Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 29 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 29 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at Solomonville, where he remained until 1909. His next position
was as Agent at Tempe, and in January, 1911, he was transferred to
the position of Freight Agent at Phoenix. Mr. Arnold was married
on Christmas, 1896. Mrs. Arnold was born near London, England,
where her family were interested in coal mining for many years.
Immediately upon becoming located in Phoenix they purchased their
present home, deciding to make that city their permanent residence.
They have two children, Harriet Leone and Sarah Jewel. Mr.
Arnold is a member of the K. of P. and Woodmen of America, in the
latter being Consul of Phoenix Camp, and was delegate to the Na-
tional Convention held in Buffalo in June, 1911, and to the special
session held in Chicago, January, 1912.




ROY & TITCOMB (INC.)

Exporters and Jobbers of Machinery, Heavy Hardware and Lumber,

Nogales, Arizona



IN ARIZONA



403




Colonel Fred H. Bowler



404



WHO S WHO



By Robert Berg.

COLONEL FRED H. BOWLER is one of the historic Western men
whose varied career goes to make up the romance of the winning of
the West. Always playing a prominent part in mining and in public
life he has won and lost several fortunes, but through it all has re-
tained that optimism that is characteristic of the sturdy pioneers that
have reclaimed and built the western empire. Col. Bowler was
born in Collinsville, Illinois, April 18, 1859. His father was John
Westley Bowler, who came to Arizona when the Colonel was only
one year old. His mother was Edith Elmira Stanton, the niece of
Edwin S. Stanton, Secretary of War during Lincoln's administration.
In 1873 Colonel Bowler's father moved to California, where he
engaged in the stock business and at one time was a partner of J. B.
Haggin. His son was educated in the schools of California. Young
Fred learned the trade of machinist but soon the fascination of mining
ensnared him and in 1885 he began his career as a miner with the
Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company in Arizona. From
this point he went to Shasta County, California, where he made a
fortune in mining but lost it in the panic of 1893. Undaunted by
this reversal of fortune he again engaged in mining but more as a
scholar, traveling on the European continent, in Washington, British
Columbia, Mexico, South America, South Africa and Siberia. In
every one of these places he studied mining conditions and methods
and upon his return to his native country he studied chemistry, sur-
veying and metallurgy, thus gaining a complete and practical knowl-
edge of mining. In 1905 he went to Nevada and engaged in mining
and engineering projects, among other things building the water
works system in Tonopah and Bullfrog. He subsequently went to
Searchlight and made another fortune w r hich was swept away in the
panic of 1907. From there he went to Nevada again and was placed
in charge of the Tonopah Liberty and later assumed charge of some
mining property in Shasta County, California, as Deputy United
States Marshal. He came to Arizona in 1912, where he assumed
charge of the Calzona Mines. For some years he was in charge of
the Batapilas Mines in Mexico, one of the gigantic projects of that
country. Col. Bowler has also played a prominent part in Western
public life, particularly along the frontier where men of judgment
and courage were needed. In many of the communities where he
resided he was held in such high esteem by his fellowmen that he was
repeatedly made the Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff and Deputy Marshal.
He served two terms in the California Legislature and was tendered
the nomination for member of the assembly in this State, but was
compelled to decline on account of business and personal matters.
Colonel Bowler gained his military title at the battle of San Juan
Hill when he served in the volunteer army.



