J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of New Haven county, Connecticut, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens and of many of the early settled families .. online

. (page 131 of 204)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of New Haven county, Connecticut, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens and of many of the early settled families .. → online text (page 131 of 204)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


iness on Church street. Mr. Brainard formed a
partnershi]) with Irving Wilco.x, under the name
of Brainard & Wilcox, which continued until 181^7,
at which time he sold out to his partner and entered
the employ of the Pope ^Ifg. Co.; subsequently ac-
cepting a position with the firm of Ives, Uphani &
Rand, in charge of their bicycle department. He
continued there until Feb. i, 1898, when he was ap-
pointed street superintendent by the board of jnib-
lic works, under Mayor Ives, which position he
filled to the satisfaction of the public until May
18, 190T, at which date he resigned to enter the
employ of the H. Wales Lines Company.

Mr, Brainard was one of the charter memi)ers
of the Meriden Wheel Club when it was organized
in 1882. During the nast fifteen years he has taken
an active interest in every movement which would
further the interests of Meriden cyclists, being the
promoter and builder of the first cycle path in the
State, from Meriden to North Haven, and was the
instigator of the Connecticut Federation of Cyclists,
which was organized in this city, and which now
has many thousand members, and has shown its
power in Connecticut legislation. This organization
is recognized as a powerful factor in the good roads
movement, and is responsible for the enactment of
the first and only distinctly bicycle laws that were
ever passed by a Connecticut legislature. Mr. Brain-
ard is president of the Federation and his popularity
in local wheeling circles has been fully attested.
I'or four years he was treasurer of the Meriden
Wheel Club, and has been its efficient president for
the last eight years. Conducting to a successful
issue, as chairman of the Race Meet Committee, the
three national circuit race meets of "95-96-97, Mr.
Brainard personallv supervised and constructed the
track for these events uj^n original lines, the re-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1249



suit beingf the lowerinp; of many records and a rep-
utation to Mcriden of the fastest half mile track in
tlie country.

In ined up a practice which at the time
of his death was one of the best in the city.

For ten years Dr. Flanagan was faithful to his



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1251



jiaiicnts, givinef universal satisfaction. A skilled
practitioner, he also worked with love for his pro-
fession and succeeded where others who look upon
dcntistrv entirely from a sordid view, would prob-
ably fail. .\ot only was he a close student, but his
conifortahle apartments were supplied with all mod-
ern ajiplianccs known in the profession. Absorbed
in it he took very little interest in politics and voted
indeijendently, as his judement dictated.

Dr. Flanagan was married to Miss Catherine
Mahan, a daughter of Thomas P. Mahan, one of
the respected citizens of Meriden, and both he and
his estimable wife were consistent members of the
Catholic Church. Fraternally Dr. Flanagan was
a member of the T. A. B. Society and the Royal
Arcanum, while professionally he belonged to the
State Dental Society. He enjoyed the esteem and
confidence of the people of this community, and his
death at the earlv age of thirty-eight years was
deeply lamented.

I-REDERICK BYROX HILL, associate of the
American College of ^lusicians, and organist of the
First Congregational Church, of Meriden, as well
as a successful composer of music, is one of the best
known young men of Aleriden and a representative
of one of the oldest families in Xew Haven county.
He was born in the town of W'allingford, Conn., in
1871, a son of Byron and Emma Augusta (Howd)
Hill.

ISyron Hill was born in 1841, a son of William
Hill (born 1796) and Susan (Hull) Hill (born
about 1810). With his father he operated a farm
and also a shop for woodturning, but later retired
to his farm, where he now resides. His wife was
horn in 1852 in W'allingford and was a daughter of
William and Lucinda (Tuttle) Howd. Three chil-
dren were born of this union : Frederick B. ; Elmer,
born in 1873, died when young; and Linus Atwater,
born in 1875. is a successful jeweler of Wallingford,
and by his wife, Ethel (Lucas), has one child, Ivan
Lucas.

Frederick \\. Hill was born in the Hill home-
stead in Xorth I'arms, near Wallingford, Xov. 27,
1871. His primary education was secured in the
public schools of Wallingford, and he early com-
menced the study of music, at first under the direc-
tion of Miss Xellie Hall, of Wallingford, and Prof.
James Pre.scott, of Meriden. Later (1894) he be-
came the pupil of E. M. Bowman, of Steinway Hall.

