J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 7 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 7 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


mitted to the bar while at Storm Lake, and
returning to the East he taught at Berwick
and Academia, Penn., as principal of the
academies there. In 1879 he was admitted
to the bar at Brooklyn, N. Y. , and practiced
for a short time. He then resumed teaching,
and was principal of the schools at Greenville,
N. Y., and Monroe, La., and of Leslie
Academy, in Poughkeepsie. For the last ten
years he has been a successsful private tutor
at Poughkeepsie, giving thorough preparation
for college to a large number of students.

Prof. Odell was married in November,
1875, to Miss Clara A. Page, of Schenectady.
They have no children. He has done some
valuable literary work, having been a regular



contributor to the Poughkeepsie Kagh-, and in
former years having furnished numerous ar-
ticles on various topics to other papers and
periodicals.

He is also the author of a work on English
Grammar, and one on Geometry as applied to
surveying. His learned acquirements include
many languages, ancient and modern; and, as
to proficiency in matters purely scholastic, he
has few superiors. He is remarkably efficient
as a teacher, and many now successful young
men can gratefully attribute the beginning of
their ascent to his wise and helpful instruction
and advice.

Prominent among those who have rendered
assistance in collecting the above facts con-
cerning the Odell family, is Mr. Rufus King,
of Yonkers, N. Y. , who is an experienced
genealogist, whose mother was an Odell, and
whose father's family, for several generations,
has taken a leading place in State and National
politics. There are numerous Odells whose
connection with this family cannot be estab-
lished with the facts at hand. Whether they
are of a difl'erent origin, or are offshoots who
have lost the proofs of connection with this
line, seems difficult of determination.



^ON. STORM EMANS. Among the early
comers from Holland to this countrj'
were the ancestors of the Emans family, so
well and favorably known in this section.
They came about the time of the Huguenot
immigration, and located for the most part in
New England, some of their descendants, how-
ever, becoming pioneer settlers in Dutchess
county.

There is ground for belief that James
Emans, our subject's great-grandfather, was
born in Dutchess county, and it is at least
certain that he spent the greater part of his
life in what is now the town of East Fishkill,
where he obtained a grant of 137 acres of land
from Madame Brett, which tract is still in the
possession of the family, having never been
alienated. Here James Emans followed farm-
ing until his death. He and his wife reared
a family of eight children, of whom the four
sons — Cornelius (who died in 1849), James.
John and Hendrick — all engaged in farming.
Of the daughters, Elizabeth and Catherine
never married; Ann was the wife A Samuel
Betty, a farmer, and Margaret married John
Miller, also a farmer. John Einans, our sub-



32



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ject's grandfather, married Abby Way, and
settled at the old homestead where he passed
his life. Five children were born to him:
Albert, who died in 1895, was a farmer in the
town of Lagrange, and also engaged in freight-
ing and speculating; James C. is a farmer in
East Fishkill; John S. is mentioned more fully
below; George (deceased) was a prominent
farmer in Lagrange; and Charles W. is also
an agriculturist in East Fishkill.

John S. Emans, the father of our subject,
was born in 1824, and grew to manhood at
the old homestead. He engaged in agricult-
ure there, taking also a keen interest in public
affairs and holding a prominent place in that
locality. Although he was not a lawyer, his
mind was of a judicial cast, and he was very
often called upon to try cases and advise in
legal controversies. He was a justice of ses-
sions for some time, represented his town re-
peatedly on the county board of supervisors,
and was one of the three excise commissioners
of Dutchess county. In his political views he
was a Democrat, and he was elected many
years ago on that ticket to the State Legisla-
ture. A man of commanding influence, he
left a memory which is a cherished legacy
among his descendants. He married Eliza
Storm, a member of an old and highly re-
spected family, and a daughter of Garret
Storm, of East Fishkill. The Emans family
have been members of the Reformed Church
from a very early period, and our subject's
parents were both active and faithful adher-
ents. The father died September i, 1877,
the mother on May 26, 1S82. Of their five
children, the first and third, Catherine and
Abby C, died in early youth; Albert S. is a
merchant at Gayhead, in the town of East
Fishkill; and Lillian married Dr. Leslie A.
Sutton.

