Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 10 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 10 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The smelter building is 80'x400', and contains one blast furnace



IX ARIZONA



131



56'xl80' with 14' settler, and three blast furnaces 48'x240' with 16'
settlers, all fitted with hot blast pipes. In the converter line there
are four stands 93'xl38', barrel type shells, electrically operated.
There is also one Knudsen furnace.

In this building there are also two 40-ton and two 50-ton electric
traveling cranes that traverse the full length of the building, and are
used for handling the converter, matte, and slag ladles. All the fur-
naces are connected to the main dust flue, which runs the full length
of the smelter building. Near the center of this flue is located the
main down-take leading to a large brick dust chamber, where the
dust settles from the escaping gases. From the dust chamber the
gases are carried to the main stack, which is built of steel, is 20 feet
in diameter and 165 feet high. The smelter building is also fitted
with the necessary blast pipes for the furnaces and converters, also
water pipes and pipes for compressed air.

The ore for the smelter upon arriving at the surface at the shaft is
dumped directly into the main storage bins, from which it is loaded
into the furnace feed cars and taken by electric locomotives to the
feed floors, and dumped into the furnaces by means of air lifts.

The water supply is piped from various springs south of Jerome,
the farthest being 16 miles. It flows by gravity and is distributed
along the various tanks about the plant aggregating a storage capacity
of 435,000 gallons. The works are secured from fire by a first class
system of water mains. Numerous hose houses are located about the
plant, sufficiently equipped for all purposes.

The mines, smelter and city of Jerome are connected with the main
line of the Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix Railroad at Jerome Junc-
tion by the United Verde & Pacific Railroad, which consists of 26
miles of narrow gauge line traversing a very difficult country, and
the scenic effects which greet the eye of the visitor as the train winds
round the sharp curves approaching Jerome are decidedly spectacular.
The rolling equipment of this road consists of eight mogul type, nar-
row gauge locomotives equipped for burning fuel oil; five passenger
cars and 144 freight cars of various kinds, including box, flat, oil,
coal, coke, and rock cars.

The United Verde mine is worked from vertical shafts, of which
there are four, ranging in depth from 300 to 1,500 feet. Where the
ore comes to the surface it is worked from open cuts. There are also
adits which connect the main workings on the 300, 500 and 1,000 foot
levels. There are copper precipitating flumes outside on these levels.

The 1,000 tunnel, which is 6,593 feet long, seven and one-half feet
high and eight feet wide, is now used for drainage and ventilation.
It was driven for this purpose as well as for a main haulage way for
the ores for the new smelter.

A large area of the old workings is in the fire district, and except
where work is being carried on in this district it is bulkheaded from
the remainder of the mine. A portion of it is being worked from the



I N A RI Z O N A 133

300 and 400 levels. The ground in and about these places is badly
broken up, and fans are used to force back the gas and sufficiently cool
the place so that good results can be obtained. There are about 15
miles of workings open at the present time. There are about 550
men employed, and the tonnage is about 1,000 tons a day.

New Smelter: In the Verde Valley, at Clarkdale, approximately
six miles from the present smelter site, and connected with the mine
at the 1000-foot level by the Verde Tunnel and Smelter Railroad, a
new smelter of approximately 3,000 tons daily capacity is in course of
erection. It is the intention to make the new smelter thoroughly
modern in every detail. In general, the equipment at the new smelter
will consist of: Four 48x26 ft. blast furnaces; three 19x100 ft. re-
verberatory furnaces; five 12 ft. converters; large receiving and stor-
age bins for ore and coke ; sampling mill, thoroughly equipped with
the latest machinery for this class of work ; dust chambers, stacks and
ore handling system, etc., designed according to the latest engineering
practice.

The shops will be equipped with modern machinery. The ware-
house and main buildings will be steel structures, designed with a
liberal allowance of operating space. Approximately 10,000,000
brick and 8.000 tons of steel will be used 'n the construction of this
plant. A modern brick plant to make the brick is in the course of
construction. The material will be handled in and around the plant
by a modern industrial system, including the latest design of electric
locomotives, conveyors, trams, etc.

The townsite of Clarkdale will be controlled by the Copper Com-
pany. It has been laid out on strictly modern, and sanitary lines.
The buildings have been carefully designed with due regard to cli-
matic conditions, etc. The fire and water supply system has received
careful attention. A 40,000 volt transmission line, connected with
the Arizona Power Company's mains supplies the necessary power for
construction requirements.

