Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 49 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 49 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

position the energy with which he prosecuted lawbreakers had a
gratifying effect in bringing about a more desirable condition, and his
record in office was such that in 1886 he was elected Delegate to Con-
gress. Having served four terms, he refused the nomination in 1895,
but at the next election w y as a candidate and was elected the two suc-
ceeding terms. In all he served sixteen years as Delegate from the
Territory, and through his influence various acts of much benefit to
Arizona were passed by Congress, and he was instrumental in procur-
ing numerous federal appropriations for public buildings, irrigation
projects and other improvements. Senator Smith was one of the first
to advocate the reclamation of arid lands by the government, and
aided in drafting the Reclamation Act. He was also one of the
original advocates of single Statehood for Arizona, and for the con-
summation of this purpose fought earnestly for more than twenty
years. Senator Smith was a powerful influence in drafting the State
Constitution, in which many of his ideas were incorporated, and
having accomplished so much for the best interests of Arizona during
Territorial days, with the coming of Statehood, as a reward for his
long service in behalf of his constituents, he was chosen to his present
position to be one of the first Senators from the State of Arizona. As
Senator, he has continued his work in behalf of Arizona and is the
father of various measures in the interests of the State. Mr. Smith's
home is at Tucson, where he engages in the practice of his profession
when not devoting his attention to affairs of State, and is a member of
the Old Pueblo Club, Masonic Order and Elks.



HEXRY F. ASHURST, United States Senator from Arizona, who
drew the long term at the first State election, was elected without an
opposition vote. He is a native of Nevada, and a typical westerner,
and has lived since early youth in Arizona. When he had barely
attained his majority he was elected to the 20th Legislature, and
chosen Speaker of the House, and was counted a fair and capable offi-
cial and an excellent parliamentarian. He was sponsor of the bill
which gave the Normal School to Flagstaff, and was especially active
in behalf of laws beneficial to labor interests. By profession Mr.



WHO S WHO IN ARIZONA



687



Ashurst is a lawyer, and has made a specialty of criminal law, but his
occupations have been varied, and he has had training in practically all
the industrial pursuits, and is as well versed on general conditions in
Arizona as any man in the State. Senator Ashurst was admitted to
practice by the Supreme Court of Arizona in 1897, and by the Su-
preme Court of the United States in 1908, having meantime entered
the Law Department of the University of Michigan, where he took
special lectures in law and political economy. In 1902 he was elected
to the Territorial Council of Arizona, in 1904 was elected District
Attorney of Coconino County, and two years later re-elected. After
the expiration of the latter term he engaged in private practice, and
\vas employed in various important litigations. He was one of the
most earnest workers for Statehood for Arizona, and active in the cam-
paign for the progressive Constitution under which Statehood was
granted. He was elected from Coconino County, and despite the fact
that he is one of the youngest men ever elected to the United States
Senate, he has been a hard worker, and has w r on the sincere approval
of his constituents. Senator Ashurst has labored during his entire
career for the advancement of measures for the development of Ari-
zona and its resources, and has given special attention to the matter of
having lands set apart for the upbuilding of the public school system.
He has also been a staunch advocate of laws for industrial improve-
ment or the benefit of the working classes, his policy being the develop-
ment of the citizen first, and property next. Since taking his seat in
the United States Senate Senator Ashurst has continued his fight for
progressive legislation, and as a member of various important commit-
tees, his work has been very effective. He was a prominent figure in
the campaign of 1912, in behalf of Wood row Wilson. As a public
speaker Senator Ashurst has acquired a wide reputation, as he is
rated among the most powerful orators of the country, and his excep-
tional gift in this respect has won for him tremendous popularity both
in Arizona and in his capacity as the State's representative in the
Upper House of Congress. Senator Ashurst was married in 1904 to
Miss Elizabeth L. Reno, of Flagstaff.



