J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 44 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 44 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

being a portion thereof. He was a millwright
by trade, and was employed on the manor by
Patroon Van Rensselaer, his home being in
the vicinity of Claverack, where his descend-
ants have since resided, many of them attain-
ing to positions of great prominence. His son,
Pierre Boucher, was born about 1675, ^^^ A\ed
February 19, 1739. One of his sons, Jacob
(born January 13, 171 5, died in 1786), had a
son Antoine (born .\pril 30, 1775. died 1856)
who had a son Johannes, our subject's grand-
father (born October 11, 18061, who had a
son, Peter, our subject's father (born May 5,
1835). With the exception of the last-named
these all followed the millers' trade in the vi-
cinity of Claverack. Peter departed from the
rule, engaging in agriculture exclusively, and
being industrious, temperate and thrifty has
made a success of a business which is not al-
ways profitable in these days. He is a mem-
ber of the Baptist Church, and in politics is a
I3emocrat, taking no part, however, in the
active work of the organization. He married
Miss Mary Cummings, daughter of Jacob Cum-
mings, a native of New England, and a prom-
inent resident of Claverack. She died in 1870,
and of their five children only three are now
living, our subject being the eldest.

Dr. Poucher received his primary education
at the public schools of Claverack, later attend-
ing Claverack College, from which institution
he was graduated in 1 879, in the classical
course. For one year he taught in the public
schools, and then entered Union College,
graduating in 1883 from the medical depart-
ment. Locating at Modena, Ulster county,
he established a general practice; but wishing
to pursue his studies further, he disposed of
his business in 1885 and went to Europe for
two years, spending the first year in Berlin,
then dividing the second between Vienna and
Paris, making a specialty of surgery and gyne-
cology. On his return, in 1887, he opened an
office in Poughkeepsie, and has since built up
a large general practice. Although a general
practitioner, he makes a specialty of surgery,
in which respect he is widely known through-
out this section of the State, and takes rank
among the foremost of his profession. He is
a surgeon on the staff of Vassar Brothers'
Hospital, a member of the State and County
Medical Societies, and a liberal contributor of
articles to meetings of these societies. He
has lately been appointed to the board of
Pension Examining Surgeons.




In 1892 Dr. PoLichcr inanieil Miss Cath-
erine D. Le Fever, daughter of Hon. Jacob
Le Fever, member of Congress, and one
child, a daughter, has been born to them.
Both the Doctor and his wife are prominent
in the social life of the city, and are leading
members of the Washington Street M. E.
Church, of which he is a trustee. He is a
member of the Sons of the Revolution, and
Mrs. Poucher's ancestry entitles her to a place
in the society of the Daughters of the American
Kevolution. Dr. Poucher is a member of the
Holland Society, the Society of Colonial Wars,
and the Society of Old Guard. He is inter-
ested also in athletics, and belongs to the
Tennis, Golf, and Boat Clubs, and to the
Amrita Club. Of all movements for local im-
provement he is a prompt and hearty support-
er, and in political affairs his influence is given
to the Republican party. He has served as
alderman of the Fifth ward, and at the present
time is one of the commissioners of the board
of public works, the first member elected to
that board, previous ones having been appoint-
ed. Socially he affiliates with the F. & A. M.,
Triune Lodge; Poughkeepsie Chapter and
Commandery; the Mystic Shrine of New York
City; and he is a life member of the Ancient
and Accepted Scottish Rite of New York,
which gives him the 32nd degree.

CLARK KIRBY. For over a century the
Kirby family has been identified with the
interests of Quaker Hill, town of Pawling,
Dutchess county, New York.

In 1757, in the village of New Bedford,
R. I., was born George Kirby, of English de-
scent. In 1780, he came to Quaker Hill and
settled just across the road from where the
new school house now stands. He possessed
about one hundred acres of land at this place,
and here made his home for some time, later
buying what was then known as the old Reed
Ferris farm, but subsequently called the "old
Kirby House." Some time afterward he
bought the farm consisting of about three
hundred acres, and on this he passed his re-
maining days. He married (probably after his
coming to Dutchess county) .Anna Stocum, and
by this marriage had seven children- -five sons
and two daughters: Clark, of whom special
mention is made below; Gideon, who was as-
sociated with his brother Clark, and died on

the homestead; Uriah, who lived in Amenia;
William, who lived near Poughkeepsie; Hum-
phrey, deceased while young; Hannah, who
married Akin Taber; and Amy, who died un-
married. With the exception of the son Hum-
phrey, the entire family lived to advanced
ages. The father died in the year 183 i, be-
loved and respected by his fellowmen. He
was one of the leading men in the community,
and in his religious faith was a Quaker, prac-
ticing in his daily life the simple tenets of that
sect, and in his kindly, courteous manner, an-
nouncing his unfaltering belief in the Brother-
hood of Man. His wife died February 18,

Clark Kirby, the eldest son of George
Kirby, was born on Quaker Hill, February 16,
1794, and made his home there until the re-
moval of his parents to the Kirby farm below
the Hill. Here he and his brother Gideon
owned a large tract of land, some eight or nine
hundred acres, and followed farming as an oc-
cupation all their lives. In this they had
more than ordinary success, and were ranked
among the leading men of the place.

