J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 53 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 53 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and a most respected and useful citizen of that
city, is a native of the town of Rochester, Ulster
Co., N. Y. His great-grandfather was a resi-
dent of Marbletown, Ulster county, he being
one of the leading farmers of his day. His
grandfather was a resident of the same place,
he also being a farmer, and he held several
public ofifices. To him and his wife, Susan
Christian, were born seven children, one of
whom, George Kelder, was the father of Simon
J., the subject of our sketch.

George Kelder was born in the town of
Rochester, Ulster Co., N. Y., January 15, 1840.
On October 9, 1861, he was married to Miss
Martha A. , daughter of Jacob and Nancy Roosa,
of the town of Rochester, Ulster county, and
they had one child, Simon J. The father was
a bright and capable young man, with a promis-
ing future, but whose life was taken at the early
age of twenty-four years — when but at the
threshold of his active career — he dying from
brain fever in 1864. His widow subsequently
married Edward L. Rymph, of Hyde Park,
Dutchess county, this State, of which place
she is still a resident.

Simon J. Kelder passed his earl}' boyhood
in Ulster county, and at the age of five years,
on his mother's re-marriage, went with her to
Hyde Park and there lived, making his home
with his parents until seventeen or eighteen
years of age, working on a farm; in the mean-
time he attended the common schools, and for
a period the seminary at New Paltz. He then
went to Poughkeepsie and engaged in the hat
and cap business, being located at No. 283
Main street, which business he continued to
follow some six years, when he disposed of it
and purchased the grocery business of J. Craft,



at No 521 Main street, in the same city. In
1894 he removed to No. 396, on the same
street, from which house his retail business is
done, and the wholesale department is at No.
391. Mr. Kelder began his business life at an
earl}' age. and with small means, but from an
humble beginning and in a limited way he has
steadily forged ahead until to-day he stands
among the foremost young business men of
Poughkeepsie. He is one of the self-made
men of our times, and by close application to
business, coupled with wise judgment and busi-
ness tact, he, though yet a young man, has
made for himself a position m business circles
of which he may well be proud. In politics
Mr. Kelder is a Republican, and has served in
several official relations. He is now one of
the aldermen of Poughkeepsie, serving from
the Sixth ward, to which office he was elected
in 1897. He takes an active interest in all
movements looking to the advancement of
morals and religion in the community; is a
member of Trinity M. E. Church, of Pough-
keepsie; also is identified with the K. of P.

On November 19, 1884, Mr. Kelder was
married to Miss Jennie S. Sutton, a daughter
of Henry and Louisa Sutton, of Newburg,
N. Y., and to the union were born: Florence;
George T., who died in the eighth year of his
age; Louisa; and Stanley M.. who died in his
infancy. Their home, one of the comfortable
ones of Poughkeepsie, is located on Hooker
avenue, designated as No. 5.



NICHOLAS HOFFMAN. Amongthe
many worthy citizens of German birth

who have made their fortunes in this State,
I and who ha\e been residents of Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, stood prominent the gentle-
man whose name opens this sketch, and who
left many friends to cherish kindly remem-
brances of him when death called him hence.

Paul Hoffman, the father of our subject,
was a native of Aschaffenburg, Bavaria, Ger-
many, and was a shoemaker by occupation.
He married, and had the following named
children: Nicholas, our subject; Frank. li\ing
in St. Helena, Cal. ; \'alentine, who died in
Poughkeepsie; Philip, who died in Norfolk,
Va. ; and Margarett and Caroline, who still
live in their native town in Germany.

Nicholas Hoffman was born at Aschaffen-
burg, Bavaria, Germany, February 28, 1832.
He received a limited education in his native



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD



269



land, and served a three-years' apprentice-
ship at the shoemaker's trade. In 185 i, when
nineteen years of age, he came to this country,
landing at New York City, where he worked
as a journeyman for a year, and then set up a
shop of his own, in a room in the tenement
house where he lived, on Third street, near
Avenue A. After a year and a half spent in
this way he left New York for Whiteport,
Ulster county, where he followed his trade for
the succeeding two years. He then purchased
a team, and was engaged in teaming some ten
years, at the end of which time he purchased
a canal boat and went to canaling for himself
on the D. &H. canal, continuing several years.

