Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 19 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 19 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Fannie Gottberg. They have two little daughters, Evelyn, aged four,
and Emily, aged two.



262



W HO S WHO




H. O. Fitzsimmons
Manager Gila Valley Bank and Trust Co. at Miami



J. R. TODD, manager of the Clifton branch of the Gila Valley
Bank & Trust Company, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1879.
He was reared and educated in his native country, and there received
his training in the banking business, having been employed in the Na-
tional Bank of Scotland in several of their offices. This bank has
about one hundred and fifty branches, and is doing business in all the
cities and principal towns of the British Isles. His knowledge of the
business is, therefore, most thorough and accurate. On coming to
Arizona Mr. Todd was first employed by the Arizona Copper Com-
pany and the Arizona & New Mexico Railway Company for five years,
and when he left the employ of the latter company was holding the
position of chief bookkeeper and paymaster. He then took a position
as assistant cashier of the Globe National Bank, Globe, which he
retained for one year, and then accepted one as traveling auditor for



IN ARIZONA



263



the Phelps Dodge Company, Inc. This he successfully filled for a
period of three years, and resigned when offered his present position in
charge of the Clifton branch of the Gila Valley Bank & Trust Com-
pany. In this capacity, Mr. Todd has used to the best advantage and
to the best interests of all concerned, his comprehensive knowledge of
banking, and the results have been exceedingly satisfactory. He is an
active member of the Masonic order, but takes no active part in poli-
tical matters. He is married, makes his home in Clifton, and has one
son.



J. C. EFROMSON, manager of the Morenci branch of the Gila Val-
ley Bank & Trust Company, to which position he was appointed to




J. C. Efromson



succeed Mr. Moore, now general manager of the entire string of
banks, is a native of Indiana. Mr. Efromson \vas born in 1880 in
Indianapolis, spent his early life there, and upon leaving school took
up railroad work. He was employed by the New York Central Lines,
and when ne left their employ, had worked up to the position of chief
accountant in Indianapolis. In 1902 he entered the employ of the



264



WHO S \V H O



Columbia National Bank of that city, with whom he continued for
five years, during which he held all subordinate positions, and had
been promoted to the position of auditor. In 1907 he came west,
spent one year in Riverside with friends, and about seven months
with the First National Bank of Los Angeles, and in 1909, having
accepted a position in the Globe branch of the Gila Valley Bank &
Trust Company, removed to Arizona. After some time in Globe he
was promoted to the position of manager of the Miami branch, which
w r as shortly followed by a promotion to his present position. In poli-
tics Mr. Efromson is a Democrat, but has never held a political office.
He is a member of the Royal Arch and Scottish Rite Masons and of
El Zaribah Temple of the Mystic Shrine of Phoenix. Mr. Efromson
was married in 1910 to Miss Marjorie Ray, of Perrysburg, Ohio,
who is a lineal descendant of Daniel Boone. One son has been born
to their union.



First National Bank of Douglas

THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF DOUGLAS is incorporated under
the laws of Arizona and is a United States depository. It was or-
ganized with a capitalization of $100,000, and its management com-
prises some of the most reliable and prominent citizens of the state.
Honorable B. A. Packard, a pioneer Arizona business man whose repu-
tation throughout the state for business ability, integrity and efficiency
is absolutely unexcelled, is the president. Being a man whose person-
ality has attracted to him positions of honor and trust, both appointive
and elective, Mr. Packard's name in the list of organizers and at the
head of this institution has been one of its valuable assets from the
beginning. E. W. Graves, cashier, is a thoroughly trained and com-
petent bank official. . He has been known in the financial life of Ari-
zona for many years and spent almost two decades in the employ of
the Consolidated National Bank of Tucson, and to his business ca-
pacity and uniform courtesy much of the bank's continuous growth
may be attributed. Its deposits now amount to more than $850,000,
and its total resources are more than a million. Its affairs are judi-
ciously managed on a broad, but conservative, basis, and its facilities,
both financial and physical, for accommodating the public wants are
ample. The First National Bank is located on the most prominent
corner in Douglas, Tenth and "G" Avenues, in a modern, complete
three story building which is an addition to the business section of the
city. The equipment is modern and includes a large safety deposit
vault. The Board of Directors includes the officials previously named
and T. E. Pollock, president of the Arizona Central Bank of Flag-
staff ; L. W. Powell, well known mining man of Cochise County;
James Wood, George Dawe and A. B. Packard, all of Douglas.