The bulk of the power for operating the smelter will be supplied
from waste heat boilers, connected to the reverberatory furnaces.

The new smelter and townsite are connected with standard guage
Verde Valley Railroad, running up the Verde Valley, a distance of
40 miles, and connecting with the Santa Fe, Prescott & Phoenix Rail-
road at Cedar Glade. This gives the new townsite and smelter a
decided advantage in transportation facilities over the old smelter and
Jerome narrow gauge connection.

The business office of the United Verde Company is at No. 20 Ex-
change Place, New York City, and the mines and works offices at
Jerome, Arizona. The officers are : Honorable W. A. Clark, Presi-
dent ; James A. McDonald, Vice President ; J. H. Anderson, Secre-
tary ; H. H. St. Clair, Treasurer; Will L. Clark, Manager for
Arizona.



W H O ' S W H O I X A R I Z O N T A 13-5



The Ray Consolidated

RAY CONSOLIDATED COPPER MIXES, situated at Ray, Pinal
County, is one of the greatest mines in the entire country in point of
production. It employs between 1,600 and 1,700 men, and has an
average monthly payroll of $135,000. The total area of mining lands
owned by the Company approximates 2,000 acres at Ray, almost all
of which is patented, and in addition to this they control under long
lease certain surface areas adjacent to the settlement of Mexican em-
ployes known as Sonoratown. At Hayden, where the mill and smelter
is located, they own about 4,000 acres situated in Gila and Pinal
Counties, and additional holdings which include the townsite of Kel-
vin, eighteen patented millsites, in area about 87 acres, and twenty-
one unpatented millsites, in area about 105 acres.

The Ray Consolidated Copper Mining Company was organized
in May, 1907, under the laws of Maine, with a capitalization of
$6,000,000, which has been increased several times and now amounts
to $12,000,000. The par value of shares is $10.00. A $3,000,000
issue of 6 per cent convertible bonds was authorized July 1, 1907, but
has been recalled by conversion into stock. They later absorbed the
Gila Copper Company, through exchange of stock, giving one share
for three, and through the purchase in 1911 of the real assets of
the Gila Copper Company in process of liquidation. During the past
year they have secured an important acquisition in the property of
the Ray Central Mining Company, which lies in the same district.
This group also was absorbed by means of a stock transaction, and is
estimated to contain 600,000 tons of copper ore averaging 5 per cent.
The Ray & Gila Valley Railroad, which is owned by this Company,
connects the town of Ray with Kelvin and Ray Junction, and joins
the Arizona Eastern at the latter point. During the past year the
line has been extended to No. 2 shaft, and a permanent station estab-
lished near that point for the convenience of the town of Ray. An-
other branch extends from a point on the Arizona Eastern to the mill
at Hayden, a distance of about three miles. The total trackage, in-
cluding sidings, is about sixteen miles, the main line to the two
branches being about ten miles. The present equipment of the line
consists of three locomotives, one hundred twenty 60-ton steel ore
cars, and the small amount of equipment necessary for passengers
and commercial freight business. The road and its equipment is in
excellent physical condition, and its operation is resulting in substan-
tial profits. The distance between Ray and Hayden via the Ray &
Gila Valley and Arizona Eastern is about twenty miles. The Ray
mine has been developed by underground workings and extensive
churn drill borings, and the Gila property has been proven by drills
mainly, holes having been bored, checker-board fashion, in 200-foot
squares. The mine is opened by two shafts about 4,000 feet apart,



