eBooksRead.com books search new books
Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 48 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 48 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
torium for throat and lung diseases, and many are the cures effected in
its climate. Located in the suburbs, and combining the conveniences
of the city with the advantages of the country, easy of access and sup-
plied with abundant facilities for outdoor life and recreation, "SAINT
MARY'S" has for more than thirty years been a refuge for patients
suffering from those diseases.

The grounds comprise about sixty acres, the portion adjacent to the
buildings being tastefully laid out with flowers and shrubs, lawns and
driveways bordered with palms and pepper trees. The remaining
portion comprises the hospital farm and dairy. Within the grounds
are the hospital proper and the sanitorium. The hospital proper
contains the following departments : Private rooms and wards for
medical and surgical cases; the Southern Pacific Railroad department:
a recently constructed wing containing the sterilizing, anaesthesizing,
operating and dressing rooms, and a well equipped pharmacy. The
operating rooms are complete and thoroughly up to date, the general
equipment of glass, nickel, and white enameled iron furniture, electric
and steam sterilizers, making it all that the most exacting surgeon could
demand. The sanitorium, erected in 1900, is a short distance to the
right. It is unique in structure, being a perfect rotunda two stories
high and having an open court fifty feet in diameter enclosing a gar-
den. All rooms open directly on spacious verandas, and are pro-
vided with double doors and large windows, which allow free access
of air and sunshine, so essential to the treatment of tuberculosis.
There are also tent houses and sleeping porches for rhose who prefer
them. Each department is under the personal supervision of a
Sister, and only graduate nurses are employed, as there is no training
school in connection with the hospital. All buildings are heated by
steam, lighted by electricity and provided with electric callbells and



WHO'S WHO

telephone service. One of the most important factors in the treatment
of tuberculosis is nourishing food, and realizing this, special attention
is given to the matter, while regulations for the preservation of clean-
liness and the avoidance of infection of any kind are rigorously en-
forced, and the whole air is that of a home rather than a hospital.



GEORGE M. BROCKWAY, M. D., who has recently engaged in part-
nership with Dr. Win Wylie, Phoenix, is well known in Arizona, as
he has been practicing in Florence for the past twenty years. Dr.
Brockway was born in Lyme, Conn., in 1864, educated in the public
schools and at Amherst College, and then entered the Medical De-
partment of the University of Buffalo. Having been graduated from
the latter institution with the class of 1890, for one year he served
as interne at the Buffalo General Hospital. He then came west, lo-
cated for a time in Southern California, but soon removed to Ari-
zona. For nineteen years he was in charge of the County Hospital,
Florence, and was for same length of time Final County health officer
and was Mayor of Florence for two terms. He is a member of the
American Medical Association and of the Arizona Medical Asso-
ciation, and in the latter has held some of the highest offices. He
has also been examiner for many of the largest insurance companies
in the country. Dr. Brockway was married November 8, 1892, to
Miss Esther A. Kelly, of Providence, R. I. They have one son,
Marshall F.



ROBERT N. LOONEY, M. D., State Superintendent of Health, was
born in Tennessee, July 6, 1870. His parents came to Tennessee
from Virginia, their ancestors being the early settlers of that state.
Dr. Looney's schooling was first obtained in the public schools of the
State of Tennessee and later he attended the U. S. Grant University,
Athens, Tennessee. After leaving college he taught two years in the
public schools of Texas. In 1893 he entered the Medical Department
of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, and was graduated
in 1898 with high honors. In the same year he came to Arizona, lo-
cating at McCabe, Yavapai County, where he practiced for six years.
In 1904 he took a post-graduate course in medicine in the Polyclynic
Hospital of New York, after which he moved to Prescott, Arizona,
where he has since been engaged in the practice of medicine. Dr.
Looney has always taken an active part in local politics and was elect
ed Councilman by the Democratic Party in 1903 to represent his
county in the Twenty-Third Legislature. In March, 1912, he was
appointed by Governor Hunt to his position of State Superintendent
of Health. In 1900 he was married to Miss Martha Gertrude
Mayer, whose father, Joseph Mayer was founder of the town which
bears his name.