Clark Kirby had acquired an education such
as was obtained by very few men in these
times, and was especially fond of mathematics.
He was a natural student, and his leisure time
was spent in reading, which covered a wide
range, and he became a well-informed man on
general topics of interest — ancient and modern.

On November 28, 1833, he was married
to Charlotte Hungerford, of New Milford,
Conn., and they became the parents of three
daughters, as follows: Caroline, who married
George Miller, of New York City; Helen, who
married William Akin Taber, of Pawling,
Dutchess Co., N. Y. ; and Frances. Mr. Kirby
was one of the original board of directors of
the Pawling National Bank, and held this po-
sition for over twenty years. In politics he
was first a Whig, later a Republican, and as a
private citizen was much interested in public
affairs, though he had no desire to pose before
the world in the fierce light that beats on pub-
lic officials. In his quiet, unassuming way he
served the public only by his conscientious
performance of every duty, a worthy example
for emulation. Like his father before him, he
was a believer in the religion that sprung from
the teaching of George Fox. In 1881 this
gentle spirit was gathered to his fathers, and
1894 his wife, too, entered upon the unseen





W^ though but a recent acquisition to the
medical fraternity of this section. Dr. Teta-
inorc, of Matteawan. has a reputation, gained
in other fields of practice, which has at once
placed him in the front rank of the profession
here. In 1882 he began his active practice in
Brooklyn, N. Y. , and continued there until Sep-
tember, 1896, when he opened his present
offices in Matteawan, and also established a
sanitarium for the accommodation of his
numerous patients, who will find here pure
air, quiet, and the soothing influences of charm-
ing natural scenery. Dr. Tetamore has at-
tained prominence as a surgeon, and, to quote
from the Brooklyn Rnoic/, is a "specialist"
in those delicate operations which relate to the
restoration of the face by transplanting tissue.
He successfully demonstrated that the bones
of animals could not be utilized in restoring
injured portions of the face, but by the trans-
planting of tissue he succeeded in constructing
an artificial face for a lady from Scranton,
I'enn., who was fearfully disfigured in an acci-
dent on the Reading railroad. " Many natu-
ral deformities have been successfully operated
upon by him — crooked limbs, backs and necks
straightened under his methods."

A brief outline of Dr. Tetamore's history
will be of interest to the readers of this vol-
ume. His family originated in Holland, the
first of his ancestors to cross the ocean being
his great-great-grandfather Tetamore, who
served in the Revolutionary war. He married
an Indian squaw, and their son, our subject's
great-grandfather, who was born in the north-
ern part of this State, served as a soldier in
the war of 181 2. William Tetamore, the
grandfather of our subject, was born in 1806,
in the town of Rhinebeck, Dutchess county,
and throughout his mature years made his
home in the village of Red Hook, where he
died in 1895. For seventy years he was a
member of the old Dutch Church of Rhine-
beck; his talents were of an unusual order, and
he invented the old hay press, which has been
in common use for many years, and has not
yet been superseded. He married Hannah
Amie, of the town of Milan, Dutchess county,
and has three children: John W. ; Anna, who
married C. C. Coons, an extensive horticult-
urist of Gcrmantown, Columbia county; and
Mary E., the wife of V. O. Ricker, a house-
finisher at 1 1 6th street. New York City.

