J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 50 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 50 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Artesian Corps, which was recruited mainly
in Fairfield county, and took part in the bat-
tles of Hubbardston, Bennington, Saratoga
and Fort George. While in the army he
learned the saddle-making trade, and mended
Gen. Washington's saddle.

N. Conklin Trowbridge, the subject of this
sketch, was seven years old when his parents
moved from the town of Northeast to a farm
in the town of Washington, where he spent
the following seven years. In 1835, at the age
of fourteen years, he went to Poughkeepsie,
where he attended school at College Hill for
two years, after which he entered the general
store of Nathan Conklin, Jr., & Co., as clerk.
He steadily advanced in this business, finally
becoming the proprietor and carrying on the
establishment until 1888, or more than half a.^
•centurj', when he retired from the firm. Mr.
Trowbridge died April 19, 1897.



JAMES LYNCH is one of the reliable and
progressive young business men of Pough-
^ keepsie, Dutchess county, where his birth
occurred November 20, 1869.

His father, James Lynch, Sr. , was a na-
tive of Ireland, and on coming to the United
States when a small boy located at Pough-
keepsie, there being employed by a Mr. Bis-
sell, a sculptor, until 1878. Mr. Lynch then,
in that year, established himself in the marble
business, which he conducted with success up
to his death, which occurred on August 25,
1 89 1. He was a very quiet, conservative
rnan, giving the strictest attention to his busi-
ness, and well deserved the success which
came to him. At Newark, N. J., he had mar-
ried Miss Maria O'Mera, and they became the
parents of five children: Catherine, Annie,
James, Mary and Ellen.

Since the death of his father our subject
has had complete charge of the business, and
has displayed e.xcellent ability in its manage-
ment. He takes quite an active interest in
civic societies in Poughkeepsie, belonging to
the Knights of Pythias, the Order of Good
Fellows, and to the Fire Department. He



252



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



enjoys the esteem and confidence of all with
whom he comes in contact, and no doubt a
brill'ant future awaits him.



GEORGE W. LUMB. senior member of
the firm of George W. Lumb & Son,
proprietors of one of the most important in-
dustries of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess count}-,
was born in Yorkshire, England, September
1 6, 1837, and when about two years of age
was brought to Poughkeepsie by his parents,
Thomas and Elizabeth (Beaumont) Lumb, na-
tives of the same country. He is the eldest
in their family of three children, the others
being Levi and Elizabeth, the latter of whom
died in infancy. On his arrival in Poughkeep-
sie in 1839, the father secured employment in
the carpet factory of C. M. & G. P. Pelton,
but later opened a grocery store, which he
conducted until about two years 'before his
death. He held membership with the Con-
gregational Church, and in politics was first a
Whig, later a Republican.

Our subject spent his boyhood dajs in
Poughkeepsie, attending Mrs. \Vheeler's school
and the grammar schools, after which he
worked in the factory where his father was
employed. Later he entered the sash and
blind factory of William E. Beardsley, where
he learned his trade, and there remained
eleven years. For three years thereafter he
was employed as foreman in the John E.
Price Sash and Blind Factory, after which he
entered the service of the New York Central
Railroad Co., as fireman on an engine, first
running between Poughkeepsie and Albany,
afterward between Albany and New York.
In 1863 he entered the United States navy,
was stationed on the Grand Gulf, making
three trips to Aspinwall, and was in the block-
ading squadron at Galveston. The vessel
later acted as flag ship at New Orleans, in
which city our subject received an honorable
discharge.

