John; Arrol Arrol.

The Arrol, Arroll and Arrell families online

. (page 8 of 73)
Online LibraryJohn; Arrol ArrolThe Arrol, Arroll and Arrell families → online text (page 8 of 73)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


high ceilings, wide windows, and from three or four rooms. The more fortunate tenants
lived in six or seven rooms.

The working-class, called the "artisan class' by the city fathers, had two rooms with a
kitchen and a bathroom. Some had a room and kitchen with either a bathroom that
mcluded a water-closet, or a water-closet alone. All of the nineteenth century tenements
had one or more "box-beds" built quite often into a recess in the walls of the sitting room
and always into the walls of the kitchen. Before the turn of the century the sanitary
facilities were outdoors in a communal "privy" in their constricted backyards. Later
tenements would have water-closets that were shared by the occupants of more than one
landing, and in many cases by all the inhabitants of the building. Most certainly the
facilities were smelly, damp and dirty. The population density in Glasgow was as high
as 528 persons to the acre. This was more than anywhere else in all of Great Britain.
(19). In 1861 over 63 percent of the total population of the city lived at a density of
more than two persons to a room. Many lived 3 and 4 to a room. (20)

The principal source of heating was the open coal-burning range that let in to the
chimney breast in the kitchen wall. This had a fire-box of about one cubic foot capacity,
lined on three sides with fire-brick and fronted by vertical cast iron bars, at the top of
which was a horizontal steel cross-bar that pivoted outwards and downwards to
accommodate the larger pots. At the lower front of the fire-box was a small steel
platform, or "hob", and beneath the box was a capacious ash-pan.



49



The cooking oven was at one side of the fire-box and was heated by an arrangement of
the draught fiues. This type kitchen range was the pride of the Glasgow house-wives.
(21)

The city of Glasgow is divided into a number of districts. Some of these districts, such
as Bridgeton, where many Arrols lived, were at one time villages in their own right.
Arrols who lived in Bridgeton included James Arrol, bom in 1858 in Bridgeton. He
married Agnes Stobo in Dennistoun in 1878. Their son, James Stobo Arrol, married his
cousin Margaret Stobo Arrol. This couple raised a large family on Montgomery Street
and then on Nuneaton Street in Bridgeton. They lived across the street from Sir William
Arrol's engineering works. Many descendents of this family now reside in New Zealand,
Australia, and in Glasgow, Scotland. Another Arrol family lived on Nuneaton Street in
Bridgeton. This was John Hodgart Arrol and his wife Mary Brodie. This couple was
married in Bridgeton and their first child, Thomas Brodie Arrol, was bom at 301
Nuneaton Street in 1872. William Arrol, who was married to Ellen Stevenson in 1855,
raised a family of five children at 4 Little Street in Bridgeton in the 1860's. James Arrol,
nephew of Sir William Arrol, was bom in Bridgeton in 1878.

Regardless of whether or not a district of Glasgow was originally a village, each district
usually generated a great deal of loyalty. Dennistoun, in particular, generated this loyalty
so much so that the Arrols of Dennistoun, when asked where they come from, would not
say "Glasgow", but would reply as if there were only one possible answer, "Dennistoun!"
Dennistoun is perhaps the most "individual" district in all of Glasgow. (22)

Walter Provan Arrol, who was employed by the Ministry of Labour, was bom on
Statefield Street in Dennistoun in 1894. His brother, William Arrol, who had a bacon
and smoked ham business, was bom in Dennistoun in 1898. They were the sons of
William Arrol, a blacksmith, who was married to Agnes Provan in Dennistoun in 1887.
Walter Arrol, an ironforger, was bom in 1877 in Dennistoun and married Robina
Hazeldine. Their son, Robert Hazeldine Arrol, was bom in Dennistoun in 1904. John
Arrol, bom 1 886 in Springbum, married Elizabeth Margaret Stewart at Blackfriar's Manse
in Dennistoun in 1907. John was later taken prisoner during World War I when he was
serving as a machine gunner in France. Alice Arrol, daughter of James Arrol of Paisley,
and a niece of Sir William Arrol, was bom in 1876 in Dennistoun. Alice married Dr.
James Philip. Her younger brother and sister, Robert Alexander Arrol and Ellen Young
Arrol, were bom on Baltic Street in Bridgeton in the early 1880's.

The nearby districts of Camlachie and Parkhead was the home of Walter Arroll and
Margaret Haddow who were married in 1843. Their children and grandchildren were
raised in Camlachie through the 1920's. Descendents of this family now live in
Lancashire, England. The family of John Hodgart Arrol and Mary Brodie lived at 309
London Road, Camlachie, with three of their eldest children being bom in the district in
the 1870's.



