the road, faces south and commands a magnifi-
cent view of the Atlantic ocean south and west
of the Elizabeth islands. It is the only two-
story gambrel-roofed house in old Dartmouth,
and belongs to the latest variety of that type.
Job Almy owned the farm, and in his will of
1771 he devises his estate to his'four sons; and
in the division in 1778 Joseph and Christopher
took the part on the east side of the road, and
that on the west side was taken by Job and
Samuel. To his wife he gives "the Eastern
most great room, bed room adjoining, cellar
under and chamber, and attic over the same."
This can only apply to the large house which in
another part of the will he describes as "my
new dwelling house," which he specially devised
to his son Joseph. It is safe to conclude that
this house was built between 1765 and 1770.
This land originally belonged to Hugh
Mosher, who sold it to William Almy, who was
the owner in 1710, and this large farm has re-
mained in the Almy family ever since. The
original house has probably been removed or
destroyed. The small one-story gambrel was
erected about 1730, some distance east of the
road, but within recent years was moved to its
present location and has been since used as the
home of the manager of the farm. It belongs
to the variety that was common in this section
between 1725 and 1740.
(VI) Thomas Almy, son of Christopher and
Elizabeth (Sanford), born April 22, 1775, mar-
ried in 1798 Sally Gifford, born June 10, 1779,
daughter of William and Patience GifEord. Mr.
Almy, who was somewhat noted for his great
strength, was a carpenter by trade. He became
a merchant at Smith Mills, then a farmer. He
was a man of good judgment, and was active in
the public affairs of the town ; liked the old
muster days of the State militia. He loved a
good horse and his favorite means of travel was
by horseback. He was a member of the Society
of Friends. He died Nov. 23, 1868. His wife
died June 13, 1848. Their children were : Wil-
liam, Silence, Frederick and Henry.
(VII) William Almy (3), son of Thomas
and Sally (Gifford), was born Oct. 10, 1798,
on the old Almy homestead in Dartmouth,
Mass. He passed his childhood and youth on
his father's farm, receiving in the way of an
education what the neighborhood district school
afforded. Early in life he concluded to become
a merchant, and with this end in view when
thirteen years of age walked from his home near
Horse Neck, carrying his shoes in his hand as
a matter of economy, to Russell's Mills, where
he began his business career in the store of the
late Abraham Barker. In a few years he re-
moved to New Bedford, and was employed as
bookkeeper in the store of William H. Allen
and the late Gideon Allen, and also in the
counting room of the late John Avery Parker.
Subsequently he went to Boston, and found em-
ployment in the best school possible for a mer-
chant â€” the counting room of the late A. & A.
Lawrence. Soon after attaining his majority,
and doubtless under the kind auspices of his
employers, he formed a partnership with a fel-
low clerk named Dexter, establishing the busi-
ness which under the firm name of Dexter &
Almy, Almy, Blake & Co., Almy, Patterson &
Co., Almy, Hobart & Co., and Almy & Co., he
successfully pursued for nearly fifty years ; this
was the importing and jobbing of white goods.
Cool, clear-headed and sagacious, no man stood
higher in the confidence and esteem of his fel-
lows than William Almy. He achieved a hand-
some fortune for his time, but secured some-
thing far better, a reputation for spotless integ-
rity, and unblemished honor.
For many years Mr. Almy was a director in
the Eagle Bank, Boston, and for a number of
3'ears his firm was selling agent for various
cotton and woolen mills, among these being
the celebrated Wamsutta Mills of New Bedford.
Politically he was a Whig and Republican.
In November, 1828, Mr. Almy married Eliza-
beth, daughter of Robert and Deborah Brayton,
of Nantucket. She was born June 19, 1803,
and died May 11, 1879.
About 1830 Mr. Almy bought a portion of
the old Almy farm, near Horse Neck, in Dart-
mouth, which he greatly improved and beauti-
fied, making of it a most delightful summer
residence. He became totally blind in 1858,
and in 1868 retired from business. He died
Dec. 25, 1881, in Boston, having lived to a ripe
old age and leaving an honored name and the
memory of an active and useful life.
The cluldren born to Mr. and Mrs. Almy
were: (1) Sarah died in infancy. (2) Robert
B., born Sept. 12, 1830, died Jan. 4, 1896.
(3) Sarah H., born Dec; 16, 1832, died Feb.
