J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 176 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 176 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


agriculture as an occupation. He and his
wife, Amie, reared a family of six children:
John; Caleb, who never married; Stephen,
Mrs. White's father; Sarah, wife of Elijah
Eastwood; Rhoda, wife of James Eastwood;
and Maria, wife of Robert Brockway.

Stephen Turner was born in 1793. in the
town of Pawling, Dutchess county, and grew
to manhood there. His gallant service in the
war of 181 2 entitled him to a pension, and he
also drew 160 acres of land which he cultivated
in his later years. He married Miss Sarah
Eastwood, daughter of George and Rachel
Eastwood. Her father was a well-known
school teacher. Mrs. White was one of eleven
children, who all married as follows: Alexan-
der — Miss Margaret Brent; Caleb — Miss Cath-



erine Morse; Lyman — Miss Pattie Daiken;
Lydia — John \\'erdon ; Henry — Miss Cath-
erine Lent; Ferman — Miss Charlotte Turner;
Robert — Miss Charlotte Fairchild; Peter —
Miss Eliza BuUard; Lucy A. — John White;
Emma J. — Gilbert Bullard; and Bennett — Miss
Ann Eliza \\'ashburn.



GEORGE FRANIvLIN LEE, the genial
_ and enterprising proprietor of the "Lee
House, " at Pawling, Dutchess county, has
made that well-known hotel one of the best
houses of its class in that locality. Energetic
in action and sound in business judgment, his
success is a natural result of his practical and
effective management.

His family is of English origin, and several
generations have made their home in Litchfield
county. Conn., where George Lee, our sub-
ject's grandfather, was born. He passed his
life there as a farmer. To him and his wife
were born six children: Ward, the eldest;
Jane, who married George Ferris and moved
to Wisconsin; Sarah, wife of Charles Travis,
of Yates county, N. Y. ; Louisa, wife of George
Travis, of Penn Yan, N. Y. ; Emma, wife of
George Wickam, of Havana, Schuyler Co.,
N. Y. ; and Egbert, our subject's father, who was
born at the old home, in Litchfield county, Conn.
Egbert learned the blacksmith's trade, and,
coming to Dutchess county in early manhood,
followed that business in the town of Dover,
and later in Clang Hollow, town of Unionvale,
where he located about 1852. In 1865 he re-
turned to Dover and worked for three years,
and in 1874 gave up his trade to go into the
hotel business at the old " Fowler House," in
Hyde Park, in partnership with our subject.
He remairied there two years, and then moved
to Poughkeepsie and bought a saloon and liv-
ery stable, which he sold two years later,
when he moved to Pawling to spend his re-
maining years, his death occurring there about
1 88 1. He was a Democrat, and took a great
interest in local politics, serving as supervisor
and collector in the town of Dover, and as col-
lector in the town of Unionvale. A man of
generous disposition and much public spirit,
he had many friends, while in business circles
he was regarded as a shrewd and successful
manager of his varied enterprises, and he cer-
tainly was one of the best blacksmiths in the
county. During the war he worked in the
South on a Mississippi river boat, for a man



010



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD



named Bostvvick. He married Abbie Jane
Cary, and seven children were born to the
union: Egbert M., a blacksmith, formerly of
the town of Amenia, later of Waterbury, Conn. ;
George F. , our subject; Janie, who married
(first) \\'iiliain Wright, (second) Charles V'iliin-
ger, and (thirdj George Geddings, who is in the
United States mail service; Sarah Ann, de-
ceased, formerly the wife of Myron Wickam;
Maryette, deceased, who married William R.
Lee; Martha; and Perry, a painter, of Amenia.
The Carey family have been residents of Litch-
field countj', Conn., for many j'ears.

