J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 94 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 94 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


approved methods of carrying on agriculture.
Mr. Husted was born in October, 1828, in
Saratoga county, N. Y. , where his grandfather
had made a settlement at an early day. The
latter was a native of England, and on coming
to the United States made his first home in



Maine, whence he removed to Saratoga county.
There the father of our subject, Louis Husted,
was also born and reared, and on reaching
man's estate wedded Phtebe Jackson, by whom
he had four children: Walter W. (deceased);
Jackson, subject of this review; Mary Ann,
widow of John Robinson; and Phcjebe Jane,
wife of John H. Miller. The father continued
to carry on agricultural pursuits in his native
county until 1831. when he brought his family
to Dutchess county, locating upon a farm in
the town of Stanford, where his death occurred
about 1855, and his wife survived him but a
few years. He was a sincere Christian, and
a member of the Baptist Church.

Being only three years of age at the time
of his arrival in Dutchess county, Jackson
Husted was here reared, attending the com-
mon schools of the town of Stanford during
the winter terms, and assisting his father on
the farm during the seasons of sowing and
reaping. On starting out in life for himself he
engaged in farming in the town of Stanford,
but later removed to Washington town, where
he farmed for sixteen years, and the following
two years were passed in Pleasant Valley town,
Dutchess county. In 1881 he located upon
his present farm in the town of Clinton, to the
cultivation and improvement of which he has
since devoted his attention.

In Stanford town Mr. Husted was united
in marriage with Marj- Elizabeth Haight,
daughter of George Haight, and to them have
been born three children: Sarah H. is the wife
of Jordan Cornelius, of LaFayetteville, town
of Milan. Dutchess county; George L. was
married in the town of Washington, Septem-
ber 9, 1879, to Annie M. Sissons, and they
now make their home in Clinton town; and
Judson is a resident of Stanford town. Mr.
Husted, politically, votes with the Republican
party, and he is a man worthy of the regard in
which he is held by all.



LEONARD L. MOREY has for the last
thirty-two years been successfully oper-
ating on a fine farm in the town of Stanford,
Dutchess county, with most excellent results.
The place, with its tasteful and substantial
buildings, and its general air of thrift and com-
fort, forms one of the most attractive spots in
the landscape of the township. As a citizen
and business man, Mr. Morey stands high in
the esteem of his neighbors. He is a native



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHWAL RECORD.



483



of Dutchess county, born in the town of Wash-
ington January 17, 1825.

John Morey, grandfather of Leonard L.,
was born about 1767, in the town of Lagrange,
Dutchess county, where throughout life he
carried on agricultural pursuits. He was a
conscientious. Christian man, and a faithful
member of the Reformed Church. He mar-
ried Catherine Dean, who was born about
1770, and to them were born four children:
Elizabeth, Isaac, Margaret and John.

Isaac Morey, the father of our subject, was
born in the town of Lagrange March 4, 1798,
and there spent his early days. On reaching
manhood he was married in the town of Hyde
Park, Dutchess county, to Miss Maria Pells,
daughter of Evert and Deborah (Lewis) Pells,
and they became the parents of five children :
Evert P., Leonard Lewis, Deborah, Mary and
John. Leonard Lewis, grandfather of Mrs.
Isaac Morey, was the first judge of Dutchess
county. For about five years after his mar-
riage Isaac Morey engaged in the cultivation of
land in the town of Washington, at the end of
which time he came to Stanford town, where
he followed farming during the remainder of
his life. In political sentiment he was first a
Whig and later a Republican, while in matters
of religion he held membership with the Meth-
odist Episcopal Church of Bangall, N. Y. He
lived to an advanced age, dying in March,
1887; his wife passed away December 20,
1876, at the age of eighty-one jears.

The early life of our subject was spent
after the manner of most farmers' sons, his
education being carried on in the district schools
of the town of Stanford. He continued to
assist in the care and cultivation of the home
farm for five years after his marriage, October
17, 1850, in the town of Pine Plains, Dutchess
county, to Miss Elizabeth L. Hicks. This
estimable lady, who was the daughter of Ben-
jamin and Hannah (Couse) Hicks, was born
June II, 1830, and died December 20, 1887,
leaving many friends as well as her immediate
family to mourn her death. One child came
of this union: Ida J., born October 26, 1854,
married January 6, 1874, to Philip Dorland,
by whom she has two children: Anita, now
the wife of Emmer Haight. and has one child
— Ruth A., born November 29, 1895: and
Eula. The entire life of Mr. Morey has been
devoted to farming in the town of Stanford,
and there are few men in the community more
widely or favorably known, or who have a



larger list of warm friends



In politics he is
identified with the Republican party, and is a
strong believer in its principles.