28, 1869. (4) Matilda H. died in infancy.
(5) Henry, born Aug. 22, 1836, was a business
associate of his father, and died April 6, 1879.
He married Jan. 17, 1862, Elizabeth Barker,
and their children, all now living (1910) were:
Mabel, born Sept. 5, 1864; Sarah Helen, Dec.
19, 1870; Henry, June 24, 1875. (6) Cath-
erine G. died young. (7) John P. and (8)
William F. were twins, born Jan. 17, 1841.
John P. never married, and died Aug. 7, 1905.
William F. is mentioned below. (9) Alice B.,
born April 14, 1843, died Jan. 5, 1871, married
Frederick Grinnell, of New Bedford, and had
a daughter, Alice A. (10) Thomas R. resides
at New Bedford.
(VIII) William F. Almy, son of William (3)
and Elizabeth, was born Jan. 17, 1841. He
married Alice Gray, of Boston. Soon after his
marriage he became associated in business with
Thomas Gray & Co., cotton merchants, and after
Mr. Gray's death he continued the business un-
der the name of Almy & Co. until he died,
June 14, 1898. He had two children, William
and Eleanor Brooks, who with the wife and
(IX) William Almy, son of WilUam F.,
was born April 9, 1874. He succeeded his
father, William F. Almy, in the cotton business,
and after a few years formed a new firm, Almy,
Rogerson & Bremer, afterward Almy, Bremer
& Co., and now William Almy & Co. He has
been successful in business, being one of the
largest cotton mercliants in Boston.
On April 8, 1899, Mr. Almy married Elsie
H. Pierce, of New Bedford, daughter of An-
drew G. Pierce. They have had five children,
all living (1910) : William, Jr., born Nov. 30,
1900; Caroline Pierce, Oct. 9, 1901; Robert
â€¢Brayton, Dec. 1, 1902 ; Mary Louise, March
21, 1906; Richard, Feb. 5, 1909.
(IX) â€¢ Eleanor Brooks Almy, daughter of
William F. Almy, married April 22, 18^96, The-
odore G. Bremer, and they have three children :
Alice, born May 24, 1897; Eleanor, Oct. 10,
1899 ; and Theodore Glover, Jr., Dec. 8, 1903,
FREDERICK CHANDLER MANN, for so
many years connected with the Carver Cotton
Gin Company, and so well known through the
entire Southland where he had traveled in the
interest of that company, was born in Boston,
Mass., Jan. 24, 1839, and died in East Bridge-
water, Feb. 8, 1907. The surname Mann in
England is found in "Domesday Book," A. D.
1086, and here in New England history it has
been kno^vn from the earliest period of the
(I) Richard Man, of Scituate, Mass., came
to New England previous to the year 1644,
where in January of that year he took the oath
of fidelity.' Dean, in his history of Scituate
^1831), says "Richard Man (planter) was a
youth in Elder Brewster's family, and came to
Plymouth in the 'Mayflower,' 1620. He was
one of the Connihassett partners in Scituate,
1646. His farm was at Man Hill (a well
known place to this day), south of the great
Musquaslicut pond, and north of John Hoar's
farm. There is no record of his marriage
here." Mr. Man was a farmer and one of the
original proprietors of Scituate. On the east
of liis lands was the sea. on the north Musquash-
cut pond, and still farther north, bordering on
the pond, were the "Famies" so called. In an
attempt to cross this pond on the ice in Feb-
ruary, 1655, Richard Man was drowned. The
records indicate that he was a man of consid-
erable prominence in the colony. After his
death his widow Rebecca married John Cowen, â€¢
and lived in the house of her former husband
until 1670. Richard Man and his wife Rebecca
had children, born in Scituate : Nathaniel, born
Sept. 23, 1646, died July 20, 1688; Thomas,
born Aug. 15, 1650 ; Richard, born Feb. 5, 1652,
married Elizabeth Sutton; Josiah, born Dec.
(II) Thomas Man, son of Richard and Re-
becca, was born Aug. 15, 1650, in Scituate,
Mass. The Christian name of his wife was Sarah.
