J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 35 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 35 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ter county, N. Y., and was a daughter of Wal-
ter S. Lyon, a retired minister, of English de-
scent. In 1840 the young couple located at
Poughkeepsie, where the father engaged in the
furniture business until his death, which oc-
curred in 1872. He was a firm supporter of
the Democratic party, and he and his wife con-
tributed to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
She is still living; by her marriage with Mr.
Stockholm she became the mother of three
children; Maria L. , who married John S.
Gilbert, a farmer of the town of Hyde Park,
Dutchess county; Helen L. , who married W.
H. Haight, a brick manufacturer of Pough-
keepsie, and A. B., the subject of this review.

When A. B. Stockholm had reached a
sufficient age he entered the public schools of
his native city, and completed his literary
training in the old Dutchess County Academy,
in 1865, after which he entered the general
store of Trowbridge & Co., remaining with
them for eleven years. He then clerked for
Robert W. Frost for three years, and in the
fall of 1877 began the retail carpet business at
No. 1 50 Main street, as a member of the firm
of Marshall & Stockholm, which partnership
was continued until March, 1885, when our
subject sold out his interest, and has since
engaged in his present business.



In 1874 Mr. Stockholm was united in mar-
riage with Miss Jennie Ward, a native of the
town of Pleasant Valley, Dutchess county, and
a daughter of Daniel I. Ward, a farmer of'
that township, whose ancestors came from
England. One daughter has been born of
this union, named Helen. In politics, Mr.
Stockholm affiliates with the Republican party,
being an earnest advocate of its principles,
and he is prominently identified with the Royal
Arcanum, of which for three years he served as
regent. He and his wife are consistent mem-
bers of the Congregational Church, and for
eight years he has served as its treasurer. He
is a highly respected and esteemed citizen of
Poughkeepsie, and as a merchant bears the
reputation of an honest, upright and trust-
worthy man.



M



ARSHALL
merchant



HERRICK,



of



Poughkeepsie,



a promment
and one of

the most enterprising and prosperous of the
business men of that city, is a native of Dutch-
ess county, born at Salt Point, in the town of
Pleasant Valley, December 10, 1852, the son
of William and Catharine Elizabeth Herrick,
whose family are the lineal descendants of Sir
Henry Herrick, of England, in the fifteenth
century.

Mr. Herrick, after profiting by the some-
what limited course of study offered by the
local schools, prepared for college at Amenia
Seminary. He entered Cornell University
with the class of '74. and for two years pur-
sued an elective course. While there he was
a member of the Theta Delta Chi fraternity.
At the close of the Sophomore year he returned
home, intending to take up scientific farming,
but circumstances called him aside, and he set-
tled in Poughkeepsie, N. Y. , in 1876. In
1882 he and Elmer Van Vliet purchased the
good will and business of Crosby & Spaulding,
at No. 391; Main street, Mr. Herrick being the
senior member of the new firm. In 1888 he
bought Mr. Van Vliet's interest, and since then
has carried on the business alone, removing it,
in 1890, to Nos. 375 and 377 Main street, its
present location. He has from time to time en-
larged, and taken in other lines of goods, and
now styles himself a general house furnisher,
supplying everything needed in fitting up a
house. This is the only place of the kind in
the city, and the largest in the Hudson River
Valley, and has proved a profitable venture.



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



175



Mr. Herrick has shown unusual ability as a
business man, learning the details of his chosen
line of work by practical experience. His
judgment has always balanced his spirit of
enterprise, and he has now an extensive trade,
with a prospect of even greater things in the
near future.

In 1876 Mr. Heirick married Miss Julia
Allen, a daughter of James M. Allen, a leading
citizen of Salt Point, and a descendant of one
of the old families of Dutchess county. Their
only child now living, Harold Allen Herrick, is
at River View Academy preparing for Yale
College. Politically, our subject is a Demo-
crat with strong Prohibition tendencies, and of
late years has taken an influential part in the
local work of the latter organization. He is a
man of high moral principle, has been an active
member of the Presbyterian Church since he
was twelve years of age, and is now a deacon.
He has done a large amount of reading for a
man absorbed in business cares, his preference
being for writers of a substantial nature and
especially those on history, political economy
and the topics of the day.



WILLIAM J. BROWN, who is well
known in connection with the Frank-

lindale Company, and is a prominent citizen
of Wappingers Falls, Dutchess county, was
born in the latter place, January 10, 1844.

