John B. Stoll.

History of the Indiana democracy, 1816-1916 online

. (page 135 of 168)
Online LibraryJohn B. StollHistory of the Indiana democracy, 1816-1916 → online text (page 135 of 168)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


marshal of the town of Hope. Later he served as local statistician for the United States Agricul-
tural Bureau. For the past seventeen years he has been carrying on a large business in live stock.

In the various positions to which he has been called Mr. Cox has served conscientiously and
faithfully, and has at all times consistently stood for the principles of Democracy.



JUDGE JOHN E. COX

In the legal profession of Indiana the name of Judge
John E. Cox is recognized as that of a leader; while his de-
cisions from the bench have won for him an enviable repu-
tation for strict integrity and broad knowledge of judicial
procedure.

Judge Cox is a true son of Vigo county, born within its
borders and educated in the public schools of Terre Haute,
graduating from the high school of that city in the year 1886.
In the same year he entered DePauw University for work in
the higher branches, and three years later was graduated
from that institution. During his years in college, he also
read law with the firm of Smiley & Neff, and later entered
the office of I. N. Pierce of Terre Haute. In 1889 he was ad-
mitted to the bar of Vigo county and entered upon the active
practice of the law, later forming a partnership with Ora D.
Davis. His ability as a jurist soon became apparent, and his
loyalty to the interests of his clients won for him a rapidly
increasing and lucrative practice.

In the year 1906 John E. Cox was elected to the position
of judge of the Superior Court. He assumed the duties of
that office with the beginning of the following year and at the expiration of his term of four years
was re-elected, his conscientious zeal in the conduct of the affairs of the public having won for him
an enviable place in the esteem of the people.

Judge Cox retired from the bench January 1, 1915, and again began the practice of law, form-
ing a partnership with Henry Adamson, the firm name being Cox & Adamson. Business came to such
an extent that in 1917 T. P. Gallagher became the junior member of the firm, with offices in the
Star Building.

In the campaign of 1918 Judge Cox again became a candidate for judge of the Superior Court
of Vigo county against his wishes, being drafted by his party, and was easily elected. He again went
on the bench January 1, 1919, for a term of four years.

Politically, Judge Cox has stood firmly for the principles promulgated by Jefferson, and has
consistently labored for the furtherance of the Democratic cause. He was one of the original or-
ganizers of the Jackson Club in 1884, a unique organization which did excellent work for the cause
of Democracy between the years 1884 and 1900, changing uniforms each campaign, but invariably
distinguished by the carrying of hickory canes by its members. During the campaigns of 1900 and
1902 he served as county Democratic chairman.

During his years in college Judge Cox became affiliated %vith the Greek letter fraternity Delta Tau.
He is an Elk and belongs to a number of orders.

Judge Cox's hobbies are farming and pure bred cattle, hogs, sheep and bird dogs.




( 875 )



HISTORY INDIANA DEMOCRACY — 1816-191 G

JABEZ THOMAS COX

Holding high rank among the leaders of Indiana Democracy is Judge Jabez Thomas Cox, of Peru.
He is a native of Clinton county, Ohio, but was brought by his parents to Indiana in the year 1850, at
which time they located in Hamilton county. He attended the public schools, Westfield Academy and
later received his legal training at Noblesville and Tipton.

In the year 1864 he enlisted in Company B, 136th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until
his regiment was mustered out. In 1867 was solemnized his marriage to Miss Jennie Price, of Tipton,
and in 1875 their home was established at Hutchinson, Kansas. Four years later they emigrated to
Colorado, where Mrs. Cox was called from his side by death. During his residence in Kansas he was
the Democratic candidate for attorney-general and ran more that 30,000 votes ahead of the Democratic
candidate for governor of that state. Returning to Peru in 1883 he resumed his practice, and four
years later became a member of the state legislature. In 1884 he was married to Miss Elizabeth
Meinhardt, of Peru, who died in 1893. In 1890 he was elected judge of the circuit court of Miami
county for a term of six years, and in 1896 was re-elected to that oflSce.

The present Mrs. Cox, to whom he was married July 9, 1905, was formerly Miss Addie Alleman
of Huntington.

He has two children living: Edward E. Cox, postmaster at Hartford City and editor and proprietor
of the News and Telegram, and Mary Elizabeth Cox, who is a kindergarten teacher at Indianapolis.



