J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 65 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 65 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

town of New Paltz, Ulster Co., N. Y. , and
his family included two sons: Alexander VV. ,
the father of our subject; and Stephen, a car-
riage maker, of Washington. Pennsylvania.

The former was born March i, 1818, upon
a farm in the town of New Paltz, Ulster coun-
ty, where the first seventeen or eighteen years
of his life were passed. He then came to the
town of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, and
entered into agricultural pursuits, which he
has followed, with very few years exception,
his entire life; he has held several town offices.
He enjoys in a marked degree the confidence
and esteem of his neighbors; his vote al-
ways being cast with the Democratic party.
He was twice married, his first wife, the
mother of Stephen A. Perkins, was in her
maidenhood Miss Rebecca M. Ackerley, a na-
tive of the town of Poughkeepsie, where her
father, Lemuel Ackerley, engaged in farming.
She was of English lineage, and was called to
her reward in 1856. By her marriage she be-
came the mother of six children: Jacob A., a
business man of Poughkeepsie, who is inter-
ested with our subject in the ice business; Syl-
vester, who was a carpenter, of Pine Plains,
Dutchess county, and died in November, 1S93;
Stephen A., of this sketch; Jane A., who be-
came the wife of J. L. Donaldson, of Ulster
county, who died in March, 1894; Elizabeth
H., who died unmarried; and William J., a
resident of Poughkeepsie, who is interested
with our subject in the coal business.

Upon a farm about three miles outside the
city limits of Poughkeepsie, Stephen A. Per-
kins grew to manhood, attending the dis-
trict schools of the neighborhood, and finished
his education at the Dutchess County Acad-
emy. P'or one year he was then employed as
teacher of a district school, after which he
learned the carpenter's trade, following that
occupation for about five years. He next be-
came connected with the Poughkeepsie &
Eastern railroad, serving in a number of differ-
ent capacities for about eighteen years. In
1888, in connection with his brother Jacob A.,
he entered into the ice business, leasing the
Morgan Lake. He conducted this business
very successfully and made many friends for
himself and brother. In May, 1894, he formed
a co-partnership with his brother, William J.

Perkins, and Herman King in the coal trade,
under the firm name of Perkins, King & Co.
They now do a flourishing business, their
courteous treatment of customers, and upright,
honorable dealings, having won them a liberal

In 1875 ^Ir. Perkins was married, the lady
of his choice being Miss Charlotte Holmes,
who was born in the town of Pleasant \'alley,
Dutchess county, and is a daughter of George
Holmes, also a native of that county, and a
farmer and merchant by occupation. He died
about 1886. One child blesses the union of
our subject and his wife: Bertram R. , who is
now a dentist by profession. They are mem-
bers and contribute to the support of the Pres-
byterian Church, while socially, Mr. Perkins
is a prominent member of the Masonic Order,
and politically votes the Democratic ticket.

_ practically living retired in the village of
Stissing, Dutchess county, was for a quarter of
a century a prominent merchant of the place.
The Ambler family, of which he is a worthy
representative, was founded in America during
its early history. The first to locate in New
England was Richard Ambler, who was born
in Somersetshire, England, in 1609, and was
one of twenty-four men who organized the
town of Watertown, Conn., taking deed for
the same from the Indians, and he became a
leading resident of that town. He was twice
married, and became the father of three chil-
dren: Sarah, Abram and Abraham. His death
occurred in 1699. Of his family, Abraham,
who was a Baptist minister in Bedford. Conn.,
was born in 1642, and he was also twice mar-
ried, his union with Mary Bates being cele-
brated in 1662; they made their home in Stam-
ford, Conn. Their son John was born in 1668,
and in his family were three children: John,
Stephen and Martha. The birth of John Am-
bler, of this family, occurred at Stamford,
Conn., in 1695, and he became a resident of
Danbury, in the same State, where he died.
By his will he bequeathed his gun and sword
to his only son, John. He was the father of
seven children: John, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary,
Martha, Anna and Rachel. The only son was
born in 1733, and died October 21, 1814. By
his marriage with Huldah Fairchild he had eight
children: Peter, Squire, Stephen, Gilead,
Diodote, Silas, Huldah and Deborah. The



father of tliese was sergeant of a company of
lOO men raised in Danbury, May 17, 1775,
which joined the 6th regiment, commanded by
Col. David Waterbury.

