Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 11 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 11 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

It is now building at Douglas a smelter of 2,600 tons capacity,
consisting of two 48x40-foot blast furnaces and five 19x1 00-foot re-
verberatory furnaces. The Cananea bedding system is one of the
features, and also the most modern sampling and crushing plant for
custom work in the southwest. The roasting plant consists of twelve
21 -foot Hereshoff roasters.

The production of the Calumet & Arizona Mining Company for
1911 was 49,945,905 pounds of refined copper.

The labor at the Calumet & Arizona mines is not organzied, the
Company paying better than union wages. A referendum vote on
the Australian plan was held in 1907 and it was decided by a majority
of four to one to continue the Bisbee district on the open shop plan.
The Calumet & Arizona Mining Company was the first mining com-
pany in the state to discontinue Sunday work. This decision became
effective in August, 1910, and is now T extending over the state.

The mines in Bisbee employ about 1,400 men. At the smelter at
Douglas about 350 men are employed operating, and at the present
time an additional 250 men are employed on the construction of
the new smelter.

The Calumet & Arizona Mining Company has the reputation of
being a fair mining company, and it is the only large mining com-
pany in the state that does not own railroads and operate a company
store. The management is considered excellent in every respect. A
hospital with an efficient staff is maintained by the company for irs
employes.

The main office of the Company is at Warren, Arizona. The
eastern office is at Calumet, Michigan. The officers of the Company
are as follows: Charles Briggs, President; James Hoatson, Vice
President; Thomas Hoatson, Second Vice President; Gordon R.
Campbell, Secretary; Peter Ruppe, Treasurer; John C. Greenway,



IN ARIZONA



145




146



\V H O S W H O



General Manager; W. B. Gohring, Superintendent of Mines; James
Wood, Superintendent of the Smelter; J. E. Curry, Chief Clerk:
Walter B. Congdon, Purchasing Agent.

The Calumet & Arizona Mining Company, in addition to its
mines at Bisbee, is operating a producing mine at Courtland, Arizona,
employing ahout 75 men, and is also conducting extensive exploratory
work at Superior, in Piral County, Arizona, and at Ajo Camp, in
Pima County.

The Patagonia District

THE PATAGOXIA DISTRICT, in Santa Cruz County, is rapidly ac-
quiring an important place in mining records, as phenomenal develop-
ments have been carried on during the past year, and great attention
has been attracted to this district. A number of the heaviest mining
operators and corporations have bought properties and undertaken fur-
ther developments and large amounts of ore are now being shipped to
reduction works, while the erection of plants for the reduction of ores
too low in grade to stand the cost of shipment is being contemplated,
and will doubtless be effected in the near future. The Chief group of
mines in this district has been taken over by the same people who de-
veloped the El Tigre mine, in Mexico, and they are developing on an
extensive scale, opening large and rich bodies of ore. The Phelps-
Dodge Company have recently taken over The World's Fair group
and are extending development. W. A. Clark, of the United Verde,
has bought the Trench mine, w T hich is also being extensively developed.
The great development made to date in the R. R. R. group has been
done by N. L. Amster of Boston, president of the Shannon Copper
Company, by whom it has recently been purchased. Mining opera-
tions have been conducted in this vicinity for many years, but general-
ly in a superficial way, not having been carried to any great depth,
which has led to a rather common belief that the conditions did not
warrant deeper development. Mining experts, however, and geolo-
gists have declared that indications point to profitable deep mining, and
recent results have borne out their assertions and the advent into this
field of operators of most thorough experience and capable judgment
says volumes for the latent mineral resources of the Patagonia Dis-
trict. Here has been presented an array of eminently practical and
successful mining operators who have been attracted to the region.
They have taken hold of promising properties in good faith and are pro-
jecting operations on large scales. The first mining done in this re-
gion was by the Franciscan friars, early in the 17th century, about the
time their missions were established. When the missions were aban-
doned at the time of the termination of Spanish rule in Mexico, early
in the 19th century, the mines were concealed and abandoned and the
records removed to Spain. About this time an uprising of the Apaches
caused the entire region to become desolate, by driving away the



[ N ARIZONA



147



miners. The operation of mining was resumed after the war with
Mexico and has since been carried on intermittently, hut no great
development has resulted.




