J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 60 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 60 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of Westchester county, N. Y. , by whom she had
four children: (1) William, born June 12,
1S53, died in infancy. (2) Annie S. married
Charles Irish, and they have two children —
Mary S. and Frederick. (3) Joseph D. , born
June 27, 1857, died March 6, 1893; became a
farmer; he married Jennie L. Jones, daughter
of Edward and Caroline Jones, and they had
one child — Edward H. Pierce. (4) Henry,
born in Pawling, June 7, 1S59. was educated
there, graduated at Cornell College, and be-
came a civil engineer; he is now in the employ
of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Co. ; he
married Miss Mary L. Hyatt, of Ithaca, and
they have no issue. The father of this family,
Joseph Pierce, Jr., died in November, 1858,
and his widow, seven years later, married our
subject.

Jedediah I. Wanzer, the subject proper of
this sketch, is a native of New Fairfield,
Conn., born May 13, 1829. He grew up on a
farm, and had such schooling as fell to the lot
of the average farmers' sons of that day. At
the age of twenty-one he joined a surveying
party as chain-bearer in making the survey for
the Danbury & Norwalk railroad. In this ca-
pacity he worked for two years, and in that
period prepared himself for the position of a
civil engineer, which for ten years he followed
as an occupation. In the spring of 1852 he
went west and engaged in surveying in Illinois
and Iowa, through the spring and summer,
and that fall he had charge of and completed
a division of the C. B. & O. R. R. , west of
Aurora, III., the work requiring one 3^ear; was
ne.xt engaged in similar work on the C. N. W.
R. R. , west of Dixon, III. In 1856 he re-
turned to Western, N. Y. , and, as assistant
engineer, superintended the widening of the
Erie canal, west of Albion, N. Y. On the
completion of this work in 1859, he again
went west, purchased a farm in Clinton coun-
ty, Iowa, on which he settled. In the winter



of 1864-65 he sold the farm and returned east
(to Knowlesville, N. Y.). Later he went to
Danbury. where he again engaged in survey-
ing, and in 1867 purchased the farm upon
which he now resides, and which comprises
300 acres of valuable land.

On May 6, 1858, Mr. Wanzer was married
to Miss Frances Arabella Sawyer, daughter of
John F. and Mary J. (Gilbert) Sawyer, both
natives of Vermont, the former born June 2,
1S02, and the latter on March 25, 1823.
John F. Sawyer had five brothers, who were
Baptist ministers. The Sawyers trace their
ancestry back to one Thomas Sawyer, who
was born in England in 161 5, and in 1639
came to America, settling in Lancaster, Mass.,
in 1647, in which \ear he married Mary
Houghton. His death occurred September
12, 1706. To our subject and wife were born:
Henry S. (at Lyons, Iowa), May 28, 1859,
who married Lillie Jones (they have two chil-
dren — Helen, born April iS, 1883, and Harry
Jay, born February 28, 1889); and Helen A.
born (at Lyons, Iowa) August 29, i860, died
June 16, 1885; she married Frank E. Cole,
May 25, 18S2. (They have two children:
Emery, born April 30, 18S3, and Esther W.,
born December 30, 1884). On February 2,

1865, Mrs. Wanzer died, and on May 14,

1866, Mr. Wanzer married (for his second
wife) Phcebe T. (Irish) Pierce, the widow of
Joseph Pierce, Jr.

Our subject is one of the substantial men
of the community; is the possessor of a fine
tract of land above referred to, and has a fine
home. In 1870. on the organization of the
Savings Bank at Pawling, he was one of the
original members, was made secretary of the
same, and served as such until 1888, when he
was made president, which position he now
sustains with the bank. In politics he was a
Republican through the Civil war; in 1872,
he voted for Horace Greeley, and has since
affiliated with the Democratic party.



NF,WTON HEHARD, cashier of the First
National Bank of Amenia, has for many

years been connected with the financial inter-
ests of that place. He is a native of Dutchess
county, born at Poughkeepsie, October 14,
1837, and is descended from Capt. Robert
Hebard, who was born in England in 1737,
at an early date becoming a resident of Dutch-
ess county, where he died May 17, 1798. He




jN^^Y^arJ^^ — .



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



305



married Miss Lydia , wlio was born in

1737, and died August 21, 1S19. They be-
came the parents of seven children: Reuben;
Benjamin, who was born April i, 1765, and
died April 24, 1837; Daniel, the grandfather of
the subject of this review; Robert, who died
May 24, 1S55, at the age of eighty years, ten
months and four days; Ruth, who died Janu-
ary 28, 1S08; Sarah; and Lydia, who died
January 6, 1788, at the age of eighteen years.

