J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 61 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 61 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


two terms as alderman and three as supervisor,
displaying his characteristic energy and ability
in his public duties. He is a member of the
G. A. R., D. B. Sleight Post, of which he is
past commander, and also belongs to the
Masonic order, being a past master of Triune
Lodge, F. & A. M. ; past high priest (two
terms) of Poughkeepsie Chapter, R. A. M.;
deputy master of King Solomon Council R. &
S. M. ; eminent commander for five consecutive
terms of Poughkeepsie Commandery No. 43,
K. T., and a member of Mecca Temple, Mystic
Shrine, in New York City.



«\ M. DOTY, of the well-known drug firm
IL of Doty & Humphrey, Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, was born in the town of
Clinton, near Clinton Corners, Dutchess coun-
ty, February 5, 1850. Until about sixteen
years old he lived upon the old farm, attend-
ing the district school, at which time, his par-
ents moving to Poughkeepsie, he there finished
his education, at the Riverview Military Acad-
emy.

On September 17, 1869, Mr. Doty entered
the drug store of Varick & Gerard, Pough-
keepsie, where he remained less than one year,
and then accepted a position with Van Vaik-
enburgh & Brown, who were also in the drug
business in that city. Here he worked for six
months, and then took charge of a branch
store at the corner of Main and Bridge streets.



which he conducted for some time, purchasing
a one-third interest in the business on Novem-
ber I, 1872. On November 25, 1873, with
William Bedell, Mr. Doty bought out the firm
of Van Valkenburgh & Vreeland, at the old
main store, taking Mr. Brown in as a partner,
under the firm name of Brown, Doty & Co.
This partnership lasted about two years, at the
end of which time Mr. Bedell sold his interest,
and the firm name became Brown & Doty,
which lasted until 1881, when the partnership
was dissolved, and Mr. Doty continued the
business in both the main and branch stores
for several years. During the time he pur-
chased the drug store of L. P. Hatch, of Mil-
lerton, N. Y. , which was run by him success-
fully in connection with the above. When the
firm name was Brown, Doty & Co., they
bought out Peter M. Howard, at No. 265 Main
street, and moved their stock from No. 249
Main street. In 1889 Mr. Doty took in his
present partner, A. S. Humphrey, and in 1890
they moved from No. 265 Main street to the
corner of Main and Crannell streets, which is
much larger and better adapted to their rap-
idly-increasing business. The store is hand-
somely fitted up, and the firm deals wholesale
as well as retail in drugs, medicines, sundries,
paints, oils, glass, seeds, etc.

On September 8, 1880, Mr. Doty was
united in marriage with the onlv daughter of
R. W. Wing, of New York City. While on
the streets of Poughkeepsie, viewing a fire-
men's parade, September 22, 1890, Mr. Doty
was struck by a stray bullet fired from a re-
volver in the hands of some unknown drunken
Eastman student. Mr. Doty was carried to
his j'oung wife unconscious, and remained in
bed several weeks, having had a marvelous
escape from instant death. One child, Her-
bert A., born January 7, 1884, has blessed the
union. Mr. Doty is an independent Demo-
crat, and a public-spirited citizen. He has
served as trustee of the Baptist Church at
Poughkeepsie over fourteen years, and Mrs.
Doty is a member of that organization. He
has repeatedly refused many offers of public
trust.

Thomas S. Doty, father of our subject, was
born in 18 10, in the town of Clinton, Dutchess
county, where he married Miss Maria Wing,
also a native of Clinton, born in 18 15. a
daughter of George and Mary Wing, who were
also born in Dutchess county. After their
marriage Mr. and Mrs. Doty settled on the



