J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 86 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 86 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Their only daughter, Rhoda, married Dr.
James Richard English, of Matteawan. The
family are all members of the Episcopal
Church, and take a leading part in the social
life of the locality. Mr. Redman votes the
Republican ticket, but is not an active political
worker. He is interested in fraternal society
work, and is a member of the K. of P. Our
subject is the only Redman of his branch of
the family living. In 1880 he made an ex-
tended tour throughout England, visiting
among other places the scenes of his child-
hood. In 1 88 1 his wife and daughter (the
latter being but eight years of age) made a
similar tour.

Dr. James Richard English, our sub-
ject's son-in-law, one of the leading physicians
and surgeons of Fishkill, was born August 27,
1865, at Constableville, Lewis Co., N. Y., the
son of Dr. R. S. English and his wife Marga-
ret (Gormully). He was the youngest of four
children, the others being John Bernard, Gus-
tavus Pierce, and Alice E. His academic
education was obtained in the public schools
of his native town, and after graduating from
the high school he began the study of medi-
cine at the Long Island College and Hospital,
in Brofjklyn, N. Y., from which hewasgradu-
ated in 1892. He began the practice of his
profession at Fishkill-on-Hudson, and has al-
ready established a large and lucrative busi-
ness. In politics he is neutral. Socially he
and his wife are prominent, and he is a mem-
ber of the I. O. O. F., theR. A., and I. O. F.,
of the home lodge of which latter organization
he is a ph sician.

GEORGE HUFCUT has been a leading
and prominent citizen of Dover Plains,
Dutchess county. His father, who was a
lawyer and surrogate, practiced his profession
in Dover Plains for many years; was also a

politician of abilitj', and a leader in his party.
He was honored with a number of town offices,
and was a prominent worker in Masonic cir-
cles, taking a great interest in that order.

Our subject was born at Dover Plains, and
in early life entered upon a mercantile career,
engaging in that business for some years.
Later he conducted the mill of his father in the
town of Dover, but at the latter's death the
plant was sold to a Mr. Reiner. He has been
called upon to serve in several local offices, in-
cluding that of assessor of his township.
Socially, he is a member of the Masonic fra-
ternity, and is affable and pleasant in manner,
winning friends wherever he goes. The house
in which the family lived for years was burned
to the ground in March, 1897.

Mr. Hufcut was united in marriage with
Miss Jennie Flinn, who was born and educated
in New York City, and they have become the
parents of two children: William M., and
Sara B. Her father, John Flinn, was a
native of Dublin, Ireland, and belonged to the
nobility of that country, his father being a
titled gentleman and one of the large land
owners there. The son was highly educated
in his native city, and had in his own right a
large income after he had reached man's estate.
Owing to his love of adventure, he with his
valet and fortune, embarked for the United
States without the knowledge of his family.
He located in New York City, where he
established himself in the crockery and glass-
ware business on an extensive scale. This
venture proved very successful, and after con-
ducting the business for a number of years, he
laid aside business cares, and lived a retired
life. Mr. Flinn married Miss Sarah Powell,
daughter of William Powell, a prominent and
wealthy lawyer of England, and to them were
born six children: Morris R., Charles B. and
John I., all of whom died in infancy; Mary T. ,
who became the wife of George Terry, of Bos-
ton, Mass.; Sarah, who died in infancy; and
Jennie A., the estimable wife of our subject.

PETER V. ^^■. MONTFORT, a leading
agriculturist of the town of Wappinger,

Dutchess county, is the owner of one of the
choicest farms in that vicinity, a tract of 450
acres, which has been in the possession of his
family for more than a century. He is a de-
scendant of two of the oldest and most dis-
tinguished families in the county. On the



paternal side, his great-great-grandfather, Peter
Montfort, was a native of Holland, coming to
America in Colonial times with three sons, one
of whom located on Long Island, and the
other in New Jersey. Our subject's great-
grandfather, Peter ^Iontfort, who about 1735
settled in Fishkiii, Dutchess county, upon land
of which the present homestead is a part (it
being then known as the Verplank Patent),
was born in 171 1 and died in 1791. The farm
consisted of 370 acres, and he built and oc-
cupied the stone house still standing. He had
five children: Mary, who married Albert Mont-
fort, from Long Island; Peter, who will pres-
ently be spoken of; Magdalene, who married
Cornelius \'an Wyck; Jacobus, married to
Ruth \'an \'oorhis; and Jeanette, wife of
Major Fort.