The birth of Daniel Hebard occurred June
I, 1766, and on reaching manhood he was
united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth, daugh-
ter of Capt. Colbe Chamberlain. She was
born June 25, 1769, and died August 27, 1796.
They had three children: Salina, who was
born April i, 1790, and died May 22, 1847;
Aurelia, who was born August 17, 1792, and
died June 27, 1858; and John J., the father of
our subject. After the death of his first wife,
Daniel Hebard married her sister, Letitia
Chamberlain, and they became the parents of
eight children: Frederick, born January 20,
1798, died February 13, 1799; Henry, born
October 16, iSoo, died October 20, 1885; Ed-
ward, born November 22, 1807, died Septem-
ber 28, 1880; Susan, born May 14, 1809, died
died January 10, 1810; Charles, born October
17, 1810, died December 15, 1845; Elias
Nixon, born January 14, 18 14, died August
17 of the same year; Frederick, born Septem-
ber 5, 1820, died May 21, 1896; and Susan,
born February 17, 1824, is the widow of Col.
Henry Rundall (deceased). The father of this
family died January 6, 1841.

John J. Hebard, the father of our subject,
was born in the town of Amenia, April 27,
1794, and during his boyhood days attended
school at Sharon, Conn. On November i,
1818, he was married to Miss Harriet E. De-
lano, who was born March 19, 1795, and died
September 5, 1857. Their family consisted
of si.x children, namely: Elizabeth, born July
23, 1820, died July 17, 1869; Jethro Delano,
born May 7, 1822, died February 21, 1864;
George, born May 8, 1824, died December 29,
1847; John, born July 14, 1827, died Februar.y
28, 1849; Harriet Salina, born January 21,
1 83 1, died April 29, 1881; and Newton, sub-
ject of this sketch, the only one now living.
By trade the father was a silversmith and
clockmaker, and was thus employed at Amenia
Union at the time of his marriage. Removing
to Poughkeepsie, he engaged in the same busi-
ness there for a time, later engaging in the
20



manufacture of soap, and then conducted a
store at that place. In 1862 he returned to
the town of Amenia, where his death occurred
in 1874, when he was aged eighty years. He
was a soldier in the war of 1812, under Capt.
Judson, New York State Militia.

The early school days of Newton Hebard
were passed at Williamsburg, N. Y. , and after
graduating from the academy in that city, he
clerked there in a store for four years. He was
engaged in farming near Newburgh, N. Y., for
the same length of time, after which he went to
Brooklyn, and clerked in a hat store for two
years, and then for two years and a half he was
in the real-estate office with G. W. Kelsey.
Coming to the village of Amenia in 1862, he was
employed in the store of C. M. Benjamin until
1865, when he started a private bank under
the firm name of N. Hebard & Co. In Febru-
ary, 1867, the bank was blown open and
robbed; but his good friends put him on his
feet again, and in the following fall the First
National Bank was purchased by the people of
Amenia. Mr. Hebard then closed out his
business to become clerk in that institution,
and four years later he was made cashier,
which important position he is still filling to the
satisfaction of all concerned.

In Amenia, on October 5, 1864, Mr. He-
bard was married to Miss Harriet E. Per Lee,
daughter of Walter P. Per Lee. In 1858 our
subject was initiated into the mysteries of the
Masonic Order, and now holds membership
with Amenia Lodge No. 672, F. & A. M. ; in
religious faith he is a membes of the Baptist
Church; politically he has always been an un-
compromising Republican on National issues,
although at local elections he votes for the
one he regards as best qualified for the office
to be filled. Personally he has no ambition
for political preferment. He is vigorous and
well-preserved, with a remarkable faculty for
the conduct and dispatch of business, and in
social as well as in business life stands de-
servedly high.



OLIVER WELDON BARNES, civil engi-
_ neer, is a well-known resident of the village
of Fishkill, Dutchess county, having settled
there in 1867 while he was engaged in the
construction of the Dutchess and Columbia
railroad, of which he was the chief engineer..
His ancestors came from England in the seven-
teenth century, settling in Boston, and later



306



COMMEMORATIVE BIOQRAPUIUAL RECORD.



generations resided in Marlboro, Mass., where
his father, Henry Barnes, was born in 1790.
His mother, Marilla (Weldon), was a native of
Connecticut, born in Hartford count}- in 1796.
In 1825 they moved to Philadelphia.