George F. Lee was born in the town of
Dover, December 19, 1848, and his education
was mainly acquired in the district schools of
Unionvale, wfiich he attended until he was
about eighteen years old. He had learned the
blacksmith's trade in the meantime, and after
leaving school conducted a shop on Chestnut
Ridge for two years, when he sold out and
went to Dover Plains to work at the trade with
Matthew Borden. A year later he entered the
employ of Milton Bain, then the proprietor of
the " Dover House," and, after one year with
him, he spent about a year and a half as clerk for
Jud Landing, just across the street. The next
three years he spent at Falls Village, Conn.,
as clerk for E;^ra Dudley, and Mr. Lee then
purchased a saloon and put in billiard tables,
the first that had ever been brought to the
town. He remained there some time, boarding
with Mr. Dudley, and then sold the business
and went to Hyde Park, where he rented the
old "Fowler House" of J. T. Stoughtenburgh,
and conducted it for three years, his father be-
ing a partner for a time, as has been stated.
On selling out this business to J. W. Hinkley,
of the A'czus, Mr. Lee went to Poughkeepsie,
and for one year ran a restaurant, under the
old "Poughkeepsie House," and a livery
stable, in the rear, but in 1878 he sold these
enterprises and moved to Pawling. There he
rented a bar room of George Norton, which
he conducted for three years, and then he
bought the "Travelers' House" and spent eight
j-ears in managing it, with Henry Wheeler as
partner for one year, and H. C. Brooks for
another. During this time ^^r. Lee had es-
tablished the first bottling works ever opened
in Pawling, and when the building was burned
in 1 889 he determined to erect a hotel upon the
same site, and accordingly the "Lee House"
was completed in the following year. With
the exception of one year when the hotel was



rented to Mr. Gardner, he has managed it
himself, meeting with marked success.

Politically, Mr. Lee has always been a
Democrat, and gives active support to the
party in his locality. He has been a member
of the county committee for five years, and
has held the office of school trustee for three
years. In 1890 he was elected supervisor
for one term, and in 1893 was chosen, for a
term, highway commissioner. In local affairs
of a non-political sort he is active also, and he
belongs to Patterson Lodge No. 173, I.O.O.F. ,
of Pawling. He has a pleasant home in
Pawling, his family not residing in the hotel.
His wife, to whom he was married in 1873,
was formerly Miss Mary A. Beden, whose
father, Henry Beden, was a well-known citi-
zen of Falls Village, Conn. Two sons were
born of this union — Henry A. and Philo B.



PHILIP H. STICKLE. The subject of
this sketch has been for some years prom-
inent among the farmers of Dutchess county,
having a fine estate pleasantly located in the
town of Red Hook, it being one of the best-
appointed homesteads in the locality, and on
account of his strict integrity and high charac-
ter, he is numbered among its most valued
citizens.

John F. Stickle, his paternal grandfather,
was a native of Red Hook town, where he was
engaged in farming during his manhood, and
he there married Hannah Fraleigh. Theirson,
Peter Stickle, was the father of our subject.
He was also born in Red Hook town, where on
reaching a sufficient age he attended the dis-
trict schools, and as a means of livelihood he
followed farming. By his marriage with Miss
Sarah Feller, he had two sons: John W. , who
married a Mrs. Shook; and Philip H., of this
review.

Our subject was born upon the old Stickle
homestead in the town of Red Hook, which
has now been in the possession of the family
for over a century and a half. His school daj's
being over, he took up the occupation which
his ancestors had followed, and now owns the
old farm, which comprises 250 acres of valu-
able land. Although a general farmer, he
makes a specialty of fruit culture, having upon
his place fine varieties of peaches, grapes, ap-
ples, currants, etc.

As a companion and helpmeet on life's jour-
ney, Afr. Stickle chose Miss Nellie R. Ring,



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPEICAL RECORD.



911



and by their marriage they have two children:
Alva K., born July 5, 186S; and Frank W.,
born March, 1873. Moses Ring, Mrs. Stickle's
father, was a son of George and Elizabeth
Ring, the latter of New York City, and in his
family were six children, namely: Elizabeth,
who became the wife of George Fellows; Nel-
lie R., the wife of our subject; Eugene, who
first wedded Sarah Hunt, and, after her death,
Emma Hunt; Alonzo, who married Balinda
Cramer; John, who married Lizzie I'J.eins-
burgh, and, after her death, Mary Dolle; and
George Lewis.

