J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 49 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

died in infancy; Celestia wedded Theodore
Buck; Betsy married David Sterling, and Electa
died while young.

The birth of Homer Waller, Sr., occurred
on the 29th of March, 17S1, at the old home-
stead in Kent Hollow, and he attended the
schools of the neighborhood. He succeeded
to the home farm, which he conducted many
years; was prosperous as a farmer, and a de-
vout member of the Methodist Church. In
iSi 1 he married Miss Martha Merwin, and the
wedding of this couple was one of the great



society events of the time, especially in the
town of New Milford, Conn., where it was
celebrated. All the traveling in those days
was by carriage or horseback, and most of the
guests came the latter way. with their wives or
intended wives back of them. The trousseau,
which was considered quite exp>ensive for those
days, was purchased in New York, and sent
to New Milford by saddle-bags. The wedding
journe)- was made on horseback, from New
Milford to Kent, the bride riding behind her
husband on what was called a pillion. Forty
couples accompanied the pair to their destina-
tion. This saddle and wedding outfit are still
in the possession of the family, together with a
great many other relics of Colonial days.
Upon the old homestead at Kent two children
were born to this worthy couple: Merwin and
Elizabeth M. The former was born January-
15. 1S13. Thej- removed in 1S19 to Gaylords-
ville. town of New Milford. Litchfield Co.. and
Homer was born there. Merwin was educa-
ted in the public schools at home, and at the
"Friends Boarding School" in the town of
Washington, Dutchess Co., N. Y. Smith M.,
his youngest son, now owns and occupies the
handsome old Waller home, he being of the
fourth generation. He was married April 8,
1896, to Miss Julia S. Coleman, of Dover,
N. Y. The Waller family, from the time
their ancestor settled in Kent unto the present,
have been a respected and prominent family.
The old homestead at Kent Hollow is still
owned by members of the family, their title
still being from the King of England.

Merwin Waller was a prominent farmer of
New Milford township, Litchfield Co.. Conn.
On October 15, 1S45, he was united in mar-
riage with Miss Julia Ann Mitchell, by whom
he had one son. Edwin M.. bom July 24. 1S48.
After the death of his first wife Merwin Waller
was married, December 31, 1S50. to Miss Julia
Morehouse, land they had one son. Smith M.,
bora April 6, 1S53. Elizabeth M. Waller, the
sister of our subject, was born July 24, 1S16,
and on January 2, 1S56, she became the wife
of John Fry, son of William Fry. After his
death she married Cornwall Hoag, of Dover,
Dutchess county. She had no children.

On January 31, 1S50, Homer Waller mar-
ried Miss Elizabeth Fry, and they became the
parents of three children: George S. , born
May 4. 1S51; Martha D., born March 25. 1853,
and died December 9. 1875; and William H.,
born July 21, iS-;5. The elder son, George



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



247



S. Waller, was married in 1879 to Miss Mary
A. Beeman, daughter of Edwin Beeman, of
New Preston, Conn., and three children bless
their union: Maitha U., born in 18S1 ; Homer,
born in 1884: and Everett, born in 1891. With
his family George S. Waller resides in Minne-
apolis, Minn., where he is engaged in the com-
mission business.

Christopher Fry, the grandfather of Mrs.
Homer Waller, was a native of New Bedford,
Mass., where he obtained his education, and
was one of the heroes of the Revolutionary
war. For his services in that struggle he ever
afterward received a pension. He married Miss
Elizabeth Allen, by whom he had three chil-
dren: John, Millicent and William, the last
named being the father of Mrs. Waller. He
was born in Dover, Dutchess Co., N. Y. , April
14, 1800, and with his father he learned the
trade of a tanner, after which he conducted a
plant in his native town for a number of years.
He married Miss Deborah Hoag, a daughter of
Isaac and Mary Hoag, of Quaker Hill, Dutch-
ess county. Her father lived to the extreme
old age of one hundred years, and was ever
a very prominent member of the Society of
Friends. To William Fry and his wife were
born seven children: Harriet and Mar}', who
never married; John, who wedded Elizabeth
M. Waller; Cordelia, who remained single;
James, who married Elizabeth Dutcher; Eliza-
beth, the widow of our subject; and Albert,
who first married Sarah Edmonds, and after
her death wedded Julia Thompson.



