J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 34 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 34 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

was engaged in the lumber business until 1824,
when he moved to New Hamburg and opened
a lumber yard. He manufactured his lumber
from the raw material and had an extensive
trade for that early day, the distance from our
own times being more easily realized when the
fact is recalled that he witnessed the trial trip
of Robert Fulton's steamer on the Hudson in
1807. He was prominent in local affairs and a
leading member of the Presbyterian Church.
On June 17, 18 16, his first wife died, leaving
seven children, and October 22, 1818, he mar-
ried Sarah Miller, by whom he had two chil-
dren. His own death occurred April 30, 1827.
Of the first family the eldest son ( i) John was
born May 21, 1789; (2) Charles Millard, born
September 15, 1792, located in New Orleans,
where he acquired a large fortune. He was a
man of unusual energy and business ability,
and took a prominent part in affairs in his
adopted city. (3) James, born August 15,1 795,
was a wholesale dealer in lumber and coal at
Catskill. (4) Cornelia, born June 27, 1797,
married Hackaliah Purdy, of Marlboro. (5)
William born June 19, 1800, settled in
Galena, 111., and became a leading business
man there, holding the office of postmaster
at one time. His later years were spent
in traveling in Europe and the United States,
and he died while in Jacksonville, Florida.
(6) Walter, our subject's father, is men-
tioned below. (7) Catherine, born August 21,
1803, married Elem Dunbar, then of Pough-
keepsie and later of Cortland county. The
children of the second family were Margaret
G., born May 24, 1820, and Franklin, born
February 26, 1824.

Walter Millard was born in Marlboro, Feb-
ruary 27, 1802, and remained there until the
removal of the family to New Hamburg. Un-
til 1 834 he was engaged in the lumber business
exclusively, but at that time he became inter-
ested in the freighting business and built the
barge " Lexington," which ran between New
York and New Hamburg. In 1844 he pur-
chased the steamboat "Splendid," which car-
ried freight from New Hamburg and Marlboro
to New York City. About 1855 he disposed of
this line of business to give his attention to
dealing in lumber and coal, which he continued
until his death, August 20, 1880. He was a
man of remarkable business acumen and the
energy and enterprise to carry his projects to
completion. A strict Presbyterian in religious

faith, his life was marked by integrity and fair
dealing. In politics he was in early years a
Whig and later a Democrat. He was mar-
ried, November 14, 1834, to Martha Hyer
Bull, a native of New York City, who died
June 14, 1896. Her father, William Bull,
who was of English birth, was a well-known
saddle and harness dealer in New York, and
was the first to import hame collars from Eng-
land. He had six sons, viz.: William B.,
Walter P., Howard C. , Charles, I. Edward
and Fenweck T., the last two named being
now deceased.

William B. Millard was born at New Ham-
burg, June 10, 1836. When a young man he
began clerking in his father's office, and in
1863 became a partner in the business, the
firm name being W. Millard & Son. After his
father's death he conducted the business under
the same name until 1884, when his brothers,
Howard C. and Charles, entered the firm,
which became known as W. Millard Sons.
On November i, 1893, a corporation was
formed under the present title of the Millard
Lumber Company. They employ about 1 50
men in the various departments of their work,
which includes the manufacture of the finished
product from sawed green lumber, their mills
and factory being located at Rouse's Point, in
the Adirondack region. They do a wholesale
business there, while their retail trade is sup-
plied from their yards at New Hamburg and

On February 8, i860, Mr. Millard was
married to Miss Cordelia A. Lawson, a lady of
Dutch descent, and daughter of William I.
and Ann (Smith) Lawson, of New Hamburg.
Two children were born of this union: Martha
H., the wife of Harris S. Reynolds, of Pough-
keepsie, and William I., who is not married.
Mr. Millard and wife are prominent members
of the Presbyterian Church, and he has taken
an active interest in many movements tending
to promote the public welfare, being especially
devoted to the temperance reform and to the
improvement of the schools. He has been
president of the board of education, and is a
member of the National Division of the Sons
of Temperance. In politics he is a Democrat,
but favors a liberal tariff. He has at times
held minor offices, declining, however, further
honors, although as one of the leading men
in southern Dutchess county, he has more
than once been urged to enter the political



THOMAS McWHINXIE. a well-known
_ manufacturer, of Poughkeepsie, Dutch-
ess county, was born in that city. March 20,
1S42. and is the son of James and Euphemia
(Hall I McWhinnie, both natives of Scotland,
the former born at Glasgow in iSo". and the
latter at Paisley in 1S19.

