selling out to Charles Blair. . Mr. Fosdick was not
long idle, and bought his present establishment from
a Mr. Trumpbour, who had done both a wholesale
and retail business in a small way. Under the en-
ergetic management of Mr. Fosdick the business has
steadily increased until now five wagons are in use,
and as many bakers are employed. Mr. Fosdick
undoubtedly commands the most extensive patron-
age of any man in his line in the city, and is known
as one of the oldest business men there, having been
engaged in his present place for more than twenty
years. His customers, both wholesale and retail.
are found in Seymour, Shelton and Derby, as well
as Ansonia, and as he turns out the best of goods
they are more than satisfied. Mr. Fosdick gives
close personal attention to all the details of his
business. In 1889 he purchased his present prop-
erty, on which he has made many and expensive
improvements. He also owns" a small farm, where
he keeps cows to jirovide the luilk for his baking
business. There arc ten horses in his stables, and
they receive the best of care : he has not lost a
horse for sixteen years, and their fine appearance
shows the touch of a kindly hand.
Mr. Fosdick was married, in 1887, to Miss Katy
Vandcrcook. a daughter of William Vandercook,
of .Mbany, N. Y., where she was born. Mrs. Fos-
dick is one of a family of four children. To her
union with our subject have come five children:
Horace G., Willard. Annie. Lottie and Charles H.
In political sentiment Mr. Fosdick is a Repub-
lican. He isi regarded as (nic oi the leading citi-
zens of his comnumity. He is a member of Nauga-
tuck Lodge, I. O. O. F., with which he has been
connected since he was twenty-one, was secretary
of the lodge three terms, and for several years was
an active worker in the Temple of Honor. In re-
ligious connection he unites with the Baptist
Church, where he has served as trustee and secre-
tary for three years.
EDWARD M. STANLEY, one of the many
reliable and capable workmen of which the city of
Walerbury boasts, was born Feb. 24, 1859, in
Hoj)eville, town of Waterbury.
William Stanley, his father, was born in Bir-
mingham, luigland. son of William Stanley, who
came from Birmingham in 1829. The latter was
the grandfather of William J., J. L. and Frederick
E. Stanley, whose skuches appear elsewhere.
William Stanley, father of Edward M., was brought
to Waterbury by his ])arents when a lad of seven
years, and died there Sept. 30, 1875. When a boy
he entered the button shop of Mr. Benedict, and
when old enough he learned the trade of brass roll-
ing. Failing health drove him from the factory,
and in 1848 he engaged in the carriage trimming
business, catering to the trade. For some years he
was engaged in business in New York City and
Xewark, N. J. In 1863 he came back to \Vater-
bury and helped to form the Carrington Manufac-
turing Co., of which he was treasurer for some
tmie. Then, disposing of his interest in that firm,
he helped form the Matthews & Stanley Manufac-
turing Co., of which he was treasurer until his
death. He was a devoted friend, and earnest in his
advocacy of every good cause. He was well known
in Masonic circles, and was recognized as a faith-
ful worker in the First IMethodist Church. For his
first wife William Stanley marrieu Phoebe For-
rest, who died early in life. Betsey Miller, his sec-
ond wife, was born in Ancram, Columbia Co.,
N. 'N'.. daughter of Silas Miller, a farmer of that
re4;ioii_. who speiU his later life at Salisbury. Conn.,
wnerc he died at the age of ninety years. William
Stanley and his wife Betsey were the parents of
three children : William, Perry and Edward M.
William died April 11. 1857, at the age of three
years, and Perry died Nov. 16, 1862, at the age of
Edward M. Stanley spent his boyhood days in
Hopeville, where he attended the local school. His
higher education was obtained in the Waterbury
high school and a private school at Riverside,
where he spent three years. The young man be-
gan his life work in the shops of the Matthews &
Willard Manufacturing Co., where he became a
skilled burnisher and toolmaker, and where he
worked for seven years. In 1889 he entered the
factory of the Scovill Manufacturing Co., as a tool-
maker, and has remained with that well-known firm
to the present time.
