J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 79 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 79 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Vermont, he had nine children: Asenith, who
married Benager Phelps; Olive, who married



Fisher Ames; William, who married Mary
Landon; Thomas, who married a Miss Phelps;
Cotton, who married Ann Landon; Edward,
the father of our subject; Ruth, who married
Benjamin Boardman; Lydia, who married
Calvin Robison; and Eunice, who married G.
H. Rice.

Edward Fletcher, the father, was born in
Grand Isle county, Vt. , in 1819, and after the
completion of his education turned his atten-
tion to mercantile pursuits for a number of
years. He then engaged in farming for a time,
but afterward returned to merchandising. He
was one of the active and leading members of
the Republican party in the comijiunity where
he made his home, and at different times filled
all the town offices with credit to himself and
to the satisfaction of all concerned.

Edward Fletcher was married to Miss
Eliza M. Landon, a daughter of Baldwin and
Minerva (Phelps) Landon, agriculturists of
Vermont. Ten children were born to this
worthy couple, as follows: (i) Arelia E. mar-
ried Edwin Phelps. (2) Henry C. engaged in
the ranch business in Montana, and was there
married. (3) Edward C. died at the age of
fifteen years. (4) Charles L. is the ne.xt in
order of birth. (5) Edgar E., who was born
in Vermont in 1853, was educated in the same
academy and university as our subject, and is
now engaged in the practice of medicine at
Boulder, Mont. He married Miss Emma Rob-
inson, and they have three children. (6) Fred
F. is now engaged in civil engineering, and
owns a foundry at Bozeman, Mont. (7) Frank
E. studied law, but never engaged in its prac-
tice; for some time he followed farming, but
was later connected with the Eagle Condensed
Milk factory at Wassaic, N. Y. ; he married
Miss Carrie Rozwell, and has four cliildren —
Barbara, Leon, Edna and Francis. (8) El-
mer is now engaged in the mercantile business
at New Bedford, Mass. (9) Kate M. is the
wife of Hegiston Hoag, a prosperous farmer,
and they have three children. (10) Ernest,
the youngest of the family, is now engaged in
the ranch business at Boulder, Montana.

The birth of our subject occurred in the
town of Milton, Chittenden Co., Vt., while his
primary education was obtained in the public
schools, and he supplemented the knowledge
there acquired by a course in the academy at
South Hero, Vt., from which he graduated.
He then entered the medical department of the
\'ermont University, graduating with the class

of '73. at the age of twenty-two. The follow-
ing year he commenced the practice of his
chosen profession in the town of George,
Franklin Co., Vt., but in the fall of 1881 lo-
cated at South Dover, Dutchess county, and
has since been one of the most successful phy-
sicians of the community. In 1892 the Doc-
tor purchased a fine farm of 335 acres on what
is called Chestnut Ridge, which is well stocked
and highly improved. Before coming to this
county he held a number of town offices in his
native State. As a Master Mason, he is con-
nected with Dover Plains Lodge No. 666, F.
& A. M. He stands deservedly high as a mem-
ber of the medical fraternity, and as a private
citizen also holds an enviable position in the
estimation of his fellowmen.

Dr. Fletcher was married to Miss Helen
Corwin, and to them were born four children:
Helena and Edward, who died in infancy; C.
Harold, who was born in 1880, and is now
preparing for college; and Alice C, who died
at the age of nine years.

T^HOMAS K. CRUSE, A. M., M. D., a
leading physician and surgeon of Wap-
pingers Falls, Dutchess county, was born in
Baltimore, Md., March 3, 1849, and is a son
of Isaac Cruse, whose birth occurred in Alex-
andria, Va. , in 1806. His paternal grand-
father, Thomas Cruse, was a native of Dub-
lin, Ireland, by occupation a linen merchant,
and he there married a Miss Hamilton, of the
same city. About 1798, a contmuance of resi-
dence in Dublin having become impossible by
reason of his affiliation with the fomenters of
Emmet's rebellion, Thomas Cruse and family
emigrated to Virginia, and there he started a
successful business in the importation of Irish
linens. In religious belief he was an Episco-
palian, and m politics a Federalist. His fam-
ily comprised four children, namely: Mary,
who became the wife of a Mr. Power, of Car-
lisle, Penn. ; Eliza, who married James Creigh-
ton, of Philadelphia; Franklin, who died in in-
fancy; and Isaac, the father of the subject of
this sketch.

