J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 63 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 63 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


In 1886 he was elected Probate Judge, and re-
elected in 1888. On December 25, 1890, he
married Miss Helen Dicken, and they have
three children: Edmund, William and Harlan.

Paul Schenck, fourth son, was born May
19, 1856. He was educated at the district
school and Pelham Institute. In 1880 he
went to Kansas, where he began sheep breed-
ing. He returned to Dutchess county in 1886,
and here remained until 1895, when he entered
into business in the city of Buffalo.

Joseph, fifth son, was born October 8,
1858; was educated at the same institution as
was Paul; and has always resided upon the old
homestead in Lagrange. On January i, 1S80,
he married Miss Charlotte Bartlett, and they
have the following children: Jennie L., Jo-
sephine, Edmund, and Paul Schenck. Mr.
Van Wyck is a Republican, and in 1896 he
was elected supervisor of the town of Lagrange
for two years; he has always followed the occu-
pation of farming.

Alex. W., si.xth son, was born March 5,
1 861; was educated with his brothers, and in
1 88 1 went to Nebraska, where he remained a
year. He then went to Washington Territory
(now State), settling at New Whatcom, and
was elected city treasurer. On July 21, 1888,
he married Miss Annie Kalloch, daughter of
the late Hon. I. S. Kalloch, mayor of San
Francisco, Cal. In 1 896 he was elected county
auditor after one of the hottest political battles
in the record of the county. He is a Repub-
lican. He and his wife have two children:
Phillip and Catherine.

Other well-known members of the family,
descendants in the same line, and residents of
Dutchess county, are: S. Miller Van Wyck,
lawyer, residing at Fishkill-on-Hudson; B. W.
Van Wyck, of Poughkeepsie; Abraham \'an-
Wyck and James \'an Wyck, of East Fishkill.



320



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



An examination of the family coat of arms
shows that an ancestor was in the Crusades,
which commenced about the year 1096 under
Pope Urban II.



IfSAAC HAIGHT, Jr. (deceased). For sev-
_[ eral generations the family name of the
subject of this sketch has been a familiar one
in this locality. The first of the family in di-
rect line to emigrate to America was Simon
Haight, who arrived in the New World in
1628. Originally the Haights lived in Wales.
Simon Haight was the father of Nicholas (i)
Haight, who in turn had a son Samuel.
Samuel Haight resided on Long Island,
and there his son Nicholas (2), the great-great-
grandfather of our subject, was born.

Nicholas (2) became the father of Jacob
Haight, who was born on Long Island in 1705.
Jacob, the great-grandfather of our subject,
was united in marriage wiih Miss Sarah Hicks,
and to them the following children were born:
Elizabeth, born in 1734; John, 1736; Stephen,
1738; Nicholas, 1740; Jacob (2) 1742; Pa-
tience, 1744; Sarah, 1746; Samuel, 1748; and
Phoebe, 1750.

Jacob (2) was married to Miss Phcebe
Haviland, who was born in 1745, and they
reared the following children: Charity, born
in 1769; Patience, born in 1771; James, de-
ceased in infancy; Sarah, born in 1775; John,
the father of our subject, born in 1777; Eliza-
beth, born in 1779; Jacob, born in 1782, and
Isaac, born in 1784.

John Haight was born in Hart's Village,
where he married Miss Elsie Thorne and set-
tled on a farm on which a part of Millbrook
now stands. Four children were born to him
and his wife, namely: William, who was a
farmer on the old homestead; Isaac, our sub-
ject; Jacob, who died in 1S45; and Anna, who
married Jacob H. Allen, a farmer at Skaneat-
eles, Onondaga Co., N. Y. The father was a
farmer; in religious faith he and his wife were
Quakers. He died April 26, 1836.

Isaac Haight, the subject proper of this
sketch, was born June 26. 1807, in what was
then called Hart's Village, town of Washing-
ton. After passing his youth on his father's
farm, he clerked in a store in Poughkeepsie,
and also at Hart's Village.

In 1835 he was united in marriage to Miss
Hannah L. Wintringham, who was born in
New York City in 1812, a daughter of Thomas



and Ruth (Lawton) Wintringham. After their
marriage our subject and his wife located on a
farm on the present site of Millbrook. Four
children were born to them: William Ed.,
who died in the Civil war; Sidney \\'., who
died in 1882; Frances; and Emily R. Mr.
Haight was a Democrat, and held the office of
supervisor of his town; he was a substantial
and progressive citizen, a leader among men,
and is well remembered as a kind and gener-
ous citizen. His death occurred November
15, 1864; his wife survived until February 15,
1893.

