Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 45 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 45 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Director of the same Company, have exemplified in their careers the
indomitable spirit of the true Westerner who has a fixed purpose in
life. Elgin B. Holt was born September 4, 1873, at Harrison, Ark.,
and Walter E., September 3, 1875, at the same place. Their parents
were Isham R. and Lydia Ryan Holt. Their family consisted of
eight children, Alice, Ernest, May, Isham, Jr., Alfred, Elgin, \Valter
and Valeria, of whom Alfred and Ernest have passed to "that bourne
from which no traveler returns." In 1879 the father took up a
homestead along the San Francisco river, near Alma, New Mexico,
and engaged in cattle raising. They were sixty-five miles from
Silver City, the nearest railroad point, and one hundred and fifty miles
from the county seat. Mr. Holt was an educated and progressive
man, who realized the importance of giving his children an education,
so they were supplied with profitable books, and magazines and news-
papers reached the home regularly. Through the efforts of Mr.
Holt a school w r as established in the neighborhood, and was a rare
innovation in that isolated country. The family prospered and in
1892 the question of better educational facilities for the younger
children presented itself, and in its solution Mr. Holt rented ? farm
at Las Cruces, New Mexico, for two years, and with Mrs. Holt and
the four younger children removed there, in order that they might
attend the New Mexico Agricultural College. This college, not-
withstanding its name, embraced in its curriculum many branches not
pertaining to agriculture. Having completed the regular course,
Elgin and Walter took up the mining engineering course, from which
the former was graduated in 1897 and the latter in 1899. After
Elgin's graduation he and his brother Isham renred their father's
cattle business and conducted it for six years, or until they became
bankrupt through speculating in cattle on the ranges. Elgin then
took a post-graduate course of three months in assaying at the college
from which he had been graduated, for during all these years his
purpose had been to go ultimately into Sonora, Mexico, and explore
its mineral resources. Ernest had become intrested in mining down
there with others, and they owned what was known as the Santo Nino
Copper Mines on the Yaqui River. In 1900 Ernest was killed by a
revolver falling from his cot to the floor and exploding. After his
death the property was turned over to James Goodman of Mistras
Prietas as trustee for the owners. He entered into an agreement
with Colonel W. C. Greene, of Cananea, whereby, for a controlling
interest, the latter was to finance the Santo Nino mines. In 1903 the
Santo Nino proposition collapsed. Ernest Holt discovered this
property. In 1902 Elgin went into Mexico to investigate the condi-
tion of his brother's interests. He contracted coast fever at Guay-
mas, returned to El Paso in the winter of that year, and hunted in
the Sierra Madres for a taxidermist company until spring. In the



630



\V H () S WHO




IN ARIZONA

summer he worked in a custom assay office at Douglas. During 1903
and 1904 he served as Deputy Sheriff of Cochise County. The
following April, while making an arrest, a notorious character, whom
he had testified against in court, shot him in the thigh, intending |to
take his life. After his recovery he went back to New Mexico to
the family home, w T here he recuperated during the following winter.
After Walter's graduation in 1899 he entered the United States Cus-
tom Service as ore sampler at El Paso, Texas. In the spring of 1905
he agreed to furnish Elgin with the money for a prospecting trip into
Sonora, and in June Elgin arrived at Santa Ana, outfitted and pro-
ceeded to the Altar district, where he prospected for two years and
made locations. In 1907 he financed a property through Dr. P. J.
Parker, of San Diego, California, and it became known as the Com-
pania Silver Mine. They shipped one carload of ore from near the
surface, which proved fairly rich, but the panic of 1907 caused the
mine to close down. In 1908 Walter joined his brother and they
opened an assay office at Magdalena, in which they were moderately
successful. In 1910 money was forthcoming to resume operations
at the mine. Elgin took charge and was allowed $75 a month for
expenses, but no salary. The Holt Brothers had turned over all but
10 per cent of the stock to the company. Contrary to the orders of
the San Diego men, none of whom had practical knowledge of mining,
Mr. Holt, upon resumption of work, started a tunnel 100 feet lower
down on the mountain side, through country rock, to get to the ore
body. He had figured that in 250 feet he would strike the main
ledge, and when within 26 feet of that distance his principals wrote
that they would furnish $250, Mexican money, to complete the
tunnel to that point, upon condition that he would relinquish his
claim for personal expenses. He sent in his resignation, gave instruc-
tions to the three Mexican miners to keep at work, and left the mine.
Fifteen days later he concluded to return and see how r the work was
progressing, and had to walk twelve miles, because he had no money.
He managed to subsist on the victuals which the Mexicans shared
with him. Within a few feet of the distance he had figured on,
he struck the vein. The head of the company moved to the mine,
and trouble began in earnest. He insisted that operations should be
conducted according to his orders, against which Mr. Holt protested.
He insisted also on taking out only ore that was uncovered in the
course of further development work, while Mr. Holt wanted to ship
ore from the rich vein already opened up, and use the money in the
vigorous prosecution of exploration w r ork. However, Mr. Holt
shipped a carload of ore taken from a point away from the rich lead,
and it proved unprofitable. The President then compromised by
agreeing that the company would furnish money for further develop-
ment, and that the Superintendent should have absolute control of the
work ; but the next morning the same old story was repeated, orders
emanating from the usual source, and Mr. Holt resigned. The result