Peter Montfort, grandfather of our subject,
was born December 14, 1760, on the home-
stead just referred to, and passed his entire busi-
ness life as a farmer. At the age of sixteen he
served in the Revolutionary war, and our subject
has the musket which he carried at that time,
and a fowling piece which in those days cost
a hundred bushels of wheat, rated at $3 per
bushel. For a short time after the close of
that struggle grandfather Montfort lived near
Harlem, where he married Susan Waldron.
Returning home after his father's death to his
half of the farm, he there built a residence on
the site of the one now occupied by our sub-
ject, and which was burned in 1 860, and he
also added ninety acres to the farm. He died
in 1824. His brother Jacobus lived in the
original stone house until 1825; he had five
sons: Cornelius, Elias, Peter J., James and

Peter P. Montfort, our subject's father,
was the only son of his parents, and was born
at the old homestead November 10, 1795.
After the death of Jacobus Montfort, his uncle,
he bought the stone-house part of the farm.
Agriculture was his principal occupation
throughout his life; but he was also engaged
for some time in boating and in mercantile
business. He was- a man of great force of
character, active in local affairs as a member
of the Whig party, and at his death, February
26, 1854, he was a member of the State Leg-
islature. His wife, Maria Du Bois, to whom
he was married November 26, 1817, was a
native of Fishkiii, born April 22, 1798. She
was a daughter of Garret Du Bois, and a
granddaughter of Christian Du Bois, both in

their time leading residents of Fishkiii, the
family being descended from the old Huguenot
stock which has been represented by so many
able and prosperous citizens in Dutchess and
Ulster counties. She died October 13, 1836,
and of the family of four children our subject
is the only survivor. Susan, born July i, 18 19,
married George Brinkerhoff, and both died at
an early age; Garret, the twin brother of our
subject, died at the age of thirteen; and Han-
nah, born May 13, 1825, died in September,

The subject of our sketch, the second child
of this union, was born January 19, 1821,
and has always lived at the old farm. On
December 27. 1843, he was united in marriage
to Julia A. Stockholm, daughter of John C.
Stockholm, a native of Dutchess county, and
a prominent farmer of the town of Fishkiii,
and his wife, Eliza Underbill, who was from
Eastchester, Westchester county. Mrs. Mont-
fort died November 5, 1871, leaving seven
children, all of whom are still living: John P.
is a traveling man, and resides in New Paltz,
Ulster county; Charles D. B. is a farmer in the
town of Wappinger; Maria L. is at home;
Eliza is the wife of Jeremiah Fowler, of
Providence, R. I.; Meta married George
White, of the town of Wappinger; Julia A.
married Milo J. White, a lawyer, of Mt. Ver-
non, and Eugene is a farmer in the town of

Mr. Montfort's time has been mainly em-
ployed in the supervision of his farm, upon
which he raises a variety of crops. He has
always been prominent in local affairs, and
although he has never sought political office is
an influential member of the Republican party.
The Montforts have always been zealous sup-
porters of the Reformed Dutch Church, and
their influence has been a helpful factor in
every line of progress.

MRS. MARY LEE is the widow of Ward
Lee, who, prior to his death at Dover
Plains, Dutchess county, a few years ago, was
one of the well-esteemed and earnest-hearted
men of that village whose influence always
count for social well-being and advancement
in the community in which they live. He was
unassuming in manner, but was called by his
fellow-citizens to serve in various local offices,
among which were those of commissioner of



highways for three terms and collector for
two terms.

Mr. Lee was a native of Connecticut, where
he was born in 1820. His parents were Will-
iam and Mahetable ( Ward ) Lee, who were
descendants of New England people. Ward
Lee was a boy, in his early " 'teens," when he
left his native State and settled in the town of
Dover, Dutchess county. He was the eldest
of six children, as follows : Ward, Egbert,
Jane, Louise, Emily and Emiline ( twins). He
was married at South Dover, November 7,
1848, to Miss Mary Cutter, who was born
at Dover Furnace, and is the daughter of
Calvin and Kesiah ( Varney ) Cutter, of Amer-
ican ancestry for generations. Four children
were born to Ward and Mary (Cutter) Lee,
namely : Adelia Ann. born July 14, 1849 ;
Emily S. , who was born July i, 1850, married
Alvin Maray, and has since died, her husband
surviving ; William, born November 17, 185 i
(now deceased); and Angeline I\., born Janu-
ary 26, 1853. By trade Mr. Lee was a car-
penter, and he followed this calling through
life. His political affiliations were with the
Democratic party. He died August 12, 1888,
aged sixty-eight years, and was buried at South
Dover. Mrs. Mary Lee, his widow, survives
him, and is now living at Dover Plains in a
pleasant home which is her own property,
and among friends whom she has known almost
from her childhood.