JOHN HOPKINS, one of the enterprising,
energetic and industrious citizens of Hyde
Park, Dutchess county, conducts a drug
store there, and has done much toward pro-
moting the welfare of the place. By close
application to his business and good manage-
ment he has built up an excellent trade.

Mr. Hopkins is a native of Dutchess county,
his birth having occurred in the town of La-
grange, July 8, 1845, and he is a son of Will-
iam H. Hopkins, who was born in Putnam
county, N. Y. His paternal grandfather, Will-
iam G. Hopkins, was also a native of Putnam
county, and was one of the leading physicians
of Peekskill, N. Y. He married Elizabeth
Frost, of Croton Landing, N. Y., and to them
were born two sons and two daughters, namely:
William H. ; Calista, who became the wife of
Reuben Baldwin, of Mahopac, Putnam county;
Phcebe Jane; and Alonzo (deceased), who was
a farmer in Illinois. The grandfather died
in 1870.

The father of our subject was educated at
Yale College, and began the study of medicine
with his father, afterward graduating from the
College of Physicians and Surgeons, in New
York City. About 1838 he began practice for
himself at Sprout Creek, N. Y. . traveling
round to see his patients on horseback, with
his saddle bags. In 1868 he removed to Provi-
dence, R. I., where he also followed his pro-
fession, to some extent, until coming to Hyde
Park, two years later. Prior to 1S85 he en-
gaged in general practice, but from that time
until his death. May 23, 1890, he did mostly
an office practice, and was one of the leading
allopathic physicians of the community, receiv-
ing a liberal patronage from all the surround-
ing country. As a private citizen he took
quite an active interest in politics, voting with
the Republican party, and for a number of
years served as postmaster at Hyde Park. He
held membership with St. James Episcopal
Church, of which he was a vestryman, and
was serving as treasurer of same at the time of
his death, while early in life he belonged to the
Masonic fraternity. He was an intelligent,
cultured gentleman, thoroughly conversant
with his profession, and kept well-informed on
matters of general interest. Dr. Hopkins



484



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



married Jemima Van Benschoten, daughter of
Elias Van Benschoten, of Lagrange town, and
they became the parents of five children: Har-
riet (now deceased I ; Ehas, freight agent for
the West Shore railroad at Brooklyn, N. Y. ;
John, subject of this review; William G., who
is engaged in the manufacture of jewelry at
Providence, R. I. ; and Elizabeth, who died
at the age of twelve years.

John Hopkins, the subject proper of these
lines, attended the Poughkeepsie Academy,
finishing his literary training at the age of six-
teen, and in 1861 entered the drug store of
Wood & Tittamer, where he remained some
eight years, during which time he thoroughh'
learned the trade. Going to Providence, R. I.,
in 1869, he there engaged in the drug business
for two years, after which, for one year, he
was a member of the firm of Hopkins & Ar-
nold, conducting their store where Charles E.
Bowne is now located. Selling out to Charles
Mitchell, he entered the drug store of his
father, at Hyde Park, and in 1S93 purchased
the establishment, which is one of the oldest
stores of the kind in the village. Politically,
Mr. Hopkins is a stalwart Republican, strongly
endorsing the course of that party, and takes
quite an active interest in public affairs, being
treasurer of his School and Fire districts.



TIMOTHY HERRICK is a prominent and
well-known agriculturist of the town of
Hyde Park, Dutchess county, and the capable
superintendent of the e.xtensive farm of the
late William B. Dinsmore, known as "The
Locusts." He traces his ancestry in this
country back to Henric Herrick, who was
born in England in 1604, and became one of
the three original ancestors of the Herrick
family in America. He was the fifth son of
Sir William Herrick, who was born in 1557,
and lived at Beau Manor, in Leicestershire,
England. His father was John Eyrick (or
Heyrick), who was born in 15 13, in the same
county, and was a son of Thomas Eyrick, of
Houghton. The latter's father, Robert Ey-
rick, was born at Houghton about 1450, and
was a lineal descendant of Erick the Forester,
who was a Danish chief, and one of the in-
vaders of England during the reign of Alfred,
the Saxon King of Britain, by whom he was
overcome and compelled to settle in East
Anglia, in which is that part of England now



called Leicestershire, and where his descend-
ants still reside in great affluence.