IN ARIZONA



671




Dr. Robert N. Looney



G72



WHO S WHO



DR. MARK A. RODGERS was born in the city of Pittsburg, Penn-
sylvania, February 5, 1866, and, having graduated from the high
school, he entered the Medical Department of the University of
Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1890.
Soon after he began practicing in his native city, and for more than
a year was Resident Physician of Allegheny General Hospital. Later
he was Chief Chemical Assistant, and Assistant to Dr. R. S. Strom-




Dr. Mark A. Rodgers



berg Sutton, gynecologist of the Hospital of Pittsburg, holding the
latter position two years. He came to Tucson in June of 1895,
and has since made his home in Arizona. He was the founder of
the Mark A. Rodgers hospital, of w T hich he was in active charge until
a few months ago, w^hen he left for an extended vacation. Dr.
Rodgers was married to Miss Lucy Morton, at Tucson, during the
spring of 1913. Miss Morton had been a resident of Tucson for
several years, and is well known and prominent in leading social
circles of the citv.



IN ARIZONA



673




Dr. John Adolph Lentz



< ; ~ 4 \V H O ' S WHO

JOHN Ai.'Oi.i'H Li-N'TZ. retiring president, State Board of Dental
Examiners of Arizona, was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, April 20,
1875. Here he was reared and received his early education, having
been graduated from the Ann Arbor High School in 1892. He then
attended the Un : -*~rsity of Michigan and was graduated from the
Law Department m 1894, but never devoted any time to the practice
of this profession, as he immediately became enrolled as a student of
dentistry at the same school, from which course he was graduated in
1896. That he has made no mistake in the choice of profession is
evidenced by the high standard which his work has attained, and the
reputation for excellence which it has earned w r herever known. Dr.
Lentz began the practice of dentistry in St. Paul, Minnesota, where
he remained for three years. He came to Arizona in 1899 and set-
tled in Phoenix, which is still his home. During his residence in this
State he has always been closely identified with all matters pertaining
to the advancement of his profession, and in addition to his present
position on the State Board of Examiners he is a member of the Ari-
zona Dental Society, of which he was first President, of the Phoenix
Dental Society, the National Dental Association and the National
Association of Dental Examiners. On January 4, 1912, Dr. Lentz
was married to Miss Harriet Irene Morris.



J. DELANEY HOLCOMBE, D. D. S., whose headquarters are at
Globe, is a member of the State Board of Dental Examiners. Dr.
Holcombe was born near Junction City, Kansas, February 11, 1881,
and is the son of Herbert H. and Lucile Delaney Holcombe. His
father was engaged in farming in Kansas for some years, but when Dr.
Holcombe was quite young the family removed to California. There
he attended the public schools and Throop Polytechnic Institute of
Pasadena, in the latter having taken an academic course. He studied
dentistry at the University of Southern California, and was grad-
uated in the class of 1904. During his college course he took a
prominent part in the life of the University, was interested in the
various societies and college papers and an officer in his class. He
was admitted to practice in California, but removed to Arizona the
same year, located at Globe and gradually built up a most satisfactory
practice. In March, 1909, Dr. Holcombe was appointed member of
the State Examining Board by Governor Kibbey, and has since served
in this capacity. He is also a prominent member of the State Dental
Association, and in every way actively interested in the work of his
profession. He is prominent in York and Scottish Rite Masonry,
and a member of the Mystic Shrine. On February 16, 1910, Dr.
Holcombe was married in Globe to Mrs. Florence B. Tarters. They
have one of the most beautiful residences in the city of Globe, built
under the supervision of himself and Mrs. Holcombe.



N ARIZONA



675




Dr. J. Delaney Holcombe



67G



WHO S WHO




Dr. W. P. Sims



W. P. SIMS, one of Cochise County's delegation in the First State
Senate of Arizona, is one of the best known dentists of the State, and
has made his home in Bisbee for the past eight years. There he has
built up a large practice and has become prominently identified with
the interests of the city and county. Dr. Sims is a member of the
State Board of Dental Examiners, on which he has served during the
past five years, and two years has served as Chairman of the Board.
Dr. Sims is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Nashville in 1874.
His father, James Sims, was Major during the Civil War, and served
under General Forest. He was educated in his native city, studied
dentistry in Vanderbilt University, from which he took his degree.
He then practiced in Nashville until 1905. During that time he was
elected Treasurer of the Tennessee Dental Society and President
of the Nashville Dental Society. In 1904 he was sent as a delegate
to the Fourth International Dental Congress at St. Louis, of which