JAMES COX

James Cox was born on the 8th of October, 1837. He was a native Hoosier. Early in life he
was married to Mary Engle and they were the parents of John E. Cox, who was afterwards elected
judge in Vigo county. James Cox was one of the best known men and members of the Democratic
party in the early days of Vigo county.

He spent his boyhood in Parke county, attending the district schools of the locality, moving
later in life to Vigo county, where he continued to reside.

He was elected and served a term as treasurer in his county. During his incumbency of his
office — in fact, prior to his election — because of his scrupulous business methods he became known
as "Honest Uncle Jimmy Cox," a title which went with him through his entire life.



WILLIAM ELIJAH COX

William Elijah Cox is one of the most conspicuous political figures in
the state of Indiana, holding public offices of importance from the time he
began practicing law. His most conspicuous services were as prosecuting
attorney of the 57th Judicial District composed of DuBois, Pike and Gibson
counties, and for 12 years in the Congress. He was born on a farm near
Birdseye, DuBois county, September 6, 1861. His father being James Cox.
He was one of eleven children, four boys and seven girls, he being the sev-
enth child. He attended the country school and entered the normal school
for a while, retiring to teach in 1880. He taught six years in a country
school and graduated in the law department of Lebanon, Tennessee, in June,
1887, taking a post-graduate course in law at the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, which he completed in June, 1889.

He immediately began the practice of law at Jasper, the county seat
of DuBois county, this being his native county. He was elected prosecuting
attorney in 1892 and re-elected again in 1894 and 1896. He was elected
district chairman of the third congressional district in 1898 and 1900, serving through these four
years as a member of the State Central Committee. He was first elected to Congress in 1906, en-
tered the sixtieth congress and was re-elected for five successive terms thereafter, serving full six
terms or 12 years from the third congressional district of Indiana.

As prosecuting attorney many important cases which were of far more than local interest were
handled by him, and handled successfully. The most noted cases which he conducted were against
what were known as the "White Caps," who predominated in that part of the state. He succeeded
in securing the conviction of the first "White Caps" who were prosecuted and found guilty in Indi-




HISTORY INDIANA DEMOCRACY — 1816-191 fj

ana, and broke up the organization by sending a large number of them to the penitentiary. During
his public life he was very prominent in the councils of his party in the state and nation and became
a leader of much strength in his party councils, on congressional committees and in other activities
connected with his position as congressman. Throughout the state he was generally known as
"Lige" Cox.

HON. MILLARD FILLMORE COX

A history of the Democracy of Indiana would be iijcomplete were honorable mention not made
of Judge Millard Fillmore Cox, a man of remarkable brilliance of intellect, unusual attainments and
loyal service to the state.

Judge Cox was born on a farm in Hamilton county, Indiana, and attended the common and high
schools of Hamilton and Tipton counties. Having completed his school work he came to Indianap-
olis and entered the law offices of Buel & Bartholomew, and here, under their tutelage, he studied
for the legal profession; later was admitted to the bar of Marion county and entered into practice.
From 1885 to 1889 he served as deputy reporter of the supreme court of Indiana under Hon. John
W. Kern, and the following year was elected judge of the criminal court of Marion county for a
four-year term. He was secretary and legal adviser of the state board of accounts from its crea-
tion until his death, on the 16th day of March, 1914. He was also for some time chief editorial
writer for the Indianapolis Sentinel and was director of the press bureau of the Democratic state
committee. He was also widely known as the author of "The Legionaries," a romance of Morgan's
raid. He was an active member of the Fourth Presbyterian church.



OTTO LORENZO COYLE

Otto Lorenzo Coyle, son of Thomas J. and Jessie (Green) Coyle, was
born in Shelby county, November 11, 1878, his parents having been born
in the same county and having always lived there. He was reared on the
farm and was educated in the common schools and the township high
school, from which he graduated in 1896. He attended the Central Normal
College at Danville, where he graduated as a bachelor of science in 1889.
Later he took a post-graduate course at the Northern Indiana Normal Uni-
versity at Valparaiso, completing this course in 1900.

