Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 54 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 54 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


office. Mr. Welker married Miss Louise Peel, of Utah, in 1886,
and they have five children, Chloe Mrs. Eugene Evans of Safford
Willard J., Lawrence, Ruby and Steven.



I. E. SOLOMON, prominent for many years in the business life of
Arizona, was born in Germany in 1844, and in that country was edu-
cated and learned the mercantile business. When but sixteen years
of age, in company with his eldest sister, he landed in New York, and

from there proceeded to
Bradford County, Penn-
sylvania, where he secured
employment with his
uncle for several years.
He then engaged in liv-
ery 7 , staging, etc., on his
own account in Towanda,
in which he continued un-
til 1876. He next went
to New Mexico, intend-
ing to make that his fu-
ture home, but seeing
greater possibilities in
Arizona's future, in the
summer of the same year
he settled on the site of
the present town of Solo-
monville and located forty
acres. The vicinity then
boasted of but half a
dozen white families, but
Mr. Solomon opened a
store, which, for a few
years, was necessarily con-
ducted in rather a crude
way, but which gradually
improved with conditions, and was doing a flourishing business in
course of time. About 1878 the town of Solomonville was named
in honor of Mr. Solomon, to whom is largely due the credit of form-
ing the settlement and building up the town. In 1880 the postoffice
was established, he was appointed postmaster, and for sixteen con-
secutive years he held that position. Governor Fremont appointed
him Treasurer of Graham County for one term, and sc general was




IX ARIZONA 759

the satisfaction that was felt at the conduct of his office that before
the expiration of the term he was elected to the position and served
in all four years. Mr. Solomon was also engaged in sheep raising
on a large scale, and during his early years in the Territory, being
near the Apache Reservation, had some thrilling experiences with the
Indians. On one occasion a number of the sheep herders in his
employ were murdered by Indians, one man having been tied to a
tree and stoned to death, the remaining ones shot, and about five
hundred sheep killed. He has also had some startling experiences
in traveling, when attacked by Indians and road agents, but has
always been especially fortunate. Mr. Solomon has ever been active,
industrious and progressive, and has large holdings of land in and
about Solomonville. He is interested in irrigation projects, in
addition to his mercantile interests in various corporations and his
interests in banking institutions in different sections. No man who
has ever lived in Arizona has done more for the general good and
development of the State, and especially for his own county, than
I. E. Solomon. In politics he is Republican, but has never sought
office. On the contrary, he has resolutely declined some very flatter-
ing propositions by the leaders of the party in Graham County. In
1872 Mr. Solomon returned to Germany and there was married to
Miss Anna Freudenthal. Their oldest son, Charles Solomon, is
President of the Arizona National Bank, Tucson, and one of the
leading financiers and business men of the State, while Mr. I. E. Solo-
mon is a member of the Board of Directors of this institution.



PH. FREUDENTHAL, Vice President of The Arizona National
Bank, and General Manager of the Solomon Commercial Company,
which he helped to organize in 1900, was born July 22, 1854, in
Hohensalza, Province of Posen, Germany, and is the son of Louis and
Rosalia Wolff Freudenthal. He left his home when quite a young
boy and came to this country, first locating in New York with his
uncle. Being ambitious and capable, however, he remained there but
a short time, then started for the West, and arrived in Las Cruces,
N. M., in May, 1869. He secured employment there with the firm
of Lesinsky & Co., then the largest mercantile establishment in the
West, soon became one of their trusted employees, and made that his
home for a number of years. He was later placed in charge of the
company's business at Clifton, Arizona, where they bought and
developed mines afterward sold to a Scottish syndicate, now known
as the Arizona Copper Company. He also held an interest in the
firm's business in El Paso, which had been established about that
time. When Lesinsky & Co. sold all their holdings in the West,
Mr. Freudenthal engaged in business for himself in Las Cruces, for
he had grown to love the West and had intimately identified himself
w r ith its interests. He was one of the pioneers of New Mexico, and
did much to aid in the development of its wonderful resources. For



760



W H O S WHO



a number of years he served as Treasurer of Dona Ana County, New
Mexico. In 1900 Mr. Freudenthal moved to Solomonville, Ari-
zona, which has since been his home, and in Graham County, as
previously, he has been associated with matters of progress and
success, being one of the organizers of the Gila Valley Bank & Trust
Co., his interests having been mainly in that county until his recent
affiliation with The Arizona National Bank of Tucson. For years




Ph. Fr udenthal



he has been a Director of the Bank of Safford. Mr. Freudenthal is
a very active worker in the Republican party, and in 1912 was one of
Arizona's six delegates to the National Republican Convention,
Chicago. He is considered the head of the Freudenthal family in
this country, whose interests he has looked after more carefully than
his personal ones, being a man of strong character and high integrity.
Mr. Freudenthal was married in 1896 to Miss Amalia Lewy of New
York City. They have two sons, Louis and Bernard.



