gatherings. He is a fine public speaker, and
is often called upon to deliver addresses at puj)-
lic meetings. When the centennial of the
First Congregational Church of Whitman was
celebrated, June 10, 1907, he was selected to
â€¢deliver an address on the history of the town.
At the dedication of the new Town Hall, Dec.
10, 1907, he was chosen by the committee to
make the address; and when the tablet to the
soldiers of the Revolution was unveiled in the
town hall the same year Dr. Dyer was again
â– called upon, and on that occasion he read the
following poem which he himself composed :
Tbibute to the Flag
Old Flag of our land where Freedom is natal,
How blest is the breeze that unfurls you on high ;
Your stripes are as bright as the beams of the
.\nd shine out your stars as the stars in the sky.
For Liberty spoke â€” and crimson was streaming
The blood of her sons for her banner of right:
When Liberty won â€” Old Albion's Union
Was torn from its place, a^ the light breaks the
Thirteen were the states from tyranny wrested,
The number the same of the stripes and the stars,
But now, forty-six in azure are gleaming â€”
The conquests of peace and the victories of wars.
The Red of your stripes marks the scars of conflict,
The White is as pure as strong justice and right.
And Blue over all is the sky of Freedom,
Sown thick ^vith the stars of her statehood and
Old Flag of our land, ninety millions adore thee.
For ages to come and by millions anew.
Thy folds shall inspire the same love that we bear
The Flag of America, the Red, White and Blue.
At the celebration of the two hundred and
fiftieth anniversary of the settlement of the
town of Old Bridgewater, Mass., June 13,
1906, Dr. Dyer delivered the following address
in response to the toast "Medicine: Our sur-
geons and physicians have proved an honor to
their profession and a blessing to the afflicted."
Last week Boston was gav with bunting in honor
of medicine, and badges of Hygeia were conspicuous
throughout the city. Thousands of physicians had
gathered from all parts of our country to attend the
fifty-seventh annual session of the Americnn Medical
Association. Among the decorations was this senti-
ment: "The physician of to-day is the unord-iined
minister of the gospel. It is his mission to uplift
humanity and restore the crippled hands to the
sanctity of usefulness." On this commeniQr,')tive oc-
casion time will not permit to pay due tribute to
those members of the medical profession whose lives
were spent in ministrations of helpfulness to this
community, the State and the nation. In the history
of Old Bridgewater Dr. Samuel Alden was the first
physician given biographical mention, and for fifty
years his life and services w^ere devoted to the people
of this vicinity. In the celebration of 1856 Dr. Eben-
ezer Alden. whose name I bear, was one of the
speakers; fifty years later, by. some strange coin-
cidence, I am asked to-day to respond to the same
sentiment that ennobled their lives. How true those
immortal lines so dear to the heart of Abraham
"For we are the same as our fatliers have been.
We see the same sights our fathers have seen.
We drink the same stream and view the same sun,
And run the same course our fathers have run."
Would that their mantles might fall on worthier
shoulders! We know not what hard^ihip3 those early
pioneers experienced on their missions of cheer and
healing in a new and scattered community. To-day
there is hardly a hamlet in Massachusetts so small
but that a physician is there willing and anxious to
relieve suffering humanity of its ills and bills. To-
day so numerous and common have doctors become
that oftentimes it is thought unnecessary to pay
them. It was in the Old VVorld that a tourist in a
remote place asked a native if there was a doctor
anywhere about, and when told there was not, asked
in amazement: "And what do you do when taken
suddenly ill?" "Oh," he replied, "we just die a na-
tural death." The advances that have been made
in medicine in two hundred and fifty years seem
almost incredible, and so skillful have surgeons be-
come in certain operations that you almost wonder
whether certain organs and parts of the body are real-
ly superfluous or to test the skill of the operator. The
following epitaph is a testimonial to surgical thorough-
ness: "To our beloved father, who has gone to join
his appendix, his tonsils, his kidney, an arm, a leg
and such other parts of his anatomy as his devoted
surgeon found he must dispense with. He is at rest
with the majority."