WHO'S WHO

was that the mine \vas finally stripped of its rich ore, the money spent
in ill-directed development and the property finally abandoned. The
company had furnished only about $7000 up to the time Mr. Holt
laid bare ore worth from $50,000 to $60,000. Thus Mr. Holt lost
two years of his time from a financial standpoint, but gained an ex-
perience which has since been invaluable to him. He afterwards
bonded two other properties to Boston people, and raised money in
Philadelphia for the development of another mine. One of the
Boston people's mines looked good, and considerable smelting ore was
developed. The Philadelphians did not have time to prove their
property before a series of revolutions began, and work had to be
abandoned on all these propositions. After resigning from the Com-
pania mine superintendency, Mr. Holt returned to Magdalena and
joined his brother in the assay office, and they took advantage of every
opportunity to keep posted on developments in the mining regions of
Sonora. One day Captain J. C. Besley, a well known mining
operator of Hermosillo , dropped into the office, and in the course of
the next few days he and the Holt Brothers, having a strong interest
in common, became quite intimate, and as a result of this intimacy has
developed the most interesting portion of this narrative. The prop-
erty known as the Cerro de Plata mine is located in the Magdalena
district, Sonora, 46 miles from Nogales. It was discovered in 1906
by a Mexican vaquero named Pedro Alvares, whose horse fell while
chasing a steer up a steep hillside. In rising, the hoofs of the horse
broke into the surface of the rocks, and the color of the fractured stone
attracted the attention of the rider, who found, upon examination,
that it was "horn" silver, a rich chloride of that metal. Taking in
tw T o others, Alvares denounced the property and commenced work.
They took out a small shipment of the -ore, which yielded handsome
returns from the smelter, but having only slight knowledge of min-
eralogy, they overlooked some of the richest rock, and threw over the
dump tons and tons of the best ores. The present management had
men working many days with burros, gathering the wasted values,
and realized rich returns from their shipment. Not meeting with
much success in their development, Alvares and his associates bonded
the property to a California company, who did not have much better
results, and abandoned the property and threw up their bond. Soon
afterw r ard the mine was sold through Captain Besley, of Magdalena.
to some Kentucky capitalists for $25,000 gold. The purchasers
formed a Mexican corporation and continued active operations for
some months on the strength of a report made by an expert Kentucky
examiner, who stated that the mine was very valuable and there \vas
great wealth exposed from the very grass roots. The first manager
was inexperienced, and after a few months of unproductive effort
was replaced by another, who showed no better returns for expenses
incurred during several months, and the mine was shut do\vn. An
eminent mining engineer sent to investigate the property during the