IN ARIZONA



265




Burdett Aden Packard



-66 WHO'S WHO

BURDETT ADEN PACKARD, miner and cattleman, is one of the most
prominent and interesting men of Arizona, with whose history he has
been actively associated since 1880. Mr. Packard was born in Port-
ville, New York, November 1, 1847, and was educated principally
under private tutors, but later attended Alfred Academy, New \ ork.
His parents, Ashley G. and Virtue V. Crandall Packard, were of
English descent. Mr. Packard's business life began at the age of six-
teen, when he went into the lumber business with his father; at eigh-
teen he became associated with the mercantile business, and after six
years of service in this capacity, located in Bradford, Penn., where he
operated in oil. His next move was to Arizona, where he took up
mining and cattle business, and located at Tombstone, and during his
residence there owned, developed and sold several large mines at re-
munerative figures. Since 1884 his interests have been largely in the
cattle business, and he was formerly associated with William C.
Greene in the ownership of the Turkey Track Cattle Company, oper-
ating in Sonora, Mexico, and Arizona, whose holdings comprise about
700,000 acres of land and 40,000 head of cattle. Politically, Mr.
Packard has been actively interested in the affairs of the Democratic
party, but the demands of business have prevented his devoting but
little time to official life. He has, however, represented the County of
Cochise in the Council during the 18th and 19th sessions of the Legis-
lature. In the former he gained much distinction as author of the re-
districting bills and other measures that have proven of great benefit
to the state. In the latter he was member of the Committees on Mines
and Mining; Ways and Means; Enrolled and Engrossed Bills;
Claims, and Territorial Affairs, and was a strong influence in the
Council. He is president of the First National Bank of Douglas, to
which position he was chosen in 1907. He is a prominently known
Mason of the 32nd degree and member of the Mystic Shrine. Mr.
Packard has been twice married. His first wife, formerly Miss Ella
Lewis, of New York, to whom he was married in 1879, died in 1891,
leaving three children. In May, 1903, Mr. Packard was again mar-
ried to Mrs. Carlota W. Holbrook, of Tucson.



E. W. GRAVES, Cashier of the First National Bank of Douglas,
has had many years' experience in banking, most of which has been
with banks in Southern Arizona. Mr. Graves was born in Dubuque,
Iowa, in 1869, and gained his first experience in the financial world
with the First National Bank, Colorado Springs. When quite a
young man he came to Arizona, and for twenty years was employed
in the Consolidated National Bank, Tucson, where he served suc-
cessively as messenger, general clerk and assistant cashier, and removed
to Douglas to become cashier of the First National Bank, and much
of the success of this bank may be attributed to his indefatigable zeal,
careful business methods, and uniform courtesy to its patrons. He is



[ N ARIZONA



267



also a member of its Board of Directors. In 1902 Mr. Graves
was married in El Paso to Miss Sadie Etchells, of Tucson. He has
one child, Petra. Mr. Graves is a well known member of the
Douglas Lodge of Elks.




E. W. Graves



Citizens Bank & Trust Co.

THE CITIZEXS BANK & TRUST COMPANY, Bisbee, was organized
June 30, 1906, by more than fifty of the substantial business men of
Bisbee with an authorized capitalization of $100,000. This bank
opened for business October 8, 1906, having a paid in capital of $50,-
000, since that time its business has grown with the Warren District,
and it now enjoys the confidence of its fifteen hundred patrons. The
home of the Citizens Bank & Trust Company, situated on Main
Street, is constructed throughout of reinforced concrete, and is the
only really fireproof building in Bisbee. It is elegantly fitted out
with up to date furniture and fixtures, has two reinforced burglar



268



\V H O S WHO




Will E. McKee



IN ARIZONA



2G9



and fireproof vaults and is equipped with time lock safes and safety
deposit boxes of the most modern design. The Citizens Bank & Trust
Company handles every branch of the banking business and was the
pioneer in Bisbee in the establishment of a Savings Department paying
interest at the rate of four per cent per annum upon savings accounts.
Since the exceptional success of this department became recognized the
other banks in Bisbee have installed Savings Departments along the
same lines, and now the combined savings accounts in the district ag-
gregate more than three-quarters of a million dollars. The officers
of the Citizens Bank & Trust Company are Will E. McKee, presi-
dent ; B. A. Taylor, first vice president ; F. A. Watkins, second vice
president; C. A. McDonald, cashier, and O. W. Wolf, assistant
cashier.