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
On Nov. I, 1893, Mr. Stanley married Miss
Helen M. Moshier, who was born in Waterbury,
]\Iarch 15, 1870, a daughter of Augustus and
Georgiana (Darling) Moshier. Her grandfather,
Charles Mosier, changed his name to Moshier. He
was of German extraction. In early life he was or-
dained an Episcopal minister, but in later years he
followed the trade of a wheel-wright. He died
Nov. 24, 1855. Augustus Moshier was born in the
city of New York, Feb. 7, 1841, and died Jan. 27,
1900. He was a carpenter by trade, and carried on
xhv business of contractor and builder. Ills witc
was born in New York City, Dec. 25, 1850, and is
still living. They had six children: Helen M.
(Mrs. Stanley), Charles A., Sarah A., Gtnrgiana.
Susan A. and Edith M. Charles A. is a machinist
with, the Scovill Manufacturing Co. Sarah A. mar-
ried George W. Morse, of Cheshire, Conn. Georgi-
ana married Edwin A. Jessell, of Waterbury.
iSusan and Edith are still in school.
Mr. and Mrs. Stanley are the parents of two
xTiildren: Margaret M., born Sept. 26, 1899, died
Oct. 3, 1899; William A. was born June 24, 1901.
Mr. Stanley is a Republican politically. He be-
longs to Townsend Lodge, No. 8q. I. O. O. F.,
Comstock Lodge, No. 13. K. of P.. and to Mizpah
Colony, No. 163, United Order of Pilgrim
Fathers. He attends St. John's Episcopal Church.
JOHN PATRICK CALLAHAN, assistant su-
perintendent of the Branford Lock Works, Bran-
ford, is a native of Connecticut, born June 30, 1856,
in New Haven.
John P. Callahan, son of John Callaghan (for
so he spelled his name), was l^orn in County Cork,
Ireland, and about the year 1845 came to this coun-
try, landing at New York, where for a time he was
master workman at the carriage-spring making
trade. He made carriage springs that were ex-
hibited at the "Great Exhibition" (World's Ex-
position) held in London, England, at the "Crystal
Palace," in 1851. He married Ellen Collins in New
York City, then removed from there to Newark,
N. J., and thence, about the year 1850, to New
Haven, where he spent the remainder of his days,
dying in 1868. His children who grew to maturity
were: Ellen, Mother Basilia, of St. Patrick's
Academy, Chicago, 111. ; Mary, Mother Philomena,
of St. Bernard's Convent, Nashville, Tenn. ; John
Patrick ; and William J.
John P. Callahan, our subject, was reared in his
native city. New Haven, and received his education
in part at the public and parochial schools ; after
commencing work he attended night school. In
1868, when but twelve years old. he began work
in the lock works of -Mallory, Wheeler & Co., New
Haven, and in course of lime learned the trade of
lock fitter, remaining in their emnloy ten years. In
1879 he removed to Branford, where he has since
been engaged with the Branford Lock Works.
On Jan. 7, 1880, Mr. Callahan was united in
marriage with Alice T. Carney, daughter of James
and Margaret (Cusick) Carney, of Branford, form-
erly of Ireland, and six children, all yet liviHg,
have been born to them: Margaret, B. T., John
L., James P., William N'incciit and Gerald. The
entire family are members of the Catholic Church.
Socially ^Ir. Callahan is a member of the Knights
of Columbus, and one of the organizers of Eldred
Council, No. 10, of Branford, of which he is
financial secretary : is also a member of the N. E. O.
of P., and of the Y. & T. Mutual Benefit Society;
and a member of the Branford Agriculture and Hor-
ticultural Society, of which he is secretary. He has
lield various public positions, having served as grand
juror, auditor and tax collector, and at present he
represents Branford in the State Legislature ; he is
clerk of the committee on Manual and Roll.
