Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 55 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 55 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


strenuous service in this capacity, he enageged in ranching at Clear
Creek, and after two years quit ranching and took a clerical position.
In 1867 he was appointed Clerk of the District Court at Prescott,
which position he held until 1874. In 1875 was admitted to the bar,
having studied law during his leisure hours under Chief Justice
William F. Turner. He then formed a partnership with John A.
Rush, with whom he was associated thirteen years. Shortly after-
ward he was elected District Attorney of Yavapai County, and at the
expiration of his term was re-elected. He has also served as Assistant
United States Attorney for Arizona, has twice represented his county
in the Territorial Council, and in 1887 was a member of the com-
mission appointed to revise and codify the Territorial Statutes. In
1883 he retired from the practice of law, but in 1891 accepted an
appointment from President Harrison as United States District
Judge. During Governor Brodie's administration Judge Wells was
Attorney General for the Territory, and in 1910 was one of the few
Republicans chosen as delegates to the Constitutional Convention. In



I N ARIZONA




Edmund W. Wells

1882, in partnership with the late Hugo Richards, he became inter-
ested in the Bank of Arizona at Prescott, and is now its President.
He has also large property interests in that city and in Phoenix, and
heavy mining interests, especially in the Hillside District of Yavapai
County. Throughout his life, Judge Wells's conduct has ever been
notable for fidelity to public trusts vested in him, which has won for
him the highest esteem wherever known. He was the choice of the
Republican party for first governor of the State, but with his party
met defeat at the polls. He is a 32 Mason, Knights Templar and
member of the Mystic Shrine. Judge Wells was married in 1869 to
Miss Rosalind Banghart, a native of London, Ontario, and daughter
of George Banghart, one of the well known pioneers of Arizona.



WHO S W H O




M. B. Hazeltine



IN ARIZONA "3

MOSES B. HAZELTIXE, one of the most prominent figures in the
banking world of the Southwest, and Vice President of the pioneer
bank of the State, the Bank of Arizona, is a native of Ohio. He was
born in Foster, in 1865. His parents, Moses B. and Katherine Sher-
man Hazeltine, both New T Englanders, were pioneers of the Buckeye
State, having come to Ohio when it was little more than a wilderness.
Born in an atmosphere of development, Mr. Hazeltine had a natural
inclination for pioneering the West. For nearly a generation Mr.
Hazeltine has been in the forefront of civic, religious, and business
affairs of the Mile High City, and no man stands higher among his
fellow citizens and neighbors. Many years of experience as a banker
places him among the leaders as a financier, and under his manage-
ment the Bank of Arizona has become one of the strongest financial
institutions in the Southwest. He was cashier of the institution for
fourteen years and in 1912 he became vice president, this position car-
rying with it practically the entire management, as the president,
Edmund W. Wells, has so many private interests he gives little time
tc the bank. Mr. Hazeltine is president of the Yavapai County Sav-
ings Bank, an institution which has the best record of any institution
of its kind in the United States. He is secretary-treasurer of a brick
manufacturing plant, the only large factory in Yavapai County, sec-
retary of the Yavapai Water Company, and one of the partners of the
large cattle firm of Fain, Heath & Co. Despite his many interests in
the commercial and industrial life of the state, he finds time to take
an active interest in the Chamber of Commerce, of which he is a di-
rector and active worker, to the Prescott Auto Club of w T hich he is
president, and to the Congregational Church of which he is an officer.
He is the founder and director of the Apollo Club, a choir of men's
voices, which has been very successful. Mr. Hazeltine married Miss
Anna M. Criley, daughter of a pioneer physician of Prescott, and
they have three fine sons, John, M. Bonsall and Sherman.



C. A. PETER, Cashier of the Bank of Arizona, Prescott, is the son
of William A. and Diana Freeman Peter, of Illinois. His father was
a California Forty-niner, who removed to that State and engaged in
mining in Yuba County. In that county C. A. Peter was born in
1857, but the family returned to Illinois four years later and there he
grew to manhood and was educated. His first business association
was in Edinburg, Illinois, and he was later employed in a bank in
Central, that State, where he held several positions, and secured his
first experience in the financial world. He came to Arizona in 1882
and has since made his home in Prescott, with the exception of several
years spent in other sections for the benefit of Mrs. Peter's health.
During all the years of his residence here he has been in the employ of
The Bank of Arizona, having served for many years as Assistant
Cashier, and two years ago he was promoted to the post of Cashier.