Our subject was born in the town of Ber-
lin, Hartford Co., Conn., May 15, 1823. and
his education was begun there in early life.
At sixteen years of age he was sent to Bur-
lington College. Burlington, N. J.,and he subse-
quently went to Europe to complete his engi-
neering studies. On his return, in April,
1847, he was appointed an assistant engineer
in the first corps sent out from Philadelphia to
survey the western division of the Pennsylvania
railroad, extending from the summit of the
Alleghany Mountains to Pittsburg. He be-
came the principal assistant engineer in charge
of the field parties, and made the final location
on the bold lines that distinguished that divi-
sion as the first engineering work on this conti-
nent at that time, and remained in charge of
his division until its construction was completed
in 1854. He was then appointed chief engi-
neer of the Pittsburg & Connellsville railroad,
extending from Pittsburg to Cumberland, now
the Pittsburg division of the Baltimore & Ohio
railroad, and remained on that work until
1857, when he took charge of the construction
of the last eighty-four miles of the Pittsburg,
Fort Wayne & Chicago railroad, and com-
pleted it to Chicago in December, 1858. He
then returned to Philadelphia, and built some
branch lines for the Pennsylvania railroad.
In 1866 he came to Dutchess county, surveyed,
located and constructed the Dutchess & Col-
umbia railroad, from Dutchess Junction to
Afillerton, fifty-eight miles in length, and sub-
sequently was chief engineer on the surveys
for the extension of the Boston, Hartford &
Erie railroad, from Waterbury, Conn., to Fish-
kill-on-Hudson, superintending the construc-
tion of the work near the River Terminal until
the suspension of operations consequent upon
the financial difficulties of that company in
1869. Leaving the service of the Boston,
Hartford cS: Erie Railroad Co., in 1S70, he be-
came the promoter and chief engineer of the
Connecticut Western Railroad Co., the sur-
veys and location of that line from Hartford to
the State Line of New York, near ^fillerton,
being made under his personal supervision, and
the work was subsequently constructed under
his charge in 1870 and 1871.

He then became the president and chief



engineer of the New York City Central Under-
ground Railroad Co., which was authorized
by a special charter to construct a line of
underground railwaj' for rapid transit through
the city of New York from City Hall Park to
the Harlem river. He prepared the surveys
and plans for the construction of the line; but
the political obstructions of the Tweed com-
bination rendered it impossible to secure the
capital for its construction at that time. In
1872 the control of the company was trans-
ferred to influential capitalists interested in the
proposed New York & Montreal Railroad Co.,
who were intending to use its corporate rights
for an entrance into the heart of the city, but
were compelled by the financial panic of 1873
to abandon the scheme; the enterprise re-
mained dormant until the Rapid Transit Com-
mission was appointed in 1891, when the plans
of the New York City Central Underground
Railroad Co. were presented to the commis-
sion by Oliver W. Barnes, who had again
been appointed the chief engineer of the com-
pan\'. These plans were favorably considered
by the commissioners, but they finally adopted
a more elaborate and enormously expensive
four-track system, so costly, in fact, that the
Supreme Court in May, 1896; refused to sanc-
tion its construction, and declared it contrary
to public policy for the City of New York to
undertake it. In 1882 Mr. Barnes was ap-
pointed chief engineer for the proposed South
Pennsylvania railroad, which William H.
Vanderbilt and his associates undertook to
construct as an extension of the Philadelphia
& Reading railroad system, from Harrisburg
to Pittsburg — a distance of 218 miles, through
the southern tier of counties. The line was lo-
cated on a bold direct route, which required
the construction of seven tunnels, each a mile
or more in length, and a large amount of other
heavy work; construction was commenced, and
the tunnels well advanced, when the Pennsyl-
vania Railroad Co. persuaded Mr. Vanderbilt
to abandon the completion of the line, and sell
the financial control of the enterprise to that
company. Litigation and opposition by the
people of the State of Pennsylvania prevented
the transfer of the property to the Pennsyl-
vania Railroad Co. for several years; but it is
now fully under its control and ownership, to
be completed when the policy of that company
requires it as a part of its system.

In 1884 Mr. Barnes was appointed the
chief engineer of the New York, Lake Erie &



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHWAL RECORD.



307



Western Railroad and Coal Co., and built a
line of railroad from the Erie railroad to the
company's coal lands in Elk and Jefferson
counties, Penn. It was a work of great en-
gineering difficulty for the most part in the
Alleghany Mountain range; on it was con-
structed the celebrated Kinzua Viaduct, a
steel structure 2,240 feet in length and 301
feet high. It has been a very successful line,
and now carries a very large tonnage from the
company's mines to its main line. On com-
pletion of this work Mr. Barnes became the
chief engineer of several other lines in Mary-
land and Virginia, which were prepared for
future construction; in 1885 he was appointed
a commissioner of the New Croton Aqueduct
and chairman of the Construction Committee.
This position he held until 1887, when polit-
ical changes caused a reorganisation of the
commission, and new men were appointed by
the mayor of the city of New York.