The records indicate that Mr. Man was a large
landholder, and more than twenty transfers to
and from him are found in the record . of con-
veyances. In one or two deeds he is called a
wheelwright, but his chief occupation was farm-
ing. In 1703 he bought lands of his brother
Richard, and ten years later deeded them to his
own son Thomas. He was a coroner's juror in
1677, and in 1680 his name was propounded
as a freeman for the next year if the town ap-
proved. His children were : Josiah, born
March 11, 1679, died in 1708, unmarried;
Thomas, horn April 5, 1681 ; Sarah, born Nov.
15, 1684, married a Gibbs; Mary, born March
15, 1688; Elizabeth, born March 10, 1692; Jo-
seph, born Dec. 27, 1694; Benjamin, born Feb.
19, 1697, married Martha Curtis; and Ensign,
"born about 1699, married widow Tabitha Vinal,
(Ill)* Thomas Man (2), son of Thomas, bom
April 5, 1681, in Scituate, married Dec. 8, 1714,
Deborah Joy. In some accounts he is men-
tioned as a cordwainer, but his principal occu-
pation was farming on lands deeded to him by
his father in 1713. He died Dec. 8, 1714. His
children were: Josiah, born Dec. 7, 1715,
married Jan. 2, 1741, Mary Chubbuck, who died
in 1800; Capt. Thomas, born Nov. 26, 1717,
married (first) Ruth Damon, and (second)
Deborah Briggs; David, born Nov. 9, 1719,
married Alice Healey; Deborah, born Feb. 20,
1721, married in 1749, Abner Curtis of Han-
over; Sarah, born Feb. 20, 1721, married Jesse
Curtis of Hanover; and Ebenezer, born Dec.
â€¢ (IV) Ebenezer Man, son of Thomas (2),
born Dec. 28, 1725, in Scituate, Mass., mar-
ried (first) Aug. 22, 1751, Rebecca Magouq,
who was the mother of all his children. â€¢ He
married (second) Oct. 1, 1772, Ursula Ran-
dall. His life was spent chiefly in Pembroke,
Mass., where he is mentioned as a shipwright,
having early purchased lands at what was
known as the brick kilns, a famous shipbuild-
ing locality in the early history of the town.
He also had lands near the North river bridge
and later purchased an estate where Thomas
Man afterward lived. He died about 1805, in
Pembroke, Mass. His children were : David,
l)orn Oct. 19, 1752 (0. S.) ; Rebecca, born Jan.
12, 1755, married Joshua Turner; Ebenezer,
l)orn Aug. 6, 1757, married Sarah Buffington;
Betsey, born Oct. 14, 1759, married Thomas
(V) David Mann, son of Ebenezer, born Oct.
19, 1752 (0. S.), in Pembroke, Mass., married
Dec. 24, 1778, Betsey Bates, of Duxbury, Mass.
In deeds Mr. Mann is called a shipwright. It
is said, also, that he was a farmer, and a dea-
con in the "First Church" in Pembroke, Mass.
He died there Nov. 22, 1838, leaving a will.
His wife died at Pembroke, in 1828, aged sixty-
eight years. Children, all born in Pembroke,
were: Huldah, born Aug. 7, 1780 (married
Jabez Josselyn) ; David, born Nov. 29, 1782;
Comfort, born July 11, 1785; Ebenezer, born
Oct. 12, 1788 (married Alma Josselyn) ; Isaiah,
born May 22, 1791; Daniel, born Nov. 8, 1793;
Thomas, born June 10, 1796; Betsey, born
April 18, 1799 (married John Turner of Pem-
broke) ; Josiah, born Oct. 16, 1801; and Me-
linda, born June 4, 1807.
(VI) David Mann, son of David, born Nov.
29, 1782, in Pembroke, Mass., married there
Jan. 24, 1805, Rebecca Oldham, daughter of
David and Rebecca (Chandler) Oldham, of
Pembroke, born Sept. 18, 1785, and died Jan.
7, 1855. Both are buried in Central cemetery.
Mr. Mann was a resident of Pembroke, Mass.,
by trade a ship joiner, a very skillful and in-
dustrious workman.' He took large contracts
in Medford and elsewhere, and employed many
men in his day. He died in Pembroke, Oct.
11, 1858. His children were: John C, born
April 6, 1806, married Sylvia L. Hedge ; David
0., born Dec. 13, 1808, married Nancy Austin;
Jonathan 0., born Dee. 13, 1808, married Eliza
A. Sears; Almira, born April 1, 1811, married
George Taber; Adeline, born Feb. 13, 1813,
married George Oldham; Elizabeth, born Dec.