774



WHO S WHO




C. A. Peter

In 1880 Mr. Peter was married in Edinburg, Illinois, to Miss Eliza-
beth Bracken. They have one son, now a resident of California.
Mr. Peter is a member of the Blue Lodge Masons and Knights
Templar, and though a lifetime Republican, has never had any politi-
cal prominence.



MEL GREENLEAF, Sheriff of Yuma County, is one of the best
known peace officers in Arizona, and has been identified with the
official life of the Territory for many years, his present term being the
fourth he has served as sheriff. He was well fitted for this position
when he was first elected in 1893, but since that time has had a va-
riety of experience which has made him even better qualified to act
as the executive head of one of the largest counties in Arizona. While
he is best known as a cattleman, he has been active in railroad circles,
having held a position as yardmaster of the Southern Pacific Company
in Yuma for some time. He was also engaged in farming, teaming
and other enterprises necessary in the upbuilding of a new country, and



I N A R I Z O N A 775

has spent large sums of money in the development of different mining
properties. Mel Greenleaf is a native of Missouri, where his parents,
E. F. Greenleaf and Lucy Ann Sweet Greenleaf, were among the
pioneers. His father was a prominent physician, and was identified
with the political, social and fraternal life of Missouri and of Cali-
fornia, having moved to the latter state when the present Sheriff was
but a lad. During the early days Mel Greenleaf was one of thi
best known Sheriffs in the State, and many noted criminals were
brought to justice through the efforts of himself and his deputies,
especially the cattle rustlers who had made their headquarters in that
section before he was elected. Sheriff Greenleaf takes a prominent part
in the political life of the State, and is one of the strong factors of
the Democratic party. He is a member of the Elks, Moose and the
Spanish-American Alliance, and takes an active part in the different
organizations with which he was affiliated. Mrs. Greenleaf, who
w r as formerly Miss Braxton, has on various occasions been deputized
by her husband to officially take charge of w r omen prisoners, and has
disposed of her charge in a highly capable manner.



J. W. BOGAN, Assessor of Pima County, is the oldest Assessor in
point of service in the State and is now serving his third term in the
office. He has been identified with the county offices for a number
of years. He was chosen Assessor for the first time because of the
variety of his experience, which embraces mining, cattle raising, rail-
roading, engineering and bridge building, and gives him a knowledge
of land values. He was re-elected Assessor, then sent to the Treas-
urer's office, where he again served the voters in an admirable man-
ner. When statehood was an assured fact it was thought best to
secure the very best man obtainable to pass on the values in Pima,
and none received more favorable mention than J. W. Bogan. He
was nominated and elected by a large majority. Mr. Bogan's parents
were pioneers of California, his father having been a forty-niner.
J. W. Bogan was born in California in 1855, of John and Anna
Byrne Bogan. After having had a few years in the mountain district
schools, when not busy helping till the soil or work about the mines,
he went to Sierra county, thence to San Diego at the age of eighteen,
\\here he worked at th? blacksmith trade two years. HP then joined
the engineering corps of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, with
whom he remained until they reached Yuma, and there with George
Norton, now a resident of Yuma, had charge of the building of the
first bridge across the Yuma River. In 1878 he moved to Tucson,
which has since been his home. He was united in marriage to Miss
Katherine Stuart, and to the union have been born two boys, Ivo and
Stuart. The former holds a position with the Southern Pacific Rail-
road company, while Stuart is in the office with his father. J. W.



776



\V HO S WHO



Bogan is well known in the business world and is secretary of the
Arivaca Land & Cattle Company, one of the largest corporations of
its kind in the State. He is an Elk and a member of the Mystic
Circle.




Peter H. Sullivan

PETER H. SULLIVAN, Chief of Phoenix Fire Department, was
born on a farn in Ottawa County, JCansas, on March 26, 1876. He
was reared on the farm, educated in the public schools of Delphos,
Kansas, and graduated from the High School. He later attended the
Normal School in Salina, and then took a complete business course in
the same city. For some years he conducted a grain elevator at
Niles, Kansas, but seeing better prospects of success in the bright
future which seemed inevitable for Arizona, he came to Phoenix in
1900 and located there. His first occupation there was in the employ
of the S. J. Tribbolet meat market. He then served on the police
force of the city for three years, made an excellent record in that posi-



IN ARIZONA



777



tion for efficiency and fidelity to duty, and for a time served in the
double capacity of Fire Chief and police officer. It was during his
term of service in the dual capacity that the Adams Hotel was con-
sumed by fire, and it was only because of Mr. Sullivan's magnificent
ability, sound judgment, presence of mind and superb management
that the fire was confined to the small territory destroyed, as the out-
look at times was very threatening to the adjacent portions of the
city. As a just reward for ability and bravery displayed on that
occasion, Mr. Sullivan was shortly afterward appointed Chief of the
City Fire Department, an appointment which met with general ap-
proval. Mr. Sullivan is unmarried, but is owner of a very comfort-
able home in Phoenix, which is shared by his brothers and sisters.