WILL E. McKEE, President of the Citizens Bank and Trust Com-
pany, Bisbee, and Superintendent of Machinery for the C. & A.
Mining Company, is a mechanical engineer of many years' experience,
having followed this line of work since 1890. Mr. McKee was born
in Indiana in 1866, and educated in the public schools of Illinois and
the University of Illinois, from which he was graduated as mechanical
engineer in 1890. His first position was with the Link-Belt Ma-
chinery Co., Chicago, as draughtsman, and the following year he
went to Springfield and entered the employ of A. L. Ide & Sons, re-
mained there fifteen months and became associated with consulting
engineers in Chicago. His next position was that of Chief Engineer
for a heat and lighting company, Milwaukee, and then for one year
he was obliged to recuperate in Dallas, Texas. He was later em-
ployed by the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Co., of Ishpeming, Mich., as
Master Mechanic from 1898 to 1905, and since the latter year
has been a resident of the Warren District, in his present position.
Mr. McKee is a Republican, and a member of both County and State
Central Committees. While at all times actively interested in
politics, he has never held or sought an office. He is a Mason, being
a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, York
Rite. He has also taken the 32nd degree in Scottish Rite
Masonry. He is also a member of the Mystic Shrine and
of the B. P.' O. E., in the latter having held all subordinate offices,
including Exalted Ruler in Ishpeming Lodge No. 447. He is a
member of the Warren District Country Club. October 18, 1892,
he was married to Miss Isa D. Fisher, in Denver, Colorado. Mrs.
McKee is a prominent member of the Woman's Club of Bisbee and
the Warren District Country Club. They have one daughter.
Lottie, a finished musician and singer, well known throughout the
Warren District.



270



WHO S WHO




C. A. McDonald



IN ARIZONA 271



CHARLES A. McDoNALD, Cashier of the Citizens' Bank and Trust
Company, Bisbee, was born in California in 1876, and spent his early-
life on a farm. He was educated in the public schools, and, having
been graduated from High School, obtained employment in the mines.
He came to Arizona in 1898, and for four years was employed in the
mines about Bisbee, after which he was elected Justice and for
four years was thus employed. He has also served five years as
Recorder of Cochise County, having been elected on the Democratic
ticket. Mr. McDonald was one of the organizers of the Citizens
Bank and Trust Company, and has been one of its directors since its
organization in 1906, but has been Cashier only since December, 1911,
and has proven a highly capable official. He has various other inter-
ests in the vicintiy, and is secretary and director of the Cadena de
Cobre Mining Company, and of the Los Chinos Development Com-
pany. He is also a member of the Board of School Trustees and of
the Board of Education of Bisbee. He is exceedingly popular frater-
nally also, being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Com-
mandery Masons, ard a member of El Zaribah Temple A. A. O. N.
M. S., Phoenix. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and
of the Bisbee Lodge of Elks. Mr. McDonald married Miss Helen
Josephine Nemeck, and to them have been born two daughters, Helen
Bernice and Emilv Artice.



Arizona National Bank

THE ARIZONA NATIONAL BANK, which was original Iv known as
the Santa Cruz Valley Bank, has from the beginning of its
career, several decades ago, enjoyed the confidence of the people of
Tucson and vicinity. The story of this bank is well known in the
community, and its constant and rapid growth, and the steady in-
crease in its patronage and the volume of its business are indisputable
tokens of its safety and prosperity. Its officers are, above all, conser-
vative, and its patrons receive at their hands the most courteous treat-
ment, while accommodations consistent with good business are accord-
ed all clients. The Arizona National Bank is eminently noted for its
solidity and conservatism and is known as the Arizona "Bank of Eng-
land"." It was founded in 1889 by L. M. and B. M. Jacobs and M.
P. Freeman, and then known as The Santa Cruz Valley Bank. After
some years it was reorganized, became a national bank, and assumed
its present name. None of the organizers of The Santa Cruz Valley
Bank are now connected with the management, as Mr. Freeman with-
drew many years ago and the Messrs. Jacobs recently disposed of their
control to the present management. At a meeting held in January,
1913, it was decided to increase the capital stock of the bank to $100,-
000. Its last statement shows the resources to be nearly $700,000,