Thomas Wintringham, the father of Mrs.
Haight, was born in Holmpton, Yorkshire,
England, in 1775. He came to America and
located in New York City, where he was a
vintner. He married Miss Ruth Lawton, and
they became the parents of the following chil-
dren: David L. ; Hannah W'., wife of our
subject; Sidney, deceased in infancy; Sidney
(2); Jeremiah; and Ruth. Of these, David was
a retired citizen of Jersey City; Sidney lived in
Brooklyn, retired; Jeremiah was also a retired
citizen of Brooklyn; Ruth married Henry
Clement, a merchant of Flushing, L. I. Mrs.
Wintringham came from Rhode Island, where
her family were Quakers.



CHARLES A. STORM (deceased) was a
man of the strictest integrity, whose hon-
orable, upright life won the commendation of
all. His birth took place in the town of East
Fishkill, September 16, 1846, and he belonged
to a family which had for many years been
prominently identified with the history of
Dutchess county. His grandfather was Col.
John G. Storm, a native of Dutchess county,
and the son of Charles G. Storm.

Charles G. Storm, the father of our sub-
ject, was also born in Dutchess county, and
here devoted his entire life to agricultural pur-
suits. He wedded Mary Adriance, a daughter
of Isaac Adriance, and after their marriage
they located upon a farm in the town of East
Fishkill, where they reared their family of five
children: Susan M., the widow of William
P. Storm, who %vas a merchant of New York
City, but in later life engaged in farming;
John, a resident of White Plains, N. Y., who
married Henrietta Albro, a native of New
York City; Margaret, who died unmarried;
George, who married Emma Haight, ? native
of White Plains; and Charles A., of this re-




^Jcu^cx'. ^yVc^*-



e /-xy^




COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



821



view. The father always turned his attention
to farming, was an unfaltering Republican in
politics, and with his family held to the belief
of the Reformed Dutch Church.

Like most farmer boys, our subject passed
his childhood, in assisting his father in the
work of the home farm, and in attending the
district school; later he was a student in the
Bisbee school at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. After
finishing his education he returned to the farm,
and January 24, 1872, was united in marriage
with Miss Elizabeth B. Storm, a daughter of
John V. Storm, and a sisterof Abram J. Storm,
Joseph H. Storm and W. J. Storm. They
began housekeeping upon his father's place,
which he operated for five years, and the fol-
lowing two years were spent upon her father's
farm. In 1879, he purchased the farm on
which Mrs. Storm now resides, and where Mr.
Storm's death occurred June 22, 1892. His
attention was devoted exclusively to his farm-
ing interests, and his political support was ever
given the Republican party, which had in him
a most earnest advocate. No man in the town
of East Fishkill gained and retained more
friends, or was held in higher esteem by his
fellow citizens than Charles A. Storm.



CHARLES DOUGHTY (deceased) was one
_ of the representative and honored citizens
of the town of Beekman, where his birth oc-
curred, April I, 1 841. He was a descendant
of Rev. Francis Doughty, who about the year
1633 emigrated from England and located at
Taunton, Mass., which places him among the
earliest of the Puritan fathers following in the
footsteps of the " Mayt^ower " pioneers. The
Doughty family in England is of ancient ori-
gin, dating back before the Norman conquest.
The name was originally spelled Doghtig, and
the family motto was " Palina non sine pul-
vcrc.

Joseph Doughty, the great-grandfather of
our subject, was a native of Long Island, and
was the first of the family to come to Dutch-
ess county, locating upon the farm in the town
of Beekman, between Greenhaven and Pough-
quag, now occupied by John Brill. Upon
that place he erected a log house, and spent
the remainder of his life. He was united in
marriage with Miss Psyche Wiltsie, who was
born September 16, 1736, and they became
the parents of twelve children, whose names
with dates of birth are as follows: Mary, March

21



-l< '754; John, June 8, 1757; Thomas, April
27. 1759; Jane, July 4, 1761; Joseph, Octo-
ber 14, 1763; Psyche, March 6, 1766; Martin,
March 14, 1768; William, November 5, 1770;
Jacob, October 20, 1772; Elizabeth. October
18, 1774; Cornwell, October 28, 1776; and Ne-
hemiah, October 14, 1780.

William Doughty, the grandfather of our
subject, was born in the town of Beekman,
and there carried on farming throughout his
life. He married Mrs. Sarah (Van Wyck)
Vanderburg, and in their family were six chil-
dren: Phebe, born August 18, 1805; John J.,
April 12, 1807; Psyche, July 9, 1809; Will-
iam, June 7. 18 1 1 ; Sarah, June 22, 1813; and
George T., October 26, 1815. The father of
these died in 1854, at the age of eighty-four
years; the mother died in 1865, at the age of
ninety-four years.