[ N ARIZONA



(61



JOSEPH W. SMITH, cashier of the Bank of Northern Arizona, is
the eldest son of Jesse N. Smith, a prominent citizen and leading
"Mormon" pioneer in Southern Utah and Northern Arizona, who
was a member of the Assembly in the 19th Legislature. Mr. Smith

was born in Minersville,
Utah, September 6, 1859,
and his early life was spent
in Parowan, Utah, where he
worked on his father's farm
in the summer time, and aft-
er hauling wood for his tui-
tion, attended the district
school for about three
months during the winter.
In 1879 he married Miss
Nellie Marsden and immedi-
ately removed to Arizona, lo-
cating in Snow-flake, where he
still resides. He commenced
life as a farmer, and by close
application to study became a
school teacher, which profes-
sion he followed successfully
for twelve years, from 1888
to 1902. He had the gov-
ernment contract for carrying
the mail from Holbrook to
Fort Apache, and spent two
years as salesman in a gen-
eral store. This institution

owes its existence mainly to his efforts and substantial support. He
has also held the office of Justice of the Peace, Notary Public, and
some minor offices, and although prominent in the councils of the Re-
publican party, has never sought office for the sake of the spoils. Mr.
Smith has ever been a friend to good schools and good roads, and
every business venture looking to the well being and uplift of the com-
munity has found in him a strong supporter. For many years he has
been a director in the Arizona Cooperative Mercantile Institution,
the leading organization of its kind in Navajo and Apache counties,
and he is at present its secretary. He has also been much help to his
neighbors in the matter of land titles, and his judgment is considered
very sound on both financial and social questions. In addition, Mr.
Smith has given much time to the religious side of life. He is a mem-
ber of the "Mormon" Church, is religious and devoted to his faith.
He has for a number of years served as Stake Superintendent of the
Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, has held several oth-




762



\V HO S WHO



ei responsible church positions, and spent two years traveling in Eng-
land and Ireland as a missionary. He has a large family, two of
whom, his eldest daughter and eldest son, are graduates of Flagstaff
Normal School, where the third child is now finishing the course.



The Citizens Bank of Thatcher

THE CITIZENS BANK OF THATCHER, in Graham County, was
promoted and organized by its present Cashier, Le Roi C. Snow,
formerly of Salt Lake City, Utah. The bank opened its doors May
16th, 1^10, with a capital of $12,000. It now has a paid-in capital
of $17,500, surplus of $8,000 and undivided profits of nearly $3,000.
This is a remarkable growth in three years time. The loans are
$65,000, deposits $90,000, total resources about $1 10,000, and reserve
of cash and exchange nearly $35,000. The officers of the bank are:
Frank Tyler, President; H. J. Anderson, Vice President, and Le Roi
C. Snow, Cashier. These, with E. W. Layton, J. M. Allred, John
W. Mattice and W. A. Lines are the directors. These people are
among the strongest business leaders in the Gila Valley, and together
with the business and growth of the bank make it one of the strongest
of the smaller institutions in the State. The Citizens Bank recently
opened a branch office in the Lines Brothers' mercantile store in Pima,
which is doing a nice business. The bank has a beautiful two-story
cement brick building in Thatcher, which is a credit to the valley.