It is with great pride that we linger long over the
names of that little handful of men that Ixjught their
rights on Sachem Rock, and gave us birthright in an
honored ancestry on historic grounds. Little thought
that struggling band of Pilgrims that they had fovmd
in Plymouth Rock the cornerstone of a mighty na-
tion, that such feeble beginnings nurtured in weak-
ness by abiding faith should bear the glorious fruition
of our civil and religious freedom. Our heritage
to-day oceans cannot bound and far isles of the sea
float the flag of our freedom.
The following poem was composed by Dr.
Dyer for the occasion and was read by him :
I love the land that gave me birth.
Where Pilgrim faith a refuge found.
Where Puritan of sterling worth
A nation built on freedom's giound.
Where'er I be, be thou ray star!
My home, thy name, America.
1 love the flag of Freedom's home
Flung over land from sea to sea.
Where exiles from all nations come
To reap the fruits of liberty.
Your portals flung wide op^n are
A home for all, America.
I love the names that made thee great.
Vast nation of the western world;
Whom millions learn to venerate
Where'er thy flag shall be unfurl'd.
Time cannot dim. no stain shall mar
Thy heroes' fame, America.
The God of nations loves our land
Where Justice rules in eqiiity;
America will always stand
For Union, Peace and Liberty,
Till lands and seas and islands far
Shall be like thee, America.
On April 7, 1908, Dr. Dyer delivered the
oration upon the occasion of the unveiling of
the tablet to the memory of the Revolutionary
soldiers of Abington by Capt. John Pulling
Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolu-
tion, of Whitman.
(IX) Edward Oscar Dyer, son of the late
Edward Loring and brother to Dr. Ebenezer
Alden Dyer, was born on the old homestead
Jan. 14, 1853, and received his education in
the public schools and the State normal
school at Bridgewater, after which he taught
school for one year at Palmer, Mass. He then
entered Phillips (Andover) Academy, where
he graduated in 1875, and from there he went
to Amherst College, graduating therefrom in
the class of 1878. Determining to enter the
ministry he began the study of theology in the
Hartford Theological Seminary, and later
studied in the Theological Seminary at And-
over, where he graduated in 1881. After his
ordination he was stationed at Raymond, N.
H., and later was called to the Congregational
Church at South Braintree. His next charge
was at Sharon, Conn., and for the past several
years he has been pastor of the Congregational
Church at Chester, Conn. Rev. Mr. Dyer is
a writer of note, and enjoys the family's poet-
ical gift. He has written a volume of poems,
entitled "Legend of Hobomoc, and Other
Poems." He also wrote "Gnadensee, or the
Lake of Grace," and "The Camp of Pocon-
nuck," a story of the Connecticut border.
On June 5, 1895, Rev. Mr. Dyer was married
to Mary Woolworth Burbank. They have no
DELANO. The Delano family of New Bed-
ford and vicinity is decended from the Hugue-
nots of France and the Separatists of England.
(I) Philip De La Noye (Delanoy or de
Lannoy) was born in Leyden, Holland, in 1602,
and was a son of Jean and Marie de Lannoy,
who to escape the persecutions of the Roman
Catholic party then in power went to Leyden.
