J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 19 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of the most able general practitioners in Dutch-
ess county. Immediately after graduation he
began practice in New York City, remaining
there until 1881, when he opened an office in
Millbrook, Dutchess county. In 1887, he
went to Mont Clair, N. J., but in February,
1S89, returned to Dutchess county, this time



94



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



locatinfi at Rhinebeck, where he has since suc-
cessfully prosecuted his profession. He has
built up a large and lucrative practice, but has
that true love for his work, without which
there can be no success.

In 1885 Dr. Goodell was married to Miss
Fann)' Tripp, of Millbrook, Dutchess county.
The Doctor is inclined to be independent in
political matters, but usually votes with the
Democrac}'. He holds membership with the
Episcopal Church, of which he is now serving
as warden, and wherever he goes he not only
wins friends, but has the happy faculty of being
able to retain them.



FRANK ENO, a well-known and successful
lawyer of Pine Plains, Dutchess county,

was born in 1845, in that village, in the house
he is now occupying. The family is of Eng-
lish origin, and the name is sometimes spelled
Enos.

The first of the name to come to this
country was James Eno (i), who, in 1648, lo-
cated in Windsor, Conn., married Hannah
Bidwell the same year, and had one son,
James (2), who was born in 165 1, fought in
the King Philip's war, and had his home in
Windsor. He married Abigail Bissel in 1678,
and died in the "Swamp fight," 1714. Their
second son, William (i), wedded Mary North.
The next couple in direct descent was William
(2) and Lillias (Hicks) Eno, the former of
whom was born in Simsbury, Conn., about
1726, and inherited a valuable farm from his
father, William ( 1). William (2) and his wife
had a son, Stephen, who was the grandfather
of our subject. He was born at Simsbury,
Conn., October 4, 1764, and was the first of
the family to come to Dutchess county, locat-
ing at Amenia. Later he removed to Pine
Plains, there building the office which is now
occupied by his grandson, Frank Eno, and
which has always been used as a law office.
He remained at home until ten years of age,
being taught to read by his father, and never
attended school more than two months during
his entire life. At that time he went to live
with an aunt at Egremont, Mass. , where he
remained for about five years. He had formed
a great desire for study, and not having the
opportunity to go to school, he taught himself,
slowly acquiring a knowledge of arithmetic
and writing. For a short time he worked at
several places after leaving his aunt's, and then



entered the army at New Haven, Conn.
Learning the shoemaker's trade, he worked at
that occupation at Salisbury, that State, for
six months, and later was employed by a Mr.
Sanders until he reached his majority.

At that time Stephen Eno began teaching,
while his vacations were spent in study. After
following that profession for about six years,
he began looking about him for some other
employment, and began the study of law in
the office of Philip Spencer, Jr., of Amenia,
where he had been engaged in teaching. For
a while he taught school and practiced law at
the same time. After following his profession
in the towns of Amenia, Stanford and North-
east, Dutchess county, he purchased a house
and lot in Pine Plains for $650, paying two-
thirds of the amount down, and the remainder
in one year. He was a man of fine attain-
ments, and became one of the most able law-
yers of his time in the county. His death oc-
curred in Pine Plains, in 1854, at the advanced
age of ninety years. He continued to wear
knee trousers and his hair in a queue up to the
time of his death. He was twice married, his
first union, being with Mary Denton, by whom
he had three children: Henry, who went to
California, and there became a judge; W'illiam,
the father of our subject, and Edward, who
became a resident of Springfield, 111. His
second wife bore the maiden name of Olive
Shores, and to them was born a son, Rufus.

On April 21, 1800, William (3) Eno was
born, and, like his father, he was largel)' self-
educated. In the office of the latter he studied
law, was admitted to practice in 1823, and for
forty years he was one of the prominent and
leading members of the Dutchess County Bar,
having a large and lucrative practice. In 1836
he was elected a member of the Legislature on
the Democratic ticket, and for two terms served
as district attorney when the office was filled
by appointment of the supreme court justices.
Soon after the adoption of the constitution of
1848 he was mentioned as judge of the su-
preme court; but, being fond of agricultural
pursuits, he retired, spending the remainder of
his life at Pine Plains, within two miles of his
landed estate. He was a contemporary of
Henry Swift, Charles Johnson, Stephen Cleve-
land, Seward Barcolo, Morton Swift, Elias
Cole. R. D. Davis, John \'. A. Lyle, John
Armstrong and D. V. N. Radcliff, and was sec-
ond to none of them in point of ability and ex-
tent of his practice. He was a man of great



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



s'O



natural ability, and became exceedingly promi-
nent throughout the county. He always sup-
ported the Democratic party, and attended the
Presbyterian Church. He died November 17,
1874. He was married to Eliza A. Stewart,
daughter of William Stewart, of Pine Plains,
and to them were born four children: Will-
iam Stewart, who was one of the ablest law-
yers of Dutchess county, is now president of
the Bunnell & Eno Investment Co., of Phila-
delphia, Penn. ; Henry W., who died Decem-
ber 14, 1884; Mary, now the wife of Matthew
Ellis, who is also connected with the Bunnell
& Eno Investment Co., Philadelphia; and
Frank, the subject proper of this review. The
mother's death occurred April 10, 1882.

