J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 39 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 39 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


a frequent contributor to newspapers and peri-
odicals, and possesses marked literary abilit}'.
He is a collector of antiques, rare books and
autographs. His collection of manuscripts is
especially rich in Colonial and Revolutionary
letters and documents.

Mr. Coffin has an attractive country home
on the Hudson, at Milton, Ulster county,
where he usually spends the summer. — F. C.
Valentine.



EDWIN JUCKETT, who was called from
: this earth on the 2d of February, 1896.

had spent his entire life in Dutchess county,
and for many years was a leading blacksmith
and wagon-maker of Stanfordville, where his
death occurred. His honorable upright life
had secured for him the respect of all.

Mr. Juckett was born in the town of Amenia
September 24, 1824, and was one of the three
children of Lewis M. and Juliette (Bennett)
Juckett, the others being Stephen and Sally,
both now deceased. On both the paternal and
maternal sides he was of French descent, and
his father, who was born in Kent, Conn., be-
came a prominent farmer of the town of
Amenia, Dutchess county, where Edwin passed
his school days. On leaving the parental roof,
in 1844, he began working for S. O. Rogers,
Sr. , in an axle factory at Stanfordville, and
five years later bought the Daniel Young place,
near that village, where he erected a house and
shop, the former of which is still standing.
The shop was burned in March, 1873, but he
at once rebuilt, and there carried on black-
smithing and wagon- making up to the time of
his death — a period of almost half a century.

On October 31, 1849, Mr. Juckett was
married to Miss Elsie A. Gildersleeve, daugh-
ter of Joseph Gildersleeve, a woolen manu-
facturer of Stanfordville. Her birth occurred
April 30, 1824, and she died on March 17,
1874. In their family were five children:
(i) Mary B. , after graduating from D. G.
Wright's private school at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. ,
engaged in teaching until her mother's death,
after which she kept house for her father, and
still makes her home in Stanfordville. (2)
George B., after learning the blacksmith trade
with his father, followed the trade at Stanford-
ville and Wassaic, in the town of Amenia, for



COMME^^ORATIrE BIOORAPEICAL liECORD.



195



several years. He then engaged in the milk
business with his uncle in Brooklyn, \. Y. ,
with whom he remained several years. Later
• he studied stenography under the tuition (jf
Prof. T. J. Ellin wood, for twenty-five years
the official reporter of Henry Ward Beecher's
sermons. In 1883, after completing his study
of stenography, he entered the employ of Col.
George Bliss, of New York City, a well-known
lawyer and legal author, as his stenographer
and private secretary, with whom he remained
twelve years. During the year 1895, while
Mr. Bliss was traveling in Europe, he was in
the employ of the Grant Monument Associa-
tion, under Gen. Horace Porter, president of
the Association, and the present ambassador
to France. During this year Gen. Porter
dictated to him his ' ' Campaigning with Grant. ' '
Upon Col. Bliss' return from Europe he again
entered his employ, with whom he still remains.
(3) William M., a native of the town of Stan-
ford, attended school there, and began his busi-
ness career as a clerk in a store at Bangall,
X. Y. He then held a similar position in
Poughkeepsie, N. Y. , after which he became
traveling salesman for his uncle, who was con-
nected with the wholesale dr3'-goods house of
Tefft, Weller & Co. , of New York City. At
the end of three 3'ears he left this firm to accept
a position as salesman for the wholesale dry-
goods house of Butler, Clapp & Co., with
whom he remained seven years. He then be-
came connected with the dry-goods house of
E. S. Jaffray & Co., remaining with them
until their failure. He is now a traveling
salesman for Dunham, Buckley & Co., whole-
sale dry-goods merchants at No. 340 Broadway.
New York City. He married Margaret Husted,
and they now make their home at Attlebury,
N. Y. (4) De\\'itt, after following the black-
smith trade for several years, then became
traveling salesman for Joseph Ruppert, a
wholesale hardware merchant at No. 212
Duffield street, Brooklyn, N. Y. He married
Miss Elma Green, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., by
whom he has had three children : Elsie A. and
Lizzie B. (both deceased), and William. He
resides at No. 313 Glenmore avenue, Brooklyn,
N. Y. (5) Carrie E., after graduating from
the Eastman Business College, Poughkeepsie,
N. Y., entered the employ of Orvis Bros. &
Co., bankers and brokers, of No. 44 Broad-
way, New York City, as stenographer, remain-
ing with them eight years. She is now the
wife of George C. Trefry, and two children