I N A R I Z O N A 633

mine's idleness reported that as a commercial proposition the property
was of no value, although he admitted it contained some good ore.
Having lost faith in it, after two years' idleness its owners placed the
mine upon the market and requested Captain Besley to find a pur-
chaser. After his accidental meeting with the Holt boys they made
a careful examination of the property and decided that there was suffi-
cient rich ore in sight to warrant their taking over the property, which
they did through Captain Besley. About October 1, 1911, the les-
sees, who had associated with themselves Mr. O. S. Bovey of Magda-
lena, commenced operations with only the credit of Holt Brothers be-
hind them. Mr. Walter E. Holt, being an experienced miner and
assayer, took charge of the work, and within eighteen days the two
miners employed took out the first carload of ore, which assayed 113
ounces of silver to the ton. The force was slightly increased, and
another and larger carload was extracted, which assayed 110.6 ounces
to the ton. Continued development and investigation disclosed the
peculiar formation which had caused the repeated failures to follow
the ore under former management, and this knowledge has led to the
success attained by the present management. After some time Mr.
Bovey sold his interest to Holt Brothers, who continued work and
met with highly gratifying success. In July, 1912, they made a deal
with Messrs. Roy & Titcomb, Inc., Nogales, to build a mill and
cyanide plant for treatment of the ores, the contracting firm taking
an interest in the enterprise and receiving other valuable considera-
tions. Mine development and ore shipments continued until thirty-
one lots of high grade ore had been shipped, mostly in carloads,
aggregating more than 1400 tons and averaging 117 ounces of silver
to the ton. The mill was started November 5, 1912, and as a result
of the first five weeks' run there were shipped to the Selby Reduction
& Refining Works, near San Francisco, 26,000 ounces of fine silver in
fhe form of bars and precipitates. In one section the ore found assays
as high as 150 ounces to the ton. Indications at present are that the
time is not far distant when, to realize the best results, there will be
necessary an installation which will handle an output of 100 tons of
ore daily. The properties of the Cerro de Plata Mining Company
embrace about 150 acres of ground, and include two denouncements
the Cerro de Plata proper and the Dos Hermanos. Since taking
over these properties under bond and lease in October, 1911, Holt
Brothers have developed the mine, as described, shipped great quan-
tities of high grade ore, erected the mill, which is in successful opera-
tion, and are shipping bullion and precipitates. They have paid the
Kentucky owners the purchase price, and recently all the shares in the
Cerro de Plata Company have been transferred to Holt Brothers, who
have parcelled them among themselves and their associates. The
last annual meeting was held in February, 1913, and the following
were elected directors: Elgin B. Holt, Walter E. Holt, E. Titcomb,
R. W. Balch and W. A. O'Connor. The officers are as follows:



634



WHO S WHO



President, Elgin B. Holt; Vice President, E. Titcomb ; Secretary
and Treasurer, Walter E. Holt. Mr. E. B. Holt is also General
Manager. In conclusion, let it be said that Elgin and Walter Holt
deserve all the success to which they have attained. From Magda-
lena to Nogales there is no man, Mexican or Amercian, but has a
kindly word for them. Their word is considered as good as their
bond, their credit is practically unlimited on either side of the line,
and they are still the hustling, hard working men they were before
Dame Fortune smiled upon them.



RUDOLFO VASQUEZ. Attorney at Law and Mining Broker,
though a native of Mexico, having been born in Hermosillo July 4,
1870, was for years closely identified with the business enterprises,
especially in mining, and with the general prosperity, of the southern

portion of Arizona, and
was representative in No-
gales of the following
companies: La Occi-
dental Cia Minera S. A.,
Copper Era Consolidated
S. A., Gran Consolida-
cion Alining Co., Min-
eral Realm Co., Old
Dominion Mining and
Reduction Co., and of
the latter company was
both President and Attor-
ney. He has never held
a political position, and
never has taken an active
part in politics. Frater-
nally Mr. Vasquez is a
member of Hidalso Ali-
anza and G. O. V. W.
He is the son of Manuel
and Ysabel Velez Esca-
lante Vasquez, both of
whom were born and
reared in Mexico. He
married Miss Laura Ja-
cobs, and to them have

been born the following children: Abelardo, Laura Ysabel, Rosa
and Rudolfo. Mr. Vasquez has recently removed his family and
home to Los Angeles, but still retains heavy interests in the southern
part of Arizona and in Mexico.




IN A R I Z O N A




George Januel

GEORGE JANUEL, of Nogale?, was born at Gaimersheim, Germany,
on April 15, 1879, and is the son of Charles and Anna (Tiefenbock)
Januel. He was educated at Ingelstadt, to which place his parents
moved when he was a lad. George arrived in the United States on
April 29, 1904, went to St. Louis and remained there until Novem-
ber of the same year. He then went to Houston, Texas, but ip
April, 1905, moved to Beaumont, Texas, where he remained for two
years. He next located in Nogales, where he has since resided.
The only near relative Mr. Januel now has living is a brother, who
resides in Mexico. George is Past Chancelor of No. 13, Knights of
Pythias, of Nogales. This young man is of that class of Germans
whom the people of the United States regard as among our most
desirable citizens. No man in Nogales is more highly respected by
his acquaintances than is Mr. Januel. He owns the leading barber
shop in the place, and strict attention to business has brought him
financial success. He gives employment to several people. He has
in his place of business one of the largest collection of antlers in the
State, one of which has never been classified. An intelligent
and much traveled Englishman vainly tried to purchase this curious
specimen of antlered creatures, being anxious to present the head to
the English Museum of Natural History.



