John; Arrol Arrol.

The Arrol, Arroll and Arrell families online

. (page 41 of 73)
Online LibraryJohn; Arrol ArrolThe Arrol, Arroll and Arrell families → online text (page 41 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


They had:

I JOSEPH THOMAS ERROL, b circa 1905 in New York City. JOSEPH was bom
with the surname EROL. However, he changed the spelling to ERROL when he was
young as he thought the name looked better spelled with 2 r's. He was employed
in a foundry. He m Evelyn Wentworth, b circa 1912 in Maine. Evelyn's mother was
English and her father was French. JOSEPH d circa 1951 of lung cancer. In 1990
Evelyn was living in Seattle, Washington. They had;

1 RICHARD ERROL, b circa 1936. In 1990 RICHARD was m and lived in

Magnolia, Washington.

2 WENDY ERROL, b circa 1949. In 1990 WENDY was m and lived in Arlington,

Washington. She had three children.



405



PART III



THE



c^ // r re.



A .S OF ULSTER




K



THE ARRELLS OF ULSTER



The family name of Arrell is found primarily in the County of Londonderry, Northern
Ireland. However, the descendents of the Arrells of Londonderry are found in County
Antrim, Northern Ireland, Australia, Canada, England, Scotland, New Zealand, Japan and
the United States. There are also many Arels and Arrells whose heritage is French
Canadian and who were orignally from France and settled in the Yamaska District of
Quebec. The Arrells from Quebec are discussed in Part IV of this volume.

The earliest published record of the spelling of the family name of Arrell in Northern
Ireland appears to be in the Indexes to Irish Wills, Volume V, which lists the will of
Robert Arrell, Cabragh, Parish of Termoneeny, in 1747. Two additional early published
records of early Arrell wills are those of Sarah Arrell, widow. King Street, in 1802, and
John Arrell of Cabragh in 1819. The records of deaths in Northern Ireland trace Arrells
to part of the County Londonderry during the period just before the end of the eighteenth
century.

Many Arrell families in Northern Ireland believe that their heritage is Scottish. At the
beginning of the seventeenth century, James VI of Scotland, I of England, undertook what
is termed the Plantation of Ulster.' There was a concerted effort made to settle Ulster
with Scots. There were many large estates, formed at the time of the plantation, that have
long passed into other hands. Many other estates were created by land grants between
1641 and 1703, after the 1641 Rebellion. During these times many indigenous Irish were
declared traitors, and their lands were confiscated and regranted, mainly to Protestant
Scottish Undertakers. The Scottish Undertakers, as part of their land grants, undertook
to plant the land with settlers (or undertenants) whom they brought over from Scotland.
It was primarily these tenants that became the ancestors of the ethnic group often known,
particularily in the United States, as the Scotch-Irish. Today this group is usually referred
to as Ulster Scots.

In the "Special Report on Surnames In Ireland" it is noted under the Chapter on Scottish
Names that:

From an early period there were migrations of Scotch from Scotland to Ireland
where they settled in Ulster, but the formal Plantation of Ulster took place in the
seventeenth century. The majority of the settlers were Scotch.

Although few in number, there were Arrells in Scotland in the 1500's and 1600's. The
Arrells lived in the highland glens of Cashill and Luss, in Buchanan Parish, Sterlingshire,
and in Dumbarton and Helensburgh in the Parish of Row, both in Dumbartonshire. (See
Appendicies X and XI.) A number of Arrol and Arroll families are descendents of these
early Arrells. The name Arrell was often spelled as Arral, Arrall, Arrol, Arroll, Arall,
Arol, Erroll, Errol and a number of other variants during this period. In 1990 the



407



descendents of these early Arrells in Scotland spell their surnames either, Arrol, Arroll
or Errol. Whether these early Arrells from Dumbartonshire and Stirlingshire emigrated
to Ulster, or the Arrells were among the undertenants transplanted from the highland
glens to Ulster, is not known. Records indicate that the Duke of Lennox, who had great
power in Dumbartonshire, received a grant as an Undertaker. (1)

These undertakers, who held good social positions, used their positions to draw good
colonists from their own districts, thereby fulfilling the terms of the "plantation" contracts,
which bound them to "plant" their holdings with tenants. With the recipient of 2000
acres, the agreement was that the undertaker was to bring "forty-eight able men of the age
of eighteen or upwards, being bom in England or the inward parts of Scotland". He was
further bound to grant farms to his tenants, the sizes of these being specified. It was
particularily required that these should be "feus," or on lease for twenty -one years or for
life. The term used, "the inward parts of Scotland", referred to the old invasions of Ulster
by the men of the Western Islands. No more Celts were wanted as there were plenty of
that race already in North Antrim. It was the Lowland Scots, peace-loving and
Protestants, whom the Government desired.