He taught school and for six years was principal of the high schools.
He quit teaching to become deputy clerk of the Shelby county court, in
which place he served four years, from 1906 to 1911. In the latter year he
became clerk and served in that office until 1915. While serving as clerk he
was also Democratic county chairman, and one of the most efficient who
ever headed the organization.

He was always most active in all farmers' organizations and served as
both secretary and chairman of the Farmers' Agricultural Institute of Shelby county, as well as
general superintendent of the Shelby County Fair Association for three years.

He always kept a lively interest in educational affairs and served as a member of the township
board of education after retiring as a teacher and as principal. After retiring from the office of
county clerk he devoted his attention to his extensive farming interests and attending to his city
properties, owning one of the finest farms in Shelby county, located at the edge cf the city of
Shelbyville.

CHAS. C. CRAMPTON, M. D.

Dr. Charles C. Crampton, son of A. B. Crampton, was born in Logansport on the 15th of June,
1872, and accompanied his parents to Delphi in 1879. He attended the public schools of Logansport
and Delphi, and spent one year at Notre Dame. In 1891 he graduated from the pharmacy depart-
ment of Purdue University, following which he took a two years' course in the College of Physi-
cians and Surgeons, Chicago, and received a diploma from the Kentucky School of Medicine in
Louisville in 1893. At the age of twenty-one he was appointed pension examiner under Cleveland,
the youngest person on record to hold this position, and honored by receiving the appointment di-




HISTORY INDIANA DEMOCRACY



19 1



rect from the President. He is now president of ttie C. I. & L. Railway Surgeons' Association and is
their local surgeon ; president of the county medical society, president city board of health, member
various other societies and Masonic and K. of P. lodges.



JOHN WILLIAM CRAVENS

John William Cravens, of Bloomington, Indiana, is a son of William
Reece and Sarah Ruth (Bray) Cravens, and was bom on a farm in the south-
ern part of Hendricks county, Indiana, October 1, 1864. He was married
October 1, 1891, to Miss Emma Lucille Rrueger, who died February 12, 1898.
To this union was born a daughter. Miss Ruth Ralston Cravens.

Mr. Cravens was educated in the country schools, Danville High School,
Central Normal College (B. S. 1884), and Indiana University (A. B. 1897).
While attending the country school he worked on the farm; while attending
the high school he clerked in his father's store; while attending normal col-
lege he was bookkeeper for the First National Bank; and while attending
Indiana University he was registrar of that institution.

Mr. Cravens was editor of the Danville Gazette, 1884-85; superintendent
Monroe county schools, 1887-90; secretary Monroe county Democratic cen-
tral committee, 1886-90; chairman, 1890-94; clerk Monroe county court,
1890-94; editor Bloomington World, 1894-1906; registrar, Indiana University,
-1914; secretary of Indiana University, 1914; member of Indiana legislature, 1899-1903; presi-
dential elector on state Democratic ticket, 1912 ; vice-president National Association of Collegiate Reg-
istrars, 1912; president, 1913; member of First Presbyterian church and for ten years superintendent
of the Sabbath-school and president of the board of deacons; member of Phi Gamma Delta, Masons,
Knights of Pythias, Odd Fellows and Elks.




JOSEPH MARSHALL CRAVENS

Among the loyal workers for the success of the Democratic party in Indiana, perhaps none have
worked more faithfully than has Joseph Marshall Cravens, of Madison, and to his efforts the success of
the organization in Jefferson county is largely due.

Mr. Cravens was born in this state on the 9th day of February, 1859, and attended the public
schools of his district, later continuing his studies at Wabash College, from which he graduated with
the class of 1882. Returning from college, Mr. Cravens engaged in the pursuit of agriculture and he
has since continued in this, his chosen- vocation. He has taken an active interest in political affairs and
also in all movements for the development and progress of the community in which he resides. In the
fall of 1902 he was elected to represent Jefferson county in the state legislature, and with such zeal
and intelligence did he discharge the duties entrusted to him that he was returned to the assemblies of
1905, 1907, 1911 and 1913.



J. N. GULP

James N. Culp, postmaster at North Vernon, was born in Bartholomew county, October 28,
1877. At an early age he entered the field of journalism and in 1901 purchased the Verno7i Jour-
nal. After conducting this paper successfully for several years during which time the politics of
the paper was changed to the Democratic faith, Mr. Culp purchased the North Vernon Sun and for
eight years was its editor. In July, 1913, however, he relinquished his newspaper business to be-
come postmaster of North Vernon and to this work he has since devoted his energies with con-
scientious zeal. He is also chairman of the county library board and the secretary of the Jennings
county chapter of the American Red Cross.

