Margaruite Leonard, who, since his death, has lived in St. Joseph. Their
children were: Walter E., the subject of this review; Ethel L. living in
St Joseph where she married Artie L. Bryant, bookkeeper and secretary
for the Central Oil Company; and Leonard J., now a student in Gards
Business College in St Joseph.
Walter E. McCampbell graduated from the Gentry High School in
1912, and then attended the Northwest Missouri State Teachers College
at Maryville for three summer sessions, and taught during the winter
for six years. He taught his first term in the Canady District, and his
last in the Carmack District. In July, 1918 he was inducted into service
in thf" U. S. Army and was sent to Camp Funston, where he remained
six months in training. He was with Headquarters Company 10th Field
Artillery, and was mustered out of service in February 1919 after six
months of service. He then went to Cosby with the Cousins Lumber
Company for one year. At the end of that time he went on the road, and
sold lumber for nine months. He came to Darlington, Sept. 1, 1920, and
has been the m.anager of the Cousins Lumber Company here ever since.
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
The local office now handles all kind of builders' supplies, coal, and tile,
and is one of the well known and profitable enterprises of Darlington.
Walter E. McCampbell was married Nov. 7, 1920 to Katherine
Jefferies, a daughter of Dr. C. O. Jefferies of Savannah. They have one
child, Mary Katherine, born Nov. 18, 1921. Mrs. McCampbell was born
in New York City, graduated from the Savannah High School, attended
HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES 525
the Northwest Missouri State Teachers College at Maryville, and taught
for two years in Andrew County.
Mr. McCampbell is a Mason, and a member of the Independent
Order of Odd P^'ellows, and the American Legion at Albany. He is a
Republican. Mr. McCampbell is an efficient young business man, whose
successful administration of the affairs of his company is assured by his
ability and industry.
James Edward Vandermark, plainsman during the early days of
the development of the west, a Civil War veteran, and later a well
known farmer of Gentry County, is now living at Darlington. He was born
in Niles, Mich., Dec. 25, 1846, the son of Albert and Diana (Campbell)
Vandermark, both of whom were born in Pennsylvania and both died in
Mr. Vandermark attended the public school at Pine Woods in Mich-
igan. On Dec. 14, 1861, he enlisted for service in the Civil War. He
was not quite 15 years old, but was placed in Company K, 12th Michigan
Infantry, and was sent with the army of Tennessee. His first participa-
tion in any battle was at that of Shiloh, Tenn., on April 6-7, 1862. Mr.
Vandermark has a picture of the church at Shiloh where the battle was
fought, and says that his feelings during those two days will never be
lost from his mind. He was afterwards sent to Vicksburg, Nashville, He-
lena, and was at Chickasha when the war closed.
After the war, Mr. Vandermark went to St. Louis, and from there
was sent to Ft. Leavenworth, Kan., and was then with Custer in the In-
dian Territory at Camp Supply. In 1866 he went to Salt Lake with the
18th Infantry quartermaster service. He later returned to Larimie,
Wyo., where the government installed Ft. Saunders, and from this fort,
he made many expeditions. He remained at Ft. Saunders for three
years, and spent two summers with the surveying crew of the Union Pa-
cific Railway. He was transferred to Ft. McPherson in the South Platte
territory in Nebraska and later resigned from service. Before his resig-
nation, however, he, with several others, made a 300-mile trip with a
government expedition sent over the Nebraska plains to hunt buffalos.
The party was escorted by United States troops and met with many in-
teresting adventures, and dramatic experiences. After leaving the gov-
ernment service, Mr. Vandermark went to Omaha, then back to Niles,
Mich., and finally returned to Ft. Leavenworth where he re-entered the
quartermaster service. This time he was sent to Camp Supply and Ft.
Dodge, Kan. While he was in western Kansas, his company was at-
tacked several times by hostile or pilfering Indians. The story of Mr.