136



WHO S WHO




IN ARIZONA



1:37



and in addition to the two main operating shafts, there are six other
shafts extending to the main levels for ventilation and other purposes.
It was formerly planned to operate the property through one shaft,
but it was felt that a single shaft would be inadequate for such a
mammoth property. The shafts are connected by a drift on the second
level, and by the side of each an incline shaft to be used for the
handling of men and material, the comparatively shallow depth of
the mine permitting this lavish use of extra shafts. In addition to
these, since the acquisition of the Ray Central properties, a new
shaft, known as No. 3, is being sunk to tap the ore in this group. Ore
is hauled underground in trains of 5-ton cars drawn by 10-ton eletcric
locomotives. There is a crushing plant at the mines, reducing the
ore to about one-inch size before shipment to the mill. The mill,
of 8,000 tons normal daily capacity, has eight 1,000-ton sections and
is so designed that it can be enlarged on the unit plan. The first
section was completed in March, 1911, but did not operate continu-
ously until after April 1, and subsequently additional sections were
completed until by the end of present year seven sections had been
finished. The power plant is complete and the transmission line
from this plant to Ray is in continuous and satisfactory commission,
furnishing all the power used at the mines. The pumping station for
main water supply, machine shops, warehouse and all accessories arc
completed and in full operation. The miscellaneous buildings are all
of steel frame on concrete foundation. Office buildings and quarters
for offices and employes have also been provided. The power plant
at the millsite is 10,000 horse-power and supplies electric current for
the operation of the entire property, except locomotives. The plant
has water tube boilers with four 2,500 horse-power Allis-Chalmers
triple expansion engines, direct connected to four 1,750 kilowatt
electric generators. The smelter, which adjoins the mill, has a ca-
pacity of 1,600 tons and a converter department. The company has
erected family houses of the highest type. Each family has a com-
fortable cottage of three rooms, this style having been chosen by the
company instead of the usual community quarters, so that each family
has its own home. Shower baths, electric lights and modern plumb-
ing throughout are features of these cottages, \vhich are far superior
to those usually found in isolated mining camps. Single men are
quartered two in a cottage, and these cottages, like the other build-
ings of the company, are modern in every respect and have all con-
veniences. This, however is not the most agreeable part. The price
has been reduced to cost and the rooming accommodations, which
furnish all the comforts of a home, cost the men less than ten cents a
day. The company has built a well appointed club house, where the
men have a number of forms of amusement, a shower bath, plunge
and other accessories of a place of this kind. There is also a new
hospital, with accommodations for twenty beds, well built and well



i: 1 . 1 - \v ii o s \v H o

furnished throughout, not only with all modern surgical instruments,
including an X-Ray apparatus, hut one of tin- finest operating rooms
outside a large city.

It has heen said that the Ray Consolidated management treats its
men as though they were a part of the family, and after a visit to the
camp one can not hut think that this family and all the members
thereof are most fortunate.

The office of the Company is No. 1 1 1 Broadway, New York; mine
office at Ray, and mill office at Harden, Arizona. The officers
are Sherwood Aldrich, President; Colonel D. C. Jackling, Vice Presi-
dent and General Manager; Eugene P. Shove, Secretary and Treas-
urer; Louis S. Gates, Manager; W. S. Boyd, Superintendent of
Mines; J. Q. MacDonald, Superintendent of Mills; A. J. Maclean,
Cashier; Joe H. Browne, Supply Agent. The management, practic-
ally the same as that of the Utah Copper Company, is thoroughly ex-
perienced, strong and capable.



Arizona Copper Company

ARIZONA COPPER COMPANY, LTD., whose lands consist of about
4,000 acres containing eight producing mines in Greenlee County,
was organized in August, 1884, under the laws of Great Britain, with
a capitalization of 755,000. About 20 per cent of this stock is is-
sued in the United States. The mines, except the Coronado, are de-
veloped to a depth of 500 feet only, being opened mainly by tunnels,
thereby affording cheap extraction. Notwithstanding the compara-
tively shallow zone of development, a tremendous amount of ore is in
sight. Considerable diamond drilling has been done. The Humboldt
mine, which is the principal producer, shows a large body of low-
grade disseminated chalcocite. Extraction from this property is
partly opencast, but mainly through tunnels equipped with electric
lights and electric traction. The haulage system uses the overhead
trolley. Electric locomotives of 12 horse-power haul 80-ton loads,
the line having a single track running 8,600 feet directly through the
mountain, with a loop reaching all workings of the Humboldt mine,
the tunnel running through International Hill direct to the new con-
centrator. The Longfellow mine, belonging to this Company, is the
oldest important copper mine in Arizona, dating from about 1877. A
1300-foot tunnel driven from Chase Creek connects with a 600-foot
blind shaft, obviating about three miles of railroad haulage over bad
grades. The Longfellow Extension mine has developed into a good
property.

The Coronado Group, about nine miles from Clifton, has three
shafts, the deepest of which is 1,100 feet, and shows considerable
high grade ore. Ore is taken from the different mines by six gravity
tramlines to storage bins on the Coronado railroad, from which it is



IN ARIZONA



139



en

3



pi

(-1-

3



d

s.

o

o




140 \V H S \V H O

hauled to the reduction plant at Clifton. This railroad is of 36-inch
gauge from Clifton to Metcalf, a distance of seven miles, and has
30-ton ore cars.