On his return north, Mr. Lumb again en-
tered the employ of the Railroad Co., but at
the end of a year he and his brother Levi
started a sash and blind factory in Pough-
keepsie, at the corner of Dutchess avenue and
Water street, which for two years was op-
erated by horse power. They then removed
to the present factory of our subject, and ad-
mitted William T. Swart as a member of the
firm, it being known as Swart, Lumb &



Brother. This partnership was continued
until 1885, Mr. Lumb in that year buying out
his brother's interest, and his son Charles L.
becoming a member of the firm, which assumed
the name of Swart, Lumb & Son. Two years
later, however, Mr. Ssvart sold out, and the
name was changed to George W. Lumb &
Son. They do an e.\tensi\e business, and
well deserve the liberal patronage which is ac-
corded them. In i8g2 Mr. Lumb purchased
the old Vassar House property, where he
erected a four-story brick building for Mrs.
Brazier's knitting mill, which was then con-
ducted by himself, his son, C. W. H. Arnold
and Miles Hughes. Mr. Lumb is not now con-
nected with this industry, and has rented the
building. Our subject is connected with sev-
eral of the leading indu.stries of the city, being
a stockholder in the new piano factory and the
electric-light plant, and also owns about fifty-
three houses and forty vacant lots in the city.

In Poughkeepsie George W. Lumb and
Sarah W. Dean, a native of Taunton, Mass.,
were united in marriage, and to them have
been born four children, namely: Charles L. ;
Jessie B., for whom her father has named a
boat; George J., a graduate of 'ooth the high
school and Eastman Business College; and
Maud D. In his political principles Mr. Lumb
is an unswerving Republican, devoted to the
best interests of his party, yet has never soughi
or desired political preferment, having only
served on the water board for one term, So-
cially he is a member of the F. & A. M., Lodge
No. 266, and in religious faith he is a Congre-
gationalist. The family now live at No. 16
Davis place, which residence our subject pur-
chased of Mayor Harloe.

Charles L. Lumb, the eldest son of our
subject, is a native of Poughkeepsie, where he
secured his education, being a graduate of the
high school, and in 1880 he received a diploma
from Eastman Business College. After work-
ing in the factory of his father for five jears
he was admitted to partnership, and is now
general manager of the business, doing all of
the office work. He is also secretary of the
Fallkill Knitting Co., and is a director of the
Reimer Piano F'actory. On October 2, 1S89,
in Poughkeepsie, he was united in marriage
with Minnie E. Lovejoy, daughter of J. Fred
LoN'ejoy, and a daughter graces their union,
Ethel Dean, born July 11, 1893. Mr. Lumb
is a stockholder in the Electric Light Co., in
the Masonic Temple and other enterprises. In




9^ ,_ // ^ J(Zui^7.-^l^^f



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



253



religious belief he is an Episcopalian, holding
membership with Holy Comforter Church; so-
cially he af^liates with the F. & A. M., Triune
Lodge No. 782, with Poughkeepsie Chapter,
Commandery and Council, the Mystic Shrine,
and the Royal Arcanum, and is a prominent
member of the Lincoln League Club. He is
secretary and treasurer of the Poughkeepsie
Branch of the New York Mutual Savings & Loan
Association, also of the Mason Mutual Benefit
Association, of Massachusetts, and is now presi-
dent of the Poughkeepsie Horse Owners Associ-
ation. A gentleman of fine address and thor-
ough culture, he occupies a first place in
society as well as in the commercial circles of
Poughkeepsie. Since January, 1895, he has
served as president of the water board, and
since 1891 has been notary public.



JILLIAM ADRLANCE, for over thirty
L years one of the most prominent and
highly respected citizens of Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, and a member of an old and
much esteemed family of that locality, was
born December 12, 1814, in what was then
the village of Poughkeepsie.

Theodorus Adriance, his grandfather, was
probably a native of Dutchess county, and was
a successful farmer, owning a large tract of
land near Stormville. He was one of the
early members of the Hopewell Reformed
Dutch Church, and was a leader in the vari-
ous local movements of his day. He married
Miss Hacheliah Swartout, and had si.x children,
of whom we have mention of : Elizabeth,
who married a Mr. Doughty; Caroline, who
married a Mr. Wilson; Theodorus, Jr.; and
Charles Piatt, our subject's father.