526 HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES
Vandermark's advetnures in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska and
Kansas is one of enthralling interest. Life in those states in the early-
days was filled with constant excitement, and sometimes actual peril.
Mr. Vandermark knew Wild Bill Hickok in the days when that
worthy was a law unto himself. "Wild Bill" lived at Hays City, Kan.,
and Mr. Vandermark was detailed on duty to help get the wounded men
to a hospital after the famous fight in the town when "Wild Bill" Hickok
"cleaned out" Tom Drumm's saloon. Men of the 7th United States Cav-
alry undertook to manage the intrepid Hickok, but as was his custom,
Mr. Hickok not only refused to allow himself to be reasoned with, but
fully established his own ability to handle his affairs. Out in western
Kansas in the winter of 1869, Mr. Vandermark was caught in a blizzard,
which raged for days ; 19 of the mules belonging in the train were frozen
to death. The men with the train named the spot "Boneyard," a name
that is still used to distinguish the place.
In 1871, Mr. Vandermark came to Missouri. He stopped at St. Jo-
seph, and from there he and Keeran McKenny, a former comrade of Mr.
Vandermark's, came by hack to Gentry County. They stopped with
Thomas McKenny for a time, and in 1871, Mr. Vandermark moved to
his place of 120 acres 3^ miles southeast of Darlington, where he farmed
until 1909 when he retired from active farm life and came to Darlington
In 1873, Mr. Vandermark was married to Fannie Davis. She died
in 1890 in Nebraska where her husband had taken her for her health.
She left two sons, E. H., now the superintendent of Union Pacific Rail-
road shops in Los Angeles, Calif. ; and F. M., with the Santa Fe Railway
at San Bernadino, Calif. Mr. Vandermark married the second time,
Sept. 25, 1892, Nannie James of Darlington, a daughter of Bayliss and
Nancy James. Mrs. Vandermark was born in Ohio, and her parents
were pioneer settlers of Darlington. The railway station stands on
ground formerly owned by the James family.
Mr. Vandermark is a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and of the Grand Army of the Republic. He joined the latter
lodge at Ford City when it was organized, later transferring his member-
ship to Darlington. He has served as the mayor of Darlington for two
terms, and was Commander of the G. A. R. Post for several years. He
has made three trips to California in a Pullman car over the part of the
route he had once driven a government six-mule team over. Mr. Vander-
mark has been a friend of Mr. McCammon, the editor of this volume, for
more than half a century.
HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES 527
Jonathan W. Van Hoozer, a farmer of Athens Township, Gentry
County, is a native Missourian. He was born near Martinsville, Dec. 20,
1872. His father, Isaac VanHoozer was a plainsman, and a veteran of
the Civil War. He served in the State Militia from Harrison County.
During the war and afterwards, he drove a team to Denver, Col., Ft.
Kearney, Neb., and Laramie, Wyo. In 1866, he bought a farm near Mar-
tinsville, Mo., and the place is still owned by his widow. He died in
1900, and his remains are buried in Grace Cemetery near the farm which
was his home for many years.
Isaac Van Hoozer married Amy Wayman, a native of east Tennes-
see, born Sept. 27, 1841, who now lives with her children. To this union
the following children were born: Luella May, died at the age of 18
years; Margaret, the wife of Tilman Guess of Ridgeway; J. W., the sub-
ject of this sketch ; Willie, died at the age of 16 years; Callie Maud, was
the wife of L. Wilkerson and died in 1913; Albert L., died at Powell,
Wyo., in 1917, at the age of 36 years; and Carl Victor, of Powell, Wyo.,
a World War veteran. He enlisted from Harrison County, and was sta-
tioned at Camp Donaphan.
