J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 23 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

was a Ouaker preacher.

Smith L. De Garmo was born October 10,
1842, on the farm above mentioned, at High-
land, and as will be seen was nine years old
when his parents moved to Dutchess county.
His education was received in part at the
common schools, partly at the New Paltz
Academy, and later at a 'private school kept by
Rev. Sherman Hoyt, a Presbyterian minister.
In November, 1868, Mr. De Garmo came to
Poughkeepsie as clerk in the furnishing-goods
store of Thomas A. Lawrence. In the follow-
ing spring he entered the service of William
H. Broas, and got his first experience in hand-
ling dry goods. Here he found a congenial
occupation, and his marked ability brought
him, in the spring of i S70, to the notice of
Messrs. Luckey and Piatt, who were then
doing a moderate but successful dry-goods
business. It was early manifest to his employ-
ers that they had secured a valuable factor,
and he was rapidly promoted. He proved a
perfect genius in salesmanship, and tireless in
his efforts. He enjoyed a very large acquaint-
ance, and by his rare magnetism attracted
them as customers. Just before his admission
to the firm, Mr. Luckey said to one from whom
we get a part of our data for this article:
"We have been paying Mr. De Garmo prob-
ably the largest salary received by any clerk
on the street, and we are satisfied that he
fully earns it by the new business alone which
he brings to us." Such merit hac^ its natural
reward, and February i, 1872, he became a
partner in the concern. When the time came
for Mr. De Garmo to ^how his capacity as a
buyer, he was found equal to the occasion,
and became conspicuous in the market as hav-
ing in a large degree the courage, caution and
knowledge of men, methods and conditions
necessary to the successful buyer. The busi-
ness of the firm grew rapidly and steadily,
until it became, probably, the largest of its Kind
in any place of the size in this country, and in
many respects may be considered the model
dry-goods concern in this section of the State.
The}' were among the first in their line to in-
troduce the profit-sharing plan with employees.




.^^^f^;^-r^^''^^




COMMEMORATIVE BIOGliAPHIC'AL RECORD.



115



In the year 1894 Mr. De Garmo bought
the Taggart place, containing the largest and
most beautifully appointed grounds in the city,
where he has since made his home. Socially,
he is a member of the F. & A. M. Lodge, No.
266, in Ppughkeepsie. In politics he is a Re-
publican.



JOHN P. ADRIANCE (deceased). Among
the men whose enterprise and sound judg-
ment have developed the industries, and
e.xtended the commerce, of the city of Pough-
keepsie, the subject of this sketch held a prom-
inent place. The family name is derived from
the given name of a remote ancestor, Adriaen
Reyersz, son of Reyer Elberts, of Utrecht,
Holland, whose wife was the mother by a
former husband of Goosen Gerritse van Schaick,
ancestor of the Albany van Schaicks.

Their son, Adriaen Reyersz came to Amer-
ica in 1646, and settled at Flatbush, L. I.
He was married July 29, 1659, to Anna,
daughter of Martin Schenck, a name of
celebrity in Holland. One of their chil-
dren, Elbert, born in 1663, settled in Flush-
ing, arid was married in 1689 to Catalina,
daughter of Rem. Vanderheeck, the ancestor
of the Remsens. They had three children,
Rem, Elbert and Anneke, with whom the use
of the present surname began. Rem married
Sarah, daughter of George Brinckerhoff, and
died in 1730 at the age of forty. His sons
were Elbert, born in 171 5; George, 17 16;
Abraham, 1720; Isaac, 1722; Jacob, 1727,
and Rem, 1729; of whom, George, Abraham
and Isaac settled in Dutchess county. Abra-
ham Adriaanse married Femmetje Van Kleef;
their son Abraham Adriance, born in 1766,
married Anna Storm; their son John Adriance,
our subject's father, born in 1795, married
Sarah Ely Harris. Their home was in Pough-
keepsie, where he was among the leading busi-
ness men of his day, and one of the first man-
ufacturers of harvesting machinery.