VV H O ' S W H O



Mohave County Mining

By Anson D. Smith

MINING, the principal industry, in Mohave County dates back to
the discovery of the Moss mine in the early 60's before the Territory
of Arizona was created and while that region was still within the
confines of Donna Ana County, New Mexico. The Moss vein and
mine is located four miles northeasterly from the Gold Road mine
and the report of the discovery soon attracted hundreds of pros-
pectors and miners from the gold districts of California and Nevada.
Some of the surface ores of the Moss and neighboring properties in
the Black or River Range, then known as the Blue Range, were
extremely rich, yielding handsome profits after the payment of ship-
ping expenses by pack train to the Colorado river, by river steamer
to Port Isabel, down the Gulf of California to Point Arena, up the
coast to San Francisco, thence to Swansea, Wales, for treatment.
Owing to the hostility of the Piute and Hualapai Indians, explora-
tions w r ere confined to 'a very limited district until 1865, when a
daring party of miners ventured into the Cerbat range, only to be
massacred, \vith the exception of one, on Silver Hill, where the town
of Chloride was later established and is now flourishing.

When the Territory of Arizona was created in 1864, Mohave
County became one of its four great political subdivisions. On the
admission of Nevada to statehood in 1865 that part of Mohave west
of the Colorado River was annexed to the Sagebrush State, and the
county seat was removed to Hardyville, ten miles northeasterly from
the Moss mine. With the discovery of rich veins in the Cerbat
range the county seat was moved to Cerbat, and later to Mineral
Park, where it remained until 1887, when it was removed to King-
man.

Mining in the Black and Cerbat ranges continued under very
adverse conditions until the construction of the Atlantic & Pacific

Railroad, when practically the first development below water level
was begun. Prosperity followed until the depreciation in the price
of silver, when attention was again turned to the gold deposits of
the Black or River range, resulting in the discovery of the Gold Road
and Tom Reed mines, to which, with the Golconda, the largest zinc
producer in the State, the present prosperity of Mohave County is
due. Besides these, many other properties of merit are in various
stages of development, adding much to the annual output of gold,
silver and zinc which is now attracting the attention of mining in-
vestors of this and other countries.



T N ARIZONA



149




Everett E. Ellinwood



W H O S W H O



EVKRKTT E. ELLIN WOOD, senior member of the la\v firm of Ellin-
\vood iS: Ross, and general counsel for Phelps, Dodge & Co. interests
in Arizona, was born in Rock Creek, Ashtabula Co., Ohio, July 22,
1862. He is the son of John P. and Cornelia Sperry Ellinwood.
Having completed the common school course, he attended Knox Col-
lege for three years, after which he took the law course at the Uni-
versity of Michigan. Among his classmates there were numbered
several men prominent in national affairs. He was admitted to the
bar of Illinois in 1889. The following year he came to Arizona,
where he has since been prominently identified with his profession and
is generally recognized as one of the legal authorities of the State. He
was U. S. District Attorney from 1893 to 1898; he was a member of
the Constitutional Convention and aided in drafting a large portion of
that document, but refused to sign it o\ving to the provision relating
to the recall of the judiciary. He is a Democrat of the conservative
type, was a delegate to the National Convention in 1892, and Chair-
man of the Democratic Territorial Committee for two terms. He is a
member of the American Bar Association, of which he was Vice Presi-
dent for several years. He was also delegate to the Universal Con-
gress of Lawyers which met in St. Louis in 1904. Mr. Ellinwood has
been General Attorney for the El Paso & Southwestern System and
Phelps, Dodge & Co. interests in Arizona since 1906. From 1897 to
1911 he was Commissioner for Promotion of Uniform Law 7 s in the
United States. He was married November 17, 1886, to Miss Minnie L.
Walkley and to the union have been born two children Cornelia, a
student at Smith College, and Ralph E., who is taking a preparatory
course in an Eastern school.