In 1866 he sold his canal boat and moved
to Kingston, and entered into partnership
with a Mr. Sturgis in the brewing business,
but soon afterward, owing to his illness, he
sold his interest to his partner, and in 1868
came to Poughkeepsie, where he purchased a
saloon at No. 403 Main street, remaining there
until 1872, when he purchased the building on
the corner of Main and Hamilton streets, built
by Philip Goldstein, and moved his saloon to
a part thereof in 1875. From 1875 until his
death Mr. Hoffman was proprietor of the
" Hoffman House," which is one of the finest
buildings of its kind in Poughkeepsie, and
which, under his judicious management, be-
came a very popular hotel. In 1878 he opened,
in connection with his other business, a shoe
store, which was conducted by his two sons,
Henry and Nicholas, until 1886, when he sold
the shoe business and opened his saloon in the
room where it had been, named it the " Hoff-
man House," by which name it is at present
known.

Mr. Hoffman was a man of considerable
business ability, possessed of excellent judg-
ment and great perseverance and enterprise.
He landed in this country among strangers, an
unsophisticated lad, with only ten cents in his
pocket, and totally unacquainted with the lan-
guage. He taught himself to speak, read and
write English, and became a generally well-
informed man in English literature, not only
became prosperous financially, but succeeded
in making friends among the best class of citi-
zens who appreciated his generous, whole-
souled nature, and admired his sterling quali-
ties. Among his business associates he had
the reputation of being careful, thrifty and
thoroughly honest, and in public matters he
was liberal and always ready to assist in any



way desired. A Democrat in politics, he was
not a partisan, and in local affairs was willing
to see the best men put in office regardless of
their party affiliations. In religious faith he
was a member of the German Catholic Church,
and prominent in its councils. His death oc-
curred August 28, 1877.

In 185 1, in New York City, Mr. Hoffman
was married to Elizabeth Kunney, daughter of
xAndrew and Margaretta Kunney, and who had
come to America on the same ship with him,
and seven children blessed their union, namely:
Frank and Katherine died in early childhood;
Caroline, at home; Henry and Nicholas (both
deceased); Katherine and Frank, both living at
home. The family are highly esteemed and
respected by all who know them.



MULFORD WHEELER, one of the act-
ive, prominent and enterprising agri-
culturists of the town of Pine Plains, Dutchess
county, was born April 27, 1840, in the town
of Amenia, that county, a son of B. Hampton
Wheeler, who was born in the town of North-
east, in 1 81 3. Eben Wheeler, paternal grand-
father of our subject, was born in 1750, also in
the town of Northeast, where he continued to
follow farming up to the time of his death,
which occurred about i860. The family was
first founded, however, in Connecticut by En-
glish emigrants, and the grandfather aided the
Colonies in their struggle for independence.
He wedded a Miss Conklin, and they became
the parents of ten children, namely: B. Hamp-
ton, Albert, Edmond E., Emeline, Harriet,
Betsy Ann, Julia, Cornelia, Mariette (Mrs.
Story) and Alma, wife of Robert Rowe.

The father of our subject was an e.xtensive
farmer and one of the leading citizens of the
town of Amenia, his place being located about
one mile south of the village of Amenia. He
was a strong man, of more than ordinary abil-
ity, possessed excellent business judgment and
great energy, and accumulated a handsome
property, having at one time three large farms
inthe town of Amenia, all the result of his own
enterprise and diligence. He took quite an
active part in political affairs, voting the Dem-
ocratic ticket and held several offices in the
locality, including that of assessor, which he
filled for several \'ears. He was prominently
connected with the Amenia Fair Association,
being its president for several years, and was
identified with everything that would promote



270



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



the welfare of his town or county. He mar-
ried Emeline Clark, daughter of Dugass Clark,
of the town of North»ast, and they became the
parents of five children: Mulford; Mrs. Sarah
Bartholomew; Elizabeth; Clark D. (of the
town of Northeast) and Collin, who died at the
age of ten years.

Mulford Wheeler acquired an excellent ed-
ucation in the Amenia Seminary, which at that
time was one of the first schools of the county,
and in later years he supplemented the knowl-
edge there acquired by extensive reading.
After the age of twelve he was able to attend
school only in the winter season, as his serv-
ices were needed upon the home farm, where
he remained until 1865. After operating one
of his father's farms in the town of Amenia for
some time, in March, 1871, he removed to his
present place in the town of Pine Plains, hav-
ing purchased it of the Eli Collin estate. It
comprises 309 acres of rich and arable land,
which he has converted into one of the best
farms of the township.