JOSHUA BENSON (deceased), who was so
well known throughout Dutchess county,
was numbered among the leading and rep-
resentative agriculturists of the town of Ame-
nia. His father, John Benson, was born in
Rhode Island, and there attended the common
schools during his boyhood and youth. When
quite a young man he accompanied his brother
to Dutchess county, N. Y. , and they took up
land in the town of Amenia, where they suc-
cessfully engaged in farming. That property
is still in the possession of the famih'. The
father of our subject took an active interest in
the affairs of his country, and served as a sol-
dier in the war of 181 2. He married Miss
Rachel Darling, of Rhode Island, and to them
were born seven children: Samuel, Joshua,
Peltiah, John, Polly, Philadelphia and Abigail.
Upon the old homestead in the town of



Amenia our subject was born in 1786. When
he had reached a sufficient age he entered the
public schools of the locality, and there ac-
quired a practical education. He earlj- be-
came familiar with the duties that fall to the
lot of an agriculturist, and continued to op-
erate the old home farm throughout life. The
place was one of the most noticeable in the
township for the air of thrift and comfort that
surrounded it, and the evidence of enterprise,
taste and skill. Mr. Benson married Miss
Amanda Hopkins, daughter of Prince and
Jemima Hopkins, of Warren, Litchfield Co.,
Conn., where her father followed merchandis-
ing. Fourteen children were born of this
union, as follovvs: Lodema married Milton
Pray; Henry married Annis Ferris; George
died in childhood; Vanness married Frances
Tompkins; Amanda married Charles Darling;
Jeannette married William Dutcher; Zadie is
ne.xt in order of birth; Dewitt married Susan
Bartlett; Rachel died unmarried; Edwin mar-
ried Emily Ensign; Sarah married Henry
Walker; ^laria married Henry Morgan; The-
resa married Robert Ryan; and Egbert mar-
ried Sarah Hopkins.

Mr. Benson always took a deep interest in
political affairs, and steadfastly adhered to the
principles formulated by the Whig party, al-
though not a seeker after official position. He
was one of the leaders of his party in the com-
munity where he so long made his home, and
his opinions were invariably held in respect.
He lived to the advanced age of ninety-four
years, and when called to the rest and reward
of the higher world his best monument was
found in the love and esteem of the community
in which he had lived for so many years.



DR. FRANCIS M. ROBINSON, a leadmg
dentist of Pawling, N. Y. , is one of
Dutchess county's most enterprising sons.
Borri in Matteawan, October 9, 1857, he was
educated in the schools near his home, and his
success reflects credit upon the section which
afforded him his opportunities, as well as upon
himself.

His family is of English and French de-
scent, and his great-grandfather was one of
the early settlers of the town of Kent, Putnam
Co., N. Y. His grandfather, Adonigee Robin-
son, a man of fine native abilities, was born
there and became one of the prominent men
of his locality. He was a colonel in the State



248



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPUICAL RECORD.



Militia wiien they used to train at Boyd's Cor-
ners, and his business interests were varied
and extensive, as in his earl}' years he carried
on a foundry, store and mill at Farmers Mills
or Milltovvn, and later was engaged in business
at Matteawan. In politics he was a Democrat,
and in religious faith he was an active and in-
fluential member of the Baptist Church. His
death occurred in 1892, but his wife, whose
maiden name was Sophia Russell, is still living
in her eighty-seventh year. They had ten
children — Keziah, Jane, Peter A., Julia, Levi,
Hattie, Coleman, Nathan, Ophelia and Emma,
of whom all but two are living.

Peter A. Robinson, our subject's father,
was born at the old home in Putnam county,
in 1834, and in early manhood engaged in
business at Wappingers Falls, and later was
interested in broom-making for a short time.
He became blind when about twenty-four
years old, and, as a consequence of this sad
hardship, his life has been somewhat secluded.
Although he has been totally blind for nearly
forty years, he goes about freely, his memory
and sense of touch having become marvelously
developed. He married Miss Matilda Badeau,
daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Badeau, who
were natives of Putnam county, but have re-
sided in Matteawan since 1845. The Badeau
family is noted for energy and mental ability,
and has held a high position in this section.
General Adam Badeau, well-known as a writer,
as well as in military affairs, especially in con-
nection with Grant's Memoirs, is a near rela-
tive of Mrs. Robinson. The Doctor was sec-
ond in a family of five children. Of the others
William Badeau is a dentist in Middletown,
N. Y. ; Lenora died at the age of two years;
Lizzie Badeau is at home; and Charles Cole-
man is a recent graduate from the Pennsylva-
nia College of Dental Surgery.