' New York, devoting himself to piano and theory.

'■ In April, 1892, Mr. Hill secured his first appoint-
ment as organist, in Wallingford, began teaching
the piano and played first violin in an orches-

: tra. which he himself led. He received the
appointment as organist and choir director in

' the First Congregational Church, Meriden. in

' April, 1895. In 1896 Mr. Hill successfully passed
an examination in piano and theory before the ex-
aminers for the American College of Musicians, in
Xew York, and also covered the organ examination,



having pursued his studies in that branch with
S. P. Warren. Mr. Hill's touch is extremely versa-
tile ; he has studied Bach thoroughly and can prop-
erly interpret Beethoven and Chopin, and he has
received the most favorable press notices, as well
as the highest encomiums on his touch and rendi-
tion from brother artists.

At the First Congregational Church of Meriden
Mr. Hill has developed an excellent choir, and has
given sev^eral series of recitals, which have been
among the most popular Meriden has ever known.
His large class of pupils — piano, organ and theory —
is steadily increasing, and he has secured a substan-
tial place in the respect of the people of Meriden, as
well as in the musical world generally. Mr. Hill has
composed for the voice, piano and orchestra, music
which has met with a very flattering reception.

On June 2, 1897, Mr. Hill was married, in Meri-
den, to Miss Bertha Ilotchkiss Camp, a daughter of
Nelson Hinman and Mary (Butler) Camp. Mrs.
Hill is a lady of refinement, highly educated and
deeply sympathetic with her husband's work. The
home life of Mr. and Mrs. Hill is ideal, and they
gather alxjut them a most congenial circle of friends.
Mr. Hill is deeply interested in the Y. M. C. A., of
which he is librarian, and presents to his associates
a rare example of Christian manhood.

DR. FRAXK G. ATWOOD is, though one of
the youngest business men of Xew Haven, by no
means one of the least known, for as proprietor of
the largest veterinary hospital in the State and of
the Metropolitan Stables, at No. 127 Meadow street,
he has at an unusually early age gained a firm foot-
hold among the enterprising citizens of his adopted
place. If heredity counts for anything he was born
to his chosen calling, for his father has also been
a most successful veterinary surgeon, though he
has not devoted himself entirely to practice.

The Atwood family is one of the oldest in Wood-
bury. Litchfield Co., this State, where our subject's
grandfather. \\'illiam R. Atwood. was born. He
was well educated and taught in both public and
private schools, and he also followed the vocation
of farming. William R. .A.twood was one of the
well known residents of Woodbury in his day and
was regarded by his fellow citizens as a man of
exceptionally good judgment and uprightness of
character. He and his wife were devout members
of the M. E. Church, in the work of which he took
' an active part, being especially interested in the
' Sunday-school, in wliich he taught, and of which
he served as superintendent. He died at the age of
forty-five years, his wife, Roxey, who like himself
was a native of Woodbury, living to the age of sixty-
seven. They had a family of six children, four of
whom survive: \'estina. who married Dr. Elisha
Munger. of Xew London ; Orvesta, who married
Orion Morehouse and resides near Xew Preston,
Conn.: Frank J., our subject's father: and William
R., a farmer of Thomaston, Connecticut.



i2;2



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Frank J. Atwood was born in Woudbuiy and
has passed all his life on the place of his birth. He
took up the study of veterinary medicine and sur-
gery, which he has continued to jiracticc in connec-
tion with fanning, and has been quite successful.
He has served as selectman and in other local offices
and is highly respected in his locality. Frank J.
Atwood married .Miss Ellen Capcwell, of West
Woodbury, and they have had eiglit chidrcn, six
of whom are still living: Edna R. : l-'rank G., wliose
name opens tliis sketch ; Ellsworth, a resident of
Middlebury; Warren S., who is a butcher in Wood-
bury ; and Margaret B. and Grover C., who are Still
under the home roof. The parents attend, the M.
E. Church. Mrs. Atwood's father, Joseph Cape-
well, was a prominent man in the business circles of
West Side and later Oakville, in Litchfield county,
where he was engaged as a manufacturer of am-
munition supplies and also conducted a machine
shop. He died at the age of sixty-three, his wife,
whose maiden name was Pitts, at the age of sixty-
four. They were identified with the M. E. Church.