Thomas McWhinnie. the grandfather of
our subject, was born it is supposed in Edin-
burgh, as he came from there, and was a
weaver by trade. His brother. John, up to
his death, was keeper of Edinburgh Castle,
where the Scottish regalia are kept. Grand-
father Thomas McWhinnie was married in
1S04 to Janet Crawford, who was the mother
of all his children. She died in 1S19, and in
1S2S he married Margaret McAllister. In
May, 1S29. the famih- sailed from Greenock in
the sailing vessel 'Roger Stewart." arriving,
on the fourth of July following, in New York
City, where they made their first home in the
New World on 20th street, between Sth and
9th avenues. Grandfather McWhinnie's second
wife did not come to this country with him;
but after a year or two's sojourn here he went
back to Scotland, and staid there until her
death, when he again came to the United
States, and died in New York.

Grandfather McWhinnie had six chil-
dren, namely: i Margaret, married to Alex-
ander Cameron, a machinist; 2) Janet, mar-
ried at West Farms. Westchester Co., N. Y.
(^now a part of New York CityJ. to Robert B.
Wilson, who in his younger days was captain
of a sloop running on the North, or Hudson,
river, the East river and the Bronx, up to
West Farms; (31 Elizabeth, who became the
wife of James Reed, who was in the Custom
House at Glasgow a great many years until
pensioned of!; 14) Peter, who was a weaver by
trade; (5) John, also a weaver, who died in
New York City; and James, the father of
Thomas. Our subject's parents came to
America before their marriage, and resided in
New York City and other places, finally mov-
ing to Poughkeepsie. where they were married.
Here the father followed his trade as a weaver
for about thirty-three years. He then re-
moved to New York City, where he continued
to work at weaving until his death July 17,
1866; his wife died September ii, 1851. He
was originally a Whig, later a Republican.
They had four children: Catherine and James
died in infancy; Thomas is the subject of this
sketch; and Archibald is a farmer in Wisconsin.

The father was bom in Glasgow. Scotland, in
1S07. and reared there, being twenty-two years
old when he came to this country in 1S29.

Thomas McWhinnie attended the public
schools in Poughkeepsie until he was twelve
years old. when he went to Wappingers Falls,
where he worked in the cotton mills for nine
months at two dollars a week. He then re-
turned to Poughkeepsie. and worked for two
and a half years in a bakery at $25 a year and
his board, the first year; at $30 a year and
his board, the second year; and at $35 a year
and his board the remainder of the time, leav-
ing the bakery in the winter of 1S57. the year
of the financial panic. In the spring of 1858
he went to learn the tinner's trade, but left it
after serving about one and one-quarter years,
and went to work in Chichester & Co. s chair
factory, which stood on the site where his own
facton." now stands. In 1S63 he was employed
for a few months in repairing railroad bridges.
afterward going to New York City and work-
ing in a chair factor)' for four years, and for
about one year more was a partner in a chair

In 1S69 Mr. McWhinnie again returned to
Poughkeepsie. and embarked in the business
in which he has since been successfully en-
gaged; manufacturing all kinds of wheelbar-
rows — such as canal, coal, garden, ore. stone,
brick and wood barrows; also the celebrated
Dutchess Bolted Canal, and Dutchess Bolted
Garden wheelbarrows. His first location was
at No. 25 N. Water street, but in 1SS3 he
erected the large brick factory in which he is
now established, at Nos. 39 and 41 South
Water street, and 31 and 33 South Front
street. His products are shipped to New
York City and other points, whence they are
sent all over the world. Mr. McWhinnie is a
man of progressive ideas, of excellent business
ability and great energy, and has worked his
way up from a poor boy to his present posi-
tion. He is popular with his associates, and
is a loyal citizen always ready to assist in pub-
lic enterprises.

Mr. McWhinnie was married June i. 1871,
to Miss Fannie Whitwell. who was born in
Poughkeepsie. Her father. Thomas Whit-
well. and her mother Marj' (Arnold* Whit-
well, were natives of Peterborough, England.
He followed farming in East Park. Three
children were born of this union: Mary E. ,
who was married to Frank Brooks on October
7, 1896; Fannie J. and Roy A. ; the last named



died January 13, 1893. '^^r. McWhinnie is a
Republican, and in 1882 he was elected alder-
man of the Second ward, serving some two and
one-half years; in 1896 he was selected by his
party to represent them on the board of super-
visors, being elected for two years. He is a
member of the Congregational Church, and has
been a trustee of that body for eight years.
Sociall}' he has been a member of the Masonic
order since 1864, and also belongs to the
Ancient Order of United Workmen.

