J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 178 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

and Maria, who became the wife of Daniel
Paults. After the death of his first wife the
father wedded Miss Margaret Cole, and to them
were born two children: Elizabeth, who mar-
ried Daniel C. Perine; and Christian, of this
review.

Christian AUendorf developed into man-
hood amid the scenes of his native town, re-
ceiving his education in the district schools of
the neighborhood. He had quite an eventful
life. For many years he was engaged in the
mercantile business at Upper Red Hook, and
filled many public offices in the town. For
some time before his death he had a contract
for carrying the United States mail from the
depot to the post office at Upper Red Hook, a
distance of about three miles, and. although
he was seventy-seven years old at the time, he
attended to the business with promptness and
dispatch. He had the respect of all, both
young and old, rich and poor, and in his de-



mo



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPUICAL RECORD.



dining days he enjoyed the reward of a well-
ordered hfe, in which he had been faithful to
the trusts reposed in him.

On reaching manhood Mr. AUendorf was
united in marriage with Miss Ellen Lown, and
five children were born of this union: Eliza-
beth, wife of Philip AUendorf; Eugene, who
married Anna Smith; John; Caroline; and
one who died in infancy. For his second wife
our subject married Mrs. Permelia Wheeler,
widow of Samuel Wheeler. Her father, Philip
Feller, was a prominent farmer of Columbia
county, N. Y. He was three times married,
his first wife being Hannah Hapeman, his sec-
ond Catherine Miller, and the third Mary
Ringsdorf, the mother of Mrs. AUendorf, who
was a native of Columbia county. Eight chil-
dren were born of the third union, namely:
Mary became the wife of Randall Judd; Lu-
cinda wedded Ephraim Wheeler; Philip mar-
ried Cornelia Pulver; Andrew married (first)
Mary Hayner, (second) Catherine Allen, and
his third wife is unknown; Marilla became
the wife of John Stearns; William married
Susan Allen, and, after her death, Miss Groves;
Permelia became the wife of our subject; and
John remained single.

The maternal grandfather of Mrs. AUen-
dorf, John Ringsdorf, was a native of the Fa-
therland, and on emigrating to the New World
located in Columbia county, N. Y., where he
married Miss Mary Lasher, and to them were
born six children: Mary, the mother of Mrs.
AUendorf; Catherine, who married Jeremiah
Cronk; Christiana, who wedded John Finger;
Elizabeth, who became the wife of Baltis
Wheeler; Andrew, who never married; and
Simon (or Simeon), who married Elizabeth
Coon.



D|R. CHAS. H. PERKINS. The subject
' of this sketch, one of the successful

young business men of Dutchess county, was
born in the town of Poughkeepsie, said coun-
ty, April 27, 1865, and is one of a family of
five children born to Ale.xander W. and Elsie
A. (Kay) Perkins, whose homestead was situ-
ated on the old Post road, about three miles
south of Poughkeepsie. Their five children
were as follows: Amelia, wife of Joseph
Doughty, of Salt Point, Dutchess county; Ed-
ward E., of whom sketch is elsewhere in this
volume; Charles H., our subject; Warren J.,
residing in Brooklyn, N. Y. , and Lena E. The



mother of these children died some years ago,
and the father, having left the old homestead,
makes his home in Brooklyn, New York.