LE Roi C. SNOW, Cashier of the Citizens Bank of Thatcher, was
born in Brigham City, Utah, August 26, 1876, and is a direct descend-
ant of the Puritans, one of his forefathers having come to Massachu-
setts the year of the arrival of the Mayflower, and several having
been prominent in the Revolution. Mr. Snow's mother, Minnie
Jensen Snow, was especially active in the interests of women, and was
delegate from Utah to many national and international gatherings,
in all of which she took a prominent part. His father was Lorenzo
Snow, late President of the Mormon Church. Through his unusual
financial acumen, President Snow reorganized the affairs of his
Church and established a system which put it on a sound financial
basis, and in every way was one of the ablest and heartiest workers
the Church has known. In the business world also he was recog-
nized as a power and financial leader, having served as President of
nearly a score of the strongest corporations in Utah. Le Roi C.
Snow prepared for a business life while very young, having at the
age of eighteen taken the gold medal in shorthand and typewriting
in the Salt Lake Business College. His regular education was com-



IN ARIZONA



763




LeRoi C. Snow



\V H()'S W H O

pleted at the Latter Day Saints College and State University, Utah,
and he served three years as librarian at the Temple, Salt Lake City.
In his nineteenth year he was sent on a mission for his church, on
which he spent nearly three years in Germany, and had attained to the
position of President of the Dresden Conference when he was honor-
ably released. Before returning to this country he spent almost an
entire year studying and traveling through Great Britain and many
of the continental countries. On his return from Europe Mr. Snow
became private secretary to his honored father, and Church Tithing
Clerk, which positions he held until President Snow's death. He was
then elected instructor in German and French in the L. D. S. Uni-
versity, Utah, and had charge of the night school of the L. D. S. Busi-
ness College. Mr. Sno\v is a member of the General Board of the
Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association, which has a mem-
bership of nearly 50,000 throughout the world. In 1900 he suggested
to the General Board that a bureau of information be established for
tourists visiting Salt Lake City. Mr. Snow T was appointed Chairman
of a committee, including Apostles Rudgar Clawson and Reed Smoot,
now United States Senator. As a result, the present Bureau of
Information within the Temple grounds in Salt Lake was established,
and there thousands of tourists are entertained yearly and receive
such courteous treatment and reliable information that their visit is
never forgotten. Mr. Snow spent two years in the Zion Savings Bank
& Trust Company, one of the largest banks in Utah, and since sever-
ing his connection with that institution, has been in business for
himself. His first independent venture was as automobile dealer,
one of the pioneers in the business in the State, and for several years
he did an extensive business in this line, but in 1908, immediately
following his mother's death, he came to Arizona and for one year
was engaged in the sheep business in the northern part of the State.
He then removed to Thatcher, soon became identified prominently
with its best interests in every particular, and was the leading spirit
in the promotion and organization of the Citizens Bank, having fur-
nished one-half the original capital, and since its opening served as
Cashier. The balance of the capital was furnished by some of the
most prominent people in the Gila Valley, who are among its officers
and directors. As a location for the bank, Mr. Snow secured the
most prominent corner in Thatcher, on which was erected, under his
supervision, a beautiful bank building, which would do credit to a
much larger city. In the few years it has been in operation, The
Citizens Bank has had a remarkable growth in both strength and
profits, and being the first bank organized in the immediate vicinity
of Thatcher, has been of particular value to the business of the dis-
trict, its liberal, though sound, business policies having been directed
mainly by Mr. Snow r in his present capacity. In 1912 Mr. Snow
married a charming Thatcher girl. Few young ladies in the Gila
Vallev have more friends than Mrs. Snow.