50



In Glasgow there was rivalry between the East Enders and West Enders, but this was not
nearly as strong as the "differences" felt between the South Siders and North Siders. On
the south side of the Clyde a number of Arrols and Arrolls called Govan home. Govan
was the fifth largest city in Scotland before being absorbed by Glasgow in 1912. The
Govan Old Fair and the Govan Weavers' Society held their annual events in June of each
year. These events, held on the same day, brought out the entire population of Glasgow.
During the parades the Govan Weavers, wearing their sashes, aprons and chains of office,
marched along the main street. They carried with them the Sheep's Head (the stuffed
head of a large ram) which was part of their insignia. The northern boundiy of Govan
consisted almost entirely of shipbuilding yards. Most members of the Govan Weavers
in more recent years were not weavers at all, but were connected with the shipbuilding
industry or other trades. (23)

William Arrol married Mary Robertson in Govan Church m 1874. George Arroll, bom
in 1860, resided in Govan through 1933. His son, Alfred James Arrol, a pastry baker,
married Joanna Smith Stroner, a confectionery worker, in Govan in 1928. Their daughter,
Jannette Esther Birse Arroll, was bom in Govan in 1944. William Brodick Hazeldine
Arrol, bom 1911, married Grace Robson. This family, along with their children, lived
in Govan in the 1950's.

Across the river, on the north side of the Clyde, are located two of the most independent
districts, Maryhill and Springbum. Both are former villages. William Arroll, who
married Sarah Ann McMeekin in 1849, lived in the general area of Springbum, including
the districts of Old Monkland, Maryhill and Possilpark. This family had a number of
children and grandchildren who were employed in the locomotive works in Springbum
at the turn of the century. They resided in either Springbum or the surrounding districts,
including Maryhill, Old Monkland, Possilpark and St. Rollox. There are many
descendents of this family now living in Canada, the United States and in areas around
Glasgow. Archibald Eraser Graham Arroll was bom in Maryhill in 1894, the son of
Archibald Arroll and Margaret Kinghom. Robert Arrol, who was married to Elizabeth
Ruddy in 1910, lived in St. Rollox. Robert was a carter on the docks of Glasgow. This
couple had a number of children who were bom in St. Rollox when the family resided
there in the 1910-1920 period. In addition to Scotland, this family has many descendents
living in England and in the United States.

Another district that Arrols called home in the the late 1800's and early 1900's was
Calton. Calton was a burgh from 1817 and in 1844 attempted to annex Bridgeton,
thereby causing a great deal of rivalry between the two areas in the mid 1800's. The
youngest three children of John Stobo Arrol and Margaret Stobo Arrol were bom in
Calton in the late 1920's and early 1930's.

At least three Arrols have been a Burgess of the City of Glasgow. From 1600 a license
was required to trade in the City of Glasgow. The granting of such a license indicated
that the grantee had the necessary financial backing to engage in such an enterprise. The

FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY
35 NORTH WEST TEMPLE
0058652 ^' SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH 84150



City Chambers of the City of Glasgow has the records on file of those who are burgesses.
These records are summarized in the table above.

This review of the districts of Glasgow and a few of the Arrol and Arroll families who
lived in these districts offers only a snapshot of this great city and those Arrols and
Arrolls who called Glasgow their home in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Arrols and

ARROL BURGESSES OF THE CITY OF GLASGOW



DATE


NAME


OCCUPATION


DESIGNATION


BY WHAT








MEANS


15 Aug


James Arrol


Hammerman


Engineer-Dalmar-


At Far Hand


1892






nock Iron Works


(a)


14 Feb










1906


Thomas Arrol


Hammerman


Engineer


By His Father


14 Feb


32 Falklands






(b)


1906


Mansions










William Arrol


Hammerman


Engineer


By His Father




47 Kelvinside






(b)




Gardens









(a) At Far Hand - means he was the first "Arrol' to have a burgess,

i. e. license to trade,
(b) By His Father - means that the burgess was obtained from their
father.