IN ARIZONA



677



he was State Chairman. Dr. Sims is Chairman of the Corporation
Committee and member of the following committees in addition:
Code, Enrolling and Engrossing, Finance, Municipal Corporations,
Printing and Clerks, Education and Public Institutions. He is a
member of the Masonic Order and Past Master of Cumberland
Lodge No. 8, of Nashville. Mrs. Sims, who prior to her marriage in
1899 was Miss Mary Freeman, is a musician of ability, and one of the
best known singers of the State, one of the socially prominent w T omen
of Bisbee, and a leading member of the Women's Club. They have
one son, William. In order that he might give more time to his
personal ffairs, he recently requested that he be relieved from his
duties as member of the State Board of Dental Examiners, and his
resignation has been accepted. At the close of the last session of the
Legislature he returned to Bisbee and resumed his practice.




Leon Barker Gary

LEON BARKER CARV, D. D. S., Douglas, was born in Bingham-
ton, New York, in 1883, was graduated from Binghamton High
School and Mercersburg Preparatory School, then entered the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, to study dentistry. He com-
pleted the dental course and was graduated in 1905, and immediately



678



WHO S WHO



located in Lestershire, New York, to practice his profession. In
little more than a year, however, he removed to Arizona, and located
permanently in Douglas. Dr. Gary has a suite of offices in the First
National Bank Building, and his constantly increasing patronage and
the entire satisfaction voiced by his many patrons seem ample com-
mendation of the quality of his work and assurance of his continued
success in the practice of his profession there. He is well known
throughout the State in the profession, is a member of the Board of
Censors of the Arizona State Dental Society and of the National
Dental Association. He is also a director of the Douglas Y. M. C.
A., and member of the B. P. O. E. No. 955 and of the Douglas
Country Club. Dr. Gary was married July 22, 1908, to Miss Ruth
Tauver Dunlap, whose father, C. J. Dunlap, was a pioneer in both
California and Arizona, and one of the early gold seekers in the
former State. Dr. and Mrs. Gary have two most interesting sons,
Douglas Vaughan, aged four, and Clinton Barber, aged two.



EDWARD SETTLE GODFREY, JR., M. D., who served as Superin-
tendent of Public Health under the last Territorial administration, is
one of the most reliable and most highly esteemed physicians of Phoe-
nix. Dr. Godfrey was born August 16, 1878, at Yates, N. D., and
is the son of Edw T ard Settle and Mary Pocock Godfrey. His parents
are both natives of Ohio, and his father is now General in the United
States Army. Dr. Godfrey attended the public schools and then Lake
Forest Academy, and took his medical course in the University of
Virginia, from which he was graduated in 1900. During part of the
year 1899 he w r as assistant in the Out-Patient Surgical Department of
Jefferson Medical College Hospital, Philadelphia, and for the two
years immediately succeeding his graduation w r as interne at the Ger-
mantown Hospital. Philadelphia. February 1, 1903, he came to Ari-
zona. In November of that year he joined the medical staff of the
Copper Queen Mining Company, and later engaged in private prac-
tice in that city. In 1908 he removed to Tucson, and the following
year to Phoenix, where he has since lived. In 1908 Governor Kibbey
appointed him Superintendent of Public Health, and he served in that
position until March 1, 1912, since when he has engaged entirely in
private practice. Dr. Godfrey's thorough preparation for the practice
of medicine and his intense interest in his work have aided him in
achieving unusual success and in deserving, although one of the young-
er men in the profession, a place among the leaders. He is a charter
member of the Cochise County Medical Society, of which he was
secretary for two years ; of the Arizona Medical Society, of which he
was vice president in 1909, and the same year delegate to the Ameri-
can Medical Association. He is also a member of the American Pub-
lic Health Association and the International Congress of Hygiene and



IN ARIZONA



679



Demography. He initiated the movement which resulted in the Vital
Statistics Law of the State and as Territorial Registrar organized
this bureau. As State Health Officer Dr. Godfrey made a strong
fight on all questionable medicines and so-called "cures, and started
the movement which drove several of the promoters of these alleged
curealls from Arizona and he helped frame the measure which keeps
them out. During 1912 he was appointed medical referee for Ari-
zon for the Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York, and
physician to the schools of Phoenix. Politically Dr. Godfrey is an
independent, being a believer in Single Tax, Free Trade and the




Edward Settle Godfrey

principles of fundamental democracy, and in favor of the candidate
who comes nearest advocating these principles, and while not active
in political matters, is much interested in civic and state advancement.
He was appointed one of the Committee of 30 to devise charter, and
or Board of Freeholders. He was married in 1911 to Miss Alma D.
McDonald, and they have one little son, Edward Settle Godfrey, 3rd.