Mrs. Culp was formerly Miss Myra A. Hinchman, the daughter of Henry Hinchman, one of the
best known citizens in Jennings county.



(878)



HISTORY INDIANA DEMOCRACY — 1816-1910

J. C. CUMMINS

Well known to the traveling public of eastern Indiana for many years, and later a familiar fig-
ure in political and municipal affairs of his home community, J. C. Cummins of Middletown needs
no introduction to those of our readers living in that section of the state.

Mr. Cummins was born on March 4, 1878, and received his schooling in the public schools of
Middletown. On the 4th day of July, 1910, he was united in marriage to Miss Ethel May Critten-
berger and established his home in this city.

For seventeen years Mr. Cummins was local freight and ticket agent for the Pennsylvania Rail-
way Company, working at various points on the Richmond division of the line. In the year 1912 he
became a member of the city council. For a time he also was connected with the township advisory
board. In the year 1914 he was nominated for the position of township trustee. In the years 1911
and 1914 he was delegate to the state Democratic convention.

GEORGE F. R. CUMMEROW

An active party worker and for many years a leading attorney at law, practicing in Ft. Wayne,
Hammond and Gary, is George F. R. Cummerow.

He was born in the State of Ohio on the 3d day of May, 1877. At the age of six months "he
suggested to his people" that they move to Indiana. They located in Ft. Wayne and for many years
his father. Otto Cummerow, published a daily Democratic paper there. The son attended the schools
of Ft. Wayne, later attending the Kent College of Law at Chicago, graduating in the year 1898. He
was at once admitted to the bar and entered into the active practice of his profession at Ft. Wayne.
In 1900 he came to Hammond and, finally, in 1913, located in Gary. Here he has been an active worker
in the Democratic ranks and is at present secretary of the Democratic central committee of this city.

JOSEPH S. DAILEY

An enumeration of those men who have won honor and public recognition for themselves, and at
the same time honored their native state, must of necessity place at the head of the list such men as
Joseph S. Dailey. He held distinctive precedence as an able lawyer and judge, having served with sig-
nal ability as associate justice of the supreme court of the state of Indiana, and as a judge in other
courts. A man of affairs, who wielded a wide influence. A strong mentality, an invincible cour-
age, a determined individuality — these have so entered into his make-up as to render him a natural
leader of men and opinion. A native son of Wells county, and this the scene of the greater part of his
life's labors, his home being in the city of Bluffton, where, excepting while sitting as judge, he was
actively engaged in the practice of the law.

Joseph S. Dailey was born on a farm in Lancaster township, Wells county, Indiana, on the 21st of
May, 1844, a representative of one of the worthy pioneer families of the state. He was the fifth ir
order of birth of the nine children of James and Lydia (Garton) Dailey, and of these children four
died in infancy. His brother, Lewis W., died at the age of nineteen, while in command of a company
of the Twenty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, during the Civil war. His sister, Mary A., died at
the age of eighteen, the other sister being Mrs. Rachel L. Sowards.

As has been said in a previous published article referring to Judge Dailey: "His paternal ances-
tors were plain, unpretentious men who performed their several duties modestly and without osten-
tation. They were content to earn an honest living on the farm or in the shop, without seeking official
honors or public favor. He is of the fifth generation by direct lineage from Dennis Dailey, who was
a native of county Sligo, Ireland, and who emigrated to America before the middle of the eighteenth
century, settling in New Jersey. Both of Judge Dailey's grandfathers attested their courage and
patriotism by honorable service in the war of 1812. Both of them were natives of New Jersey; both
removed to Indiana and became early settlers of Franklin county. Here his father and mother were
married and lived until their first three children were born; they then removed to Allen county, where
the fourth was born; thence to Wells county, which became their permanent home."