John W. Tetamore, the Doctor's father.

was a native of Red Hook, where he first saw
the light in 1830; he lived in Dutchess county
until he was twenty-one, when he went to New
York City. He married Elizabeth Martin, a
daughter of Robert and Maria (Done) Martin;
the fortner, a well-known merchant and tin-
smith of Hudson, N. Y., was a soldier in the
war of 1 81 2, and the grandfather, Robert
Martin, a native of the North of Ireland, served
in the Revolutionary war; Mrs. Maria Martin
was a daughter of Ezra Done, of Columbia

After their marriage the Doctor's parents
settled for a time in Hudson, but at present
they reside in Brooklyn. They are both mem-
bers of the Baptist Church, although the Tet-
amore family have always been Lutherans.
In politics, however, J. W. Tetamore agrees
with the other members of his family, and is a
stanch Republican. The Doctor is the eldest
of si.\ children, the others being: Lelia mar-
ried Geo. W. Granger, of Brooklyn; Jane T. B.
is the wife of E. A. Anderson, an assistant su-
perintendent of the New York Life Insurance
Co. ; Henry M., who died at the age of twenty-
eight, was a dentist in Brooklyn; Lewis J., a
printer in New York City, is married to Miss
Ada Pouch, of Brooklyn; and William, who is
now twent3'-one years old, resides in New
York City.

Dr. Tetamore's earthl}- career began Au-
gust 28, 185 r, at Hudson, but until he was
eleven years of age his time was chiefly spent
in Red Hook. He then returned to his native
place, and attended the public schools for
about two years. At thirteen he went to
Albany as clerk in the drug store of Collins &
Kirk, and after two years there he went to
Staten Island in a similar capacit\'. Later he
returned to Albany and entered the employ of
H. B. Clement & Co., druggists, for a time,
and then he took charge of the drug store of
Dr. William H. Peer, of Brooklyn, remaining
a year and a half. While there he attended
the New York Dental College, and although
he did not graduate, he began to practice at
Brooklyn, and at the same time began to read
medicine with Dr. George K. Fowler, surgeon
of the Second Brigade, N. Y. N. G. Contin-
uing his medical course, he was graduated in
1882 from the Long Island Ho.spital College,
and after spending a short time as Curator of
the college, he established an office at Brook-
lyn, and began his work as a practitioner.

His abilities have received




many sources. He was appointed hospital
steward of the Fourteenth Regiment, N. Y.
N. G., in 1879, assistant surgeon in 1885,
surgeon in 1890, and State medical inspector
of U. S. Camp at Peekskill, N. Y. , in 1896.
As has been noted, he went to Matteawan in
the fall of 1896, and has leased the residence
of the late Dr. J. P. Schenk, where he has an
office on Leonard street, near Fountain Square.
On No\-ember 25, 1873, Dr. Tetaniore
married Miss Mary E. Davison, daughter of
William Davison, of Brooklyn. Three chil-
dren have blessed this union: Walter D.,
born in 1874; Florence M., born in 1876;
and Clarence, born in 187S. Politically the
Doctor is a Republican. In religious faith he
is a Baptist, and while living in Brooklyn he
served as superintendent of a Sunday-school,
which increased under his care from fifty
pupils to 1,200. Re belongs to the I. O.
O. F. , also the Junior Order of American
Mechanics, and is a prominent member of the
N. Y. County Medical Association. Altogether
it will be seen that Matteawan has reason to
congratulate herself upon Dr. Tetamore's
choice of a home.

_, prominent citizen of the town of Rhine-
beck, Dutchess county, resides upon a beautiful
estate two miles from the village of Rhinebeck.
It was there that he first saw the light Sep-
tember 27, 1857, and in his mature years
he finds it the pleasantest spot in which to
pass the leisure which culture and refinement
can so well emplo}' in congenial tasks." He
attended school in his boyhood in New York
City, and later entered Harvard College, and
was graduated from the literary department
with the degree of A. B. , in 1 879, and from the
medical department, in i 882. A trip to Europe
followed, with two years of study at Vienna and
Heidelberg, and he then returned to his native
land. April 18, 1886. he was married to Miss
Martha LeRoy Glover, who was born in New
York City in 1864, and received there a liberal
education. Ever since their marriage the Doc-
tor and his wife have resided at the old home.
They have three children: George Norton,
born January 6, 1888, the third of the name in
direct line of descent; Helen LeRoy, born July
8, 1889, and Catherine Caroline, born March
7, 1890.

The Miller family is of English origin, and

the Doctor is of the si.xth generation from Will-
iam Miller who settled in 1648 at Ipswich,
Mass., where he became a freeholder and was
one of the heaviest tax payers. He and his wife
Patience had a son Abram, who was born Jan-
uary 20, 167 1, at Northampton, Mass. He
married Harriet Clapp, and had a son Jona-
than, who was born in 1703, and died in 1787.
He was married January 2, 1723, to Sarah
Allen, and had a son Elisha, our subject's great-
grandfather, who was born in Connecticut in
1730, and died in 1807. October 18, 1764, he
married Sarah Fowler, whose death occurred in
1772. Their son William, our subject's grand-
father, who was born in Connecticut in 1768,
became a well-known minister of the Congre-
gational Church. He died in 1 8 1 8 ; but his wife,
Anna Starr, who was born in 1772, lived
nearly a century, passing away in 1865.