636



WHO S WHO



JAMES A. HOWELL, City Clerk and Treasurer of Douglas,
Arizona, is a native of Nevada, having been born in White Pine, in
1872. His father, Amazon C. Howell, was one of the pioneers of
that section, and well known as a cattleman. His mother, Mary A.
Tyler Howell, came from a well known family of Missouri. Before
assuming his present position, Mr. Howell had the benefit of a varied
experience as a cattleman, legislator, banker and merchant. He first
came to Cochise County in 1878, with his parents, who engaged in
the cattle business. Mr. Howell served one term in the Territorial




James A. Howell



Legislature in 1904 and 1905, and then took up banking. He has
served as Assistant Cashier of the First National Bank of Tombstone,
and as Cashier of the Citizens Bank of Benson. The latter was sold
to the Bank of Benson, and Mr. Howell was afterward Manager of
the Turkey Track Cattle Company, at Naco, for some time. He
went to Douglas in 1908 to take the position of Cashier in the Arizona
Bank and Trust Company, which he held for several years and re-
signed to take charge of the San Bernardino Market, of which he
was then owner, but disposed of after being elected to his present
position. He is still interested in the First National Bank of Tomb-
stone and the Arizona Bank and Trust Company, holding a block of
stock in each. He is also interested in the cattle business, being
owner of a ranch and cattle in the Sulphur Springs Valley. He is a



IN ARIZONA



member of the Knights of Pythias and Moose Lodges. In 1904 Mr.
Howell was united in marriage with Miss Frankie J. Todd, of Los
Angeles, California, a descendant of one of the best known families
in the State.

MALCOMB FRASER, Secretary of the Prescott Chamber of Com-
merce, and Immigration Commissioner of Yavapai County, is one of
the best known and most capable publicity men, not only in Arizona,
but in the entire country. Mr. Fraser was born in San Francisco

in the middle seventies, educated in
California, and made his home there
until ten years ago, when he went
to London. During his stay in
England, he was retained for sev-
eral years by the California promo-
tion Committee of San Francisco as
their European agent. His em-
ployment has been principally in
newspaper work, and he has had ten
years' experience in the editorial de-
partments of newspapers in London,
Eng., Omaha, Neb., and San Fran-
cisco. He came to his present posi-
tion in March, 1911, from the copy
desk of the San Francisco "Evening
Bulletin." In the comparatively
short time Mr. Fraser has been Sec-
retary of the Prescott Chamber of
Commerce, the city has received,
through his articles on its resources,
a vast amount of publicity through-
out the United States, and he has
taken a particular pride in vaunting
to "frost-bitten easterners" the advantages of Arizona's marvelous
climate. In the entire County of Yavapai the three principal
industries, mining, stock-raising and agriculture, have received a
decided impetus because of his efforts to foster their development.
The telling power in Mr. Fraser's publicity articles is that while they
depict in a most attractive manner the opportunities offered by the
climate and resources of Prescott, Yavapai County or Arizona in
general, they are sane and sensible, such as must appeal to the person
of sound judgment, and are, therefore, productive of the best results.
And the Chamber of Commerce has, in a most substantial manner,
shown its appreciation of the work done by Mr. Fraser. The recent
visit to Arizona of Sir Gilbert Parker, the noted author and statesman,
has accomplished more than any other one incident of recent years in
giving Arizona world-wide publicity. This visit was the result of
Mr. Fraser's suggestion when, having read that Sir Gilbert Parker




W HO S WHO



was on his way to America in search of health, he telegraphed to him
an invitation to try the recuperative qualities of Arizona's climate, this
invitation having been sent as a greeting on his landing in New York.
It was accepted and the results were most gratifying. Mr. Eraser
is also seriously interested in the good roads movement, was one
of the organizers of the Arizona Good Roads Association when per-
manently organized in 1911, and he has since been its Secretary. He
was married in London in 1906. Mrs. Eraser is a native of Tacoma,
Washington, and is an artist and writer of exceptional ability. At
the age of 17 she was chief of the art staff of the "San Francisco Post,"
and some of her posters made for papers in that city were sold at
exhibitions. She subsequently worked on the "Call" and "Bulletin"
of that city as special interviewer, and in London was writer of
special signed articles. Both she and Mr. Fraser are now thorough
Arizonans, and the latter's statement, "You can't beat Arizona the
world over," should carry some weight, as he is in position to make
comparison with various sections.