The mines and works use about 3,000 horse-power, supplied in
about equal portions from steam, gas and distillate engines. The gas-
engine plant is exceptionally complete. It has been planned to de-
velop hydro-electric power and transmit same from a dam about 50
miles distant. The somewhat scattered works at Clifton, Morenci,
Longfellow and Metcalf were remodeled and enlarged several times,
and the reduction plants now include six concentrators, a smelter,
lixiviation plant and acid plant.

No. 6 Concentrator has a daily capacity of 1 ,500 tons, and has
two 600-ton crushers and a 250 horse-power Nordberg engine, direct
connected to a 125 horse-power dynamo, steam being furnished by
three 400 horse-power Stirling water-tube boilers. No. 6 Mill has
a large settling basin. The Company has had trouble over tailings
and has found it necessary to use its best endeavors to keep its tailings
from entering the river. There is a tank about a mile above the town,
with an 18-inch wooden pipe line to supply clear water at flood times,
and in dry seasons, the tank being fed by seepage and spring water.

The smelter is of steel frame with slate roof and floor of iron
plates laid in cement. There are six 300-ton water-jacket blast fur-
naces, each 39x240 feet at the tuyeres, with blast supplied by Nos.
7, 9 and 10 Connersville blowers, operated by a 275 horse-power
engine. Gases from the blast furnaces pass through a 480-foot tunnel
and 300-foot stack. Matte of 50 to 55 per cent copper tenor is
charged into the converters by a 10-ton ladle handled by a 30-ton
electric crane. The converter plant has three stands and six 7-ton
shells, with a daily capacity of 50 tons of 99.5% blister copper. Disin-
tegration of slag by running water was tried, but has been discon-
tinued, and molten slag is again handled by a steam locomotive. A
complete new smelter is now under construction.

The 25-ton briquetting plant uses coal-breeze as a binder, under a
pressure of 2,000 pounds per square inch. The plant is entirely
automatic, fines going in at one end and briquettes being loaded on
cars at the other.

The acid plant makes about 3,000 tons of sulphuric acid yearly
from the fumes of the roasters, the entire product being used in the
leaching plant, which treats an average of 250 tons of low grade oxi-
dized ore daily. This is perhaps the most successful leaching plant in
the United States.

Miscellaneous enterprises include a well-equipped foundry, machine
shop, saw mill, planing mill, and 20-ton ice plant, all built of brick.
The Company also has excellent general merchandise stores at Clifton,
Longfellow and Metcalf, while a splendid library is maintained for
employes. The number of employes at the present time is over 2,700.



IN ARIZONA



141



The office of the Company is at 29 St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh,
Scotland, and the mine and works office at Clifton, Arizona. The
officers are as follows: John Wilson, Chairman ; P. Dickson, J. P. G.
Readman, J. Wilson, Y. J. Pentland, Alex McNab, J. P., and Lord
Salveson, Directors ; Norman Carmichael, General Manager ; William
Exley Miller, Secretary; George Fraser, Smelter Superintendent;
Archibald Morrison, Mill Superintendent at Clifton; J. G. Cooper,
Purchasing Agent. The Company is entitled to much credit for its
conservatism and the thoroughly successful working of its plant.



The Shannon Copper Co.

THE SHANNON COPPER COMPANY was organized November 13,
1899, under the laws of Delaware, for the purpose of purchasing the
Hughes and Shannon mine, which had been for years considered the
equal of any copper mine in Arizona. It had been owned for twenty
years by Charles M. Shannon, the well known pioneer of the district,
who had been unable to interest capital to develop the property so as
to bring it to a producing stage, until he attracted the attention of
Mr. W. B. Thompson, of Boston. Mr. Thompson, however, would
not undertake to handle the property unless it w y as sold outright,
which Air. Shannon agreed to do with the understanding that he be
allowed to retain an interest in the company as stockholder. The
company was capitalized at $3,000,000, par value of shares $10; and
in July, 1909, this amount was increased to $3,300,000, of which
$300,000 was held in the treasury for conversion of an issue of $600,-
000 6% bonds which had been authorized in May, 1909, by the
Shannon-Arizona Railway Company, and were convertible into Shan-
non stock at $20.00. The company also had a direct issue of 7%
bonds originally $600,000 with a $60,000 annual sinking fund for
redemption, by means of which the bond issue was reduced. The
new company immediately began the systematic development of the
property, and shortly afterward purchased some adjoining claims
from the Arizona Copper Company, the pioneer mining company of
the district. This gave them not only very valuable mines, but also
control of ground which was necessary in the extensive work which
had been mapped out. Their lands now consist of about 50 claims, in
area about 400 acres, at Metcalf, in the Greenlee district, with a
millsite of about 100 acres area, and some limestone claims on the
Frisco River. The mine is developed by shafts, tunnels and open
pits, underground workings reaching a depth of about 1,300 feet be-
low the crest of the mountain. The mine is timbered with 12x\2"
square sets. Extraction is by two double track tunnels, one of which
is 7x8' in size and connects with a 1,400' double-track incline tram
leading to the Coronado Railway, with six ore-bins at either end, the
tramway, inclined at 36 deg., having 10-ton cars operating in counter-