JOHN MASON Ross, junior member of the firm of Ellinwood &
Ross, and son of Edwin and Mary McCoy Ross, was born in Davis
County, Indiana, in 1874. His father, whose regular occupation was
farming, served throughout the Civil War as private in an Ohio Regi-
ment, and was wounded several times. Mr. Ross received his early
education in the public schools of Ohio, and later attended Stanford
University, California, from which he was graduated in 1897 w r ith
the degree LL. B. Having been admitted to practice in California, he
entered the office of A. C. Freeman, San Francisco, a well known at-
torney and law writer, with whom he was associated about three
years. On coming to Arizona, he located in Prescott, where for sev-
eral years he was associated with John J. Hawkins, one of the State's
best know r n attorneys, after which he became a member of the firm of
Norris, Ross & Smith. Not only in Yavapai, where they handled a
large portion of the litigation involving grave complications, but
throughout the State, this firm attained prominence, and their practice
called them to the courts of the various counties. The firm of Ellin-
wood & Ross, which, personally and professionally, stands second



IN ARIZONA



151



Mill



~











11




John Mason Ross



152 WHO'S WHO

to none, are general attorneys for the Copper Queen Con-
solidated Mining Company and for the El Paso & Southwest-
ern Railroad Company in Arizona, whose interests for some
years were looked after by the now senior member of the firm,
Mr. E. E. Ellinwood. When the duties of his position as gen-
eral attorney necessitated his securing a partner, Mr. Ellinwood's
choice in the matter was Mr. Ross, with whom he had formerly been
associated, and who has been a member of the present firm about three
years. Mr. Ross has served as President of the Arizona Bar Associa-
tion, was at one time President of the Yavapai Club, of Prescott, and
is now President of the Warren District Country Club, at Warren.
He was married in 1903 to Miss Mabel Edw r ards Landers, of San
Francisco, a graduate of Smith College, Northampton, Mass., and a
woman of much culture. They have three children, Hugh Landers,
aged six ; Lydia Goodwin, aged four, and Everett Mason, aged one
month. Thev make their home at Warren.



FRANK H. HEREFORD was born at Sacramento, California, on No-
vember 21, 1861. His parents a few years later, moved to Virginia
City, Nevada, and his home during the earlier period of his life was
in Nevada. His mother, Mary Jewel Hereford, dying when he was
six years old, most of his time was thereafter spent in California with
relatives and at school, until his 16th year, when his father moved to
Tucson, Arizona. Mr. Hereford's home has ever since that time
been in Arizona. He attended McClure's Academy at Oakland,
Santa Clara College at Santa Clara and the University of the Pacific
at San Jose, all of the State of California. He studied law in his fath-
er's office at Tucson, Arizona, and was admitted to practice in the
year 1885, and ever since that date has been practicing, maintaining
an office in the city of Tucson. He has made a specialty of mining and
corporation law, and is the regular attorney and chief counsel for a
number of the larger mining companies of Southern Arizona. He is
interested in a large number of business enterprises in the State, prin-
cipal amongst which are the Consolidated National Bank of Tucson,
of which he is a director, and the La Osa Cattle Company, of which
he is a director and secretary. He w r as private secretary for two years
to F. A. Trifle, Governor of Arizona; a member of the Constitutional
Convention of Arizona, which convened in the year 1891, and was
District Attorney of Pima County for two successive terms. His
father, Benjamin H. Hereford, was a lawyer of prominence in Ari-
zona; was a member of the Territorial Legislature in the year 1879,
and for several terms served as District Attorney of Pima County.
Mr. Hereford was united in marriage to Miss Adeline Rockwell, of
Milwaukee, Wis., July 30, 1901. They have three sons, Francis
Rockwell, aged 11 ; Jack, aged 6, and Edgar Tenney, aged 3.



IN ARIZONA



153




Frank H. Hereford



154 W H O S W H O

JOSEPH H. KIBBEY, who has held the highest positions of trust
and honor in the state, all of which he filled not only creditably but
with distinction, has been a resident of Arizona for many years. He
was born in Centerville, Indiana, March 4, 1853; he is the son of
John F. and Caroline E. Kibbey, and was reared and educated in his
native state. He was admitted to the bar in 1875 and continued the
practice of his profession there until 1888, when he came to Arizona
and located in Florence. Finely educated, possessing power of deep
concentration and the will to do, and coming of a line of men noted
in law, Judge Kibbey has come to have an immense law practice and a
name and reputation which reach far beyond the borders of the state.
In his native state his paternal grandfather was a judge for many
years, and his father was also a judge for twenty-five years. In 1889
he was appointed by President Harrison, Associate Justice of the Su-
preme Court, and while on the bench handed down what has become
known as the "Kibbey Decision," which refers to the use of water in
ditches and laterals, and was regarded so highly that it has been
copied in all the standard law books bearing on the subject. It has
been said that while on the bench, he had fewer reversals than any
other Arizona Judge. In 1893 Judge Kibbey moved to Phoenix,
where he has since resided. In 1902 he was elected by a good major-
ity to the Council of the 22nd Legislature, and though he was but
leader of the minority, he succeeded in doing much towards shaping
the legislation. He has also served twice as Chairman of the Terri-
torial Central Committee. In 1904 he was appointed Attorney Gen-
eral of Arizona, and held this position until 1905, when he was ap-
pointed Governor of the Territory. Judge Kibbey is a man who has
merited the commendation of the people in every phase of his career,
but in no way has he won more thorough or deserved appreciation
than through his service in behalf of the people of the Salt River Val-
ley in aiding them to secure the Tonto Reservoir and drafting the
Article of Incorporation of the Water Users' Association, which
brought such good results that it did more than all his other work to
bring him to popular favor. He was married January 10, 1877, to
Miss Nora Burbank. Mrs. Kibbey is known socially as a woman of
talent and a charming entertainer.