272



WHO s WHO




Charles F. Solomon



IN ARIZONA



and its aggregate deposits $500,000. The gain in the volume of
business since its reorganization in January last has amounted to more
than fifty per cent. The Arizona National Bank conducts a general
banking business in all its branches, and none in this section is better
prepared for making collections, issuing exchange, or expediting any of
the details of actual banking, but being a national bank, it does not deal
in real estate or accept real estate as collateral. At the last annual meet-
ing Charles F. Solomon, well known in the banking and commercial
life of Graham County, and one of the most conservative business
men in Arizona, was elected President, and Ph. Freudenthal of Solo-
monville,* Arizona, banker, and Mose Drachman, one of Tucson's
leading real estate dealers, Vice Presidents. The other officials are F.
H. Thorpe, cashier; J. H. McClear and Anthony Coenen, assistant
cashiers. The new directorate, besides including the president, vice
presidents and cashier, represents many of the large and important
interests in this and other states, the remaining members of the board
being: D. W. Wickersham, president of the Bank of Safford and of
several other corporations; I. E. Solomon, a pioneer resident of Ari-
zona, president of the Solomon Commercial Company and vice presi-
dent of The Bank of Safford ; E. W. Clayton, cashier of the latter
bank; Dr. H. W. Fenner, a prominent physician and surgeon and
well known financier; Geo. Pusch, pioneer and large cattleman; Fred
Fleishman, pioneer and druggist; Fred Ronstadt, manufacturer
and merchant ; Judge J. H. Campbell, ex-Supreme Justice of
Arizona; B. M. Jacobs, pioneer and banker. These are all men fa-
miliar with the requirements of a strong, healthy bank, and thorough-
ly cognizant of the value of a constant sane and liberal policy, and a
continuation of the careful and efficient management heretofore ac-
corded its patrons is assured them.



CHARLES F. SOLOMON, President of the Arizona National Bank,
one of the oldest and most reliable banks within the State, is also
Secretary and Treasurer of the Solomon Commercial Company,
Solomonville, and Secretary and Treasurer of the Solomon-Wicker-
sham Co., Safford. Mr. Solomon was born in Towanda, Pa., March
7, 1873, but has been practically reared in Arizona, the family having
removed here when he was a small boy. His father, Isidor Elkan
Solomon, was one of the pioneer merchants in the early days of
Solomonville, before the advent of the railroad in that section, is
one of the substantial citizens of the county, and aided materially in
the upbuilding of that portion of the State. Charles F. Solomon
has been prominent in the commercial and banking life of the State
for many years, and was one of the organizers of the Solomon Com-
mercial Company, and the Gila Valley Bank & Trust Co. His
entire time w T as devoted to his banking and commercial interests in
Graham County until January, 1913, when he was elected President



1:74



\V 1 1 O S WHO



of the Arizona National Bank, and he has since been actively interested
in this institution, and has removed his home from Solomonv.ille to
Tucson. In every phase of his career Mr. Solomon has been re-
garded as a man of the most substantial characteristics and the highest
integrity, and the notable increase in the volume of the bank's business
since its reorganization may be attributed largely to his personality
and influence. In the fraternal life of the State he is well known,
being a Mason of the 32nd degree, a member of the Knights of
Pythias and of the B. P. O. E. He was married in 1895 to Miss
Hattie Ferrin, of Tucson, Arizona, and is the father of three sons,
Elkan, Adolph and Ferrin Louis.




F. H. Thorpe

F. H. THORPE, Cashier of The Arizona National Bank, is the son
of George Sylvester and Jane Hubbell Thorpe, and was born in
Hamden, Conn., January 26, 1872. Mr. Thorpe has been connected
with the financial interests of Tucson for many vears, and is one of



IN ARIZONA



the best known and capable banking men in Arizona. For fifteen
years he was associated with the Consolidated National Bank, and
had been promoted to the position of Assistant Cashier, which he
resigned six months ago to accept his present position. Mr. Thorpe
is a member of the Old Pueblo Club and the B. P. O. E., and while
a member of the Democratic party, has never been actively interested
in politics. In 1907 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Robinson
Norton, of Louisville, Ky. They have t\vo daughters, Helen Mary
and Jane Norton.