John P. Adriance was born March 4, 1825,
and after acquiring such education as the
schools of the city afiforded at that time he
spent three years and a half as clerk in the
hardware store of Storm & Uhl. He then
went to New York City, and took a similar po-
sition with Walsh & Mallory, remaining until
1845, when the firm placed him in charge of
their store in Manchester, N. H. He eventu-
ally suceeded to the business there; but in



1852 he returned to New York and went into
the wholesale hardware trade with a brother-
in-law, Samuel R. Piatt, and Samuel W. Sears,
under the firm name of Sears, Adriance & Piatt.
About this time he became interested in some
experiments which his father was making with
the Forbush mower, and seeing the possibili-
ties opening up in this branch of manufactur-
ing he decided to engage in it. In 1854 the
firm purchased the patents of the Manny
mower for the New England States, and began
making the machines at Worcester, Mass., the
business there being conducted under the name
of Mr. Adriance. The enterprise wasnot wholly
successful, but in 1857, at a great field trial of
mowers and reapers held at Syracuse, N. Y. ,
under the auspicesof the United States Agricult-
ural Society, Mr. Adriance became impressed
with the merits of a mower patented by .Aultman
& Miller, of Canton, Ohio, which received the
first premium. Notwithstanding the opposi-
tion of his partners to further ventures in that
line, he succeeded in overcoming their objec-
tions, and after acquiring the patent rights, he
began the manufacture of a new machine in
Worcester, Mass., giving it the name "Buck-
eye," because of its Ohio origin. In 1859 the
factory was transferred to the old " Red Mills "
at Poughkeepsie; but the business increased so
rapidly as to necessitate the building of more
commodious quarters, in 1864, on the banks of
the Hudson, extensive additions and improve-
ments having since been made from time to
time. In 1863 the firm of Sears, Adriance &
Piatt was dissolved, Mr. Sears retaining the
hardware business, and a new firm for the
manufacture of mowers and reapers was
formed, consisting of John P. Adriance, Sam-
uel R. Piatt and Isaac S. Piatt, and known as
Adriance, Piatt & Co., under which name it
was incorporated in 1882 as a stock company,
with the following officers: John P. Adriance,
president; S. R. Piatt, vice-president; and I. S.
Piatt, treasurer. Mr. Adriance continued his
connection with the business until his death,
which occurred June 18, 1891.

Although his time and energy were so
largely spent in forwarding his business inter-
ests, Mr. Adriance was much more than a
business man, taking keen interest in all that
concerned the welfare of his fellows, and
he took a prominent part in the promotion of
many worthy enterprises which might have'
failed but for his ready and substantial help.
He never held any public office except that of



lu;



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGIiAPUWAL RECORD.



alderman for one year, but was repeatedly
urged to accept the nomination for mayor, his
election beinp considered certain if he con-
sented to become a candidate. But, unwilling
as he was to hold any public office, he was
warmly interested in political affairs, and was
a recognized leader in the local Republican
organization. Possessing pleasing address,
his courtesy readily won friends whom his
sterling virtues retained. He was married in
1848. to Mary J. R. Piatt, who died Decem-
ber 24, 1895. One daughter and five sons —
three of whom are connected with the
corporation of Adriance, Piatt & Co. — survive
him.

John Ekskink Adki.^nce, the second son,
was born in New York City, December 23,
1853, and received his education at the Pough-
keepsie Military Institute, the Churchill
School at Sing Sing, and Riverview Military
Academy. In 1871 he entered the arena of
business, and is now vice-president of the
Adriance, Piatt & Co. On April 27. 1882, he
was married to Miss Mary Hasbrouck, of
Poughkeef>sie, and they have two daughters:
Jane Hardenbergh and Marguerite Piatt.



FERDINAND R. BAIN, a prominent real-
_ estate dealer, of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess
county, is among the youngest of the enter-
prising and successful business men of his city.
He was born in Chatham, N. Y., May 3, 1861,
the third son of Milton and Charlotte (Nash)
Bain, the others being Francis M., proprietor
of the "Palatine Hotel " at Newburgh, N. Y.,
and Horatio N., proprietor of the " Nelson
House," Poughkeepsie.

At the age of si.xteen our subject left
school to assist his brother Horatio N. in the
"Poughkeepsie Hotel," and has ever since
been engaged in business, but he has supple-
mented his early educational acquirements by
reading on a wide range of subjects. His first
instructor was Miss Wood, a private teacher
from the Lebanon Academy, and he later at-
tended the school of George N. Perry, at
Dover Plains, also Bishop's select school for
boys. No. 50 Academy street, Pougtikeepsie.
In 1885, after eight years of hotel work, he
embarked in the real-estate and insurance
business, and has built up one of the most ex-
tensive enterprises of its kind in the city,
having platted and opened up several import-
ant additions, among them Bain avenue, Tay-



lor avenue, a portion of N. Hamilton street,
the Dean property, and Livingston Manor.
He has also been influential in securing new
pavements in various parts of the city.

