Jo Conners.

Who's who in Arizona .. online

. (page 9 of 58)
Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 9 of 58)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and most complete in the country, and occupies two floors, one of
which is a free reading room, where may be found all works of
reference and the latest magazines and newspapers. The other con-
tains the library proper, consisting of 10,000 volumes on every known
subject, ranging from science to the latest fiction. The service of
the library is absolutely free and the librarians in charge most cour-
teous and helpful.



118 WHO'S WHO

The Douglas Library is conducted on practically the same prin-
ciples, having also a reading room and library proper, but is not quite
so extensive as that of Bisbee. Here, too, the public is accorded the
utmost courtesy.

An Employes' Benefit Association is another one of the excellent
features instituted by this Company. In this Association membership
is entirely voluntary and open to any employe, regardless of occupa-
tion. The finances are administered by a joint board composed of
officers and employes, the Company subscribing $15,000 annually it-
half the employes join, and $25,000 if three-fourths join, while em-
ployes contribute 2 per cent of their monthly wages in return for in-
dustrial and life insurance. Beneficiaries receive half wages if sick or
injured, and one year's wages is received by heirs in case of death from
sickness, and two years' wages in case of death through accident.

The Medical Department has an able staff of physicians and sur-
geons at both Bisbee and Douglas, w r hich is maintained partially
through monthly contributions from employes, the balance being con-
tributed by the Company. There is also a large hospital, provided
with all the modern conveniences known to medical science, and or
which Dr. F. E. Shine is the chief surgeon.

The Copper Queen Consolidated Mining Company was organized
in 1885 under the laws of the State of New York, w r ith a capitaliza-
tion of $2,000,000, shares par value $10.00. It is controlled through
practically the entire stock ownership by Phelps, Dodge & Co., is
really a close corporation, and has only about fifteen shareholders.

The office of the company is at No. 99 John street, New York;
the mine office at Bisbee, Arizona, and the general and works office
at Douglas, Arizona. The officers are as follows : Dr. James Doug-
las, President ; Arthur Curtiss James, Vice President ; George Not-
man, Secretary and Treasurer; Stuart W. French, General Manager;
Grant H. Dowell, Assistant General Manager; Gerald Sherman,
General Mine Superintendent; Joseph Park Hodgson, Superintend-
ent; Forest Rutherford, Superintendent of Reduction Works; Ellin-
wood & Ross, Attorneys ; Dr. F. E. Shine, Medical Superintendent.

The force employed by the Company consists of more than 4,000
men, of whom approximately 2,500 are at the mines, and the re-
mainder at the smelters. In addition to its numerous claims in the
Warren District, it owns various properties in other sections.

One of the points early recognized by this Company was that in
order to achieve the best results it would be necessary to have the
man best suited to the requirements in every capacity, and they have,
therefore, gathered together in their employ the brightest and brain-
iest men obtainable in their several lines, each and every one of whom
is working heart and soul for the best interests of the Copper Queen
Company.



IN ARIZONA 119



Detroit Copper Company

THE DETROIT COPPER MINING COMPANY OF ARIZONA is con-
trolled through ownership of entire issue of stock by Phelps, Dodge
& Co., Inc. The mine is at Morenci, Graham County, where is also
the mine and works office, while the company's office is at No. 99 John
Street, New York. The mine, opened about 1880, was first worked
opencast, but is now developed by tunnels and shafts. The caving
system, giving about 40% reduction in mining costs, was adopted in
1909, where feasible, and the square-set slicing system is used in other
portions. Gas power is employed for practically all machinery except
hoists and locomotives. There is a complete electric lighting plant.
A pumping station six miles distant raises water from wells on the
San Francisco River to a height of 600 feet, whence it is fed by
gravity to the mill. A 36" gauge railway connects the mines and
smelters with the Arizona & New Mexico railroad at Guthrie, and a
tunnel through Longfellow Hill, completed 1909, gives direct rail
connection with the mill. The smelter has one 42x264" and four
54x144" blast furnaces, and a converter department. Flue dust is
briquetted for resmelting. The smelter has 2,000-ton ore bins, sur-
mounted by a steel railroad trestle. The property of this company is
managed with great skill in all departments, and is an exceptionally
fine example of a successful low-grade mine. They employ about
1,000 men. The officers are: President, Dr. James Douglas; Vice
President, Cleveland H. Dodge; Secretary and Treasurer, George H.
Notman ; General Superintendent, Alexander T. Thompson ; Mine
Superintendent, M. H. McLean ; Mill Superintendent, G. E. Hunt.
The company conducts a large department store and an excellent
hotel, and maintains a library, gymnasium and clubroom for employes.