142 \V H ' S \V H

balance with a retarding engine at the upper end, the steel cable pass-
ing around a 13' double drum, which runs a small air-compressor
that generates power while serving as an auxiliary brake. The Shan-
non Company controls the Coronado Mining Co., through ownership
of ^ 1 ' , of the stock issue, and operates under lease, the property of
the Leonard Copper Company, owning the Copper Belle mine at
Gleeson. They also own and operate the Shannon-Arizona Railway,
which is capitalized at $600, 000. This standard-gauge line of about
ten miles length, was built and equipped at a cost of about $600,000,
the territory traversed being very rugged and a 900-foot tunnel having
been necessary. It was completed in 1910, and has not only proven a
saving to the company of considerable money on ore haulage, but
gives immunity from the serious interferences formerly caused by
annual floods.

The 1,000-ton smelter at Clifton, seven miles from the mines, had
two 350-ton water-jacket blast-furnaces, which were thrown into one
large furnace by a new section between, built on the plan first used
at the Washoe works, making a single blast-furnace of 1,000 tons
daily capacity. The briquetting plant for flue dust and fines has a
daily capacity of 60 tons, and there is a small sampling mill in con-
nection. The 500-ton concentrator, on the San Francisco River, eight
miles from the mine, has ore bins 100' long, in two sections, for first
and second grade ores, and treats daily about 400 tons of ore.. Tail-
ings have carried as high as \.2 f / ( copper, due to the highly oxidized
condition of ores, but have been stored and may be leached later.
Formerly there was much trouble from acid waters eating the iron
screens, while brass or copper screens in the jigs were worn out too
rapidly by abrasion. This trouble was overcome by a simple but in-
genious application of the principle of electrolysis, a low-voltage elec-
tric current being applied to the jigs, by which the screen became a
cathode in the circuit, this attracting hydrogen from the water, which
in turn, attracts the metallic salts, and the copper freed is deposited
on that portion of the screens formerly eaten away. Water is pumped
from wells near the San Francisco River by an electric triplex pump.
The amount of ore smelted has shown an unbroken annual increase
since the fiscal year 1904, while costs have also shown improvement

The office of the company is at No. 82 Devonshire Street, Boston,
Mass., the mine office at Metcalf, Arizona, and the works office at
Clifton, Arizona. The officers are: Nathan L. Amster, president;
Alexander B. Clough, vice president; David A. Ellis, secretary; R.
Townsend McKeever, treasurer; Charles R. Jeffers, assistant secre-
tary and treasurer; John W. Bennie, general manager; H. H. Dyer,
general superintendent; H. A. Collin, mine superintendent; William
H. Bond, mill superintendent. The stock of the company is listed on
the Boston Stock Exchange, the property is considered very valuable,
and the management excellent.



IX A R I Z O X A



143




Shannon Copper Company's Mines and Smelter



144 W H O ' S W H O



Calumet and Arizona

THE CALUMET & ARIZONA MINING COMPANY was organized in
March, 1901, under the laws of Arizona with a capitalization of
$2,500,000, shares $10.00 par, and the capitalization increased Feb-
ruary, 1911, to $6,500,000. The Company has paid in dividends to
date $16,456,812, and has at present a cash surplus of $4,000,000.

The Company's holdings consist of the original Calumet & Arizona
holdings plus the large holdings of the Superior & Pittsburg Copper
Company, the merger having been effected in 1911 by exchanging one
share of Calumet & Arizona stock for three and a half shares of
Superior & Pittsburg stock.



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 10 of 58)