Mr. Stickle takes quite an active interest in
politics, believing in the principles of the Dem-
ocratic party, and to these gives his honest
support. He has been quite prominent in local
affairs, officiating as supervisor of Red Hook
town, and as excise commissioner. Socially,
he is connected with the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and religiously holds member-
ship with the Lutheran Church. His industry
and enterprise have secured for him an envia-
ble position among the progressive and well-
to-do farmers of the town of Red Hook.



JOHN W. BUTTS, one of the most promi-
nent and successful business men of the
town of Stanford, Dutchess county, was
born Maj' 19, 1835, upon the farm where he
now resides, which has been for several gener-
ations the home of the Butts famil}-.

William Butts, our subject's father, was
born in Stanford, November 15, 1808, a son
of Moses Butts, and died there May 28, 1882,
having been engaged all his life in farming.
He attended the Christian Church, and was an
exemplary citizen, holding the high regard of.
all who knew him. He belonged to the Ma-
sonic order, and was buried with their impres-
sive ritual. In politics he was 'a Democrat.
On June 3, 1831, he was married to his first
wife. Miss Eliza J. Truesdale, and their chil-
dren were: William, born March 4, 1832, now
a resident of Valley Falls, Kans. ; John W. , our
subject; Walter D., born July 19, 1839, mar-
ried Catherine Humphrey, and died on Octo-
ber 22, 1870, followed August 16, next year,
by his wife; and Eliza Jane, born July 19,
1839, died September 28, 1839. On January
23, 1840, Mr. Butts married for his second
wife Miss Deborah Case, a daughter of Nathan
Case. She was born December 21, 1802, and
died February 6, 1892.



John \V. Butts, our subject, attended a
district school near Cold Spring during boy-
hood, and laid the foundation for a good prac-
tical education which his native ability and
habits of observation have enabled him to ac-
quire. He has always lived upon the old
homestead, having assisted his father until the
latter's death. March 21, 1861, he was mar-
ried to Miss Tamma Humphrey, a descendant
of one of the old families of the town of Stan-
ford, her great-grandfather Humphrey having
settled there in the eighteenth century. Her
grandfather, James Humphrey, a farmer there,
married Abigail Canfield, and had eight chil-
dren: Nathan, John, Henry, William, Asahel,
Ira, Dama and Tamma, of whom, Ira is now
the only survivor. William Humphrey, Mrs.
Butt's father, was born in 1804, and died in
1882. He was a shoemaker by trade, but in
later years followed farming in Stanford until
his retirement from active business, when he
moved to Bangall. He married Eliza Johnson,
of New Paltz, a descendant of one of the early
Huguenot settlers of Ulster county, and had
three children: Charles H., a merchant of
Bangall; Abbie J., Mrs. Walter Adsit; and
Tamma, Mrs. Butts. Three children were
born to our subject and his wife: (i) Ella
Jane, July 17, 1862, was married June i,
1887, to Elmer G. Story, of Bay Side, L. I.
(now in the Custom House in New York City),
and has two children — Ethel B. and Ernest D.
(2) Mary, February 24, 1864, was married
December 16, 1891, to Lincoln Husted, of
Stanford, and has one child, Lee J. (3) Will-
iam H., July 21, 1868, now a farmer near the
homestead, was married December 7, 1892,
to Adelaide Deyo, and has one son, John
W.. Jr.