CHARLES ALEXANDER, Assistant Superintendent of Schools in
Maricopa County, spent his early years on a farm near Blackburn,
Saline County, Missouri. His father, James Alexander, is a native

of Strabane, Ireland, who emi-
grated to this country in early
manhood, fully possessed of
Scotch-Irish traits of character.
His mother, Hannah Hooper
Alexander, is from an old
American family tracing a di-
rect lineage to William Hoop-
er of North Carolina, who
signed the Declaration of In-
dependence. Both parents,
though advanced in years, still
live on the farm in old Mis-
souri. While still a boy,
Charles came to Arizona and
located near Tempe, where he
took advantage of the proxim-
ity of the Normal and entered
the senior year, graduating in
1903. He then spent four
years in various Universities of
the country, specializing in his-
tory, philosophy and economics.
In 1907 the University of Ari-
zona conferred upon him the

degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. Upon leaving the University he en-
gaged for a time in newspaper work, and was for some time city editor
of the Tucson Citizen. Upon being elected principal of the schools at
Tempe, newspaper work was abandoned, and he has since been em-
ployed in school work. He takes a lively interest in all public affairs,
and is especially well qualified for and adapted to his present position.




778



WHO'S WHO




W. A. Bennett. Under Sheriff



Thomas G. Alger



THOMAS G. ALGER, Sheriff of Graham County, is a native of
Utah, having been born in St. George, October 28, 1868. His fath-
er, John Alger, a carpenter, contractor and builder, was one of the
early settlers of Utah, but both he and Sheriff Alger's mother,
Sarah A. (Edwards) Alger, were natives of Missouri. Mr. Alger
married Sarah S. Hamblin in 1899, and they have a family of nine
children of which they may well feel proud, Leonard, William, Lem-
uel, Duane, Bessie, Sarah, Josephine, Nina and Alvina. Mr. Alger
comes from a prominent Utah family and her ancestors were among
the earliest pioneers. Both the Alger and Hamblin families have
taken a prominent part in the political, industrial and social life of
Utah, and the present generation show the results of the ancestral
stock, and they give promise of taking a prominent part in the affairs
of Arizona when they reach maturity. Sheriff Alger is a Democrat
and has taken a prominent part in the political affairs of the county
for many years, but never as an office holder previous to his present
position. He was chosen because of his reputation for integrity, hon-
esty and general knowledge of affairs in Graham county, and he has
proven a most capable official. Graham county is given a wide berth
by law breakers, and the rustlers no longer trouble the stock of the
ranchers and cattle growers of the Gila Valley. W. A. Bennett,
under sheriff, is widely known as a capable and fearless peace officer.



[ N ARIZONA



779




J. B. Girand

J. B. GIRAND was born May 20, 1873, at Austin, Texas. He com-
pleted the high school course in 1888 and entered the Agricultural &
Mechanical College of Texas, as student in civil engineering, being
sufficiently advanced to enter the third class. He remained there until
1891, having successively passed from third to second, and from sec-
ond to first class. He left during the last year's work to take up field
work in Western Texas. On the organization of Moore County,
Texas, in 1891, he was elected County Surveyor. In 1892, on the
death of District Surveyor of the Oldham Land District of Texas, he
was appointed to fill the vacancy, and in 1894 was elected to this of-