Storm Emans, the fourth member of this
family, was born at the old homestead, June
12, 1856, and after attending the neighboring
district schools for some years went to Pough-
keepsie for a course in Bishop's Select School,
but ill health compelled him to give up his
studies sooner than he intended. After leav-
ing this school he learned telegraphy, and fol-
lowed it five years at Matteawan, Millerton
and Millbrook, operating a private line for the
president of the Dutchess & Columbia rail-
road. He then went to Saratoga Springs,
N. Y.. where he met the president of the At-
lantic & Pacific Telegraph Co., and was ap-



pointed to open and take charge of the office
at Newburgh; but he remained in that position
only a short time, owing to the death of his
father. Returning to his old home, he was
chosen, in 1S77, to fill his father's une.xpired
term as justice of the peace, and in 1881-82 -
86-87 he served on the board of supervisors,
and was chairman of various committees. In
1883 he was a member of the State Assembly,
having been elected to the office in the First
Assembly District of Dutchess county, and in
1890 he was appointed index clerk of that
body; from 1891 to 1894 he held the office of
clerk of Dutchess county. At present he is
secretary and treasurer of the Mitchell Heater
Co., and his time is devoted to that business
and the management of his farms.

On January 26, 18S1, Mr. Emans was
united in marriage with Miss Alice A. Water-
bury, daughter of William Waterbury, a promi-
nent hardware merchant of Saratoga Springs,
and they have one son, Storm Waterbury, born
May 22, 18S3.



E EDWARD HAZEN PARKER, son of Hon.
^ Isaac and Sarah (Ainsworth) Parker, was

born in the city of Boston, Mass., in 1823.

Dr. Parker graduated from Dartmouth
College in 1846, and received his medical
degree from Jefferson Medical College in 1848.
In the same year he was appointed lecturer
on Anatomy and Physiology at Bowdoin Med-
ical College, and for the following nine years
was editor of the "New Hampshire Medical
Journal." In 1853 Dr. Parker was called to
the chair of Physiology and Pathology in the
New York Medical College, and associated
himself in practice with Dr. Fordyce Barker
in New York City. He
lished the "New York
which he continued to
many years with great
In 1854 he received the degree of A. M. from
Trinity College. In 1S58, as the result of
overwork. Dr. Parker had serious trouble with
his eyes, necessitating his removal from the
city, and in the out-door life of a country
practice to seek the recovery of his health.
He came to Poughkeepsie, where, as a general
practitioner and consultant, he practiced his
profession for nearly forty years. He was
elected president of the New "V'ork State Med-
ical Society in 1862, and in the same year,
and in the succeeding one, went to the front



at this time estab-

Medical Monthly,"

edit personally for

ability and success.




^^^^.^^



UOMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



33



as a volunteer surgeon in the service of New
York State.

The Doctor was one of the trustees of, and
visiting surgeon to, St. Barnabas Hospital
from its opening, until it was closed in 1887.
In 1887 he was appointed visiting surgeon to
\'assar Brothers' Hospital, and elected presi-
dent of the medical board. Dr. Parker died
November 10, 1896. He was twice married.
His first wife, Sarah (Heyderk), died in 1880,
leaving three daughters and one son, Dr.
Harry Parker, all of whom are living. In
1883 he married Jeannie C. Wright, who with
one son survives her husband.

Dr. Parker was a physician of signal com-
petency and skill, and as a surgeon he had few
superiors. He was a man of very fine fibre,
of unusual cultivation, and of high scholarly
attainments. His classical education was
sound and liberal, his sympathies most acute,
and he was also possessed of a fine poetical
talent, which in his busy life, were less fre-
quently exercised than his friends could have
desired. The poem, a single verse of which is
given below, was composed by Dr. Parker in
1 879. It applies most fittingly to his life, which
was marked through the long years of his de-
votion to his work by a conspicuous purity of
character, great unselfishness and self sacrifice.

"Life's race well run;
Life's work all done;
Life's victory won;

Now Cometh rest."



CHARLES WALSH, the well-known editor
of the Amenia Times, is conducting this
paper with signal ability and success, and
holds a prominent position among the jour-
nalists of Dutchess county.

Mr. Walsh was born at Futtegarh, India,
March 14, 1854, but is descended from a well-
known New York family of Irish ancestry.
William Walsh, his paternal grandfather, was
a native of Newburgh, N. Y. , and in later
years was president of the Bank of Newburgh;
he died there in 1847.

Rev. John Johnston Walsh, the father of
our subject, was born at Newburgh, Orange
county, in 1820, received his classical educa-
tion at Union College, class of '39, and later
graduated at the Princeton Theological Semi-
nary. At the age of twenty-one, he went to
India as a Presbyterian missionary, and there
faithfully served for twenty-eight years. On

account of cataract of the eve, he returned to
3



America, where he found that it was incur-
able, and subsequently for three years was
pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Miller-
ton, N. Y. He wrote and published the
" Martyred Missionaries," a memorial to those
massacred during the Sepoy rebellion in 1857,
at which time he was on a trip to the United
States to leave his children to be educated.