Philip was baptized there in the Walloon
Church in 1603, and he grew up under the
teaching and influence of the Separatists of the
Church of England, who fled to Holland in
1608, taking up their abode in Leyden. Philip
De La Noye was a passenger on the ship "For-
tune" in 1621. He received an acre of land
at the distribution of land in Plymouth in
1624. He was made a freeman Jan. 1, 1632-33,
and early removed to Duxbury, settling a little
north of John Alden. He was a man of much
respectability and was employed in surveying
lands, and was often one of the Grand Inquest
of the Colony. Under the name of Philip De-
lano he was married (first) at Duxbury, Mass.,
Dec. 19, 1634, to Hester Dewsbury. He mar-
ried (second) in 1657 Mary Pantus (or Pon-
tus), widow of James Glass and daughter of
William Pontus. To the first marriage were
born: Mary, born in 1635; Esther, 1638;
Philip, Jr., about 1640; Thomas, March 21,
1642; John, 1644; Jane, 1646; Jonathan
(Lieut.), .1647'; and Rebecca, 1651. To the
second marriage was born one child, Samuel,
(II) Lieut. Jonathan Delano, son of Philip
and Hester, was born in Duxbury in 1647, and
he died in Dartmouth Dec. 23, 1720. He re-
moved to Dartmouth and became one of the ori-
ginal proprietors there, his name appearing in
the confirmatory deed from Governor Bradford
Nov. 13, 1694. His share comprised about
eight hundred acres, and one authority says
he lived near the brook at Tusket Hill. He
and Seth Pope were chosen deputies to the
General Court in June, 1689. He held many
offices, such as constable, surveyor, commis-
sioner, selectman, etc. He was commissioned
lieutenant by Governor Hinckley, Dec. 25,
1689, and he served in the Indian war of 1675-
76, being with Capt. Benjamin Church at
Mount Hope, the stronghold of King Philip,
the Indian chief. At Plymouth, Feb. 28, 1678,
he married Mercy Warren, born Feb. 20, 1658,
daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah (Walker)
Warren, and granddaughter of Richard and
Elizabeth Janette (Marsh) Warren, of the
"Mayflower." Their children were: A daugh-
ter, bom Nov. 25, 1678 (died unnamed on the
28th of the same month) ; Jonathan, Jr., Jan.
20, 1680; Jabez, Nov. 8, 1682; Sarah, Jan. 9,
1684; Mary, Oct. 27, 1686; Nathan, Oct. 29,
1688; Bethia, Nov. 29, 1690; Susanna, Sept.
3, 1693 ; a son, Oct. 22, 1694 (died same day) ;
Nathaniel, Oct. 29, 1695; Esther, April 4,
1698 ; Jethro, July 31, 1701 ; and Thomas, May
(III) Jabe^ Delano, son of Lieut. Jonathan
and Mercv (Warren), born Nov. 8, 1682, mar-
ried (first) in Duxbury, Mass., Feb. 8, 1710,
Mary Delano, daughter of John and Mary
(Weston) Delano. She was bom in Duxbury
in 1683, and died in Dartmouth April 29, 1716.
He married (second) in Dartmouth, in 1717.
Hannah Peckham. His children were: Mary,
born April 12, 1712; Jonathan, Feb. 13, 1713:
Susanna, Nov. 16, 1717; Abigail, May 1, 1719;
Jabez, April 25, 1723; Mercy, Aug. 27, 1725;
Eunice, May 31, 1727; Hannah, May 28, 1729:
Stephen, May 18, 1732; and Sarah, May 24,.
(IV) Jabez Delano (2), son of Jabez and
Hannah (Peckham), born April 25, 1723, died
in January, 1768. He married (first) Deborah,
daughter of Nathan and Hannah Barlow, who
was born in Rochester, Mass., March 30, 1731.
He married (second) in Rochester Ruth, born
Nov. 16, 1736, daughter of John and Bethia
Goodspeed. His children were: Harper, born
Dec. 20, 1747; Stephen, Jan. 17, 1749; Beulah,
Jan. 27, 1751; Hannah, June 26, 1754 (died
young); Nathan, July 9, 1756; Jabez, June
15, 1758; Deborah, May 15, 1761; Anna, Nov.
5, 1762; Bethia, Sept. 21, 1764; Hannah, May
18, 1766; and Mary, Jan. 30, 1768.
(V) Jabez Delano (3), son of Jabez (2),
born June 15, 1758, died in Savannah, Ga., in
1817. On June 13, 1782, in Rochester, he
married Rhoda, bom in that town April 26,
1762, daughter of James and Ruth Blanken-
ship. He married (second) June 23, 1807^
Jedidah Briggs. His children were : James,
born Sept. 18, 1789; Azubah, March 12, 1791;
Betsey, in 1793; Lucy, June 4, 1796; Henry
Dow, Aug. 26, 1798; Job; Jabez, June 9,
1803; and Beulah.
Jabez Delano (3) served in the Revolution-
ary war from 1776 to 1783, as one of General
Washington's bodyguard. At the storming of
an important redoubt General Washington
called twenty men, of whom Jabez Delano was
one, as a picked guard.
(VI) James Delano, son of Jabez (3), bom
Sept. 18, 1789, died in Marion July 15, 1875.