I X A R I Z O X A 765

FRANK N. TYLER, President of the Citizens Bank of Thatcher,
and Bishop of Thatcher Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter Day Saints, is a native of Utah, and was born in Washington,
Washington County, August 26, 1860. There, too, he was edu-
cated and lived until he was twenty-two years of age, when he married
Miss Mary Adelia Pace, and immediately left for Arizona to take up
their permanent home. Mr. and Mrs. Tyler made the trip with a
small party overland, and during the six weeks they were on the
way they came in contact with severe Indian troubles. They
crossed the Colorado at Pierce's Ferry, proceeded through the Salt
River Valley to the Gila Valley, and located at Thatcher, which at
that time was unnamed and nothing resembling a town had yet been
formed there, only three families living on the present site of the
town of Thatcher. They are, therefore, the true pioneers of that
section, and for more than thirty years have watched and aided its
development, have nobly borne the privations of frontier life, for
many years met and coped with attacks of Indians and cattle thieves,
and through it all have displayed the patience, persistence and power
of endurance so necessary to the pioneer. The first work of Mr.
Tyler in the new home was to clear the land he had taken up, in order
that he might engage in farming, which was his sole occupation until
1893, when conditions made it seem practicable, and he opened a
small general store. This was a success from the beginning, and
formed a nucleus for the "Big 6," which was organized in 1901,
and is now the largest mercantile establishment in Thatcher. With
his natural enterprise, Mr. Tyler has since been prominent in the
promoting and building up several other large organizations, among
which are The Nevada Flour Mills, Mt. Graham Lumber Com-
pany, and The Citizens Bank of Thatcher, of which he is President.
Each of these has proved not only a financial success, but has merited
the highest esteem of the public in all its dealings. In laboring for
the interest of his church, too, Bishop Tyler has been most active, as
he filled a mission in the Southern States, principally in Georgia and
Florida, after which he returned to his home town. In June, 1909,
he w r as appointed Bishop of the Thatcher Ward, in which capacity
he presides over about 1,200 souls, and is truly a father to his people,
who dearly love him for his integrity, devotion to their interests,
and clean, honorable character, the attributes which have contributed
so largely to his material success in Arizona.



HAKAN J. AXDERSOX, Vice President of the Citizens Bank of
Thatcher, was born in Denmark, September 4th, 1858. When four
years old his parents came to America and located in Millard County,
Utah, where Mr. Anderson lived until he was thirty years old. He
married in Utah. Before leaving that State he was interested in
farming and the sheep business. In 1888 Mr. Anderson came to
Arizona, and after living in Solomonville one year moved to Pima,



766



WHO S WHO








1

B



I N A R I Z O N A 767

where he homesteaded and made his permanent home. For eight
years previous to the building of the railroad through the Gila
Valley Mr. Anderson ran a large freight outfit between Willcox and
Globe, and since that time he has devoted his time to farming and
dairying, having started and owned dairies in Clifton, Morenci and
Globe ; he still owns two dairies in Globe. Mr. Anderson owns
nearly six hundred acres of the finest farm land in the Gila Valley,
is President of the Union Extension Canal company and officer or
director in s-everal other canal companies. Mr. Anderson's clean,
honorable life has won the respect of all who know him. In selecting
this gentleman as its Vice President, the Citizens Bank has one of the
strongest and most influential men in the entire community.



The Bank of Arizona

THE BANK OF ARIZONA, Prescott, is the pioneer banking house of
Arizona, having been organized in 1877 by Messrs. Lewis and Kales,
San Francisco capitalists, and has ever been conducted in a most
sound and conservative manner. It has also taken an active part in
the promotion of the leading industries of the section. The author-
ized capital of the Bank of Arizona is $100,000, and its original
paid-up capital $25,000, which has since been increased to $50,000.
Its total resources amount to more than $1,500,000, deposits $1,100,-
000, and its surplus and undivided profits about $210,000. In addi-
tion to the regular banking business, this house issues commercial
letters of credit available in all parts of the world, and buys and sells
foreign exchange. To Prescott and vicinity this bank has been of
inestimable value. The course pursued by its management has
inspired confidence and furnished useful lessons, its policy having been
to protect first its depositors, then its shareholders, and to aid in a
liberal yet conservative way the business of the surrounding territory.
The business of the institution is conducted in its own building, a
massive two-story one of ornamental brick and Arizona tufa and
granite, the entire lower floor of which is used for banking purposes.
Its equipment includes all modern devices, for both safety and con-
venience, known to bankers, while its officers and directors are recog-
nized financiers of ability. The President, Judge E. W. Wells,
has been identified closely with every prominent movement in Arizona
for years; the Vice President, M. B. Hazeltine, directed the policy
of this bank for many years as Cashier before being chosen for his
present position ; the Cashier, C. A. Peter, has also been in the
employ of the bank for many years, and is one of its Directors; and
William H. Doyle is Assistant Cashier. The Board of Directors
consists of Messrs. Wells, Hazeltine, Peter, and W. E. Hazeltine, of
San Jose, California, and Mrs. Hugo Richards, wife of Hugo Rich-
ards, who was President of the Bank of Arizona many years, until the



768



WHO'S WHO




Hugo Richards



IN ARIZONA 769

time of his death. This bank, having practically made Prescott the
important distributing center it is today, and merited the heartiest
endorsement of the public, seems assured of an abundantly successful
future.