IN ARIZONA



405




40ti WHO'S \v



BABBITT BROTHERS, General Merchants Thirty years ago, before
the old Atlantic & Pacific Railway joined by its rails of steel, the
elite East with the then frontier West, David and William Babbitt,
with true pioneer spirit, braved the hardships of the almost unknown
Arizona and settling in view of the grand old San Francisco Peaks, at
the point no\v known as Flagstaff, they purchased a small bunch of
cattle and later established a small merchandise business, which has
since grown to the proportions of the largest department store in
Northern Arizona. By fair dealing they quickly won the confidence
of the early settlers, and this reputation firmly established, has been
the basis of their continued success. From a frontier trading post has
grown the present modern department store, which keeping pace with
the trend of modern merchandising, now occupies the space of a city
block, and is equipped with a complete cold storage and electric light-
ing plant, an ice making plant, and several fireproof warehouses.
Recent additions to this business consist of a thoroughly modern pack-
ing plant and fireproof abbatoir, all equipped with the latest improved
machinery. Those by-products which in the early days of range
slaughtering were considered mere waste, are now being manufactured
into fertilizers and other profitable products. A recent departure has
been the construction of a modern, well equipped garage, where high
grade motor cars are on sale. Babbitt Brothers now purchase from
the markets of the East and West all staple goods in carload lots.
From this small beginning has developed a chain of stores, commis-
saries and Indian trading posts, eight in all, doing business all
through northern Arizona, and their influence is to be noted in
almost every town along the Santa Fe. Visitors are invariably
surprised at the choice and varied stock on display in this modern
store, where there may constantly be found on hand the largest as-
sortment of genuine Navajo blankets and silverwork in the southwest.
With three trading posts in the Indian country, and through direct
trading with the Indians, this concern is able to supply the trade in
any quantity, with genuine Indian wares of all kinds. One of the
largest exhibits of ancient pottery, war hammers, and relics of the
ancient tribes is on display and is always an attraction to visitors.
Four of the Babbitt Brothers, David, Charles, George and William,
are now included in this co-partnership. They also own great
stretches of range country and are heavily interested in cattle, horses
and sheep. They all occupy prominent parts in the civic, political and
social life of Arizona, and are particularly interested in the advance-
ment of the education of the youth of Arizona. Always alive to op-
portunities, quick to decide, with keen foresight into the future, their
success has been attained through many trials and severe tests. The
name of Babbitt has long been a factor in the development of Arizona,
and these men have always been foremost in aiding any project that
promised an opportunity for the good of their locality.



IN ARIZONA



407




408 W H O ' S W H O

FRED TUTTLE COLTER, widely known and generally recognized as
one of Arizona's most enterprising and public spirited men, is the son
of James H. G. and Rosa Rudd Colter, and a native of this State,
having been born at Neutrioso, February 2, 1879. Living on one of
the finest and most thoroughly equipped ranches in Arizona, he is
known throughout the State as a stock raiser, and considered an au-
thority on matters pertaining to this business, a reputation which is
truly merited, for Mr. Colter's knowledge of the subject has been a
part of his lifelong education. His father was extensively interested
in cattle raising, and in 1880 moved to Alma, New Mexico, where he
had a large range. This was, however, situated on an Indian trail
leading from the Apache Reservation to Mexico, and the Indians
killed most of the stock ard many of the settlers. In 1883, after a
three days fight in which 27 white men were combatting 300 Indians
led by Geronimo, his father sold out and moved to Newton, Kansas,
where he again engaged in live stock and farming. In 1888 he re-
turned to Arizona, and located at Springerville, which then became
the permanent home of the family. Mr. Colter's tendency toward
independence and unusual energy which have been among his most
marked characteristics in later life asserted themselves when he was
quite a small boy, as at the age of twelve years he started out to work
for himself before and after school hours and during vacation periods
to pay his way through school, and his surplus earnings, even at that
time, were invested in cattle. His public school course having been
completed, in 1899-1900 he took a business course in Pueblo,
Colorado, and this is the only actual lapse in his career as stockman
from early boyhood. Returning to Arizona in 1900, he engaged in
the stoc 1 : business in a larger way, and has since continued to add to
his stock of cattle, horses and sheep, until his business may now be
ranked among the leading ones of Arizona. While gradually increas-
ing the range of his personal business, at this time he accepted a posi-
tion as manager for a cattle outfit owned by Mr. W. H. Phelps, who
had the utmost confidence in his ability and integrity, as he had pre-
viously been employed by Mr. Phelps in a different capacity, and to
him Mr. Colter feels that he is indebted in many ways. In addition
to the live stock business, Mr. Colter is a large dealer in land and a
well known developer of the same. In 1905 he made some invest-
ments in land and commenced reclaiming other land by taking out
ditches and building reservoirs, of which he has built six. He is now
prominently identified with various construction and reservoir com-
pa"ie throughout the State, being Pre-ident of the Colter Construc-
tion Company and of the America^ Valley Reservoir Company, and
Director of the Lyman Re-ervoir Company. He is also President of
the Colter-Tyler Live~toc'r Company. Pesides the demands made on
his time and energy by his business affiliations, Mr. Colter has served
.in. va"iou^ political capac:t;e\ In 1904 he was Democratic nominee