He married in Rochester Sept. 17, 1816, Doro-
thy, daughter of Philip and Sarah (Hathaway)
wing. She was born Dec. 23, 1794, and died
in Marion March 12, 1865. Their children
were: John, born Sept. 13, 1817; Amanda F.,
May 29, 1819; George, May 13, 1821; James,
June 20, 1823 (died Nov. 12, 1825) ; Anna
Maria, May 23, 1825 (died May 1, 1828) ; Ann
Maria (2), Feb. 17, 1828; Sophia Matilda,
Sept. 16, 1830; and Betsey Richmond, June
(VII) George Delano, son of James, born
May 13, 1821, died in Rochester Jan. 6, 1890.
He married March 20, 1845, Abigail, daughter
of George and Cynthia (Washburn) Leonard,
bom in New Bedford March 16, 1822. To this
union were born children as follows: James,
born in Marion Aug. 13, 1846; Stephen Clark
Luce, June 2, 1848 ; and Charles Henry Leon-
ard, Aug. 27, 1859.
In 1869 George Delano succeeded to the oil
business of Charles H. Leonard, in whose em-
ploy he had been from 1855, and in 1884 his
sons, Stephen L. C. and James, entered the
firm, and after their father's death they be-
came the sole proprietors. The oil works
occupied nearly two acres of land, at the cor-
ner of South Second and South streets, and
the firm was probably more extensively en-
gaged in the refining of grease oil than any
other concern in the world.
(VIII) Stephen Clark Luce Delano, son of
George and Abigail (Leonard) Delano, was
bom in Rochester, Mass., June 3, 1848, and
died at his home in Marion Aug. 18, 1910.
After a business experience in Boston he be-
came with his brother, the late James Delano,
a member of the firm of George Delano &
Sons, in 1884, and for many years represented
the firm in New York City. About ten years
before his death he retired from active business
and after that made his home in Marion. He
was higlily respected, and although he did not
hold active membership in many organizations
after his retirement he quietly but generously
gave financial aid and was interested in all
Mr. Delano married Rosa Doane, of New
Bedford, who survives him with four children :
George; Abby L., wife of Leffert Lefferts, of
Brooklyn, N. Y. (they have two children, John
and Helen) ; Arthur D., who is married and
has a daughter, Ruth; and Helen H., who mar-
ried George M. Piersol, of Philadelphia, Pa.,
and has a daughter, Helen.
(VIII) Charles Henry Leonard Delano,
son of George and Abigail (Leonard) Delano,
was bom in New Bedford Aug. 27, 1859. His
early education was obtained at the Friends'
Academy, and he later attended the Military
Academy at Peekskill, eventually entering Har-
vard College, from which institution he gradu-
ated in 1881. He was more active in the pub-
lic service than in business, his connection %vith
the firm of George Delano & Sons in the oil
business covering but a few years, after which
he withdrew. Subsequently he maintained no
active interest in commercial affairs. He al-
ways made his home in New Bedford, where
he became very prominent in his association
with the municipal government. Such services
as he gave are possible only to one who com-
bines intelligence and foresight with the highest
ideals of civic responsibility. In 189.5 he be-
came a member of the common council, in
which he served several years. Later he became
assessor at large for New Bedford, was chosen
chairman of the board of assessors in 1900,
and resigned the incumbency in 1901, itÂ«
duties, as he saw them, demanding more of his
time than he felt he could spare. His fidelity
to the trust reposed in him,, his characteristic
conscientiousness, made him an official of such
high value that his withdrawal was the occa-
sion of widespread regret among his fellow
citizens. Mr. Delano died at his residence, on
County street. New Bedford, Feb. 24, 1911,
in his fifty-second year. He was a member of
the Wamsutta Club and of the New Bedford
On June 18, 1895, Mr. Delano married Sarah
Spooner Bullard, who was born in New Bed-
ford May 20, 1866, daughter of John Lincoln
and Sarah (Spooner) Bullard.
