J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 64 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 64 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


dates from December i, 1890, when he suc-
ceeded Father McSwyggan, and during that
time he has done much to build up and
strengthen his congregation in both numbers
and intluence. In the refurnishing and decor-
ation of the church edifice, and in various im-
provements in the other property of the parish
one may see the results of his wise manage-
ment; but to rightly judge of his work one
must visit the schools where the Sisters of
Charity and the Franciscan Brothers train the
children of the parish, and must view the un-
ceasing labors in the pastorate through which
the spiritual life of the people is quickened and



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



325



developed. Modest and unassuming in man-
ner, and ever ready to give to his efficient
assistants the credit for the work which is
being done, Father Kelly's personality reveals
the quiet strength which unobtrusively yet ef-
fectively inspires, directs, and molds the lives
of all whom his influence touches. By his
people he is greatly beloved, and on the occa-
sion of the fifteenth anniversary of his ordi-
nation they presented him with a handsome
purse, in token of their affectionate ap-
preciation.

Outside of his own fold Father Kelly is
known and honored in a remarkable degree,
and he numbers among his friends Gov. Ntor-
ton of this State. During his stay at Rhine-
cliff he was elected trustee of the local schools,
a fact which speaks more loudly than words
could do of the impression which his worth
makes upon all who know him, and since go-
ing to Matteawan he has been appointed a di-
rector of the village hospital. In his clerical
work Father Kelly is efficiently assisted by Rev.
James A. White and Rev. P. C. Gary.



AMASA DAKIN COLEMAN (deceased),
after whom Goleman Station was named,

and who for a number of years was a leading
agriculturist of the town of Northeast, Dutch-
ess county, was a descendant of one of the old-
est families in this country, the record reach-
ing back to the year 1635. In Hinman's
Catalogue of Early Settlers of Connecticut
we find the following: " Thomas Goleman, of
Marlborough, England, farmer, embarked at
Hampton in the 'James,' of Lundon, about
April. 1635. Thomas Coleman died at Had-
ley, Mass., in 1674. The births of children
are not recorded at Westfield, but Noah and
John are his sons. Noah died at Hadley in
1676." John had sons, Noah and Ebenezer,
who removed to Colchester, Conn., about the
year 1700. Ebenezer married Ruth Niles, of
Colchester, in 1705, and they had a son, Niles,
who had a son, Josiah, born at Hebron, Conn.,
April 4, 1733, who married Elizabeth Root, of
Hebron, November 6, 1755, and removed to
Sharon, Conn., about 1771, and represented
that town in the Legislatures in 1783, 1784
and 1788. He was a farmer by occupation.
On November 6, 1755, he married Elizabeth
Root, of Hebron, and had five sons: Josiah,
who served in the Revolutionary war, died in
Milford, Conn., in 1777; Aaron, a physician at



Warren, Conn.; Elihu; Jesse: and Amasa, our
subject's father. The latter was born in Shar-
on, Conn., March 21, 1772. He was a farmer
at the old homestead there until his death,
which occurred March 23, 1805, when he was
but thirty-two years old, before his fine capa-
bilities had an opportunity for full development.
He was married December 25, 1799, to Achsa
Dakin, who survived him many years, dying
December 2, 1846. She was a daughter of
Caleb Dakin, and a granddaughter of Simon
Dakin, a pioneer settler of Northeast, N. Y.,
who had much to do with the early history of
the town. Of the two children of this mar-
riage, our subject was the vounger. Myra C,
born October 16, 1800, married Gerard Pitch-
er, of Northeast, New York.

Amasa D. Goleman was born June 28.
1S04, at Sharon, but owing to his father's
death, his home from the age of nine months
was with his grandfather, Caleb Dakin. Here
he received a fair education for those times,
in the district schools, and as he possessed
good mental ability and was fond of reading,
he in later years acquired a large fund of in-
formation. He came into the possession of
the Dakin homestead before the death of his
Another, buying out the other heirs, and con-
tinued to cultivate it until his death. This
tract consists of more than 150 acres of land,
and is one of the best in the town. As a
farmer he was very successful, securing his
estate largely through his own efforts. In all
movements for local improvements he was
among the leading supporters, and he was al-
ways greatly interested in the success of the
Republican party, which he joined in the first
years of its existence, having previously been
an ardent Abolitionist. His interest in poli-
tics was wholly unselfish, as he never sought
official preferment. His family had been ad-
herents of the Congregational Church, although
few were Methodists, and it is probable that
his father belonged to that body; but Mr.
Coleman united with the Presbyterian Church
at Amenia. and remained throughout life an ac-
tive and consistent member.