810



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



old homestead (arm, he following farming and
stock raising until seven years before his
death, when he lived a retired life in the city
of Poughkeepsie, and died January i8, 1873.
To him and his wife were born the following
children; Uavid, who is in the hotel business
at Mound City, Kans. ; Mary E., married to
William Bedell, a farmer in the town of Clin-
ton, once our subject's partner in the drug
business at Poughkeepsie, she died in 1893;
George, a farmer and stock dealer in Dutchess
county; Carrie, wife of Frank E. Whipple,
cashier of the First National Bank of Pough-
keepsie; Amelia Uevine, residing in Pough-
keepsie; Alexander, who died in May, 1870;
Agrippa Martin, our subject; Maria, the wife
of Frank Palmer, of Princeton, Kans. ; Lavinia,
wife of James Cookingham, the leading grocer
of Clyde, N. Y. ; and Thomas S., in the agri-
cultural-implement business in Manchester,
Iowa. In politics, Mr. Doty was a Democrat,
and in religious faith he and his wife were
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
He died in 1873; his widow is still living in
Poughkeepsie.

David Doty, the grandfather of our subject,
was born in Clinton, May 13, 1787. He
married Miss Elizabeth Sands, who was born
May 31, 1785, and they settled on the old
homestead, where he followed farming up to
his death, January 29, 1828; his wife passed
away November 26, 1826. They were mem-
bers of the Society of Friends, and he was an
enthusiastic Democrat. The following chil-
dren were born to them: Hannah, who became
the wife of Alexander W'ing, a farmer of
Dutchess county; Mary, who became the wife
of Moses Sands, at one time sheriff of Dutch-
ess county, but now deceased (her present
husband is George Howell, who is in the real-
estate business in Jersey City); Esther, mar-
ried to Jacob Smith, formerly a farmer, later
a liveryman in Poughkeepsie, and now de-
ceased; David A., our subject's father; and
one that died in infancy. The Dotys are of
Scotch descent, and the first of the family in
this country came over in the " Mayflower."



JOHN CORCORAN, a prominent business
man of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, a
leading retail grocer and an active member
of the Board of Trade, is a native of that city,
born January 13, 1842.

He is of Irish parentage, and was named



for his grandfather, a lifelong resident of the
Emerald Isle. His father, William Corcoran,
was born there about 181 5, and in early man-
hood came to America with his wife, Ellen
(Ryan), locating at Poughkeepsie, where he
became a prosperous gardener and florist. He
died in 1853, and his wife survived him until
1875.

John Corcoran, our subject, attended the
public schools of his native place until he was
thirteen years old, and, with the exception of
one winter in a night school at Norwalk, Conn.,
his education was mainly self-acquired. His
habits of reading and close observation have
enabled him, however, to secure a range of
practical information which some men of wider
opportunities might well envy. At thirteen he
began working in a brass foundry, and later
followed the trade of florist for twelve years.
He spent three years in that business in Nor-
walk, Conn., but since 1S68 he has been en-
gaged in the grocer)" business in Poughkeepsie,
first at th e corner of Mansion and Bridge
streets, and for eighteen years past at the cor-
ner of Mill and Bridge streets. His success is
substantial, and, as he believes in making the
most of life and its good gifts, he has invested
some of his gains in a pleasant home for his
family, his residence on Bain avenue being one
of the finest in the city.

He has been twice married, first, in 1866,
to Miss Mary Ann Delaney, who died, leaving
three children: William, Catherine and Ellen.
Mr. Corcoran's present wife was Miss Mary
Oldfieid, a daughter of Michael and Ellen Old-
field. Eight children were born of this mar-
riage: John (deceased), Clarice, Frances, Mary,
Joseph, Elizabeth, James L. and Edward.
The family are leading members of St. Peter's
Catholic Church, and Mr. Corcoran is promi-
nent in the work of the Catholic Benevolent
Society. In fact, he has taken an active part
in many enterprises — civil, religious and polit-
ical, as well as those which have pertained to
finance alone. He has been president of the
Retail Merchants Association for two terms;
vice-president of the Board of Trade for two
terms, and a member of that body for many
years. While he is an ardent supporter of the
principles of the Democratic party, he does
not seek political office. About 1886 he was
appointed alderman from the First ward, and
was elected to the position about 1887, but
resigned before the expiration of his term.
About 1890 he was appointed member of the



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



311



board of water commissioners, by Mayor Ells-
worth, and he has given to the discharge of the
duties of each place the ability and energy and
fidelity which have distinguished his business
career.