Frank Eno was educated at College Hill,
under Mr. Bisbee, where he took the four-
years' course. After leaving school he began
the study of law in his father's office, and was
admitted to the bar May 13, 1868, since
which time he has successfully engaged in
general practice in the surrogate court, and
has had much to do in the settlement of
estates. He has one of the finest law libraries
in the county, accumulated through three gen-
erations, and has ever been a thorough stu-
dent of his profession, possessing many of the
traits that distinguished his father and grand-
father as sound advocates and able lawyers.
Mr. Eno is also interested in agriculture, hav-
ing a fine farm of between 500 and 600 acres,
whereon he has an excellent herd of Jersey
cattle. He had "Signal Queen" at the
World's Fair, and took a medal in the grand
contest for cheese. On June 15, 1881, Mr.
Eno married Miss Rachel Rudd, daughter of
Charles Rudd, of Gallatin, Columbia Co.,
N. Y., and of this union have been born five
children: William Rudd, Charles, Fanny,
Mary and Rachel.

In political campaigns, Mr. Eno has long
been a potent factor in the support of Demo-
cratic principles, and during President Cleve-
land's second term he was appointed post-
master at Pine Plains. He has always taken
a deep interest in educational matters, is presi-
dent of the Seymour Smith Academy, and
established the Pine Plains Free Library.
With Stissing Lodge No. 615, F. & A. M., he
holds membership, of which for fifteen years
he has been master, and also belongs to the
Chapter and Commandery in Poughkeepsie.
He and his wife attend the Meth:^dist Church.
Socially, he is deservedly popular, as he is



affable and courteous in manner, and possesses
the essential qualification to success in public
life, that of making friends readily and of
strengthening the ties of all friendships as time
advances.



|#/TLLIAM AUGUSTUS DAVIES (de-
Jml ceased ) was born in Poughkeepsie,
May 10, 1808. His great-great-grandfather,
John Davis, of Kington Parish, Hereford, En-
gland, was of a distinguished Welsh family de-
riving an unbroken descent from the famous
Cymric Efell, Lord of Elwys Eyie, who lived
A. D. 1200, son of Madocap Meredith, Prince
of Powys Fadoc, sixth in descent from the heir
of Merwyn, King of Powis, third son of Rodic
Maur.

John Davies came to America in 1735, and
settled in Litchfield county. Conn., where he
purchased large tracts of land, and where his
name is still held in honored remembrance for
his good works, especially fot his generous
gifts toward the support of his mother Church
of England, then struggling for existence in the
Colonies. He was the grandfather of Rev.
Thomas Davies, missionary of the Society for
the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts,
who was ordained to the priesthood by the
Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Seeker, in Lam-
beth Chapel August 23, 1761. The ministry
of Rev. Thomas Davies, though brief, was ex-
ceedingly useful. He had charge of several
parishes in Connecticut, among them St. Mich-
ael's Church, Litchfield, of which his grandfa-
ther was the founder. He died in 1766 at the
early age of twenty-nine, leaving two children
— a son and a daughter, the former being Will-
iam Davies, who settled in Poughkeepsie early
in the present century. William Augustus
Davies was the youngest of William DavieS's
seven children, and was born in his father's
house at the foot of Main street, where he lived
(except during the time he was at school and
at Trinity College, Hartford, Conn.) until
1842. He devoted himself to the management
of his property in Dutchess and Ulster coun-
ties, of which he and his brother, Thomas L.
Davies, inherited several thousand acres from
their father; and was one of the original Board
of Directors of the Farmers' and Manufacturers'
National Bank of Poughkeepsie, remaining on
the board till his death, and holding the office
of president from 1843 until 1892.

He was a faithful communicant of the



96



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Church of which his grandfather was a priest,
and for many \ears represented his parish in
the conventions of the Diocese of New York,
and was several times a deputy to the general
convention as a delegate from that Diocese.
His greatest work among his many works for
the Church, was the building, entirely at his
own expense, of the Church of the Holy Com-
forter, which stands at the corner of Main
street and Davies place, and is one of the
younger Upjohn's best designs. In the noble
work it has done and is still doing, it is a wor-
thy monument of his generosity and benevo-
lence.