On September 28, 1843, Mr. Goleman
married Miss Elizabeth Rugg, daughter of
Seth Rugg, a prominent resident of New Marl-
boro, Berkshire Co. , Mass. They had two
children, of whom the elder, Josiah, born
July 23; 1848, died July 31, 1872. Elizabeth,
born June 19, 1850, married a Mr. Welsh,
October 8, 1896. Mr. Coleman's death oc-



32(3



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHWAL JiECORD.



curred October 7, 1876, and brought a serious
loss to the community, his excellent judg-
ment, public spirit and manly character hav-
ing gained the esteem and confidence of all
who knew him. His widow passed away
May 12. 1896.



C'APTAIN ISAAC H. WOOD, the well-
Ji known steamboat agent at Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, and the proprietor of the
"Exchange Hotel" of that city, enjoys in a re-
markable degree the esteem and affection of
all classes of people, his heroism as a life-saver
gaining friends for him far and near. He and
his four sons have saved 123 persons from
death by drowning in the Hudson river, and
in recognition of their courage and unselfish
devotion the citizens of Poughkeepsie pre-
sented each of them with a diamond medal a
few years ago, the tokens being of great value
and beauty.

The family originated in Holland, but
Stephen Wood, our subject's grandfather, was
probably born in Dutchess county. He was
for many years a resident of Poughkeepsie,
where he reared a family of five children, of
whom our subject's father, Stephen Wood (2/,
was the only son. He grew to manhood in
Poughkeepsie, and after establishing himself
in business as a shoemaker married Eliza Dis-
brow, a native of New York City, and the
daughter of a leading detective there. This
family is also of old Holland-Dutch stock. On
the breaking out of the Mexican war Stephen
Wood enlisted, and he met his death in the
battle of Buena Vista. His widow survived
him until 1878. Of their three children the
youngest died in infancy, and the eldest, Mary
J., married the late George Valentine, of
Poughkeepsie.

Capt. Wood, the second member of this
family, was born in Poughkeepsie, October 23,
1822, and after passing his boyhood there
went to New York City and lived with an
uncle for some time, and later spent four years
in Yonkers, N. Y. In 1840 he returned to his
native city to make his permanent home. He
started the (irst express business in the place,
known as Wood's Original Express, and then
entered the employ of the American Express
Co. for a time. About 1856 he engaged in
the steamboat business, and is now the agent
for the daily lines of boats. For many years
he has been the proprietor of the "Exchange



Hotel" also, and he has won a high reputation
for business ability.

In 1S54 the Captain formed a matrimonial
union with Miss Maria Rodman, daughter of
William Rodman, a prominent boat builder
and leading Democrat of New York City.
The Rodmans were among the early settlers of
Dutchess county, and were probably of Hol-
land-Dutch descent. Six children were born
of this marriage, and the four sons are all in
business in Poughkeepsie, where they are held
in great esteem as worthy descendants of their
honored father, as well as for their individual
excellence. Edward A. is a machinist by
trade; Rodman H. is in the express business;
George is a commission merchant, and Amarr
is a barber. Of the two daughters, Eliza
married Hiram Wood, a commission merchant
of New York City, and Ida M. (deceased) was
formerly the wife of John Westfall, of Syra-
cuse, New York.

Capt. Wood is an active worker in the
Democratic party; was alderman for one
year, and supervisor of the First ward for
three terms. He has been a leader in the
fire department for many years, serving as
chief engineer for four years and assistant for
three years. He was vice-president of the
Veteran's Dept. , for some time, and is now
the president of the \'eteran Fire Association,
an insurance order. In fraternal societj' work
he has also taken an interest at times, and he
belongs to the. Knights of Pythias, as well as
to other orders of less note.



MORGAN L. MOTT (deceased). "No
man in an unofficial position was more
widely known in this city or county or by the
past and passing generation in the metropol-
itan portion of the State. No man was more
deeply respected w-herever known for his ad-
mirable simplicity of character and sterling
honesty. He was the very embodiment of in-
tegrity. His habits were those of a thoroughly
self-respecting man, and in speech and action
he was irreproachable." These words of well-
deserved praise appeared in a leading journal
of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., concerning the subject
of this memoir at his death, w'hich occurred
April 24, 1891, and to those who knew him
they convey but a faint impression of the
qualities of mind and heart which bound them
to him in the ties of friendship and esteem.
Mr. Mott was of English descent, his an-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGMAPHIC'AL RECORD.