IN ARIZONA



409




Fred Tut tie Colter



410



WHO S W H O



for Supervisor in Apache, a strongly Republican county, and was de-
feated by but 15 votes; while in 1906 he was elected for the long
term, and served as Supervisor until February 14, 1912, when Arizona
became a State. He was elected delegate to the Constitutional Con-
vention and was made Chairman of the Committee on Mode of
Amending Schedule and Miscellaneous. In March, 1912, Governor
Hunt appointed Mr. Colter a member of the State Sanitary Sheep
Commission. He is also a member of the Executive Committee from
Apache County of the Democratic State Central Committee. He
is now serving his second term as Vice President of the Arizona Cattle
Growlers' Association. He is also one of the Committee on Forest
Reserves and Public Grazing of the American National Live Stock
Association, and a long time member of the Elks Lodge, he is at
present one of the Executive Committee of the same. Mr. Colter was
married November 11, 1904, to Miss Duge Phelps, who is well
known and popular in the social life of both Arizona and California.




Benjamin B. Crosby

BENJAMIN B. CROSBY, General Grading Contractor, Cattleman
and Wool Grower, is known throughout the State as a man who has
handled all kinds of contracts during the past twelve years and has
done much work for the Santa Fe Railroad. Mr. Crosby was edu-
cated mainly in the school of experience, and he has taken a post
graduate course. He has one of the finest ranches in the State at



IN ARIZONA



411



Eagar, where his family make their home. He with A. H. Pratt has
some of the finest cattle in Arizona, having shipped in a carload of the
best Durhams obtainable two years ago, which formed the nucleus
of one of the finest herds in the northern part of the state. Mr.
Crosby's two brothers, Jesse C. and George H., Jr., are both attorneys
of large counties, and he declares they attend to the political end
of the business, and despite the urging of his friends has refused po-
litical office at all times, preferring to give his attention to his many
interests.

C. A. CLARK & Co. One of the largest and best known mercan-
tile establishments in Arizona is that of C. A. Clark & Co., General
Outfitters to Men, of Flagstaff. From a small beginning and modest
capital the company has by fair dealing and honest values built up a

trade w 7 hich compares well with

that of the largest in the state.
Both of the members of the firm,
C. A. and John M. Clark, have
had a wide variety of experience in
all lines, and both have large ac-
quaintance among the men promi-
nent in the affairs of Arizona. The
firm not only carries a complete
line, but it is selected with an idea
of pleasing all classes of trade, and
at reasonable prices.

JOHN MILTON CLARK is best
known for the part he took in
quelling tw r o outbreaks at the
Yuma penitentiary while he was
an official of that institution. He
served under five governors and
five superintendents. Mr. Clark's
reputation was such that United
States Marshal Daniels, after his
appointment, selected him as an
office deputy. He has served his
apprenticeship in the saddle as cow
puncher and sheepman, and has
been interested in all other kinds of work. As manager of C. A.
Clark & Co. he has shown his ability as a merchant. While
without political aspirations, he has been prominent in the
affairs of the Republican party, wields a large influence, and
although refusing office, has been chairman of the county cen-
tral committee of the G. O. P. J. M. Clark married Miss
Agnes Martin, daughter of George Martin, of Tucson, who
played a prominent part in the creating of the state out of the prairie




412 WHO'S WHO

wilderness. Mr. Martin was one of the earliest pioneers and was
active in the earliest struggles of the settlers about Yuma., Tucson,
Prescott and other pioneer towns of the state. George Martin helped
to welcome the first governor to Arizona. Mrs. Clark's grandfather,
Stephen Rodondo, was a member of the first territorial legislature of
Arizona.

C. A. CLARK, senior member of the firm, is well known as a
sheepman, and has recently turned the mercantile business over to
his brother while he devotes his time to his flocks. He, like his brother,
is a self-made man, and has had a variety of experience. He started
business as delivery boy and clerk in the employ of Babbitt Bros. An-
other family resemblance is his lack of political aspirations, but he
has through civic pride served a term as member of the city council
of Flagstaff.