William Doughty, Jr., the father of our
subject, spent his entire life in the town of
Beekman, and after reaching years of maturity-
devoted his time and attention to agricultural
pursuits. He was united in marriage with Jane
F. Brock, also a native of the town of Beek-
man, and to them three sons were born:
Charles, subject of this review; Walter, who
was born in 1844, and is now secretary and
treasurer of a company at the Union Stock
Yards at Chicago, 111. ; and Edgar, who died
in 1865. The mother's death occurred in De-
cember, 1874, that of the father on June i,
1893. In religious belief he was a member of
the Society of Friends.

In the district schools near his home
Charles Doughty secured his education, and
he always remained upon the homestead farm
in the town of Beekman, dying there Novem-
ber 13, 1884. He took a lively interest in
political affairs, being one of the most earnest
supporters of the Republican party, and after
the civil war served as revenue collector of
Dutchess county. He also held the office of
justice of the peace of Beekman township, and
discharged his duties, whether public or private,
with promptness and fidelity which won him
the commendation of all. Socially' he affili-
ated with Hopewell Lodge, F. & A. M. He
was universally respected, and his word was
considered as good as his bond. By his death
the county lost one of its most honored and
and useful citizens.

On May 23, 1865, Mr. Doughty was mar-'
ried to Miss Mary E. Brown, a lady who is
greatly respected in the community. Two



322



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPnWAL RECORD.



children blessed this union: Morton B. and
Christopher Brown. The former was born
January lo, 1868, was educated in the district
schools, also in the Pingry school, at Eliza-
beth, N. J., and was reared on a farm. On
August 14, 1895, he married Miss Lillian
Tormoehlan, daughter of W'illiam and Louise
(Sherbourne) Tormoehlan, the former of whom
was born in Germany, the latter in Cincinnati,
Ohio. The mother died December 9, 1882,
the father on June 5, 1892. The family
reside in Chicago, where Mrs. Morton Doughty
was born. Christopher Brown, the second
son of Charles and Mary E. Doughty, was
born June 30, 1871, and at the present time
is steward of the "Garden City Hotel," New
York City.

Christopher Brown, the father of Mrs.
Doughty, was a native of Germany, where he
learned the trade of a miller, and in early
manhood he came to America, locating in the
town of Beekman, Dutchess county, where he
made his home for forty-five years, during
which time he followed milling at Greenhaven.
At Fishkill, Dutchess county, he was united in
marriage with Miss Nancy Griffen, and they
had two daughters: Mary E. and Phebe,
the latter of whom married Homer Chapman.
The parents were both widely and favorably
known, and enjoyed the confidence and respect
of all. The father died March 5, 1883, the
mother on I'ebruary 18, 1896.



ALBERT J. AKIN, of Pawling, Dutchess
_ county, one of the ablest financiers
which this section has produced, has rendered
important service to his community by pro-
moting various enterprises which have devel-
oped its commercial relations, and led the way
to the expansion of its business interests.

He is descended from a long line of Quaker
ancestry, the head of the American branch of
the family being John Akin, who was born in
Scotland in 1663, and about the ye.ir 1680, or
earlier, on account of religious persecutions,
emigrated to America. He located in Dart-
mouth, Mass., when about seventeen years of
age. He married Mary Briggs, who was born
August 9, 1 67 1, the daughter of Thomas
Briggs, and they had eight sons and seven
daughters. Their eldest son, David Akin,
born September 19, 1689, was the next an-
cestor in direct line of descent, and the first of



the name to settle at Quaker Hill, where he
probably occupied the property now owned by
the family of Mr. Gould. He had a record for
good service during the Revolutionary war,
and his death occurred in 1779. In 171 1 he
married Sarah Allen, of Portsmouth. R. I.,
and removed to Quaker Hill (formerly called
the Oblong), in 1741. Si.\ sons and four
daughters were born to them, and their son,
John Akin, born September 15, 1718, became
the next in line of descent. He married Mar-
garet Hicks, who was born in Portsmouth,
R. I., January 12, 1713, and they had three
daughters and one son, as follows: Anna,
Mary, Abigail and John.

John Akin was born November 11, 1753,
and December 27, 1775, married Molly Ferris,
who was born April 20, 1759, daughter of
Reed Ferris. They had two sons and four
daughters: Albro (our subject's father), Sarah,
Margaret, Ann, Daniel and Amanda.