In 1842 he married Miss Sarah Van Wag-
enen (daughter of Herbert Van Wagenen),
who died in 1858, leaving no children. It was
in her memory that the Church of the Holy
Comforter was built. In 1861 he married
Miss Frances Mary Barritt, daughter of Josiah
Barritt. To them were born two sons, Will-
iam and Augustus, the first of whom died in
infancy.

Only those who knew Mr. Davies intimately
could fully appreciate the beauty of his char-
acter, which was remarkable from his earliest
childhood for the same generosity, unselfish-
ness and simplicity which distinguished him
through life. It can be said with truth that
he never intentionally hurt anybody, either by
word or deed, but was ever thoughtful and
considerate, courteous and pitiful, honoring all
men. He died on the sixth of August, 1896,
in the eighty-ninth year of his age.



BARCLAY HAVILAND, a well-known cit-
, izen of Millbrook, Dutchess county, was

born in the town of Dover, December 18,
1 81 2. The first of the name to come to
this country was either William or Benja-
min Haxiland, who emigrated from England
and settled on Long Island at an early day in
the history of the Colonies. From him in
direct descent was his son Benjamin Haviland,
who was born on Long Island; his son, Ben-
jamin (2), was born in 1698; his son, Isaac
Haviland, was born in August, 1751, in West-
chester county, N. Y. ; his son, Eleazer, was
born May 27, 1777, in New Fairfield, Conn.;
his son, Barclay, is the subject of this sketch.
Benjamin Haviland, our subject's great-
grandfather, married Charlotte Park, the
daughter of a French Huguenot. They settled
in Westchester county, where they owned a



farm of 400 acres, and there reared a family
of thirteen children.

Isaac Haviland, our subject's grandfather,
grew to manhood in his native county, and
after his marriage to Anna Howland, removed
to Fairfield county. Conn., where he owned
and carried on a farm of 800 acres of land,
and was well-to-do. Eleazer, the eldest of
his five children, was married in 1798 to Abi-
gail Hiller, daughter of Nathan Hiller, a farmer
in the town of Dover. Like his ancestors,
Eleazar Haviland, was a tiller of the soil,
which occupation he followed throughout his
life. For many years he was a minister in the
Hicksite branch of the Society of Friends, and
made frequent journeys to the different States
and to Canada in that capacity, which journeys
were made either on horseback or in a car-
riage. He died December 27, 1863; his wife
passed away March 4, 1848. Five children
were born to this worthy couple, only two of
whom lived to maturity: Isaac E., the elder
of the two, removed to Long Island in 1828,
and became a prominent resident of Queens
county, where he died in 1885; our subject is
the younger.

Barclay Haviland grew to manhood on his
father's farm at Chestnut Ridge, and at Me-
chanic, town of Washington, where the family
moved in 1826. He was educated at the Nine
Partners Boarding School at Mechanic, and
later at the Jacob Willets private school. On
June II, 1S45, he was married to Susan
Hart Tredway, daughter of Dr. Alfred Tred-
way, of the town of Washington. They made
their first home on the farm at Mechanic, re-
maining in that place until 1855, when they
purchased the homestead of Mrs. Haviland's
grandfather, Philip Hart, at Hart's Village,
where they have since resided. Five children
were born to them, three of whom are living:
Katharine A. ijiarried Dr. John C. Otis, of
Poughkeepsie; Isaac E. is a resident of Toledo,
Ohio; and Caroline E. resides with her
parents.

Mr. Haviland is a Democrat, and has been
justice of the peace two terms. He was pres-
ent at the meeting which organized the
Dutchess County Agricultural Society, \\\ 1841,
and of this society he was treasurer for a num-
ber of years. Long one of the leading citizens
of Dutchess county, his upright life and
sterling qualities make him respected and es-
teemed by all who come in contact with him.
He is a prominent member of the Society of




^Cc^ircJxir'u (J^GL v^ la^nAiiy



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



97



Friends, and is always ready to assist in
works of benevolence.

Elijah Tredway, the grandfather of Mrs.
Haviland, was born in Connecticut, and from
him the genealogy is traced to Nathaniel
Tredway, born in Sudbury, England, in 1637.
Dr. Alfred Tredway, his son (and the father
of Mrs. Havilandj, in his day a well-known
physician, merchant and land owner of the
town of Washington, was born in 1782, and
died in 1826. He married Catherine Hart,
who was born in what is now Millbrook, but
at that time was known as Hart's Village, be-
ing so named for her father, Philip Hart, who
was then the owner of nearly all the land in
that locality. Philip Hart was the youngest
son of Richard Hart, and was born January
12, 1749, in Little Compton, Rhode Island,
and came to Dutchess county in 1767, where
on December 18, 1774, he was married to
Susanna Akin, daughter of Benjamin Akin.
He was a prominent business man in his local-
ity, being engaged in the manufacture of cloth.
His death occurred August 31, 1837.