The Callaghans (for such is the usual spelling
of the name) are prominent people in Ireland. Pat-
rick Callaghan, an uncle of our subject, is a large
land owner in County Cork, and enjoys the dis-
tinction of never having had trouble with his ten-
ants, something unusual on the "ould sod." One of
his sons is a bishop in the Catholic Church in Ire-
land, and altogether the family enjoy high standing.
AUSTIN B. PIERPONT. proprietor of a thriv-
ing meat market, milk depot, etc., in the city of
Waterbury, was born in that town Feb. 11, 1849,
on the same farm on which his father, Charles J.
Pierpont, was born..
Ezra Pierpont, great-grandfather of our sub-
ject, was also in all probability born in the town
of Waterbury. He was a farmer, served in the
war of the Revolution, and was quite prominent in
town affairs, serving long as a selectman, and also
filling several other offices. He reared several chil-
dren, among whom were Seabury, Lutlier, .Austin
(grandfatlier of our subject). Stiles and Joseph.
.All the sons became farmers and lived in the town
of Waterbury. Luther and Austin served in the
war of 1812.
Austin Pierpont, grandfather of Austin ]>., was
a prosperous farmer. He married Sally Bcecher,
of Waterbury. Of the children born to them seven
reached maturity, viz.: Enos A., Ezra A., Minerva,
Charles J. (father of our subject). Jennette, XN'ill-
iam S. and Ellen. Enos A. was a farmer and
butcher in Waterbury, where he died. Ezra A.
was also a farmer and oyster ])eddler in the same
town, and there ended his days. Minerva married
Amos Moss, a farmer, carpenter and sawmill and
cidermill proprietor of Cheshire. Jennette became
the wife of Amos J. Beers, a wholesale fruit dealer
in New Haven. William S. was a carpenter in
Waterbury. Ellen married Lorenzo Peck, a mer-
chant of New Haven. The father of this family
met an untimely fate bv a stroke of lightning, Init
not until he had rounded out a useful and bene-
Charles J. Pierpont, fatlier of our subject, was
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
a farmer and butcher in Waterbiiry, where he
passed liis entire life. He married .Mary A. Warn-
er; a native of the town, and a daughter of Jarcd
Warner, a farmer ; he was a soldier of the war of
1812. Justis Warner, father of Jared, was also a
farmer, and descended from one of the oldest
families in the county. After their marriage Mr.
and Mrs. Charles J. Pierpont settled on the home
farm, where they reared their six children, viz. :
Charles J. is water inspector of Waterbury (he is
mentioned elsewhere) ; Austin B. is the subject
proper of this sketch ; Ellen C. married George W.
Conner, proprietor of an express line from Water-
bury to New Haven ; Wilson L. is a farmer and
milkdealer in Waterbury ; Merritt E. is a grocer in
the city: Mary Ann married Charles S. Miller, a
mechanic of Waterbury. In politics the father of
this family was a Democrat, and in their church
relationship the family are Episcopalians.
Austin B. Pierpont passed his boyhood on the
home farm, and was educated in the district school.
He then taught one season, and later attended the
Waterbury high school, after leaving which he
hired out to his uncle, Enos Pierpont, and worked
for him seventeen years in the meat business. At
the end of that time he bought him out, and has
ever since conducted a most prosperous trade in
meats, dairy products, etc.
In 1872 Mr. Pierpont married Lucy A. Welton,
a daughter of Joseph W'elton, of W'aterville, and to
this union have been born three children : Arthur
J., born in 1876, is still on the farm; Herbert, Iwrn
in i88_^, died at the age of five months; Morton E.,
born in 1885, is now attending Storrs' Agricultural
Air. Pierpont is a Republican in politics, and has
twice represented New Haven county on the State
Board of Agriculture. He has been master of Mad
River Grange. Excelsior Pomona Grange, and has
always been actively interested in the promotion
of agricultural affairs, having served as vice-presi-
dent of the Wolcott Agricultural Society, a position
he still fills ; he is also active in other affairs, and
lends a helpful hand in all. He is president of the
East Farms Cemetery Association, and a trustee of
Mill Plain Cha])el Society, which he helped to estab-
lish. His influence is felt in many undertakings.