THOMAS HENRY BATE, one of Arizona's leading photographers,
and owner of the Bate Photo Craft Shop, was born at Storm Lake,

Iowa, October 16, 1880. He
is the son of Thomas Henry
and Laura E. Lemm Bate.
Mr. Bate began business on
his own account in Califor-
nia in 1897, but after two
years removed to Arizona
and located in Prescott,
where his studio now is.
Throughout that entire sec-
tion his work is well known.
In competitions at Terri-
torial and State Fairs, Mr.
Bate has been awarded six-
teen first prizes, twelve sec-
ond and one special prize,
and has ever met with the
heartiest commendation of
his patrons. Mr. Bate is a
member of the Knights of
Pythias, Grand Lodge of
Arizona. He married Miss
Florence M. Marks, and to
their union have been born
three boys, Thomas Henry,

Jr., William and Claude. Mr. Bate is at present in Chicago, and
for a time associated with one of the finest studios in the countrv.




IN ARIZONA



639



HARRY J. KARNS is the son of Samuel D. and May B. Karns, and
was born in Jamestown, N. Y., May 17, 1880. Their three other
sons, Charles D., Robert H. and William Elliott, are all residents
of Santa Cruz County. The story of Harry Karns' life, if written

in detail, would be
reple'.e with pathos,
tragedy and romance ;
the visitation of a ter-
rible accident befallen
a bright and ambitious
young man, disfiguring
him for life, nearly
causing the loss of his
sight, and even his life;
the fidelity of Miss
Mollie I. Nash, who
refused to be released
from her engagement
to marry him, but
helped nurse him back
to health ; the loss of
his every dollar, and
the building up of a
modest fortune in a
few years by one so
handicapped. The fam-
ily moved to Kansas
when Harry was but
one year old, and in
1888 they moved to
Denver, where they
made their home until
1892, and removed to
Pittsburgh. In the lat-
ter city Harry attend-
ed school until 1897, then engaged in the oil business in West Virginia
with his father. In 1899 he went to Wellsville, Ohio, and after
two week? a flowing well caught fire and he was enveloped in the
flames. He was burned almost beyond recognition, was hurried to
his home in Pittsburgh, and for weeks hovered between life and death.
As a result of this accidert he was confined to bed for six months, and
for one year was unable to perform any work. When able, he was
taken to the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia,
where a partially successful operation was performed on his eyes. On
December 21, 1900, Mr. Karns and Miss Nash were married, and
two beautiful children have blessed their union. In March, 190; ,
Mr. Karns secured employment with the Pipe Line Division of the




640



WHO S WHO



Standard Oil Company at Cygnet, Ohio, and in 1903 resigned to
accept a position in Chicago with the Cudahys as leaser of ground,
but before the expiration of a year removed to Kentucky, where he
operated and contracted for himself in the oil fields until 1906. He
then went to Goldfield, Nevada, where he met with a fair degree of
success, and in 1907 located in Nogales. With R. H. McCray he
built the Myra mill, twenty miles from Nogales, on the Mexican
side, for the purpose of working 50,000 tons of ore on the dumps,
and because the mill was not ready on the day stipulated, suit was
instituted against them. Under a peculiar interpretation of the Mex-
ican laws, they lost the suit, of which the judge informed them prior
to the handing down of his decision. He added that the plaintiff
would pay all costs, including fees of defendants' counsel, if they
would agree not to appeal the case, and being without funds, defend-
ants accepted the offer. Having nothing left but an old two-
cylinder automobile, Mr. Karns put this in public service, and this
formed the nucleus about which was formed the present business of
Karns Brothers, contractors, dealers in automobiles and accessories,
and specialists in machinery and petroleum products. The most
important contract yet undertaken by the firm was the water plant for



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 45 of 58)