J. W. VanHoozer attended the public school, and was a student in
the Normal at Chillicothe, Mo. At the age of 19 years, he taught a term
of school in the Adams District of Gentry County, and has followed the
occupation of farming since that time. He spent five years in Comanche
County, Oklahoma, then returned to Gentry County and bought 100
acres of land near his present farm. He sold the land in 1909 and bought
his present farm of 141 acres six miles northeast of Albany. His farm is
well watered, and has good improvements. Mr. VanHoozer raises sheep,
hogs, and cattle, and does general farming
J. W. VanHoozer was married Dec. 28, 1907, to Nellie Baldwin,
born in Martinsville, a daughter of Edward and Susie (Glendenning)
Baldwin. Mr. and Mrs. VanHoozer have a daughter, Amy Lenore, born
Dec. 25, 1909.
Mrs. VanHoozer's father, Edward Baldwin, was born in Michigan
in 1838, and died at Martinsville, Mo., in 1895. His remains are buried
in Kidwell Cemetery. He was a captain in the Confederate Army dur-
ing the Civil War. His father, Ezra P. Baldwin, was born in New Hamp-
shire, and came to Michigan then to Harrison County, about 1850. His
father was a soldier in the American Revolution, and one of Mrs. Van-
Hoozer's prized possessions is a button from the uniform of this ances-
tor. The Baldwins were among the venturesome souls that came across
in the Mayflower, and settled the new land. Mrs. VanHoozer's mother.
528 HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES
Susie (Glendenning) Baldwin, was born in Indiana in 1838. She
died April 11, 1922. Her parents, Richard and Saleta (Carter) Glen-
denning, came to Gentry County in 1841, and settled on a farm in How-
ard Township. To the union of Edward and Susie (Glendenning) Bald-
win the following children were born: Emma, later Mrs. Roundtree,
died in 1907; Ellis, died at New Hampton in 1921; Eugene, of Shenan-
doah, Iowa: W. A., of Bethany; Flora, now Mrs. Thompson of Dallas
Township, Harrison County; Nellie, now Mrs. VanHoozer; Charles, ot
Neosho, where he is the superintendent of Public Schools; and Ethel,
deceased. . • I
Mr. VanHoozer is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fel-
lows, and Mrs. VanHoozer is a member of the Board of Education of the
school district. They are a capable and progressive family, known as
citizens who are ever ready to aid in the cause of civic improvement.
Fred S. Austin, a prominent farmer and stockman of McFall is a
native of New York, born May 12, 1869. He is the son of Stephen and
Elmina (Pingrey) Austin. Stephen Austin was born in Stamford, Ct., in
1817; in 1831 he removed from Connecticut to New York and came to
Missouri in 1887. He was married in Elmina Pingrey in 1848. She was a
native of New York, born in the town of Alfred. Stephen Austin began
teaching school when he was 19 years old and continued teaching until he
reached the age of 70. He was also extensively interested in farming and
stockraising and at one time was also the owner of 549 acres of land. He
bought and sold cattle extensively. He was a member of the Methodist
church and a highly esteemed and upright citizen. He died in 1907 and his
wife departed this life in 1912 and their remains are buried in the cemetery
To Stephen Austin and wife were born the following children: Burt,
who is engaged in the jewelry business in Oklahoma City, Okla. ; Anna,
who was a music teacher, married Fred Ham,m and they reside at McFall ;
Alice, who resides with her brother Fred at McFall; and Fred, the subject
of this sketch.They were all born at Andover, N. Y.
Fred Austin received his education in the public schools of New York
and Missouri and in early life was associated with his father in farming
and the stock business which he still continues. He is the owner of a valu-
able and well improved farm and carries on general farming and stock
raising. He raises Jersey cattle, Poland China hogs and standard bred
Rhode Island Red chickens. He and his sister together have 233 acres
of land all within about three miles of McFall.
Mr. Austin is one of the successful men of affairs of Gentry
FRED S. AUSTIN
THE NEW YORK
ASTOK. LENOX AND
HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES 529
County. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and
is a supporter of the principles of the Socialist party.
Willis Adams, owner of 175 acres of well improved land three miles
northeast of Lone Star in Gentry County, is one of the well known farm-
ers of Howard Township. He was born west of Lone Star, Aug. 25, 1861,
in a log cabin, the roof of which was weighed down with poles.