SAMUEL L. KINGAN, attorney-at-law, Tucson, was born in Pitts-
burgh, Pennsylvania, in 1867. He passed his early life in that city
and was educated in its public schools. Mr. Kingan took his law
course in the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, from which he was
graduated, and he was admitted to practice in 1889. Two years later
he came to Arizona, and he has since been the senior member of the
firms of Kingan & Dick and Kingan & Wright. During the years of
his residence here Mr. Kingan has built up an excellent practice and
has become prominent in legal circles, having been successful in the



IN ARIZONA



155




Joseph H. Kibbey



156 WHO'S WHO

conduct of some highly important cases, in both the local and United
States Court. Mr. Kingan is a Republican, and while he has never
held a political office, he has always taken an active interest in public
affairs. He was one of the Pima County delegates to the Constitu-
tional Convention, and served on the Judiciary, Schedule, Mode of
Amending and Miscellaneous Committees. He is a member of the
Masonic Order and belongs to the local lodge. He married Miss
Mary Tucker, of Illinois,, in 1889, and to the union was born one
daughter, Mary.



JOHN FRANKLIN HECHTMAN, senator from Gila County in the
First Arizona State Legislature, has had a varied career, having had
experience in law, government service, newspaper work, and mining,
the latter being now his chief occupation. Mr. Hechtman was born
in Erie County, Pa., in August, 1854, but in 1857 his parents removed
to St. Anthony's Falls, Minn., and in 1862 to Washington, D. C.,
where his father, Captain of Co. "K", 83rd Penn. Vol., was in the
hospital suffering from wounds received in battle. Here Mr. Hecht-
man served as messenger in the Treasury Department for more than
a year, as page in the House and Senate for five years, and afterward
was employed in the Coast Survey. He also attended public and pri-
vate schools and studied law in Washington. In May, 1875, he re-
turned to Minnesota, and remained there until the following March
and then proceeded to the Black Hills of South Dakota, but in June
of the same year located in Parrott City, Colorado, and engaged in
mining and prospecting. He spent the years 1878 and 1879 pros-
pecting in Arizona, but returned to Colorado. He had previously
been admitted to the practice of law in the Supreme Court of that
State, and in November, 1880, while performing the duties of five
county offices was elected judge of his county. Senator Hechtman
located permanently in Arizona in December, 1899, when he settled
in Globe. Shortly afterward he was admitted to practice in the state,
but he has never been actively engaged in legal work, his attention
having been devoted in the main to mining, though for a time he was
editor of the "Silver Belt". While he has been active in the inter-
ests of the Democratic party during his years of residence here, he has
steadfastly declined to become a candidate for office until the fall of
1911 when he was nominated for senator, and elected by a sweeping
majority. During the first session of the legislature the senator was
one of the notably quiet but thorough and successful workers of the
senate, and in his "Personnel of the Senate", his colleague, Senator C.
B. Wood, has said of Senator Hechtman's personality and work: "He
was one of the best liked men in the senate^always pleasant, accom-
modating, always pouring oil on the troubled waters, and always for
peace and good fellowship. As Chairman of the Judiciary Committee
and Chairman of the Committee on Counties and County Affairs, and
as a member of five other important committees, he did much splendid



IN ARIZONA



157




John P. Heohtman



158 WHO'S WHO

work." Senator Hechtman is, in fact, a man whose courtesy, consid-
eration and refinement of manner are inherent qualities, and immedi-
ately recognized as such, while his ability, practical knowledge, and
thoroughness have made him one of the most valuable members of the
legislature. In the special session he has served as Chairman of the
Joint Code Revision Committee of the two houses and was an untir-
ing worker in this momentous cause. He was also a member of five
other committees, among which are the Judiciary and Style, Revision
and Compilation.