bless their union: Edwin J. and George Clifford.
They reside at Nc. 36 Morton street. New
York Cit}-.



PETER BURHANS (deceased). The sub-
ject of this sketch, who was formerly a

well-known wagon manufacturer of Pough-
keepsie, was born in Pleasant Yallej-, Dutch-
ess county, January 2, 1812, and was the sen
of \\'illiam and Mary (Smith) Burhans. Jacob
Burhans arrived in this country prior to Decem-
ber, 1660. Jans, a son, who arrived in April,
1663, married Miss Helena Traphagan, and
from them the subject of this memoir is de-
scended through Barent and Johannes and
Petrus.

Our subject had no schooling to speak of,
but was a man of good mechanical abilit}'. He
spent his younger days in Pleasant Valley,
coming to Poughkeepsie when about eighteen
years old to learn the wagon maker's trade.
He worked as a journeyman only a few years,
and then started in business for himself in the
city, later forming a partnership which proved
somewhat disastrous. About the 3'ear 1844 he
carried on business at No. 377 inow 3S5) Main
street. In 1851 or 1852 he purchased the
premises, and continued to carry on business
there until the spring of 1877, when he retired
on account of ill health, and had the building
altered to suit other business. In 1S55 "i^
bought the adjoining lot, and put up a frame
building which was used by various parties as
a blacksmith shop till the summer of 1877,
when it was demolished to give place to a
more substantial brick building — Nos. 387^ and
389 Main street. Both buildings are still in
the possession of the family. He was a self-
made man, very thorough, careful, and pains-
taking, and his work had the reputation of
being the very best.

Mr. Burhans was twice married, his first
wife being Miss Johanna B. Smith, a daugh-
ter of Uriah Smith, a farmer in the town
of Hyde Park ( who died a comparatively
young man), and niece
Smith, of Lithgow. She
To Mr. and Mrs. Burhans
children: Albert, who died young; Ella, who
married Isaac Germond; and Mary, who died
in 1875, aged twenty-three years. His sec-
ond marriage was, in i860, to Miss Eliza
Pinckney, daughter of Jacob Pinckney, of
Bethel, Sullivan Co., N. Y. Our subject



of Judge Isaac

died in 1859.

were born three



lOfJ



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



was a Republican, r.nd took quite an in-
terest in political matters. Although receiv-
ing but little schooling, he supplemented it
with a great deal of reading, and was well in-
formed on current topics of the day. He was
a member of the Methodist Church, and was
early in life associated with the sons of tem-
perance, having strong views and ideas regard-
ing total abstinence. He died in 1887, in his
seventy-sixth year. Mrs. Germond has one
daughter, Clara, now (1897) eight years old.

William Burhans was a farmer by occupa-
tion. He married Miss Mary Smith, and they
had the following children: Henry, Elmira,
Peter, William (2), Edwin S., Charles, John,
Willitt (who died in 1894), and George H.
(who lives in Pleasant Valley, and is the only
survivor). William (Sen.) died about 1S55.

IsA.-\c Gekmond, mentioned above, is a
member of one of the very oldest families in
the county, who formerly owned a large tract
of land surrounding "Germond Hill," near Ver-
bank, and one of the descendants, Lewis D.
Germond, still occupies a part of the original
tract in the town of Washington. George
Washington Germond, father of Isaac, died in
1 891 in his ninetieth year, leaving five sons
and two daughters. The Germonds, Germans
and Jarmans are said by some to be all de-
scended from four brothers who came from
France about two hundred years ago, one set-
tling on Long Island, one in Harlem, one in
the town of Washington, Dutchess county,
and one in the town of Stanford, Dutchess
county.