FREDERICK WORMSLEY, a successful
__ and enterprising grocer of Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, was born in Prussia, Ger-
many, November 30, 1842, and is the son of
Jacob and Catherine (Otto) Wormsley, the
former of whom held the office of tax collector
under the German government. Both the
parents died in Germany.

Our subject spent his early days in Prussia,
and at the age of fourteen came to Poughkeep-
sie with his sister, making his home first at
East Poughkeepsie. He worked for his board,
taking care of fourteen horses, milking five
cows, and going to school in the winter. Later
he clerked for Mr. Baker in a grocery store, on
Main street, and then for James Husted, on
Market street, for several years. In 1869 he
started a grocery store where Wallman's
bakery now is, and then conducted a store
where Mr. Bloomer's place now stands. This
he ran from 1S82 to 1S87, when he sold out
and lived a retired life until September 21,
1S95, when he again went into business on
Main street.

Mr. Wormsley was married May 10, 1868,
to Annie, a daughter of John Munsell. She
was born in Germany, but has been a resident
of Poughkeepsie since she was six months old.
They have no children. Our subject was con-
firmed in the Lutheran Church before leaving
Germany. He is a member of the Improved
Order of Red Men; a Veteran Fireman, life
member of Steamer Company No. 2; and a
member of Freigangrath Lodge No. 549, D. O.
Haragari. He has been a lifelong Democrat,
but has never sought public office. He began
life as a poor boy, and has succeeded in ac-
cumulating a comfortable property. Mr.
Wormsley is a straightforward business man,
and is highly respected by his neighbors and
associates.



EDWARD HUNTTING BEDFORD (de-
1 ceased). The Bedford family has been

prominent in the vicinity of Glenham, Dutch-
ess county, for many years, and by intermar-
riage it is related to several other distinguished



families of this section. The subject of this
brief memoir was a worthy descendant of such
an ancestry, and although his life was passed
in the quiet calling of agriculture he displayed,
on all occasions, characteristics which would
have adorned any sphere of life.

He was born at Glenham, July 14, 1835,
the son of John and Sarah H. (Waldroni Bed-
ford, and grandson of John Bedford, a jeweler
and watchmaker at Fishkill. His father was
born May 16, 1791, and died February 24,
1845, after spending his later years as a farmer
at Glenham. His wife, whom he married
February 20, 1828, was born April 28, 1800,
survived. him many years, dying January 15,
1882. She was a daughter of Peter Waldron
(who was born April 23, 1754, and died May
10, 1827) and his wife, Edea Swartwout iborn
October 9, 1764, died January i, 1847). Their
marriage took place February 21, 1796.

Edward H. Bedford was one of two sons,
his brother Andrew, who was born March 15,
1830, being the elder. Our subject attended
the district schools at Glenham, and the acad-
emy at Fishkill, then conducted by Rev. Dr.
Pingree, and later entered Yale College, but
was obliged to leave on account of ill health
before his course was finished. Returning
home, he assumed the management of the farm,
which he continued until his death, which oc-
curred January 20, 1872. He was prominent
in the varied activities of his locality, being one
of the leading officials of the Fishkill Savings
Bank, and an earnest supporter of the Repub-
lican party. In the Reformed Dutch Church
at Glenham he was an active worker, holding
the offices of deacon, treasurer and superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school.