He is of a genial, benevolent and fraternal disposi-
tion, and is a ])rominent member of Nosahogan
Lodge, I. (). (). F., Waterbury. in which he has
passed all the chairs, and of Ansantawae Encamp-
ment. Mr. Pierpont is a vestryman in Trinity
Episcopal Church. Socially he is very highly es-
teemed, and his family share with him the regard
of their neighbors and friends generally.
GEORGE SMITH DA\TS. member of the
I firm of Landon & Davis, general merchants, Guil-
' ford, is a native of the town of Guilford, born Dec.
20. 1854. of Welsh ancestry.
Joel Davis, his grandfather, was born in Kill-
ingworth, Middlesex Co.. Conn., whence after his
marriage he moved to Guilford, where he pur-
chased a farm, and where he passed the rest of his
days, dying in 18O0. He was a member of the
Episcopal Church, a Whig in politics, and was
progressive and prosperous. In Killingworth,
Conn., he married .Xchsah Davi.^ of that town, and
seven children were born to them : Henrv, Sarah,
George W. (deceased), George W. (2) (sketch of
whom follows), Harriet, Leonard and James. The
parents both died at the farm, and arc buried in
the West Side cemetery.
George W. Davis, father of George S., was
born in 1822 in Guilford, and there passed his
entire life in agricultural pursuits, dying in 1800.
He attended the Episcopal Church, was a Demo-
crat in politics, and was a highly honored man.
In 1850, in Guilford, he married Cornelia Smith,
who was born in 1827, daughter of Tabor and
Myra (Hoadley) Smith, and three children were
born to them: Cornelia, deceased in infancy;
George S.. sketch of whom follows ; and Charles
W.. who is engaged in business with his brother.
George S. Davis, the subject proper of this
sketch, attended the district school of Guilford,
also the high school, and at the age of sixteen
years went to Hartford, Conn., where he secured
empIo)mient as clerk in a dry-goods store. He
remained there eight years, in 1878 returning to
Guilford and becoming clerk in the postoiffice.
Then, at the end of five years, in 1883. being pos-
sessed of a small capital, he and S. W. Landon
embarked in the grocery business in Guilford, un-
der the firm name of Landon & Davis. Mr. Lan-
don died in 1890, and Mr. Davis has since con-
tinued the business under the same name, and,
through courtesy, genial manners, and close atten-
tion to business, has built up an extensive trade.
Mr. Davis, is a Republican. In 1883 he was
elected town treasurer, and has since filled the
office with credit to himself and to the satisfaction
of the public ; has also for the past ten years filled
the office of borough and town treasurer with equal
acceptance. In 1889 he was elected to the State
Legislature, and served one term at Hartford, dur-
ing which time he was on the committee on New
Towns and Probate Districts. In 1891 he was re-
elected. He filled the office of burgess of the
borough one term, and in 1881 was appointed a
notary public by the governor. Socially he is a
member of the F. & A. M.. affiliating with St.
Alban's Lodge, No. 38. of which he is past master
and treasurer ; he is a Knight Templar, connected
with New Haven Commandery, No. 2. and with
Halleck Chapter, also with the Eastern Star: is
also a member of the New England Order of Pro-
tection and the Royal .Arcanum. In religious
faith he is a member of the Episcopal Church, of
which he has been warden for the past twelve years,
On Dec. 16, 1885, in Guilford, George S.
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
Davis was married to Annie Ci. Fowler, daughter
of Henry Fowler, and three children have been
born to them: Plenrv Fowler died in infancy;
Elizabeth G. and Annie C. are both attending
LEWIS MONROE PHELPS was born Aug.