Charles Piatt Adriance was born in Hope-
well October 12, 1790, and received his first
instruction in the district schools there. When
he was ten years old he went to Poughkeepsie,
to the home of his sister, Mrs. Abram Storm,
and he and John Adriance were apprentices
together in the shop of Abram G. Storm, a
silversmith, learning the mysteries of jewelry
making, watch repairing, and all other branches
of the trade. On beginning business for him-
self, he followed the trade for a short time in
Poughkeepsie, but in 18 16 he went to Rich-
mond, Va., where he found a more profitable
field for his efforts in that line. There he
remained until August, 1832, when he returned
to Poughkeepsie and bought a farm on what is



now known as College Hill, comprising eighty
acres of land, where he followed agriculture for
more than thirty years. Although he never took
an active part in politics, he was an interested
observer of current events, and in early life
was in principle a Henry Clay Whig, later a
Republican. In all local movements he was a
leading worker, especially in religious move-
ments. He was a member of the First and
Second Reformed Dutch Churches when
formed, and was one of the organizers of the
latter, and an elder until the time of his death.
In 1864 he removed to the corner of Mill and
Garden streets, Poughkeepsie, where he died
November 25, 1874. On June 13, 181 3, he
was married to Miss Sarah Camp, a daughter
of Aaron Camp, a well-known resident of
Rhinebeck. Together they spent over sixty
years of wedded life, and she survived him
but a short time, dying August 22, 1877. Six
children were born to them, as follows: Will-
iam is our subject; Thomas Edward died
February 18, 1832; Mary Frances (Mrs. John
R. Weeks, of Newark, N. J.j died April 2,
1880; Elizabeth (Mrs. John B. Pudney, of
Passaic, N. J.); Harriet Newell, born January
II, 1830, died February 20, 1832; and John
Rice, born February 11, 1833, died December
30, 1843. Of these, Mrs. Elizabeth Pudney
is now the only survivor.

William Adriance, our subject, received a
good education in youth, attending the sub-
scription schools of Richmond, Va., and later
studying for some time at Amherst, Mass. He
has been a great reader, and has kept well
abreast of the times. On leaving school he
became a clerk in his father's store, and after
a time went to New York City, where he re-
mained two years. In November 1835, he
engaged in the jewelry business in Natchez,
Miss. , carrying same on successfully for seven
years. In May, 1843, he went to St. Louis,
and opened a dry -goods store, making a success
of the venture. In 1864 he disposed of it,
and in May of that year moved to Poughkeep-
sie. where he has since lived a retired life. On
July 26, 1837, Mr. Adriance was married to
Miss Mary Elizabeth Harrington, whose father
was a prominent resident of New York. Nine
children were born of this union, as follows:
Cornelia Hyde, born May 30, 1838, died De-
cember . 14, 1847; James Edward, born June
I, 1840, died January 6, 1849; Charles Henry,
born October 8, 1S42, died in March, 1S69;
and William Nevins, born July 26, 184S, died



254



COMMEMORATIVE BIOQRAPHICAL RECORD.



July 19, 1849. Of the others, Edward Cor-
nelius, born June 23, 1850, is a dry-goods mer-
chant in Brooklyn; Samuel Winchester, Janu-
ary 9, 1853, is a Congregational minister at
Winchester. Mass. ; Mary Elizabeth, born De-
cember 2, 1855, married Elias G. Minard; and
the youngest, John Rice, born February 13,
1858, died March 6. 1858. The mother of
this family died August 2, i860, and Septem-
ber 17, 1862, Mr. .\driance married Miss Abbie
Lovell Bond, of Norwich, Conn., daughter of
Rev. Ur. Alvan Bond. Mr. .^driance died of
heart disease January 2, 1897, after three days'
illness.