26, 1815, married Robert Ramsdell ; Mary T.,
born July 15, 1820, married Seth Whitman,
Jr. ;- and Lucy P., born Sept. 3, 1822, married
Horace J. Foster.
(VII) John Chandler Mann, son of David
and Rebecca, was born in Pembroke, April 6,
1806, and died April 23, 1867. He attended the
common schools, and then learned the mold-
er's trade in the iron foundries, aft#r wliich
he went to Boston and worked at Alger's foun-
dry as master workman, later becoming super-
intendent. He was also employed at different
times in Canton, and in Bridgewater, Mass.
On March 1, 1827, he married Silvia Lovell
Hedge, born in Nantucket, Nov. 25, 1806,
daughter of John and Clarissa (Crowell)
Hedge, of Pembroke. She died in Pembroke,
June 23, 1875, and was buried beside her hus-
band in Central cemetery. Their children, born
in Pembroke and Boston, were: (1) Maria,
born Feb. 26, 1828, married Sept. 27, 1847,
James R. Josselyn (who died in 1882), and
had three children, Ella F. (married E. M.
Jones), Oilman and James E. (2) Priscilla
Josselyn, born April 9, 1830, married April 29,
1849, Dr. Francis Collamore, of Pembroke, and
had two children, Fiorina M. (born June 28,
1862) and Francis, Jr. (born Oct. 23, 1855,
and residing in East Bridgewater). (3)
Charles E., born April, 1833, died in August,
1833. (4) Clara Hedge, born April 6, 1834,
married Sept. 12, 1858, Josiah Dean Bonney,
and had a son, Charles Dean (born July, 1867,
married to Etta Stetson). (5) John Hedge,
born September, 1836, died August, 1842. (6)
Frederick Chandler is mentioned below. (7)
Louise Frances,;. born Aug. 1, 1841, married
Jan. 29, 1865,fHenry B. White, and they made
their home in Boston, where both died, and they
are buried at Forest Hills cemetery tliere. Tliey
had two sons, Harry Howard and Frederick
Leonard. (8) Florena Ella, born July 8, 1843,
died Nov. 26, 1860. (9) Edwin Forrest, born in
September, 1845, died Nov. 19, 1860. (10)
Julia Augusta, born Aug. 7, 1848, married Wil-
liam P. Bates, of Boston, and their son, William
Franklin, born in June, 1876, resides at Ever-
(VIII) Frederick Chandler Mann, son of
John Chandler, was born in Boston, Jan. 24,.
1839, but was still quite young when his father
took his family back to the old homestead in
Pembroke. There, in the public schools he ac-
quired his preliminary education, and his stud-
ies were completed in Hanover Academy. At
the age of eighteen he came to East Bridgewater,
where he learned the carpenter's trade, serving
his apprenticeship with William Hudson. He
then went to Providence, R. I., where he worked
at his trade for a Mr. Gale for about three
years. At the end of that time he returned to
East Bridgewater, and entered the employ of the-
Carver Cotton Gin Company in the wood work-
ing department, setting up the wooden parts of
the cotton gin. Later he went into the machin-
ery department, and while there perfected a
number of inventions, which were made use
of in cotton seed oil machinery. On several of
these he was granted Letters Patent, under
which he licensed the above named company
to manufacture. He was also for many years
directly interested in the manufacture of a
cotton seed huller, another patented invention
When Mr. Mann started on the road as a
traveling salesman, it was to sell machinery
to box board mills through New York, Vermont,
New Hampshire, Maine and Canada. He-
proved his worth, and the Carver Company sent
him South through North Carolina, South Car-
olina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi,
Louisiana and Te.xas. His trips consumed
about nine months of each year. He made his
first trip in 1869, and his last in 1903. After
retirement from the road he remained in the
employ of the same company until some months
before his death. He was a trustee of the East
Bridgewater Savings Bank.
Fraternally Mr. Mann was a Mason, taking
the first three degrees in Fellowship Lodge, A.
F. & A. M., at Bridgewater, and later became-
a member of Satucket Lodge, A. F. & A. M., at
East Bridgewater, and was a life member of'
the Satucket Royal Arch Chapter at Brockton.