Samuel Brown, the father of our subject,
was a native of County Monaghan, Ireland,
and there followed the occupation of folder.
He was married in 1831, and that year came
to the United States. He found employment
in what is known as the Dutchess Print Works,
at Wappingers Falls, and followed that voca-
tion until 1848, when he went into the mer-
cantile business, in which he continued until
his death, January 22, 1S76. His wife sur-
vived him until 1880. Their children were
nine in number, as follows: Elizabeth, Joseph,
Samuel R. , John H., William J., Martha,
Henry, and two who died in infancy. Mr.
Brown was originally a Whig, but later be-
came a Democrat. He took an active part in
politics, and held a number of local offices.
He was poor master, justice of the peace
and collector for the town of Poughkeepsie;
was one of the first board of trustees of Wap-
pingers Falls, and was a trustee of the Savings
Bank of that village.



William J. Brown attended the district
school of his native village during his boyhood,
and in 1861-62 wasa student at Princeton, N.
J., afterward attending Williston Seminary at
East Hampton, Mass. Then went to New
York City, and for four years was employed
as custom-house clerk for the large importing
house of Barclay & Livingston, 24 Beaver
street. On January 4, 1871, Mr. Brown was
married to Miss Esther, daughter of George
Warhurst, of Wappingers Falls, and for a short
time was a clerk in his father's store. On
May I, 1872, he was made bookkeeper in the
Franklindale office. In 1881 he was made
superintendent of the Franklindale cotton-mill,
continuing there until the destruction of the
mill by fire in October, 1885. Mr. Brown
has since been bookkeeper for the Franklindale
Company, and in connection with that position
is also superintendent of the outside business
of the Clinton company, under William Bogle,
agent. He is a man of fine business ability,
and has the confidence and esteem of the firm
with which he has so long been engaged. He
has always taken an active part in public af-
fairs; has been the village treasurer for eighteen
years, and is still holding that position. He
was collector for the town of Poughkeepsie in
1 87 1, and supervisor for the town of Wappin-
ger in 1892. He has been a trustee of the
Savings Bank for twenty-two years, since 1 874 ;
is treasurer of Zion Episcopal Church, and a
trustee of the cemetery association. Socially,
he is a Knight Templar, and, politically, he
belongs to the Republican party, in whose in-
terests he is an active worker. He is popular
with all classes of people, and a good citizen of
Wappingers Falls.

Mr. and Mrs. Brown have an interesting
family of six children, all of whom are at home,
namely: Edward McKinlay, Mary Louisa,
Edith, Violetta, Alice and Clayton W.



CHARLES I. ROUND, one of the most
' prominent builders and contractors of
Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, was born Oc-
tober 28, 1844, in Birmingham, England, where
he received his- early education and had his
home until he was twenty-two years old.

In his twenty-second year Mr. Round came
alone to America, landing at New York, whence
he went to California, where he remained a
year, and then returned to New York. For



176



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



three years he worked for Lyons & Bunn,
builders, during which time he built the East-
man Terrace High School, an addition to
Vassar College, and a gas tank at the gas
works. He then returned to California, re-
maining there for a few months, subsequently
coming to Poughkeepsie and rebuilding the
rolling mill. In 1877 he went into the fsuild-
ing business for himself, and erected the Vas-
sar I?rothers Institute, the Vassar Brothers
Hospital, and two sections of the State Asylum,
although most of his work has been outside of
the city. He built the Thorn Memorial Build-
ing at Millbank, a fine building for Archibald
Rogers on the Hyde Park road, and at the
present time (spring of 1897) has secured the
contract for the building of the New Adriance
Memorial Library, which is to cost $70,000,
and is to be finished in November, 1897.
Although starting at the bottom he has worked
his way up to the top, and is to-day one of the
most successful business men in the county.

Mr. Round was married in New York City
June 20, 1S70, to Miss Mary Seckerson, a
native of Dudley, England, and five children
have been born to them, three of whom are
now living: Maud (who married Frank Sco-
field). Bertha and Charles. Our subject is a
member of Triune Lodge, F. & A. M., Pough-
keepsie Chapter R. A. M., and of the I. O.
O. F., Lodge No. 21.

Eli Round, father of our subject, was a
builder by trade, which the Round family for
four generations have followed. Eli married
Miss Mary Ann Staley, who is yet living.
They had seventeen children, si.\ of whom are
living: Staley, Adelaide and Alfred are in
England; Charles I., Eli and Herbert are
living in Poughkeepsie. The father died in
England in November, 1896, at the advanced
age of eighty years.