Arrolls have lived, and still live, in all parts of this vast city. Among other districts
where Arrols and Arrolls have lived include, Bishopbriggs, Partick, Kinning Park,
Townhead, Alderston, Dalmamock, Cowcaddens, Hutchesontown, Govanhill, and
Pollokshields.:

Biggar

"London's big, but Biggar's Biggar." This has been the long standing joke in this small
town southeast of Glasgow in Lanarkshire. (24) Biggar played an important part in
Scottish history during the years 1660 and 1688 - the period of the Covenant. Every one
of the twelve ministers of Biggar resigned rather than submit to the demand for
conformity to Prelacy. These ministers were imprisoned and persecuted for their beliefs.
One of the ministers died a martyr's death. (25) Biggar is also known as the home of
William Gladstone, Prime Minister and one of the most prominent figures in the political
history of the Victorian era of the United Kingdom. (26) Biggar features to an extent in
the fascinating life of Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots. One of the four young Maries who
was an attendant to Mary Queen of Scots was Mary Fleming. Mary Fleming was of
royal ancestry. James IV was her grandfather and her mother was probably Lady Agnes



52



Stewart, the Countess of Bothwell. Her home was the Fleming seat at Boghall Castle,
Biggar. Only a few crumbling ruins in a cow pasture stand testament to what was once
an important castle at the strategic point where the valleys of Tweed and Clyde all but
join. A link with the family remains in Biggar in the town's annual March Riding
Celebration with a young girl, known as the Fleming Queen, chosen to preside over the
festivities. The last church to be built in Scotland before the Reformation also stands in
Biggar. It is largely unchanged since those days. Biggar was also the home of George
Arrol, bom 1860, and Mary Anderson in the 1890's. Their grandson, William Wilson
Arrol, was bom in Biggar m 1920. In 1991 Sheila Arrol and her husband, William Conn,
operated a mens and ladies goods shop in the town of Biggar.

Wishaw and Motherwell

Wishaw and Motherwell in the Parish of Cambusnethan have been home to a number of
Arrol households. Walter Arrol (originally spelled Errol) was bom in Glasgow in 1878
and he married on the 3rd of December 1897 to Robina Hazeldine. Their first two
children were bom in Glasgow. However, shortly before the birth of their third child,
Walter, on the 23rd of April 1902, the family relocated to Wishaw. The family had five
more children, all bom in the two communities of Wishaw and Motherwell and in the
surroundmg communities in the parishes of Cambusnethan and Dalziel. Many of these
children were married in Wishaw and raised their families in this area. Although a
number of descendents of Walter Arroland Robina Hazeldine emigrated to Canada and
to England, there are still some of their descendents remaining in the area.

The name Wishaw comes from schaw, a wood. Wishaw was well wooded. Travelers
going to Coalness had to pass through this wooded area and this area came to be known
as via schaw or wi-shaw. Prior to 1839 the slopes of the Clyde valley were still covered
with fmit farms and were well wooded. The neighboring town of Motherwell originally
took its name from a pre-Reformation healing well, now the Carflin Grotto. The
communities of Wishaw and Motherwell, which amalgamated in 1920, lie about 14 1/2
miles southeast of Glasgow.

The first heavy industry in Wishaw was the Coltness Iron Works, founded in 1839. The
chief factor in the physical development of the area was the mining of coal. There was
a major colliery, Kingshill No. 1, located in the parish of Cambusnethan and this resulted
in major industry being attracted to the area. The first railway between Glasgow and
Carlisle was completed in 1848 and passed through the parish just to the west of Wishaw.
With the coming of the railway, new industries sprang into existence alongside it. Blast
fumaces for iron smelting and factories for the manufacture of iron-later steel-were the
dominant features In 1880 a loop railway line was opened, bringing the railway to
Wishaw itself. In 1881, sixty -one daily trains arrived at and left from the two stations
in Wishaw.

When the Arrols first located in the area at the beginning of the 20th century, Wishaw
and Motherwell were important centers for coal, iron, and the steel trades. However, the



53



communities suffered severely in the depression between the two world wars. The Arrols
who lived in Wishaw and Motherwell were involved in such occupations as iron forgers,
mine surveyors, confectionery makers, clock manufacturers, truck drivers and bus drivers.
Walter Arrol, bom in Wishaw in 1927, his brother, Robert Hazeldine Arrol, who was
bom in Wishaw in 1931, and their cousin, Walter Arrol, bom in Motherwell in 1927,
recall Robert driving a two-wheel "wee" horse cart for Bell's Bakery in Wishaw when
Robert was a youth. He picked up the newly baked goods and drove the cart up a steep
hill several times a day to deliver the cakes.