In his younger days he belonged to the Good'
Templars, and was always a believer in tem-
perance. In politics he was a Republican. He
was a member of the First Parish (Unitarian)
of East Bridgewater. His remains rest in Cen-
tral cemetery. East Bridgewater.
On Nov. 23, 1864, Mr. Mann married Pa-
melia Leonard Hill, daughter of Leonard and'
Pamela (Cushing) Hill, of East Bridgewater.
To bless this union came children as follows:
(1) Charles Frederick, born April 12, 1869, in
East Bridgewater, is unmarried, and resides
C^>^^Y^^ C3 ^^'^y^^Kf^^^
with his mother at the old home. He graduated
from the East Bridgewater high school in 1885,
and from the Bryant & Stratton Commercial
School in Boston in June, 1886. The following
August he became time keeper, paymaster and
assistant bookkeeper in the Carver Cotton Gin
Company, where he remained until April 30,
1893, when he resigned. On May 1, 1893, he
became treasurer of the East Bridgewater Sav-
ings Bank, and still holds that position. He
has been active in public affairs, and served
as town treasurer from 1902 until 1911, when
he resigned. In 1902 and 1903 he was town
clerk. For several years he was treasurer of the
Board of Trade of East Bridgewater, and of
the Savings Bank Treasurers Club of Massa-
chusetts, and is a member of the Commercial
Club of Brockton. Fraternally he is a Mason,
belonging to Satucket Lodge, A. F. & A. M.,
of East Bridgewater, in which he is past mas-
ter; Harmony Chapter, R. A. M., of Bridge-
water, in which he is past high priest ; Brocktcfti
Council, R. & S. M., of Brockton; Old Colony
Commandery, No. 15, K. T., of Abington, in
which he is generalissimo; and in 1900 and
1901 was District Deputy Grand Master of the
24th Masonic District. He is a member of the
First Parish (Unitarian) of East Bridgewater,
and for several years has been a member of
the parish committee. (2) Mary Isabel, born
March 12, 1876, attended the public schools of
East Bridgewater, and the Bryant & Stratton
Commercial School in Boston, after which she
was bookkeeper in the East Bridgewater Sav-
ings Bank for eight years, resigning then on
account of ill health; she married Nov. 17,
1910, Leon E. Keith, of Campello, Mass., where
they reside. (3) Grace Leonard, born April
19, 1882, attended the public schools, and was
graduated from the State Normal School at
Bridgewater, in 1903. She taught school in
Raynham Center for a time ; she married Dec.
27, 1910, Andrew Richmond Parker, of East
Bridgewater, where they reside.
In 1900 Mrs. Mann purchased the old Hobart
house on Central street, and has since made it
her home. This house was built in 1799, by
Gen. Sylvanus Lazell, and is a fine specimen of
the New England architecture of that period.
Hill. The Hill family, to which Mrs. Mann
belongs, is descended from (I) John Hill, immi-
grant, who was at Dorchester, Mass., in 1633.
His wife Frances was admitted to the church
before 1639. He was a member of the Boston
Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company. He
died May 31, 1664. His will was proved June
30, 1664. He bequeathed to his wife Frances,
sons John and Samuel, and daughter Mary.
His widow married (second) Jonas Austin, and
removed to Taunton, being dismissed from the
Dorchester Church, June 28, 1674; he died at
Dorchester, Nov. 18, 1676. To John and Fran-
ces Hill were born children: John settled at
the "Farms," on Charles river, was twice mar-
ried and died before March 20, 1718; Frances;
Jonathan, baptized Aug. 12, 1640; Mary mar-
ried April 12, 1656, Thomas Breck, of Sher-
born ; Samuel, baptized in 1638, died young;
Samuel (2), in 1640; Hannah, born in 1641,
removed to Taunton; Mercy, born Jan. 8, 1642-
43; Ebenezer sold land in Dorchester, 1675;
Martha, baptized Aug. 20, 1648; Mehetabel,
baptized Feb. 18, 1650-51 ; Ruth married Roger
Willis ; and Rebecca was admitted to the church
Sept. 11, 1664.
(II) Jonathan Hill, son of John, baptized
Aug. 12, 1640, married Mary , and early
removed to Bridgewater, Mass. Their children
were: Nathaniel married in 1710, Hannah,
daughter of Nathaniel Conant; Ebenezer; Jon-
athan perhaps went to Middleboro; Mary mar-
ried in 1702, Elnathan Bassett; and Bethiah
was a member of the church in 1724.