__ __ resident of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess coun-
ty, spends a portion of the season at her resi-
dence at Green Haven, town of Beekman.
The propert}' owned by her is a portion of the
large tract of land owned by her great-great-
grandfather, Joshua Carman, who came from
Long Island and settled here, being a large
land owner and prominent in the early history
of Dutchess county.

Her great-grandfather, Capt. Cornelius
\'an Wyck, married Sarah Carman, and lived
at Hopewell, Dutchess county. He served
with distinction in the Revolutionary war, and
was killed in the battle of White Plains. Octo-
ber 31, 1776. Her other great-grandfather,
Joseph Doughty, was born in England in 1744.
He came to this country when a boy with his
mother (then a widow), and settled on Long
Island. His mother, for her second husband,
married John Carman, and moved to Green

Haven, town of Beekman. Joseph Doughty,
married Psyche Wiltsie, of Fishkill, and paid
;^ioo for the right to settle on a tract of land
adjoining the Carman estate. He had the
honor of entertaining Gen. La Fayette when
on his travels through Beekman about the year
1824. Her grandfather, William Doughty,
married a widow, Sarah Van W'yck Vander-
burgh, and was a highly respected citizen of
his time. The above are ancestors on her
mother's side.

On her father's side, her grandfather, Zach-
ariah Flagler, was born in the town of Beekman.
His first wife was a Miss Wilkinson, by w-hom
he had one daughter, Mary. His second wife,
Catherine Collins, was a native of the town of
Unionvale, and to them were born ten chil-
dren: Collins, John, Zachariah, David, Frank-
lin, Enoch, Philip, Shadrach, and George and
Gilbert (twins). Religiously the family were
members of the Society of Friends.

Gilbert Flagler, the father of Mrs. Foote,
was also a native of the town of Beekman.
He married Psyche Doughty, daughter of Will-
iam Doughty, and after his marriage located
on a farm near Green Haven. To them were
born five children: Mary, Martha R. , who is
the widow of John Peters, and resides in Fish-
kill village, Dutchess county; Theodore \'. W.
(now deceased) married Helen Jones; Henry
died unmarried; and Sarah died in infancy.
Mr. Flagler was a consistent member of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, dying in that
faith in 1 873. His widow passed away in
1894 at the ripe old age of eight-six years.
They had many warm friends, and were held
in high esteem in the locality which was so
long their home.

Mary Flagler was married September 10,
185 I, from her home in the town of Beekman,
to George Benton Foote, pf New Haven, Conn.
Mr. Foote was a merchant in New York City
for a number of years, engaged in the import-
ing of fine cloth. The latter part of his life
was passed in the town of Beekman, where he
died December 11, 1 87 1 . Two sons were born
to them: Gilbert F. and George B., Jr.

Gilbert Flagler Foote married Clara Will-
iams, of Poughkeepsie, December 5, 1S93,
and to them two children were born: Andrew
Giraud, February 2, 1895; and Gilbert Flag-
ler, Jr., September i, 1896.

George Benton Foote, Jr., married Ida
Williams, of Poughkeepsie, June 14, 1894, a
sister of Clara Williams, and daughter of Orren



A. and Josephine Giraud Williams, both
families being prominently known in Pough-
keepsie society.

All of Mary Flagler Foote's ancestral fam-
ilies have been prominent in the history of
Beekman and Dutchess county. Mrs. Foote
merits and receives the esteem of all who know
her, and is beloved by all with whom she
comes in contact for her noble traits of

RS. MARY H. ROSS, like many of the
J^^ prominent and highly respected citizens
of the town of Dover, Dutchess county, comes
of an honored family that was early established
in Connecticut. There her paternal grand-
father, Josiah Hungerford, was born, on Sep-
tember 15, 1774, in the town of New Milford,
Litchfield county. On the completion of his
literary studies he began harness and saddle
making, which he continued to follow through
life. He married Miss Hannah Miles, who
was born November 18, 1779, and to them
was born a son, Abner G., the father of Mrs.
Ross. The wife and mother died September
12, 1805, and Mr. Hungerford was again mar-
ried, his second union being with Miss Mary
Miles, a sister of his first wife; she was born
August 19, 17S6. His death occurred Decem-
ber 25, 1S52, and that of his wife, Mary Miles
Hungerford, March 5, 1829. They had two
sons: (i) Averil, born February 14, 1808, in the
town of New Milford, Litchfield county, mar-
ried and had one child that died in infancy;
his second wife bore the maiden name of Cor-
nelia Demorest; his death occurred December
28, 1878, and that of his second wife, Decem-
ber 27, 1879. (2) P'red G., born October iS,
1812, married Miss- Mary M. Freer, and they
had one daughter, Mary Frances, who married
George Neilson, a prominent lawyer of New
York City, and died one year later; Fred G.
died February 26, 1881.