Mr. Barnes was chosen, in the same year,
as Chief Engineer of the New York & Long
Island Railroad Co., a corporation chartered
by the State with authority to construct a
double-track tunnel and railway from the west
side of the City of New York at the Hudson
river, eastwardly along Forty-second street at
a depth of one hundred feet under the surface,
to and under the East river to Long Island
City, and thence to Brooklyn. The line has
been surveyed, located and construction com-
menced, and financial arrangements are now
in progress for the active construction of the
work. He is also chief engineer of the New
York Connecting Railroad Co. (which will be
a continuation of the New York & Long Island
railroad), from Long Island City to the New
York, New Haven & Hartford railroad, and
other lines in and near Port Morris in the
Twenty-third ward of New York City. . This
line is now nearly ready for construction, and
will be consolidated with other lines so as
to connect all the trunk lines which now ter-
minate in Jersey City with the New York,
New Haven & Hartford railroad on a termi-
nal property near East Bay. at the Bronx
river. Mr. Barnes is a member of the Ameri-
can Society of Civil Engineers, the Union
League Club of New York, the New England
Society, also the Engineers Club of Philadel-
phia, and his distinguished abilities and high
character as a man have won for him an en-
viable standing wherever he is known.

Mr. Barnes was married, while he was Res-



ident Engineer on the western division of the
Pennsylvania railroad, to Miss Elizabeth Den-
ny Harding, of Pittsburg, the ceremony being
performed January 7. 1851. at Allegheny
Arsenal, where her father, Major Edward Hard-
ing, of the United States Army, was in com-
mand as ordnance officer. Her mother's
maiden name was Nancy Denny, and her fam-
ily was one of the oldest in Pennsylvania; her
father, Ebenezer Denny, when a young man,
went from Carlisle m Cumberland county to
reside in Pittsburg, prior to the Revolution.
He was an aid on the staff of Gen. Arthur St.
Clair during the whole period of the Revolu-
tionary war, and frequently met Gen. Wash-
ington. When the city of Pittsburg was in-
corporated in 1816, he was chosen as mayor
of the city. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have two
daughters, and one son, Edward Harding
Barnes, a civil engineer, in the employ of the
Pennsylvania Railroad Co., near Pittsburg.



ELI H. COLLIN, a prominent merchant
: of Red Hook, Dutchess county, was born

January 22, i860, in the village of Pine Plains,
which had been for several generations the
home of his family.

His grandfather, Eli Collin, was born there>
and, with a brother, once owned and cultivated
about 1. 000 acres of valuable farm land in the
vicinity. He married Miss Betsy Finch, of
Pine Plains, and reared a family of eight chil-
dren: James. William. Henry. Bryant, Lydia,
Myra, Sarah and Julia. William Collin, our
subject's father, was reared upon his father's
farm and educated in the neighboring schools,
and in later life followed, like his ancestors, the
calling of agriculture. He married Miss Carh-

arine Conklin, a daughter of • Conklin, a

leading citizen of Mt. Ross.

The subject of this sketch was the only
child of this union, and at two years of age
was taken by his parents to the town of North
Easton, where he received his elementary edu-
cation. Later he attended the Amenia Semi-
nary at Amenia. and after graduating he man-
aged his father's farm, relieving his later years
of care. After his father's death he turned
his attention to mercantile pursuits, first in
Hudson, where he remained two years, and
later in Red Hook, where he established a
millinery and fancy-goods store, of which he
has made a success, ranking among the sub-
stantial business men of that locality. He was



,^f)S



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



married, September 21, 1887, to Miss Marian
Rider, a daughter of Oliver D. Rider, a wealthy
mason of Red Hook, and has two sons — Will-
iam O., born in July, 1889, and Henry B.,
born in June, 1893.

Mr. Collin is an active member of the fra-
ternal order of Odd Fellows, and is now past
grand of Christian Lodge No. 379, of Red
Hook, and financial scribe of Shiloh Encamp-
ment No. 68.



W NDREAS VALETTE HAIGHT, a lead-
£^^ ing printer and publisher of Poughkeep-
sie, whose original and artistic work in color
printing has won recognition among his craft
both in Europe and America, is a native of
Ellenville, Ulster Co., N. Y., born February
4, 1842.