That "blood will tell" is proven in the case of the members of
this firm. Their mother, Rosaline, is today one of the best known
fraternal leaders in the state, and has held the highest office in the
Eastern Star lodge of Arizona, and is also prominent as a Rebekah
having been a delegate to the state conventions in both orders. She
is a direct descendant of a well known pioneer family of Maine and
among her direct relatives have been prominent attorneys, jurists and
public men, including Bartlett Tripp, a minister to Europe, who was
appointed by President Cleveland.



OLIVER E. COMSTOCK, Justice of the Peace in Tucson, now serving
his second term in that office, and minister and missionary in the Bap-
tist Church, has had a varied and interesting career, having lived in
several states and followed various occupations. His family have
been in America two hundred years, and his ancestors were promi-
nent in both the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, his- great-grand-uncle
General Comstock, having served in the Revolutionary War. He is
the son of Oliver L. Comstock, a manufacturer of New Albany,
Indiana, and was born in that city December 28, 1854. He first
attended the public schools and then the Southern Baptist Theological
Seminary, at Louisville, where he became a regularly ordained min-
ister, and he was pastor of Furnace Hill Baptist Church at Sheffield
for twenty years. He also learned printing, engaged in the trade for
several years in Kentucky and Alabama, and for a number of years
was publisher of the "Sheffield Reaper," but he sold out his interest in
this business to act as City Clerk, which position he held about two
years prior to his coming to Tucson. In Arizona he was employed as
printer for some time, until he became a member of the Smith-Com-
stock Printing Company, a well known firm in the southern part of
the ?tate, of which he was one of the organizers. He has been a
member of the Typographical Union for more than twenty years, and
always active in anv movement that will tend towards its benefit. He



IN ARIZONA



413




Oliver E. Comstock

is a member of a number of societies, among them being the Masons
in which he has attained the highest degree, also the Odd Fellows,
Sovereign Camp of Woodmen of the World, Redmen and Knights of
Honor, and was one of the original members of the Improved Order
of Heptasophs, only five of whom are living. He has held positions
of the highest honor in all of these societies. Mr. Comstock was
married in Louisville, Ky., his wife having been Miss Jennie F. Mc-
Clelland of that state, and with their family of nine children they have
made their permanent home in Tucson.



THE DOUBLE CIRCLE CATTLE COMPANY, Clifton, of which A.
Drumm is president, E. W. Houx, vice president, and M. L. Mc-
Clure, secretary and treasurer, are the occupants of a ranch which was
located more than thirty years ago when the Indians were very trouble-
some. The first owner of the double circle brand was Joe Hampton,
and later his brother, John Hampton, became a partner in the busi-
ness and continued to handle the double circle cattle until four years
ago, when the Hamptons sold a half interest in the brand to Mr.
Drumm, of Kansas City, Mo., and A. T. Wilson, of Clifton, and the
Double Circle Cattle Company was organized. The Hamptons have
since sold their entire remaining interest to Mr. Drumm. This ranch
has always been noted for the excellent breed of its animals and has
always bought the best white face and Durham bulls. At the present
time the Company has on the ranch about 15,000 head of cattle, and
are now branding about 4,500 calves.



414



W H S W



O




William W. Brookner

WILLIAM W. BROOKNER, of the firm of W. W. Brookner & Co.,
of Globe, was born in Dixon, Illinois, in 1860, where he was educated
in the public schools, received a thoroughly good commercial educa-
tion, and lived until his twentieth year. He received an excellent
home training, early displayed habits of thrift and industry, and his
discerning mind saw in the far west opportunities which did not exist
in Illinois. Rumors which emanated from the silver district of Globe
reached him and in 1881 he came to Arizona, located in Globe and
worked at whatever happened in his way. His chief stock in trade
w r as a firm determination to succeed, and realizing that this, together
with the substantial characteristics of thrift and industry, formed the
sole basis of his fight for success, one is willing to concede that Mr.
Brookner is, indeed, entitled to all the credit which his fellowmen
readily accord him. The well conducted mercantile establishment over
which Mr. Brookner presides, and which under his capable supervis-
ion has developed into one of the best of its kind, was organized in
1899, since when it has experienced a continually increasing prosper-



IN ARIZONA



415



ity. Their stock is well chosen and complete and at all times meets
the varied demands made upon it by the people of that vicinity. Mr.
Brookner is also a member of the firm of Brookner & Neff, San
Carlos. Prior to the incorporation of the Globe store he participated
in the organization of the Old Dominion Commercial Company, and
acted as manager of the same. He has always been a staunch Demo-
crat, and served two terms as Treasurer of Gila County. He has
long been a member of the B. P. O. E. Mr. Brookner was married
in Globe in 1884 to Miss Sarah Glenn, a native of Canada.



