J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 54 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 54 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


come and slain, only a few men left, and their
land taken by the conquerors. Some scattered ;
but William Budd remained and worked on
the seashore, at a place called Rye. His
sons and grandsons were in time allowed their
land, and they became soldiers. Here William
the Great came when his barons wished to
slay him; but Richard Budd gathered his men
and protected him till the Duke, through his
assistance, was able to check the insurgents
and bring them to a better understanding.
During the Norman Conquest three sons of
William Budd crossed over to England, and
are supposed to have named the town of Rye,
County of Sussex, England, leaving men there
for certain occasions. The father of Richard
settled back in Normandy, and inherited his
father's feudal rights.

The Duke rewarded Richard Budd by giv-
ing him greater possessions. His son John
inherited them, and when Edward of England
died he was the first to muster his knights and
soldiers and land at Rye, England, to defend
the claim of William of Normandy to the
throne of England, and in the great battle

18



which took place it is claimed by our ancestors
that his valor turned the tide of battle, in
which the Saxons were defeated. After this
battle William the Great was made king of
England. John Budd married a sister of Will-
iam the Great, and was made Earl of Sussex.
John Budd and his descendants built up Rye,
but the town and all the records were burnt in
the wars which followed. They held positions
of soldiers and knights. They married in the
Nevils, Brownes, and Montagues, and during
the war of the Red a^d White Roses many of
them were slain with the brave Earl and Lord
Montague, their cousins, who fell at Barnet
with axe and sword in hand after piling heaps
of slain around them. Edward the Fourth
having secured the crown, the descendants of
the Nevils, Budds and Brownes found no favor
with him or his reigning heirs, and many of
their large estates were confiscated.

John Budd resolved to find freedom in
America, and made the first settlement in Rye,
Westchester county. It was on the past re-
nowned history of the Budd family in France
that Joseph Bonaparte, Count Survillers, ex-
King of Spain, while visiting Col. John Budd,
at Budds Lake, Morris Co., N. J., claimed the
aged sire to be of high French blood, and
everything went along smooth enough with
them until Joseph's daughter happened to find
a picture of Napoleon on horseback, being led
by the Russian bear, which had been placed
in some room unknowingly to the Colonel.
The Countess brought the picture to her father,
in tears, and Joseph, finding the Colonel in the
dining-room, threw the picture at his head,
and soon the blood was high on both sides,
Bonaparte claiming the Colonel a traitor to his
great French ancestors, and the Colonel claim-
ing Joseph to be a coward by deserting his
brother Napoleon in his great trial; and that
he knew nothing of the picture, it having been
placed in the room by some summer visitor
who had recently left. The hot blood did not
abate in the quarrel, and the Colonel ordered
Joseph Bonaparte to leave the house and
premises without delay, which he did and re-
turned to Bordentown, never to visit the lake
again.

Prominent Members of the Budd Fami-
ly IN the early History of the Country.
Thomas Budd was blown up in the "Ran-
dolph," while engaging a British frigate during
the Revolutionary war. John Budd, the first
son of Daniel Budd, was born April 5, 1762, in



274



COMMEMOSA TIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



the town of Chester, and at the age of sixteen
years entered the Continental service under
George Washington. He had charge of a bat-
tery when the British were advancing on
Springfield, and kept the enemy in check un-
til the militia gathered in force, which was
about the time the " Red Coats" (as he called
them) made a charge on his guns. Seeing that
he could not save them, he ordered his horses
to be cut loose, and under their fire and shouts
of Yankee curses to halt, made good his re-
treat. The militia having gathered, the Brit-
ish got the worst of it, and the guns were re-
covered. At the battle of Monmouth he took
part on that hot day, and was made colonel.
Joseph Budd was a captain in the war of 1812,
commanding his company at Sandy Hook, N.
J., and other places of defense. Daniel Budd,
born July 27, 1722, was assessor of the township
of Roxiticus, N . J . , and a captain in the reserves
of the Revolutionary war. James Budd re-
sided in Burlington, and was a member of the
Colonial Assembly in 1668. He was drowned
in the Delaware at Burlington, N. J., in 1692.
Gilbert Budd was a surgeon in the British
navy for thirty years. He returned to this
country after the Revolutionary war, and lived
with his cousin. Col. Gilbert Budd, of Mamaro-
neck, N. Y. , till his death, which occurred in
1805, when he was aged eighty-five years.