Joseph S. Dailey secured his early education in the public schools of Bluffton and then began his
technical preparation for his chosen profession by entering the law office of Newton Burwell, of this
place, under whose direction he continued his studies for two years. In order to secure the funds neces-
sary to defray his course in the law department of the state university, he devoted a portion of his
time to teaching in the district schools of Wells county and also in the public schools of Bluffton. In
1865 he matriculated in the law department of the university, where he was graduated in 1866, being



(879



HISTORY INDIANA DEMOCRACY — 1816-1916

admitted to the bar of Indiana in that year. He entered into a professional partnership with George S.
Brown, who later removed to the state of Kansas, his death occurring in its capital city a number of
years later.

In October, 1866, within the first year of his active practice in Bluffton, Judge Dailey was elected
district attorney for the court of common pleas, and in 1868 he was elected prosecuting attorney for the
district in which Judge Lowry, of Fort Wayne, presided. He was re-elected in 1870, 1872 and 1874,
serving four consecutive terms. As a public official he acquired a reputation in the legal profession that
brought him a splendid practice when he again retired from public office.

Mr. Dailey was not without ambition. In 1878 he was nominated and elected a member of the
state legislature. His record in that body was that of a conservative working member — always per-
sistent, always moderate, yet courageous in the expression of his views. As a member of important
committees and in support of measures on the floor he was influential in formulating and securing
the passage of much legislation. His uniform courtesy and firmness won for him the esteem of po-
litical opponents. His conscientious regard for public duty secured to him the confidence of all his
colleagues and associates. Once afterward he yielded to the importunities of partisan friends and
became a candidate for political office. In 1882 he accepted the Democratic nomination for Congress
and made a race that was hopeless, because of the adverse partisan majority, though his canvass
was highly creditable and entirely honorable. Settling down again to the practice of law, he secured
a valuable clientage, extending over a large district.

In 1888 he was elected judge of the Twenty-eighth Circuit, comprising the counties of Hunting-
ton and Wells, for a term of six years. His service on the bench was alike acceptable to the bar and
the populace. He exercised wise discretion and commendable humanity in dealing with youths con-
victed of violating penal statutes. In most instances of first offense, if the accused had previously
borne a good reputation, sentence was withheld and he was allowed to enjoy liberty, after timely
advice and warning by the court, so long as good deportment was maintained. In this way boys
were reclaimed and saved for good citizenship instead of a life of crime.

Before the expiration of his term in the circuit. Judge Dailey was appointed judge of the supreme
court of the state, by Governor Matthews, receiving his commission to this office July 25, 1893. His
qualifications for the office of judge, whether in the trial of causes or in the court of last resort, were
unquestionable. First of all, he had the integrity of character. He possessed the natural ability and
essential acquirements, the acumen of the judicial temperament. He was able to divest himself of prej-
udice or favoritism and consider only the legal aspects of a question submitted. No labor was too
great, however onerous; no application too exacting, however severe, if necessary to the complete under-
standing and correct determination of a question.

His career on the bench and at the bar offer a noble example and an inspiration, while he never
was known to fail in that strict courtesy and regard for professional ethics which should ever charac-
terize the members of the bar. Faultless in honor, fearless in conduct and stainless in reputation, his
career reflects credit upon the judiciary and bar of one of the sovereign commonwealths of the Union.
Follovnng his retirement from the bench Judge Dailey actively engaged in the practice of his profession
in Bluffton, though his range of professional labor far transcends local limitations, as a matter of
course. He has as associates in practice his eldest son, Frank C. Dailey, and Abram Simmons, the large
and important business being conducted under the firm name of Dailey, Simmons & Dailey. The
writer from whose signally able and appreciative estimate we have hitherto liberally quoted continues
further, as follows: "The judge is favored in the possession of a healthful, vigorous constitution, ro-
bust energy and marked vitality. He is in the prime of middle life, which is conducive to the most
effectual utilization of all the mental resources. Candid, earnest and sincere, he is a reliable coun-
selor. His popularity as a citizen is the natural outgrowth of confidence in his ability, integrity and
sound judgment."

The domestic chapter in the history of Judge Dailey has been one of ideal character. On the 15th
day of March, 1870, Judge Dailey was united in marriage to Miss Emma Gutelius, of Bluffton, who
is of French extraction, tracing back to a distinguished surgeon in the French army. She was born



Online LibraryJohn B. StollHistory of the Indiana democracy, 1816-1916 → online text (page 135 of 168)