CARL HAYDEX, first Congressman from the State of Arizona, is a
native of the State, having been born at Tempe, Maricopa County,
October 22, 1877. His father, Charles Trumbull Hayden, was rear-
ed and educated in Connecticut, and was recognized as a striking ex-
ample of New England's best citizenship, who arrived in Arizona
about the time of the close of the Civil War, and was known as the
founder of Tempe, and his mother was Sallie Calvert Davis, origin-
ally of Arkansas. Carl Hayden was educated in the public schools of
Tempe, Tempe Normal and Leland Stanford Junior University, and
from the latter was graduated with honors. For a time he was en-
gaged in business with his father as manager of the firm of C. T.
Hayden Company, in which capacity he displayed the same sound



W H O ' S \V H O IX A R I 7 O X A 689

business judgment as characterized the methods of the firm. Coming
from a long line of progressive Democrats, Congressman Hayden is an
advanced type of this school, hut by no means a radical, and being
possessed of many of the substantial and enduring traits of his father,
a strong and genial personality and propensity for making friends,
early in life he became an important factor in Maricopa County poli-
tics. His first political office was treasurer of the county, to which he
was elected by an overwhelming majority. In 1904 he was elected
delegate to the National Convention, and in 1906 sheriff of Maricopa
County, to which office he was re-elected and served until Arizona
became a State. In December, 1911, he was elected to the Sixty-
second Congress by a large majority, and in November, 1912, when
re-elected Congressman, received the highest vote polled in the State.
Congressman Hayden was for a number of years associated with the
National Guard of Arizona and at the time of his resignation held
the rank of Major. He was an ardent and energetic worker in the
organization, and its present high state of efficiency is in a large
measure the result of his efforts. Mrs. Hayden, who was formerly
Miss Nan Downing, is, like her husband, a graduate of Stanford,
having taken an A. B. degree there in 1903. Their Arizona home at
the present time is in Phoenix.



JOHN JOSEPH BIRDNO, recently appointed by President Wilson Re-
ceiver of the United States Land Office, with headquarters at Phoenix,
is best known for the results he accomplished as Chairman of the
State Democratic Central Committee during the first State compaign,
when every candidate on the ticket was elected. During the entire
campaign his paper, The Graham Guardian, advocated the prin-
ciples of Democracy. He had the endorsement of the entire Democ-
lacy for the position, and was the only man seriously considered for
the place. Mr. Birdno was born in Logan, Utah, April 10, 1868.
He is the son of N. W. and Mary Farrell Birdno. Mr. Birdno, who
i> one of the most persistent workers for the development of Arizona's
resources, attended public school in Utah, but at the age of eight
years went into a print shop and has since remained in the business,
by means of which while supporting himself, he acquired his
education and by the time he was eighteen had qualified as a school
teacher. He removed to Arizona in 1884. At the time of his arrival
the Apache Indians were on the warpath and during the next few
years committed some of their worst crimes. Mr. Birdno taught
school for several years in Arizona, but in 1895 established 'The
Graham Guardian," now the leading newspaper of that section,
through whose columns he has argued incessantly for the upbuilding
of the great Gila Valley. A man of force and foresight, his editorials
have been an important factor in promoting the interests of the Valley.
Mr. Birdno has been prominent in political affairs since he reached his
majority and has taken a leading part for the Democratic party in



690



WHO S WHO




John Joseph Birdno

every campaign, state or local. He was appointed assessor of Graham
County and served in that capacity for ten years. In 1905 he in-
creased the assessments on mining properties several million dollars
and through his efforts the burden of taxation on the people was re-
duced fifty per cent. Governor Kibbey declared in his next report to
the Secretary of the Interior that Mr. Birdno was the only Assessor
in the Territory who was doing his duty. Upon him as Chairman of
the State Executive Committee devolved the necessity of directing the
party in the first State election, the result of which was one of the
most complete victories in the history of State politics. He is Presi-
dent of the Gila Valley Fair Association, and Director of the Bank of
Safford and the Graham County Chamber of Commerce, and one of
the leaders in development of the Gila Valley. On December 27,
1889, Mr. Birdno was married to Miss Ella May Johnson at Thatch-
er, Arizona, and to them have been born three daughters, Mildred
May, Blanche Elizabeth and Mary Lorraine.