\V M O ' S WHO

fice. During the time he was County Surveyor of Moore County, and
while District Surveyor of the Oldham Land District, his work was
principally surveying and establishing county boundaries, and the
usual work incident to such an office. In 1895 he resigned the office
of District Surveyor to take up railroad work, and went with the
Texas Midland Railway, under M. Duval, Chief Engineer, as topo-
grapher and draftsman on location and construction of 65 miles of
road. He remained with this road until the spring of 1897, when he
entered the employ of the Gainesville, McAlester & St. Louis Rail-
way, under L. G. Caswell, Chief Engineer, as topographer and
transitman on location. This work lasted throughout the year 1897,
and they located a line of road from Gainesville, Texas, to McAlester,
Indian Territory. He resigned in December to accept a position as
Asst. Engineer on reconstruction of the Santa Fe Pacific Ry., under
R. B. Burns, Chief Engineer. Remained here until June, 1898, when
he resigned to accept the appointment of Chief Engineer of the Sagi-
naw Southern Ry., during which time he had charge of location and
construction of 25 miles of road for the Saginaw Lumber Co. In
1898 he was appointed U. S. Deputy Mineral Surveyor for the Dis-
trict of Arizona. During the spring of 1899 he was appointed Assist-
ant Chief Engineer of the Santa Fe & Grand Canyon Ry., under P. F.
Randall, Chief Engineer, and had charge of construction of 45 miles
of this road. On account of cessation of this work in the spring of
1900, he took a contract for a survey of a portion of the public lands
in the Grand Canyon Forest Reserve ; completed these surveys during
December, 1900. Was engineer of the Anita Copper Co. mines,
during the winter of 1900, and left there to accept a position as locat-
ing engineer of the Cananea Consolidated Copper Co. of Sonora,
Mexico, under E. A. McFarland, Chief Engineer, and located the
major portion of that branch of the Cananea, Rio Yaqui & Pacific
Ry. from Naco to Cananea. During 1901 he was admitted to the
Western Society of Engineers as member. During 1901-2 was en-
gaged in general engineering practice in Northern Arizona, having an
office at Prescott, Arizona, the work being mostly mining. In 1902
he was awarded a large contract for survey of the public lands. In
1903 he accepted a position as engineer in charge of the United Gold
and Platinum Mines Co., which position he held for two years, dur-
ing which time he had charge of the location of an electric road into
the Grand Canyon of Arizona, and during which time the company
expended under his direction more than $300,000 in preliminary
work in connection with this project. In December, 1904, he accept-
ed a position as chief engineer of the Amalgamated Gold Mines Co. of
Arizona, and had charge of the designing and erection of a large gold
milling plant. In 1905 he resigned and took up private practice again
in Prescott. Was appointed City Engineer and designed and con-
structed a 2,000,000 gallon reinforced concrete reservoir for the city.
He also was engineer of construction of the Prescott & Mt. Union



[ N A R I Z O X A



781



Ry., an electric road in the City of Prescott. In 1907 he organized
the Haggott-Girand Company, of Los Angeles and Prescott, a con-
tracting engineering company of which he was president. During
this year he had immediate supervision of the construction of the
Bisbee-Warren Electric Ry., a contract for the construction of which
had been awarded his company. Also the installation of the water
works and sewer for the town of Warren, work involving the ex-
penditure of about one-half million dollars. On account of the panic
of this year the company was dissolved, and during the year 1908 he
was engaged in private practice, during which time he had imme-
diate charge of the designing and construction of a 20-stamp gold mill
and cyanide plant for the Big Stick Gold Mining Co. of Yavapai
County, Arizona. In March, 1909, he was appointed Territorial
Engineer of Arizona, and during which time he had charge of the dis-
bursing of one-half million dollars in the construction of roads and
bridges. As Territorial Engineer he supervised the designing and
election of a 700 foot reinforced concrete bridge across the Gila River
at Florence, and also a 1500-125 foot arch rib reinforced concrete
bridge (now under construction) across the Salt River at Tempe.
He is Secretary of the Arizona Society of Engineers, member of the
executive committee of the Arizona Good Roads Association, and leg-
islative committeeman for Arizona of the American Association for
Highway Improvement. In 1910 he was consulting engineer for the
County of Maricopa in the construction of a 2600-foot reinforced con-
crete bridge over the Salt River. For the past three years he has
been consulting engineer for the Southwestern Arizona Fruit and Irri-
gation Company in the construction of a dam across the Gila River,
which is now completed. In 1912 he was appointed chief engineer of
the Gila Water Company, still holding the position. He is consult-
ing engineer for the Tucson water supply.