On reaching manhood Isaac Cruse left the
Old Dominion for Baltimore, Md., where he
engaged in merchandising. He there wedded
Mary W. Kelso, a native of Pittsburg, Penn.
She was a daughter of Dr. Joseph Kelso, sur-'
geon to the Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadel-
phia, he being of Scotch descent through the



Galbraiths of Revolutionary fame. Six chil-
dren were born to Isaac and Mary W. Cruse:
Anna E., who married Uavid H. Paige (vice-
presidentTexas iS; Houston Central railway), of
New York City; Bertha, wife of Charles H.
Currier, of the same city; Mary VV., married
to Edward J. Peters, also of New York City;
X'irj^inia, wife of Eugene \V. Watson, captain
United States navy; Emmeline H., widow of
Graham Blandy, long a member of the New
York Stock Exchange, and Thomas K. , subject
of this sketch. On leaving Baltimore, Isaac
Cruse removed to New York City, where for
twenty-five years he was an active member of
the Produce Exchange, and at one time its
president. Throughout life he was a stanch
Democrat, and a pillar of the Madison Square
Presbyterian Church, now under Dr. Park-
hurst's charge.

When a child, Thomas K. Cruse accom-
panied his parents to New York City, where
through five years he attended old ward school
No. 45. in Twenty-fourth street. Leaving
school, he was successful in gaining entrance
to the College of the City of New York, from
which institution he took his Bachelor of Arts
degree in 1868. Having thus completed a
sound literary and scientific education, he began
the attendance of lectures at Bellevue Hos-
pital Medical College, from which he gradu-
ated as Doctor of Medicine in 1870, when
barely twenty-one years of age. Immediately
after graduation, and after a hard competitive
examination, he was appointed resident sur-
geon to Bellevue Hospital, subsequently, also,
receiving the appointment of surgeon to the
Bellevue Hospital Bureau of Relief for Ouf-
Door Poor. These positions kept the Doctor
hard at work during most of the first four
years of his professional life, although for a
few months of that period he served also as
surgeon to the White Star line of transatlantic

After a term of hospital attendance in Lon-
don, England. Dr. Cruse started private prac-
tice in New York City, later at Tarrj'town,
N. Y., and in 1876 took up his residence at
Wappingers Falls, N.Y., where he has made
his permanent home, although for a year he
was absent in England and France, and later
in Florida, traveling. For a time also he held
the post of professor of genito-urinary diseases
in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at
Chicago, III., and in 1886, after competitive
civil-service examination, was appointed Med-

ical Examiner at Washington, D. C, in the
Pension Office. After serving for awhile in
Washington, he resigned his position, and has
since given all his energies to his Dutchess
county practice.

On November 3, 1883, Dr. Cruse was mar-
ried to Florence S. Warhurst. of Brooklyn, N.
Y. , she being a daughter of Thomas War-
hurst, the veteran dramatic agent. They have
had two children, boys, one, Thomas Gal-
braith, born in 1893, died in 1895; the other,
Creighton, born in 1896, survives.

The Doctor is an independent in politics,
is a member of the I. O. O. F. , and of the
Foresters of A/nerica, of various professional
organizations, of the Dutchess Club, of Pough-
keepsie, of the Chi Psi Alunmi Association of
New York City, and of the Society of Alumni
of Bellevue Hospital Internes. He is surgeon
to the F"oresters, to the Hudson River Stone
Supply Co., and from 1885 to 1893 served the
village as health officer, during which time he
was zealous and impartial in his efforts to en-
force strict isolation of persons suffering from
contagious diseases. At one time Dr. Cruse
gave a bigslice"of his time to writing papers for
medical journals and others — original papers
and criticisms. Two of his productions have
been honored with prizes. One. on "Rupture
of the Bladder, " took the one-hundred-dollar
prize of the Alumni Association of Bellevue
Hospital Medical College, and was published
in the Medical Record in 1871 ; the second, on
" Injuries which happen to the Wrist Joint,"
especially dislocations and fractures, received
the one-hundred-dollar prize of the New York
State Medical Society for 1874, and was pub-
lished in the volume of transactions of the So-
ciety for that year.