120



WHO S WHO





Miners and Smeltermen at O. D. Mine, Globe, in the Early '80's



I N A R I Z O N A



The Globe-Miami District

THE GLOBE-MIAMI DISTRICT, Gila County, is now producing
annually about 60,000,000 pounds of copper, most of which is ob-
tained from two mines, the Old Dominion at Globe and the Miami
near the town of Miami, and when the improvements now in progress
at these mines shall be completed and the Inspiration Consolidated
placed on a full producing basis, it is anticipated that one-tenth of the
copper supply of the United States will be produced in this district.
For more than twenty years the Old Dominion mine was the most
important deposit of copper ore known in the district, but in 1907
the Miami ore body was discovered in a belt of mineralized schist,
five miles west of Globe, and the next five years was a period of won-
derful development for this section ; a new mining district was
created, and on the site of the town of Miami with a population of
2,000 and rapidly growing, there were less than a dozen houses three
years ago. The population of the Miami district is close to five
thousand; and that of Globe, according to the census of 1910, about
7,000, while in 1902 it was but 1,500. Here has been discovered a
single ore deposit over two miles long and having a maximum width
of 1,500 feet, which contains also several breaks and barren patches,
and on this have been developed four mines. The Globe District,
though pre-eminently a copper producer, furnishes a small amount of
gold and silver, most of which is in connection with the copper ores
of the Old Dominion Mine. Both this and the Miami mine are large
producers and paying dividends and it is expected that the Inspiration
Consolidated, formed by a merger of the Inspiration and Live Oak
Companies, will be producing at its full capacity within a couple of
years.

Old Dominion Company

THE OLD DOMINION COMPANY, whose office is at No. 99 John
Street, New York, while the mine office is at Globe, Arizona, was
organized in January, 1904, under the laws of Maine, with a capi-
talization of $8,750,000, par value of shares $25.00. This is a se-
curities holding company organized to promote the operation of the
Old Dominion Copper Mining & Smelting Co. and United Globe
Mines under joint management, though the companies are operated
as entities. The Old Dominion Mine dates from the year 1874,
when a band of prospectors, braving the hostile Apaches, crossed the
Final Mountains and located the claim that was afterward known as
The Old Dominion Mine, which for some years produced a high grade
of silver. When in the early eighties silver mining began to decline,
attention was turned to copper, of which there were numerous surface
indications, and in 1881 the Old Dominion Company was operating a



122 W H O ' S W H O

small furnace about one mile west of the present town of Miami on
copper silicate ore from a small schist nearby. This proved unprofit-
able, however, and the Globe mine was purchased, the smelter moved
to Globe, and in 1884 two 30-ton furnaces were in operation. Since
that time the mine has passed through several periods of idleness and
re-organization, having changed hands several times, but it has been
a steady producer since the advent of the railroad in 1898 and a divi-
dend payer since 1907. The Old Dominion Copper Mining & Smelt-
ing Company, its present owner, was organized in 1895 under the
laws of the State of New Jersey, with a capitalization of $5,000,000,
par value of shares $25.00. This company had a large debt which
was cared for and the last of which was paid in October, 1908, by
the holding company. An excess of water in this mine, formerly a
sore grievance, has been converted into a source of revenue almost
sufficient to pay for the cost of handling, the water being sold to both
Globe and Miami for various purposes. The mine is equipped with
pumps of about 10,000,000 gallons daily, and with electric haulage,
tramcars having about 22' cubic capacity, and hoisting is in three-
deck cages. The mine, mill and smelter are connected by a private
railway equipped with a Porter locomotive and 50-ton ore cars. This
mine was handicapped in the past by lack of sulphide ores and the
company was- previously an extensive purchaser of these ores needed
for fluxing the oxidized ores of both it and the United Globe Mines,
which are treated at the smelter, but both mines have since developed
considerable sulphide in their lower workings and the amount of cus-
tom ore handled has been greatly reduced. The smelter has a capacity
of 2,400 tons daily. Both mine and smelter are in better shape than
ever before, for which much credit is due the management.