American History of Budd Family From
1632. — John and Joseph Budd came to this
country in the year 1632. They arrived in
New Haven in 1639 as one of the first plant-
ers of that place [New Haven Col. Rec. , Vol.
1-7-425.] He removed to Southhold, L. I.,
from thereto Rye, Westchester Co., N. V., in
1 66 1. In 1663 John Budd was deputy from
Rye to the General Court of Connecticut. He
was the first proprietor of Apawquamus, or
Budd's Neck, purchased of the natives Sachem,
Shamrocke and other Indians. The original
conveyance is on the records of Westchester
county, dated November 8, 1661, and was so
large a grant of land that the other proprietors
of Rye were jealous, and thej- petitioned the
General Court assembled at Hartford (now
Connecticut) not to confirm; but John Budd's
influence was such that he retained his pur-
chase. He left sons, John and Joseph, and his
will dated October 13, 1669, bequeathed to
his 5on John all his portion of the mills on
Blind brook, and to Joseph all of Budd's Neck.
Joseph Budd's influence with the Crown ob-
tained a patent dated the 20th of February,



1695; but, owing to deficiencies in the bound-
ary line between New York and Connecticut,
the Courts refused to act on this patent, and
it was not until 1720 that it was confirmed
under the great seal of the Province of New
York. The patentees then yielded yearly to
the Governor, on the fast day of the Blessed
Virgin Mary, the annual rent of one pound
and nineteen shillings. This was under
George I.

Lieut. John Budd married Catherine
Browne, a descending relative of Sir Anthony
Browne, the founder of the Montague family
and Henry \' of England. Lieut. John Budd
left two sons, John and Joseph, and two
daughters, Judith and Jane. Lieut. John
Budd died 1670. [M. 3 Hartford, Vol. 1-425
contains his will.]

Joseph Budd, the second son of John Budd
(i). was known as Capt. Budd in 1700. He
was a prominent officer in 1701, and justice of
the peace from 1710 to 1716 and from 1720
to I 722. In 1720 he obtained a patent for the
tract purchased by his father known as Budd's
Neck. He died in 1722, and left children:
John, Joseph, Elisha, Underbill.

John Budd, son of Joseph, is mentioned in
the records of Rye, from 1720 to 1745. He
inherited the estate on Budd's Neck, which he
sold in 1745, mostly to Peter Jay. Gilbert
Budd, born in Westchester county, in 1736,
grandfather of Underbill Budd (subject of our
sketch), married Deborah Searls, born June
14, 1738; children: Underbill, Seeley, Elijah
(i), Mary P., William, Gilbert (i), John, Gil-
bert (2) and Elijah (2). Elijah Budd, father
of Underbill, married Abigail Sebring; chil-
dren: Isaac S. (died in his seventy-fourth
year). Van Benschoten (died in his eighty-
fourth year), John J., Jacob (died in his eighty-
fifth year), Tunis G., Matthew, Margaret
(died in her seventy-eighth year), Maria M.
(died in her seventy-sixth year). Underbill,
Amelia A. and Edward. The father, Elijah
Budd, died in his eighty-ninth year; the
mother, Abigail (Sebring), died in her eighty-
first year.

Prominent Members of the Family of
To-day. — James H. Budd, who was congress-
man, and is now Governor of California; Jo-
seph Budd, judge of Superior Court, Stockton,
Cal. ; Oliver H. Budd, who is now serving his
second term in the Legislature; Jtranes Bgdd; J''
president of the Agricultural College of Iowa;
W. H. Budd, lawyer, New York City; Will-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



275



iam Budd, lawyer and senator, Mt. Holly,
N. J. ; Joseph K. Budd, banker, St. Louis;
Dr. Henry Budd, Geneva, N. Y., and others.



HENRY B. BEVIER. The Bevier family
has been so long and so prominently

identified with the leading interests of this re-
gion that to be ignorant of its history "argues
one's self unknown." From the days of the
Huguenot pioneer, Louis Bevier, one of that
little company of exiles who came to America
in 1660, lo the present time, the bearers of
this name have been distinguished for the pos-
session of those qualities which constitute good
citizenship, and many have held positions of
honor in the public service.

Henry B. Bevier, our subject, is a well-
known druggist and apothecary of Matteawan,
Dutchess county, born August 31, 1857, at
Napanoch, N. Y., the son of Dr. Benjamin R.
Bevier and his wife, Ellen M. Bange. His
education was obtained at his native place, in
the public schools, and at the Van Vleck Sem-
inary. At an early age he entered the employ
of Alexander A. Taylor, a druggist at Summit,
N. J., and while there he passed the examina-
tion before the State Board of Pharmacy,
obtaining a license to follow his chosen calling.
Later he was employed as a clerk in Newark,
N. J., and other places; but in 1877 he went
to Matteawan, where he purchased the drug
store of Daniel Y. Bayley, which he has since
conducted. His business is now very ex-
tensive, and he is the proprietor of Bevier's
Expectorant and Bevier's Malaria Pills, reme-
dies whose effectiveness has given them an
immense sale, especially in the eastern and
middle States.