Dr. Cruse, although not in the metropolis,
has won an enviable reputation as an up-to-
date operative surgeon, and the great esteem
in which his abilities are held by his profession-
al brethren is the best testimony to his worth.

Mli.LlCK BROTHERS is the name of a
well-known firm of Poughkeepsie, Dutch-
ess county, dealers in marble and granite,
whose place of business is located at Nos. 100
and 102 Market street. In 1894 Philip and
Valentine M. Miller formed a partnership, since
which time they have conducted their present
business with reuiarkable success, combining






the virtues of energy and perseverance with
excellent judgment and industrious habits.

Valentine Miller, father of our subject,
was born in Germany in 1825, and was there
reared to habits of thrift and economy, which
principles characterized his whole life. Hop-
ing to better his financial condition, he, in
1S55, emigrated to the New World, locating
finally at Poughkeepsie, where he first worked
with Peter Joy in the bluestone business.
Not long afterward he became a member of
tbe firm of Nellson & Miller, in the marble
business, which connection continued until the
death of Mr. Nellson, when Mr. Haxby was
received as a partner. On the latter's death,
the firm became Miller & Van Wyck, which so
continued until Mr. Miller was called from
earth, in August, 1877.

Valentine Miller married Elizabeth Dilge,
also a native of the Fatherland, and a family
of eight children were born to them: Feier-
abend and Peter, residents of Poughkeepsie,
where the former is in the butchering business;
Phillipina, deceased; Philip and Valentine M.
(who comprise the firm of Miller Brothers),
and Maggie (wife of John Hall, a coal dealer),
Kate, (wife of \'alentine Hall), and Jacob (a
printer), all of Poughkeepsie. The mother of
these died in August, 1S93; the father was a
prominent member of the Lutheran Church,
thoroughly identified with its interests, and in
politics he affiliated with the Republican party.
Both he and his wife were highly respected and
esteemed as valuable members of the com-

Philip Miller, the senior member of the
firm of Miller Bros., was born at Poughkeep-
sie January 17, 1861, and in the city schools
acquired his education, subsequently learning
the marble business with his father. In 1891
he went to Jersey City, where he was em-
ployed in that line until 1894, when he re-
turned to Poughkeepsie and formed the part-
nership with his brother, \'alentine M., in the
marble and granite business at their present
location' on Market street, since which time
they have done an extensive business.

Philip Miller was married to Miss Mamie
Kuhner, a member of the Zither Club.

V.\LENTiNE M. Miller, the junior mem-
ber of the firm of Miller Bros., was born April
18, 1864, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y.. where he
received his education. He wedded Miss Cath-
erine Laufersweiler, and one daughter, \'iola
May, has been born to them. \'alentine M.

Miller is a member of the order of Chosen
Friends and of Fallkill Lodge, Independent
Order of Odd Fellows.

Although still young men, the Miller Broth-
ers are very liberal and public-spirited men,
taking a foremost position in every movement
or enterprise promising to accrue to the bene-
fit of the people in general. In politics they
follow in the footsteps of their father, and
hold an equally high position in the regard of
their fellow citizens.


Few among the business men of Dutchess

county, past or present, have devoted to com-
mercial life as many years as did the subject
of this biography. Born November 26, 18 14,
in East Fishkill, he began his mercantile career
at the age of twenty-one, and not until the
early part of 1896 did he lay aside his active

His ancestry is an honorable one. His pa-
ternal grandfather, Joseph Car}', was a soldier
in the Colonial army during the Revolutionary
war, and enjoyed the unique distinction of
having first seen the light February 22. 1732 —
the day and year of Gen. Washington's birth.
The parents of our subject, Isaac and Nancy
(Burrow) Cary, were highly respected residents
of East Fishkill, and he and a younger brother,
Uriah, constituted the family.