HON. SAMUEL K. PHILLIPS, county
_ judge of Dutchess county, and a lawyer
of wide reputation for ability and success in
the management of important cases, is a na-
tive of Brooklyn, N. Y., born February 12,
1858, but since the age of four years he has
had his home in the village of Matteawan.
His father, Edmund S. Phillips, was the first
lawyer to locate at Matteawan.

Judge Phillips received his education in the
private and public schools of Matteawan, and
at an early age began his professional studies
in his father's office. He was admitted to the
bar in May, 1879, having just attained his
majority, and immediately engaged in practice.
During the past sixteen years he has made an
enviable record, and has been retained as
counsel, on one side or the other, in nearly all



the cases of note that have arisen in this lo-
cality. He was engaged by the State of New
York to take charge of the legal matters in
connection with the location of the State Hos-"
pital at Matteawan, and later was employed
by the State in the important matter of acquir-
ing a right of way for a sewer from that insti-
tution to the Hudson river. He is now the
attorney for the Mechanics Savings Bank, of
Fishkill Landing; for The Matteawan Savings
Bank, and for The Matteawan National Bank,
and has been the legal advisor of the pro-
moters of many of the leading business enter-
prises of the town. In some of the most im-
portant of these ventures he is personally
interested; he is president of The Matteawan.
Savings Bank, a director of The Matteawan
National Bank, and was one of the projectors,
and is still a director and one of the principal
stockholders of the electric railway system of
the town of Fishkill. He is a trustee and the
treasurer of Highland Hospital; a trustee of
the Fairview Cemetery Association, chairman
of the board of trustees, and for more than
twenty years secretary of the Sunday-school of
the Methodist Episcopal Church at Matteawan.
For the past ten )'ears he has been a member
of the board of education, and during the last
year of his service therein was its president.

Able and popular, possessing all the quali-
ties which insure success in public lif(?, it is
not surprising that he should already have be-
come a leader in political affairs. In Novem-
ber, 1895, he was elected on the Republican
ticket to the office of county judge. Com-
menting upon his nomination, the Poughkeep-
sie S/ar says: " * * * young in years
but old in experience, a good lawyer, a man
to be trusted by the people. Although there
are many attorneys in the county who feel
that this is a good year to be the nominee on
the Republican ticket, all were united in en-
dorsing Mr. Phillips as the choice of the
party." The Fishkill S/d;n/irn/, the leading
Democratic paper of the locality, said: "As a
citizen of the town of Fishkill, and as an active
professional man, we have only words of com-
mendation for Samuel K. Phillips. Raised in
Matteawan, and educated in the public schools
there, he has always been before the eyes of
the public, and has won his way to distinction
and success by many excellent qualities. That
he will make a good county judge, if elected,
and be a worthy successor of those who have
preceded him, issuie."




c/a:.




COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



197



The Judge is a prominent Free Mason, and
at present is master of Beacon Lodge No. 283,
F. & A. M., a member of Highland Chapter
No. 52, R. A. M., Hud.-^on River Command-
er}', K. T. , and Mecca Temple, Order of the
Mystic Shrine. In October, 1885, he married
Miss Henrietta Reid, daughter of Luke and
Abigail (Darling) Reid, of Hudson, N. Y.
They have one son, Samuel Vincent Phillips.



GUERNSEY FAMILY. (I) John Guern-
sey, the progenitor of the Guernsey fam-
il\' in America, appears in Milford, Conn.,
about 1634. (II) Joseph Guernsey, son of the
above, born in 1639, married Hannah Colej',
daughter of Samuel Coley, Sr. , April 10, 1663,
resided at Milford, and was a " free planter."