Charles H., our subject, spent his boyhood
on the old farm and attended the common school
at the old Spackenkill school house in the neigh-
borhood, and then for four years was a pupil in
Poughkeepsie at the old Pelham Institute and
Poughkeepsie Military Academy. In 1 882 he be-
came an apprentice, with the then well-known
jewelry firm of Myers & Marble, of Poughkeep-
sie, to learn the trade of watch making, and
after three years of careful application with
them, in which he mastered the business, he
became the general watchmaker and engraver
for the firm of Quintard Bros., in the same
city, and continued in said capacity for three
years. While with them he was offered, by
the Non-Magnetic Watch Co. of America, a
position as their traveling expert and demon-
strator, his business being to introduce their
non-magnetic watch throughout the United
States. He traveled throughout the Union
showing and explaining the watch for about a
year, when he was offered the position of
chief time inspector for the Chicago & North-
western railroad and the Chicago, Rock Island
& Pacific railroad. His duties were to in-
spect and superintend changes each month on
all the railroad watches and clocks, thus
traveling over both roads. This position he
filled for two years, giving eminent satisfaction
to the managers of both roads. While thus
employed he become an intimate friend of Gen-
eral Superintendent Tyler of the Chicago &
Northwestern railroad, and with him pur-
chased some real estate at Montrose, a subur-
ban town of Chicago, on the Chicago & North-
western, railroad. The then approaching
World's Fair in Chicago rapidly increased the
value of suburban property, and by the sale of
his recent purchases Dr. Perkins made valu-
able profits. Just previous to this he had as-
sociated himself, as partner, with C. S. Durfee
& Co., jewelers at Davenport, Iowa, and thus
continued three years. At the end of this
time, owing to close application to his work at
the bench, his eyes began failing, and on the
advice of his physician he entered the Chicago
Ophthalmic Hospital for treatment. While
here he became deeply interested in the study
of optics and the optical profession, and selling
his jewelry business he at once took up the
study of the eye, ear and throat at said hos-
pital, and was graduated therefrom in 1892.



COMMEMOEATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



921



After finishing his studies he was united in
marriage with Miss Lydia Stark Day, daughter
of John and Katherine M. (Stark) Day, of
Tunkhannock, Penn., whom he had met while
she was a student at Vassar College. Mrs.
Perkins is a direct descendant from old Gen.
Stark of Revolutionary fame, and her grand-
father, Samuel Stark, of Tunkhannock, was
one of the most prominent and wealthy citi-
zens of Wyoming county.

After his marriage Dr. Perkins came back
to Dutchess county, and forming a partnership
with his half brother, J. A. Perkins, opened a
jewelry and optical business at 292J Main
street, paying especial attention to the optical
branch of the business. Their business rapidly
increasing necessitated larger quarters, and the
same year (1892) they removed to their com-
modious store at 322 Main street, where under
the name of Perkins & Company their business
has since been conducted. As general jewel-
ers and manufacturing opticians their business
ranks among the foremost in the county, and
their fully equipped plant for grinding compli-
cated lenses is, without doubt, the finest along
the Hudson river; the skill evinced in this
line of work has caused that branch oi the
business to grow to such an extent that up to
1896 they had examined the eyes and fitted
glasses for over ten thousand people. Among
the cases that have come to him for examination
and treatment have been many that others had
pronounced hopeless, and that yet owing to his
skill have been either entirely cured or greatly re-
lieved. Cases of epilepsy have been cured by the
careful and proper fitting of glasses. In con-
nection with his study of optics Dr. Perkins
began the stud}' of general medicine, and for
several years devoted his leisure moments to
advancing himself in that science, and by the
advice of some of his medical friends he took
the requisite examination at a medical college,
passing with a grade of ninety percent., being
considerably above the average, and securing
the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He has
since become a registered M. D. in several
States. But not for a moment has Dr. Perkins
relinquished his study of optometry, but in-
stead has been greatly aided therein by his
added knowledge of the human system, and to
still further perfect himself in this branch he
frequently attends the New York Opthalmic
Hospital, and assists in operations there. Dr.
Perkins has also prepared and placed on the
market a wash for sore and inflamed eyes,



known as " Dr. Perkins' Antiseptic Eyewater,"
which is wonderfully effective in the cure of
Catarrhal Conjunctivitis, commonly known as
" Pink Eye."