Richard B. Gary's early education was
such as the district schools of the locality af-
forded in his day, and although they do not
compare favorably with those of to-day, yet
he managed to secure a good foundation for
later progress through reading and observation.
His first business venture was in a general
merchandise store at Johnsville, N. Y. , in part-
nership with William Pierce, and on the dis-
solution of the firm seven or eight years after-
ward Mr. Cary went to Glenham, N. Y., the
manufacturing village between Fishkill village
and Matteawan, and carried on a similar busi-
ness for three years, with Thomas Burroughs
as a partner. Mr. Cary then moved to Fish-
kill village, where he and Jacob G. \'an Wyck
opened a general store, and after a time Mr.
Cary purchased Mr. \'an Wyck's interest, and
for many years continued the business alone.
During the past twenty-five years he was a
commercial traveler, representing a firm of
paper manufacturers; but failing health com-



pelled him to retire, and he died a few months
after, August 25, 1896.

Mr. Cary was married October 22, 1844,
to Miss M. Garetta Washburn, daughter of
Jarvis and Hettie (Fuller) Washburn. Mrs.
Cary passed away December 26, 1891, in her
si.xty-fifth year, mourned as a loving wife and
mother, and by many as a cherished friend.
They had five children: Jarvis, Edgar, Mary,
Frank and Arthur, of whom all are living ex-
cept Frank, who died in infancy, and Edgar,
who died at the age of thirty-six years leavmg a
widow and two daughters. Politically Mr.
Cary was a Republican, but he did not take
an active share in party affairs.

EDWARD BR AM AN, of Hyde Park,
,' Dutchess county, is the representative of

a well-known family there, connected with the
Sextons, Van Vliets, and others, whose gen-
ealogies are of unusual interest.

The name of Braman first appears in New
England in 1653, at Taunton, Mass., where
the first settlers were mostly from Somerset-
shire and Devonshire. The name belonged to
Plymouth, in Devonshire, in that day, but
there were also Bramans in London and Chi-
chester, then and later. Thomas Braman. of
Taunton, 1653, is believed to be the ancestor of
all bearing the name in this country.

The immediate ancestor of the family, who
came to live in Dutchess county, was James
Braman, of North Kingston, R. I. He also
owned lands in \'oluntown and Preston, near
Norwich, Conn., and about 1733 he took up his
residence in Voluntown, where he died about
January i, 1741, leaving, by his wife Eliza-
beth, seven children: Elizabeth, b. March
2, 1730; John, b. April 12, 173 1; James, b.
October 13, 1732 (ancestor of the Bramans of
Richfield. N. Y.); Anna, b. August 28, 1734;
Thomas, b. May 25, 1736; Benjamin, b. June
6, 1738, unmarried; and Esther, b. Febru-
ary I, 1741. Of these, John and Thomas died
in Dutchess county. Thomas, after serving
in the "old P'rench war" (he was at Fort
Edward in August, 1756), bought land near
Old .\ttlebury, in Stanford, in 1761 and 1765.
His wife, Anna, born December 21, 1735,

died February 9. 1799. He died 26,

1808 (tombstone injured), and they were buried
in the ground he gave for a church long since
extinct. He left no children, but made his
nephew, Braman Barlow, his principal heir.