The farm belonging to Mr. Butts is one of
the largest in the county, comprising 350 acres
of choice land, which is kept in fine order
under his energetic and judicious management.
Within the past few years he has erected a
handsome mansion and farm buildings of mod-
ern plan. For twenty years he has been ex-
tensively engaged in the commission and
freighting business, dealing in farm produce.
His known responsibility and high reputation
for fair dealing have brought him a large
patronage, the greater part of the produce of
the town being handled by him, as the farm-
ers prefer to sell to him rather than to
strangers there or in New York. In politics
he is a Democrat, and he takes an active and



912



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



influential part in all local affairs. He has
been commissioner of higfivvays, town super-
visor for three terms, and for the last twenty-
three years he has been postmaster at Mc-
Intyre.



riLLIAM DOLAN, an energetic and ef-
M|t ficient einploye of the Harlem Division,
New York Central & Hudson River R. R.,
was born September 19, 1862, in the town of
Amenia, Dutchess county, and received his
education in the schools of that locality. His
father, John Dolan, is a prominent agricultur-
ist there, and until the age of twenty-nine our
subject worked upon the farm, but in i8gi he
entered the service of the railroad company as
brakeman, and still holds that position. In
1891 he was married to Miss Bridget Callnan,
daughter of Michael and Bridget Callnan, of
Carconlish, County Limerick, Ireland, and they
have a pleasant home in Dover Plains, bright-
ened by the merry voices of three children:
William A., born in 1891; Rebecca, in 1893;
and John E., in 1895.

The Dolan family is of Irish origin, the old
home being in County Roscommon. Thomas
Dolan, our subject's grandfather, was a life-
long resident there, and was engaged in farm-
ing for many years. He and his wife had five
children: Thomas, who married Bridget Car-
rol; John, our subject's father; and three
daughters, Bridget, Anna and Mary, who never
married. John Dolan was born in 18 12, and
received a good education in the schools of his
native county. He assisted his father, learn-
ing the details of farm work, and on attaining
his majority in 1833, came to America in search
of wider opportunities. About a year after his
arrival he settled in South Amenia, Dutchess
county, and purchased the farm where he now
resides at the good old age of eighty-four. He
married Miss Rebecca Kelley, a native of
County Roscommon, Ireland, and daughter of
Charles and Anna Kelley. Eleven children
were born of this n-.arriage: Thomas, who
died in Memphis, Tenn. ; John, who married
Maggie Lary; Charles, who married Ellen
Powers; James, who married Kate Kelley;
W^illiam, our subject; Edward, unmarried;
Maggie, who died at the age of thirty years;
Rebecca, living at home; Eliza, who died in
infancy; Annie, the wife of Lawrence Dahoney;
and Eliza (2) who is at home.

Mrs. Dolan's father, Michael Callnan, was



a farmer at Carconlish, Ireland, where the an-
cestors of her mother, Bridget Murnan, also
had their home. Cue Murnan, her grand-
father, was born and educated there, and
was a laborer during the greater part of his
life. His wife's name is unknown, but their
seven children were: Cue, who married Miss
Geary; Patrick; John; Margaret, who mar-
ried a Mr. Geary; Mary, Mrs. Pat Roach;
Kate, Mrs. Michael Welch; and Bridget, Mrs.
Dolan's mother. Michael and Bridget Call-
nan had five children, of whom, Mrs. Dolan
was the youngest. The others are Michael,
who married Johanna Shine; John, who is not
married; Kate, Mrs. Thomas Kelley; and Mary,
Mrs. John Welch.



GEORGE PEATTIE, an enterprising and
_ prosperous business citizen of Fishkill-on-
Hudson, Dutchess county, is a member of the
well-known firm of Peattie Brothers, who are
manufacturers of sleighs and carriages, deal-
ers in harness and fittings, proprietors of an
extensive livery stable, and large holders of
real estate. It would be difficult to find a
firm which has covered so varied a field of
effort with such uniform success. He was
born in New York City June 11, 1852. His
father (the late George Peattie) was born in
1 8 14 at St. Andrews, Fifeshire, Scotland, and
at one tmie owned the land on the corner of
West Broadway and Hudson street. New
York City, now occupied by H. K. Thurber &
Co., and carried on the blacksmith's trade
there. Later he moved to Cold Spring. N. Y.,
and in October, 1855, he came to F"ishkill-on-
Hudson. He met his death June 22, 1881,
at the Hudson River Depot, in New York City,
a trunk falling upon him. His wife was a lady
of Irish blood. Miss Ann McCormick, by whom
he had six children: James, William H.,
George, Charles, Robert and Margaret A.