At Fishkill, N. Y., in 1841, Rev. Mr.
\\'alsh was married to Miss Emma Brett, a
daughter of Henry Brett; she is still living,
making her home at Newburgh, N. Y., but
her husband died at Amenia in 1884. Henry
Brett was a direct descendant of Francis Rom-
bout, proprietor of the famous Rombout Pat-
ent. The only child and heiress of Francis
Rombout was Katrina, who married Lieut.
Roger Brett, of the English navy. Lieut.
Brett, dying in early manhood, left his wife
with the management of a large estate, which
she conducted with marked ability. The
name of Madame Brett is a noted one in the
early annals of Dutchess count}' history; she
died at an advanced age, leaving a goodly
number of descendants.

Although born in India, our subject was
educated in the public schools of New-
burgh, and at the Newburgh Academy, pre-
paring for college at Cornwall-on-the-Hud-
son. For four years he was then engaged
in the drug business at Newburgh and New
York City. In 1876 he purchased a half
interest in the Amenia Times, which was
established in 1852, and in 1878 bought out
his partner, William L. De Lacey. He then
conducted the paper alone until 18S8, when
he sold a fourth interest to Theron Griffin, who
has been connected with the office for thirty
years. It is a bright, spicy paper, well edited
and non-partisan in politics. On July i,
1895, Mr. Walsh also purchased the Pawling
Chronicle, which he has since greatly enlarged
and improved.

On April 8, 1890, at Amenia, Mr. Walsh
was married to Miss Georgia A. Thompson,
daughter of Hon. George Thompson, Judge of
the City Court of Brooklyn, N. Y'. , and they
now reside at their pleasant home in Amenia.
Mrs. Walsh belongs to the old Dutchess coun-
ty family of Thompsons, who migrated from
Connecticut in 1750.

Mr. Walsh has always been an ardent
Democrat in politics, and was appointed post-
master at Amenia in August, 1893. He has
proved a popular and capable official, and sue-



84



COMMEMORATTVIC BTOaRAPMICAL RECORD.



ceeded in having the office changed to the
third class December 27, 1894. Socially, he
belongs to Amenia Lodge No. 672. F. & A. M.,
and to the Royal Arch Chapter, Poughkeepsie,
and the Royal Arcanum. He is also con-
nected with Amenia Grange. He takes an
active part in the work of the Presbyterian
Church of Amenia, of which he is a consistent
member, and is at present serving as superin-
tendent of the Sunday-school.



JEREMIAH S. PEARCE, the present sher-
iff of Dutchess county, and a well-known
citizen of Poughkeepsie, was born August
28, 1837, in the town of Pawling, Dutchess
county. The Pearce family is of Welsh ex-
traction, and the father and grandfather of
our subject were of the same nativity as
himself.

Henry Pearce, the grandfather, married
Miss I'iebecca Birdsill, who was born in Dutch-
ess county, and they settled on a farm in the
town of Pawling. In politics he was a Whig,
and both he and his wife were members of the
Methodist Church.' Five children were born
to them: Nathaniel (who was made assessor
of his township), Sally, Rebecca, Amie and
Benoni.

Benoni Pearce, the father of our subject,
was reared on the old home farm, and married
Miss Mary Ann Stark, who was born in the
town of Dover, Dutchess county, a daughter
of Benoni Stark, a farmer of that town. After
their marriage they settled on a farm, and
there reared a famil}' of seven children, as
follows: Henry is a physician in Pawling;
Lillius H. married A. J. Brown, a farmer in
Yates county, N. Y. ; Jeremiah S. is our sub-
ject; James S. is a druggist and undertaker in
Pawling; Charles W. resides in New York
City; Elizabeth married John Gelder, a farmer
in Yates county, N. Y. ; and Edwin died in
1877. In 1849 the family removed to Yates
counts', where the father carried on farming
until his death in 1893. He was a Whig, later
a Republican, and at one time was captain in
the State militia. Both parents were members
of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Jeremiah S. Pearce, whose name opens
this sketch, spent his boyhood days on the
farm in Pawling, attending the district school
until about fourteen years of age, when the
parents removed to Yates county. He was
twenty-two years old when the Civil war