In January, 1867, Mr. Wheeler was mar-
ried to Miss Sarah F. Collin, who was born
June 24, 1847, ^ daughter of Eli Collin, who
was born February 23, 1805. Her great-great-
grandfather, John Collin, was born in France
in 1706, and on coming to the New World
located at Milford, New Haven Co., Conn.,
where his son, Daniel Collin, was born Febru-
ary 19, 1734. The latter became the father
of James Collin, the grandfather of Mrs.
Wheeler, who was born April 15, 1777. He
was a large land owner of Dutchess county,
having at one time about 1,000 acres, and the
family was one of the most prominent in the
county. Eli Collin was born in the town of
Northeast, where he continued to make his
home until 1828, when he removed to the
farm now owned by our subject, and was one
of the most successful agriculturists of the
locality. On February 20, 1830, he married
Betsy Finch, and they had nine children:
Almira, Julia, James and William, all now de-
ceased; Henry, living in the town of Northeast;
Lydia and Myra, both now deceased; Sarah,
wife of our subject; and Bryan, lixing in New
York City. Mr. Collin was originally a Whig
in politics, later becoming a Republican. He
died in 1861, his wife eight years later.

Mr. Wheeler has always been an ardent
Democrat in political sentiment, taking an
active part in local political matters, and was
elected to office before he had reached his



majority. He served as assessor for three
years, and was commissioner of highways in
the town of Amenia. Always public-spirited,
every worthy enterprise for the benefit of the
community receives his support, and he and
his wife attend and contribute liberally to the
Presbyterian Church, of which Mrs. Wheeler
is a member.



JAMES E. WAIl E, a well-known conduct-
or on the New York Central & Hudson

River railroad, and one of the most trusted
employes of the company, was born July 6,
1843, in 'he town of Unionvale, Dutchess
county, where his father, Joseph Waite, and
his grandfather, Joseph Waite, were also born.
The latter engaged in farming there, and mar-
ried a Miss Draper, by whom he had seven
children: Joseph, George, Patience, Mary,
Sarah, Katie .\. and \'alley.

Joseph Waite, the father of James E., was
a prominent citizen in his day. He acquired
a good practical education in the schools of his
native town, and then put his fine talent and
skill in mechanical work to good use as a car-
penter anil builder. In this business he was
regarded as an expert, and his work is to be
seen in many of the best houses of that region.
He built many of the substantial residences of
Dover Plains, including the one now occupied
by our subject. He was held in high esteem
by all classes and took great interest in town
afTairs, but he never aspired to political dis-
tinction and many times refused to become a
candidate for public office, although strongly
urged to do so. In earlv manhood he married
Miss Amelia Applebee, of the town of Wash-
ington, Dutchess county, and they had ten
children, of whom the followii>g five are now
recalled: John, who married Catherine \'an-
Wagenen; William, who married Louisa Ro-
zell; Charles, who married Susan J. Bortem;
Nehemiah (deceased); and James E.

The subject of our sketch availed himself
of the educational advantages to be found in
his native place, and then learned the carpen-
ter's trade with his father, for whom he worked
for some time. Finding the business uncon-
genial, he engaged in farming, but soon after-
ward began driving a stage, and continued this
business for sixteen years, when he entered
service on the Harlem railroad as a brakeman.
After eleven years he was promoted to con-
ductor, which position he has now held for



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



271



twelve years to the entire satisfaction of his
employers and the public. He is an active
worker in the Masonic fraternity, a member of
the Mutual Benefit Association, and of Lodge
No. 666, of Dover Plains, in which he has held
most of the offices. He has twice served as
junior warden, and is master at the present
time. He married Miss Carrie Rozell, who
was also a native of the town of Unionvale,
Dutchess county, where she received an ex-
cellent education. Two children were born to
them, neither of whom is now living: (i)
Clarence J. Waite was born in Unionvale, in
1863, and after acquiring a good education
there engaged in mercantile business at Pawl-
ing, Dutchess county. Later he entered the
service of the Harlem Railroad Co., and re-
mained until his death, which occurred De-
cember 30', 1890. In 1887 he was married to
Miss Kittie Brusie, daughter of Wesley Brusie,
a leading farmer of the town of Northeast, and
his wife Helen. One child blessed this union,
Clarice J. Waite, born March 14, 1891. (2)
Irving Waite, the second son of our subject,
was born in Unionvale in 1865, and attended
the district schools of that vicinity till death
terminated his bright and promising life at the
age of twelve years.