Dr. Robinson finished his academic course
in the schools of Fishkill Landing at about
sixteen years of age, and then clerked for a
year with C. F. Brett, and for three years
with S. G. & J. F. Smith. In 1876 he spent
a short time in a dry-goods house in Fulton
street, Brooklyn, N. Y. , and then began the
study of dentistry with Dr. Barlow, of Fishkill
Landing, now of Poughkeepsie. After one
year with him, and one year with Dr. Cornell
in Brooklyn, he began the practice of his pro-
fession at Patterson, N. Y., where he remained
seven years. During this time a law was
passed requiring all practicing dentists to regis-



ter before the county clerk. In 1885 he re-
moved to Pawling, and has since been actively
engaged there in his chosen calling. He has
an office in Amenia also, where he spends
Monday and Thursday of each week to accom-
modate his numerous patrons in that vicinity.
In 1876 the Doctor married Miss Henrietta
Dodge, daughter of Thomas Dodge, a well-
known citizen of East Fishkill. Three chil-
dren were born of this union: Edwin Dodge,
Harry Sanford and Francis Adams. Although
a Republican in principle, the Doctor is not
active in politics. He is interested in local
improvements, and is always ready to take
part in any movement tending to progress.
Like many professional men, he finds recrea-
tion in different forms of work, and for ten
years has given much attention to the breeding
of Black Langshans. His strain have become
famous throughout the United States, England
and Canada. The Doctor exhibits his birds
annually at the Madison Square Garden, New
York City, where they have made a world-
wide reputation, winning the grand special
prize for best and finest display three years in
succession.



JEREMIAH SHELDON (deceased) was a
leading agriculturist of the town of Beek-
man, and as a valued citizen, a kind father,
and an affectionate husband, his memory should
be cherished and perpetuated by all. He was
born in the town of Dover, Dutchess county,
December 29, 1812, and was a son of Luther
and Mary (Butts) Sheldon. In his native town-
ship he spent his boyhood days, and attended
the district schools. While yet a young man
he became a cattle dealer, driving his stock to
New York City, and later followed that busi-
ness there. In 1849 he returned to Dutchess
county, purchasing the farm now occupied by
his daughter, Mrs. A. B. Anhkews, and there
continued to make his home up to his death,
which occurred May 1^9, 1882.

On January 11, 1843, in the town of Beek-
man, Mr. Sheldon married Miss Sophia M.
Doughty, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth
Doughty, and of their union were born three
children: Amelia B., wife of Kromaline An-
drews; Mary J.; and William H., who was
engaged in the coal and lumber business at
Poughkeepsie, but is now deceased. The
mother was called to her final rest February i,
1886. Mr. Sheldon took an active interest in





^C^-y-^n^ci.




■rOe'0^\^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



249



all affairs tending to the improvement of his
town and county, and for several terms he
served as supervisor of the town of Beekman.
In early life his political support was given to
the Whig party, and, on its dissolution, he
became a Republican.

Kromaline Andrews is a native of the
town of Unionvale, Dutchess county, and is
the son of Philip Schuyler Andrews, who is
now living at Shaffers Mills, town of Lagrange,
Dutchess county. The son attended the dis-
trict schools near his home in Unionvale, and
later was a student in Carey's school in Pough-
keepsie, after which he clerked in the dry-
goods store of George Van Kleeck in that cit}'
for awhile. Returning to the town of Union-
vale he operated his father's farm, and while
thus engaged was married October 22, 1879,
to Miss Amelia B. Sheldon. After the death
of her father, they removed to the old Sheldon
farm, where they have since resided and are
numbered among the highly respected people
of the community. In politics Mr. Andrews
is a Republican. Mary J. Sheldon, a single
lady, and sister of Mrs. A. B. Andrews, makes
her home with Mr. and Mrs. Andrews.



CHARLES H. GALLUP, of the firm of C.
H. Gallup & Co., which is in the front
rank along with the leading art firms of the
State, and which in the city of Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, is not excelled in the class
of work executed, has descended from one of
the intelligent and educated families of New
York State.

The first representative of the family in
America was John Gallup, who came in 1630
from England in the pilgrim ship "Mary and
John, " and located near Stonington, Conn.
One of his sons founded Gallupsville, Schoharie
Co., N. Y. Samuel Gallup was the great-
great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch,
and the latter's grandfather was Nathan Gal-
lup, a millwright by trade, who resided in
Schoharie county. Of Nathan's children,
Henrv Gallup, A. M., the father of Charles
H., of whom we especially write, was born in
181 1. He was educated at Williams College,
from which he was graduated and received the
degree of A. M. Subsequently he spent three
years at Berlin University, Berlin, and trav-
eled through Europe, crossing the Alps on
foot with a friend, and in so doing acquired the
language of that section of tfie continent.