680



WHO S WHO




Dr. William A. Baker



IN ARIZONA 681

WILLIAM A. BAKER, D. D. S., President of the State Board of
Dental Examiners, has been a member of the Board for the past seven
years, and has served as its Secretary and Treasurer. Dr. Baker was
born June 8, 1880, in Merced Falls, California, where his father, W.
N. Baker, was a prominent merchant. His mother, who w T as Miss
Elizabeth Willis, died when he was three years old. A year later his
father married Mrs. Clara A. Clark, who has been more than a mother
to him, and to her he gives credit for his success. Dr. Baker was
educated and studied dentistry in California, having attended Modesto
Grammar School, the University of Southern California, and the
University of California, at Berkeley. From the latter he received
the degree D. D. S. in 1903, and in 1912 took a post-graduate course
in his profession at the University of Pennsylvania. Immediately
after his graduation from the University of California, he began prac-
ticing in Los Angeles, but before the close of the year, removed to
Arizona, and opening an office in Williams, for the following four
years he remained there, having established a very satisfactory prac-
tice. He then came to Tucson, where he has been located since 1908.
His work in both places has proven highly satisfactory, and in South-
ern Arizona Dr. Baker is rated one of the leaders in his profession,
his work being of a grade that is unsurpassed, the recent course at the
U. of P. having put him in touch with everything the most modern
in dental surgery appliances and methods, and placed him far beyond
the average in skill in his profession in this section. Dr. Baker is a
notably hard worker, and especially thorough in matters of detail.
While a student at the University of California he was otherwise oc-
cupied, and by this means met all expenses of the dental course. He
L; a member of the National Association of Dental Examiners, and
Vice President of the Arizona Dental Society. He is a Republican,
and member of the B. P. O. E. and of the Native Sons of California.



MORRIS C. HIGH, police judge of Bisbee, was born in Berks Coun-
ty, Pa., March 31, 1860, and is the son of David E. and Angelina
Cleaver High. He was educated principally in the public schools of
Nebraska, where the family removed when he was but eleven years
old. In 1880 he went to California, and worked for the Pacific
Coast Steamship Company at San Diego, and later engaged in livery
business there. He came to Arizona in 1894 and settled in Bisbee,
where he took up smelter work for the Copper Queen Company, and
was afterward employed by them as hoisting engineer, until five
years ago when he was elected to his present office. During his first
term he won such an enviable reputation by the manner in w r hich he
dispensed justice that he was the only man considered for the office
for the ensuing term. Judge High is a Republican in politics. He is
a well known member of the Moose and Royal Arcanum. He was
married May 12, 1890, to Miss Margaret Treanor. Mrs. High is
prominently known in social matters in Bisbee.



\V H () S WHO



L. I). RICK.ETTS, consulting mining engineer for a majority of the
mining companies in Arizona, and several in Mexico, who makes his
headquarters at Cananea, Mexico was born at Elkton, Maryland, De-
cember 19, 1859, the son of Palmer C. and Elizabeth Getty Ricketts.
He is a brother of Professor Palmer C. Ricketts, President of Rensse-
laer Polytechnic Institute. Dr. Ricketts was graduated from the
College of New Jersey, in the class of 1881, with the degree of Bache-
lor of Science. He was chosen a Fellow in Chemistry and W. S.
Ward Fellow in Economic Geology at Princeton University immedi-
ately following his gradua-
tion and after two years of
study was given the degree of
Doctor of Science ( in
course). Following this Dr.
Ricketts worked in Colorado
as Mine Surveyor, and for
the fifteen years following
was chiefly occupied in recon-
naissance and geological work
and mine examination. From
1887 to 1890 he was geolo-
gist for Wyoming and then
transferred his operations to
the Southwest, where he has
since been steadily engaged in
large mining projects. He
was identified with the ac-
quisition of the property now
owned by the Moctezuma
Copper Co., at Nacozari,
Mexico, from 1899 to 1901,
served as general manager of