George Norton Miller, our subject's father,
was born in Hartford, Conn., July 27, 1805,
and for many years was a prominent business
man in Charleston, S. C. In October, 1855,
he married Miss Caroline Tucker Chace. She
passed to her eternal rest September 19, 1872;
but his life was prolonged until March 10,
1892. Of their four children all but one, a
daughter, survive, viz.: William Starr, H.
Ray, and the subject of our sketch.

JiOSEPH FIELD (deceased) was born in
• the city of New York, January 7, 1829, and
was a son of Joseph and Hannah (Dusen-
berry) Field, the former a native of Westches-
ter county, N. Y. In that city he was reared
and educated in its public schools. After learn-
ing the wagon-maker's trade, in 1851 he went
to Kings Bridge, N. Y. , where he engaged in
that business, tt was there that he met Tem-
perance R. Darke, to whom he was married,
December 8, 1853; in the following spring,
on account of ill-health, he gave up wagon-

About 1S65 Mr. Field removed to a farm
near Sharon, Conn., which he operated until
1868, when he came to the village of Amenia,
where he conducted a market up to the time
of his death, January 27, 1892. He was made
a Mason in Shekomeko Lodge at Washington
Hollow, Dutchess county, and later affiliated
with Amenia Lodge No. 672, F. & A. M.,
while politically he was an ardent Republican,
but would never accept official positions. He
was faithful in the discharge of every duty, was



a man of excellent principles and a blameless
life, and thoroughly enjoyed the esteem and
respect of every community in which he re-
sided, and died, mourned by a large circle of
friends and acquaintances.

Mrs. Field, a most estimable lady, was
born June 24, 1832, and is the daughter of
Charles and Temperance R. (Hayden) Darke.
By her marriage she became the mother of
three daughters: Ella, born February 12,
1855, married Charles Jenkins, by whom she
has three children — Maria Louise, Harry and
John Roy; Maria, born May 26, i860, died
March 21, 1864; and Gertrude, born June 14,
1872, completes the family.

Charles Darke, the father of Mrs. Field,
was a native of Bloomingdale, N. Y., and most
of his life was engaged in the market business
at Kings Bridge. However, he spent his last
years in Ameiiia, where both himself and wife
died and were buried. They had four chil-
dren: Temperance; Charles H., of Poughkeep-
sie, N. Y. ; Isaac D. , of Springfield. Mass. ; and
Emma, wife of George T. Willson.

resented in Dutchess county by Martin
and Dewitt Heermance, is descended from
Jan Heermance, who came to America from
Holland in 1659. His will, written in Dutch,
is on record in the surrogate's office in New
York City. His descendants settled, at an
early date, in Dutchess county. One of
them, Hendricus Heermance, married a daugh-
ter of Gerrit Artsen, one of the partners to the
first purchase of land from the Indians, at
Rhinebeck (the Kipsbergerj in 1686, subse-
quently confirmed by royal patent in 1688.
In 1 7 16 Hendricus Heermange bought, of his
father-in-law, property now known as Ellers-
lie, the present home of Governor Morton.
Catharine Heermance, a granddaughter of Jan
Heermance, married John The Baptist Kip, a
grandson of Jacob Kip, one of the original
grantees under the royal patent of 1688.

Jacob Heermance, a grandson of Jan, and
brother of Catharine, married Catharine Vos-
burgh, a daughter of Jan Vosburgh and Cor-
nelia Knickerbocker. They had eight chil-
(Jren — four sons and four daughters — Jacob,
John, Andrew, Martin, Cornelia, Anna, Doro-
thea and Eleanor. Cornelia Heermance mar-
ried Gen. David Van Ness; Eleanor married
Peter Cantine; Dorothea married Henry De-

Witt, and Anna married Isaac Stoutenburgh.
Martin Heermance married a daughter of Dr.
Hans Kiersted, a direct descendant of the Dr.
Hans Kiersted who in 1642 married Sarah
Roeloffe Jans, daughter of Anneke Jans, from
whom came the millions now possessed by the
Trinity Church Corporation of New York City.
Martin was the only son of Jacob Heermance,
who left sons. F"or many years he was a
leading citizen of the county, and was com-
missioned brigadier-general in the war of 1812.
One of his daughters married Archibald Smith,
a prominent lawyer of Saratoga county, while
another daughter married Dr. Henry Van-
Hoevenberg, at one time health officer of the
Port of New York. Andrew J. Heermance,
one of his sons, bought the property on which
stands the house built by the Kips in the year
1700, and which was subsequently owned by
the Beekman and Livingston families. It is
still in a good state of preservation. He was
a public-spirited, progressive man, and an
honored citizen, and for several terms repre-
sented the town of Rhinebeck in the board of
supervisors of Dutchess county.