22, 1841, in Northampton, Mass.. where his father,
Spencer Phelps, was born in September, 1797. and
died in 1873. Spencer Phelps was a farmer, and
was also engaged in the butchering business. He
was a Whig in political faith, and became a Re-
publican on the formation of the party. He at-
tended the First Congregational Church. In 1823
he married Miss Annie Harris, of Northampton,
who was born Dec. 21, 1801, in Norwich, and died
in 1873 in Northampton. Mass., where Mr. and Mrs.
Phelps were buried. Their family comprised the
following children : ( i ) George S. has a carriage
business at Northampton, Mass. (2) Anna Maria
married Enos Wright, of Northampton. (3) Ed-
ward died in infancy. (4) Edward H. is a re-
tired tinsmith of Northampton. (5) Martha mar-
ried Henry Cobb, of Saxton's River, Vt. (6)
Henry S. was a soldier in the Union army during
the Civil war, serving as a member of Company C,
nth L'nited States Regulars, was taken prisoner,
and died in Andersonville. (7) Charles W. died at
the age of eighteen years. (8) Lewis Monroe is
the gentleman whose name appears at the introduc-
tion of this article.
Ebenezer Pheljis. father of Spencer, was born in
Northampton, ancl was in his lifetime a very prom-
inent farmer and large land owner. A large tract
of land which belonged to him is now the center
of the city of Northampton. He married Kezia
Parsons, and they had eight children. The Phelps
family descends from three brothers who came over
from England very early in the history of the
Colonics and settled in Vermont, Massachusetts
and Connecticut, respectively.
Lewis M. Phelps spent his boyhood and youth
in Northampton, Mass., and obtained his educa-
tion under the shadow of Mt. Tom. At fourteen
he left school and went to work, on different farms,
three years later going to the West, and spending
two years in Illinois and Iowa. Returning to
Northampton, he set himself to the trade of car-
riagemaker, which he followed until he reached
the age of twenty-four. Mr. Phelps enlisted, in
August, 1862, as a member of Company C, 52d
Mass. V. I., and served until Aug. 14, 1863. He
was at Port Hudson, and in many notable battles
of the war.
Mr. Phelps began a contracting business when
he was twenty-four years old, and followed same
for about one year. At Springfield he was em-
ployed for six years by the Wesson Manufacturing
Co., where he was foreman in charge of a gang
of men. He held a similar position in the shops
of the New York, New Haven & Hartford
Railway Co., and in 1875 '^^ came to Wallingford
to open a tinning, plumbing, heating and stove busi-
ness, in which line he has accumulated a substantial
fortune. Twelve years ago he leased his present
store in the Wallace block, and purchased a half
interest therein. In 1898 he bought the other half
of the block. Mr. Phelps is largely interested in
real estate and owns several very desirable tene-
ment houses, which he has built in recent years.
Politically he is a Republican, and he is now serv-
ing as justice of the peace; since his location in
the city he has had charge of the department of
weights and measures ; for two years he was a
member of the court of burgesses ; in October, 1901,
he was appointed electrical commissioner, for three
"Sir. Phelps was married, June i, 1864, to Miss
Jennie M. Hastings, of South Deerfield, Mass.,
daughter of Samuel Hastings. Mr. Phelps is a
member of Arthur Dutton Post, G. A. R., and
Compass Lodge, F. & A. M. He is also a promi-
nent Odd Fellow, has passed all the chairs of the
Subordinate Lodge, and for a number of years has
been a member of the Grand Lodge of the State.
He is also a member of the Encampment, Rebekah
and Canton branches of the order. He was a prime
mover in the organization of Accanant Lodge, and
was its first vice-grand ; has served as treasurer
of Friendship Encampment, and is now a member
of the board of trustees.
GEORGE S. GILLETTE, a highly-esteemed
resident of the town of Milford, was born Jan. 14,
1850. in the house in which he resided until recently.