IN ARIZONA 691

CHARLES L. CUMMINGS., President of the First National Bank of
Tombstone, was born in Oxford, New York, in 1855, was educated
and passed the first twenty-five years of his life in his native State.
In 1880 he located in Tombstone and for the next four years was
employed by the Tombstone Mill & Mine Company, and for almost
four years succeeding this he was foreman of the water works at
Charleston. For a year he was engaged in the meat business in
Bisbee, but having lost everything by fire, he returned to Tombstone
and took up the burden of life under rather discouraging conditions,
but bravely overcame difficulties and was soon engaged in business
there on his own account. He became largely interested in stock-
raising and bought a half interest in a ranch in the Sulphur Springs
Valley. Later he acquired valuable mining interests in the Swiss-
helm mountains, and both these enterprises proved satisfying sources
of revenue. He subsequently became owner of the Tombstone
Pharmacy, on of the finest business holdings in the city during its
most flourishing days, and of varied interests in Tucson and Cali-
fornia. Mr. Cummings has been a life-long Republican, and has
been identified with all the important undertakings of the party. In
1894 he was elected by a large majority to the lower house of the
Legislature, and during his term made a notable record for service.
He was Chairman of the Stock Committee, member of several others,
and was especially active in preventing the passage of the bill dividing
Cochise County, a measure which was bitterly fought at this session.
He was also largely instrumental in preventing the passage of a
measure whose only purpose was to thrust directly upon the working-
man and other consumers the cost of cattle inspection, and had the
gratification of seeing his efforts rewarded by the placing of this cost
in the proper channels. In 1896 he was his party's candidate for
County Treasurer, and in 1898 was again nominated for the Assem-
bly, but was defeated with the party. He served one term as
Treasurer of Tombstone. Mr. Cummings is known over the entire
State as a man whose word is as good as his bond, and his wide inter-
ests give him a knowledge of general conditions w r hich is most valu-
able. Many of his friends have urged him to seek further honors un-
der the new state and thus round out his career, but he has refused to
become a candidate for office. As president of the First National Bank
Mr. Cummings has a recognized position in the State, this being one
of the small but exceedingly strong banks of Arizona. Its capital
stock is $25,000, surplus and undivided profits almost $24,000, while
its total resources are $236,000. T. R. Brandt, Cashier, has been
with the institution for many years, and among its Board of Directors
are some of the old reliable citizens and business men of Cochise
County. In addition to Mr. Cummings, the Board includes John
Slaughter, well known pioneer and cattleman, William Cowan and
August Baron, well known mining men of Tombstone.



WHO S WHO




Epes Randolph



IN ARIZONA 693

EPES RANDOLPH, President of the Arizona Eastern R. R. Co. and
the Southern Pacific R. R. Co. of Mexico, was born in Lunenburg;
County, Virginia. His parents were also natives of Virginia, his
father, William Eston Randolph, having been born in Clarke Coun-
ty, and his mother, Sarah Lavinia Epes, in Lunenburg County.
Since 1876 Mr. Randolph has been almost continuously engaged in
railroad work in some of its phases. From that year until 1885 he
was in continuous service, during this time having served about half
a dozen companies, the principal ones of which w r ere the Alabama
Great Southern, the Chesapeake, Ohio & Southwestern, and the
Kentucky Central. His field of operation during this time was in
Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Texas and Old
Mexico, and his work was location, construction and maintenance.
He served as assistant, locating, resident and division engineer. In
1885 he was appointed chief engineer of the Kentucky Central R. R.,
with headquarters at Covington, Ky., and at the same time was
chief engineer of the Cincinnati Elevated Railway, Transfer &
Bridge Co., both of which were Huntington properties. With the
latter company his work consisted of the construction of a double
track railway, highway and footway bridge across the Ohio River,
and connecting the town of Covington with Cincinnati, while on the
Kentucky Central he was in charge of the maintenance, construction
and reconstruction work. Early in the year 1890, the Kentucky
Central having been sold to the Louisville & Nashville and the bridge
completed, Mr. Randolph was transferred to Lexington, as chief
engineer and superintendent of the Newport News & Mississippi
Valley Co., the Ohio & Big Sandy R. R. Co. and the Kentucky & S.
Atlantic R. R. Co., which position he held until 1891, and was then
transferred to Louisville as chief engineer and general superintendent
of the Chesapeake, Ohio & Southwestern and the Ohio Valley Compa-
nies, which were also Huntington properties. In 1894 he resigned
this position owing to ill health, and spent a year in the west doing
no work at all, except giving professional advice to companies which
he was serving as consulting engineer, a general practice in this line
having been built up by him during the previous ten years, in which
his clients consisted of railway companies and municipalities. This
work was mainly bridge construction foundation and superstructure,
and in this capacity he supervised the construction of the bridge
across the Ohio connecting Louisville with Jeffersonville, Ind., which
was built by a local company known as the East End Improvement
Co., and was sold upon completion to the Chesapeake & Ohio and
the Big Eour Companies. In 1895 he was made superintendent for
the Southern Pacific, in charge of its lines in Arizona and New
Mexico, and his headquarters were in Tucson. After six years in this
position he removed to Los Angeles to accept one as vice president
and general manager of the Los Angeles Ry. Co. and the Pacific
Electric Ry. Co., where for three years he remained locating, build-