Like all of his family, he is public-spirited
and takes great interest in local progress. He
was elected coroner on the Republican ticket
in November, 1894, for a term of three years,
having a majority over his competitor of more
than 2,000 votes. As a member of the board
of education he has done much to maintain
the efficiency of the Matteawan schools. He
is a trustee of the Matteawan Savings Bank,
and a member of various social and fraternal
societies — the Matteawan Club, the F. &A. M.,
Beacon Lodge No. 2S3, Newburg Chapter, and
of the order of Foresters, " Court Oueen," of
Hudson.

On September 14, 1887, he was married to
Miss Kate Brown, a member of a leading fam-



ily of Matteawan, and daughter of the late
Monroe Brown and his wife, Mary Jones
Brown. They reside on the corner of Schenk
avenue and Ackerman street, and their pleas-
ant home is gladdened by two sons, Benjamin,
born in 1888, and Monroe, born in 1893. Mr.
and Mrs. Bevier attended the Presbyterian
Church, and are prompt to lend their sym-
pathy to any worthy cause.

Mr. Bevier is of the tenth generation in di-
rect descent from the Huguenot exile, and
Conrad Bevier, his great-grandfather, who/was
an officer in the Revolutionary army. ' Dr.
Benjamin R. Bevier, his grandfather, ohe of
the most prominent physicians of his day, was
born September 10, 1782, and died at Napa-
noch, New York, June 17, 1866. As a prac-
titioner, he was distinguished for the rapidity
and accuracy of his diagnoses in diffiqult cases,
his fidelity to his patients, and his genial man-
ner. The latter excellent quality both his son,
Dr. Benj. R. Bevier, Jr., and his grandson,
Henry B., inherit to a remarkable degree. He
traveled mostly on horseback, and may be
said to have lived nearly forty years in the
saddle. In a civil capacity, his life was full of
labors, and honors. He had a remarkably
sound judgment, abundant executive resources,
unflinching integrity, and correct and system-
atic business habits. When only thirty years
of age. Gov. D. D. Tompkins signalized his
respect and esteem for him by making 'nim one
of the judges of the Ulster county court, which
office he soon resigned, as it interfered too
much with his professional work. He was
twice a candidate for Congress in his district
at times when the Old "Whig party, with which
he was connected, was some 3,000 in the mi-
nority, and was defeated in one instance by
only one hundred and fifty, and in the other
by only six votes. He subsequently served
the county several terms in the State Legis-
lature, and was also supervisor of his town.

On February 5. 1807, he married Cathar-
ine E. Ten Eyck, and reared a family, among
whom was Dr. Benjamin R. Bevier, Jr., our
subject's father, who was born January 21,
1828, at Napanoch, and after completing his
literary studies at New Paltz Academy and the
Dutchess County Academy, studied medicine
in Poughkeepsie with Drs. Cooper and Hugh-
son, and later at the College of Physicians
and Surgeons in New York City, graduating in
1849. He has ever since followed his profes-
sion in his native town, and is still in active



276



CO.VMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



practice. He is a leading member of the Ul-
ster County Medical Society, and takes a
prominent share in local progress, having rep-
resented his town in the board of supervisors,
and served two terms as county coroner. On
June 12, 1850, he was married to Miss Ellen
M. Bange. and has had si.x children, of whom
two died in infancy. The surviving four are:
Mary B., the wife of Prof. Brainard G. Smith,
of Hamilton College; Henry B., the subject of
this sketch; Conrad B. , a licensed pharmacist,
now in his brother's employ; and Irene, who
is at home.