Mr. Bain has been largely interested in
street railways, and for some time was a mem-
ber of the syndicate which owned the Pough-
keepsie City Street R. R. Selling out his
stock, however, he afterward bought a one-
half interest, and in 1892 was elected presi-
dent of the road. Under his management
and upon his suggestion, the Vassar College
and Driving Park line, and the Wappinger
Falls line have been added to the system, and
made electric roads. He is vice-president and
active manager of the West Coast Steam
Line, running from Port Tampa to St. Peters-
burg. The latter was anything but a paying
business when he took charge, but he has
placed it on a profitable basis. He is a di-
rector of the Farmers' and Manufacturers'
Bank, and Poughkeepsie Gas Co., a member
of the Board of Trade, and has interested him-
self in several new manufacturing concerns, to
bring them to Poughkeepsie. As secretary of
the Dutchess County Agricultural Societ^y, he
was successful in raising an incumbrance of
$9, 500, and he helped to incorporate the
organization in 1894; also was instrumental in
securing its meeting in Poughkeepsie in 1890.
His career has been an honorable one, and his
investments have so far invariably proved suc-
cessful. Some of his enterprises give em-
ployment to large numbers of men.

In 1885 Mr. Bain married Hattie I. Ken-
worthy, a daughter of Richard Kenvvorthy, who
was at one time sheriff of Dutchess county,
and treasurer of the Hudson River State Hos-
pital. Three children were born to this union:
Ethel M., Mary K. and Kathleen. Mr. Bain
and his wife are prominent members of the Sec-
ond Reformed Church. He takes an active
interest in the work of the Republican party,
was elected supervisor from the Fourth ward
in 1888, and alderman in 1890 and 1891; and
at present is city assessor. Socially, he is a
member of Triune Lodge, F. cS: A. M. ; Knights
of Pythias, and of the Amrita, Bicycle, Driving,
and Dutchess Clubs.



GAIUS C. BOLIN, a talented and enter-
prising young lawyer of Poughkeepbie,
Dutchess county, was born in that city Sep-
tember 10, 1864.



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPBIGAL RECORD.



117



Abraham Bolin, his father, is a native of
Dutchess county, born at South Dover, Feb-
ruary lo, 1830. He lived upon a farm until
he was twenty-five years old, having begun to
make his way in the world at the early age of
seven. In 1S55 he moved to Poughkeepsie,
where he married Alice Ann Lawrence, an
educated and refined woman of unusual mental
ability and foresight. She was also a native of
Dutchess county, as were her mother and
grandmother before her. Her father having
died during her childhood, leaving his widow
with a large family of children, some kind
friends in New York City took the bright little
girl into their home and gave her an e.xcellent
education and training.

Abraham Bolin is an intelligent and suc-
cessful business man, and has conducted at
different times a meat market, a grocery store
and a produce commission business, and has
also engaged in selling live stock. In every
enterprise his wife has been an indispensable
helper and adviser. They have had thirteen
children whose careful and thorough education
has been their main object, and their willing
self-sacrifice is already receiving a reward in
the satisfaction of seeing them fitted for useful
and honorable stations in life. The names of
their children living are: Mrs. Alvaretta Deyo,
George W., Gaius C. (the subject of this
sketch), Livingsworth W., Paul C., Rev. Mrs.
Blanche Bolin Crooke, and Miss Oscafora Stra-
della Bolin; of these Paul C. Bolin is an ad-
vanced student of the piano, and an instructor
on that instrument at the National Conserva-
tory of Music, New York City." For more
than thirty-five years they have lived at their
present residence on North Clinton street.

Gaius C. Bolin attended the public schools
of Poughkeepsie during his boyhood, and after
graduating from the high school in 1883, he
took a two-years course at Prof. John R. Les-
lie's select classical school, then conducted on
Academy street, Poughkeepsie. In the fall of
1885 he entered the freshman class of Will-
iams College, Williamstown, Mass., and was
graduated from that institution in June, 1889,
being the first colored man graduated by this
historic old college. For a year after leaving
college he assisted his father in the produce
commission business, and on September 15,
1890, he entered the law office of Fred. E.
Ackerman, Esq., of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., as a
student. He was admitted to the bar at the
General Term of the Supreme Court, held in



Brooklyn, N. Y. , and presided over by Hon.
Joseph F. Barnard, December 15, 1892, but
remained in Mr. Ackerman's employ, extending
his knowledge of legal principles and gaining
experience in their practical application. On
May 23, 1895, he opened an ofiice of his own
at Nos. 46-48 Market street. His watchful de-
votion to the interests of his clients, as well as
his upright fair dealing, has won the confidence
of the public, and he has enjoyed a greater
measure of success than falls to the lot of some
practitioners who have no connection with an
established business.

A dutiful and affectionate son, he never
fails to give credit for his success to the advice,
encouragement and Christian example of his
father and mother, and the influence of a home
where love abounds.