Benjamin Akin came to Dutchess county,
between 1762 and 1765, from Rhode Island;
the family is of Scotch extraction, and his
father, " Squire Benjamin Akin," was born in
Scotland m 1663, became a leading citizen
and represented his district in public matters.
He was appointed chairman of a committee
which was formed in 1774 to oppose English
taxation.



J JAMES H. DUDLEY (deceased) was a na-
I five of Dutchess county, born in the town
- of Stanford, July 14, 1817, and was de-
scended from worthy New England ancestry.
The founder of the family in America was
William Dudley, a native of England, where
he was married, August 24, 1636, to Jane
Lutman, and on coming to America in the
spring of 1639 located at Guilford, Conn., on
a tract of 1000 acres of land, which he and
his neighbors bought of the Indians, and which
was divided among them. They gave the
town the name of Guilford, and there Mr.
Dudley followed farming. He was one of the
prominent men of the community, and died
there March 16, 1684. In his family were
four children: William, Joseph, Ruth and
Deborah. Of these, Joseph Dudley was born
in that locality in 1643, and on reaching man's
-estate he followed coopering in Guilford, where



he died June 3, 17 12. He married Ann
Robinson, and the reared a family of nine
children, namely: Joseph, Benjamin, Calelf),
Joshua, Miles, William, Mary, Mercy and
Anna.

Miles Dudley, the ne.\t in a direct line to
our subject, was born at Guilford, Conn.,
December 17, 1676. He married Rachel
Strong, by whom he had nine children: Miles,
Timothy- (1), Timothy (2), Stephen, Selah,
Beriah, Rachel, Mercy and John. The father
of this family was a blacksmith by trade, and
followed that occupation until his death, August
10, 1753. His son, John Dudley, was born at
Guilford, October 16, 1721, and there passed
his early life. He was united in marriage with
Tryphena Stone, and to them were born
eleven children: Timothy (i), William (i), Try-
phena (I), Ruth, John, Tryphena (2), William
(2), Polly, Lois, James and Timothy (2). With
his family the grandfather removed to Berk-
shire county, Mass., where he purchased a
large tract of land on the day the battle of
Lexington was fought, and became one of the
best farmers and most prominent citizens of
the count\^ He died therein 1808.

James Dudley, the father of our subject,
was born November 19, 1772, in Guilford,
Conn., and was a child of three years when
taken by his parents to Massachusetts, where
he married Miss Lydia Leete, a descendant
of the first governor of Connecticut Colony.
Her father was born on Leete's Island, in
Connecticut, January 16, 1746, and wedded
Lydia Leete, by whom he had eleven children:
John, Lydia, Amie, Lois, Eber, Olive, Mina,
"Orrit (i), Orrit (2), Harvey and Eli. In April,
1793, he moved to Poughkeepsie, N. Y. , and
in the town of Stanford, Dutchess county,
purchased a farm, where he spent his remain-
ing days, dying in 1822. His father, Rowland
Leete, was born at Guilford, Conn., in 1708.
and by his marriage with Mercy Dudley had
eleven children: Timothy, Ruth, Anna,
Sarah (i), John, Asahel, Hannah, Sarah (3),
Abner, Miles and Rachel. William Leefe,
the father of Rowland Leete, was born March
24, 1 67 1, and by his marriage with Hannah
Stone had seven children: Anna, Elizabeth,
Margery, Rowland, William, Jordan and Sol-
omon. He was a son of Andrew Leete, who
was born in 1643, and wedded Elizabeth
Jordan, by whom he had six children: Will-
iam, Caleb, Samuel, Dorothy, Abigail and
Mercy. The father of Andrew Leete was



98



COMMEMORATIVE BTOGRAPHICAL RECORD



William Leete, who emigrated from England
in 1639, or: the vessel on which our subject's
paternal ancestors came to these shores. He
was joined in wedlock with Anna Rogers, and
to them were born nine children: John,
Andrew, William, Caleb, Gratiana, Perigrine,
Joshua, Anna and Abigail. Both the Leete
and the Dudley families were members of the
Congregational Church, and leading citizens
in the localities where they made their homes.

After their marriage, the parents of our
subject remained for some time in Massachu-
setts, but later became residents of the town
of Stanford, Dutchess Co., N. Y. Four chil-