Eburn Haight, from whom our subject's
branch of the family comes in direct line, was
a descendant of one Jonathan Haight, who
was born 1670- 1684, and lived at Rye, West-
chester Co., N. Y. He was a man of prom-
inence in his day, and served as high sheriff of
Westchester county. One of his descendants,
David, born in 1701, also lived at Rye, and
died about 1798. Eburn Haight, above men-
tioned, was born some time prior to 1754, and
was a resident, like his immediate forefathers,
of Westchester county, N. Y. His son, also
named Eburn, was born about 1744 in that
county, and married Joanna Fowler, of Ellen-
ville, Ulster Co. , N. Y. Of their eight children
David was the father of the subject of these
lines.

David Haight was born March 31, 1801,
in Plattekill, Ulster Co., N. Y., and on Feb-
ruary 20, 1 83 1 , married Anna Barbara Valette,
daughter of John J. Valette, of Plattekill,
Ulster county. They were the parents of seven
children, as follows: Caroline Adelia, married
to George Warren, and living at Ellenville;
Susan Van Wyck, wife of William H. Deyo,
of Ellenville; Ruth, who died young; Phoebe
Jane, married to William Warren, and also
living in Ellenville; Andreas \'alette, our sub-
ject; and Eburn Fowler and George Emory,
both residents of New York City.

After completing his education in the
schools of his native town, our subject began
to learn the printer's art in the office of the
Ellenville Journal, going thence to Rondout,
and from that place to New York City, where
he found employment, which, however, he



gave up to enter the army. He enlisted in the
Ninth Regiment, N. Y. S. M., and soon after-
ward was transferred to the 20th Regiment,
N. Y. S. M., and on finishing his three-months'
term of service he re-enlisted in the Fourth N.
Y. Cavalry, from which he received an honor-
able discharge in 1863. On his return from
the field he went to California, where for some
time he worked in the office of the San Fran-
cisco Call, and later had charge of the job-
printing department of the State printing works
at Sacramento. In 1868 he returned to the
East, and became a partner in the publication
of the Ellenville (Ulster county) Journal, and
began to make a reputation as a typographic
artist. Of the quality of his work the "Ameri-
can Art Printer" says: " He (Mr. Haight) was
the first of our more modern printers to depart
from the sometimes over-delicate tint work of
pioneers like William J. Kelly (exquisite
though the latter's was), and combine there-
with more daring tones and even full brilliant
dashes of rich coloring, that shot his work
straight into admiring notice. " In an article
by John Bassctt in an English journal, his
work, in general, is highly praised, and made
the te.xt of a brief exhortation to the English
artists in this line: "To wake from their
period of Rip Van Winkleism, and put into
their pages a little 'go,' which should stimu-
late the coming generation of English Caxtons
to emulate their cousin across the pond." He
mentions especially Mr. Haight's new designs
for type faces, several being among the most
popular productions of the type foundries.

In 1874 Mr. Haight became superintendent
of the Rondout Frcentait, and later was pro-
moted to its entire control, becoming a share-
holder in the company and holding the offices
of secretary and treasurer. In 1878 he re-
signed his position on the Freeman, and opened
an office in Poughkeepsie, where he has devel-
oped an extensive business. He was a large
exhibitor of specimens of printing at the Cax-
ton Celebration in 1877, and also in the first
two Printing Trades Exhibitions held in Lon-
don, England. His " Specimens of Printing,"
published yearly, has won the praise of experts
in his line, and reflects great credit upon the
capabilities of his workmen as well as upon the
designer. In 18S6 the Public Printer at Wash-
ington officially invited Mr. Haight to give. ex-
pert opinion on matters in connection with the
government printing office. At the time of the
opening of the new bridge at Poughkeepsie the




k-



'^"i'^jA



w



ivri/n



COMMEMORATIVE BWORAPffWAL RECORD.



309



Eag/f of that city published a souvenir edition
consisting of forty-four pages, concerning which
the proprietors gave notice that they intended
to ecUpse all previous efforts of the kind. The
work occupied some months, and was executed
in the Eagle office under the direct supervision
of Mr. Haight. The frontispiece covered a
superficial area of 216 inches, and was the
largest which has ever appeared in a paper, and
the entire paper, which contains many por-
traits, one of Mr. Haight being among them,
was an artistic success. As a contributor to
various trade papers Mr. Haight has furnished
many practical and original ideas to his breth-
ren of the craft. Among other articles may be
noted the following in the " Inland Printer:"
"Does Good Printing Pay.'" "About Job
Composition," and a series on "Colors and
Color Printing."

Notwithstanding his activity in business,
Mr. Haight finds time to take part in the social
and political life of his city, and has served



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 60 of 183)