Dr. Perkins is a member of the Royal Ar-
canum, and is vice-chancellor of Triumph
Lodge, K. of P., of Poughkeepsie, besides
belonging to several optical and medical socie-
ties. Dr. Perkins and his estimable wife oc-
cupy a prominent place in Poughkeepsie 's
social circle, and at their modern and commo-
dious home, which they have purchased on
South Hamilton street, they are always pleased
to entertain their many friends.



ROOKS VERMILYEA, a most highly re-
spected citizen of the town of Unionvale,
is numbered among the elderly residents of the
community, and is held in that reverence and
esteem which is accorded those whose lives
have been characterized by integrity and use-
fulness. A native of Dutchess county, he was
born in the town of Beekman, in 181 1, and
has here passed his entire life.

His father, Isaac G. Vermilyea, was born
in what was then Beektnan town, but is now
Lagrange, in July, 1768, and after the comple-
tion of his education engaged in agricultural

pursuits. He married Miss Catherine ,

whose birth occurred on the 4th of July, 1 776 —
the day so dear to the hearts of the American
people, when they announced to the world
their independence.

Nine children were born to the parents of
our subject: (i) Elizabeth, born October 23,
1794, married Daniel Billings, a shoemaker,
and they had four children— Isaac, John, Sarah
and Catherine. (2) Jane, born March 2, 1796,
married Alex Homan, a farmer, and they had
two children — Alexander and Phtebe. (3)
Peter, born September 25, 1797, in the town
of Beekman, followed farming as a life work,
and married Miss Van Nostran, by whom
he liad two sons — George and John. (4)
Maria, born April 7, 1799, married Enoch G.
Dorland, a farmer, and they had four children
— Gilbert, Catherine, Vermilyea and Samuel.
(5) Gerardus, born in the town of Beekman,
January 26, iSoi, engaged in farming, but was
a shoemaker by trade; he married Miss V'an-
Nostran, by whom he had eight children —
Cromwell, Isaac, Oscar, Walter, Calle (who
married Irving Vermilyea), Jane, Minnie and
Catherine. The father of these children is



922



COMMEMORATIVE BWQhAFUICAL RECORD.



still living in Lagrange town, Dutchess county,
at the advanced age of ninety-five years, and
is quite active. (6) John K., born September
i6, 1802. was educated at both Williams and
Yale Colleges, later studied medicine and en-
gaged in its practice in the town ot East Fish-
kill, near Hopewell Junction. He had four
children by his first wife — Dupertrain, Gerar-
dus, Anna R. and Lucy. (7) Caroline, born
January 29, 1804, died when young. (8)
Brooks, of this sketch, was born February 27,
181 1. (9) Valentine, born April 4, 1818, at-
tended the New York Medical College, and,
after his graduation, engaged in practice in
Illinois. He married a Miss Davis.

The primary education of Brooks Vermil-
yea was obtained in the district schools near
his early home, and he was, later, a student in
a boarding school. By trade he is a weaver,
at which he worked for a time, but his atten-
tion has been principally given to agricultural
pursuits. On attaining to man's estate he was
united in marriage with Miss Charity Shear,
whose death occurred in 1851; she left three
children, all of whom were born, reared and
educated in Lagrange town, Duichess county:
(i) Addison, born in 1 841, follows farming. (2)
Irving, born in 1843, engaged in the sam.e pur-
suit at Low Point. He married Callie Vermil-
yea, a cousin, and they have one son, Horatio
S. (3) Abrarn, born in 1848. also carries on
farming. After the death of his first wife.
Brooks Vermilyea was again married, his
second union being with Miss Lydia A. Donald-
son, who was born August 19, 1827, and died
in 1893.