THE UNITED GLOBE MINES, which is also under control of the
Old Dominion Company, was organized with a capitalization of
$2,300,000, par value of "shares $100.00. This adjoins the Old Do-
minion mine and its output is treated at the Old Dominion smelter.
Improvements of plants and mining equipment are continually being
made and $500,000 has recently been appropriated to be expended on
constructive work. One of the most notable improvements is the
lining of the two-compartment Kingdon shaft with concrete. A
separate flue and dust chamber has been built at the converter plant
and a new converter stand will replace the three now in use. This
mine is said to have more ore in sight now than at any other time in
its history, and it is believed that it will be a producer for many years
to come. It is essentially a vein mine, but owing to the large amount
of water encountered and the heavy nature of the ground, it is impos-
sible to block out ore very far in advance of mining. The office of
the company is at 99 John Street, New York, and the mine office at
Globe. The officials are as follows: President, James Douglas; Sec-
retary and Treasurer, George Notman ; Superintendent, George
Kingdon.



IN A R I Z O N A



123




124 WHO'S WHO



The Miami Mine

THE MIAMI MIXE was actually started December 8, 1906, when
J. Parke Channing secured from Fred Alsdorf, a mining engineer,
and F. J. Elliott, a lawyer, an option on the claims that have devel-
oped into the Miami. Mr. Channing was in Globe negotiating for the
Inspiration claims, but considered the price asked excessive, and later
meeting Mr. Alsdorf, he listened to his proposition, examined the
ground and decided to secure an option for the General Development
Company, a Lewishon corporation. Mr. Alsdorf was placed in charge
of the work, and for several months results were discouraging. No.
2 shaft was about 200 feet deep with no sign of ore, and No. 1 had
disclosed only 70 feet of two per cent ore, so it was decided to cut a
20-foot sump and then cross-cut into the hill. At the bottom of the
sump the indications w r ere more encouraging and about ten feet lower
the shaft went into chalcocite ore assaying four per cent copper. The
shaft was continued to the 720-foot level and extended through an
unbroken depth of 485 feet of ore. In November the Miami Copper
Company was organized and development proceeded rapidly. By the
end of 1910 there had been developed 18,000,000 tons of ore averag-
ing 2.58 per cent copper and a 3,000 ton concentrator, power plant
and pumping station had been completed. In March, 1911, the first
unit of the concentrator was started, and within a year all six units
were in operation. The Miami Company was organized under the
laws of Delaware in November, 1907, with a capital of $3,000,000,
par value of shares $5.00. The capital has since been increased to
$4,000,000, 60,000 snares of the latest increase having been offered to
stockholders at $18.00 each.

There being practically no waste in this mine within the limits of
the ore zone, some problems have been presented, the most serious
being to devise a method by which the greatest amount of ore can be
extracted with the least waste. The system devised for mining is
known as the auxiliary raise and sub-level stoping method, by which
60% of the ore will be mined in rooms and the remainder extracted
by top-slicing and sub-level caving methods. The mill structure,
built under the direction of Mr. H. Kenyon Burch, is of steel with
no woodwork, except in the launders, and is on a foundation of about
15,000 cubic yards of concrete. The water supply for the mill in-
cludes a water-right on Final Creek and one at the lower end of the
Miami wash, where there are three wells, each producing 500,000
gallons daily. Water is taken from Final Creek by a 25,000' pipe-line
of 14" diameter. In addition, the company buys from the Old Do-
minion Copper Mining & Smelting Company 1,000,000 gallons of
water daily. The pumping station, about two miles from the concen-
trator, has electric pumps. The mine is served by the Gila Valley,
Globe & Northern Railway with standard gauge, having an excellent



IN ARIZONA



125






;



126



W H O S W H O



average grade and light curves, so that favorable freight rates are
given the mine and mill. No essential feature of well planned and
thoroughly symmetrical development has been slighted and, there-
for, the cost of putting the Miami mine on a productive basis has
been much greater than was anticipated, a matter in which the man-
agement deserves credit rather than censure, as every dollar above
the original estimate that has been put into the property has given at
least $5.00 of developed values. They have a substantial office build-
ing erected at a cost of $15,000, and the company has built a recrea-
tion hall provided with reading matter, pool tables and games. The
lands of the company aggregate 1,122 acres, partly patented and the
balance in process, of which 222 acres are mineral ground. The
Miami is a very large and very fine mine and is in worthy and able
hands. The offices are at No. 42 Broadway, New York, and Miami,
Arizona. The officers are as follows : President, Adolph Lewisohn ;
Vice President, J. Parke Channing; Treasurer, Sam A. Lewishon ;
Secretary, Herman Cooke; General Manager, B. Britton Gottsberger;
Mine Supt., N. O. Lawton ; Mill Supt., F. W. Solomon.

