self and wife were members of the M. E. Church.
James A. Knox attended the public schools of
Boston until he was fourteen years old, and at the
age of nineteen began to learn the trade of paper
box making in his native city, and followed the
same there until 1887. In July of the same year he
came to Waterbur\-. where he has ever since engaged
with the Waterbury Mfg. Co., and at present has
charge of the paper box and printing department.
In April, 1872, Mr. Kno.x was united in mar-
riage with Theresa G. Morey, who was born in
Boston, Mass. Five children have been bom of
this union: Joseph A., Clara I., William M.,
Charles H. and Mary T. Mr. Knox is prominent
as a member of the Knights of Pythias, the Ancient
Order United Workmen, and the L^ited Order of
American Mechanics. He has filled all the chairs
in these orders, and at the present time is pre-
siding president of the past masters' organization,
A. O. U. W., of the State of Connecticut. In poli-
tics he is a Republican, and in 1893-94 was coun-
cilman from the Second ward of Waterbury, and
is now a member of the board of public safety, and
was recently elected a member of the bureau of
FRANK M. BROWN, formerly an enter-
prising and successful young business man of Alil-
ford, was born Nov. 30, 1863, at Ridgefield, Fair-
field Co., Conn., a son of Silas and Jennie (Mead)
Silas Brown, who followed shoemaking in
Ridgefield throughout his active years, was a na-
tive of Putnam county, N. Y., while his wife was
born in Ridgefield. This worthy couple had seven
children, viz. : Julia, James, Ella, Josephine, Edith,
Frank M. (our subject) and Winfield (deceased).
As a boy Frank M. Brown attended school in
Ridgefield, and in 1880, when seventeen years old,
he went to Milford to find employment in a shoe,
factory. After working for several years with
more or less irregularity, he determined to engage
in an independent business and in 1894 he opened
up a line of sporting goods, cigars and bicycles.
The central telephone ofiice, which was located in
his store, was also under his direction. Mr. Brown
is now located in Bridgeport. On Sept. 13, 1883,
he married Miss Lillian Porter, daughter of George
H. Porter, a well-known resident of Milford, and
they have one child, Miriam, now (1901) aged nine
years. Mr. and Mrs. Brown were popular S(x:ially,
and the latter is a member of the Alethodist Episco-
pal Church. Mr. Brown belongs to the I. O. O. F.
and the A. O. U. W., and during his residence there
was an active worker in the Milford Fire r>epart-
nient. In politics he afliliates with the Democratic
party, and at one time he served as constable.
JOHN J. SULLIVAN, one of the progressive
and successful business men of New Haven, occu-
pying the important position of foreman of the
plating department of the New Haven Clock Co.,
engaging also as proprietor of an undertaking es-
tablishment, at 342 Grand avenue, is a native of
New Haven, born in that city Dec. 17, 1864, and
is of Irish ancestry. His father, Willianii Sullivan,
was well known in New Haven, where he located
in 1840, but the paternal grandfather, who lived
and farmed and died in Ireland, never came ta
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
America. William Sullivan, who was born in
County Cork, Ireland, and who engaged in the shoe
Jnisiness during his years of activity, married
iiridget Calahan, also of County Cork, Ireland, who
survives him, his death having occurred in 1891.
Five children were born of this marriage : Owen,
who died at the age of twelve; Margaret, who died
at the age of four ; Mary, who niarrieti James How-
ard, of New Haven, the latter now deceased ;
Thomas, who is a successful contractor in this city ;
and John J.
John J. Sullivan spent his boyhood days in New
Haven, and received his education in the public
schools, graduating from the high school in 1881.
About this time he went to work for the New Ha-
ven Clock Co., and has since been one of their
valued employes, occupying the responsible posi-
tion of foreman in the plating department. Although
deeply interested in his work, and qualified there-
for by years of practical experience, he is also en-
gaged in other business enterprises, one of which
is the undertaking business on Grand avenue.
July 12, 1893, Mr. Sullivan married Nellie Hart,
of New Haven, daughter of James Hart, who came
■to America from County Sligo, Ireland. Two chil-