The Rozell family has been prominent in
Unionvale for many years. Albert Rozell,
Mrs. Waite's grandfather, was born and edu-
cated there and later became a leading farmer
of the town. He married Miss Betsy Horton,
of the same place, and had twelve children, of
whom only five are now known: Beekman,
Albro, James, Mary and Albert (Mrs. Waite's
father). Albert, like his father, was educated
in the common schools of the town, and then
engaged in farming. As a politician he wield-
ed great influence m town and county affairs,
and he held the office of sheriff for many years,
as well as various positions in his township.
He and his wife, Tamar Orton, reared a family
of eight children, all but one of whom mar-
ried. The names, with dates of birth and their
respective partners in matrimony, are as fol-
lows: Emma, 1837 — John Schafer; Henry,
1838 — Lizzie \'an Black; James, 1841 — Annie
Green; Carrie, 1843 — James Waite; Rhoda,
1845 — Rennselaer Lane; George, 1852, is not
married; Celia, 1854 — Elias Fleet; and Alice,
1856 — Benjamin Squires. The younger chil-
dren of our subject's grandfather Waite all
married and settled in Dutchess county.

George Waite was born in Unionvale,



Dutchess county, in 1789, and received a com-
mon-school education there. He then learned
the shoemaker's trade, at which he worked for
some thirty years, when he engaged in farm-
ing. He was a Democrat in politics, and held
numerous town offices, serving as justice of the
peace for a number of terms. He married
Miss Lucinda Bently, daughter of William
Bently, a farmer of Beekman, and his wife,
Susanna Spencer. Eight children were born
to George and Lucinda Waite: (i) Joseph died
in infancy. (2) George W. Waite was born
in 1812, in the town of Beekman. After his
school days were ended he learned the carpen-
ter's trade, at which he worked all his life.
He married Almira Van Wike, daughter of
Theo. \'an Wike, a farmer of Unionvale, and
had four children: Frank Waite married Mary
Hayte; Fred O. married Annie Frier; Corne-
lius married Ida Waite; and K-ate married
William Voce. (3) Neilson was born in the
town of Beekman in 18 16. and engaged in
farming, teaching and merchandising. He
married Miss Annie White and had two chil-
dren: Dwight and Emma J. (4) Cornwell
Waite was born in the town of Beekman in
1 8 1 8, and was educated in the common schools
of Unionvale. Early in life he engaged in
farming in that town, and continued until he
was thirty-five or forty years old, when he
moved to South Dover, purchasing the Harri-
son Sheldon farm, containing 160 acres of land,
where he has now resided for a number of
years. His first wife was Miss Silby Corn-
well, daughter of James and Cloey (Sherman)
Cornwell, farmers of the town of Beekman,
Dutchess county. By this marriage he had
one child, Harriet A., who married Mr. Ald-
ridge, of Pawling, and had three children:
Allie and Cornelia (who are not married), and
Morton (the latter dying in infancy). The
mother of this family died in 1850. Mr.
Waite afterward married Mrs. Hannah t Ward)
Sheldon, widow of Harrison Sheldon, of Do-
ver. They have had four children: Minnie
Waite, who was educated in the Poughkeepsie
Normal School, is not married. Henry C.
Waite, who was born in Dover town, and was
educated at Mt. Union (Ohio) College and at
Wilberham, Mass., graduating at the latter
place. He taught school for a few years, and
is now connected with the Erie railroad, in the
mail department, in New York City. He mar-
ried Addie Kingsbury, but has no children.
Irving P. was educated at Prangs, Dover



272



COyfMEMORATIVB BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Plains, and De Garmo Institute, at Rhinebeck.
He has always been engaged in farming, and
is not married. William A. was educated at
W'ilberham. Mass.. and at Mt. Union fOhio)
College. He taught school for a number of
years, and then took a clerical position at New
York with the Erie railroad; he is now en-
gaged in the express business in New York
City. He married Anna Davis, and has two
children: Stewart D. and Eleanor. (51 Helen
is not married. 6/ Harriet married Moses
VVaite, a carpenter of Dover, and had one
child, George S. White. (7) Catharine re-
mained unmarried. ('8) Sarah was born in
the town of Unionvale, and married Isaac D.
Tripp, a farmer and miller of that town. They
had no children.

Patience Waite, the third child of Joseph
Waite, Sr., was born in the town of Union-
vale, and married Richard Cornwell, a farmer
of the town of Beekman. They had one son,
Joseph Cornwall, who died at an early age.

Mary Waite, also a native of the town of
Unionvale, married Baria Austin, a farmer of
that town. They had three children: Aaron
B., who married Julia Lane; Sarah, Mrs.
David Amie, and Jane, Mrs. William W. Abel.