For years Prof. Gallup was principal of the
Academy at Monticello, N. Y., as well as of a
number of other institutions of learning, and
later was principal of New Paltz Academy in
Dutchess county for three years. In 1866,
retiring from active business, he came to
Poughkeepsie, where he died in 1887. In
1849 he had married Julia Stone, who is now
living with her daughter in Poughkeepsie.
Their children are: Charles H., Ella (Mrs. ].
M. Godinezj and Albert C.

Charles H. Gallup was born in the Acad-
emy at Monticello, N. Y. , on November 17,
1852. He was educated in the schools of
which his father was principal, then served an
apprenticeship in a machine shop at Pough-
keepsie, N. Y. , which occupation he followed
some ten or more years. In 1879 he went to
Cuba, where for five years he was in charge
of a large sugar plantation near the center of
the island. In 1884 he returned to Pough-
keepsie to visit his parents, and was persuaded
by his mother to remain. In the following
year he purchased the Seeley photograph gal-
ler}', which business was established in 1857,
and carried on by S. L. Walker, one of the
pioneers in the art of photography. Mr.
Walker had been a pupil of and was aided by
Prof. S. F. B. Morse, who had brought with
him from France the ideas of Daguerre, and
imparted them to Walker, who introduced the
daguerrotype process in the city of Pough-
keepsie. Our subject seemed well adapted to
the business which he entered upon with his
intelligence and his usual energy and snap,
and the result is the building up of a first-class
art gallery complete in all appointments,
where a successful business is being carried
on. He and his partner are progressive men,
affable and courteous, and have kept abreast
of the times. At their art emporium is dis-
played good work; they employ a number of
specialists, and all the work there executed is
of the highest order, first-class in every re-
spect. A man of tact, Mr. Gallup has seen
what the people want, and has met that want.
He has spared no pains in the use of printers'
ink, but advertised extensively, and is meeting
the popular demand of a good quality of work
at a low price. His ten-dollar life-size crayon
work, and three-dollar cabinet pictures re-
ceived the highest medal awarded at the
Dutchess County F^ir, for superior work.
His motto is "Superior Work at Reasonable
Prices." It remained for our subject to intro-



250



COMMEMORATIVE BIOOHAPmCAL RECORD.



duce the process of instantaneous photography
into Poughkeepsie.

On September 20, 1893, Mr. Gallup was
married to Edna M., a daughter of O. ^^^
Eggleston, assistant general roadmaster of the
N. Y. C. & H. R. railroad, now a resident of
White Plains, N. Y. Mr. Gallup erected in
1895 one of the most tasty and convenient, as
well as attractive, homes in the city, located on
Balding avenue. He designed his own plans,
and the building was erected entirely under
his own super\ision.

Many of Mr. Gallup's ancestors fought in
the Indian wars, in the war of the Revolution,
and in that of 181 2, three bearing the rank of
captain and two that of colonel. In the his-
tory of the family are given the, names of over
sixty Gallups who fought in the Revolution
and in the war of 18 12, besides of those who
participated in the Indian wars of the colonies.
They were rewarded with many grants of land
for bravery, etc. Capt. John Gallup, in 1637,
off Block Island, had an encounter with a band
of Indians who had captured a sloop from
Capt. John Oldham, which was the first naval
engagement fought in this country. Capt.
Gallup captured the Indians, and took them
prisoners to Boston. They were of the Pecjuot
tribe, and this was the opening of the cele-
brated bloody Pequot war of American history.



JOHN TROWBRIDGE. No family in the
city of Poughkecpsie is better known than

that of which our subject is a member, and
which has held a prominent place in the busi-
ness community for over half a century, dur-
ing that time establishing in financial circles
an enviable reputation for judicious manage-
ment, integrity and ability.

John Trowbridge was born in the town of
Washington, Dutchess county, July 20, 1829,
and traces his paternal ancestry to Thomas, of
the sixth generation, who was born in Somer-
setshire, England, and was the first of the
name to settle in America. From him the or-
der of descent was as follows: William, born
about 1634, in Connecticut; Samuel, born Oc-
tober 7, 1670; Samuel, born August 26, 1700;
Stephen, born in Connecticut January 30,
1726; Stephen, born in Danbury, Conn., Jan-
uary iS, 1756; Stephen B., father of our sub-
ject, born in the town of Northeast, Dutchess
Co., N. Y., March 19, 1799. The grandfather
of our subject was a soldier in the Revolution-



ary war. [For a history of our subject's father
see following sketch of N. C. Trowbridge.]