The maternal grandfather of our subject,
the late Frederick Bange, was born in Holland
in 1 80 1, and came to this country when he
was ten years old. Immediately after his ar-
rival he was apprenticed to Squire White, of
Hartford, Conn. He was afterward a clerk
for Mr. Solomon Porter, and while in his em-
ploy accumulated $1,000, with which he en-
gaged in the crockery business, importing his
goods from England. In time, he made a
large fortune, and then began a shipping busi-
ness between New London, Conn., and the
West Indies, sending out horses and mules,
exchanging them for sugar and molasses.
While in this business, he became involved
through the failure of those whom he had
assisted, and with that strict integrity that had
always characterized him, he paid every cent
of his indebtedness, and began a new financial
life as a poor man. In striving to obtain what
was due him from a sea captain who had de-
frauded him, he was obliged to go to Mexico,
and while there formed the plan of engaging
in the hide and wool trade. Assisted by friends
in New York, he fitted out a vessel, and later
several vessels, of which he became the owner.
Thus began a trade which has made many
fortunes. Mr. Bange regained his lost com-
petence in this trade, and then retired, buying
a country seat on the Passaic river at Newark,
N. J., where he resided for several years. He
was induced to buy the tannery at Lackawack,
Ulster county, N. Y. , and this was conducted
several years by his son Henry. Then he
purchased real estate and water power at
Napanoch, N. Y., upon portions of which
Forges were built, where railroad axles and
bar-iron were manufactured. He made the
iron for the Niagara and Ohio suspension
bridge. In 1852 he built the Napanoch Blast
Furnace, and opened the iron-mine, which he
operated for four or five years, but the iron



trade becoming much depressed he was obliged
to make an assignment for the benefit of his
creditors. The entire property was sold, and
he was left in his old age, after a life of unre-
mitting toil, with very little means. He was
one of the kindest, best and most unselfish of
men, always considerate in regard to the wel-
fare and happiness of his family and friends.
He was honest and upright in all his transac-
tions, and set an example in his life which all
would do well to imitate.



JOHN SCUTT, a prominent business man
and manufacturer of Millerton, Dutchess
" county, is a native of the county, born at
Pine Plains, February 21, 1821. His ances-
tors on the paternal side came from Germany
in the early p-rt of the last century, settling in
Columbia county, N. Y. , where his grandfa-
ther, John Scutt, and his father, William Scutt,
were born, the latter in the year 1777.

William Scutt, our subject's father, was a
farm laborer by occupation, and the greater
part of his life was spent in the towns of Pine
Plains, Northeast and Amenia, Dutchess coun-
ty. Always industrious, thrifty and steady in
his habits, he was held in great esteem by all
who knew him, and without being a member
of any Church he gave evidence in his daily
life of high morality. Politically he was a
Democrat. He married Hannah Strever, a
descendant of an old Holland-Dutch family, of
Columbia county. Fourteen children were
born to this union. The father died in 18S7,
in his ninety-first year, and the mother in April,
1840.

The subject of our sketch attended the
schools of Amenia during boyhood, acquiring
a good education for the time, and he devoted
to his studies the same energy which has made
his business career such a notable success,
while his subsequent reading has kept him well
informed on current topics. At the age of
nineteen he left school and began work on a
farm; but after four years of this, having de-
cided to learn the blacksmith's trade, he went
to Chenango county to work with John Tryon,
to whom he hired for one year at $4 per month.
In the following year, 1844, they formed a
partnership which lasted one year, when Mr.
Tryon moved to the West. A new firm was
then organized under the name of Moon, Dodge
& Scutt, Mr. Scutt paying fifty dollars and be-
coming an cc]ual partner. .-Mter three years



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



211



with this firm he moved to Chenanj^o Forks,
and formed an equal partnership with Myron
HoUister, remaining one year. In 1849 he
opened a shop of his own at Gallatinville, and
in the spring of 1854 moved to Northeast Cen-
ter, where he engaged in the same business for
two years. In September, 1856, he purchased
his present shop at Millerton, from Paine &
Fuller, and began the business of wagon-mak-
ing and blacksmithing, employing three wagon-
makers and five blacksmiths. In 1861 he built
a furnace for the manufacture of plows and
castings, and for general custom work, and as
this was the only furnace in the vicinity he
speedily secured a large trade. He bought the
patterns of the Eddy plow, of the " Rough and
Ready," in Washington county, and has since
manufactured and sold several in all parts of
the county. Success has attended all his en-
terprises, and he has won a high standing in
business circles.

In 1843, Mr. Scutt married Miss Julia Ann
Eddy, of the town of Pine Plains, and has had
six children: Charles, a prosperous young
painter of Millerton; Jane, who married Edgar
Drum; and four who have died — Melinda,
John R. , Adelbert and William — the latter
passing away in infancy. The mother died
April 8, 1890, and is buried at Pine Plains.
Mr. Scutt is one of the pioneer members of
the Republican party, voting that ticket in
1856, and has been an influential worker in
local affairs. He held the office of supervisor
in 1886, 1887 and 1890, has been justice of
the peace for thirty-two years, and has lately
been re-elected for another term. He became
a Freemason in 1858, and has taken great in-
terest in the work of the order, having held
every office in Webatuck Lodge, No. 480.