Abner G. Hungerford, the father of Mrs.
Ross, was also born in the town of New Mil-
ford, Litchfield Co., Conn., February 21, 1805,
and in the district school near his home ac-
quired his education. Learning the harness
maker's trade, he followed that occupation
during early life, but later turned his attention
to farming. As early as 1830 he removed
from (Juaker Hill, Dutchess county, to a farm
which he had purchased in the town of Dover.
On May 7, 1828, he was joined in marriage

with Miss Maria Sabin, born June 10, 1803,
daughter of Jeptha and Anna Sabin. Her fa-
ther was a harness maker of Brookfield, Conn.
Jeptha Sabin was born January 5, 1770, and
on March 17, 1794, married Anna Starr, who
was born April 23, 1773; his death occurred
June 26, 1838, and that of his wife January
24, i860. The death of Abner G. Hungerford
occurred October 4, 1892, and that of his wife,
December 9, -1888.

Mrs. Ross, the onl}' child of her parents,
was born in the town of Dover, July 20, 1833.
During her girlhood she attended the public
schools of the locality, where she acquired a
good education. She was united in marriage
with Duncan Ross, whose birth occurred in the
same township, March 8, 1827. In his native
county he alwaj's followed farming and butch-
ering, but at one time, for seven j'ears, had
charge of stables at the Union Stock yards, at
Chicago. He departed this life September 23,
1883. In politics he was a Republican.

ALFRED E. HALL, one of the most
_ valued and reliable citizens of the town
of Anienia, Dutchess county, purchased the
Jacob Rundall farm, between Amenia and Was-
saic, in 1889, a most beautiful place, where he
has since resided, and during the summer
months he keeps boarders, easily accommo-
dating twenty. Mr. Hall was born in Berk-
shire county, Mass., near Monterey, Novem-
ber 21, 1854, and for several generations the
family have made their homes in that State.
Luke Hall, his great-grandfather, emigrated
from England to New London, Conn. . but later
became a resident of Marlboro, Mass. The
grandfather, George Hall, was born at New
Marlboro, and for a companion and helpmeet
on life's journey chose Miss Cynthia Fargo.

Their third son, William A. Hall, is the
father of our subject, and is still living at
Monterey, Mass. His educational privileges
were such as the common schools afforded, and
as a young man he worked at the carpenter's
trade. However, he later turned his attention
to agricultural pursuits, and also speculated
in timber. He is a devoted member of the
Congregational Church, and in politics is a
stalwart Republican, always supporting the
candidates offered by that party. He was
united in marriage with Miss Fannie E. Clark,
of Sheffield, Mass., and they became the par-




ents of three sons — Alfred E., William B. and
Frank — and one daughter — Georgia A.

Until eighteen years of age Alfred E. Hall
remained at home, attending the common
schools of Monterey, and then became a stu-
dent in the Connecticut Literary Institute, at
Suffield, Conn., taking a three-years' course.
The following two years he passed at home,
and was then for the same length of time fore-
man of a farm at Great Barrington, Mass.
Subsequently he worked on a farm on shares
at Kent, Conn., for two years, whence he
came to Dutchess county, and operated the
farm of George W. Ketcham, at Dover Plains,
for six years, since which time he has resided
on his present place. In connection with the
cultivation and improvement of his land, he
also handles agricultural implements for D. M.
Osborne & Co., in which he has built up a
good trade.

At Monterey, in 1881, Mr. Hall was mar-
ried to Miss Minnie V. Langdon, daughter of
Chauncey D. Langdon, and they now have
four children: Mary, Laura, Chauncey and
William. On April 15, 1895, Mr. Hall re-
ceived the appointment of county deputy of the
Patrons of Husbandry, and during the winter
of 1895-6 he organized five granges in the
county. Although his residence here is of
comparatively short duration, he takes an ac-
tive interest in the public affairs of the locality,
and to all improvements of a substantial na-
ture he gives a generous aid. Like his father,
he also supports the Republican party, and in
religious belief is a Presbyterian, holding mem-
bership in the Church at Amenia, of which he
is an elder, and one of the trustees.