In recent years the basic industries have been significantly reduced. Following the
depression of the 1930's, Wishaw never recovered its place as an industrial town. There
were some engineering works, confectionery manufacturers, and knitting factories
remaining in the late 1980's, but basic industry was at a much reduced level. (27)

Many Arrols and Arrols migrated in the 1600's and 1700's from Stirlingshire to
Helensburgh. In the 1800's they migrated to Glasgow and the areas adjacent to Glasgow.
Other Arrols and Arrolls migrated directly from the glens near Loch Lomond (where
records show that the Arrols resided from the 1300's through the 1600's) directly to
Renfrewshire, including the communities of Johnstone, Kilbarchin, Houston and Paisley.
In the late 1700's and early 1800's there were a number of Arrol and Arroll families
residing in Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire as well as Dumbartonshire. The microfiche
records of the Church of the Latter Day Saints list about 50 names in Dumbartonshire and
Renfrewshire for births and marriages during the approximate period 1710 to 1855.
There are 140 names listed for Lanarkshire for births and marriages in these records for
the same period.



54



CHAPTER IV
OCCUPATIONS AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY



The occupations of the Axrols and Arrolls during the 18th and early part of the 19th
century are easily identified from a study of the marriage, birth and death certificates of
the period. Durmg this time period there were Arrols and Arrolls working in the growing
industrial cities of Paisley and Glasgow and the surrounding urban areas. They were
involved in the textile industry, in the shipbuilding and shipping industries, in the coal
mines, in automobile production, as engineers, and in various professional and artistic
capacities.

Paisley and Glasgow were heavily involved in the textile industry. Paisley was the shawl
capital of the world and Glasgow was primarily a cotton town until the middle of the
nineteenth century. In support of the cotton mills a number of firms in the area began
building steam engines of various kinds for the textile mdustry. A succession of financial
crises, and ultimately the American Civil War, finished the cotton industry for Scotland.
The gaps in activity were quickly filled by metal and engineering enterprises.

From their beginning, engines attracted Scottish industrialists. The application of steam
fKJwer to ships provided a great opportunity for the industrialists. This same period saw
steel take the place of iron for heavy structures. Glasgow became a successful center of
heavy engineering with emphasis on locomotive manufacturing and shipbuilding.

Textiles

There was immense expansion in the linen and cotton textile industry between 1780 and
1860 and the industry continued strong until the 1860's. Cotton-spinning, which had been
introduced in the 1780's, had grown so rapidly that in Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire,
where most of the cotton-mills had been built, it completely ousted linen. In Scotland's
economy the importance of cotton was secondary only to farming. (1)

All through the 1 800's and into the 1 900's there were Arrols and Arrolls employed in the
textile industry. Perhaps 50 to 60 percent of the Arrols and Arrolls residing in
Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire in the early and mid-1800's were involved in the textile
industry. Some of those participating in the industry were: John Arrol, bom 29 April
1781 in the Parish of Row (Rhu), a muslin weaver in the 1850's; James Arrol, bom 8
Febmary 1788, a weaver in Kirkintilloch in the early 1800's; Thomas Arrol, bom circa
1820/30, a warper in 1874 in Glasgow; James Arrol, bom circa 1822/31, a weaving
factory beamer in mid to late 1800's in Glasgow; William Arrol bom 1827/30 in
Kirkintilloch, a cotton weaver in the 1850's; William Arrol (later Sir William Arrol), bom
13 February 1839, a thread boy, or piecer, in Johnstone at the age of ten, and a bobbin
maker in Coats's Thread Manufactory in 1815 in Paisley; Elizabeth Withers Arrol, bom
circa 1852, a thread winder in 1874 in Glasgow; Margaret Buchanan Arrol, bom circa



55



1856/58,3 cotton loom weaver; Elizabeth "Lizzie" Ruddy Airol, bom circa 1890, a cotton
millworker in 1910 in Glasgow, and Robert Arrol, bom 1 February 1911, a works
manager of a textile factory in Paisley, 1935-1976.

As there were so many Arrol and Arrolls involved in the textile industry, some comments
in regard to weavers made by the author of Kirkintilloch - Town and Parish may be in
order. "Weavers have always been noted throughout Scotland for their intelligence,
possibly more than those of any other occupation; eager for knowledge, great
readers— especially of the newspapers— and keen politicians... It has been stated that
weavers make the best soldiers'; first, because they were well set up' and, second,
because they had not been spoiled by eating too much beef This means that a weavers
occupation did not tend to make him stoop like that of a shoemaker or tailor; neither did
it stiffen his limbs by hard or heavy manual labour, such as a blacksmith or ploughman.
Thus when weavers entered the ranks they were well set up,' and stood straight.

