John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 104 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 104 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


follows:

Mount Zion, No. 74. — Number of members,
151. Cash capita], $17,579.38. Amount of
relief granted during the last year, $1,880.
Officers of the term: George W. Breeswine,
N. G. ; Ernst Hein, V.G. ; George P. Spangler,
secretary; F. F. Buckingham, assistant sec-
retary; F. M. Dick, treasurer and representa-
tive to Grand Lodge.

Mount Vernon, No. 143. — Number of mem-
bers, 99. Capital on hand, $5,403.31. Amount
of relief granted during last year, $1,006.
Officers of the term: S. D. Ehrhart, N. G. ;.
James H. Moody, V. G. ; M. M. Hutchinson,
secretary; D. R. Klinefelter, assistant secre-
tary; J. H. Hendricks, treasurer and repre-
sentative to Grand Lodge.

Chihuahua, No. 317. — Number of mem-
bers, 63. Capital invested, $3,608.09. Amount
of relief granted during last year, i''293.
Officers of the present term: J. B. "Waltman,
N. G. ; C. S. Glatfelter, V. G. ; A. J. Duden,
secretary; John K. Upp, treasurer. A. J.
Duden, representative to Grand Lodge.

Hanover, No. 327. — Number of members,
179. Amount of capital invested, $8,196.51.
Amount of relief granted during last year,.



SECEET SOCIETIES.



505



11,072.75. Officers of the term: E. A. Michael,
N. G.; George H. Bowers, V. G. ; W. H.
Long, secretary; William A. Clay, assistant
secretary; Carl Erdman, treasurer; F. S. Zinn,
representative to Grand Lodge.

Humane Lodge.No. 342. — York; number of
members, 182. Amount of capital on hand,
$21,433.47. Amount of relief granted du-
ring last year. $1,216.75. Officers of the
present term : McClellan M. Spahr, N. G. ,
J. W. Dennis, V. G., James H. Fisher, secre-
tary ; L. H. Sudick, assistant secretary ; D.
P. Shultz, treasurer ; Henry J. Deitch,
representative to Grand Lodge.

Mt. Hebron, No. 516. — Delta; .number of
members, 34; amount of capital on hand,
$1,000, amount paid for relief during the
year, $35; present officers: N. G., VV. Wal-
lace, Jr.; V. G., H. Sprenkel; secretary,
P. J. Gilbert; treasurer, J. H. Gilbert.

Goldsboro, No. 791. — Goldsboro; number
of members, 24; amount of capital on hand,
$1,159.16;, amount of relief granted during
the year, $85; officers of the present term:
John Ziegler, N. G. : George H. Grove, V. G. ;
John A. Willis, secretary; Ed. D. Brecken-
ridge, assistant secretary; Geo. S. Wolf,
treasurer ; John A. Willis, representative
to Grand Lodge;

Harmonia, No. 853. — York; number of
members, 57; cash on hand, $1,130.07;
amount paid forrelief during the year, $268;
present officers; W. B. Ruby, N. G. ; John
Bender, V. G. ; D. P. Heckert, secretary;
Herman Sauppe, assistant secretary; Alber-
tus Hibner, treasurer, and J. T. Tracy, rep-
resentative to Grand Lodge.

Mt. Sinai, No. 90S. — Jefferson; number of
members, 46; cash on hand, $1,338.31;
amount paid for relief during the last term,
$35; present officers: A. B. Miller, N. G.;
Henry A. Walter, V. G. ; W. H. Brodbeck,
secretary; C. M. Motter, assistant secretary;
Henry Eichelberger, representative to the
Grand Lodge.

Winona, No. 944. — East Prospect; number
of members, 24; amount of capital on hand
$37o.47; amount paid for relief during the
year, $15; present officers: Henry Thomas,
N. G.; J. W. Kinard, V. G.; Peter J. Gilbert,
secretary; Jacob H. Leber, assistant secretary;
Michael Shenberger, treasurer; Peter J. Gil-
bert, representative to Grand Lodge.