(IX) George Delano, son of Stephen C. L.
and Rosa (Doane) Delano, was born in New
Bedford, Mass., Jan. 10, 1874. He was edu-
cated in the public schools of. Brooklyn, N. Y.,
the Polytechnic, New York Military Academy,
at Cornwall, N. Y., and Newark Business Col-
lege. For two years he was in his father's
office in New York. At the age of twenty-one
he entered the employ of the City Mill, in
New Bedford, was later with the Potomaka
Mills, and in 1902 became assistant superin-
tendent of the Parker Mill in Fall River. In
October, 1905, he was made superintendent of
the Bourne Mills and upon the death of George
A. Chace, in October, 1907, was elected treas-
On April 16, 1902, Mr. Delano was mar-
ried, at Lexington, Ky., to Elsie Goodloe, and
they have tliree children : George, Jr., born
March 24, 1905 ; Leslie, Feb. 1, 1909 ; and Wil-
liam Goodloe, Oct. 20, 1910.
Mr. Delano is a member of the Church of
the Ascension ; of the Quequechan â‚¬lub of Fall
River; Fall River Golf Club; New Bedford
Country Club; and Rhode Island Golf Club.
NEWCOMB. The Newcomb family, of
which the late Washington Lafayette Newcomb,
of Taunton, was a member, is one of the oldest
and most prominent families in New England.
(I) Capt. Andrew Newcomb was the first of
the name to locate in New England, making
his home in Boston, Mass. He was a seafar-
ing man, and was a master mariner. He was
(II) Lieut. Andrew Newcomb (2), eldest
son of Capt. Andrew, was born about 1640.
He was twice married, his first wife being
Sarah and his second Anna Bayes.
(III) Simon Newcomb, son of Lieut. An-
drew (2), was born about 1666 in Maine. He
moved with his father to Edgartown, Mass.,
but in 1713 moved to Lebanon, New London
Co., Conn., where he died Jan. 20, 1744, at
the age of seventy-nine years. He married
Deborah in 1687, and she died in Lebanon,
Conn., June 17, 1756, aged ninety-two years.
(IV) Hezekiah Newcomb, son of Simon, was
bom in 1693-94, at Edgartown, Mass., and re-
moved with his parents to Connecticut, locating
at Lebanon. Here he followed the trade of
carpenter and joiner. He married Jerusha
Bradford, Nov. 14, 1716. She was the daugh-
ter of Thomas Bradford, of Norwich, Conn.
They became the parents of eight children,
among whom was Peter.
(V) Peter Newcomb, son of Hezekiah, was
bom Nov. 28, 1718, in Lebanon, Conn. He
married Nov. 2, 1740, Hannah English, daugh-
ter of Richard English. Peter Newcomb made
his home in Columbia, Conn., where he died
Sept. 26, 1779. Mr. and Mrs. Peter Newcomb
were the parents of six children.
(VI) Hezekiah Newcomb (2), eldest son of
Peter, was born May 6, 1747, in what was then
the town of Lebanon, now Columbia, Conn.
He married Sept. 15, 1768, Lydia Hunt,
daughter of Thomas Hunt, of Norwich, Conn.,
and they located in Bernardston, Franklin Co.,
Mass., where he died Jan. 25, 1821. They had
seven cjiildren, the eldest being Hezekiah.
(VII_) Hezekiah Newcomb (3), son of Heze-
kiah (2), was born June 12, 1769, in Leba-
non, Conn. He moved with his parents to Ber-
nardston, Mass., where he married Ruth Burn-
ham, born Dec. 6, 1766. He died on a farm
in Leyden, Mass., where his life was spent, Aug.
19, 1844. His wife died April 9, 1846. They
were the parents of eleven children.
(VIII) Hezekiah Newcomb (4), son of
Hezekiah (3), was born Feb. 27, 1792, in
Leyden, Franklin Co., Mass., and here followed
farming. He married May 26, 1816, Nancy
A. Rounds, who was born March 1, 1797, in
Rehoboth, daughter of Hezekiah and Jemima
Rounds, and she died in Auburn, N. Y., Sept.