MELSON LOUIS BOICE, one of the most
energetic and industrious men of Pough-
keepsie, Dutchess county, was born in Water-
ford, N. Y., November 2, 1852, and is a son of
Benjamin I-5oice, whose birth occurred in 1808,
in Poughkeepsie, where he passed his early
life, receiving his education in its public
schools. For a number of years the father
conducted a hotel at Channingville, Dutchess
county, and for several years was engaged in
the livery business on Catherine street, Pough-



keepsie. His death, however, occurred at
Waterford, N. Y. He was twice married, by
the first union having one son, William, of
Worcester, Mass. At Poughkeepsie he wed-
ded Lettie A. Ostrander, a daugfiter of Peter
M. Ostrander, and to them were born three
children: Louisa, wife of Franklin S. Haw-
ley, of Broadalbin. N. Y. ; Carrie, wife of C.
B. Olmstead. of the same place; and Nelson
Louis.

Our subject was only a year old when his
father died, and by his mother he was taken to
Fulton county, N. Y., where his boyhood days
were spent upon a farm, and in the district
schools he obtained his primary education.
This he supplemented by a course in the high
school at Broadalbin. His mother later be-
came the wife of Giles W^ Churchill, a farmer
(now deceased). In August, 1872, Mr. Boice
came to Poughkeepsie, where he was first em-
ployed by Trowbridge & Co., with whom he
remained six years, and for the following two
years was with Joseph G. Frost, an under-
taker. He then returned to his former em-
ployers, for whom he worked two and one-half
years, after which he entered the grocery store
of James H. Mills, at No. 2S2 Main street. At
the end of two years he secured a situation
with Willard H. Crosby, an undertaker, by
whom he w-as employed for the same length
of time, and the following year was passed
with Leonard Carpenter. Returning to Mr.
Mills, he remained with that gentleman for
two years, and then formed a partnership with
W. V. Holmes, under the firm name of Holmes
& Boice, grocers, at No. 364 Main street. At
the end of a year and a half this partnership
was dissolved, and Mr. Boice became book-
keeper for Hull & Co.", for one j-ear. He
then joined Mr. Selfridge, and they conducted
the undertaking business for Mrs. W. H.
Crosby for a year, when she turned the busi-
ness over to Mr. and Mrs. Selfridge, with whom
our subject remained five years. On March
15, 1897, he started in the undertaking busi-
ness for himself at No. 395 Main street.

In Poughkeepsie, on October 12, 1881,
Mr. Boice was married to Miss Mary W.
Brown, a daughter of Thomas S. Brown, super-
intendent of the Buckeye Works. They are
held in high respect by all who know them,
and are sincere Christian people, faithful mem-
bers of the Baptist Church. Socially, Mr.
Boice holds membership with the Royal Ar-
canum Lodge.




"" Pl^at,,




COMMEMORATIVE BIOQEAPHICAL RECORD.



177



^lAILLIAM H. BADEAU. The subject of
tllL our sketch is a descendant of French
Huguenots. A numerous band of these, in-
cluding the names of Flandreau, Coutant, Ba-
deau, and many others, left La Rochelle,
France, and founded New Rochelle, a suburb
of New York City. Elie Badeau, on his arrival
there in 1708, purchased 120 acres of land.

Two generations later, and before Horace
Greeley's "Young Man, go West " was given
to the world, John Badeau, of New Rochelle
(descendant of Elie) went north, acquired a
large tract of land, and in 1775 located at Ma-
hopac Falls, in Putnam county, N.Y. One of
the sons of John Badeau was Isaac Badeau, Sr.
His son, Isaac Badeau, Jr.. married Elizabeth
Hart, also of Mahopac Falls. Their children
were: Gilbert H. (deceased), William H. (our
subject), Matilda S., and Joseph N. They also
" went North," locating in Dutchess county in
1846.

The restless ambition of W. H. Badeau
(second of the foregoing) begat aspirations for
something beyond the field of possibilities in
sight to him in Fishkill surroundings, and he
accepted an appointment in a wholesale fancy
dry-goods house in the down-town section of
New York City. The proprietor, G. S. Ely,
was a brother-in-law of Col. Richard M. and
Robert Hoe, the great inventors and builders
of lightning printing presses. Mr. Badeau was
more fortunate than many young men resort-
ing to great cities, in that he was successful in
arranging residence with the proprietor in his
own home in Brooklyn. He became at once
actively interested in Sunday-school, choir and
Church work at the Clinton Street Presbyterian
Church, Brooklyn Heights, whose pastor was
Rev. Ichabod S. Spencer, D. D., author of "A
Pastor's Sketches " and other works. After
seven years passed in the business house, and
very delightful home of G. S. Ely, Mr. Badeau
arranged connection with the renowned firm
of E. & H.T. Anthony & Co., No. 591 Broad-
way, New York, manufacturers, importers,
publishers and wholesale dealers in every class
of photographic requisites.