Joseph Herrick. of Cherry Hill, Mass.,
was the son of Henric Herrick, the founder of
the family in the New World, and was born at
Salem, in 1645. Of him Upham's "Salem
Witchcraft " says: " He was a man of great
firmness and dignity of character, and, in ad-
dition to the care and management of his large
farm, was engaged in foreign commerce. As
he bore the title of Governor, he had probably
been at one time in command of a military
post or district, or perhaps at the West India
Colony. He was the acting constable of
Salem, and as such concerned in the early
proceedings connected with the witchcraft
prosecutions. For a while he was under the
delusion; but his strong and enlightened mind
soon led him out of it. He was one of the
petitioners in behalf of an accused person,
when intercession by any for any was highly
dangerous; and he was a leader in the party
that rose against the fanaticism, and vindicated
the character of its victims." His son John
was born January 25, 1670, and was the father
of Josiah, born February 6, 1704. The next
in direct line also bore the name of Josiah
Herrick. He was born November 10, 1733,
and became the father of Joseph Herrick, of
Beverly, Mass., who was born November 3,
1775- The father of our subject, Nathaniel.
Brown Herrick, was the latter's son, born at
Beverly, Mass., April 23, 1813, and removed
to Antrim, N. H., at the age of six years, with
his parents.

Timothy Herrick, the subject of this re-
view, was born at Antrim, N. H., October 19,
1836, and during his boyhood he supplemented
the knowledge acquired in the common schools
by a two-terms' attendance at an academy at
P'rancistown, N. H., securing an excellent ed-
ucation for those times. He has always been
much of a student, and has made a special
study of agriculture in all departments. At
the age of seventeen years he completed his
literary education, but continued working upon
his father's farm under that gentleman's most
able instructions, who instilled into his son thor-
ough-going business principles. In the winter
of 1856-57 he was employed by Esquire Dodge
(of Bennington, N. H.), an uncle of William
B. Dinsmore, and upon the former's recom-
mendation he became superintendent of "The
Locusts" for Mr. Dinsmore. The farm then
consisted of only 100 acres, and he had but



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



485



two men under him; but it has gradually grown
until it now comprises over 1,000 acres, and it
is now necessary to employ forty men in its
cultivation and improvement. For the last
forty years Mr. Herrick has had entire control
of the place, conducting it exactly as if
it were his own, and its interests have ever
been forwarded in his hands. He possesses
great executive ability, and is the peer of any
in his life endeavor. The place well indicates
his able management, industry and progressive
spirit.

In 1858, Mr. Herrick wedded Elizabeth
Muldoon, daughter of John Muldoon, of New
York City, and they have become the parents
of five children: ( i) George A., born July
20, 1859, is an engineer on ihe Hudson River
railroad, with residence at Croton, N. Y. (2)
Mary Elizabeth, born July 16, 1861, married
Eugene \'. Daly; after graduating at a female
medical college, she practiced her profession in
New York City for twelve years, during which
time she became well known; she is quite tal-
ented, and is very popular among her acquaint-
ances. (3) Luella J., born August 26, 1864,
is the wife of Dr. Barker, of Woodside, Long
Island. (4) John]., born April 5, 1866, is a
graduate of Cornell University, and is now
superintendent of the Department of Docks
in New York City. (5) Albert E., born Janu-
ary 19, 1869, is connected with the National
Ice Co. , of New York City.

In politics, Mr. Herrick is a strong adher-
ent of the doctrines of the Democratic party,
and takes considerable interest in local affairs.
In 1871-72, and again in 1884-85, he served
as supervisor of the town of Hyde Park, and has
frequently been urged to accept other offices in
the county. He is prominently connected with
the Masonic order, belonging to Rhinebeck
Lodge No. 432, F. & A. M., at Rhinebeck; the
Royal Arch Chapter No. 45, at Kingston, N. Y.,
and of the Knights Templar, at Poughkeepsie.



ENRY S. MARSHALL, an enterprising
and progressive agriculturist of the town
of Washington, Dutchess county, is of pioneer
stock, his ancestors in more than one line of
descent having been early residents of the
county.

His grandfather, Henry S. Marshall, was
born in Pleasant \'alle3', and married Sarah
Gifford, a native of Stanford, by whom he had
six children: Susan, Ann, John Gifford, Theo-



dore, Caroline and Edward H., none of whom
are now living, except Edward H. Marshall,
of Millbrook. He is a leading farmer of the
town of Hyde Park, and a well-known auc-
tioneer; he is a Hicksite Quaker in religious
faith, and in politics a Democrat.