After acquiring a good English education in
in the schools of Fishkill, the subject of this
sketch, at the age of seventeen, went to New
York City, and spent three years with N. H.
Gray, of No. 27 Wooster street, learning the
wagon and sleighmaker's trade, and then went
to Yorkville and worked two years with W. H.
Dunns, a manufacturer of coach bodies. In
1 87 1 he and his brothers, James and William,
built a wagon and sleigh factory in Fishkill, at
the corner of Main and Cedar streets, and two
years later added to it the livery business.



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



913.



Both enterprises were carried on successfully
until February 8, 1895, when the entire plant
was destroyed by fire. Nothing daunted, the
firm resumed business in a shed at their pres-
ent location, and proceeded to build their
handsome new repository and livery stable,
covering 100x150 feet of space. They have
also been extensively engaged in the building
of houses and business blocks, and have done
much to improve and develop the town. Since
1875 they have erected forty-one detached
dwelling houses, which they rent, and in 1892
they built the Peattie Block, a brick structure
three stories high, containing eight flats and
three stores, all fitted up according to modern
ideas of comfort and convenience. On Sep-
tember I, 1894, they opened to the public the
Academy of ^fusic. another large building
costing $35,000, which is managed by Clark &
Peattie. The latter is William Peattie, who,
in addition to his care of the interests of the
firm, is a director in one of the banks, and for
fifteen years past has been auditor of the town.
The subject of this sketch is prominent in
local affairs, and a valued adviser in the Dem-
ocratic party. In the spring of 1894 he was
a candidate for the office of president of the
village, but was defeated by a small majority,
and for the past year he has been a member
of the board of education. Mr. Peattie mar-
ried Miss Bridget Meeley, daughter of Patrick
Meeley, and has had ten children: Mary,
Charles, Lauretta, Edward, Maggie, Hugh,
Celia, Lenna, Ruth, and Alice, of whom, all
but Lenna and Ruth are living. The family
are leading members of St. Joseph's Roman
Catholic Church. Mr. Peattie belongs to the
Order of Foresters and to the Catholic Benev-
olent League.



RNOUT CANNON (deceased). To the
b^ artistic taste and faithful workmanship
of the late Arnout Cannon, a prominent con-
tractor and builder of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess
county, the "Queen City of the Hudson"
owes many of her most notable structures.
During the forty-si.\ years of his active busi-
ness life there, he erected public buildings and
private residences which will long remain as
monuments of his skill, among which may be
specially mentioned the Home for the Friend-
less.

Mr. Cannon was born July 13, 1805, in
New York City, and there learned the trade of
59



a mechanic. In 1836 he came to Poughkeep-
sie and engaged in the building business, in
which he continued until his death, September
12, 1882. He was a member of the Masonic
fraternity, Lodge No. 266, Poughkeepsie, and
held a leading place in many of the progressive
movements of the day in his locality. In New
York City he was married to Miss Naomi Chil-
son, a native of Orange county, N. Y. , born
June 1 1, 1812, and eight children came of this
union: Hester (deceased); George W. , a re-
tired business man of Poughkeepsie; Charles
H., a well-known carpenter there; Arnout, Jr.,
our subject; William H., a resident of Chi-
cago; Maria, widow of James Gifford; Corne-
lius L. , a leading contractor and builder of
Poughkeepsie; and Emma Kate, the wife of
Charles E. Schon. The mother of this fam-
ily is still living in Poughkeepsie.