His parents were William and Delila (Wood) Adams, the former
born in Illinois and the latter in Ohio. They were married in Illinois
and came to Missouri in 1855, where they lived on a farm west of Lone
Star for ten years, and then moved to a farm 3^ miles north of Lone
Star where they lived until their deaths. William Adams was a mem-
ber of the State Militia during the Civil War. He took a very active in-
terest in the schools of the county, and served on the local board of edu-
cation for 31 years. He was a Democrat. He did general farming and
stockraising on his place of 100 acres, and was successful. He died in
1890 at the age of 59 years, and his widow died in 1906 at the age of
73 years. The remains of both are buried in the Lone Star Cemetery.
Their children were : Mary, now the wife of W. A. Hunter of Harrison
County; Clark, of Ridgeway; Matilda Jane, the wife of N. R. Spillman
of Worth County; J. W., died in 1917 at the age of 58 years, and his re-
mains are buried in the Lone Star Cemetery; Willis, the subject of this
review; W. W., living near New Hampton; Elizabeth, the wife of A. L.
Grooms of Howard Township ; Loretta, married J. H. Shofner, died Nov.
13, 1921, and her remains are buried in Lone Star Cemetery; C. F., on
the home place ; and Delia, also on the home place.
Willis Adams attended school at District No. 1, Chris. Sellers was
his first teacher. He later went to the Groom school and there Mr. Lan-
den was his first teacher. Mr. Adams bought his present farm in 1885,
and brought his wife there to begin housekeeping. They had a box
house then, 15 feet square, with a "lean to" 8x15 feet. Mr. Adams
traded the only team he owned for 40 acres of the land which made the
nucleus of his later holdings. He owed about $100.00 on the farm, but
worked out by the day, and soon had enough to buy another farm. The
old box house was used as the basis of the present residence. Mr. Adams
keeps a small orchard, does general farming, and is interested in stock-
Willis Adams was married Aug. 23, 1885, to Alice Dotson, born in
Harrison County, the daughter of Noah and Scrilda (Smith) Dotson.
Mrs. Dotson died in 1878 and her remains are buried in Smith Cemetery ;
Mr. Dotson died in 1911, and his remains are buried in Matkins Ceme-
530 HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES
tery. Their children were: Mary, married W. W. Adams living near
Matkins; Lafayette, living at Tulsa, Okla. ; Alice, now Mrs. Adams;
Sarah Susan, married to William Roush of Enid, Okla. ; Charles, living
in Arizona; John, of Texas County; and William, of Hayes, Kan. A
daughter, Ona, died at the age of two years.]
Mr. and Mrs. Adams have had the following children: Grace, died
in 1910 at the age of 24 years; C. V., mentioned later in this sketch; E.
R., married Iva Pulsifer, and is the superintendent of schools at New
Hampton ; Wood, married Ruth Jones, and is a teacher in Harrison
County ; Myrtle, married Edgar Parman, a farmer of Howard Township ;
Russell, married Ada Hensley, and is farming in Worth County; Mabel,
died at the age of two years; and Curtis, at home.
C. V. Adams was born Oct. 22, 1887, and was reared on the home
farm. He was inducted into the U. S. army, July 25, 1918, and was sent
to Camp Funston for three months. He was twith the Ambulance Com-
pany 237, 10th Sanitary Train, 10th Division. He was sent east to Cham-
bersburg. Pa., and while waiting there for orders to go overseas, the
armistice was signed, and Mr. Adams was esnt back to Camp Funston
and was mustered out of service, Jan. 23, 1919. He owns a farm of 80
acres in Worth County which he and his brother operate together, along
with a part of their father's farm. Mr. Adams is a member of the Amer-
ican Legion Donald Holden Post No. 106 at Albany.