CHARLES S. VAN KLEECK. The Van-
_ Kleeck family originated in Holland, and
the first of the name to emigrate to this coun-
try was Baltus (the great-great-great-grandfa-
ther of our subject), who came to New York
City in the seventeenth century, locating on
the land whereon Trinity Church now stands.
It is not known in what year he came to Pough-
keepsie, but he built the first house in 1702,
and was the largest landholder in the country.
He represented the county in the i6th and
17th Colonial Assembly, and died in the
spring of 17 17. He had si.\ children: Barent;



Johannis, born in 1680; Lawrence, who died
in 1769; Peter, Sarah and Elizabeth.

Col. Barent Van Kleeck (who was a colonel
in the French and Indian wars) married An-
toinette Palmatier, and six children were born
to them: Baltus (born in 1707), Michael,
Ahazuerus, Peter, Catherine and Sarah. Peter
married Antoinette Frear, the daughter of a
French Huguenot, and their family comprised
eleven children: Barent, Simon, Antoinette,
Levi, Jeremiah, Henry, Peter P., Deborah,
Mary, Trientje and David. Three sons were
soldiers in the Revolutionary war, two of them
being killed in the battle and buried in unknown
graves. Barent, the father of these, bought
1,640 acres of land in the town of Lagrange.

Peter P. Van Kleeck, youngest child of this
branch of the family, was the grandfather of
our subject, and was born in the town of La-
grange August 21, 1757. He was the young-
est son, and when the other boys enlisted in
the army he remained at home to work the
farm and care for his aged parents. At that
time many farmers in the town were called on
to carry provisions to the troops, and he among
the rest was engaged in that occupation. On
one occasion he was sent with his load to Wash-
ington's headquarters at Newburg, and it be-
ing a severely cold day Gen. Washington came
out and invited him to go into the house and
get warm. He did so, and the General gave
him a glass of wine, after which they spent
nearly two hours together in conversation. He
afterward fought in the battle of White Plains
in the Revolution.

Peter P. Van Kleeck was married three
times. His first wife was Miss Meddaugh,
who bore him two children: Deborah and
Sarah; Sarah died. His second wife was
Emily Sabin, whose children were: John, Si-
mon and Syrena; for his third wife he married
Charlotte Sickles, of Albany, whose father,
John Sickles, was a captain in the Revolution-
ary war. Of this union four children were
born: Catherine, Levi, George and Andrew J.

Andrew Jackson Van Kleeck, the father of
our subject, was born May 22, 1829, on the
old homestead in the town of Lagrange, which
had been the birthplace of his father and grand-
father before him. When he was four years
old his parents removed to Poughkeepsie.
Here he lived until thirteen years of age when
he commenced sailing on the ocean. At the
age of eighteen he was fireman on the " Chris-
tian City," and when twenty-eight he became



278



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



engineer on the " Empire," a vessel plying be-
tween New York City and Albany. This oc-
cupation he followed until he was thirty years
of age, when he returned to Poughkeepsie and
worked at the mason's trade for ten years. He
then bought the homestead farm in Lagrange
town, and there remained the rest of his life.
When a boy he attended the old Dutchess
County Academy at Poughkeepsie, and vvas a
man of much intelligence, well posted in cur-
rent events. For nine years he was a member
of the volunteer fire department at Pough-
keepsie, and he was a member of the Mason's
Union. The old homestead farm was surveyed
in July, 1768, and the father of Andrew helped
to drive the stakes. This property, which
originally contained 1,640 acres, was later
divided up into four farms.

Andrew J. Van Kleek was married Novem-
ber 6, 185 1, when he was twenty-two years
old, to Abigail A. Alverson, and the following
children were born to them: Susie E., Edgar
(who died January 14, 1857), John P., Mary,
Gaius Andrew, Minnie (who died December
15, 1866), Charles Swift, and Katherine Ethel
(who died August 15, 1875). Of these, Susie
E. is the wife of Fred Mulcox; John P. mar-
ried Florence Teats, and they have three chil-
dren — Raymond, Clifton and Leola, only one
of whom is living.



MJ. LYNCH, florist, Poughkeepsie, Dutch-
ess county, is a native of Ireland, born

June 8, 1846, in county Limerick, and is a son
of Matthew and Margaret (Fitzgerald) Lynch.
They had a family of five children: John,
Patrick, Thomas, Bridget and M. J., all now
deceased e.xcept the last named. The father,
who was a gardener by occupation, died when
our subject was but six months old.

In 1847 or '48 the widowed mother came
to America, bringing her infant boy (M. J.)
with her; but two years later they returned to
Ireland, where he remained until he was eight-
een years old, attending school up to the age



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 54 of 183)