(Ill) Joseph Guernsey, son of Joseph, was
born at Milford, 1674. Large land owner.
He married Hannah Disbrow, daughter of
Gen. Disbrow, of Horse Neck, and removed to
Woodbury, Conn., where he died September
15, 1754. ( I\') John Guernsey, son of above,
born April 6, i 709, married ' ' .•Xnn Peck, daugh-
ter of Jeremiah Peck, and granddaughter of
the Rev. Jeremiah Peck, well known through-
out New England. " He removed to Litchfield,
Conn., thence to Amenia, N. Y. , where he
died and was buried, 1783.

(V') John Guernsey, son of John and Ann
Guernsey, was born October 28, 1734. He
married Azubah Buel; removed to Broome
county, N. Y. , where he owned 1,000 acres of
land; afterward returned to Amenia, where he
died in 1799, and was buried near the grave of
his father. (VI) Ezekiel Guernsey, M. D.,
son of the above, was born in 1775, married
Lavoisa Bennett, daughter of Col. Peter Ben-
nett, and died at Stanford, Dutchess county,
N. Y., in 1856.

(VIIj Stephen Gano Guernsey, son of Eze-
kiel and Lavoisa Guernsey, was born in the
town of Stanford, September 8, 1799, and
died in the town of Stanford in 1875; married
Lienor Rogers, of Litchfield, Conn., daughter
of Dayton Rogers and granddaughter of a
Revolutionary soldier.

(\TIIj Stephen Gang Guernsey, son of
Stephen Gano and Elenor Guernsey, was born
April 22, 1848, in the town of Stanford, Dutch-
ess county, N. Y., and in his boyhood winters
attended the common schools of the locality,
while in the summers he did general work on



the farm. His education he finished at Fort
Edward Institute, Glens Fails, New York.

In 1870 Mr. Guernsey moved to Pough-
keepsie, where he read law with Judge Charles
Wheaton and his brother, D. W. Guernsey,
and was admitted to the bar in 1871. In 1874
he was appointed deputy county clerk, which
incumbency he held until 1876, when he re-
signed to commence the practice of law for
himself in the office of Jacob Jewett, who died
some few months later. Mr. Guernsey contin-
ued in the same office, and has since remained
in active practice, which is a general one. In
his political preferences Mr. Guernsey is a
Democrat, and has served as member of the
board of education four years — from 1890 to
1894. He was U. S. Loan Commissioner, ap-
pointed under Gov. Robinson, and has been
re-appointed by each succeeding governor to
the present time, although, owing to a change
of the State laws, there is little business for
the of^ce at present. In 1892 he was elected
president of the Poughkeepsie National Bank,
and is still serving as such.

In 1877 Mr. Guernsey was married to Miss
Marianna Hicks, and children as follows were
born to them: Raymond Gano (IX) Homer
Wilson, Louis Gildersleeve and Emeline. Our
subject is a careful, conservative business man.



ELIZABETH H. GEROW, M. D., a pio-
neer woman physician of Poughkeepsie,

Dutchess county, whose success has been a
pleasing and convincing test of the abilitj" of
her se.x to cope with all the dif^culties of her
profession, is a descendant of an old Huguenot
family, the name being originally Giraud.

Her ancestors were early settlers in Ulster
county, and her great-grandfather, William
Gerow, was a resident of Plattekill, where the
homestead has ever since been maintained.
Her grandfather, Elias Gerow, lived and died
there; he married Elizabeth Coutant, and their
son, Elias Gerow (2), our subject's father, was
also a lifelong resident, following farming as
an occupation. He married Sally Ann Baker,
a native of Westchester county, who survived
him and died at our subject's home in Pough-
keepsie. Ten children were born of this union
— four daughters and six sons — of the latter
only four are now living.