On October 13, 1859, he was married to
Miss Anna Bevier, daughter of Rev. John H.
and Margaret (Van Wyck) Bevier. Her father
was at that time the pastor of the Reformed
Dutch Church at Glenham, and he performed
the ceremony in the parsonage there. On the
maternal side her grandparents were Cornelius
C. and Lctitia (Adriancei Van Wyck, of Fish-
kill. To Mr. and Mrs. Bedford eight children
were born, as follows: Edward Huntting, Jr.,
December 25, i860, died August 11, 1864;
John Bevier, February 27, 1862 (of whom
further mention is made); Andrew Wortman,
August II, 1863, died December 30, 1882;
Wilhelmus, January 24, 1865, died January .3,
1894; Sarah Van Wyck, May 21, 1866; Anna
Huntting, July 12,1 868, was married at ' ' Glen-



312



COMilEMORATIVE BIOGRAPUICAL RECORD.



villa," Glenham, May 23, 1894, to the Rev.
Peter Stryker Beekman, by the Rev. Benjamin
E. Uickhant; Charles \'an Wyck, March 14,
187 1, is a minister of the Reformed Dutch
Church; and Edwin Rapelje, August 19, 1872,
is a physician at Brooklyn, New York.

John Bevier Bedfokd was educated in the
public schools of Glenham and Matteawaii,
also in a private school at Fishkill Landing and
a boarding school at Poughkeepsie. After
leaving school he settled on the old home-
stead, where he has ever since resided. In
1 888 and '89 he passed a year in the West and
Southwest, spending part of the time at Omaha,
Neb., and Wichita, Kans. After his return
home he was appointed postmaster at Glen-
ham, beginning with the administration of
President Benjamin Harrison, and which posi-
tion he held for five consecutive years. He is
now clerk of the school board, having held the
office for nearly three years. In politics he is
a Republican.

Genealogy of the Bevier Family — First
Generation: Louis Bevier and Maria Lablane
emigrated from France between the years 1672
and 1675. Children of Scco/id Generation:
Maria, born July 9, 1674; John, January 2,
1676; Abram, January 20, 1678; Samuel, Janu-
ary 21, 1680; Andries, July 12, 1682; Louis,
November 6, 1684; Ester, 1686; Solomon,
July 12, 1689. Third Generation: Abram
Bevier was married to Rachel \'ernooy, 1707.
Their son Samuel was baptized in 171 5, and
they had nine other children beside him.
Fourth Generation: Samuel Bevier, Jr., was
married to Sarah Le Fever. They had three
sons and four daughters; Andries, their eldest
son, was born April 4, 1742. Fifth Genera-
tion: Andries Bevier married Jecomyntie
Du Bois, June 2, 1764. She was the daugh-
ter of Cornelius Du Bois and Margaret Hough-
taling. They had the following children;
Sarah, born August 18, 1765; Samuel, October
25, 1766; Cornelius, April 27, 1769; Wilhel-
mus. May 10, 1771; Lewis, born December 5,
1773; Abraham, July 28, 1776; Janatie, No-
vember 30, 1 78 1, died in infancy; Margaret,
baptized May 30, 1779; Josiah, baptized Feb-
ruary 7, 1783; Rachel, baptized March 13,
1 79 1. Sixth Generation: Wilhelmus Bevier
was married January 11, jSoi, to Anna Hoorn-
beek, born May 29, 1771. and died June 3,
1850. They had the following children: (i)
Jemimah, born November 24, iSoi, died
October 19, 1885; (2) Catherine, born Sep-



tember 14, 1803, died March 8, iS64;(3j John
H., born July 21, 1805, died August 14, 1880;
(4j Maria, born August 29, i8b7, died June i,
1885; (5) \\'illiam, born August 29, 1809,
died June 14, 1834; (6) Benjamin H., born
March i, 18 12, died September 7, 1S80; (7)
Sarah, born June 24, 181 4, died March 20,
1863. John H. Bevier married Margaret Van-
Wyck and had the following children: Corne-
lius Van Wyck, born April 19, 1833, died Sep-
tember 28, 1889; Anna, born March 24, 1835
(widow of Edward H. Bedford), resides at
"Glenvilla," Glenham; Wilhelmus. born April
23, 1840, died January 26, 1844; and Laetitia
Van Wyck, born April 19, 1842, resides at
" Glenvilla."