broke out, and the same year, 1861, he en-
listed in Company I, 33d N. Y. V. I., and
was sent to Washington. Being taken ill,
however, he was discharged. This did not
dampen his ardor, and as soon as convalescent
and able for duty, he re-enlisted, in the spring
of 1862. this time in the 128th N. Y. V. I.,
being commissioned second lieutenant. In
I S63 he was made first lieutenant, and the
following year was promoted to the rank of
captain of Company B. He served throughout
the entire war, and was mustered out July 12,
1865, during which time he participated in
many important battles, among them those of
Cedar Creek, Winchester, Fisher's Hill, and
was in the Shenandoah Valley with Gen.
Sheridan, besides taking part in minor skir-
mishes, etc. In all these years of fighting he
was so fortunate as to escape without a wound.
At the close of the war Mr. Pearce returned
to Pawling, and for a number of years was en-
gaged in various occupations. On September
8, 1875, he was married to Miss Elizabeth
Chase, who was born in Pawling, and is a
daughter of Darius Chase, a station agent on
the Harlem Road railway. They have two
children, Carrie L. and Charles D. Mr.
Pearce is a Republican and prominent in his
party; served several terms as supervisor of
Pawling, and twelve terms as assessor. In
I 894 he was elected sheriff of Dutchess county,
in which office he is giving satisfaction to the
public by the faithful and judicious discharge
of its responsible duties. He is a public-
spirited man. believes in progress, and is inter-
ested in all projects for the growth and devel-
opment of the county and State. He and his
wife are liberal supporters of the Methodist
Episcopal Church, and are highly esteemed
citizens.



T'ELLINGTON C. LANSING, secretary
and city editor of the Poughkeepsie
Enterprise, is a native of New York City,
where he was born June 20, 1855.

Richard E. Lansing, father of our subject,
was born in the town of Hyde Park, Dutchess
Co., N. Y. , January 30, 1830, and there spent
his early boyhood, going to school and work-
ing upon the farm. Later he moved to Prince-
ton, N. J., and clerked in a store, from there,
after his first marriage, removing to New York
City, where he clerked in a dry-goods store.
In 1859 he came to Poughkeepsie, and for ten



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



35



years was engaged in the grocery business at
No. 1 6 Washington street, being the leading
grocer of his time. He is now, and has been
for the past twenty years, in the real-estate
and insurance businesses at the same location.
In religious circles he is quite prominent, and
has been a director and vice-presideait of the
Y. M. C. A. ; is a trustee of the Old Ladies'
Home and of the Old Men's Home; is one of
the organizers and the first superintendent of
Cherry Street Chapel, and is a deacon and
trustee of the Baptist Church; is also a director
of the Poughkeepsie Lyceum. Politically, he
is a Republican, and has served as city treas-
urer of Poughkeepsie, also alderman of the
Third ward, and was a candidate for mayor.

Richard E. Lansing has been twice mar-
ried, first time in 1851 to Miss Emily Welling,
by whom there was one child, W^ellington C. ,
our subject. This wife was afflicted with heart
disease, and thrice before she was five years
old was laid out for burial, her death finally
occurring May 17, 1863, when she was thirty-
one years old. Her mother is still living at
the advanced age of ninety-five years. In
September, 1876, Mr. Lansing, for his second
wife, married Miss Sarah Hull, a daughter of
Thomas Hull, by which union there is no issue.

Garrett P. Lansing, grandfather of our
subject, was born in Hyde Park, Dutchess
county, in 1790, a son of Peter Lansing, who
died at Hyde Park at the age of ninety-eight
years. Garrett P. was married to Miss Melinda
G. Husted, by whom he had fourteen children,
seven of whom are living, all now over fifty
years old. They are: William H., of Troy,
X. v.; George E. ; Lewis L. , of Minneapolis;
James F., Richard E., Garrett P., Jr., and
Margaret J., of Poughkeepsie. Mr. Lansing
was a cabinet maker by trade, and also carried
on farming. In politics he was a Democrat,
and at one time was collector of the town of
Hyde Park. He served in the war of 1812.
His death occurred January 7, 1847.

The maternal great-grandfather of Welling-
ton C. Lansing was one of the original Nine
Partners, who at one time owned nearly all of
Dutchess count}'.

Wellington C. Lansing, our subject, spent
his early life in the public schools of Pough-
keepsie, and later attended the Classical and
Scientific Institute of Hightstown, N. J. He
was married in Catskill, N. Y., May 17, 1877,
to Miss Mary D. Bogardus, who is a lineal
descendant, like himself, of Anneke Jans, who



owned the Trinity Church property in New
York City. To Mr. and Mrs. Lansing the fol-
lowing children have been born: Sarah Emil}',
who died when eight years old; Charles A.,
born November 7, 1S79; Irene E., born Feb-
ruary 19, 1S81; Bertha D., born August 12,
1882; May B., born May 11, 1886.