ARCHIBALD J. SAMPSON, attorney-at-law, and one of Arizona's
most noted citizens, has been recipient of more honors at the hands of
the Federal Government than any other man in the State. In 1887
he was appointed Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary
to Ecuador, which was the first diplomatic appointment in over sixty
years to a person living in a Territory. For ten years Mr. Sampson
acted in this capacity, and in 1907 resumed his residence in Arizona.
Mr. Sampson was born near Cadiz, Ohio, June 21, 1839. He was
graduated B. S. from Mt. Union College, Ohio, in 1861, and A. M.
in 1865, and in 1890 received the degree LL. B. from the same col-
lege. He took a course at the Cleveland Law College, from w 7 hich he
received the degree LL. B. in 1866. Having been admitted to the
bar in 1865, he practiced at Sedalia, Mo., until 1873, then he re-
moved to Colorado and practiced in Canon City and Denver for the
succeeding sixteen years, when he was appointed Consul at El Paso
del Norte, Mexico, and served from 1889 to 1893. He then came to
Arizona and located at Phoenix. Here he soon took the place as a
citizen, an attorney and a statesman, to which his natural endow-
ments entitled him and no man in Arizona today stands higher in the
esteem of his fellowmen. In 1873 Mr. Sampson was nominated for
the post of U. S. Consul at Palestine, but declined the honor, and in
1876 he was elected Attorney General of Colorado. He has always
been an ardent Republican and a strong factor in the party in general
as well as in local matters. He served in the Civil War as private in
the Union Army, from which he was advanced to the rank of Captain.
He is now a member of the G. A. R. and Past Deputy Commander
of the same. He is also a 32nd degree Mason and Knight Templar.
Mrs. Sampson was formerly Miss Frances S. Wood, -of Joliet, 111.,
and since her residence in Phoenix has become socially one of the city's
most prominent women.



LEROY ANDERSON, one of the most prominent attorneys in Ari-
zona, has been a resident of this state since 1893, when he came here
from his native state, Illinois. Mr. Anderson is especially well
known as a corporation attorney, being counsel for the United Verde
Copper Company, Senator Clark's big mine, for the Consolidated
Arizona Smelting Company at Humboldt, and for the United Verde



[ N ARIZONA



159




Leroy Anderson



160 WHO'S WHO

& Pacific Railroad, and the Prescott Gas & Electric Company. He is
at present a director of the Prescott Chamber of Commerce and was
formerly vice president of this organization. He is also a director in
what promises to be the largest privately owned irrigation project in
the Southwest. He is a prominent member of the Arizona Bar Asso-
ciation, in which body he has served as president, and of the Prescott
Auto Club. Mr. Anderson is a Republican, and a leader in his party
in Yavapai county. He is especially well known for the work done by
him as president of the Anti Joint Statehood Commission in 1906,
when he so successfully conducted the fight against joint statehood.
During the Spanish-American War, he was a member of the Fifth
Illinois Volunteers. Mr. Anderson is married and makes his home in
Prescott.

LOREN FELIX VAUGHN, attorney at law, a member of the firm of
Clark & Vaughn, of Phoenix, was born in Illinois, September 17,
1874. His early life was spent on a farm, attending only the com-
mon schools until he was eighteen years old, when he procured a
teacher's certificate, which he still deems the most highly prized docu-
ment he has ever received. After remaining two years longer assisting
his father in the handling of the farm, he began teaching school in an
adjoining district; with the money earned in this way he entered the
famous Illinois College at Jacksonville, Illinois, w r here he remained
one term then resumed teaching, this time in the neighboring State of
Missouri. He later attended the Chillicothe Normal College of Mis-
souri, graduating w T ith the degree of Bachelor of Science. His teach-
ing experience covers a period of ninety-eight months, all the way from
the "cross-roads" school to High School Principalship, and holds life
certificates in Missouri and Arizona. While teaching he began the
study of law, then took one year's work in the Missouri College of



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 11 of 58)