WILLIAM T. PHILLIPS, one of the suc-
cessful agriculturists of this section,

owning a large farm near Red Hook, Dutchess
county, is descended from a family which is
noted for those practical qualities of thrift and
industry which distinguish the tillers of the soil.
His grandfather, Jacob Phillips, was a
farmer in Columbia county in his early man-
hood, but shortly after his marriage he and his
wife moved to Dutchess county and settled
upon a farm there. Their son, Theodore
Phillips, our subject's father, was born in Co-
lumbia county, September 25, 1845, ^^^ was
only one year old when he was brought to
Dutchess county, where he passed his life. He
became a prosperous agriculturist, raising grain,
hay, and livestock, and in 1878 he purchased



from Gilbert Fraleigh a farm containing 22S
acres of fine land, well-stocked, which his en-
ergy and enterprise enabled him to improve
greatly. Politically he was an ardent believer
in the principles of the Democratic party.

He was married (first) to Rachel Link, and
(second) to Matilda Coon, daughter of William
Coon, a farmer of the town of Milan. Two
children were born to the second union: Will-
iam T. and Merrick. The mother of these
passed to her eternal rest in 1885; the fa-
ther survived her ten years, breathing his last
in 1895.

William T. Phillips was born in the town
of Milan, Dutchess county, and recei\ed excel-
lent educational advantages in youth, attending
Hartwick Seminary. He was initiated into the
details of farm work under his father's able
guidance, and remained at the homestead, to
which he succeeded in 1895. He married Miss
Edna Case, daughter of Socatell Case, a well-
known farmer of the town of Milan, Dutchess
county. They have no children.



E\DGAR VINCENT, formerly the popu-
'I lar proprietor of the "Vincent House,"

Madalin, belongs to one of the ver\' oldest
families of Dutchess county. He was born in
the town of \\'ashington, April 19, 1832. and
there the birth of his father, Moriort\' \'incent,
also occurred. The latter married Phoebe
Fowler, of Columbia county, N. Y. , after
which they located upon a farm in Washing-
ton town, where their entire married life was
passed. Their household included ten chil-
dren: Ruth, wife of Dr. Holden; Israel, a re-
tired farmer living at Morse, 111.; Washington,
George and Franklin, all now deceased; Theo-
dore, a school teacher, of New Jersey; Edgar,
of this sketch; Moriorty, deceased; Philo, a
carriage manufacturer, of Danbury, Conn. ; and
Benjamin, who died while young. The father,
who was an ardent Republican in politics,
served as supervisor of the town of Washing-
ton, and was one of the successful farmers and
stock raisers of the locality.

The childhood and youth of our subject
was passed in the usual manner of farmer lads,
and he remained upon the home farm until
thirty-eight years of age. In 1870 he removed
to Annandale, Dutchess county, where for two
years he carried on a grocery store and hotel.
For nine years he then kept a saloon at Barry-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPmCAL RECORD.



923



town, after which he went to Tivoh, there pur-
chasing the " Farmers Hotel," which he con-
ducted for ten years and which he still owns.
On the expiration of that time, however, he
bought the hotel at Madalin, which is now
known as the " Vincent House," which he
has since sold. The interests and comforts of
his guests were always carefully looked after,
and he is one of the best-known business men
in the northern part of the county.

In 1875 was celebrated the marriage of
Mr. Vincent and Miss Estella Sagendorf, who
was born in the town of Red Hook, where her
father, Robert Sagendorf, engaged in farming,
and they now have three children: Lula,
George and Hazel. Although Mr. Vincent is
a strong Republican in politics, he prefers to
vote independently at local elections, support-
ing the man whom he thinks best able to fill
the position. His personal integrity, both in
public and private life, is of the highest order,
and he has the respect of all with whom he
comes in contact.



E



EDMUND DE WITTMULFORD, a prom-



inent resident of Hopewell Junction, and
one of Dutchess county's most intelligent and
progressive citizens, is descended from a fam-
ily which has long been identified with the
development of this section.