Peter Ambler, of the above family, was the
grandfather of our subject. He was born at
Danbury, Conn., September 20, 1759, and
there continued to engage in farming through-
out life, owning the land on which the Dan-
bury fair is now held. During the Revolution-
ary war he served as artificer in the Colonial
army, and later took a prominent part in pub-
lic affairs, being a member of the State Legis-
lature for one term. He held membership
with the Baptist Church, in which he served
as deacon, and died in that faith March 7,
1836. On October 21, 1784, he had married
Miss Hannah Shove, who was born October
27, 1 76 1, and was the daughter of Deacon
Benjamin and Sarah Shove, and their family
included the following children: Fairchild,
Benjamin. David, Thomas, Joseph, Silas,
Sarah, Rachel and Hannah. The mother of
these died April 22, 1S43.

Rev. Silas Ambler, Baptist minister, father
of our subject, was born at Danbury, Conn. ,
March 12, 1798. He was married August 29,
1822, to Miss Eunice D. Olmstead, who was
born October 28, 1800, at Wilton, Conn., and
died October 3. 1892, at Stanford, N. Y.
They had a family of seven children: Samuel
H., our subject; Mary E., who makes her
home in Greene county, N. Y. , is the widow
of Ezekial Griffin; Augustus, born April 19,
1829, died April 22, 1852; Catherine, born
May 23, 1 83 1, is the widow of Levi Boyce, of
Greeneville, N. Y. ; Sarah, born January 31,
1835, is the wife of Henry Ivnickerbocker, of
Bangall, N. Y. ; Emeline. who was born April
6, 1837, and died April 3, 1869, was the wife
of Charles Sheldon, now deceased; and John
P., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere. The
father was for a time a minister in the Baptist
Church, having charge of congregations at
Cornwall and Norfolk, Conn., but in 1840, on
account of ill health, he gave up preaching and
located upon a farm in the town of Stanford.
Dutchess Co., X. Y., near Stissing, which is
now owned by our subject. He there spent
his remaining days, dying November 22, 1857,
honored and respected by all.

The birth of Mr. Ambler, the subject of
this review, occurred at Danbury, Fairfield
Co., Conn. , June 3. 1824, but most of his early
life was passed at Norfolk, in the same State,

where he attended school and remained a
member of the parental household until his
marriage, March 20, 1851, in the town of
Stanford, Dutchess county, to Miss Olive
Boyce, a daughter of Jacob and Olive fMorse)
Boyce. To our subject and wife have come
the following children: Franklin A., born De-
cember 31, 1856, died at San Jose, Cal., June
II, 1884; he had married Hattie Vassar
(daughter of John E. Vassarj, by whom he
had two children — Alice May and Edward
Vassar. Emma D. was born May 20, 1858.
Asa T. , born March i, i860, wedded Mary
Deuell, and they have two children — Chester
Franklin and Olive Martha. Charles, born
February 2, 1S64, married Elizabeth \'ande-
water. Alfred Silas, born November 25, 1867,
is now the medical superintendent of the
Kingston Avenue Hospital, at Brooklvn. New

For twenty years after his marriage. Mr.
Ambler engaged in agricultural pursuits, but in
1870 he sold his farm, as he had been ap-
pointed agent on the N. D. & C. R. R.. and
erected a store building at Stissing. where he
was engaged in general merchandising for
twenty-five years, which store is now
ducted b}' his sons. Charles and Asa T.
was made postmaster of the village, and
served as agent for the P. & E. R. R.
politics, Mr. Ambler casts his ballot is support
of the men and measures of the Republican
party, and has held the office of e.xcise commis-
sioner. For forty years he has been a member
of the Baptist Church, at Bangall, and his
genial, social nature makes him a popular


LFRED ALLENDORF (deceasedj was
.^^ born September 17, 1829, a son of Philip
and Elizabeth (Stickle) Allendorf, prosperous
farming people of the town of Red Hook,
Dutchess county.

After completing his literary education Mr.
Allendorf began his mercantile career as a
clerk, and gradually worked his way upward.
At the close of a few years of preparatory
labor in this line, he left the firm by whom he
was employed, and established a general mer-
chandise store at Upper Red Hook, which
they conducted some three years, then coming
to Red Hook, they opened a store under the
firm name of Conkling & Allendorf, which ven-
ture proved highly successful. Through hon-



orable and upright dealing they soon gained
the confidence of the public, which they suc-
ceeded in holding for over twenty years, at
the end of which time the partnership was dis-
solved, Mr. Ailendorf taking the store and Mr.
Conkling the lumber and coal business.