WM. L. BURT, though one of the comparatively recent arrivals
in Arizona, has already been recognized as one of the leaders in in-
surance and financial circles of this state. He was born in Owensby,
Ky., thirty years ago. His father is Col. D. H. Burt, one of the noted
_ veterans of the Civil War. His

mother was Miss S. J. Mason.
He married Miss Elsie Miller,
one of the descendants of the
Millers of Arkansas, one of the
oldest and best known families
of the south. Mr. Burt is a
law graduate trom the Univer-
sity of Arkansas and from
Harvard University. After
his graduation he practiced
law in Arkansas and was the
law partner of U. S. Bratton,
one of the leading men of his
state who is now the post-
master in Little Rock, Ark.
Mr. Burt came west four
years ago and entered the
banking business in Los An-
Angeles, organizing the Oil
and Metals Bank and Trust
Company of Los Angeles, dur-
ing the oil excitement. This
institution has become ore of
the important financial organ-
izations of California. He
has since then become more or less identified with the insurance busi-
ness and came to Phoenix, where he organized The Arizona and
New Mexico Underwriters Company, which now represents the
leading insurance companies of the United States. He is now the
Vice President and General Manager of this organization. Mr. Burt




416



W H O S WHO



has been influential in having many thousands of dollars come to this
state for development, and all his projects have become recognized
as organizations that have done everything to safeguard the investors'
interests.

WILLIAM HEAVER WORTHINGTON was born in Cincinnati, Ohio,
in 1878. He is the son of Henry H. an^ Catherine Heaver Worth-
ington. He received his early education in the public schools of Cin-
cinnati, after which he took a course at Leland Stanford University,

taking his diploma
there as mining en-
gineer and metallur-
gist in 1898. Mr.
Worthington is wel
known in the south-
west, especially in
Southern Arizona
and Sonora, Mexico.
His first business as-
sociations were in
California and Mex-
ico, and having es-
tablished a reputa-
tion there, he was
offered a position
with the Calumet
& Arizona Mining
Company in 1903,
w T hich he accepted
and retained for sev-
en years. Two years
ago, however, he op-
ened an engineering
and assaying labora-
tory in the Paul
Building, Douglas,
his present location.

During this time Mr. Worthington has earned a name for integrity
and ability in his line, is considered an authority on copper deposits,
and conducted the examination of a number of valuable properties in
this section. At present he is in charge of the development of several
mines in the Patagonia District for the A. L. Harroun Syndicate, of
Kansas City, the company which developed the El Tigre Mines in
Sonora. Mr. Worthington is a member of the B. P. O. E., and is
always interested in matters of civic importance. He was married in
1905 to Miss Edith Hess, and to the union have been born two
children, Elizabeth and William.




IN ARIZONA



417




Lawrence Oscar Cowan

LAWRENCE OSCAR COWAN, who, as Recorder of the City of Tuc-
son, has won many friends by his courtesy and efficient conduct of the
office, is a native of South Carolina; he was born in Due West, in
1858. His father, Captain John Cowan, was a planter and merchant,
and his grandfather was one of the early settlers of the State. Judge
Cowan was graduated from Erskine College of South Carolina, after
which he studied law in Georgia and was admitted to practice before
the Supreme Court of that State in 1882. The same year he came to
Arizona, settling in Kingman, where he practiced law, owned a cattle
ranch and was interested in mines. In 1887, having been greatly
attracted by the boom in that vicinity he proceeded to San Diego,
but soon returned to Kingman. He was shortly afterwards elected
Probate Judge, w T hich position he held for four years. He has also
served as Clerk of the District Court of Mohave County and Clerk of
the Board of Supervisors. In 1895 he was elected to the office of
County Recorder, and in 1897 was chosen by a handsome majority as
member of the Assembly to represent Mohave County in the 19th
Legislature. He was also elected to the Legislature from Pima



418



WHO S WHO



County, and during his term introduced and was successful in having
passed the well known Cowan Hill, by means of which fees amount-
ing to many thousands of dollars have been added to the treasury of



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 29 of 58)