16, 1862. Mr. Newcomb moved to Cortland,
N. Y., in 1834, and died there Nov. 8, 1839.
He was a school teacher for some years, but
afterward followed farming. He held the rank
of Colonel in a New York regiment, and served
as a member of the State Legislature in Massa-
chusetts. Ten children were born to this couple :
(1) Dianthia D., born Nov. 10, 1818, died
in August, 1840. (2) Louisa Almira, born
Feb. 5, 1820, married George W. Mabey. (3)
Hezekiah T., born April 3, 1821, died Oct. 8,
1832. (4) Rodolphus Burnham, born April
2, 1823, was a farmer in Homer, N. Y. (5)
Washington Lafayette was born Sept. 20, 1825.
(6) Maria Jemima, born May 8, 1828, mar-
ried Oct. 10, 1859, Ira S. Allen. (7) Mary
Lydia, bom May 10, 1830, married Sept. 12,
1852, Rev. Charies W. Tomlinson. (8) Heze-
kiah Augustus, born Dec. 31, 1832, died in
Taunton. (9) Francis Dwight, born Sept. 22,,
1835, died in Taunton, Mass. (10) Cyrenius
Adelbert, born Nov. 10, 1837, resides in De-
troit, Mich., where he is a prominent business
(IX) Washington Lafayette Newcomb,
son of Col. Hezekiah Newcomb, was born Sept.
20, 1825, at Leyden, Franklin Co., Mass., and
he was nine years old when he moved with
his parents to New York State, locating at
Cortland. Here he attended school and made
such good progress in his studies that at the
age of seventeen he was given the first school
at Wellsboro, Pa., in the year 1842. He was
but a lad of fourteen when his father died and
his efforts to gain his education were made
doubly hard because of this loss. He taught
school two years at Wellsboro and also taught
at other places until the year 1846, when he
came to Massachusetts and located in the town
of Norton, Bristol county. Here he taught
school during the winter season (working at
carpenter work during the rest of the year),
during the years 1846, 1847 and 1848. In the
winters of 1849 and 1850 he taught school in
the town of Mansfield, in 1851 and 1852 again
at Norton, during all this time spending some
of his time at carpentering. Although a very
successful teacher he cared for a business
rather than a professional career, and ^vith this
end in view he came to Taunton, in 1852,
where he ever after made his home. Buying
out the sash, blind and door business, which
was conducted by William H. Bliss, he contin-
ued the business on Weir street, taking in as
partners his brothers, Hezekiah Augustus and
Francis Dwight, under the firm name of W. L.
Newcomb & Co. The business was conducted
successfully imtil 1885, when the partnership
was dissolved and the business disposed of to
George B. Williams. At this time Mr. New-
comb retired from active business pursuits, giv-
ing his entire time and attention to his real
estate interests. He built several houses in
Taunton, and erected his own home on Web-
ster street, where his widow still resides. Mr.
Newcomb became well known and respected
for his high principles, his strict honesty in
business and his genial manner. Formerly a
Whig, he became a Republican, but never
aspired to office. He died at his home Aug. 1,
1900, and was buried in Mount Pleasant ceme-
tery. He was one of those fine men who be-
lieve in making the Golden Rule their every-
day habit, and he consistently held to it.
Mr. Newcomb married March 29, 1849, in
Foxboro, Mass., Sarah Jane Smith, born Dec.
12, 1831, in Norton, Mass., daughter of Seth
and Sarah Makepeace (Wetherell) Smith, and
granddaughter of Abisha and Philena (Morey)
Smith. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary
war. Mrs. Newcomb is now living at her
home on Webster street. Two children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Newcomb : Mary Eliza-
beth, born April 10, 1861, died May 17, 1864;
and Winifred Jane, born Oct. 20, 1864, mar-
ried Oct. 22, 1884, Charles F. Ripley, a well
known druggist of Taunton. She died June
9, 1893, leaving two children, Ruth N. (born
Feb. 8, 1887, married Luther J. Anthony, and
they have two children, Luther J., Jr., and
Elizabeth) and Howard Cyrenus Newcomb
(born Aug. 27, 1892).
OLIVER B. QUINBY, treasurer of the
well-known shoe manufacturing concern of
Stacy-Adams Company, of Brockton, is one of
that city's substantial and highly respected
citizens, his long official connection with one
of the city's most prosperous and important
industries, together with his worth as a cap-
able and conservative business man, entitling
him to rank among the leading and influential