the property and during his administration the concentrator and reduc-
tion works were completed and the mines put on a dividend-paying
basis. While Dr. Ricketts has had extensive experience in mine ex-
amination and management, identified with most of the large and pros-
perous mines of the Southwest, his most important work has, un-
doubtedly, been in the construction of large modern smeking and con-
centrating plants. All of the plants erected by him have been success-
ful and have brought about great decrease in the cost of handling the
ores. He designed his first large concentrators in 1897, when he in-
stalled one each for the Detroit Copper Mining Co., and the Mocte-
zuma Copper Co. In 1901, Dr. Ricketts w r ent to Globe to undertake
the construction of a surface plant and the reopening of the mines of
the Old Dominion Copper Mining and Smelting Co. He took this
property when it was almost wrecked, and under his administration
it was put on a sound, producing basis. In 1903 he was appointed




IN ARIZONA



683



Consulting Engineer to the Cananea Consolidated Copper Co., took
absolute charge of the design and construction of their new concen-
trator and upon its completion went to Europe, combining pleasure
with business, and spent a great deal of time in the investigation of
modern engineering practice. Returning to the United States in
1905, Dr. Ricketts, utilizing the knowledge gained in Europe, con-
structed a large coal washing plant for the Dawson Fuel Company,
at Dawson, New Mexico, which has a washing capacity of two hun-
dred tons per hour. Its construction throughout represents the high-
est type of modern development, and belt conveyors are largely used in
handling the materials. The various plants constructed by Dr. Ricketts
are noted for the excellence of design and material and the sum total
of their cost represents many millions of dollars. In 1907 he became
President and General Manager of the Cananea Consolidated Copper
Co., and during his administration the works of the company, with the
exception of the concentrators, have been completely overhauled and
rebuilt, and placed upon a profitable basis. He devotes the greater
part of his time to the direction of the company's affairs, but in addi-
tion to this, he has been in demand by most of the large mining inter-
ests of the section as Consulting Engineer. For some years Dr.
Ricketts acted in an advisory capacity to the great Phelps Dodge in-
terests. He was chosen Consulting Engineer for the Calumet &
Arizona Copper Co. in 1911, advising it in the design and construc-
tion of the great smelting plant recently completed at Douglas. The
same year he accepted the post of Consulting Engineer with the Ari-
zona Copper Co., Ltd., and immediately took charge of the construc-
tion of a smelting plant which the company has just completed. He
also re-designed and enlarged the company's concentrators at Clifton.
Another interest which Dr. Ricketts serves in this capacity is the
International Smelting & Refining Co. He is the author of "The
Ores of Leadville and Their Modes of Occurrence," "Geological
Reports of the Geologist of Wyoming," and various papers for techni-
cal societies and periodicals. His paper entitled "Experiments in Re-
verbatory Practice at Cananea, Mexico," secured for him the Gold
Medal of the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy of Great Britain
for the year 1910. Dr. Ricketts is extremely active in affairs of the
Southwest and is interested in various financial and development pro-
jects. Among these are the Morenci Water Co., of which he is Presi-
dent and Director ; the Gila Valley Bank & Trust Company, of which
he is Vice President and Director; he is also director of the Bank of
Bisbee, and the Raritan Copper Works. Dr. Ricketts is a member of
the Board of Regents of the University of Arizona, and member of
the American Society of Engineers, American Institute of Mining
Engineers, American Association for the Advancement of Science,
and the Institution of Mining and Metallurgy of Great Britain. He
is a member of various clubs, among them the Engineers' Club and
the Railroad Club, both of New York.



VV HO S WHO IX A R I /, O X A



685



MARCUS AURELIUS SMITH, United States Senator from Arizona,
served many years as Territorial Delegate in Congress, during
which he accomplished much for the good of the Territory, although
allowed no vote, and through his efforts appropriations for various
important improvements have been granted Arizona. Mr. Smith
is a native of Cynthiana, Kentucky, where he w r as educated and
was graduated from the Transylvania University, Lexington. He
studied law and was admitted to practice in Kentucky, but removed
to Arizona in 1881. Being a descendant of an old Southern family,
he was a supporter of the Democratic party, and soon began to be in-
terested in political affairs in Arizona. The year following his arrival
he was elected prosecuting attorney of Cochise County, and in this



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 48 of 58)
Using the text of ebook Who's who in Arizona .. by Jo Conners active link like:
read the ebook Who's who in Arizona .. is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014