Politically, our subject was in early years
an Old-line W'hig, but in 1856 he espoused the
principles of the Republican party, to which
he afterward adhered. He was no political
" wire-puller, " but always gave his influence
to secure the election of good men for posi-
tions of trust. He was a leading member of
the Presbyterian Church of Poughkeepsie (Rev.
Dr. Wheeler, pastor), and was a strong sup-
porter of many important movements for the
benefit of the community.



JAMES M. HADDEN, president of the
Poughkeepsie Gas Company, and one of

the leading citizens of that enterprising city,
to which he came twenty years ago as an as-
sistant engineer, is descended from a sturdy,
industrious, intelligent ancestry to which his
own career does credit.

The" first of the family in this country, of
whom there is any knowledge, was Ephraim
Hadden, who died at Woodbridge, N. J., Jan-
uar}- 15, 1725. One of his children, and the
one from whom James H. descended, was
Thomas Hadden ( i) a carpenter and farmer by
occupation. He was appointed many times to
attend and represent Woodbridge at the Ouar-
terly Meetings of the Quakers held at Shrews-
bury; also as a member of various boards, be-
ing the medium by which all disputes were set-
tled. His second wife was an Episcopalian,
and for this marriage he was disowned by the
Quakers. When the Episcopal Church of
Woodbridge received its charter from George
HI in 1769, Thomas Hadden was named as
one of the vestrymen. He served as overseer
of the poor, 1733-36; as a surveyor of high-
ways, 1736-39; again as overseer of the poor
in 1 742-1 75 5, and 1770. He was married
three times, having issue only by the first mar-



riage to Margaret Fitz-Randolph in 1727, one
of whom, Thomas (2), was the great-grandfa-
ther of James M. He was born at the old
homestead in Woodbridge in 1736, of which
upon reaching his majority he became the pos-
sessor; married in 1758 Annabel Crowell. He
was by occupation a carpenter, farmer and mill-
wright. In 1755 he was captain of the first
regiment of Middlesex county militia under
Col. Nathaniel Heard; became first major of
the regiment, and in 1778 lieutenant-colonel.
The militia of New Jersey performed good serv-
ice at Trenton, Princeton, Germantown and
Monmouth, in all of which it is probable the
men of Monmouth took part. Thomas Hadden

(2) died in 1788 while in commission, and his
wife in 1 82 1. Of their children, Nathaniel
Hadden, the grandfather of our subject, was
born in Woodbridge, N. J., January 8, 1765,
and became a prominent ship-builder and lum-
ber dealer. He was a quiet man, of upright
life and strong religious convictions, and for
many years was an elder in the Presbyterian
Church, his honorable and consistent life win-
ning for him the esteem of the entire commu-
nity. He was three times married: first time,
in 1788, to Mahala Martin, to which union
three children were born: (i) Annabel, born
October 9, 1789, died August 5, 1872, was
married three times, first to John Hampton,
second to William Ford, and last to Abram
Webb; (2) Nancy, born August 15, 1798, died
January 10, 1878, married Smith Martin; and

(3) Ephraim, born September 28, 1806, died
January 12, 1842. The mother of this family,
born May 20, 1767, died Nov. 19, 1807, and
for his second wife, .August 13, 1808, he wedded
Sarah Marsh Brown, born March 6, 1776; of
this union came Samuel Brown, our subject's
father, born June 29, 1809. Sarah Marsh
Brown Hadden died on November 23, 18 14,
and on July 13, 1819, Mr. Hadden was mar-
ried to .Mary Halsey Marsh, born March 26,
1769, and died December 6, 1828.

Samuel Brown Hadden remained at his
birthplace, Rahway, N. J., until 1845, and
during this time was engaged in ship building
with his father. He purchased a farm of 100
acres in the outskirts of Elizabeth, N. J., where
the suburban town of Linden now stands, and
by subsetiuent additions became the owner of
200 acres there. He was a practical, thorough-
going farmer, unusually successful in business,
and one of the leading citizens of the locality.
Although his manner was quiet and retiring,



COMMEMORATIVE BIOQEAPHICAL RECORD.