He is a great-great-grandson of Capt. David
Mulford, who came from Long Island in 1776,
and purchased a tract of land at Staatsburg.
He left a large family. One son, Job, re-
mained on the farm, and died and was buried
there with his father. He left one son, David,
and one daughter, Margaret, who married Dr.
Hunting Sherrill. David married Margaret
Van Hoevenberg, and left ten children. His
eldest son, David Henry, remained on part of
the original farm purchased by Capt. David
Mulford, and died there, and was buried in
Poughkeepsie cemetery. He was the founder
of Staatsburg, and when the Hudson River
railroad was built he gave the land for the sta-
tion, and built the first store and hotel. He
opened the road and built the docks and st jre-
houses at both Staatsburg and Hyde Park, and
was among the first to build ice-houses, and
gather ice from the river.

Possessing an unusually able and active
intellect, he was influential in varied lines of
effort, and was several times elected supervisor
of the town of Hyde Park, and twice to the



Assembly. His first wife, Caroline Balding
(Van Wagner), died leaving two sons, Edmund
De Witt and Francis Henry. He afterward
married C3nthia Van Benschoteij, by whom he
had one daughter, Harriet Vand'erbilt.



SAMUEL K. RUPLEY, the well-known su-
perintendent of the Western Union Tele-
graph Co., and Hudson River Co., at Pough-
keepsie, Dutchess county, was born in the city
of Lancaster, Penn., July 17, 1S43.

After going through the public schools of
Lancaster, our subject learned telegraphy in
the ofifice of the National Ohio Telegraph Co.
At the age of fifteen years he came to Pough-
keepsie and was employed as operator at the
depot of the Hudson River Co., and remained
with same until 1862, when he joined Co. F,
150th N. Y. S. W I., and was appomted Col.
Ketcham's orderl)-. In 1863 he was detailed
as operator in the United States military serv-
ice, where he remained until July, 1865, when
he was mustered out. He was connected with
the Second Army Corps, headquarters with
the Army of the Potomac. After the war Mr.
Rupley returned to Poughkeepsie and was ap-
pointed manager of the Hudson River R. R.
Telegraph Co., and also took charge of the
Western Union Telegraph ofifice in the city of
Poughkeepsie. In i 890 he was made superin-
tendent of the New York Central and Hudson
River Telegraph offices, whose wires run from
New York City to Buffalo. He also has
charge of the Western Union interests of the
P. R. & N. E., Newburgh, Dutchess & Co-
lumbia, and Poughkeepsie & Eastern railways.
In 1882 the Poughkeepsie Telephone Co. was
organized by Mr. Piatt, H. Innis, N. Taylor,
Henry Frost and Mr. Rupley. It was finally
merged into the Hudson River Telephone Co.,
and our subject is manager of its interests in
Poughkeepsie.

Mr. Rupley was married in that city Au-
gust 30, 1865, to Miss Jane E. Shurter, a
daughter of Isaac H. Shurter, and the follow-
ing children were born: Harry Mortimer inar-
ried Jennie Clifford, and they have one child-
Clifford; Mary C. married Albert E. Schwartz, _
and they have one child — John R. ; Grace died
in the spring of 1895; and Howard R. Mr.
Rupley is a Republican, and was commissioner
of the city alms house for twelve years. He is
a member of the Poughkeepsie Commander}' of



9l>4



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



the Masonic order, and of the Royal Arcanum.
He is a member of the Church of the Holy
Comforter, in which he is a trustee.

The father of our subject, Samuel Kupley,
was born in Lancaster, Penn., where he at-
tended school. He was one of the early engi-
neers of the Pennsylvania Central R. R. His
wife was a Miss Mary Martha Kendig, who
died in June, 1892. He died in 1S56. Two
of their seven children besides our subject are
now li\ing. Rev. E. E. Rupley, of Esprey,
Penn., and Nellie M. Rupley, of Lancaster.
Penn. The grandfather of our subject was also
born in Lancaster, and was of English and
German ancestry.



WILLIAM E. TRAVER, the genial and
popular proprietor of the " Traver

House," at New Hamburg, Dutchess county,
was born in the town of Hyde Park, March 31,
1864.