A search of the records of the names of the undertenants has not revealed the name
Arrell. Although the name Arrell does not appear in the records of the Plantation of
Ulster, the name Averell is listed. The spelling is quite prevalent in the early records of
County Londonderry in the same areas as the spelling Arrell. There is no indication that
the spellings are related, but, because of the poor penmenship and the lack of the ability
to write in the 1600's, it is possible. We do not know. W.H. Maitland, in his History
of Magherfelt writes, "Robert Averall...is a direct descendant of the Averys who came
over at the time of the Plantation. (2)

Another record indicates the name Averall as a tenant of Sir Robert Heybome who was
listed as an undertaker. He had 1,800 acres called O'Carragan. The notation continues:



Upon this Proportion there is a Bawne of Clay and Stone, rough cast with Lyme,
the Walls not above 7 feet high and a small within it, being of Lime and Stone;
also near adjoining to the Bawne there are 10 little Houses standing together,
inhabited with British Families. 1 find planted and estated upon this Land, of
British Tenants,

Freeholders, 6 viz.,

1 having 660 acres.

2 having 240 acres le piece.

3 having 180 acres le piece. Total, 9 Tenants, who, with
Leases for years, 3 viz., their Undertakers, are able

1 having 180 acres. to make 26 Men with arms.

1 having 60 acres.
1 having 30 acres.



408



A footnote to this listing notes:

...Sir Robert, who was styled of Killaman, in the County of Tyrone, demised
(conveyed or leased) the balliboes of Derryherke and Aghauereske, on the 10th
of May 1620 to Thomas Averell, gent., John Lyford, cleric, and Michael
Lawrence, gent.... (3)

Early records show that the name Arroll, just as the name Averell, was recorded before
the name Arrell. The Public Record Office of Northern Ireland contains copies of the
original records dating from 1661 that show Thomas Arroll paying quarterly rents to Mr.
Margetson. The payment is shown as being made for being a tenant on land near
Armagh. Mr. Arroll paid rent for 29 acres and one rood. In 1663 the parcel was
described as 'one bamstead and Close eastward of the school house.' In 1676 the name
was spelled Erroll' in these records. (4)

We must also consider that in Northern Ireland, as in Scotland, the spelling 'Arrol' and
Arroir existed alongside those residents whose name was spelled Arrell'. Lavinia Arrol
of Cabragh was bom in 1825 and William Arrol of Cabragh was bom in 1826. David
Arroll of Cabragh was bom in 1882. Are these misspellings of the name Arrell or were
some 'Arrolls' or Arrells' undertenants from Scotland? Research has not revealed an
answer. As in Scotland, the spelling Arroll' and Arrell' does appear on occasion within
the same family, and sometimes with the same individual. Arrells bom in Cabragh
during this period include: William, bom 1822; William, bom 1824 and Mary Jane, bom
1827.

Some of the given names of the Arrells in Ulster were similiar to the early Scottish Arrell
names, i.e., Robert, Thomas, and William. On the other hand, common Ulster given
Arrell names as Samuel, Alexander and Joseph are not found among the early Scottish
Arrell names.

In the research paper, "The Arrol Family" by Donald A. Tod, 1930, the author makes
several comments in regard to the family name Arrell. He writes, "The Arrell's were
settled in the Highland portion of Dumbartonshire at an early date." The name Arral is
found as early as the 1300's in "An Account of the Family of Drumikill", which was
located in the Parish of Drymen, Stirlingshire, Scotland. Drymen is located on the
southeast side of Loch Lomond.

In George Black's, "The Sumames of Scotland", the family names of Arrol, Arrell, and
Arroll are linked etymologically to each other. The name is attributed as coming from
the place name Errol in Perthshire on the Tay estuary.

Edward MacLysaght's, "The Sumames of Ireland", has the following mention of the
name:



409



ARRELL (Oil Earghaill). This name, also called Harrell, is etymologically the
same as Farrell, it belongs to Donegal and Tyrone.

In fact, the name, with a very minor exception, is not found in Donegal or Tyrone. The
difficulty in tracing the origin of names is indicated by this statement in, "A Sf)ecial
Report on Surnames In Ireland"
by Robert E. Matheson:

It is impossible now, in some cases, to trace whether families are of Celtic or
English descent, as some of the English settlers took Irish names, and Irish
families were comjjelled to adopt Irish surnames.