Genealogy of the \'an \\'yck Family: Cor-
nelius C. Van Wyck, born April 25, 1763,
died December 9. 1832. Letitia Adriance,
hrs wife, born February 5, 1766, died May 22,
1858. They were rnarried May 3, 1786. To
them were born the following children: Isaac,
born January 31, 1787. died April 16, 1858;
Letty, born October 26, 178S, died June 9,
1835; Peter Schenck, born January 19, 1790,
died September 28, 1875; Susan, born July
30, 1791, died July 2, 1878: John C, born
March 24, 1793, died June 2, 1867; Sally,
born February 5, 1795, died February 18,
i860; Maria, born December 15. 1796, died
March 18, 1879; Ida Eliza, born May 16, 1799,
died September 2, 1800; Charles, born April
7, iSoi, died March 28, 1880; Albert, born
February 25, 1803, died November 23, 1806;
Caroline, born January 22, 1805, died August
16, 1875; Margaret, born July 3, 1810, died
November 20, 1868 (she was the wife of the
Rev. John H. Bevier).



JOHN SUTCLIFFE, one of the best known
and most successful business men of Pough-
^ keepsie, Dutchess county, was born in Stain-
land, near Halifax, Yorkshire, England, July
29, 1837, a son of Eli and Mary (Lumb) Sut-
cliffe. His grandfather John, and great-grand-
father Eli Sutcliffe, were natives of the same
locality, the former of whom carried on a
woolen business, the latter conducting a pa-
per-mill.

Eli Sutcliffe, the father of our subject, was
born April 7, 1815, also in Stainland, near
Halifax, England, grew to manhood in his na-
tive country, and there married Miss Mary
Lumb, who was born in Barkisland, near Hali-





^^^^,5/1^^:^^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



313



fax, England, September 23, 181 5. Her fa-
ther, John Lunib, a weaver of woolen goods,
was also born in that part of the country.
About four years after their marriage the young
couple came to the United States, and in 1840
settled in Poughkeepsie, where Mr. Sutcliffe at
first worked in a woolen-factory, afterward en-
gaging in teaming. In 185 1 he opened a gro-
cery store at the corner of Union and Clover
streets, which he carried on some eighteen
years. In 1855, in partnership with David
Scott, he went into the manufacture of soap
and candles, later, however, disposing of this
business, also, in 1867, of his interest in the
grocery store to his son William H., after
which he retired from active business. In poli-
tics he was originally a Whig, and for many
years since has been an active member of the
Republican party; he has served as assessor
for the city of Poughkeepsie. In religious faith
he is a consistent member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, as was also his wife, who
departed this life September 10, 1894. Five
children were born to this worthy couple, as
follows: John, the subject of this sketch;
Sarah E., who married Benjamin F. Brinker-
hoff; William H., a grocer in Poughkeepsie;
Eli D., an Episcopalian minister in Oregon;
and George T., who died in infancy.

John Sutcliffe, our subject, was three years
old when his parents came to this country,
and was reared in Poughkeepsie, where he at-
tended the public schools, and also the Dutch-
ess County Academy. His business career he
began as clerk in his father's store, and in
1 861 went to Peekskill, where he became as-
sistant manager of the Peeksville Blast Fur-
nace, a position he filled for two years. He
then drew the plans for a new furnace to be
established at Coldspring, Putnam Co., N. Y. ,
known as the Phillips Iron Works, and which
he also built and started. After getting this
well under way, owing to some disagreement
with the management, he resigned his position
and went to England in order to post himself
more thoroughly in the details of the iron busi-
ness. In the fall of 1864 he returned to the
United States, and began the building of new
iron works at Verplanck's Point, N. Y. ; but
owing to the financial panic in 1865 they were
not completed. In the latter year he erected the
building on the corner of Union and Clover
streets, Poughkeepsie, for his father, and be-
came interested in a woolen business with an
uncle. In the following spring he went to Hyde-