J. KNOX CORBETT, one of Arizona's influential and prosperous busi-
ness men, who has sturdily pressed his way forward to the leading
ranks from a small beginning, was born June 20, 1861, at Sumter,
S. C., of Scotch-French extraction. His paternal grandfather was a
native of Scotland, but his maternal ancestors have been in America
for several generations, and some of them fought for our independ-
ence in the Revolution. Mr. Corbett began learning the lumber
business when but a boy, in the employ of Samuel Graham in his home
town, with whom he remained four years. He first came to Arizona
in January, 1880, when he made the journey from Albuquerque to
Tucson by stage coach. His first position there, which he retained
for three years, was as postal clerk, and after an interval of about a
year, during which he ran a stage coach between Tucson and Silver
Bell, he served as assistant postmaster for four years. In the mean-
time he had become interested in the cattle business, established a
ranch in the Rincon mountains, and at the expiration of his term in



782



WHO S WHO



the postoffice located on his property, still retaining his home in Tuc-
son. In 1898 he disposed of all his cattle interests and made his
permanent home in Tucson, and in 1890 was appointed postmaster
there. Upon retiring from office in 1894 he engaged in the lumber
business, which constantly increased in its scope until he was pro-
prietor of the largest business in that line in Southern Arizona. Mr.
Corbett is known throughout the State as a representative business
man and Republican. He is a prominent member of the Elks. In
1885 he married Miss Lizzie Hughes, one of Tucson's native daugh-
ters, whose father, Samuel Hughes, is one of the oldest pioneers of
the State.

EDWARD P. GRIXDELL, former Secretary Chamber of Commerce,
Douglas, and son of William and Margaret McMurry Grindell, was
born in Platteville, Wisconsin, July 3, 1873, and received his edu-
cation in that State. He first came to Arizona with his brother,

Thomas Grindell, in 1897,
and settled in Tempe, his
brother having been one of
the instructors at the Tempe
Normal School. Later, how-
ever, Thomas Grindell
joined the Rough Riders
under Roosevelt, and served
during the Spanish-Ameri-
can War. On his return
to Arizona he served for two
years as Clerk of the Su-
preme Court of the Terri-
tory, then when on an explor-
ation trip in Sonora, died of
thirst on the Tiburon desert.
Mr. Edward Grindell has
been a resident of Douglas
since 1907, and in his pres-
ent position since 1908. In
addition to his duties in this
capacity, he is also a Director
of the Arizona Bank & Trust
Company, and Vice Presi-
dent of the Arizona & Mex-
ico Realty Company, both of
Douglas. He is a member
of the Knights of Pythias

and Elks, in both of which he is actively interested, and Treasurer of
the latter organization. He recently resigned as Secretary of the
Chamber of Commerce, and will engage in ranching in Sulphur
Springs Valley.




IN ARIZONA



783



Pioneer Wedding




Charles H. Kenyon and Mrs. Charles H. Kenyon

(Weekly Arizona Miner, Prescott, Arizona, December 7, 1872)
Married. In Phoenix, on Wednesday evening last, by J. T. Alsap,
Probate Judge for Maricopa County, Charles H. Kenyon, to Miss
Sarah J. Moore, both of Maricopa Wells. This is the first American
couple ever married in the town of Phoenix. After the marriage the
happy couple repaired to the ballroom, danced all night, and left in the
morning for the Wells, carrying with them the best wishes of all for
their future prosperity and happiness.

Barber & Pearson have just completed a new building for J. Gold-
water & Bro. on the corner of Montezuma and Jefferson Streets,
facing on the southwest corner of the plaza. In this building a grand
ball was given by W. H. Pope on Wednesday evening last, large-
ly attended by the ladies and gentlemen of Phoenix and vicinity, by
Mrs. Moore, Miss Mary E. Moore, Charles H. Kenyon and lady
(who were just married), L. W. Carr and Chris Taylor from Mari-
copa Wells; T. W. Mclntosh and lady from the Gila, and a number



i84



WHO S WHO



of gentlemen from McDowell. The music by the Fifth Cavalry Band
was extremely good ; the supper, at the Capital house, was excellent ;
dancing w r as kept up all night and the whole affair passed off very
pleasantly. Thanks are due to Mr. Pope for his untiring energy in
the management of the affair, as well as to the gentlemen on the vari-
ous committees, and to J. D. Monihon in particular.

During the night the bride and groom attracted much attention.
The bride and her sister, dressed in white, moving in the giddy mazes
of the dance, appeared visions of loveliness, and Mr. Kenyon, looking
the picture of happiness, was pronounced the luckiest man living.



AMANDA M. CHINGREN has been in the Indian service for the



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 55 of 58)