The family, originally from Holland, is one
of the oldest in Dutchess county. William
Traver, our subject's grandfather, was born in
this country, probably in the town of Union-
vale, and became an influential and prosperous
citizen. He was a farmer, and was also en-
gaged in speculating, and took an active and
generous interest in the Methodist Church of
his locality. His son, James L. Traver, our
subject's father, was born in the town of Pleas-
ant Valley in 1834, and still resides upon his
farm in Hyde Park. He married Miss Phoebe
Jane Laird, a lady of Scotch descent, and
daughter of John and Sarah (Leak) Laird. Her
father was at one time a teamster in Pleasant
Valley, and, later, a farmer in Hyde Park. The
Lairds and the Travers are all Democrats in
politics, and are among the most progressive
and public-spirited membersof the communitj'.

William E. Traver is the elder of two chil-
dren, his brother Irving being still at home.
After a boyhood spent upon the farm, Mr. Tra-
ver, at the age of twentj'-one, was appointed
jailer under C. W. Belding. and served in that
capacity for three years. In 1889 he engaged
in the laundry business at No. 14 Washington
street, Poughkeepsie, and after nearly two
^ years there he purchased the "Perrine House, "
at New Hamburg, which he has since con-
ducted as the " Traver House," his active and
business-like management bringing him a grati-
fying degree of success.

On June 17, 1890, he was married to Miss



Evadna Robman, a native of New York City,
and a daughter of Thomson Robman. This
family is of English origin. Mr. Traver is a
Democrat in political faith, but has never
sought official preferment. He is a member
of the B. P. O. Elks, Poughkeepsie Lodge
No. 275.



^HOMAS W\ JAYCOX (deceased;. The
JL subject of this sketch was born in the
town of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county. De-
cember 17, 1826, and was the son of Chris-
topher Jayco.x.

Our subject was reared upon the farm of
his father, and on December 17, 1S50. he was
married to Miss Sarah M. Rose, who was born
in Hyde Paric. She is the daughter of Abram
Rose, and lived in Hyde Park until sixteen
years old, when her parents bought a farm
in the town of Clinton, where she resided until
her marriage. Mr. Rose was born in Ulster
county. September 12, 1802, and married Miss
Eliza Van Wagener, who was born in the
same county, February 20. 1805, a daughter
of Minard Van Wagener, also a native of Ul-
ster county. They reared the following chil-
dren: Lewis H.. a school teacher, who was
a colonel in the Civil war, and died in Louisi-
ana in 1865; John M. was a moulder by
trade; during the gold fever he went to Cali-
fornia, and nothing more was heard of him;
William G., and George H.. twins (the former
died in infancy. George lives in Waterbury.
Conn.); Sarah M., Mrs. Jaycox; Daniel V. W.
died young; Innis E. lives in Oregon. The
grandfather of Mrs. Jaycox was nained John,
and was of Holland descent.

Mr. and Mrs. Jaycox settled on the old
homestead after their marriage, where they
lived until 1859, when he bought the present
farm, and resided there until his death, which
took place December 21, 1887. Five chil-
dren were born to our subject and his wife,
namely: Thomas W. is a civil engineer in
Leadville, Colo.; Mary R. died April 30. 1S60;
Clinton is on the home farm; Anna E. mar-
ried I. T. N. Harcourt, a grocer in Wapping-
ers Falls; Cora I. became the wife of Elmore
L. Pryor, an engraver at Wappingers Falls.
Mr. Jaycox had 100 acres, on which he did
general farming. He was a Republican and a
prominent man in politics, and held the offices
of Internal Revenue collector, and supervisor
for two terms. He was a progressive citizen



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPUICAL RECORD.



925



and took an active part in public affairs, hold-
ing at one time the office of president and
treasurer of the Dutchess County Agricultural
Society.

Christopher Jaycox was born in Pough-
keepsie, where he married Miss Antoinette