Dr. Elizabeth H. Gerow attended the
schools of Plattekill during her childhood, and
later studied in the Friends' School at Union



198



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Springs, N. Y. She taught for some time in
Ulster county, and then, desiring to prepare
herself for the medical profession, she entered
the Woman's Hospital in Boston, Mass. After
eight months there she began the course in the
Medical Department of Michigan University,
from which she was graduated in the spring of
1875. ^he had, in the meantime, continued
her studies in the Woman's Hospital during
her vacations, spending about three years, in
all, in the institution, and gaining an experi-
ence which at that time was seldom obtainable
by a woman. She became an expert in deal-
ing with the diseases of women and children,
and, from the first, has met with unusual suc-
cess in her practice. On ,\fay i, 1875, she
opened her office in Poughkeepsie, and in five
years had all the business that she could attend
to. For the past ten years she has devoted
her entire time to her large office practice.

Dr. Gerow is held in high esteem among
her professional associates, as well as with the
general public, and was appointed on the
first ^fedical Board of the Vassar Hospital in
Poughkeepsie, and she is a member of the
Dutchess County Medical Society, and a cor-
responding member of the Boston Gynecolog-
ical Society.



WILLIAM L. DAVIS (deceased), a well-
known farmer and auctioneer of the

town of Washington, was born in Columbia
county, February 10, 1835. His father,
Henry D., was born in the same county, where
he married and settled on a farm. To him
and his wife were born these children: Or-
ville, who married Miss Maria Emigh, and is
now farming in the town of Clinton; he has
one son, Henry T. ; Esther died unmarried,
April 10, 1896; William L. is our subject. Mr.
Davis farmed in Columbia county and in Wis-
consin, dying in the latter place in 1837. His
wife was Miss Jane Ann Lawton, who was
born in the town of Washington May i, 1809,
the only child of Seth Lawton, who was born
June 18, 1782, in Rhode Island, and died in
November, 1869, and Esther (Peck) Lawton,
who was born near New York City, August 25,
1786, and died December 6, 185 1. David
Lawton, the father of Seth, was a farmer in
Washington town.

^Villiam L. , our subject, remained at home
in the town of Washington until December 27,
1856, on which date he was married to Miss



Mary L. \\'ilson, daughter of Thomas and
Mary (Streight) Wilson. Mr. and Mrs. Davis
secured a farm in this town, and three children
were born to them, namely: Thomas L., born
March 6, 1859, died October 7, 1862: Seth L.,
born December 17, 1862, died December 20,
1864; Willard H., born September 15. 1865.
Mr. Davis was ;-. Democrat, and he and his
wife were both members of the Methodist
Church.

W^ILL.\KI)H. manages the farm of 168 acres,
on which he raises Jersey cattle, Berkshire
hogs, and Thorndale horses. The farm is
called " Brookside Stock Farm."

Thomas Wilson, the father of Mrs. Davis,
was born and reared in the town of Unionvale;
his wife was born in Stanford. They settled
on a farm in Unionvale, and reared a family of
six children: Eseck, a retired citizen of
Poughkeepsie; Maria became the wife of Dr.
John Perry, of Amenia, and after his death
she married Moses Conger, a lawyer in the
town of Clinton; Sally A. married Henry
Chamberlin, a tanner and currier ( both are de-
ceased) ; Mary L. is our subject's wife; John
died in the Civil war; George, a farmer, died
August 21, 1896, in Ashley, Illinois. Thomas
Wilson died in 1843, and his wife Jul)- 3, 1879.

Joseph Wilson, Mrs. Davis' grandfather,
was born in Ireland, where he followed the oc-
cupation of a weaver. Henry Streight was
the maternal trrandfather of Mrs. W^ilson.



HLLIAM R. KIMLIN, who was a prom-
/ inent contractor and builder in Pough-
keepsie, Dutchess county, and whose death
took place December 8, 1891, was born in
that city October 7, 1843. His father, W^ill-
iam Kimlin, was born in Ireland in 1800, and
came to America in 1839.