The earliest published records showing the spelling of the name as ARRELL was found
in Scotland:

The Laing Charters, reference 641, makes note of John Arrell in Aroquybeg,
bom circa 1500, dated at Dumbarton, 14th February 1556. John Arrell, servitor
of the Laird Tullichewne, is mentioned in the Register of the Privy Council,
1569, and the Register Privy Council, 1619, notes that Duncan Arrell, cordiner
of Drumlegark, was put to the horn in 1619 with the MacFarlanes of Kepnock
for raiding. The Commissariot of Stirling (1607-1899) has records of John
Arrell, maltman, burgess of Stirling, 1646, and William Arrell, merchant, burgess
of Stirling, 1673.

The card file at the Society of Genealogists, London contains a card noting Elizabeth
Arrell, (daughter) of Thomas (Arrell), Reg. Penrith, St. Andrews, 23 May 1650.

The earliest published record of the spelling ARRELL in Ireland is in the Indexes to Irish
Wills, Volume V, which lists the will of Robert Arrell, Cabragh, Parish Termoneey, 1747.
Two additional early published records of wills are those of Sarah Arrell, widow of King
Street, 1802, and John Arrell of Cabragh, 1819. These references establish the present
day Arrells of Parish Termoneey in their native region as early as 1747.

The Arrells were small in number. In Matheson's "Special Report on Surnames in
Ireland", published in 1894, the name Arrell does not appear in the listing of 2,200 Irish
surnames that are printed in the table in the report.

Donald A. Tod also writes, "There is a small colony of Arrell's in County Londonderry
in Ulster." From the "Return of Owners of Lands in County Londonderry - 1873", Tod
lists the following:



410



Alexander Arrell, Cabragh, Knockloughrim, Castledawson, Co. Londonderry, 7
acres, 5 roods, 11 perches. Valuation £6. 10s.

Henry Arrell, Cabragh, Knockloughrim, Castledawson, 25 acres, 22 perches.

Valuation £ 18.0s

James Arrell, Cabragh, 7 acres, 3 roods, 1 1 perches. Valuation £6. 5s.

John Arrell, Cabragh, 44 acres, 1 rood, 9 perches. Valuation £25. 5s.

William Arrell, Cabragh, 23 acres, 2 roods, 21 perches. Valuation £ 13.0s

They are the ancestors of a great many Arrells living around the world today.

Descendents of these Arrells in County Londonderry have thrived and live m Bellaghy,
Ballymena, Cabragh, Cavan, Deerpark, Maghera and Rocktown. They reside, in general,
in a corridor from Maghera in Central County Londonderry, near the Sperrin Mountains,
to Belfast. The communities they live in include Castledawson, Magherafelt,
Toonesbridge, Portstewart, Randalstown and Antrim in County Londonderry and County
Antrim. The Arrells also live in Newtownabbey and Belfast in County Down.

In keeping with the rural heritage of County Londonderry, the earliest records show that
the Arrells were farmers. There are a number of Arrells who are farmers in Northern
Ireland today, including Arrells who continue to farm the early family homesteads. There
are also many Arrells in Northern Ireland in other occupations including mechanics,
forestry, construction, joiners and nursing. There is also an Arrell who has a business
selling Caravan's.



411



THE ARRELLS OF ULSTER

EARLIEST COMMUNITIES OF THE ARRELLS

IN NORTHERN IRELAND



As seen in the previous chapter, the earliest records of the Arrells in Northern Ireland
show them residing in County Londonderry, primarily in The Barony of Loughinshilin
which previously belonged to County Tyrone. In early times County Tyrone was added
to the County of Coleraine and together they formed the present County of Londonderry.
(5) The Arrells were found in a number of communities in the county, primarily the
communities of Cabragh, Castledawson, Knockloughrim, Maghera, and Magherafelt. A
brief overview of some of a few of these communities is given below:

CASTLEDAWSON

Arrells have lived in the South Londonderry village of Castledawson about as far back
as records are found. The history of the village indicates that it may well owe its
existence to the Plantation of Ulster. However, its identity and present day format is
primarily due to one family, the Dawsons, who not only planned the settlement, but
named the village.

The eight townslands of Mayola were granted by James I to Sir Thomas Philip only for
his sons to sell the lands to Thomas Dawson during the reign of Charles I in 1633.
Thomas Dawson was Deputy Commissioner of Ireland. His position in government gave
need for him to build a castle from which to administer. Joshua Dawson built a castle
in 1713 to replace a castle that suffered through years of rebellion and neglect. It was
through the building and existence of this castle by Joshua Dawson that Castle Dawson
was to become the name of the town.

Arthur Dawson was a Member of Parliament for County Londonderry and also Chief
Baron of the Excheqour. His taste for the finer things in life gave the house an unusual
finish and unique quality.