Willis Adams is a Democrat, a member of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, of the Knights of Pythias, and was a charter member
of the Siloam No. 4407 Modern Woodman of America. He has served
as a member of the township board for two years. He is a man esteemed
for his reliability and industry.
Simpson W. Needels, proprietor of the Salem Stock Farm, v/as born
in Howard Township, Gentry County, on the site of his present resi-
dence, Aug. 18, 1865, and has spent all of his life in this community,
where his father, G. W. Needels, was one of the prominent men of his
George W. Needels was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, October,
1825. His father, Alexander Needels, was born in Delaware in 1797,
and died in 1878. His mother, Elizabeth (Cubbage) Needels, was also a
native of Delaware. G. W. Needels came to Gentry County in 1845, and
entered 200 acres of land in Howard Township. He improved his place,
and in 1881 had 16 miles of rail fencing on the place. In Ohio he mar-
ried Rebecca Throckmorton, a daughter of Archibald and Ruth (Simp-
son) Throckmorton.! The marriage occurred in 1847, and Mrs. Needels
HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES 531
died in 1878, at the age of 49 years. Her children were: John W., a
farmer at Scott City, Kan. ; A. B., a prominent farmer and stockman,
died at his home in Parnell, Nodaway County, at the age of 63 years;
Ruth E,, married G. W. Caster of New Hampton; Mildred F., died in
1887 at the age of 30 years; Elizabeth, married N. J. Green, and was
killed in a cyclone. May 10, 1890; Simpson W., the subject of this
sketch; G. W., living in Webster County; and Elmer C, of Pasadena,
George W. Needels was married in 1879 to Jane Nicholson of Bar-
tholomew County, Indiana, and after her death, Mr. Needels married
Barbara (Green) Culp, now living at Albany, Mr. Needels died Feb.
24, 1903. He was a man with a wide vairety of interests. He owned 640
acres of land, was interested in property in Albany, was an editor and
publisher of the American Freeman, a reform paper of popularity dur-
ing the early eighties, and helped raise militia for service during the
Civil War. He was a quartermaster in the service of the state for a while,
and was commissioned county judge of Gentry County in 1864, holding this
position for two years. He was identified with the American Reform party
in politics, and was a member of the Free Methodist Church, a man who
was fearless in doing the thing he considered right, interested in everything
that meant the development of the civic good.
Simpson W. Needels attended the public schools.^ His land, known
as the Salem Stock Farm is one of the good stock farms of the county.
He has been a breeder of Durham cattle, but now breeds the Jersey cat-
tle also. He maintains a small dairy, and keeps ten Jersey cows. He
also raises Duroc Jersey hogs, and for 25 years has raised White Leg-
horn and Buff Orpington chickens. He has been a breeder of Cotswool
sheep for the past 21 years. He has a good residence, built in 1905, the
former residence having been destroyed along with all the household
goods on June 21st of that year. The farm is equipped with good farm
Simpson W. Needels was married Aug. 20, 1890, to Mary Eliza-
beth Noble, a daughter of Clark and Sarah Ann (Morris) Noble, the
former born in February 1825, in Indiana; and the latter born in Octo-
ber, 1834, in Ohio. Mr. Noble died in Gentry County in September,
1890, and Mrs. Noble died in Gentry County, May, 1910. The remains
of both are buried in the Carter Cemetery, where the remains of Mr.
Needels' parents are also buried.
To the union of Simpson W. and Mary Elizabeth (Noble) Needels
the following children were born: Lulu Maud, the wife of Frank Find-
532 HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES
ley of Howard Township ; Charles E., married Retha Long and lives in
Howard Township, he entered the U. S. army, Oct. 3, 1917, was placed
in the 40th Division Ambulance Corps, and sent to Camp Funston, then
to Camp Kearney, went overseas in August, 1918, and was mustered out
of service, June, 1919; Ruth E., married Alva Moberly, a World War
veteran in service for nine months, but was not sent overseas ; Edith B.,
married Charles Hulett, also a veteran of the World War, served over-
seas; Elsie D., the wife of Elvis Arnold, in service during the World
War for nine months; Curtis Simpson, died in infancy; Melville James,
at home, and Anna Rebecca, at home.