The Inspiration Consolidated

THE INSPIRATION CONSOLIDATED MINING COMPANY was formed
early in the year 1912 by the merging of the Inspiration Mining Com-
pany and the Live Oak Development Company, both of which had
been in course of development for several years. The former had
been organized under the laws of Maine in 1909 with a capitalization
of $10,000,000, issuing 1,000,000 shares of stock at a par value of
$10.00 a share; and the latter was organized under the law r s of Ari-
zona with a capitalization of $500,000, issuing 50,000 shares of stock
at a par value of $10.00 a share. Both mines are situated in the
Globe-Miami District.

At the time of the organization of The Inspiration Copper Com-
pany the property consisted of twenty-five claims. The Taylor group
of seven claims was acquired about a month later, and the Black
Copper group of eight claims, formerly owned by the Arizona Banner
Copper Company, about six months later after having been held under
bond by The Inspiration Copper Mining Company for a number of
months. The total area of mineral lands then aggregated about 500
acres. On these various groups of claims considerable development
work had been done before they became part of The Inspiration prop-
erty. Part of this development was done by underground shaft, part
by churn drilling, and by the end of the year 1911 there had been
developed in them a total of 45,000,000 tons of ore averaging about
two per cent copper.

A period of vast development and construction work, which will
involve the expenditure of about $7,000,000, in about two years, was
begun soon after the merger of the two companies was completed.



IN ARIZONA



127



This includes three development and two main working shafts and
the opening of the first haulage level. Many miles of drifts and
levels will also be necessary to bring the mine to the point of produc-
tion. Plans were also drawn for a 7,500-ton concentrator, power
plant, railroads, shops, etc., on all of which construction will proceed
as rapidly as possible.

The Company has valuable water rights covering the junctions
of Final and Miami Creeks; a water supply dam is completed across
Final Creek, and a pumping plant is being erected.

The Live Oak property was first located by a man named Marshall
in 1890. It was later acquired by Forrest Kaldenbery, who assigned
it to the Live Oak Copper Mining & Smelting Company and operated
by the latter until 1908, when it was taken over by the Hovland &
Smith interests and The Live Oak Development Company. While it




Inspiration Camp near Miami, Arizona

was in control of The Live Oak Copper Mining & Smelting Com-
pany, over $600,000 worth of ore was produced, the greater part of
which was shipped to the Old Dominion Smelter at Globe.

During this same period of development a tunnel 500 feet long, now
known as the Sulphite Tunnel, was driven from the south end of the
Copper Springs claim in the direction of the vertical shaft, the origi-
nal purpose of which was to cut several veins of high grade sulphide
ore which outcrops on the surface, and from its portal to its face, this
tunnel w r as driven through altered schist sprinkled throughout with
chalcocite ore similar to the ores of the Miami, Inspiration and Key-
stone mines. After The Live Oak Development Company took over
the property the vertical shaft was continued to a depth of 281 feet,
and at the 200 foot level sulphides were encountered.



128 WHO'S WHO IN ARIZONA

The Inspiration Consolidated Copper Company, capitalized at $30,-
000,000, is at present employing about 700 men, with the number
steadily increasing, and it is estimated that the mine, when in full
operation, will be able to produce about 7,000,000 pounds of copper a
year.

Mr. William B. Thompson, of the Gunn-Thompson Company, is
president; Mr. Charles E. Mills, for some years in a similar position
with the Detroit Copper Mining Company of Arizona, at Morenci,
is general manager ; Dr. L. D. Ricketts is consulting engineer, and
Mr. T. R. Drummond is superintendent.

By means of the untiring efforts of its capable officials, it is no ex-
aggeration to say The Inspiration Consolidated Mining Company
will eventually be one of the largest and best paying mining projects
in Arizona.

The Shattuck-Arizona Copper Co.