On October ii. 1854, our subject was mar-
ried to Miss Catherine A. Shook, \\\\o was
born July 6, 1830, at the old homestead of the
Shook family, where her father was engaged
in farming. Two daughters blessed this union:
(i) Nellie S., born at Red Hook, February 28,
1856, who became the wife of Silas S. Schoon-
maker, October 30, 1878, and they now re-
side at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. ; they have one
child — A. Ailendorf, born January 14, 1880.
(2) Fannie L. , born at Red Hook, April 27,
i860, married Charles B. Hoffman, and they
have two children — Bessie C, born November
II, 1881 ; and£. Marjorie, born May 15, 1885.
Mrs. Schoonmaker and Mrs. Hoffman received
their primary educations at the schools of Red
Hook, completing their studies at the De-
Garmo Institute, Rhinebeck.

John Shook, the father of Mrs. Ailendorf,
was also a native of the town of Red Hook,
where his entire life, was devoted to agricult-
ural pursuits. He wedded Miss Nellie Shoe-
maker, daughter of George Shoemaker, of
Red Hook, and they became the parents of the
following children: George Adam, born May

3, 1803, was educated for the ministry of the
Reformed Dutch Church, at Carlisle, but ow-
ing to ill-health was prevented from accepting
a call, and died in 1836; Anna Maria, born
March 18, 1805, became the wife of Moses
Ring; Cornelia, born June 22, 1807, married
Lewis Elseffer; Helen, born September 20,
1809, wedded Everet Traver; Aaron, born Sep-
tember 6, 181 I, married Catharine Cramer;
Gertrude C, born December 21, 1813, re-
mained single; Walter, born April 4, 18 16,
married Eliza A. Allenford; Alonzo, born May

4, 1818, died in infanc}-; Archibald, born Julv
24, 1820, wedded Elizabeth Lamoree; Ale.\-
ander, born October 6, 1822, married Clar-
issa Squires; John A., born July 3. 1825, mar-
ried Frances Lathrop; and Catherine A. (wile
of our subject) completed the family.

The integrity of Mr. Ailendorf stands as
an unquestioned fact in his history — endowed
by nature with a sound judgment and an accu-
rate, discriminating mind, he did not fear the
labprious attention to business so necessary to
achieve success. This essential quality was

ever guided by a sense of right which would
tolerate the employment only of the means
that would bear the most rigid examination,
by a fairness of intention that neither sought
nor required disguise. He was a thorough
Christian, a devout member of the Lutheran
Church, and was prominently identified with
the Masonic fraternity and the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, being at the time of
his death one of the members of Christian
Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Red Hook.

JJA The family of which the subject of this
sketch is a distinguished representative orig-
inated in England, where it has held an hon-
ored position from an early period, its coat of
arms bearing the motto, "In liniiinc luce",
being an interesting reminder of the olden time.
The head of the American branch. Anthony
Thompson, came to this country with his wife,
two children and two brothers, John and Will-
iam, in the company of Governor Eaton, Rev.
Mr. Davenport and others of Coventry, Eng-
land, arriving at Boston, June 26, 1637, ac-
cording to Winthrop's Journal, or July 23,
1637, as stated by Cotton Mather. Like
many other dissenters from the Church of Eng-
land at that day, they sought in the New
World freedom to worship in accordance with
their own faith, and relief from the persecu-
tions and burdensome ta.xation which were
their lot in their native land. The party led by
Messrs. Da\enporl and Eaton had a larger pro-
portion of wealthy and energetic men than any
other which had arrived up to that time, and
several towns made tempting offers to the
emigrants, but it was Quinipiac, or New Hav-
en, that was finally decided upon as a location.
Anthony Thompson signed the Colony Con-
stitution June 4, 1639, and all ihe brothers
soon secured farms in the vicinity. John's
estate at New Haven, where he died Decem-
ber II, 1674, is said to be still in the posses-
sion of some of his numerous descendants.
Anthony and William resided at New Haven.
Anthony died March 23, 1647, and left a large
estate, which was divided under his will be-
tween his six children and his second wife.
His original purchase and the house thereon
was given to his son John, and the lands after-
ward acquired, to Anthony, Jr., while with the
exception of a certain sum to his daughter
Bridget, a child of his first wife, on condition



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 65 of 183)