The subject of our sketch was six years of
age when his parents removed from their farm
in the town of Washington to Poughkeepsie,
in which latter place he attended both the
academy and the Poughkeepsie Collegiate
School on College Hill. He was married on
January 18, 1853, to Miss Eliza Robinson, who
was born in the town of Fishkill, Dutchess
county, the daughter fif Duncan and Mary
Robinson, the former of whom was a farmer
by occupation. Three children were born of
this union, viz.: (i) Mary R., married to John
W. Pelton, now a resident of Poughkeepsie,
formerly a member of the well-known firm of
C. M. & G. P. Pelton, for fifty years manu-
facturers of carpets in Poughkeepsie. (2) Ella,
the wife of S. C. Nightingale, a son of Rev.
Crawford Nightingale, of the well-known fam-
ily of that name in Providence, R. I. ; he is
head of the firm of S. C. Nightingale & Childs,
of Boston, Mass., dealers in railroad and mill
supplies. (3) George S., who died when two
years of age. When a young man Mr. Trow-
bridge began in the mercantile business, hav-
ing a general store on Main street, and for
nearly forty years was engaged in that line,
handling during that time nearly all kinds of
mercantile goods. His establishment became
one of the largest and most important in the
county, and his reputation as a merchant was
of the best. The business in which the Trow-
bridge family was prominent was founded and
conducted as follows: (i i Nathan Conklin, Jr. ,
& Co.; (2) Conklin, Bowne & Co. ; (3) Bowne
& Trowbridge; 14) Bowne, Trowbridge & Co. ;
(5) by retirement of Mr. Bowne the firm be-
came Trowbridge & \\'ilkinson, which con-
tinued till 1 86 1, when it became Trowbridge
& Co., consisting of the brothers, N. Conklin
and John Trowbridge. In 1887 John retired,
and in 1888 N. Conklin also retired, and in
his elegant home, having amassed a comforta-
ble fortune, our subject is now living a quiet
life, in the enjoyment of the results of his
early labors.

Until the formation of the Republican
party Mr. Trowbridge was a Wnig, but since
that time has been in sympathy with the latter
party, although he has never taken an active
part in politics, and has never consented to
hold public office. He has, however, always
been a loyal citizen, and a generous con-
tributor to all enterprises having for their ob-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



L'ol



ject the welfare of the city and county. Since
1853 he has been a member of the Masonic
fraternity, in which he has held several of the
higher offices. Both he and his wife are mem-
bers of the Reformed Dutch Church, and are
prominent members of society.



NCONKLIN TROWBRIDGE, who was
one of the oldest and most prominent

citizens of Poughkeepsie. and a brother of
John Trowbridge (a sketch of whom appears
above), was born in the town of Northeast,
Dutchess county, July 20, 1821.

Stephen B.. Trowbridge, the father of our
subject, was also a native of Northeast, and
was born March 19, 1799. He married Miss
Eliza Conklin, whose birth took place August
29, 1802, in the same town in which her hus-
band was born. She was a daughter of Na-
than Conklin, who was a descendant of the
East Hampton, L. I., family of that name,
formerly spelled Conkling, which came at an
early day to Northeast, Dutchess county.
After their marriage our subject's parents loca-
ted on the old farm in Northeast, living there,
however, but a short time, when they moved
to the town of Washington. Of their eight
children the following record is given: N.
Conklin is the subject of this sketch; Mary E.
married William Wilkinson, a lawyer in Pough-
keepsie; Nathan was druggist in Poughkeep-
sie, and died in early manhood; John is
living at Poughkeepsie, retired from business;
Phcebe E. married fohn G. Boyd, a business
man of Poughkeepsie; Cornelia B. married
Henry Seymour, of New York City; and Julia
and Eliza reside at the old home in Pough-
keepsie. The parents of our subject remained
upon the farm in the town of Washington
until 1834, when they removed to Poughkeep-
sie, Mr. Trowbridge becoming one of the firm
of Conklin, Bowne & Co., with whom he con-
tinued in business for many years. He died
March 25, 1S84. Nathan and Mulford Conklin,
of the above-mentioned firm, were two brothers
who came from the town of Northeast in 1810,
and established themselves in business in
18 14, the firm name at first being Nathan
Conklin, Jr., & Co. In 1835 they built their
brick store house, which is still standing, and is
one of the old landmarks of the city. They
were very prominent men in their day, and
Conklin street was nam.ed for them. They
were the maternal uncles of our subject.



Stephen Trowbridge, grandfather of our
subject, was born in Danbury, Conn., and be-
came a farmer. He married Elizabeth Bar-
num, who was a connection of the well-known
Barnum family of Connecticut, and six chil-
dren were born to them. He enlisted May
12, 1775, as a private in Company 6, of the