Mr. Needels is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church,
and belongs to the Yeoman and Forester Lodges. He is a substantial
citizen of his township, a man of marked civic pride, and progressive
H. F. Carter is a well known farmer of Howard Township, Gentry
County. He was born on the farm which is now his home on April 27,
1857, the son of Vinson and Patience (Glendenning) Carter, early set-
tlers of Gentry County.
Vinson Carter was born in Tennessee Jan. 4, 1814, and died in Gen-
try County, Aug. 19, 1888. He was the son of Elijah Carter, born March
29, 1786, and died Nov. 13, 1858, and Susannah Carter, born Nov. 19,
1795, and died Sept. 9, 1859. Elijah and Susannah Carter were the par-
ents of 15 children: Elizabeth, Vinson, Selety, Jane, Nancy, Joseph,
Catherine, John, Sarah, Hiram, Susannah, Lewis, Nathan, Mary, and
Martha. Vinson Carter came to Gentry County with his father in Octo-
ber, 1841. They both entered land in Howard Township, and became
prominent men in the community. Vinson Carter married Patience Glen-
denning, also a member of a pioneer family of Missouri. She was born
in Indiana, March 13, 1821, and died in Gentry County, Dec. 22, 1886.
The remains of both Mr. and Mrs. Carter are buried in the Carter Ceme-
tery. Their children were: Elizabeth, born June 9, 1840, married W.
W. Mock, who is now dead; William G., born Oct. 23, 1841, now living
at New Hampton ; Susannah, born Jan. 27, 1844, and married Jackson
Dye, they are both dead; Elijah A., born Jan. 13, 1846, living at New
Hampton; John Lewis, born July 7, 1849, living in Howard Township;
Martha, born Sept. 28, 1852, married William Clelland, who is now
dead, his widow lives in Harrison County; Milton Riley, born Oct. 16,
1854, lives in Howard Township; Hiram Franklin, the subject of this
review; and Jane, born Sept. 1, 1861, married Fillmore Needels.
H. F. Carter attended the public schools, and has lived on a farm
HISTORY OF DAVIESS AND GENTRY COUNTIES 533
all of his life. His present residence is located on the site of the house
where he was born. He owns 280 acres of land, 200 acres of which is a
part of the Carter home place. The farm is well watered, with two good
springs, and Mr. Carter has erected excellent farm buildings. He does
general farming and raises Shorthorn cattle. Black Poland China hogs,
Shropshire sheep, and horses and mules. The farm lies 6^ miles north-
west of New Hampton.
H. F, Carter was married on Nov. 30, 1884, to Ada Viola Stewart,
the daughter of Samuel* and Mary (Cummins) Stewart of Howard
Township, and to their union the following children were born: Duffy,
married Helen Clelland and lives in Sullivan County; Maude the wife of
Walter Bender of Harrison County; an infant, died at the age of six
months; Claude R., married Mary Denny, lives at Darlington; Crit, mar-
ried Gladys Goff , and is a farmer in Howard Township ; and Carrie, and
Victor, both living at home. Claude R. Carter enlisted for service in the
World War Aug. 8, 1918. He was sent overseas and landed in France,
Sept. 27, 1918, and was with the Evacuation Hospital No. 15 near Ver-
dun, where he remained for ten months, returning to the United States
June 27, 1919.
Samuel Stewart, the father of Ada Viola (Stewart) Carter, was born
in Ohio, July 4, 1819, and in 1827 his father moved to Indiana. Samuel
Stewart came to Missouri in 1854 and entered 150 acres of land in Har-
rison County. He later sold that land, and came to Gentry County,
where he bought 200 acres of land in Howard Township, and improvea
it, making of it one of the most substantial and beautiful farms in the
community. He enlisted for service in the Civil War in the 1st Missouri