Sarah Waite married John Hall, a farmer
of Unionvale. and had thirteen children: Piatt,
De Peyster, Jay, Katie fwho married David
Hawerj. Polly, Phrebe Twho married Henry P.
Amie», Ellen, Jane, Mary, and four others,
whose names are not known.

Katie A. married William McDowel, a
farmer of the town of Warrington, Dutchess
county, and had two children: Joseph ''who
married Miss Van Wageneu; and Katie Ann.

V'alley Waite married William Hall, a
farmer. He was a cripple, but filled a promi-
nent place in the community, and during the
greater part of his life was collector of the town
of Unionvale. They had two children, Joseph
and George.



UNDI-IRHII^L BUDD, the subject of our
sketch, one of the most progressive and
intelligent agriculturists of the town of Wap-
pinger. Dutchess county, is a descendant of
one of the oldest Colonial families in this coun-
try. He is the seventh son of Elijah Budd. a
prominent farmer of Dutchess county in his
day. Elijah fiudd was born in the year 1781,
on the same day that Lord Cornwallis surren-
dered his army to Gen. Washington at York-



town, at the close of the Revolution. Elijah's
father, Gilbert, came from Westchester county,
and settled in the Highlands, north of Cold
Spring. From there he came to Fishkill, and
purchased a farm just west of the village on the
old post road, known as the Old Budd home-
stead, and owned at the present time by Fred-
erick Haight. Here Elijah was born. After
the death of his father, Elijah came into pos-
session of the farm. In 1S06 Elijah married
Abigail Sebring, daughter of Isaac Sebring, an
e.xtensive and prosperous farmer of Dutchess
county. Isaac Sebring married, December 31,
1776, Catherine Van Benschoten, a daughter
of Tunis Van Benschoten, of New Hackensack,
Dutchess county. Isaac Sebring died in his
seventy-eighth year, his wife, Catherine ("Van-
Benschoten) in her seventy-seventh year.
Tunis Van Benschoten died in his eighty-first
year, his wife, Annie ( Sleight j, in her ninety-
first year. Elijah Budd sold the old home-
stead, and bought a farm of John Brincker-
hodd. on the Hudson, now Low Point, and
moved there in the year 1822.

On this farm Underbill Budd was born
August 3. 1823. On October 12, 1852. Mr.
Budd married a daughter of Matthew I. Snook,
whose ancestors emigrated from Holland in
the early part of the seventeenth century.
His father was in the American army through
the Revolutionary war. .A.fter his marriage
Mr. Budd went west to the State of Illinois, to
look after the estate of a deceased brother who
left a large landed estate, and lived there three
years. Mr. Budd became a member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church at the age of six-
teen years, and while in Illinois he received a
license as a local preacher, and was associated
with a regular Conference preacher, on the
Sabbath preaching sometimes twice, and riding
from ten to twenty miles. He has sustained
his relations to the Church for forty years, and
has been a member thereof some fifty-six years.
During that period he has filled almost every
position of trust in the Church, and has never
received or solicited any compensation for his
labor whatever, giving his time and labor
freely for the cause of Christianity, and also
paying liberally toward the support of the
Church. At the end of three years he returned
to Dutchess county, and took charge of his
father's farm. His elder brothers having all
left home, he felt it his duty to look after
them during the period of fifteen years in the
faithful discharge of his duty. His mother




oil 71 UjhaJUuX B^L^e(^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOQRAPHWAL RECORD.



273



died in the year 1866 at the age of eighty-one
years. His father lived until 1S69, and died
in the eighty-ninth year of his age. Mr. Budd
stayed on the farm until the estate was sold
and settled up, and then, in 1875, moved to
the farm of his father-in-law, who died in that
same year in the eightieth year of his age.
On this farm Mr. Budd still lives, and although
in his seventy-fourth year he is active, both
physically and mentally. Mr. Budd lays his
activity to the fact that he has always abstained
from the use of tobacco and spirituous liquors
in any form. Mr. and Mrs. Budd have two
sons: Prof. I. S., a graduate of the New
England Conservatory of Music at Boston, and
is now residing in the city of Newburgh, en-
gaged in the profession of music; and Matthew
V. B. Budd, who owns a farm adjoining his
father, and is living at home at the present
time.

Sketch of English History of Budd
Family. — Baron Gene Budd, a great soldier
and commanding officer under Charles the
Great, who established the great empire.
Charles gave him a large body of land on the
coast of what is called Normandy. Here he
ruled like a freeman, and he and his descend-
ants were in many battles. They were called
French when the Normans invaded that part
of France, and they fought till they were over-



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 53 of 183)