\\'illiam Rimlin obtained a good education
in the public schools, and also in that con-
nected with Christ Church (Episcopal). He
was a man of keen perceptions, and, having
always been a great reader, was well informed
on all subjects of general interest. After leav-
ing school he learned the trade of a mason,
serving an apprenticeship of three years with
Mr. Harlow while the latter was engaged in
buililing Vassar College. He was a journey-
man mason for some time, and was also fore-
man for Elias Spross for several years. About
1874 he started as a contractor and builder in
partnership with James Mathews, the firm



COMMEMOUATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



199



name being Kimlin & Mathews. This connec-
tion continued for three or four years, when
Mr. Kimlin assumed entire charge of the busi-
ness for himself. During this time he made
contracts for some of the largest buildings in
the city, among others the post office, which
was begun in the fall of 1884, Mr. Kimlin com-
pleting his part of the work in 18S6. He was
one of the foremost men in his trade, and,
having more than average ability and judg-
ment, was successful in his enterprises. He
possessed strong individuality, and made him-
self felt in any matters in which he was
interested.

Mr. Kimlin was married September 17,
1873, to Miss Mary, daughter of Thomas Conn,
of New York City. Her father was a butcher,
and was of Irish descent, his family coming
from County Down. Five children were born
of this union: William T. is in the employ of
F. J. Nesbitt; Stewart T. , Lottie S. and Edith
B. are at home with their mother; and one
died in infancy. Of these, William T. and
Stewart T. have learned the mason trade, and
expect in about a year or so to enter in the
same business as their father.

Mr. Kimlin was strongly in sympathy with
the Republican party, although he never took
an active part in politics. He belonged to the
E.xempt Firemen, and was a member of
Christ Church, Episcopal. He was a loyal'
citizen, and always ready to do his share toward
promoting the interests of his community.



GEORGE TOFFEY DOUGHTY (de-
_ ceased) was throughout life identified
with the interests of the town of Beekman, his
birth having occurred at Greenhaven, in that
township, October 6, 18 16. The Doughty
family came from England at a very early pe-
riod in the history of this country, one of the
first being Francis Doughty, a clergyman of
the Church of England.

Joseph Doughty, the grandfather of our
subject, was born on Long Island, and fol-
lowed farming as a life work. He was a sin-
cere member of the Society of Friends. He
married Miss Psyche Wiltsie, and tothern were
born twelve children, namely: Thomas, who
became a farmer of Beekman town; Joseph,
who in early life was a merchant, and later
lived in Beekman town; Cornwell, a farmer
and merchant of the same township; Nehe-
miah, a farmer and miller, also of Beekman



town; William, the father of our subject;
Martin, also a farmer of Beekman town; Jacob,
a merchant of Greenhaven; Psyche, who
married Samuel Vail, a prominent citizen of
Albany, N. Y. ; Mary, who wedded Jonathan
Hoag, a farmer of Nassau, N. Y. ; Jane, who
married Philip Flagler, an agriculturist; John
and Elizabeth.

William Doughty, the father of our sub-
ject, was a native of the town of Beekman,
and on attaining to man's estate was united in
marriage with Mrs. Sarah Vanderburgh (nee
Van Wyck), by whom he had si.\ children:
Phebe, John J., Pysche, William, Sarah and
George T. All his life .the father carried on
farming in the town of Beekman, where he
was numbered among the highly-esteemed cit-
izens. He died in 1854 at the age of eighty-
four years, the mother in 1865 at the age of
ninety-four years.

During his boyhood, George T. Doughty
attended the district schools near his home in
Beekman town, and for three years resided
with his sister at New Lebanon, N. Y. He
was also for a time a student in the Nine Part-
ners Boarding School in the town of Washing-
ton, Dutchess county. He always followed the
vocation of farming, and erected all the build-
ings upon his place with the exception of the
residence.

On December 14, 1836, in the town of
Beekman, Mr. Doughty married Miss Eliza-
beth Van Benschoten, of the town of Lagrange,



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 39 of 183)