QEORGE B. CHAPMAN, M. D., was born
^ May 20, 1849, in the town of Dover,
Dutchess county, and received his academic
education there and in Phillips Academy at
Exeter, N. H. He afterward entered Bellevue
Hospital Medical College for two years, then
attended the Medical Department of Yale Col-
lege for one year, graduating from the latter
in 1875. He began his professional career in
Amenia Union, N. Y., and remained there for
thirteen years, building up a large practice.
In 1888, on account of the overwork and ex-
posure incident to his profession, his health
gave out, and he was obliged to give up active
practice, and spend the two following winters
in Virginia, and the summers in Minnesota
and Dakota. While in the West he became
much interested in real-estate investments,
was one of the organizers, and the first presi-
dent of the Webutuck Investment Co. of
Duluth, Minn., and a director in the Amenia
and Sharon Land Co. of North Dakota.

In 1890 he located at Dover Plains, and
became interested in the invention of Charles
E. Buckley, since known as the Buckley
Watering Device, an automatic arrangement
for securing a plentiful supply of fresh water to
cattle and horses while confined in the stable,
a patent being secured in 1891. The im-
portance of this invention, both from a eco-
nomic and humanitarian standpoint, was soon
appreciated by all intelligent and progressive
stock-breeders and dairymen, and the system
is now in general use throughout the country.
Dr. Chapman has made many improvements



118



COMMEMORATIVE BTOORAPHICAL RECORD.



on the original idea, and is now actively en-
gaged in the manufacture and sale of the De-
vice, having bought out Mr. Buckley's interest
in 1892.

Dr. Chapman is actively interested in local
affairs, and is a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity. In 1874, he married Miss Martha
Root (daughter of Oliver and Mary Root, of
Kent, Conn.), who died in February, 1876,
leaving no children. In September, 1877, he
married Sarah Hitchcock, daughter of Homer
and Rebecca Hitchcock, belonging to an old
and well-known family of Amenia, N. Y. One
child blessed this union, Rebecca, born July 3,
1878.

Israel Chapman, our subject's great-grand-
father, was born at Bethlehem, Conn., and
reared a family of sons, among whom was
William Chapman, the grandfather of our sub-
ject. He was educated at his native place,
and early in life followed the carpenter's trade,
but later moved to South Dover, Dutchess
county, and conducted a hotel and general
store. His wife was Miss Rachel Cherrytree,
and their seven children all lived to maturity.
They were Israel, who never married; Homer,
who married (first) Ann Howard, and (second)
Helen Thompson; Reuben Wooster married
Marilla Ward; Lyman married Deborah Sher-
man; Alfred, our subject's father, in 1831
married Adaline Mabbett; Maria became the
wife of Charles Thomas; and Betsey became
the wife of William Tabor.

Alfred Chapman was born in South Dover,
Dutchess county, December 11, 1807, and
after receiving a common-school education
learned the carpenier's trade, and engaged in
the business of contracting and building, in
which he was successful, the high order of his
work bringing him custom from an extended
territory.

Dr. Chapman is the fifth in a family of
seven children: (i) Ann E.. born in 1832,
was married in 1854 to William Tabor, a
farmer. They have had eleven children:
John and Louisa are unmarried; Florence
married Frank \'an Auken; Jennie married
William Sebring; Frank and Harriet are still
unmarried; and Mary is the wife of Everett
Travis; the other children died in infancy. (2)
Benjamin F. was born in 1835, educated at
Michigan University and the .-\lbany Law
School. On graduating in i860 from the lat-
ter institution, he began the practice of law at
Dover, but his death in 1870 cut short a



promising career. He married Miss Helen
Reed, and left one son, David H. R. Chap-
man, who graduated from Columbia College,
and is now in the coal business in New York
City. (3) Mary J. was born in 1836, and in
1865 married Nicholas Ryan, now residing in
Brewster, N. Y. She died in 1867, leaving
two children: Minnie, living in Petersburg,
Va., and George B., now living in Clove
Valley, N. Y. (4) Sarah M., born in 1839,
married Peter T. Young, a live-stock dealer
in Norfolk and Petersburg, \'a. They have
two children, Hattie C, born in 1876, and
Homer T>, born in 1884. (5) Our subject.
(6) William and (7) Walter died in infancy.



JOHN VAN WYCK (deceased). The family
name of the subject of this sketch has been
held in high esteem, both in Holland, the
ancient home of the family, and in this coun-
try, where many of its representatives have
held positions of usefulness and honor.