255



he possessed a strong character, ;ind was a
man of firm purpose. On May, 12, 1833, he
was married to ^Iiss Phcebe Woodruff W'inans,
born February 20, 1814, and of their nine
children seven lived to maturity, of whom
James M. Hadden is the youngest. The
mother of the latter died February 16, 1882,
and the father on May 28, 1892.

James M. Hadden, the subject proper of
this review, received his early education at
Elizabeth, X. J., where he attended a private
school conducted by |ohn Young. At the age
of seventeen he left school, but he has ever
taken a deep interest in literature and science,
and by reading has acquired a fund of informa-
tion. His first employment was as a clerk for
Jeremiah Lambert in the Greenwich block.
New York City ; but at the end of two years
he returned home on account of ill health.
After a short vacation he became bookkeeper
for the Seymour Manufacturing Company, at
Elizabeth, X. J., remaining with them seven
years. On April 13, 1875, he went to Pough-
keepsie as assistant engineer for George W.
Harris (a relative by marriage) in the Citizens
Gas Company, and worked in that capacity for
two years, when he became chief engineer.
On the consolidation of the business with that
of the Poughkeepsie Gas Company in Decem-
ber, 18S7, he was made superintendent of the
works, and in i8gi was elected president of the
company, a position which he has filled with
distinguished ability.

On April 30, 1879, Mr. Hadden was mar-
ried to Miss Mary McAdam Hay, who was born
July 8, 1852, in Ayrshire, Scotland — about
nine miles from the home of Robert Burns.
She is a daughter of William and Elizabeth
(McKinley) Hay, and granddaughter of Mary
(Anderson) McKinley, who was an acquaint-
ance of the poet and familiar with many of the
circumstances which inspired his writings. .A
great-uncle of Mrs. Hadden was the subject of
one poem. A great-great-uncle was the invent-
or of the MacAdam pavement, for which valua-
ble service he was titled by the English govern-
ment. Mrs. Hadden is. through her mother,
a niece of William McKinley, of Elizabeth,
X. J., and a distant relative of President Mc-
Kinley. Two daughters and one son gladden
the home of our subject: Elizabeth G., Helen
S. and William McKinley Hay.

Mr. Hadden and his wife are members of
the First Reformed Church, in which he is a
leadinsr official. He is a Mason, a member of



Triune Lodge Xo. 782. In local matters he
lends his assistance to all worthy measures and
movements. He is not a politician in the
strict sense, but he is a strong supporter of the
Republican part}'.



FRANK LATSON, D. D. S., a leading
_ dentist of Rhinebeck, Dutchess county,
was born in that township, August 26, 1853,
his family having been residents of that local-
ity for four generations.

Dr. Latson's ancestors were French Hugue-
nots, who were among the early settlers of this
region, and his grandfather, Peter Latson, a
native of Rhinebeck, was a prosperous carpen-
ter there. He married Betsey Hannaburgh,
and had nine children: Henry; William, a
dentist in New York; James, a carpenter;
Regina, who married Stephen H. Powers, of
Brooklyn; Margaret, the wife of Philip Van-
Steenburgh, of Red Hook; Rachel; Amanda;
Maria; and Matilda.

Henr)' Latson, our subject's father, was
born in the town of Rhinebeck in 18 14, and,
after learning the carpenter's trade, engaged in
the business of contracting and building, which
he carried on successfully for about fifty years.
He was a self-educated man, possessed great
natural ability, at the same time displaying
marked originality of thought and keen analyt-
ical powers. He was his own architect, and
the many structures designed and erected by
him give evidence of fine artistic taste. His
business was extensive, four-fifths of the build-
ings constructed in Rhinebeck and vicinity,
during his active life, being his work. The
beautiful interior of the M. E. church was de-
signed by him, and was but one proof of his
devotion to the welfare of that society, of which
he was a member and an official for many 3-ears.
He was not active in politics, although he was
an ardent Republican in principle, and fre-
quentlj' served as trustee of the village. He
married Maria Teal, daughter of Peter W.
Teal, a well-known resident of the town of
Stanford, and had three children, of whom our
subject was the youngest. John is a physician,
and Norman L. died at the age of twenty-nine
years. The father died May 19, 1885; the
mother, now at the age of seventy-eight, re-
sides with our subject.