John Braman, eldest son of James and
Elizabeth, was born in North Kingston, R. I.,
April 12 (O. S.), 1731, and died at Hyde
Park September 6, 18 10. He married, Feb-
ruary 5, 1763, Eunice, eldest daughterof Ben-
jamin Adams, of Lexington, Mass., baptized
June 3, 1731. died August 15, 1774. They
had five children: Anna, b. December 6,
1763, d. 1846, second wife of the Hon. Ben-
jamin Fitch, of Pawlet, Vt. ; Cyrus, b. No-
vember 28, 1766 [See below]; Lucy, b. June
14, 1768, d. August 20, 1796, first wife of
Benjamin Fitch, above mentioned; Eunice, b.
September 15, 1 770, d. November 21, 1836,
m. Samuel Palmer, of Preston; and Mary, b.
May 18, 1772, d. 1809, m. Job Wickes, of
Burlington, Otsego Co., N. Y. John Braman
settled in the East, or "Long Society," of
Norwich fwhich was set off to the adjoining
town of Preston in 1786), near the junction of
the Quinebaug and Shetucket rivers. After a
residence of forty years in a very pleasant lo-
cality, all his children being married, he sold
his property there, in order to make his home
with his only son, with whom he removed to
Clinton, now Hyde Park, in April, 1800.

Cyrus Braman, born at Norwich, Novem-
ber 28, 1766, died at Hyde Park, October 10,
1850. He first married, on December 26,
'793. Elizabeth Dunbar, only child of Capt.
Joseph Teel and Elizabeth Searle, born at
Charlestown, Mass., July 9, 1775, died at Hyde
Park December 4, 1801. Her mother was of the
family of the Rev. John Searle, of Stoneham;
and her father was descended from one of the
oldest families of Maiden, Mass. Capt. Teel
fought at Bunker Hill, and was in the Massa- '
chusetts Line in the succeeding war, was pres-
ent at White Plains and at Burgoyne's surren-
der, etc. At one time he was a paymaster.
He died at his son-in-law's house, at Hyde
Park, February 14, 1843, aged ninety-eight
years. He was long an elder in the Reformed
Dutch Church. Cyrus Braman married, sec-
ond, on April 11, 1802. Mary, born February
27, 1772, died October 26, 1S49, only surviv-
ing daughter of Samuel Hitt and Ruth, his
wife, daughter of W'illiam and Magdalena
(W^oolsey) Dusenbury, of Harrison's Purchase.
Westchester county. The Dusenbury home-
stead was in the family nearly a century and a
half. It was later owned by Benjamin Halli-
day and, since, by the Hon. Whitelaw Reid.
Samuel Hilt was the only child of Samuel
Hitt, of Harrison (then a part of Rye), who



died in 1742, when the son was only a year
old. He received a classical education, and
inherited a considerable estate, which was
much diminished by the vicissitudes of the
Revolutionary days, as he lived "between the
lines" and suffered from both sides. His
daughter was old enough to remember some of
the events of those troublous times.

After the war he removed to Dutchess
county, and for some years lived on the place,
late of Elias Butler, then the property of Judge
David Johnston, of Lithgow. Here his wife
died, March 20, 1807, aged sixty-one; he died
August 3, 1 8 10, aged sixty-nine. By his first
wife Cyrus Braman had four children: Joseph
Teel, b. January 29, 1796, d. August i, 1869,
unmarried. Elizabeth Dunbar Teel, b. June
22, 1797, d. January 16, 1875; m. m 1S16
John Church, of Yates county, N. Y. John
Adams, b. January 18, 1799, d. September 13,
1886, unmarried; some time a merchant in
New York and Syracuse. Cassandana, b.
October 24. 1800, d. December 12, 1801.
By his second wife he had seven children:
Ruth Hitt, b. January 8, 1803, d. in New-
York Decembers, 1846; m. in 1821 William
Elsworth, of New York, afterward of Hyde
Park, and had four children. Mary Smith, b.
March 8, 1805, d. May 12, 1881, unmarried.
Samuel Hitt, b. January 20, 1807, of whom
mention will presently be made. Catharine,
b. February 12, 1809, d. in Poughkeepsie, Jan-
uary 30, 1890; became the second wife of
William Elsworth; no children. Cyrus, b.
March 17, 181 1, d. June i, i8i2- Phebe Ste-
venson, b. May 23, 1813, d. August 15, 1861,
unmarried. William Henry, b. December 27,
181 5, d. in New York February 24, 1876;
he was a merchant in New York; he mar-
ried Sarah, daughter of John W. Elsworth,
and sister of William Elsworth, and by her
(who is living, 1897) had one child, Adelaide,
who married Dr. William Brinck, now of New-
burg. Cyrus Braman was educated at a high
school at Norwich. After his first marriage he
lived in Norwich for several years, but in 1796
Joseph Teel bought property in Rhinebeck
(afterward owned by Freeborn Garrettson, Jr.,
and since by the Astors), and this led to the
removal of the Braman family to Hyde Park.
In November, 1799, Cyrus Braman bought of
Phinehas Eames "Lot No. 2," of the Hyde
Park Patent. This had belonged to Anna
Magdalen Valleau, wife of Lucas Lesier fcom-
monly called " Madame Lesier "), sister to the