Frank G. Atwood was born Feb. 24, 1875, '"
Woodbury, where he remained with his parents up
to the age of twelve, after which he lived with his
father's uncle, Chauncey Atwood, until he was nine-
teen. His literary education was acquired in the
common schools of Woodbury and the Storrs Agri-
cultural College. He pursued his professional stud-
ies in the Toronto College of Veterinary Medicine
and Surgery, graduating from \'eterinary Depart-
ment in i8y6, in which year he commenced prac-
tice. His first work was as State Veterinarian on
Tuberculosis, in 1896-97, and he has since been in
general practice in New Haven except during the
time he served in the Spanish-American war and
the various periods he has spent in post-graduate
work in his line. No better evidence of his devo-
tion to the science and earnest desire to thoroughly
master it in every detail is needed than a record of
his faithful and persistent study. His post-gradu-
ate courses have been pursued at Yale and the
Johns Hopkins University, Department of Medicine,
which latter institution he attended in 1897, 1898
and 1899, taking post-graduate work in general
medicine and surgery. He was in the United States
service nine months, beginning with February, 1898,
as a specialist, being engaged on microscopical and
X-ray work in the .Army Medical Aluseum, at Wash-
ington, D. C. under the surgeon general.

In Noveml>er, 1899, Dr. .'\twood became a part-
ner of John E. Cook in the Metropolitan Stables. No.
127 Meadow street, and shortly afterward bought
out that gentleman. He has since been sole pro-
prietor of this well equipped livery establishment,
where about thirty higli grade horses are kept, and
he enjoys a fine patronage. Dr. Atwood leaves the
care of this business, however, to his manager,
George H. Robinson, his attention being given to
the management of his veterinary hospital. No. 129
Meadow street and Nos. 43 to 45 Prout street,



where he has accommodation for fifty-five horses.
Many successful operations have been performed
there and the hospital has grown to its present pro-
portions througli the reputation which the Doctor
has earned for reliability, efficiency and absolute
trustworthiness. That a man should gain so great
a success in so brief a period is astonishing, and tho
heights he has reached thus early in life hold prom-
ises of even wider fields of usefulness in the future
Within the past few years the profession which our
subject has ado])ted has come to be regarded with
a due sense of its imoortance, and golden oppor-
tunities lie before those who are not afraid to be
the pioneers in its development along broader lines.
On Oct. 17, 1900. Dr. Atwood was united in
marriage with Miss Mai A. Lockwood, daughter of
Samuel G. Lockwood, of \\'ilton. Conn., where he
owns a large farm. Mr. Lockwood is also interested
in New York real estate. His family consisted of
two children, Charles and Mai A. Dr. and Mrs. At-
wood are members of Trinity 'M. E. Church. He
is a Republican in political sentiment, and a mem-
ber of the Young Men's Republican Club. Thougli
no office-seeker, he believes that every citizen should
serve his comnumity when he possesses special fit-
ness for duty, and he is at present acting as humane
agent for the State of Connecticut. The Doctor
and his wife reside at No. 158 Whalley avenue,
which piece of property was recetitly purchased of
William E. Roberts.

CHARLES AUGUSTUS BLACKSTONE, a
prominent farmer of Branford, is a descendant of
Rev. William Blackstone, the first of the family in
America, who settled in Boston in 1623 or 1625.

William Blackstone w-as the first white settler
and owner of the territory on w Inch Boston is built.
The name Blackstone is a famous one for various
reasons. Sir William Blackstone, the eminent En-
glish jurist, whose commentaries are the first books
put into the hands of every law student, was a
posthumcus child, and his mother also died before he
was twelve years of age. He was born in London
July 10, 1723, was educated by friends, and by his
literary labors has kept the name in great honor to
this day.

The William Blackstone who first built at Boston



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of New Haven county, Connecticut, containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens and of many of the early settled families .. → online text (page 131 of 204)