WHO'S WHO

ing and operating some 700 miles of electric line. Returning to
Tucson in the fall of 1904 he became president of the Gila Vallev,
Globe & Northern Ry. Co. and the Maricopa, Phoenix & Salt River
Valley R. R. Co. in Arizona and the Cananea, Yaqui River & Pa-
cific R. R. Co. in Mexico, all of which were Harriman properties.
In 1909, the latter having been absorbed by the S. P. of Mexico, Mr.
Randolph was elected vice president and general manager of the
company; and in February, 1910, the other two roads with which he
was associated having been merged into the Arizona Eastern R. R.
Co., he was elected to similar position in the new company, and the
following year he was elected president of both companies. In addi-
tion to his duties as president of these two companies, he is
president of the California Development Co., a large irrigation pro-
ject operating in the Colorado Desert in the State of California, and
in Lower California in the Republic of Mexico. The company now
irrigates some 250,000 acres of land and when the project is com-
pleted will irrigate 600,000 acres. The handling of this enterprise
involved the closing of a crevasse and turning the waters of the Colo-
rado River back into the original channel after the same had flowed
into Salton Sink for some two years and created a lake 50 miles in
length by 15 miles in width, maximum depth 100 feet. The Colo-
rado River at the point of the crevasse is 120 feet above sea level,
and the bottom of Salton basin 285 feet below sea level. Mr. Ran-
dolph was married in January, 1886, to Miss Eleanor Taylor, of
Winchester, Kentucky.



MAJOR CHARLES HINE, one of the best known railway executives
in America, is also among the youngest, having been born on March
15, 1867, at Vienna, Virginia, in which suburb of Washington, D. C.,
he still retains a residence. He spent his boyhood on a farm, gradu-
ated, 1885, from the Washington, D. C., High School, and entered
the employ of a contractor. In a competitive examination at Alex-
andria, Virginia, he won a cadetship and w r as graduated, 1891, from
the United States Military Academy, West Point, standing in the
middle of his class, but being first in tactics and in discipline. Grad-
uated from the Cincinnati Law School and admitted to bar 1893.
while serving as Lieutenant, United States Army. As cadet and as
officer acted as inspector-instructor at various encampments of State
militia. Resigned his commission as Lieutenant, 1895, and began
railway work as freight brakeman, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago &
St. Louis Railway (Big Four Route), with which company he re-
mained for four years in various capacities, to include that of train-
master of the Cincinnati-Indianapolis district. He has since been
employed by numerous railways and other corporations. In the
course of the career he has worked as brakeman, switchman, yard-
master, emergency conductor, chief clerk, train master, assistant su-
perintendent, right-of-way agent, general superintendent, and as vice