wife of Dr. John Bard; and thus an heir of
Peter Fauconnier's estate. She built the stone
house, part of which stood until 1894. At an
early date this place was named " Belgrove ",
perhaps by Madame Lesier. In 1800 Mr.
Braman bought the adjoining farm, "Lot No.
3," of Capt. Samuel Cook, both purchases
comprising together 2 1 2 acres, with a frontage
of about half a mile on the river. This was
his home for fifty years. In 1824 he built
barns, still standing, considered a marvel of
convenience in their day; and in 1832 he built
a new residence, having a fine river and moun-
tain view. He was a Federalist, and later a
Whig, but was averse to taking any part in
political affairs. He died at the age of eighty-
four, and his portrait shows him a man of
venerable and dignified appearance. In 1853
his executors sold the estate to his son-in-law,
William Elsworth, who died here in 1870, aged
seventy-four, leaving three sons, Cyrus B.,
William H. and Eugene. His executors sold,
in 1873, to Nathaniel P. Rogers.

Samuel H. Braman was born at Belgrove,
January 20, 1807, and died there June 16,
1846. He married. May 16, 1832, Helen,
daughter of Cornelius Van Vliet, Jr., of Staats-
burg, and Mary Russell, born at Staatsburg,
June 22, 1807, and died there October i, 1857.
They had six children: (i) Edward (now of
Hyde Park), b. December 13, 1833. (2)
Caroline, b. May 20, 1836, m. Samuel J. M.
Sexton. (3) Hiram Van Vliet (of Pough-
keepsie. and No. 321 Clinton avenue, Brook-
lyn, late importer, of New York), b. June 12,
1838, m. Irene Barlow, daughter of Charles
Thomas Newcomb, of Pleasant Valley,' and
Elizabeth A. T. Sexton, and has had seven
children— Helen Elizabeth (died in infancy),
Mary Newcomb (m., June 1 1, 1896, to Francis
L. Noble, counselor at law, of New York),
Charles Francis (died aged fourteen years),
Irene Moir, William Reginald (died aged three
years), Hiram Van Vliet, Jr. (d. April 8, 1896,
aged eighteen years), and Emily Louise. (4)
Emily Bailey (living at Hyde Park), b. Sep-
tember 22, 1840. (5) Samuel H., Jr., b.
April 13, 1842, d. February 14. 1869. (6)
Helen, b. November 13, 1845, d. May 27,
1864. Samuel H. Braman took some interest
in military affairs. He was a captain, major
and finally colonel of the Eighty-fourth Regi-
ment of Militia. His sons all went early to
New York, and (later with their sisters) made
their home there many years.



The ancestry of the Sexton Family* is
fully set forth in Stiles' "Ancient Windsor."
The first of the name who came to live in
Dutchess county was the late Samuel J. M.
Sexton, of Hyde Park. His line of descent
from the first George Sexton, of Windsor,
Conn., and Catharine, is: Capt. Joseph (1666-
1742) and Hannah Wright; Joseph, Jr. (1694-
17 — ), and Sarah Parsons; Deacon Joseph
(1726-18 1 9) and Rebecca Chapin; Joseph
(1753-1823) and Hannah Cadwell, of Wilbra-
ham and Monsoon. Mass., whose eldest son
was Francis Sexton, born at Wilbraham, No-
vember 22, 1779; a merchant in New York,
where he died August 7, 1839; he lived riiany
years at No. 28 Dey street, where all his chil-

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 79 of 183)