Dr. Van Wyck, our subject's grandfather,
a native of Dutchess county, owned a large
tract of land in the town of Fishkill, which he
cultivated, in addition to his extensive labors
as a medical practitioner. His son, Gen. John
B. Van Wyck, our subject's father, was an
officer in the war of 181 2. He married Susan
Schenk, by whom he had nine children: Alfred,
a farmer in Fishkill; John, our subject; Jo-
hanna, who married Mr. Holmes, a merchant
in New York City; Mary, the wife of Edward
Remsen, also a merchant in New York City;
Catherine; Susan, who married O. Holmes;
Cornelia; Jane, the second wife of Mr. Holmes;
and William.

John Van Wyck, our subject, was born in
the town of Poughkeepsie, and was educated
at the Dutchess County Academy. On leav-
ing school he went to New York City, and en-
gaged in the wholesale dry-goods business.
He married Miss Sarah Mesier, a native of New
York City, born in 18 10. Her father, Peter
A. Mesier, was a native of New England, and
became a bank stationer in New York City.
He was a Whig in politics, and he and his
family were members of the Episcopal Church.
His wife was Catherine Mesier, a first cousin,
and they reared a family of five children: Mary;
Sarah (Mrs. \'an Wycki; Peter, a merchant in
New York; Jane; and Margaret, who married
James Clonny, an artist in New York. The
Mesiers are of French Huguenot ancestry, and



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



119



their coat of arms bears the appropriate motto,
"Tiens a la Foi," — Hold to thy faith. The
Van ^^'yck family also possesses a coat of arms,
the nearest description of which in the absence
of any work on heraldry, is as follows: Anns
— A cross or, in each quarter two tassels, arg. ,
inverted, crossed; over all an escutcheon
charged with a cart-wheel, proper. Crcst — A
crown, arg. (in English heraldry this would be
a ducal crown). Sicpporters — Two gryphons
(or griffins), sal., regardant, each supporting a
banner, the de.xter banner charged with a cross,
as on the shield; the sinister banner charged
with a cart-wheel, as on the escutcheon.

Shortly after their marriage, Mr. and Mrs.
Van Wyck settled upon a farm near Manches-
ter, and, in 1835, moved to the present home-
stead near New Hamburg, a beautiful estate
overlooking the Hudson river. Here they
built an elegant residence, w^hich has been for
si.xty years one of the most charming homes of
this vicinity. Eight children were born to
them: Kate, Mesier (deceased), Sarah, Henry,
John, Mary, William, and Edmund (deceased),
who was a physician at Wappingers Falls.
Mr. \'an Wyck died September 18, 1878, but
his wqdow is still living, blessed with unusual
vigor, both physical and mental, and surrounded
by her children who are all at home. The
family has been identified with the Episcopal
Church of Wappingers Falls for more than
half a century, and is well-known in the most
exclusive circles of Poughkeepsie society.



IrFILLIAM LOUIS De LACY, a well-
known attorney of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. ,
is recognized as the leading pension lawyer of
that city. He was himself a soldier in the
Civil war, enlisting as a boy of sixteen years,
August 13, 1861, and serving until mustered
out October 11, 1865, and his own experiences
on the battle fields and in the prisons of the
South have doubtless turned his attention to
the disabilities that the hardships of that long
struggle have brought upon the brave "boys
in blue," and certainly his record as a soldier
must have done much to gain for him the con-
fidence of his large circle of clients.

His family is of ancient lineage, and, it is
thought, originated in Lassy, Normandy, and
was transplanted to England at the time of
the Conquest. The progenitor of the Amer-
ican branch, William Lacy, came from the
Isle of Wight at an early period, and settled in



Bucks county. Penn., where many of his
descendants still live. The family is one of
the oldest and most substantial in that region,
and its members have usually been engaged in
agriculture. The first record concerning the
family is that of a marriage which occurred in
1 7 18 in the Quaker Church at Wrightstown,
Bucks Co., Penn. Brigadier-General John
De Lacy, of Revolutionary fame, was a mem-
ber of this family. William De Lacy had a
son William, who had a son William, who had
a son William, our subject's grandfather.
There were five brothers of that generation,
and while William remained at the old home,
one went to Michigan, one to Mississippi, one
to Ohio, and the other settled west of the
Mississippi. William married Miss Mary
Chidester, and had three daughters — Mary,
Ann and Jane — and six sons — Israel, the owner
of the Trenton Pottery at Trenton, N. J. ;
Joseph, a confectioner; Lafayette and Na-
poleon Bonaparte, who were on the police
force in Philadelphia; John P., our subject's
father; and Aaron, a lumberman of Pike coun-
ty, Penn. John P. De Lacy was born at the
old homestead January 27, 1814, and became
a prominent citizen there, noted for his