In 1824 the population of Castledawson totaled 600 and there was employment in a
healthy cotton factory and flour mill. However, the years 1845-46 were to herald a
distressing and bleak historical period. Although the potato blight that was to shroud
Ireland in a blanket of death was clear of the Castledawson area, by 1847 the complete
failure of the potato crop thoughout Ireland brought hardship, famine and inevitable death
on a scale never before witnessed to the sedate and tranquil lifestyle of the people in
Castledawson. Hundreds died in and around Castledawson itself

In 1840 the Presbyterian Manse was built in Castledawson.



413



In 1851 the population was 663 with 127 houses. However, the population dwindled
with the exodus of villagers to America and Australia. A search of the property records
in 1862 does not reveal any listing of Arrells.

World War 1 (1914-18) took its toll of many young men from all denominations in
Castledawson and the immediate area. The sadness of those years saw exceedingly hard
times for many villagers. In 1918 a plague of rodents savaged many crops and stored
food.

In 1926 the population was 469 with 102 houses.

During World War II, battle-scarred troops of the 82nd U.S. Airborne Division, taken out
of the line in Italy, were shipped to Northern Ireland. The bulk of this unit were billited
in the Cookstown and Castledawson area with their headquarters in Castledawson. In
1969 Lord Mayola became the Prime Minister of Northern Ireland. This event kept the
name of Castledawson on the front page of every newspaper and most news stations
through Europe. (6)



MAGHERAFELT

Magherafelt is a town located in the barony of Loughinsholin and the County of
Londonderry'. It is located 35 miles north northwest from Belfast and 38 miles east of
Londondeny.

Magherafelt was early on the property of the Salter's Company At the time of the
Plantation, the County of Londonderry, with the exception of a district about Limadav^,
was divided among the twelve London Companies - i.e. the Grocers, the Drapers, the
Fishmongers, the Clothmakers, the Ironmongers, the Haberdashers, the Merchant Tailors,
the Mercers, the Vintners, the Goldsmiths, the Skinners, and the Salters. (7) The Salters
built a village on the site of Magherafelt, but the Company sold out their estate under the
Land Purchase Act, and the inhabitants, with a few exceptions, bought out their houses.

Arrells appear to have been resident in Magherafelt as far back as there are records. In
1824 the village contained 221 houses. Up to about the year 1790, many of the houses
were built of wood. Most were shingled (wood instead of slates), but the only shingled
building remaining was the Presbyterian meeting-house that had been built in 1736.
Magherafelt was neither a commercial nor a manufacturing town. The only manufacture
was of linen. The shortage of water power was a disadvantage, there being nothing more
than an inconsiderate rivulet that barely afforded water power for a brewery that was
located a short distance from the town.

The inhabitants of Magherafelt were not very prone to amusement. They had, however,
a subscription pack of hounds that met twice weekly during season, and cockfighting that
took place on Easter Monday. (8)



414



KNOCKLOUGHRIM

The village of Knockloughrim has also been associated with the surname Airell as far
back as there are written records. The name means "Hill on the rim of the lough". It
was a village in a picturesque spot surrounded by high hills and stately trees. The lough
referred to has long disappeared thanks to progress and good farming husbandry.
However, Knockloughrim Hill stands 425 feet high with its crown of trees. It is a
conspicuous landmark to be seen for many miles.

John Bates (1803-1855), a Belfast solicitor and Treasurer of Belfast Corporation, was
wholly responsible for the building of the village. On a trip to Londonderry he passed
through the area. Being a man of great ingenuity, he determined to build a model village
at Knockloughrim. He wanted to make Knockloughrim into a market town, with the
whole scheme being financed by the Belfast Corporation. It has been said that he also
wanted to build a castle on the Hill, but either the funds ran out or he was found out.
He absconded to France but was brought back by the legal authorities. Without his
energy and skill Knockloughrim would never have existed as it is. He lived until the age
of 52 years.

The one great feature about Knockloughrim is the quarry stone used in the construction
of the walls, buildings and footpaths. Black quarry stone mined from the local quarry
and hewn out of solid rock by labourers during the Great Famine gave locals the going
rate of 2d per day (1824-1847).

There is a windmill stump that still exists in Knockloughrim. It is the remains of a
windmill that was built by William Palmer. In the 1860s Knockloughrim was unique in
still having a windmill. At the time of the Plantation, windmills were utilized by the
tenants to grind their com. The Knockloughrim windmill was a great success and loads
of both American and Indian com were drawn by horse and cart from Antrim, and more
recently Castledawson, for grinding. The windmill was put out of working order by the
"Great Wind" (circa 1890) when the four sails got out of control and wrecked the top
deck and machmery. Thereafter it was named "Palmers Folly". The local Orange lodge
met in the basement of the windmill and many local people still refer to it as "the Orange
Stump". It is also constructed of the black quarry stone.