Transferring now his residence to the Sev-
enth ward. New York City (at that time a
pleasant quarter), and making as his Church
home the Allen Street Presbyterian, Rev. W.
W. Newell, D. D., pastor, was afterward
elected a member of its board of trustees. Mr.
Badeau was at this time a member of the
Twenty-second Regiment, New York City,
which was ordered to temporary service in

Pennsylvania, at the time of the battle of Get-
12



tysburg, and at the same time he volunteered
to put a man in the army at his own cost of
several hundred dollars.

The business of E. & H. T. Anthony &
Co. became a rapidl)' increasing one, and had
for its field every State in the Union, the Can-
adas, Mexico, West Indies, Central America,
South America, Australia, Europe, and even
China. At this juncture, and as showing the
then course of events, we copy from a little
historical brochure issued by E. & H. T. An-
thony & Co. not long since:

"After a time these gentlemen found it impossible
to look after all the interests of the firm, and William H.
Badeau, after being associated with the Brothers Anthony
for several years, was admitted to the firm, and became
the representative of the house in Europe."

Mr. Badeau made many voyages across the
water both before and after the formation of
the co-partnership. By the way, one crossing
was by the monster steamship ' ' Great East-
ern," which was one-eighth of a mile in
length. It was a smooth August trip, eighteen
hundred merry-making souls being on board.

It soon became necessary that Mr. Badeau
should remain permanently abroad, and he ac-
cordingly established his residence by turns at
the capitals of the Old World — Vienna, Berlin,
Paris and London — making occasional tours
through Italy, Austria, Germany and France,
also through all parts of the United Kingdom;
and in midsummer (for recreation) to the Ork-
ney and Shetland Islands.

Whilst residing at the Austrian capital, and
during the Vienna Exhibition, Mr. Badeau
(his firm co-operating) set his heart upon and
addressed himself assiduously to the captur-
ing, in that international contest, of the
" Medal of Progress." There was only one
prize medal of this rank, and that was to be
competed for by the wide world.

After the close of the World's Fair he shipped
part of his exhibit from Vienna to London, and
entered it at the 'annual exhibition of British
Photographers. As setting forth the outcome
of his efforts to carry off honors at Vienna, we
quote froin the "British Journal of Photogra-
phy" of October 31, 1873, a part of its serial
critique upon that autumn exhibition, viz. :

"And first of all let us accord a hearty welcome to a
firm as well-nown in this country as it is in .America:
we mean that of Messrs. E. & T. H. Anthony & Co., of
New York — a firm which, although young so far as mere
years are concerned (seeing that it has only recently en-
tered upon its fourth decade), is yet as old as it can pos-
sibly he, finding as we do that it dates from the introduc-
duction of Photography in 1843. This establishment is
so colossal in its extent and ramifications as to occupy
40,000 square feet of floor room: and its industries are so
numerous and varied as to necessitate the services of 200
skilled work people and forty warehousemen. Wc are



178



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



glad to see so eminent a firm contributing to our annual
collection of pictures, knowing what personal powerthey
possess in securing American representation; for much
is gained in many ways by the international advances
toward each other of two great nations so intimately
connected in lineage and language, thus promoting the
mutual interchange of whatever is exceptional and valu-
able in the pursuit of our art-science as practiced in both
the Old and New Worlds. Let us hope that through the
friendly agency of this, the largest photographic firm in
the World, and through the cordial services of Mr. Will-
iam H. Badeau, the English resident partner, American
photography will henceforth be adequately represented
at our annual exhibitions. It is fitting that we should
here remind our readers that the senior member of this
great firm, Mr. Edward Anthony, has generously offered
SoOO in prizes to be contested for in February next ; and
as the artistic encounter is an international one, we urge
upon the photographers of the United Kingdom to com-
mence the preparation of such works as will enable our
trans-Atlantic brethren to see that, although the progress-
ive proclivities of their nation have secured for the firm
to which we have referred the only and much valued
'Medal of Progress ' awarded at the Vienna Exhibition,
yet, that Englishmen will retaliate by wresting from our
American friends, if they can, the munificent prizes of-
fered by Mr. Edward Anthony. We should have been
pleased to have seen the 'Medal of Progress' sent to
England; but as the fates or jurors otherwise decided, it
only remains for us to congratulate the fortunate recipi-
ents of this coveted award."