to which the subject of this 'sketch belongs
is of good old Puritan stock, having been
founded in the New World in 1635, at Hing-
ham, Mass., by Thomas Chaffee, who landed
at Boston a year or two previous. He re-
moved to Hull, where he died in 1683. His
son, Joseph Chaffee, married Ann Martin, of
Swansea, Mass., and died in that town in
1689. His son, John Chaffee, removed to
Woodstock, where Joel Chaffee, the son of
John, died. Joshua, the youngest son of Joel,
was born in Woodstock, Conn., in 1733, and
in 1755 moved to Sharon, Conn. On Jul}'
22, 1755, he wedded Mary St. John, and they
continued to live at Sharon until 1760, when
they removed to Ellsworth, Conn. , where his
death occurred October 8, 1789, and she
passed away August 28, 1824. Their son,
Joshua Bignall Chaffee, the grandfather of our
subject, was born at Sharon, Conn., March 8,
1 78 1, and became a farmer by occupation.
On June 4, 1809, he was united in marriage
with Ann Seymour, a daughter of Amos and
Sarah (Cook) Seymour, of Plymouth, Conn. ;
her death occurred June 4, 18 19. Later he
was united in marriage (December 25. 1820)
with Hannah Birdsey, who was born at Corn-
wall, Conn., September 29, 1791. At the
time of his death, the grandfather was most
acceptably serving as one of the magistrates of

The birth of Jerome Seymour Chaffee, the
father of our subject, occurred at Ellsworth,
Conn., December 14. 1S14, and he was there
educated in the common schools. At Kent,
in that State, on October 24, 1839, he was
married to Miss Aritta Stuart, daughter of
James and Melinda Stuart. She was born De-
cember 15, 18 12, and was called to her final
rest November 24, 1872. Later, the father
was married (June 8, 1876), at Sharon, to

Adelia Emma Fuller, who was born March
13, 1 84 1, the daughter of Cyrus Sackett
and Harriet Fuller. Until 1855 Jerome S.
Chaffee continued to reside at Sharon, at
which time he came to the town of Amenia,
Dutchess county, where he has since engaged
in farming. He is a consistent member of the
Congregational Church at Ellsworth, Conn.,
and politically cast his first vote in support of
the Whig party, later becoming an Abolitionist,
and since its organization has been a stalwart
Republican. By his fellow citizens he has been
called upon to serve in the positions of high-
way commissioner and assessor.

James Stuart Chaffee, whose name intro-
duces this review, was born at Sharon, Conn.,
October 3, 1846, and was educated at Wes-
leyan Academy, Wilbraham, Mass. He was
married at Kent, Conn., on September 17,
1872, to Miss Lydia A. Judd, who was born
December 16, 1850, and is a daughter of Ed-
ward Matthew and Laura (Cartwright) Judd.
Of their union there are five children: Jerome
Stuart, born November 11, 1873, is a graduate
of the Yale University, and expects to com-
plete the course in the medical department of
the University of Pennsylvania with the class of
'97; Edward Judd, born August 6, 1875, mar-
ried Celia M. Cline; Aritta L. , born August 22,
1877, graduated at Wesleyan Academy in
1896; Everitte St. John, born November 15,
1879; and Rollo N., born February 28, 1S82.

After his marriage Mr. Chaffee removed to
his present residence in the town of Amenia,
and for about four years was engaged in the
flour, feed, grain and lumber business with
William H. Tanner, of Wassaic, butwiih that
e.xception his entire life has been devoted to
agricultural pursuits, and with excellent results,
showing that he thoroughly understands the
occupation which he has chosen. His unwav-
ering support is given the Republican party,
and he has served in several positions of honor
and trust, such as highway commissioner and
justice of the peace and supervisor.

CHARLES F. HASBROOK, a leading busi-
ness man of New Hamburg, Dutchess
county, the senior member of the well-known
firm of Capt. Wm. Hasbrook's Sons, forward-
ing and commission merchants, was born Jan-
uary 2, 1S45, St Cortlandville, in the town of
East Fishkill, where his ancestors were among
the early settlers. The family originated in



Holland, and its representatives in this locali-
ty are descended from three brothers who came
to this country together, two settling in Ulster
county, and one in Dutchess county, at Fish-

Francis Hasbrook, our subject's grandfa-
ther, was born there August 5, 1789, and be-
came a merchant at Cortlandville, where he
was a prominent citizen, an active supporter
of the Whig party and a leading member of
the Reformed Church, with which most of his
descendants have united. He married Mar-
garet Blatchly, a native of Fishkill, who died
July II, 1839, and he survived her until
March 8, 1S54. They bad three children, of
whom William Hasbrook, our subject's father,
was the eldest, the others being: Susan H.,
born July 25, 1824, married to Albert Emans,
a farmer in Fishkill, and Sarah R., born
March 20, 1830, married to John P. Storm, a
farmer at Stormville.