Mr. Lansing was employed in the Eagle
office until 1882, when he and Edward Van-
Keuren bought the paper called the Dutchess
Fanner, an agricultural weekly, which they
conducted until June, 1883, at which time
they formed a partnership with Derrick Brown,
who was then editor of the Poughkeepsie ^Vi-zi'.?,
and they formed a new company, Mr. Brown
becoming editor-in-chief, and Mr. Lansing
city editor, while the name of the paper was
changed to the Evening and VVeek/j Enter-
prise. In 1892 the paper was bought by a
company of Cleveland Democrats, and the
above firm runs the paper for it. Mr. Brown
is now business manager and treasurer, and
editor-in-chief, and Mr. Lansing is secretary
and city editor.

Our subject at one time was prominent in
firemen's circles, and was president of Davy
Crockett Hook and Ladder Co. No. i. He is
past chancellor of Armor Lodge, K. of P., of
Poughkeepsie, and past district deputy of the
same order; was vice-president of the Y. M.
C. A., which office he has held two terms;
has been superintendent of the Baptist Sun-
day-school; president of the Y. P. S. C. E. ;
president of the Baptist Boys Brigade, and
president of the Young Men's Mutual Improve-
ment Association. In principle he is a Prohi-
bitionist, but votes independently.



€OLVIN CARD, editor and proprietor of the
_' Millerton Telegram, the leading paper of
the northeastern portion of Dutchess county,
is one of the most prominent of the younger
men of that region, and one who has without
doubt a fine future before him. His grand-
father, Eason Card, was an early settler upon
the Livingston estate in the town of Ancram,
Columbia county, and his father, Eason H.
Card, was born there in 1 826, in early life
coming to Dutchess county and engaging in
farming in the town of Northeast. In 1863
he returned to his native county, and for eight
years was engaged in mercantile business and
farming at Scotchtown Mills. In 1S72 he
purchased a farm of 500 acres of land near



36



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHIGAL RECORD.



Boston Corners, and has since resided there,
being one of the principal farmers of that
vicinity. In public affairs he is prominent
also, taking an active part in the work of the
Democratic organization, and serving for many
years as justice of the peace. He is a leading
member of the Presbyterian Church at Ancram
Lead Mines. In 1856 he married Dorcas
Decker, a daughter of Everett Decker, and
they have two children: Adelbert, born August
28, 1858; and Colvin, our subject. The mother
died in 1892; the father is still living on the
old farm.

The subject of our sketch was born July
20, 1 866, in the town of Northeast, on a farm
near Boston Corners, and he was educated
mainly in the common schools, with some ex-
cellent practical finishing touches in the office
of the Millerton Telegram. At the age of
nineteen years he left the home farm and
taught school for ten years, being principal of
the Millerton public schools for four years.
After two years at Irondale he returned to Mil-
lerton for one year, and in March, 1889, he
bought the V^an Scriver interest in The Tele-
gram, and continued the paper under the firm
name of Deacon & Card until February 15,
1 89 1, when he became the sole proprietor.
Since his connection with the paper it has in-
creased in circulation from 480 subscribers to
1,108, and has become the principal paper in
the locality. In politics Mr. Card himself is
a Democrat, but his paper is independent.
He is an energetic, enterprising young man,
and finds time to conduct some profitable real
estate transactions, and to carry on a success-
ful auction business in partnership with W. D.
McArthur. Always loyal to the interests of
the village, he is active and influential in local
politics; has been town clerk for two terms,
and is now a member of the board of educa-
tion. Socially he is also prominent, being an
active member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and a leader in the choir, and he also
belongs to Webatuck Lodge No. 480, F. & A.
M., of Millerton, and to Millerton Lodge No.
383, I. O. O. F.



CHARLES P. LUCKEY (deceased), the
founder and, at the time of his death, the
senior partner in the well-known firm of
Luckey, Piatt & Co., the leading dry-goods
merchants in Poughkccpsie, was born May 30,



1832, near Ithaca, N. Y. His ancestors set-
tled in Dutchess county in early times.

Thomas P. I. Luckey, father of our sub-
ject, was born in the city of Poughkeepsie in
1803, and was a farmer by occupation. In
early manhood he removed to Ithaca, later to
Chautauqua count}', but he and his wife returned
to Poughkeepsie to spend their declining 3'ears.
On April 28, 1824, he was married to Jane
Ann Hoffman, daughter of Loderwick Hoff-
man, and they had five children: John,
Theodore H., Catherine, Charles Pinckney
and Francis Drake, all now deceased. The
father died in Poughkeepsie, September 16,



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 7 of 183)