Mt. Olivet, No. 997. — Spring Grove; number
of members, 54; cash in treasury, $418.57;
amount paid for relief during year, $48;
present officers: John S. Myers, N. G.; William
Hoke, V. G. ; William Currens, secretary;
George Seller, assistant secretary; Ephraim



Stambaugh, treasurer; Jesse G. Williams,
representative to Grand Lodge.

Mt. Vernon Encampment, No. 14. — York;
number of members, 125; capital en hand,
$9472.31; amount relief paid $896; present
officers: chief patriarch, David Ziegler; high
priest, George A. Welker; senior warden, D.
P. Heckert; junior warden, William E, Pat
terson; scribe, James H. Fisher; treasurer,
George E. Sherwood.

Eagle Encampment, No. 158. — Hanover;
number of members, 50; amount paid for relief,
$166; amount on hand, $562.61; present
officers: E. D. Melhorn; chief patriarch;
W. H. Long, high priest; H. Melhorn, S. W.;
Charles J. Myers, J. W.; W. F. Stair,
scribe; Carl Erdman, treasurer.

IMPROVED OKDEE OF RED MEN.

This secret organization claims to be pecul-
iarly American in its conception and its lead-
ing advocates assert publicly and privately
that it was conceived and born as a genuine
American institution, during the dark days
of the Revolutionary period, and that her
founders were a band of five Revohitionary
officers. The introduction of the order into
York Borough occurred early in the year
1857. The flourishing condition of the Ma-
sonic and Odd Fellows' Lodges, who had
been called into existence during the two
preceding decades, and whose direct benev-
olence and active aid bestowed and man-
ifested toward their respective membership,
particularly during the financial crisis of
1856-57, had called general attention and
comments and aroused a spirit of imitation
fostered to a considerable degree by the
members of the existing secret orders, who
perchance, felt a curiosity to know and learn
the base and principles of the then compara-
tively weak and order of Red Men.

During the latter part of the year 1856 a
number of citizens met privately to con-
sider the probable success of the establishment
of a tribe of the Improved Order of Red
Men. The views advanced, looking favorable
to the project, appeared to receive a hearty
support and culminated in an application for
a charter, which, after some delay, was
granted by the Great Council of Pennsylva-
nia and "Conewago" Tribe, No. 37, was
duly called into existence, regularly organ-
ized by G. T. Zahm, then great sachem of
the jurisdiction or Hunting Grounds of
Pennsylvania. The institution took place in
the building formerly known as " Temperance
Hall " on North George Street, at the site at
occupied by the First National Bank;



506



HISTOET OF TOEK COUNTY.



and the first officers that kindled the connuil !
brand were; Dr. Alexander Small, sachem;
Christian Markley, senior sagamore; Edward
S. Eupp, junior sagamore; Leonard Koons,
chief of records, and Isaac Swartz, keeper of
wampum. The new organization remained
but a short time at their first place of meet-
ing, but migrated successively from Temper-
ance Hall to the Museum Building on North
Beaver Street, to Strack's building, cor-
ner of Princess and South George Streets,
to Lebach's Centre Hall, and finally to
the Odd Fellows' Hall on South George
Street, where a wigwam particularly suited
and fitted to the initiatory ceremonies
was established. The original membership,
many of whom are still living, worked hard
and faithfully, for the dissemination of the
principles inculcated by the order, and succeed-
ed in giving it a firm and permanent foot-
hold in the community. The tribe numbers
at this time 188 members, is possessed of a
capital of nearly S6,000, and expends nearly
§1,200 annually for the relief of the sick,
the burial of the dead, and the education of
the orphans. The present officers are :
Sachem, William Marklev; Sr. Sag., George
W. Hess; Jr. Sag., W. H. H. Craver;
Prophet, Edward Neas; C. of E., John Hays;
K. of W., Jacob S. Wilt; Asst. C. of E., W.
H. Albright; First Sanap, Samuel Platts; '
Second Sanap, Thomas H. Fulton; G. of W.,
George S. Yeaple; G. of F., Abraham Baker;
First Warden, John Geise; Second Warden,
Harry E. Wanty; Third Warden, Luther A.
Small; Fourth Warden. William A. Mitzel;
First Brave, Levi Ilgenfritz; Second Brave,
Edward Yeaple; Third Brave, George F.
Geiselman; Fourth Brave, Amos Hoifman.