William Hasbrook was born at Cortland-
ville November 12, 1822, and grew to man-
hood there. He was engaged in the mercan-
tile business with his father for some time,
and later conducted it alone, but in 1857 he
became captain of the steamer "Wyoming,"
which he ran for twelve years. From 1869 to
1872 he followed the freighting business at
New Hamburg, and then for five years was
captain of the "Walter Brett," a steamboat
running between New Hamburg and New
York, and on leaving this he resumed the
freighting business and continued it until his
death, which occurred December iS, 1S93.
He was a Republican in politics, and promi-
nent in local affairs, serving some time as clerk
of the town of East Fishkill, and he was the
first postmaster of that village. On August
17, 1S43, he married Maria Storm, daughter
of Gory and Anna (Boice) Storm. She died
June 28, 1874, leaving three children, of whom
our subject, Charles F. , was the eldest, the
others being: Emily, born December 11,
1849, died April 9, 1852, and George A.,
born Julj' 27, 1856, is a member of the firm.

Charles F. Hasbrook was educated in the
schools of New Hamburg and Hughsonville.
On leaving school he clerked for four years in
a grocery in New York City, and then came
back to New Hamburg, where he was engaged
for a year in the feed business, afterward in a
grocery. On March i. 1886, he became inter-
ested in his father's business, and since the
latter's death the two sons have carried it on

successfully. On January 13, 1869, Mr. Has-
brook married Miss Jennie E. Van Voorhis,
who was born September 10, 1S45, ^t Brink-
erhoff\ille. Her parents, William H. and
Elizabeth iHaightt \'an \'oorhis, were both
natives of Dutchess county, the former having
been born at Matteawan. May 24, 1809. Three
children were the result of this marriage, of
whom only one is now living, Edward G., born
October 24, 1870.

Mr. Hasbrook, as one of the leading men
of southern Dutchess county, has been influen-
tial in local affairs, and is prominent in the
Republican party, although he has never held
office, with the exception of four years as
justice of the peace of the town of Wappinger.
He is a member of the F. & A. M. , Wappingers
Falls Lodge No. 671, of Poughkeepsie Chap-
ter No. 172, and Poughkeepsie Commandery
No. 43.

ZEBULON RUDD. The subject of this
sketch was born in the town of North-
east, Dutchess Co., N. Y., September 24,

The family for a long time had been one
of influence in the eastern part of the county,
and also in western Connecticut, from which
locality Mr. Rudd's great-grandfather came.
The following is a brief record of the family:

Lieut. Jonathan Rudd, the founder of the
family in America, came to New England
about the year 1637. He was a resident of
New Haven, Conn., in 1644, when he took
the oath of fidelity to the government. He
was at Saybrook in 1646. In the winter of
1646-47 he was married. The occasion was
a romantic one, and is often referred to in the
State disputes concerning boundary lines.
The magistrate, who had been engaged to per-
form the ceremony, was delayed by a great and
sudden snowfall, and application was at once
made to John Winthrop, then acting as mag-
istrate under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts.
In order that he might obviate any infringe-
ment of the law, the parties agreed to meet
at a little stream — to this day known as Bride
brook — which served as a boundary between
New London and Lynn. There, in the
solemn stillness of the forest, Winthrop, stand-
ing upon one bank, joined together the man
and woman who stood upon the other.

Jonathan Rudd was a settler of Norwich,




Conn., later on, and died in 1668, leaving
four children. ' His eldest son, Jonathan,

born about 1650, married Mercy — in

1678, and died in 16S9, leaving a son born in
1684, who afterward became Ensign and Cap-
tain Nathaniel Kudd. He moved to Wind-
ham, Conn., where he was a highly respected
member of society, and died at a ripe old age
February 20, 1760. His first wife, the mother
of his children, was Rebecca, daughter of
John Waldo, of Chelmsford, Mass., and his
wife Rebecca, daughter of Samuel Adams, the
progenitor of the Adams family of Massachu-
setts. Nathaniel and Rebecca Rudd had four
children, the third of whom was Zebulon,
born at Windham, Conn., in 1 717. In 1742
he was married to Jerusha Brewster, and
about 1750 moved to Dutchess county, N. Y. ,
and resided in the town of Amenia, and also
in Northeast. He died in 1802. His family
consisted of eight children — si.x daughters and
two sons. The eldest child, Nathaniel, born
in 1742, married Naomi St. John, in 1768,
and died in 1774, leaving a widow and three
children. He was the ancestor of the Rudds
of St. Lawrepce and Wayne counties, in New
York, and of Litchfield county, in Connecticut.