Rev. Harrison Heermance, another son of
Gen. Martin Heermance, was a minister of the
Reformed (Dutch) Church. At the breaking
out of the Civil war he was settled in Lenawee
county, Mich.; but he resigned his charge and
entered the army with the 4th Mich. Cav.,
and subsequently served as chaplain of the
128th N. Y. \'. His son, Isaac Henry Heer-
mance, then under sixteen years of age, en-
listed at the same time, in the same regiment,
and died in the service before he was eighteen.
At the close of the war Rev. Harrison Heer-
mance resumed his residence at Rhinebeck,
his native town, and died there in 1883. His
wife was Rebecca A. Van Denbergh, of Lan-
singburg, N. Y. Their two surviving sons,
Martin and DeW'itt Heermance, were born in
Michigan, but frnm their early childhood have
lived at Rhinebeck, and were educated in the
De Garmo Classical Institute, then located in
that town. They have since taken up their
residence in Poughkeepsie. In 1881 M.\ktin
Hekum.xnce was elected supervisor of the
town of Rhinebeck, and was re-elected in
1882. In 1883 he was admitted to the bar,
and entered upon the practice of his pro-
fession in Poughkeepsie. In 1888 he was
elected district attorney of Dutchess county,
and his brother DeWitt, who had graduated
at the .Mbany Law School several years be-




fore, and was then in partnership with him in
the practice of law, was assistant district at-
torney. In 1896 Martin Heermance was ap-
pointed one of the three State assessors of
New York, by Gov. Morton, and was made
chairman of the board. Both Martin and De-
Witt Heermance are members of the Holland
Society. Martin is a member of the Masonic
order, and while residing at Rhinebeck was
twice elected master of Rhinebeck Lodge. In
1 88 1 he married Nina Radcliffe, daughter of
the late David Van Ness Radcliffe, of Albany,
N. Y., and they have one child, Radcliffe
Heermance. In 1892 DeWitt Heermance
married May Hallenbeck, daughter of the late
John J. Hallenbeck, of Montclair, N. J., and
they have one son, Andrew Hallenbeck Heer-
mance. Jacob Heermance, the great-grand-
father of Martin and DeWitt, had a brother
Nicholas, who left descendants, none of whom
are known to be residents of Dutchess county.
The late Rev. Henry Heermance, of Kinder-
hook, and Col. William L. Heermance, now
residing at Yonkers, are descended from this
branch of the family.

HENRY L. YOUNG, a prominent resident
of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, now

living retired from active business, was born in
New York City, August 28, 18 18, the son of
Henry L. and Mary L. (Hyde) Young.

The Young family i^f English extraction,
and Quakers in religious belief. Alexander
Young, the grandfather of our subject, was a
farmer at Sing Sing, N. Y. He married Miss
Ann Slausson, and they reared a family of five
children, namely: Jacob, who became captain
of a Hudson-river vessel. Hiram, who was a
sailor; Nathaniel, who was a farmer in West-
chester county, N. Y. ; Charlotte, married to
William H. Smith, a merchant of New York,
and Henry, father of our subject.

Henry Young was born in [792 at Sing
Sing, N. Y. His wife, Mary L. (Hyde), was
born at Norwich, Conn., and her family was
also of English descent. After their marriage
they lived in New York City, where Mr. Young
carried on a large hardware business. They
had four children, namely: Henry L., our
subject; Mary, who married a Mr. Barnes, a
merchant in New York City (now deceased);
James, who lives in New York City, and is re-
tired from business, and Martha, married to
Henry S. Leavitt, a merchant of New York


City. The father served in the war of 1812,
and he and his wife were members of the Pres-
byterian Church.

Henry L. Young, the subject proper of this re-
view, spent his boyhood days in New York City,
where he attended the private schools, and on
completing his education clerked in his father's
store for four years. He then went to Avon
Springs and settled on a large farm, where he
remained for eleven years. On June 23, 1842,
Mr. Young was united in marriage with Miss
Mary E., daughter of Henry Dwight, of Utica,
N. Y. , and who was of English descent. Five
children have been born to them: Edmund,
who resides in Poughkeepsie; James H., resid-
ing in Brooklyn; Mary D., at home with her
parents; William H., an attorney in New York
City, and Henry D., who died while a student

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 44 of 183)