Dr. Latson was educated at De Garmo
Classical Institute, and later took a course in
the New York College of Pharmacy. In 1878



256



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



he entered the New York College of Dentistry,
from which he was graduated in 1880. He
located in his native place, where he has built
up an extensive practice, and ranks among the
most successful men of the town. He was
married in 1886 to Miss Bertha Bradley, of
New York City, daughter of Perry Bradley,
and a descendant of one of the old families of
Kinderhook. They have two children: Lillian
Kirkland and Frank Waldo. Politically, the
Doctor is a Republican, but he is not a party
worker. He is, however, greatly interested in
local improvements, and is a member of the
village board of trustees and the local fire
department.



BENJAMIN MALTBY FOWLER, a promi-
nent attorney of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess

county, was born at Durham, Conn., April
27, 1854. He comes of pure New England
stock.

William Fowler, of whom he is a direct
lineal descendant, arrived at Boston from
England in 1637, with Rev. John Davenport.
He was one of the prominent founders and
officials of the New Haven Colony, which was
afterward anne.xed to and became a part of
Connecticut. Many of the early ancestors of
Mr. Fowler (the subject of this sketch), took
an important and conspicuous part in public
affairs in the early days of the colonies; one of
the most prominent among them being John
Read, who was Oueen's attorney for the
Colony of Connecticut in 171 2, and later
attorney-general of Massachusetts for several
years, and also a member of the Governor and
Council. Robert Treat Paine, one of the
Signers of the Declaration of Independence,
was a member of the family from which he
also traces descent.

Jonathan C. Fowler, his grandfather, was
a highly-respected resident of Northford, Conn.
He married Eliza Maltby, a descendant of a
large and iniluential family of that name in
Connecticut.

Dr. Benjamin M. Fowler, our subject's
father, was born at Northford, Conn., in 1821.
After practicing his profession for awhile at
Durham, Conn., he in 1856 moved to Pough-
keepsie, where he died two years later (Sep-
tember 8, 185S) full of promise and greatly
beloved and respected by a large circle of
acquaintances, which he had formed in the
short time that he resided there. On Sep-



tember II, 1850, he married Mary Payne,
whose ancestors were among the early settlers
of America. Three children came of this mar-
riage : William S., born May 31, 1852, died
February 7, 1871; Benjamin M., our subject;
and Harriet J., born March 16, 1856, married
Julius Maltby, of Waterbury, Conn. Thomas
Payne, the father of Mary Payne, was a lead-
ing resident of Amenia. Dr. John C. Payne,
her brother, has been for many years a leading
physician in Poughkeepsie. Although the
Paynes early settled in Amenia, Dutchess
county, yet they also came from New England.
Thomas Payne (or Paine, as the name was
then spelled), the first one of that branch of
the family to arrive in America, landed at
Plymouth in 1621, having emigrated from the
County of Kent, England. Most of his descend-
ants settled in Connecticut.

Thomas Payne, grandfather of our subject,
married Sarah Bartlett. The Bartletts were a
distinguished family of Redding, Conn., but
many members of which settled in Amenia.
Daniel C. Bartlett, the father of Sarah Bart-
lett, was a valiant soldier of the Revolutionary
war; her grandfather. Rev. Nathaniel Bart-
lett, second pastorof theCongregational Church
in Redding, Conn., served as such for fifty-
seven years — the longest pastorate, it is said,
known to the New England Churches. He
was an ardent supporter of the Revolutionary



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 50 of 183)