IN ARIZONA



695




Major Charles Hine



690



WHO S WHO



president and general manager, besides holding various unique staff
positions while doing special staff work of different kinds. In 1907-
1908 he was receiver of the Washington, Arlington & Falls Church
(electric) Railway. Major Hine has made reports on divers features
of several small railways and of the following larger ones: Chicago
& Alton ; Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific; St. Louis & San Francisco;
Chicago & Eastern Illinois; Chicago, Burlington Si Quincy; Erie;
Intercolonial (of Canada); Prince Edward Island; Delaware &
Hudson ; Georgia & Florida ; and National Railways of Mexico.
From July, 1908, to December, 1911, as organization expert of the
Union Pacific System Southern Pacific Company (Harriman Lines)
he originated and installed thereon a unit system of organization,
known in the railway world as "the Hine system." Major Hine,
under his full name, Charles DeLano Hine, is a magazine and edi-
torial writer, and in Virginia a farmer and real estate dealer. Author
of "Letters from an Old Railway Official to His Son," first series
1904, second series 1911; the Railway Age Gazette, New York.
He served in the siege of Santiago de Cuba, Spanish-American War,
1898, as Major, United States Volunteers. In 1900 he was inspector
of safety appliances for the Interstate Commerce Commission.
While with Gunn, Richards & Co., 1907, assisted in revision of
business methods, Department of Interior, Washington. As tem-
porary special representative of President Taft, 1910, outlined a pro-
gram for improving organization and methods of all executive depart-
ments of the United States government. Major Hine is a bachelor
and a member of the Army and Navy Clubs, Washington and New
York ; of the American Club in the City of Mexico, and of the Old
Pueblo Club, Tucson, Arizona, where he has been located since Jan-
uary, 1912, as Vice President and General Manager of the Southern
Pacific Railroad of Mexico (West Coast Route), and of the Arizona
Eastern Railroad, both included in the Harriman system.



L. H. MAXNIXG, Tucson's most enterprising and public spirited
citizen, has for almost thirty years materially aided in furthering
every important project for the advancement of that city. Mr.
Manning was born in Halifax County, N. C., May 18, 1864, and is
the son of Honorable Van H. and Mary Wallace Manning. His
father served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and at
its close was Colonel of the Third Arkansas Regiment. The Man-
ning family for several generations lived in Mississippi, and for ten
years after the close of the war Colonel Manning represented the
Second Mississippi Congressional district in the lower house of Con-
gress. He was also an attorney of great prominence in the state. L.
H. Manning completed his education at the University of Missis-
sippi, and in 1884 came to Arizona and located in Tucson. On his
arrival he took up newspaper work, and served as reporter on both
the "Citizen" and the "Star." For two years he was general man-



IN ARIZONA



697




L. H. Manning



\V H O S WHO



atrer of the Ice <Sc Electric Company. Later he entered upon a
career of mining and engaged in the handling of real estate. His
mining operations comprise holdings in several districts in Arizona
and extend into old Mexico, and in both places he has conducted
heavy operations. During President Cleveland's first administra-
tion Mr. Manning was chief of the Mineral Department in the
office of the United States Survey, and in 1893, at the beginning of
President Cleveland's second term, he was appointed Surveyor-Gen-
eral of the same office, which position he held for four years, then
resigned owing to the demands of his personal business. For some
time he devoted the greater part of his attention to the opening of
mines in Sonora, Mexico. In 1900 he purchased the general mer-
chandise business of the old Tucson firm of Norton & Drake, which
was re-organized and has since been known as the L. H. Manning
Company, of which he is president and manager. He has also in-
vested heavily in real estate and is one of the largest property holders
in Tucson. In 1905 he was elected Mayor of Tucson by an over-
whelming majority on what was known as an anti-gambling ticket.
Immediately after he assumed the office of Mayor there began in the
city a crusade against open gambling, for while the laws of the terri-
tory at the time did not prohibit gambling, the cities were endowed
with such powers as enabled them to pass ordinances on the subject,
and the ordinances regulating gambling which were passed in Tuc-
son during the administration of Mayor Manning and rigidly en-
forced were so drastic that the gambling horses could not carry the
load and were compelled to get out of business. When the next ter-
ritorial legislature convened it passed laws making it easier for cities
to elevate their standard in this respect and other towns followed the
precedent established in Tucson during Mayor Manning's adminis-
tration two years previously, which had resulted in such eminent sat-
isfaction to all the better element. Some years ago he assumed con-
trol of the old street car company, then using horse cars, and of the
gas and electric company, re-organized both and turned them over to
a syndicate which installed electric power for the street car system,
and later sold both to the present owners. The Santa Rita Hotel,
the most modern and best building of its kind in the southwest, is
also a product of Mr. Manning's foresight and enterprise. In 1904,
in connection w T ith Mr. Epes Randolph, president of the A. E. R. R.
Co., and Mr. C. M. Shannon, of the Shannon Copper Company, he



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 49 of 58)