Albro Akin was born March 6, 1778, at
Quaker Hill, and became one of the most in-
fluential and distinguished citizens of his day
in this section, a contemporary of Taber, Rirby
and others of note. He was a successful mer-
chant and agriculturist. On March 24, 1815,
he was appointed judge of the court of com-
mon pleas of Dutchess county by Gov. Daniel
D. Tompkins. On the organization of the
Poughkeepsie National Bank, he became a
member of its first board of directors. He
was married three times, first in 1801, to
Pauline N'ander Burgh, who was born in 1783,
and they had three children: Albert John,
born August 14, 1803, married Jane Williams;
Almira, born February 3, 1806, married Joshua
L. Jones; and Helen M., born July 4, 1810,
married John W. Taylor. The mother of this
family died in 18 10, and Mr. Akin married
Sarah Merritt, who died leaving no children.
On December 4, 181S, Mr. Akin married a
third wife. Miss Jemima Jacacks, and their
pleasant home at Quaker Hill was brightened
by seven children, as follows: Mary J. ; Will-
iam Henry ; Cornelia; Gulielma Maria; Amanda,
who married Dr. C. W. Stearns; Annie E.,
who married W. H. Ogden; and Caroline,
who married Adolph Wilm-Beets.

Albert John Akin left home when nineteen
years of age, going to New York City, where
he served a clerkship of two years with Will-
iam and Charles Underbill, and then com-
menced business on his own account under the
firm name of Seaman & Akin. After contin-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHWAL RECORD.



323



uing successfully for several years he was com-
pelled, on account of ill health, to retire to
the country under advice of his phjsician.
With health restored, he re-entered business
life, at the age of thirty, engaging in farming
upon 200 acres of land which his father had
given him, continuing in this calling exclusively
until about 1849, when he began to give his
attention to railroading. The Harlem rail-
road was projected at that time, and Mr. Akin
helped to secure the right of way, and was one
of the committee appointed to raise $100,000
for the road, John Ketcham being also a mem-
ber. Later Mr. Akin was appointed to pay
out the installments of money received, and
his own high reputation did much to assist the
credit of the road. Two years were occupied
in this work, and, no one being willing to fur-
nish ties or timber for the road, Mr. Akin ad-
vanced money for the same. It was also
through his influence that the present refresh-
ment house was located at Pawling, which
contributed much indirectly to the growth and
prosperity of the town. After the road was
finished, December 30, 1849, there being no
depot building, Mr. Akin put up the first one,
and also, in company with other business men,
furnished money for a small hotel. In 1849
he organized the Pawling National Bank, and
was elected president of the institution, which
prospered under his management. This posi-
tion he held until January, 1895, when he re-
signed on account of his advanced age. Busi-
ness has been a pleasure to him. He has been
a director of the Harlem railroad for fifteen
years, when Commodore Vanderbilt was con-
nected with it, and has also been a stockholder
in the Utica & Schenectady railroad, and in
the New York Central. His enterprise and
foresight have done much for Pawling and
Quaker Hill, and he owns 500 acres of land at
the latter place. He built Akin Hall, and en-
dowed the Akin Hall Association with $150,-
000, and erected the " Mizzentop Hotel,"
which helped to develop the place as a sum-
mer resort, also erected four or five cottages
for renting purposes.

In religion Mr. Akin is non-sectarian, with
strong inclination toward the faith of his fore-
fathers. Politically he is an Independent, has
eschewed partisan work, but served as a Presi-
dential elector in the electoral college which
placed the lamented Garfield in the White
House. On December 21, 1835, he married
Jane Williams, who was born in New York



City. They have no children. For the last
thirty years his winter residence has been in
New York Citv.



CORYDON WHEELER. Among the self-
,J made men of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess
county, who have attained a high rank in their
various callings by their own unaided e.xertions,
may be found this gentleman, who has become
widely known as an architect of ability. He
was born December 21, 1837, '" the town of
Boonville, Oneida Co.. N. Y., and is the son
of Albert and Mary (Hitchcock) Wheeler, the
former of English descent.