Arnout Cannon, Jr., was born August 3,
1839, in the city of Poughkeepsie, and after
acquiring an education in the public schools
and the Dutchess County Academy, he at the
age of fifteen began to learn his father's trade,
spending four years with him. He then went
to New York City, where for two years he
was in the office of Frederick Diaper, studying
architecture; in the spring of 1862 he returned
to his native place and established himself in
business as an architect in an office at the
corner of Main and Catherine streets. In
August of the same year he enlisted in the
128th N. Y. V. I. and served in that regiment
until after the siege of Port Hudson; he also
took part in the siege of Mobile. He was
usually assigned to duty as an engineer, and
among other works on which he was engaged
was the dam on the Red river. In 1863 he
was transferred to the command of some
colored troops who fought so nobly in that
campaign, and became second lieutenant, first
lieutenant, captain, and lieut'enant-colonel of
the gallant Ninety-seventh U. S. Col. Inf.
On receiving his discharge in April, 1865, he
returned to resume work as an architect, and
has been in active business ever since. In

1893 Walter Scofield became his partner; in

1894 Percival Lloyd entered the firm, and
since Mr. Scofield's retirement in April, 1895,
the firm has been known as Cannon & Lloyd.
Mr. Cannon is in the front rank in his profes-
sion, and has executed with marked ability
some very important commissions. Among
his largest buildings are the Vassar Brothers'
Home for Aged Men, the Vassar Brothers'



914



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Institute, the Vassar Brothers' Library, the
Masonic Temple, and the Nelson House
Annex.

In February, 1862, Mr. Cannon was mar-
ried to Miss Ann E. Davis, who died leaving
three children: Ida Frances, Howard and
Grace. In 1879 he was married to Miss Emily
J. Pelton, by whom he has one son, Pelton.
With his war record it may be supposed that
Mr. Cannon is an enthusiastic G. A. R. man.
He belongs to D. B. Sleight Post, Poughkeep-
sie, and to the military order of the Loyal
Legion. He is also a member of the I. O.
O. F. , Fallkill Lodge, and Poughkeepsie Lodge
No. 266, F. & A. M.



JOSEPH H. MULCOX, the well-known con-
tractor and builder, holds a leading place
among the enterprising and prominent men
of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, materially
aiding the developm.ent and progress of the
municipality. He is a native of that city, hav-
ing been born there July 17, 1834, and he is a
son of Joseph Mulco.x, who was born in the
town of Fishkill, Dutchess county, December
i6, 1802.

Benjamin Mulcox, the grandfather of (jur
subject, was a native of Yorkshire. England,
and after coming to this country was for many
years engaged in farming and cheese making
in Dutchess county, N. Y. In his family were
two sons, Benjamin and Joseph. By occupa-
tion the latter was a truckman of Poughkeep-
sie, and in politics he was an ardent Republic-
an. He married Miss Cornelia Kipp, who
was born in Dutchess count}", of Holland line-
age, and was a daughter of Jacob Kipp, an
agriculturist. She departed this life in 1892,
and January 3, 1893, her husband was also
called to his long home.

Joseph H. Mulcox, whose name introduces
this sketch, is the third in order of birth in the
family of nine children born to Joseph and
Cornelia Mulcox, the others being as follows:
Theodore, formerly an extensive contractor
and builder of Poughkeepsie, died in 1880;
Mathias was a carpenter, member of the firm
of Mulcox Brothers of that city; George, who
was a commission merchant of New York, died
in 1893; Sylvester is a policeman of Jersej'
City, N. J. ; Frederick is a carpenter of
Poughkeepsie; Benjamin died in infancy; Ceiia
A. is married, and lives in Poughkeepsie; and
Mary E. died in 1859 at the age of twenty-



four years. Our subject spent his boyhood
days in Poughkeepsie midst play, v.ork and
study, and March i, 1853, began learning the
carpenter's trade with James S. Post, for whom
he worked seventeen years. He then formed
a partnership with his brothers under the



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 176 of 183)