Zebulon's other son, Bezaleel, born in
1751, survived his brother seventy-two years,
and died in 1846, aged ninety-five years and
one month. During the greater part of his
life he resided at Northeast, Dutchess Co.,
N. Y. He served faithfully during the war of
the Revolution. Having signed the pledge
with his father, Zebulon, in July, 1775, he
served in the Continental arm}' from August,
1775. to February, 1777, when he left the
army with the rank of major. That same year
he married Ruth Brush, and they had seven
children, of whom the second was Reuben
Brush Rudd, born in 1780. He lived at the
old place at the northern end of Rudd Pond,
Northeast, N. Y., but in middle life spent
many years at Poughkeepsie. He was presi-
dent of the village of Poughkeepsie in 18 14.
He married on February 22, 181 3, Elizabeth,
daughter of Capt. Israel Smith, of Newburg,
N. Y., and his wife, Mary, daughter of Col.
Jonathan Hasbrouck.

Elizabeth Smith was born September 3,
1783, in the house which is now known as
"Washington's Headquarters", Newburg, but
then owned by Col. Hasbrouck's son Isaac.
Mr. Rudd's family still possess a brocaded satin
cloak given by Lady Washington as a baptis-

mal robe for the child which was born a few
days after Washington's departure.

Reuben B. Rudd had five children: Mary,
born November 25, 181 3, married Milton
Smith, and died February 14, 1895; Sarah,
born October 29, 181 5, and married to Alex-
ander W. Trowbridge, is still living at Ansonia,
Conn. John, born December 28, 18 17, died
at Mobile, Ala., October 9, 1842. Charles,
born March 17, 1820, and married to Frances
E. Folk, is still living at Pine Plains, N. Y. ;
and Zebulon, the present representative of the
family in Poughkeepsie, N. Y. His early youth
was spent upon his father's farm. Financial
reverses, however, coming upon the family,
the boys were early compelled to seek their
own livelihood.

In 1842 Mr. Rudd came to Poughkeepsie
to take a position as clerk in the dry-goods
store of Joseph Wright. Here he remained
two years, and then accepted a clerkship with
Bowne & Co., where he remained eight years.
He was then appointed teller and bookkeeper
in the Fallkill Bank, remaining there six years.
Mr. Rudd was next offered the cashiership of
the Dover Plains Bank. Six years after bis
going to Dover Plains the First National Bank
of Poughkeepsie was organized, and the direct-
ors tendered the position of cashier to Mr.
Rudd. He accepted the offer, and for twen-
ty-five years held the position until his resig-
nation in 1889. Since then he has been en-
gaged in the brokerage and investment business
in Poughkeepsie.

Mr. Rudd was married May 23, 1855, to
Blandina V. Adriance, second daughter of
John Adriance, the founder of the "Buckeye
Manufacturing Co." Three children have
been born to them: Charles Adriance (now
deceased), who married Ella Robinson, of
Poughkeepsie; John Adriance, who married
Bertha Strawn Morgan, of Trenton, Neb.,
and is now living in Poughkeepsie; and Ar-
thur Belding, who at the present time is study-
ing in New York City.

B. STOCKHOLM, a prominent resident
and leading business man of Poughkeep-
sie, Dutchess county, is engaged in the crock-
ery and glassware business at No. 306 Main
street, where he has carried on operations
since 1885. He was born in that city January
6, 1849, and is descended from Aaron Stock-
holm, whose birth occurred on Long Island,



but who early came to Dutchess county, where
he located on a farm in the town of Hopewell,
and there married, reared his family and died.
His brother located in St. Lawrence county,
N. Y., obtaining about one thousand acres of
wild land by a grant from King George, and
there are now four villages in that county
named in honor of him.

The son of this Aaron Stockholm (who also
bore the name of Aaron) was the grandfather
of our subject. He was born in Hopewell,
town of East Fishkill, Dutchess county, and
after his marriage with Miss Painter continued
to reside upon the old homestead, where his
death occurred. In politics he was a Demo-
crat, and religiously was connected with the
Reformed Dutch Church. His family included
three sons: Aaron, who was a harness dealer at
Peekskill, N. Y. ; Richard, who went west to
Illinois and became a general merchant, and
Abram, the father of our subject.

On April 2, 18 19, Abram Stockholm was
horn in Hopewell, town of East Fishkill, and
upon the old home farm spent his boyhood and
youth. He was united in marriage with Miss
.\ntoinette Lyon, who was born in Westches-

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 34 of 183)