827



cestors being among the followers of the Quaker
faith who found freedom of conscience in this
country at an early period. His father, Will-
iam B. Mott, was a native of Long Island, but
his life was spent mainly in New York City,
where he engaged in mercantile business. He
married Miss Mary Milton, who was born in
that city January 14, 1790, and died at New
Hackensack, the home of her son, Morgan,
November 26, 1894, at the age of 105 years.
Her father, a Hollander by descent, was a man
of great importance and influence during the
rule of Petrus Stuyvesant. Her mother was a
member of the famous Co.x family of Long
Island. Shortly after their marriage, our sub-
ject's parents came to Dutchess county, and
located, in 1813, on a farm in the town of
Hyde Park, where their five children were
born. After a few years they returned to New
York to reside. Their children all settled
there. Jehu was a butcher by occupation;
Mary, the only surviving member of the fam-
ily, married (first) Robert Wilson, a merchant
in New York, and (second) John Francis;
John was a wheelwright; and William B. was
a painter.

Morgan L. Mott, the fourth in order of
birth, was born April 14, 1818, and was only
a few years old when his parents moved to
New York. On leaving school he engaged
in the grocery business, and before many years
became prominent in the Democratic party
there. He was warden at Blackwell's Island
for several years. In 1849 he went to Cali-
fornia with a party, among whom was Senator
Broderick, of New York, who was afterward
assassinated. Mr. Mott was in business in
San Francisco until 1853, during which time
he was active in promoting order, being one
of the first aldermen, and serving for several
months as president of the board and as act-
ing mayor of the city. He also made a trip to
San Diego, and brought back nearly 2,000
horses and cattle. On his return to New York
he conducted a hotel there until 1863, when
he moved to a farm at New Hackensack,
where he spent his remaining years.

Mr. Mott married Miss Jane Mcintosh, a
native of New York City, whose father was a
Scotchman. Of their several children, two
died in childhood; William B., a farmer, died
at the age of forty-five; Morcan L. , Jr., is a
farmer at the old homestead; Edmond died at
fifteen; Robert lives at home, and with his
brother manages the farm; Mary Elizabeth, a



lovely girl of beautiful character, died when
just budding into womanhood. The home
farm is a fine estate of about 200 acres of level
land, beautified by trees, and the buildings and
other improvements speak well for the enter-
prise and good taste of its owners.



LOUIS C. FEIERABEND. Among the
prosperous and popular citizens of foreign

birth who made their homes in Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, will be found the gentleman
whose name introduces this sketch, and who
was born at Wimpfen-on-the-Neckar, Hessen-
Darmstadt, Germany, July 13, 1849.

Jacob Feierabend, grandfather of our sub-
ject, was born at Wimpfen, Hessen-Darmstadt,
Germany, July 4, 1780, and died September
20, 1846; was a farmer by occupation; he
married Johanna Bramminger, who was born
June I, 1786. and died March 20, 1847.

Fredrick Feierabend, father of our subject,
was born April 16, 181 1, also at Wimpfen,
and learned the business of comb-making,
which he followed all his life. On September
6, 1838, he married Miss Eva Christina Hess,
who was born June 20, 1818, at Biebrach
O. A. Heilbrom, Wurttemberg, Germany, and
children, as follows, were born to them: (i)
Christoph F., born February 19, 1840, mar-
ried Miss Louisa C. Weying, of Wimpfen,
December 18, 1866. (2) Christina Johanna,
born February 14, 1841, married Carl Speer,
a locksmith, of Wimpfen, March 14, 1S65.
(3) Christoff Ludwig, born June 6, 1842, died
July 17, 1842. (4) Christina Louise, born
September 10, 1844. (5) Elizabeth Louise,
born October 31, 1846, came to America, Oc-
tober 15, 1872, and married William Kraft, of
Laufen O. A. Heilbrom, W^urttemberg. Ger-
many, April 20, 1874; and (6) Louis Christian,
our subject. The father of this family died
November 19, 1892; the mother is still living.

Louis Feierabend, the subject proper of
this review, learned the comb-making business
with his father, but afterward took up butcher-
ing as an occupation, following same for two
years in Germany. On September i, 1868,
he came to the United States and located in
Poughkeepsie, where he had an aunt living.
Here he worked for various persons in the
butchering business until May i, 1874, when
he started a meat market of his own, on the
corner of Jefferson and Church streets. As a
partner in the concern he received William



328



COMMEMORATTVE BIOORAPEWAL RECORD.