ville. \'t., to take charge of the works of the
Eagle Slate Co., and remained with that com-
pany for four years, managing the business with
great success, and making many improve-
ments in the establishment. In 1868 he went
to Wales and England, where he made a study
of the manufacture of slate, and on his return
built the machinery for working up refuse
stock into billiard tables, mantels and other
slate work. He also built the mill which he
successfully operated until 1870, when he left
the company on account of a difference of
opinion. In the summer of 1870 he remodeled
a slate mill at the Chapman slate quarries in
Pennsylvania, and in the winter of 1870-71 re-
turned to Poughkeepsie to build the filter beds,
docks, etc., for the city water works, and
spent the year 1871 in constructing the same.
The filter beds were the only successful ones
of the kind in the United States at that time,
and are still in operation.

Mr. Sutcliffe spent a portion of the follow-
ing year traveling through the South and West,
studying and looking up the large iron fields, etc.
In the fall of 1872 he again returned to Pough-
keepsie and built the Hudson River Iron Works,
and the docks now known as the Phceni.x
Horse Shoe Works. In 1873 he took con-
tracts to build sewers and lay water pipes in
the city of Poughkeepsie; but before the con-
tracts were finished, owing to the stringency in
the money market, in the fall of 1873, the city
could not raise sufficient money to meet its
obligations, and requested Mr. Sutcliffe to sus-
pend work. However, he obtained the neces-
sary funds from private sources, and finished
the work. He also managed the Franklin
Iron Works near Utica, N. Y., which had two
blast furnaces, and in addition to his other en-
terprises built a row of brick buildings in
Poughkeepsie.

In the spring of 1 874 he was called to Penn-
sylvania to settle up the business of the Pond-
Eddy Blue Stone Company, which was located
on the Erie railroad, in Pike county, in which
affair he displayed much ability, and matters
were satisfactorily arranged. He was next
employed by the Vallecillo Silver Mining Co. ,
to look up their mines in Mexico, and if he
thought they could be run with profit, to take
the management of them, and if not, to return
and receive one j-ear's pay for his services.
His investigation proved so satisfactory that
he took charge of the mines and operated them
for ten years, during which time he succeeded



314



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



in placing them on a good paying basis with-
out any cost to the company. In the fall of
1884 he returned home and took a year's rest
after his arduous labors, at the end of which
time he was engaged by the receiver of the
Steel Company of Canada, Nova Scotia, to
take charge of its affairs as general manager,
and owing to the success attending his man-
agement a new company was organized under
the title of the Londonderry Iron Company,
Limited, in which he took an interest, and of
which he became general manager. In the
fall of 1889 he resigned his position as mana-
ger, consenting, however, to act as consulting
engineer, with his residence at Poughkeepsie
instead of Nova Scotia. Since that time he
has made his home in Poughkeepsie, and has
been engaged in various contracts, and acting
as consulting engineer.

On July 26, 1876, Mr. Sutcliffe was mar-
ried to Miss Sarah E. Swart. Her father,
William Beekman Swart, was of Dutch de-
scent, a descendant of Anneke Jans, and an
old settler of Dutchess county, whose father,
Maj. Thomas Swart, served in the Revolution-
ary war, and was an officer in the war of 1S12.
Three children have been born of this union,
Paul, Allen and John \V.

Mr. Sutcliffe is a strong Republican, and
served as police commissioner for two terms.
In religious matters he is not a sectarian, but
has a kindly feeling for all denominations. He
was formerly an Odd Fellow, and is now a
member of the Masonic fraternity; is a mem-
ber of the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers,
and the American Institute of Mining Engineers,
also of the Engineers Club of New York City.
In the various responsible positions that he
has filled he has earned the reputation of a
man of integritj', good judgment and keen
business ability, and is everywhere respected



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 61 of 183)