John Gifford Marshall, our subject's father,
was born in the town of Hyde Park, July 16,
1824, and died there March 8, 1892, having
always lived at the old homestead, following
agriculture as an occupation. His education
was carefully supervised at home in early boy-
hood, and later he entered Jacob Willett's
Boarding School in the town of Washington.
Like his ancestors, he was a member of the
Society of Friends. He was married in Hyde
Park to Phcebe Jane Marshall, daughter of
Henry B. Marshall, a prominent resident of
that town. Of the three children of this union
our subject was the youngest; the others are:
(i) Leonora married Oliver H. Drew; (2)
Theodore, deceased, married Anna Foreman.

Henry S. Marshall was born April 6, 1861,
in the town of Hyde Park, and was reared at
the old homestead. He attended the public
schools there for some time, and was then sent
to Gideon Frost's school on Long Island, and
De Garmo Institute at Rhinebeck. He mar-
ried Miss Vernie Smith, daughter of George
P. Smith, a leading citizen of Clinton Corners,
and has three children: Atherton G. , Gifford
H. and George S. Mr. Marshall has been
engaged in farming in Hyde Park and the town
of Washington since he first began in business
for himself. He is active and influential in
local affairs, and at present holds the office of
school director at Clinton Corners.



JOHN H. ENSIGN, a well-known resident
of Dover Plains, Dutchess county, is one
of the most valued employes of the Harlem
Railroad Company, having been in their service
for a quarter of a century. He was born in
Dover Plains in 1845, and after attending the
schools of that place during boyhood entered
the employ of the railroad company as brake-
man, and his faithful discharge of his duties
soon led to his promotion to the position of
conductor. He is actively interested in local
affairs, and is a member of the Masonic frater-
nity. Lodge No. 666, of Dover. In 1882 he
married Miss Ida \'incent, of Dover, and thej'
have one son, John O. Ensign, born in 1885.
The Ensign family is of New England



480



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



origin, and our subject's grandfather, Asa
Ensign, was born and educated in Massachu-
setts. He was a blacksmith by trade, and
came in early manhood to Dutchess county,
locating in the town of Dover, where he and
his wife, Catherine, reared a family of six
children: John, our subject's father; Samuel,
who married (first) Julia Orton, and (second)
Adelia Hubbel; Stillman, who married Amy
Sherman; Eliza and Maria, who never mar-
ried; and Sarah, the wife of Harrison Sherman.

John Ensign was born in the town of Dover,
Dutchess county, in 1800, and on leaving
school he learned the carpenter's trade. He
then engaged in contracting and building, and
followed this business throughout his life. He
married Miss Almira Manchester, daughter of
Stephen Manchester (a well-known blacksmith
of Dover) and his wife Elizabeth. Five chil-
dren were born of this union: Eliza, who is
not married; Emily, the wife of John E. Ben-
son; Mary, who died at twenty-six years of
age; John H., our subject; and Catherine, who
died in infancy.

Mrs. Ensign is a descendant of one of the
old families of the town of Dover, Dutchess
county, her grandfather, Jonathan Vincent,
having been a native of that locality. He
married Miss Martha Duncan, and settled upon
a farm there, where their eight children were
born and reared. William married Ann
Eggleston; Allen, Mrs. Ensign's father, is men-
tioned below; Isaac married (first) Jane A.
Beers, and (second) Imogene Butts; George
married Amanda Coolie; Leonard and Edgar
are not married; E. Ann married William
Colby; and Amanda was the wife of Oscar
Wilcox. Allen Vincent grew to manhood in
the town of Dover, and engaged in agriculture.
His wife was Miss Mary Stage, daughter of
David and Mary Stage, prominent residents of
Dover Plains. Mrs. Ensign was the eldest of
six children. Of the others, Addie married
George Vincent; Mary — Martin Wilcox; Mar-
tha — William Brown; Augusta — Fred Wilcox;
Daisy is not married.



JOHN A. FRALEIGH. The name of this
gentleman is well and favorably known
throughout the town of Red Hook, Dutch-
ess county, where he is prosperously engaged
in farming. The family have long been resi-
dents of that locality, of which Peter Fraleigh
(2), (a son of Peter Fraleigh (i) ), the grand-



father of our subject, was a native (born Feb-
ruary 25, 1772, died October 8, 1853), and
there he followed agricultural pursuits through-
out life. He was twice married, his first union
being with a Miss Teator, by whom he had
two children, both now deceased; Katie, who
became the wife of William Feller; and Peter,
who married Lany Link. After the death of
his first wife, Mr. Fraleigh wedded Mrs.
Catherine (Coon) Cooper, a widow.