Benjamin Gillette, his great-grandfather, served
as a soldier during the Revolutionary war, and
the family has long been noted for the qual-
ities that go to the making of good citizen-
ship. Garriet Gillette, our subject's grandfather,
was Ixjrn in ^ililford, and became a farmer by
occupation. He married Nancy Piatt, and
had a large family of children, as follows:
John, a builder in Prospect, died in that town;
George died in Naugatuck; Garriet, a farmer, died
in Prospect ; Bennett, a carpenter, died at his home
in Prospect ; Rufus, a carpenter, is living in retire-
ment in Naugatuck : William, our subject's father,
is mentioned more fully below : Sarah A. married
Harry Morse, and resides in Prospect: Mary (de-
ceased) married Harry Smith, of Prospect; Abby
married Lucius Talmadge, of Prospect (both are
now deceased) ; two died in childhood.
William Gillette was born in 1822, in Prospect,
and died April 14, 1878. After his marriage he
located on a fann on Long Island Sound, in the
southern part of Milford, the old homestead of the
grandfather, where his remaining years were spent.
As a citizen he was much respected, and for years
he took an active interest in local affairs as a mem-
ber of the Republican party. He was also very ac-
tive in the church. He married Susan Bucking-
COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.
ham, dauglitcr of John Buckingham, a native of
Milford. 'She died Oct. 4, 1879. Of their six chil-
dren, the eldest. Mary E., married N. Truman
Smith, a farmer in Milford; George S. is mentioned
below; Miss Martha X. resides in Milford; Charles
W. conducts the old homestead ; Miss Susan C. re-
sides in Alilford; and Nettie died in infancy.
George S. Gillette was reared on the old home-
stead in Milford, and after completing a course in
the neighboring district school attended the Mil-
ford high school and a private school conducted by
Jonas French. At the age of twenty-two he went
to Kansas and worked on a farm for a year, and he
spent the next five years in Nevada, in various em-
ployments. In 1878 he returned to the homestead,
a farm of thirty-eight acres, and made a specialty
of raising garden seeds. Recently he came into
possession of the old Buckingham homestead, the
place where his mother was born, and has taken up
iiis home there.
On Dec. 13, 1893, Mr. Gillette married Miss
Flora Belle Hanscome, of Alaine, daughter of Rev.
Alva H. Hanscome, and a member of an old fam-
ily of that State. They have one child, William
Buckingham. Mr. Gillette is a Republican in poli-
tics, and has served many years as assessor and a
memher of the board of relief. He and his wife
belong to the Congregational Church, and he is also
an active worker in the Roval Arcanum and of the
I. O. O. F. at Milford.
NATHAN W. GREENM.\N, a well-known
resident of Waterbury, is a native of Connecticut,
born .April 12, 1840, in Bozrahville, New London
Prior to tlic year 1800 three brothers by the
name of Grecnman came to this country from Eng-
land, one settling in New York, one in the eastern
part of Connecticut, the third in New London coun-
ty, Conn., the last named being James. Greenman.
the grandfather of Nathan \\". ; he was a farmer
Nathan Greenman, father of Nathan W., was
born in 1815 in New London county, and for years
was superintendent of the cotton mills there. He is
now living retired near New Haven. At the early
age of seventeen years he married Julia A. Wilkin-
son, who was born in 1815 in Stonington, Conn., a
daughter of Jonathan Wilkinson, a farmer of that
locality. Mr. Wilkinson served in the war of 1812.
He married Ann Cranston, also a native of Ston-
ington, and descended from ancestry who came to
America early in the seventeenth century. Grand-
father Wilkinson was one of the "frontiersmen,"
but the Indians were very friendly to him and his
family, frcquentlv abiding under their hospitable
roof. The Wilkinsons took active part in all the
early struggles of the country, including the French
and Indian troubles, the Revolution and the war of
1812, as well as the Indian wars since that period.
After marriage Nathan Greenman and his wife
settled in New London county, at Bozrahville, and
there reared the following children: Anna E. (de-
ceased) was the wife of George Nettleton; Jennie
E. (deceased) was the wife of Frederick A. Cook,