Albert Wheeler, our subject's father, was
born in New Hampshire, in 1803, and was
reared upon a farm. Removing to Oneida
county, he there carried on farming during his
entire life, becoming one of the thrifty and
well-to-do men of that locality, and highly re-
spected in his community. He was possessed
of literary tastes, and was well informed on
all current topics. In politics he was an Old-
line Whig. He married Miss Mary Hitchcock
(daughter of Pownell Hitchcock), who was born
in Schoharie county, N. Y. , in 1812. Five
children were born of this union, as follows:
Almarine, who became the wife of Nathan W.
Jones; Mary Ann, married to Austin Walcott;
Corydon; Elbridge, who died when nineteen
years old; and Caroline, married to Francis
M. Reed, of Boonville. Oneida Co., N. Y.
The father died in 1859. and the mother in

1873-

Corydon Wheeler had but limited oppor-
tunities for an education in his early days, his
only schooling being obtained in the common
schools of his locality, which he attended until
fourteen years of age. He was, however, very
fond of reading, and when a young man be-
gan collecting a library, at present owning a
fine assortment of books. He has improved
every opportunity of acquiring an education,
and is to-day one of the well-informed men in
the county. On leaving school he worked on
his father's farm until eighteen years of age;
but his tastes inclining to mechanical pursuits
he took up the carpenter's trade, and later be-
came a contractor and builder, erecting some
of the large stores and residences in Pough-
keepsie. During this time he had been study-
ing the profession of an architect, and since
1884 has devoted himself to that line of busi-
ness. He has made the plans for some large



S24



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



buildings in various places, among these being
a large structure in Chicago, an extensive hotel
in Sheffield, Ala., and Trinity Methodist
Church in Poughkeepsie. In all his work he
shows intelligence, artistic taste and careful
attention to the purposes for which the build-
ings are to be used, making his work satisfac-
tory, both ornamentally and practically — ^con-
sequently he has been successful in his enter-
prises, and is among the foremost in his pro-
fession.

On October 8, i860, Mr. Wheeler was
married to Miss Celia A. Kellogg, of Trenton,
Oneida Co., N. Y. , and four children have
been born to them, two of whom survive:
Jessie L. , the wife of William P. McNeil, of
Poughkeepsie; and Winthrop Iv., a carpenter,
residing in Poughkeepsie. Chester A. died
when a little over two years old, and Lauretta
at the age of seven months. Mr. Wheel-
er was for some years a Republican, and cast
his first Presidential vote for Abraham Lin-
coln, but in 1874 joined the Prohibition party,
his sympathies being with the advocates of to-
tal abstinence. He is a man of strong convic-
tions, and is governed by principle in all his
actions. He is a member of the Trinity M.
E. Church, and one of its official board. He
has also been a member of the Church choir
for many years, and is always ready to assist
in Church work. In public matters he is a
worthy citizen, and may be counted on to do
his share in whatever is proposed for the wel-
fare and progress of the community.



REV. TERENCE F. KELLY. The
powers of a consecrated life extend far

beyond the reach of the spoken word, setting
at naught all differences of creed, and Rev.
Father Kelly, of St. Joachim's Church, Mattea-
wan, while working quietly in his appointed
sphere, has gained the esteem and regard of
all classes in the community. The history of
this devoted worker will be read with interest,
and will convey its own lesson.

Father Kelly was born in New York City,
December 26, 1855, the son of William and
Ann (Dowling) Kelly, who were natives of
Dublin, Ireland. The father was a carpenter
by trade, following that occupation in the old
country, and, for a short time, in New York
City, but later, on moving to Montreal, Can-
ada, he engaged in mercantile business, in
which he was very successful, owning several



stores. His last days were spent in New York
City, to which place he and his wife returned
when the subject of this sketch was about
eleven years old. They reared a family of
children, among whom was a son, Michael,
who was a mechanical genius, and was famous
throughout the United States for his work in
that line, being employed by the Goulds and
others. He died February i, 1893, at his
residence in Charleston, South Carolina.

Until the age of fourteen Father Kelly at-
tended the public schools of his native city,
and he then entered St. Francis College, in
Brooklyn. A first cousin, Bishop Phelan, of
Kingston, Canada, first awakened in the young
lad's mind the consciousness of his vocation,
and the long course of preparation was pur-
sued by Father Kelly with the same ardor
which has since characterized his pastoral
work. At nineteen he became a student at
St. Lawrence College, Montreal, Canada, and
on May 30, 1878, he was ordained to the
priesthood. Since that time his lot has been
cast in this section, his first appointment being
at Matteawan as assistant pastor to Father
Henry. He had been there about two years
when the Dominican Fathers resigned the
charge of the New York Catholic Protectory,
and Father Ouinn, the Vicar General, ap-
pointed Father Kelly to the post, with an as-
sistant. About a year later came an appoint-
ment to a charge which included Staatsburg,
Hyde Park, and Clinton Corners, and while
there Feather Kelly built churches at Staats-
burg and Clinton Corners, and enlarged and
improved the parsonage at Hyde Park. Six
years after his transfer to this post Archbishop
Corrigan added the care of the parish of Rhine-
cliff, which had become financiallyembarrassed,
and gave Father Kelly two assistants, Fathers
White and Fagan. His present appointment



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 63 of 183)