Kraft, which connection lasted until 1877,
when Mr. Feierabend took entire charge. In
1 88 1 he formed a partnership with Charles
Haberman, which continued for four years.
His present partner is William Knauss, and
the firm is well known as an enterprising and
reliable one. They do a large retail business
in meats of all kind, also some wholesaling.

On May 6, 1874, Mr. Feierabend was
united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Miller,
of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., daughter of Valentine
Miller, and four children blessed their union:
Peter C, born August 29, 1875, died July 8,
1896; Louis Frederick, born July 22, 1877;
William Henry, born June 11, 1882; and
Louisa Elizabeth, born March 29, 1885. Mr.
Feierabend has been very successful, finan-
cially, and owes his prosperity solely to his
own hard work and good management. He
came here a poor young man, working at first
for eight dollars a month; to-day he is the
owner of a good business, and much valuable
property, comprising his brick business block
and handsome brick residence, two stores ad-
joining his meat market; and two tenement
houses on Jefferson street. He stands high in
business circles, and is popular with all classes
of people. In politics he has always been a
stanch Republican, and in religious faith is a
member of the German Lutheran Church, in
which he has been a trustee for ten years. As
a loyal citizen he takes an active interest in all
matters of public improvements, and what-
ever is projected, tending to the welfare of the
city and county, receives his ready support.



REV. EDWARD J. CONROY, pastor of
St. Mary's Church, Poughkeepsie, Dutch-
ess county, was born July 10, 1853, in New
York City. , His primary studies were made in
St. Bridget's Parochial school, and his gram-
mar course in the old school on West 24th
street, and in the new school house on West
20th street. In 1866 he entered St. Francis
Xaviers College, West 15th street, and after a
full collegiate course graduated in 1873.

On October 4, 1873, our subject sailed for
Europe on the Cunarder "Batavia," and No-
vember 5th entered the American College, at
Rome, Italy, where, after attending the lec-
tures in the Propaganda four years, he was
raised to the priesthood May 26, 1877. After
several months " doing" Europe, he returned



to America on the then crack Cunarder,
" Russia. "

Rev. Father Conroy's first missionary work
was in the Cathedral on Mott street. New York
(now St. Patrick's Church), and after filling,
temporarily, a few missions was assigned per-
manently to St. Michael's Church, West 32nd
street, under the charge of Rev. Arthur J.
Donnelly, afterward the vicar-general. After
three years' duty in St. Michael's, Father Con-
roy was assigned to St. Monica's, East 79th
street, at that time a new parish under the
charge of Rev. James J. Dougherty. LL. D.
Almost ten years were spent by him in this
new field of labor, when he was assigned to
the rectorship of the Church of St. Francis of
Assissi, Mt. Kisco, N. Y. After the comple-
tion of the church building, which was effected
in five months, he was transferred to the
charge of St. Joseph's Church, Kingston, N. Y.
Three years were spent b}' him in the spiritual
and temporal labor of that parish, about the
end of which time he received word to take up
his present charge, and finish the new church
building that had been commenced under the
administration of Father Earley.

The congregation of St. Mary's was organ-
ized in 1873, when the edifice on Cannon
street, for many years occupied by the Univer-
salists, was purchased. This building, now-
torn down, was erected by the Presbyterians in
1826. The building was purchased for the
Catholics by the Rev. Patrick F. McSweeny,
D. D., then pastor of St. Peter's Church, of
this city, now pastor of St. Brigid's Church,
New York City.

The first pastor of St. Mary's was the Rev.
Edward McSweeny, D. D., now of Mount St.
Mary's College, Emmittsburg, Maryland. The
old building was dedicated by His Grace Arch-
bishop I afterward Cardinal) McCloskey. The
clergymen who assisted the Archbishop were
Rev. John M. Farley, his secretary, now assist-
ant Bishop and Vicar-General of the Archdio-
cese of New York; Rev. Edward McGlynn, D.
D., then of St. Stephen's Church, New York;
Rev. R. L. Burtsell, D. D., now of Rondout;
Rev. P. F. McSweeny, D. D.; Rev. Edward
McSweeny, D. D.; Rev. J. C. McSweeny;
Rev. Patrick Rigney; and Rev. Fathers Shee-
han and Briody.

In 1879, all the church property belonging
to St. Mary's was transferred by the Archbishop
to a corporation, consisting of the Archbishop,
his Vicar General, the pastor, and two laymen.