The only child born of the latter union was
George W. Fraleigh, the father of our subject,
whose birth occurred in the town of Red Hook,
June 6, 1S16. After completing his education
he took up farming, and made that occupation
his life work. In the old training days he was
a member of a company of cavalry; in early
life held a number of township offices, and he
was a stalwart Republican in politics. He
was united in marriage November 28, 1838,
with Miss Regina Waldorf (who was born April
23, 1820), a daughter of Capt. William Wal-
dorf, and five children were born to them:
Peter W., who married Helen Crandall, and
is now deceased; John A., subject of this
sketch; Monroe, who married Gertrude Martin;
Rosalie; and Philip E. , who wedded Phoebe
K. Conklin. The father of these died July
15, 1866, the mother on December 28, 1870,
and they are both buried in the M. E. ceme-
tery at Red Hook.

Our subject was born in the town where
he still makes his home, and was there edu-
cated. Reared beneath the parental roof-
tree, he remained with his father and mother,
assisting in the manual labor incident to the
life of an agriculturist, until 1S69, when he
secured a position in the New York post ofBce
under Postmaster James, being appointed by
Governor Fenton. After leaving that employ,
he returned to the town of Red Hook and
assumed the management of his father's farm,
which he purchased after the latter's death in
1 87 1. He has since conducted the farm with
remarkable success, and is one of the reliable
and most esteemed membersof the community.
He makes a specialty of dairy and fruit farm-
ing, and by the exercise of industry and ex-
cellent management his efforts have been re-
warded with a well-merited success. In 1871,
Mr. Fraleigh was united in marriage with
Miss Irene Curtis, daughter of John Curtis, of
Red Hook, and three children now grace their
union: Curtis, born June 24, 1872; Rosalie M.,
born May 5, 1875; ^"d Herbert E., born De-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



487



cember 27, 1877. Of these, Curtis is a clerk
in the hardware store of P. E. Fraleigh, at
Red Hook; Rosalie M. is receiving her edu-
cation at Dr. Clark's, Tivoli, and at Mrs.
Currie's, Albany; and Herbert E. is attending
Moody's school at Mt. Hermon, preparing
himself for the study of civil engineering.
Mrs. Fraleigh was born September 2, 1845,
in the town of Red Hook, and received her
education at the Stocking Academy (afterward
known as the De Garmo Classical Institute),
Rhinebeck. Her father, John Curtis, was a
native of Rhinebeck, born February 17, 18 18,
married Jane B. Beaumont, a native of York-
shire, England, and to them were born eight
children, to wit: LeGrand, in the Hudson
River Hospital; Edwin S., a captain in the
U. S. regular army, having joined in 1861;
Irene (Mrs. John A. Fraleigh); Florence,
Grace and Willis (all three deceased); Herbert
J., of Red Hook; and J. Canfield (deceased).
Mrs. Fraleigh's grandfather, LeGrand Curtis,
was a native of Trumbull, Conn., and was a
son of Capt. John Curtis, who was a captain
in the Light Horse during the Revolutionary
war, and is interred at Barrytown, in Dutchess
county.



E



'\ LATHROP BARRETT, one of the most



El/ i progressive and enterprising agriculturists
of the town of Northeast, Dutchess county,
and the owner of a fine farm near Coleman
Station, was born in that vicinity August 30,
1858. His grandfather, the late E. Lathrop
Barrett, a native of Norwich, Conn., came to
Dutchess county in early manhood, locating
first at Pine Plains, and later in the town of
Northeast. He was a carpenter by trade, but
after purchasing a tract of 120 acres of land in
Northeast, he devoted his time to its cultiva-
tion, and became noted for his successful man-
agement. He married Rhoda Dakin, daugh-
ter of Caleb Dakin, and a descendant of one
of the earliest settlers of the town. He died
in 1857, and his wife in i860. They had five
children: Sarah Louise, Dakin, Edward L. ,
Myron, and Oliver, our subject's father.

During his boyhood the subject of this
sketch attended the district schools near his
home, and a private school in Sharon, Conn.,
later studying for one year in Cazenovia Sem-
inary, a Methodist institution at Cazenovia,
N. Y., receiving a good English education.
As he has always been a reader, he has ac-



quired a large fund of information on subjects
of general interest. At nineteen years of age
he returned home, where he remained for some
time, but on June 16, 1881, he entered the
service of the Harlem Railroad Co. , as agent
at Coleman Station, having the entire charge
of their interests there. He remained twelve
years without interruption, with the exception
of a six-months' leave of absence.

He married Miss Alice N. Clark, a member
of one of the oldest families of Northeast, and
a daughter of Philo W. Clark, a well-known
farmer there. They have one son, Raymond
Lathrop, born June 21, 1894, and one daugh-
ter, Louisa Alice, born April 16, 1896. In
1892 Mr. Barrett purchased Mr. Clark's farm



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 94 of 183)