(III) Ebenezer Hill, son of Jonathan, mar-
ried in 1714, Susanna, daughter of Jacob Leon-
ard. They died, he, in 1760, and she, in 1764.
Their children were: Ebenezer, born in 1715;
Jacob, born in 1717; Israel, born in 1719; and
Eleazer, born in 1730.
(IV) Jacob Hill, son of Ebenezer, married
in 1754, Abigail, daughter of Ebenezer Bonney,
of Pembroke. Their children were : Hezekiah,
born in 1754; Jacob, born in 1756; Susanna,
born in 1759; Abigail, born in 1761; Eleazer,
born in 1764. Of these Hezekiah and Eleazer
went to Maine. The parents died, he, in 1804,
aged eighty-seven, and she, in 1781, aged fifty-
(V) Jacob Hill (2), son of Jacob, born in
1756, married in 1780, Anne, daughter of
Thomas Tribou, a Frenchman who settled in
Bridgewater, as early as 1745, and his wife
Margery Pratt. Their children were: Mel-
zar, horn in 1783; Jacob, born in 1784; Nanny,
born in 1786, married in 1809 Ephraim Carey,
and went to Minot; Leonard, born in 1788, is
mentioned below. Of these, Melzar married
Mary Howland and went to Minot, now Au-
Imrn, Maine ; Jacob was graduated from Brown
University in 1807, settled as a lawyer at Minot
and married Marcia Lobdell. The parents died,
he, in 1827, aged seventy, and she, in 1823,
(VI) Leonard Hill, son of Jacob (2), born
in East Bridgewater, March 28, 1788, married
(first) in 1817, Polly, daughter of Jonah Willis,
of Bridgewater. To this union was born a son,
Charles Henry, who died in Boston at the age
of twenty-three years. Mr. Hill married (sec-
ond) Pamela Cushing, daughter of Daniel and
Zerviah (Chamberlain) Cushing, of East
Bridgewater. All are buried in the Central
cemetery at East Bridgewater. The children
born of the second marriage were : Pamelia
Leonard, now Mrs. Mann; and Mary Caroline,
born Aug. 20, 1843, who married America
Emerson Stetson, of Whitman, and they had
one son, Frank Cushing Stetson, who married
Lizzie Gertrude Soule, of Whitman; they have
been the parents of four children, Dorothy Eliz-
abeth (who died in infancy), Dana Emerson,
Robert Jackson and Theodore.
DARLING. (I) John and Dennis Darling
appeared at Braintree, Mass., appro.ximately two
hundred and fifty years ago. To the latter is
traced the lineage of Joseph Monroe Darling, so
long well knowii in Fall River. Jojm Darling
was at Braintree, Mass., as early as 1660. He
married in 1664 Elizabeth Dowman (?), and
Dennis married in 1662 Hannah Francis, both
families having children.
(II) Capt. John Darling, son of Dennis, bom
Sept. 2, 1664, in Braintree, married there (first)
Elizabeth Tliompson. She died in 1687, and he
married (second) in 1690 Anne, and (third)
Elizabeth Morse. Captain Darling settled in
Bellingham, Mass. He is reputed to have been
a great business man, and owner of considerable
land. He is said to have headed the petition for
the setting off of the town of Bellingham, whicli
was incorporated in 1719. He died in 1753-54,
in Bellingham, aged eighty-nine years. His
children born to the third marriage were:
Elizabeth, Samuel, Ruth, Hannah, Margaret,
Ebenezer, Mary, Martha, Abigail and Deborah.
(III) Capt. Samuel Darling, son of Capt.
John, born March 18, 1693-94, died Feb. 17,
1774. He married (first) Dec. 15, 1716, Mar}'
Thompson, of Mendon, Mass., and their chil-
dren were: Samuel, Michael, Elizabeth, Ruth,
Abigail, John, Rachel, Penelope and Joshua.
(IV) John Darling, son of Capt. Samuel and
Mary (Thompson) Darling, had children:
John, Nathaniel, Seth, Penelope, Sarah and
Hannah. The will of John Darling was pro-
bated April 1, 1800, at Dedham, Mass.. giving
to his son Seth his estate as provided therein.