During his whole stay abroad, whether in
visit or in residence. Mr. Badeau was the for-
eign contributor to the columns of "An-
thony's Photographic Bulletin" over the nom-
de-plume "Viator."

Fifteen years with the firm of E. & H. T.
Anthony & Co., he, after a much varied and
e.xceedingly pleasant experience, and having
acquired a competency, retired from the firm
(The portrait accompanying this sketch is a
copy of the photographic souvenir made on
that occasion).

Personally Mr. Badeau is a gentleman of
simple habits, culture, well educated, lover of
science, research, art. To his tastes the
whole co-partnership career was contributive,
bringing him into hand and hand intimacy
with Art of both worlds.

Relinquishment of the bustling activities
found installation of appreciations for the frui-
tions of Post Commercial Relations. Pleasure
travel, the diversified diversions and numerous
private affairs have made his life (since retir-
ing) one of busy leisure, he residing by turns in
Europe, New York City, State of Iowa, and the
counties of Schoharie, Rockland and Dutchess
in New York State. Mr. Badeau has many in-
terests in the West. He is a member of the
board of directors, and vice-president of the
First National Bank of Glidden, Iowa.



BENJAMIN H. BREVOORT. The Bre-

-tJ^ voorts came originally from Holland, the
first of this family known in this country being



Hans, who settled in Putnam county, N. Y.
Of his history not much is known. Dean, the
great-grandfather of our subject, was a soldier
in the Revolutionary war, and at one time was
in the employ of Gov. Kemble.

Thomas J. Brevoort, the father of our sub-
ject, was born in Putnam county about 1828;
was a farmer by occupation, but for many
years held the position of superintendent of
the Mott Haven Ore Company, of New York
City. For seventeen years he was a justice of
the peace in his county, and was a leading citi-
zen, a man of good natural ability, and suc-
cessful in whatever he undertook. He was
well acquainted with all the prominent men of
the county, and took an active part in politics,
being a strong Democrat. He belonged to the
Baptist Church, and to the Masonic Order at
Cold Spring, and in all the relations of life
was well thought of by his associates and a
large circle of warm personal friends.

In 1846 Mr. Brevoort was married to
Phoebe White, daughter of Joshua ^^'hite, who
for many years was a justice of the peace in
the town of Pawling. Her mother was a de-
scendant of the Townsend family. Two chil-
dren were born to Mr. and Mrs. Brevoort:
Benjamin H. (our subject) and Jennie (who
married C. W. Horton, of Stormville). The
father died in 1873, and the mother in 1886.

Benjamin H. Brevoort, our subject, was
born in the town of East Fishkill, April 23,
1847. He first attended school at the Pough-
keepsie Collegiate Institute, College Hill, aft-
erward entering upon his profession at Boyds
Corners, in Putnam county, which public works
were under the management of Gen. George
S. Greene, now the oldest living graduate of
West Point. In 1864 Mr. Brevoort was ap-
pointed assistant city engineer of St. Paul,
Minn., and later received the appointment of
civil engineer on the St. Paul & Chicago rail-
road. He was then recalled to New York and
put on the Canal Department at White Hall
Harbor, under the supervision of the State.
He was assistant engineer in this work, but
later was put in charge of the Topographical
Department for the enlargeinent of the Cham-
plain canal. He was afterward assigned to
work on the New Croton aqueduct, where he
remained until that great undertaking was com-
pleted. In all these responsible positions he
showed great ability, and secured the confi-
dence and esteem of all with whom he was
associated. He has been in close intercourse
with all the leading civil engineers of the State,
and has had valuable and extensive experience



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



179



in his line of work. In his various undertak-
ings Mr. Brevoort has been uniformly success-
ful, and is now following his profession in the
city of Poughkeepsie. He was also at one
time a clerk under William C. Whitney, with
whom he studied law, and was admitted to the
bar, when the latter was corporation counsel.
Mr. Brevoort was first married in 1873, to
Miss Fisher, of Danbury, Conn., who died in
1882, leaving two children, Thomas and Eva.
The daughter resides in Buffalo. In 1894 our
subject married, for his second wife, Miss
Kittie Riley, a native of Walden, Orange Co.,
N. Y. For a number of years Mr. Brevoort



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 35 of 183)