JN. BULLIS. No country has afforded
greater opportunities for the poor man than

our own; it is, indeed, the poor man's
country. Here, an industrious, frugal man
has a chance to accumulate wealth. Many
fail to do so, but the best of our population lay
by some of their earnings, and soon find them-
selves in the possession of a handsome prop-
erty; among them is the gentleman whose
name introduces this article. He is a native
of the town of Stanford, Dutchess county, and
now makes his home at Bangall.

His father, David Bullis, was the only child
of Thomas Bullis, and always resided in the
town of Stanford, where he engaged in farm-
ing. There his death occurred in 1845, at

the age of fifty years. Politically he was
identified with the Whig party. By his mar-
riage with Deborah Keed he became the fa-
ther of the following children: Thomas has
now passed away; Jane, deceased, was the
wife of Robert Hoffman; Peter, deceased,
married Permelia Carroll; Julia is the wife of
Edward Walters, of Mclntyre, Dutchess coun-
ty; John N. is ne.xt in order of birth; and
George W., deceased, married Emma Den-

During his boyhood John N. Bullis attended
the district schools of the town of Stanford,
and as his parents both died when he was quite
small, he was early thrown upon his own re-
sources, being compelled to seek his own live-
lihood while still quite young. He worked by
the month for various farmers, his first em-
ployer being Stephen G. Guernsey, Sr. , and
was thus engaged until seventeen years of age,
when he began clerking in the store of Moses
Denney, at Hull's Mills. At the end of eight
months, however, he went to Stissing, where
he conducted a store on shares for two years,
and for the following seven years clerked
for N. Halsted and G. G. Sharpenstein, at
Bangall. Going to Poughkeepsie, he was there
engaged in the spring-bed business with E. L.
Bushnell for two years, and for the same length
of time he was in the employ of Arnold Con-
stable & Co., of New York City. Purchasing
a store at Bangall, he conducted the same for
seven years with good success, but at the end
of that time sold out the stock and has since
rented the building. He also purchased his
present residence there.

On December 6, 1S58, Mr. Bullis was mar-
ried to Mary Husted, daughter of Henry D.
Husted, of Washington Hollow, Dutchess
county. Three children were born to them:
Henry D., who died at the age of nine and a
half years; May, who died at the age of four
months; and John N. Mr. Bullis has now
retired from the active labors of life, and is
spending his later days in the ease and com-
fort to which he is ju.stly entitled. Politically
he affiliates with the Republican party.

LBERT L. RIDER, the efficient and
popular postmaster at Rhinebeck, Dutch-
ess county, and one of the most prominent
citizens of that locality, was born July 11,
1842, at Westkill, Greene county.

The American branch of this family origi-



nated with three brothers who came from
Holland and located in Connecticut, from
whence some of their descendants came to New
York State. Our subject's father, Lewis
Rider, was a native of Schoharie county, born
March i6, 1808. He married Celia La Ment,
a lady of French descent, but a native of
Westkill, where Mr. Rider engaged in the tan-
ning business. In 1844 he moved to Poland,
Herkimer county, and a few years later went
to Florence, Oneida county, continuing the
same business, which he followed in all forty-
five years. In 1871 he and his wife came to
Rhinebeck, and for some years he was engaged
in contracting in partnership with a son-in-law,
John O'Brien, and contracted the R. & C. R.
R., and many miles of the D. & H. canal, but
he afterward retired from active business and
died November 15, 1896, at the ripe old age
of eighty-eight years. He held a prominent
place in every community in which he was
known, and represented the town of Florence
in the board of supervisors of Oneida county
for many years, and in 1851 he was elected
from Florence (Third Assembly District), to
the Assembly on the Democratic ticket. Of si.\
children only two are now living. George has
been for some years employed in developing
his father's mining interests in California, but
is now at home; Adelbert died at the age of
four years; Albert L. is the subject of our
sketch; Sarah married John O'Brien, men-
tioned above, and died in 1886; John, Lucy
and Elijah died in infancy.

Albert L. Rider received his early educa-
tion in the academy at Me.xico, Otsego county,
and the Walworth Commercial College, at
Rome, N. Y. , and then entered the tanning
business with his father, carrying it on until
1875; in 1 867- 1 868 was supervisor from Flor-
ence, Oneida county, when he came to Rhine-
beck. After a short time he went to Kingston
as agent of the American Express Co. ; but he

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 86 of 183)