That weavers were better adapted for soldiers because of not eating too much beef must
be a puzzle to an Englishman, and no doubt to young Scotsmen of the present day. It
just means that weavers used more oatmeal than beef, and consequently, were more spry'
and sprightly, and took up their drill quicker and better than men who were spoiled by
eating too much beef

And there is no mystery about it. Oatmeal was the staple food of the Scottish people for
hundreds of years, and it may almost be said that they maintained their independence by
its means. ..our forefathers were wise men: they despised roast beef, stuck to oatmeal, and
fought all their battles by its means from Bannockbum right onwards." (2)

Coal Mining

Coal has been "worked" in Scotland since the twelfth century. Small mines had been
opened in various parts of Glasgow by the beginning of the eighteenth century... (3) By
1778 there were ten collieries in the vicinity of the city... The coal fields of Old
Monkland and New Monkland were developed twelve miles east of the city, and it was
to facilitate a plentiful supply of coal from this area that the Monkland Canal, completed
in 1790, was built. By the middle of the nineteenth century a million tons of coal were
coming into Glasgow annually. (4)

The Arrols were employed in this basic industry. Charles Arrol, bom 22 January 1759,
was a collier in Quarrelton Pits, near where now is Johnstone Railway Station. Sir
Robert Purvis, in his biography of Sir William Arrol writes, "During the next two
generations some of the Arrol family continued to work as colliers in the same district.
A great trial befell them, in one of those coal-pit accidents which are still so common in
our own days... two of Sir William's boy-uncles were at work with others in the old Gig
Pit, when suddenly it was flooded ("drowned" as the Scottish colliers call it) from the
abandoned workings of a still older pit. The two boys with the instinct of
self-preservation crept, in the darkness, on hands and knees up an incline as far as they



56



were able. Fortunately the place they had reached was above the highest level of the
rising flood. There for ten days and eleven nights, entombed alive, without food or light',
with only dirty water to drink, the two boys endured (a great deal). ..they. ..signalled
continually by (knocking) as loud as they could ... When at last they were restored to
light and life, they found that all their comrades in the pit were dead." (5)

William Arrol, bom circa 1 827/30 in Kirkintilloch, was married to Sarah Ann McMeekin,
a woman from County Antrim, Northern Ireland. He was a coal miner in Old Monkland
in the 1850/60 period. The family raised several children in Old Monkland. /\jiother
major coal mining area in the mid- 19th century was the burgh of Lochgelly in Fife. The
town owes its prosperity to coal. Due to renovations undertaken by the National Coal
Board, the unprepossessing miner's rows have been replaced by modem housing and
many of the hideous scars of the mining era have been removed and landscaped. Two
Arrols are known to have been coal miners in the Lochgelly area: 1) George Arrol, who
was bom in 1864; and 2) William Arrol, his nephew, who was bom in 1888. William
married Jane Bogie of Lochgelly.

Engineering

The rise of heavy industry in Glasgow is reflected in the various occupations of the
Arrol/Arrolls. As a result of the mechanization of the textile industry, and stimulated by
the development of the steamship from 1812 onwards, mechanical engineering rose into
prominence in Glasgow. The steam engine industry developed in Glasgow initially
because of the power requirements of the collieries and textile factories. Simultaneously,
with the application of iron to shipbuilding, came the enormous demand for the metal
created by railway development. The railways not only stimulated the iron industry, but
brought a new branch of mechanical engineering to Glasgow - locomotive construction.
By the second half of the nineteenth century, Glasgow was dominant in both shipbuilding
and locomotive manufacture. (6)

William Arrol, a civil engineer, was known as "the most famous Glasgow engineer during
the last decades of the nineteenth century." (7) He founded the firm "Sir William Arrol
and Company" in 1868. This firm was one of Scotland's oldest and most famous
engineering enterprises when it closed in July of 1986. The firm built bridges, power
stations, and cranes all over the world. These included the Firth of Forth Railway Bridge,
the Tay Bridge and the Tower Bridge in London. Willam Arrol was knighted by Queen
Victoria for the building of the Forth Bridge. (8)

Sir William Arrol's brother, James Arrol, bom 1841, was a seagoing engineer but gave
that up to go into business with Sir William. Sir William Arrol's nephew, Thomas Arrol,
bom 1872, was in charge of the Engineering Shop at Dalmamock Works. James Arrol's
son, William Arrol, bom 1874, was a mechanical engineer. William Arrol's son,
Alexander, bom 1908, was also a mechanical engineer. Alexander's two sons in turn
were both engineers. Stuart Arrol, bom 1 947, was a mechanical engineer and his brother,
Martin, bom 1950, was a civil engineer. William J. Arrol, bom circa 1920's, a Ph.D.,



57



was in charge of Central Research for Joseph Lucas Ltd., Warwickshire, England in the
1960's.



Online LibraryJohn; Arrol ArrolThe Arrol, Arroll and Arrell families → online text (page 8 of 73)