^^t^i. z^'-^^i'tL.^




.(^-




yT^^/Cl>'^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



329



In iSSo, the pastor, Rev. Edward McSweeny,
being absent in Europe, the Rev. Michael Mc-
Swiggan, then acting pastor of St. Marj-'s, su-
perintended the erection of a new parochial
school, on South Hamilton street, which was
opened in September of that year, with one
hundred pupils. Up to the year iS8i, the
pastor had no regular assistant. In that year,
the Rev. John B. Creeden, now pastor at Sing
Sing, began his mission in the priesthood as
the first assistant pastor of St. Mary's. In
1883, the Decennial was celebrated, and it was
then, after ten years of steady growth, and
prosperity, that the nucleus for a new edifice
was commenced. In 1885, the Rev. Edward
McSween}" resigned from parish work to accept
a professorship in Mt. St. Mary's College, Em-
mittsburg. where he has since been, with the
e.xception of a short time spent in St. Paul,
Minnesota. Then came the Rev. Cornelius
Donovan (since deceased), who acted as pastor
for a short time. On May 13, 1887, the third
pastor of St. Mary's was appointed, the Rev.
Terence J. Earley. It was under the adminis-
tration of Father Earley that the present new
edifice was begun. He labored for four years
with incessant industry, and was then promoted
to the charge of the parish of St. Peter's, at
New Brighton, Staten Island.

The present pastor, the Rev. Edward J.
Conroy, whose portrait appears here, was ap-
pointed pastor of St. Mary's, on April 23, 1891,
and under his management the work of com-
pleting the new church edifice has been brought
to its present satisfactory state. Thus, after
a quarter of a century, the congregation of St.
Mary's takes possession of one of the hand-
somest church edifices in the city.

The general design of the building is of the
Gothic order, of the simple rather than the
ornate style. The principal facade is faced
with Indiana limestone, treated in the rock-
faced order, with just sufificient dressed stone
trimming to relieve the monotony of the gen-
eral rough stone. The front has been e.xtended
to embrace porch and tower entrances, and
from the tower access to the organ and choir
gallery is had by means of a solid ash staircase,
trimmed in cherry. On the choir level, or second
floor of porch, is a choir meeting room, lighted
by a system of small Gothic windows which ex-
tend continuously across the entire front. The
ceilings of the porches, tower, and under side
of organ gallery have been finished in the old
English style of exposed rafter and deep panel-



work. The main church ceiling has been
treated in the open-work type of truss, the sur-
faces between trusses laid off in deep panels,
diagonally sheathed and heavily molded. Each
truss is finished with cherry-molded tracery
work, and bracketed cornice. The aisle ceil-
ings are treated to match main roof, but of a
more simple style. The entire body of the
church has been wainscoted nearly six feet
high with Gothic panel work, in combination
of cherry and white wood, with neat molded
capping and base. The columns are wains-
coted to match the walls, as also the face of
the gallery. The entire floor surface of the
church has been laid, first with one and one-
eighth-inch white pine flooring, and on top of
this a two-inch thick floor of the best clear
long-leaf, comb-grain Georgia pine.

The plaster work of the church is one of its
principal merits. It is done in a pearl gray
tint stucco plaster, tracery moldings over all
windows and other openings, as well as over
the interior arches. The iron columns were
first encased in fire-proof clay tile, and the
finished plaster work then applied. Each
column is surmounted by an ornate Corinthian
capital, from which the clere-story arches
spring in succession. Owing to the large num-
ber and size of the windows, it was deemed
advisable not to assume the expense at this
time of ornamental figured windows in leaded
glass work, and for this economic reason the
windows have been temporarily glazed with
plain amber-tinted glass of several shades, the
foliated tracery work of the upper parts being
treated in brighter color effects. The building
is heated by steam by means of handsome
radiators. The gas fixtures, of polished brass,
are very handsome, and the gas is lighted from
an electric battery placed under the gallery.
Any required number of the fixtures may be
lighted, one, a dozen, or the entire comple-
ment, as may be desired — by a simple turn of
the battery crank. There are over three hun-
dred lights in the church. Taken in its entirety,
the Church of St. Mary's, so near to completion,
is a grand tribute to the untiring zeal and
ability of its pastor. Rev. Edward J. Conroy.



STEPHEN A. PERKINS, a well-known
_ merchant, holds a leading place among the
enterprising and prominent men of Poughkeep-
sie, where his birth occurred May i, 1846,
having always identified himself with its inter-



330



COMMEWORATfVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ests. He belongs to a family of English or-
igin, whose members mostly belonged to the
Reformed Dutch Church. His paternal grand-
father, Warren Perkins, was a farmer of the



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 64 of 183)