HUGO RICHARDS, a prominent citizen of Arizona for many years,
and one of her leading pioneers in financial and industrial affairs,
was born in St. Louis November 6, 1838. His father, Hugh Rich-
ards, was a native of Wales, who came to this country early in the
nineteenth century and settled in St. Louis in the year 1820. His
mother was Alary Venderberg, a native of Indiana. In St. Louis
the young Hugo was reared and educated, and there began his business
career while still a boy, by becoming a bookkeeper in a wholesale
grocery store, but seized with the spirit of the day to go West, he went
to Denver, Colorado, in 1860, where he was the special agent of the
Ben Holliday Stage & Express Company, plying between that city
and Missouri River points, before the Union Pacific Railroad was
built. In 1863 he moved to Virginia City, Montana, where he was
engaged in mining for a year or so, but returned to Denver in about
1865. In 1868 he went to California, and was with the Wells-
Fargo Express Company in San Francisco, remaining on the coast for
several years. In 1872 Mr. Richards came to Prescott and immedi-
ately engaged in business with George Bowers, in assuming charge of
the post trader's store at Camp Verde. Later, he was tendered a
similar business at Fort Whipple, and again, in 1875, with Louis B.
St. James as a partner, he opened a post trader's store at Camp
Apache. In the meantime, Mr. Richards was energetically occupied
in mining pursuits throughout northern Arizona, and was also largely
interested in ranching, owning a cattle ranch on Date Creek, in Yava-
pai County. A pleasing feature of his wide investments was that
success followed his ventures in nearly every instance. As a financier,
he was recognized as capable and trustworthy, and with this qualifica-
tion, backed with a keen knowledge of conditions in this field, in the
year 1888, he assumed the Presidency of the Bank of Arizona, and
retained that office until the hour of his death, having previously been
a director of this banking house. A few years before engaging in
banking, Mr. Richards, with George Bowers, became identified with
the now famous United Verde Mine, which was then only a prospect,
with favorable indications, however, showing on the surface. They
performed limited development, reaching shallow depth with primitive
appliances. A few years later the property was sold to the late ex-
Governor F. A. Tritle and Leonard Jerome & Brothers, of New York
City, the sum paid being less than $35,000. In early days Mr.
Richards was recognized as a man of political prominence, and was
honored by being elected a member of the upper house of the Legisla-
ture in 1875. In this important office, he rendered efficient service
to his constituency, and figured as one of the leaders in the bitter



WHO S VV H



contest that prevailed when the Capital was removed from Tucson to
Prescott during the session. Politically a staunch Democrat, he was
a firm believer in Arizona, and at all times was steadfast in advocating
and assisting in bettering its industrial conditions. For many years a
member of the Masonic fraternity, Mr. Richards was one of the early
members of Aztlan Lodge No. 1, of Prescott, and also belonged to
Ivanhoe Commandery, Knights Templar, as well as to the Mystic
Shrine of Los Angeles. In 1890 Mr. Richards was married to Miss
Emma Towne of East Orange, New Jersey, to whom he was always
attached with a courtesy and devotion which made his home life one
of singular beauty and happiness. His death, on July 19, 1911,
removed one of Arizona's leading pioneers. Honored and respected
by all, he was an upright man, conscientious in the smallest transac-
tion, and in every respect a good citizen and a builder of the country.
By his own request, expressed at a recent visit to his father's grave, he
was buried by his father's side in Bellefontaine Cemetery, St. Louis.



EDMUND W. WELLS was born on a farm near Lancaster, Ohio,
in 1847, and despite his sixty-five years, is one of the most active men,
vitally interested in all public questions affecting Arizona, and busied
daily with the details of his large business interests. Judge Wells is
recognized as one of the early residents of Arizona, having come here
from Colorado in 1864, and located in the vicinity of th,e San Fran-
cisco mountains, where he did prospecting. After a time, however,
he removed to Prescott, while that town was surrounded by the
hostile Apache, and his occupations of mining and stock raising were
hazardous in the extreme. About that time the Government estab-
lished Fort Whipple, and Judge Wells entered their employ in the
quartermaster and commissary departments. From there he was
transferred to Camp Lincoln, on the Verde, but soon tiring of the



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 54 of 58)