J. M. McClear

J. M. McCLEAR, Assistant Cashier of The Arizona National
Bank, was born August 26, 1882, in Tolland, Mass. He was edu-
cated in the public schools, and when quite young began to acquire
his knowledge of banking. Before coming to Arizona he was
employed with the State Bank of Commerce, Wallace, Idaho, and
at the time of his resignation was Assistant Cashier. For the past
seven years he has been connected with the Arizona National Bank of
Tucson, and has been in his present position since 1906. Politically
Mr. McClear has always been a progressive, is now associated with
the Progressive party, and though actively interested in politics, has
never been in any political position. He is a well known member of
the Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, Lodge of Elks, No. 109.



WHOS WHO



ANTHONY COENEN, assistant cashier of The Arizona National
Bank, Tucson, was born in Belgium in 1847, and is the son of Hor-
tense Jainin and Adolphus Coenen. Mr. Coenen was educated in the
public schools and the Jesuit College at Brussels. In 1866 Mr.
Coenen \vent to Rome to join the Papal Zouaves, of which he was a
member until the fall of Rome in 1870, and for the two succeeding
years he was a member of the French Zouaves, organized under the
Republic of France. The family removed to this country in 1872.
and located in Kentucky, where he made his home for five years. In
1877 he came to Tucson. He has held a number of positions, having
been Deputy Recorder from 1881 to 1888, City Assessor 1890-1891.
Assistant Postmaster 1894-1895, while Charles DeGroff was in charge
of the office. Since 1895 he has been in the employ of The Arizona
National Bank. He was married in 1883 to Miss Bridget Castro,
and they have eleven children, all of whom are living: Eugene, Clara,
Joseph, Anthony, Jr., Louis, Helen, Imelda, Henry, Mary, Bridget
and Melania.



Willcox Bank and Trust Co.

THE WILLCOX BANK & TRUST COMPANY has for several years
filled the long felt need of a chartered bank for the vicinity of Will-
cox, and was organized by men well known and highly esteemed a?
financiers in that section. It opened its doors for business January
18, 1909, and having men of high standing and breadth of business
experience at its head, is well organized for the work entrusted to
it, and it is a matter of pride and satisfaction to the community to
have so able a financial institution in its midst. The building itself
makes a most pleasing impression, being up to date in appointment.
Its construction was a matter of careful consideration, the space
being utilized in the most artistic manner consistent with conveni-
ence and safety. The vault is an ingenious piece of workmanship.
The cement, while soft, had imbedded in it scrap iron and steel bars,
which produced a burglar proof wall twenty inches thick, the only
opening in which is protected by massive double steel doors manufac-
tured by a well known safe company of Ohio. The vault contains a
3200 pound safe closed by a time lock, which it is impossible to open
until the time for which it has been set has expired. In fact, every
device known has been used to safeguard the interests of the patrons,
and ample insurance is carried against burglary and daylight robbery.
The capital of the Willcox Bank & Trust Company is $25,000, fully
paid up, with a surplus of half that sum, and its success has been con-
tinuous, its deposits and resources showing a constant increase. It is
conducted by experienced men in bank work, the cashier, Horace E.
Dunlap, having had years of experience in the banks of the state.
H. A. Morgan, president, is a man who has sustained a reputation



I \ A R I X O X A

for business integrity during a residence of almost thirty years in the
section. He is also president and general manager of the Norton-
Morgan Commercial Company, one of the most prosperous establish-
ments in the state. Thos. Allaire, vice president, came here from
New York almost thirty years ago, and has since been associated with
the best interests of the community in many lines. The board of di-
rectors is composed of the above named officials and C. M. Roberts,
Senator from Cochise County and well known mining and business
man; William M. Riggs, member of the Cochise County Board of
Supervisors, and A. Y. Smith, mining man, who formerly owned
the controlling interest in the Commonwealth Mine at Pearce.



HENRY A. MORGAN, President of the Willcox Bank & Trust Com-
pany, and President and General Manager of the Norton-Morgan
Commercial Company, has spent the greater part of his life in the far
West. In fact, he is a typical Southwesterner, was born in Colum-
bia, Tuolumne County, California, in 1861. His parents, George
and Margaret Morgan, were natives respectively of England and
Ireland, and were among the very early settlers and appreciators of
California. Their son received all the advantages within their power
to confer in Columbia, and at eighteen years of age was sent to a
business college in San Francisco. His first practical business experi-
ence was gained in 1880, when he secured a position as bookkeeper for
the firm of Norton & Stewart, at Fort Grant, Arizona, and in this
capacity he served until 1890. Shortly before that time the retire-



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 19 of 58)