A stone's throw from the windmill is a high stack chimney, still stmcturally sound, that
drew the smoke from a boiler of a steam engine to power the six berth scutch mill of the
McLean family. Steam driven scutch flax mills were very rare.

The village had a Creamery that closed in 1931 after the Milk War. Milk was bought
for 4 l/2d per gallon. This caused a strike and Belfast was without milk for one week.
Following this the price rose to 6d per gallon.

Other features of the town include Hamilton's Fort that was a disused Quaker's graveyard.



415



The graveyard is older than any in the area. The Knock House was built by John Bates
as a Hotel. It was given to the Church and sold in 1922 to the McLean family. The
High School was also built by John Bates in 1834 and was one of the first schools to
offer secondary education. A primary school now stands on the site. The local public
house, the Fireside Inn, was formerly the home of John Palmer. Constructed of Black
Quarry stone, it passed from Palmer to Convery to McGlade to Thackeray (of literary
fame) and then to Neill.

The Temperance Movement from America had a Temperance Hall built on the site of the
Methodist Church and was used as a Town Hall. Some time afterwords a Mission
Church was erected in Knockloughrim. It was capable of seating about 200 persons.

In the late 1800's a request was made to Alexander Elliott, a minister of Magherafelt, by
a number of families for Sunday Services. Mr. Elliott accordingly arranged for a service
to be held every Sunday afternoon in the Temperance Hall, Knockloughrim. At the next
circuit Mr. Elliott was appointed to the Circuit and arrangements were completed for the
establishment of regular Sunday Services in Knockloughrim.

In 1990 there was a Methodist Church, the Church of Ireland and a Presbyterian Church
in the village.

Knockloughrim was described in the Ireland Saturday Night of 1944 as "a walled patch
of grass - a very quiet village". (9)



CABRAGH

Some of the earliest records of the Arrells in Northern Ireland are associated with
Cabragh, in the Parish of Termoneey and in the barony of Louchinsholin, Londonderry.
Some of the townlands of this parish belonged to the Vintner's Company of London
during the 1600's. In the 1700's and 1800's the principal occupation of the inhabitants
of the parish was weaving linen and calico for the Belfast market. (10)



BELLAGHY

Bellaghy is also associated with the early Arrells. Bellaghy is in the Parish of
Ballyscullion, located in part in the barony of Louchinsholin, Londonderry. Bellaghy is
near Maghera, Castledawson, Knockloughrim, Magherafelt and Cabragh, all towns
associated with the Plantation of Ulster and the earliest records of Arrells.

On the Plantation of Ulster, the lands in the Parish of Ballyscullion were granted by
James I to the Irish Society, and by them transferred to the Vintners' Company of
London, who founded the castle and the town of Bellaghy. The church in Bellaghy was
built in 1794 on the site of a church that had originally been built in 1625. (1 1)



416



THE ARRELLS OF ULSTER
ADDITIONAL EARLY REFERENCES TO ARRELLS

Early References to the Arrells in the United States

The name Arrell (Catherine, Jacob and Joseph) appears briefly in New York in the
mid-1970's. David Arell or Arrell is listed as a Revolutionary Soldier in Virginia.
(Virginia State Library, H.J. Eckenrode, Archivist, Richmond: 1912.) He was a
Lieutenant in 1776-77 and a Captain in 1784. Captain David Arell's payroll of seven
men recruited into his company is listed in "Virgina Soldiers of 1776," compiled and
edited by Louis A. Burgess, Volume 111, Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., Baltimore:
1973. The compilation also lists approximately 20 additional names of sergeants,
corporals and privates who were in Captain Arell's company during the Revolutionary
War. David Arrel, Captain, is also listed in "Virginia Military Records" indexed by:
Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc., 1983, Officers of the State
Line During the Revolutionary Period . A Captain is listed as one who commanded a
company as a troop.

During the same period a John Arell is listed as a Captain in the Virginia State Navy.
He is later named in a listing of Officers of Marines "Who Have Received Land" in 1834.

The Pennsylvania Vital Records, Volume I, introduction by Don Yoder, Genealogical
Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore, 1983 lists the following:

Catherine Arrell, marriage license 10 May 1764 and Jesse Cary, p. 684.
Richard Arrell, marriage license Jul 1749 and Christian Davies, pp. 488 and 496.



Online LibraryJohn; Arrol ArrolThe Arrol, Arroll and Arrell families → online text (page 41 of 73)