THE SHATTUCK-ARIZONA COPPER Co. mine lies in the northeast-
ern portion of the Bisbee camp, and consists of eight claims patented,
with an area of about 120 acres. Development was begun here in
August, 1904, and shipment of ore in September, 1906. In November,
1907, however, work was stopped for a time owing to the panic, but
was resumed in 1908 and production has since been continuous.
Owing to the rugged topography of the lands tunneling is imprac-
ticable, neighboring properties holding all tunnel sites, hence develop-
ment is by shaft. Ores are mainly oxidized, with some sulphides at
depth. The property is equipped to produce about 1,000 tons daily. The
Shattuck-Arizona has been the highest grade producer of any large cop-
per mine of the world, and possibly also the lowest cost producer. For a
time the Company pursued the policy of extracting only the highest
grade ores, which in 1910 gave the phenomenal average return of about
17% copper, leaving an immensely greater tonnage of ore of much
lower average grade unstoped in the mine. Ores are shipped from this
mine to smelters at Douglas. The buildings of the Company include
a carpenter shop, smithy, boiler house, engine house, warehouse, saw-
mill, and changing house with accommodation for 200 men.

The Shattuck-Arizona Company was organized March 22, 1904,
under the laws of Arizona, with a capitalization of $3,500,000, shares
$10.00 par, non-assessable and fully issued. This company is closely
connected in ownership and management with the Denn-Arizona
Mining Co. The main office of the Company is at Duluth, Minne-
sota, and the mine office at Bisbee, Arizona. The officers are Thomas
Bardon, president; A. Guthrie, vice president; Archibald M. Chis-
holm, secretary and treasurer; Lemuel G. Shattuck, managing direc-
tor; Norman E. La Mond, assistant secretary; A. B. W. Hodges, con-
sulting engineer; and John Olson, superintendent. The stock of the
Company is listed on the Boston Stock Exchange.



H
o

o



-!





CO






3

5'

o
o

w

S"
3



O

o



3.
r-f

p

f
o




130 WHO'S WHO

The United Verde Mine

THE UNITED VERDE MINE is situated on the north slope of one of
the principal mountains of the Black Hills Range, about five miles
from the Verde River. The United Verde Copper Company was or-
ganized under the laws of New York, and re-organized in 1889
under the laws of West Virginia with a capitalization of $3,000,000.
It is practically a close corporation and controlled through stock
ownership by Senator William A. Clark. Many of the stories writ-
ten of this property, w T hich have aided in making it world famous,
have been but a perversion of facts caused by a desire to create the
impression that Senator Clark was receiving the greatest income of
any man in the world through its output ; and while the property
merits all of the renown which it has attained, the history of the
United Verde has not been an example of blind luck, but a gradual
development by means of a liberal expenditure of money and a liberal
application of brains and judgment. The credit for its success is,
therefore, due to Senator Clark, and not to the Goddess of Chance.

The first location made in the district was the Verde Mine, which
is now the property of the Verde Queen Copper Company. This was
located by the famous scout, Al Seiber, in the early eighties, was held
by him several years and then became the property of Dan Mar, a
farmer, who later disposed of the same to the present company. In
1883 the original United Verde Company was organized and began
active operations at once, installing a thirty-ton copper furnace. In
spite of the fact that coal and coke for the furnace had to be hauled
from Ash Fork, a distance of 75 miles, tw r o dividends of $37,500 and
$25,000 respectively, w r ere declared. The next year the majority of
the stock was placed in escrow by the company under lease and bond
to Senator Clark, and before the expiration of the option the bond
was satisfied by Senator Clark, who, recognizing its value, began to
acquire the outstanding stock as rapidly as possible. Senator Clark
gained control of the property in 1888, since when its development
has steadily increased, and the plant has grown from the thirty-ton
smelter to the ponderous furnaces of today.

A large portion of the power used in operating the United Verde
Mine is purchased from the Arizona Power Company and transmit-
ted a distance of 38 miles, under pressure of 40,000 volts, 3-phase,
60-cycle, stepped down and converted in the Power Company's sub-
station, and delivered on the Copper Company's switchboard at 2,300
volts AC, and 250 volts DC. The switchboard is built in two sec-
tions, and has 19 panels equipped with the necessary apparatus to
control, not only the power and lights used in the plant, but also the
power and lights used in the city of Jerome.

Modern shops, equipped with necessary tools for doing all repair
work for the mine, smelter and railroad are conveniently located.



Online LibraryJo ConnersWho's who in Arizona .. → online text (page 9 of 58)