After eight years of labor the membership
of Conewago Tribe had increased to such an
extent as to make the establishment of a sec-
ond tribe desirable, particularly so in view
of the fact that a large number of the Ger-
man speaking element of the town had ob-
tained membership. After a free exchange
of opinion the organization of a German
Tribe was decided upon. An application for
a charter was made and "Codorus" Tribe,
No. 78, to be located in York, was called into
existence. The institution took place on the
21st of Traveling Moon, G. S. D.. 374 (Oc-
tober 21, 1865), at which time the following
chiefs were raised by Great Sachem M. J.
Weaver, of Lancaster: Daniel Decker,
sachem; Louis Hoffman , junior sagamore;
William Coose, junior sagamore ; George
Plitt, chief of records ; William Tash,
keeper of wampum. The present officers of I
this tribe are John Schott, sachem ; Peter



Eeich, senior sagamore ; junior

sagamore ; Christian Wagner, prophet ;
John H. Schum. chief of records ; Augustus
Voss, keeper of wampum; Theo. E. Helb,
representative to great council of Pennsyl-
vania. The present numerical strength of
this tribe is small, notwithstanding the fact
that it contains some of the most active Ger-
man Eed Men of the borough. The wampum
belt of the tribe contains about SSOO.

Following the establishment of Codorus
Tribe came the organization of ^V'aunepewink
Tribe, No. 89, at Shrewsbury, with the
following charter officers : sachem, E. H.
Gerry ; senior sagamore, Samuel Giesey ;
junior sagamore, Frank O. McCleary- ; chief
of records, Frederick A. Hake ; prophet, Jo-
seph H. Blasser ; keeper of wampum, Isaac
E. Berg. The prospects for a prosperous
tribe appeared to be tlattering at the time of
the institution, 10 Sleep Corn Moon, G. S.
D., 377 (September lOth, 1868), but the
hopes of the membership were doomed to
disappointment. The council fire ceased to
burn some time during 187<), and all eilbrts
to rekindle it have so far proven unsuccess-
ful, a circumstance to a greater or less de-
gree attributable to the existence of some
older institution, and the smallness of the
town.

In the meantime the English element had
invaded the wigwam of Codorus Tribe, and
after considerable argument it was deemed
best to separate, and application was made for
a charter for Conewingo Tribe, No. 93, to
be located at York. The institution of this,
the third tribe within the borough limits, took
place on the 5th Sleep of Traveling Moon, G.
S. D., 378 (October 5, 1869), Great
Sachem Frank C. Knipe, officiating at the
raising of the following chiefs : sachem,
John W. Shirey ; senior sagamore, Josiah
M. Jones; junior sagamore, William Hose;
chief of records, William L. Keech; keeper of
wampum, William Tash. The following officers
were elected for the present term: sachem,
A. Patterson ; senior sagamore, Eph. Thatch,
er ; junior sagamore, Lewis Sudick ; prophet,
J. W. Hetrick ; chief of records, L. E.
Eouse ; keeper of wampum, Aug. T. Walt-
man ; representative to G. C, W. B White.
This tribe now stands as second in the county.

On the 10th of May. 1870, Yosemite Tribe,
No. 100, of Glen Eock, was organized by
Deputy Grand Sachem John Havs. Andrew
Shaw.'W. F. Boecel, Eli E. Miller, John
W. Hartman, Henry J. Heiser and A. H.
Herbert were the first oflicers, and Theo. Bol-
linger, S. H. Jacobs, George W. Gable, A. E.
Bollinger, George Barshinger and Agrippa



FIRE INSURANCE COMPANIES.



Shauk occupy the stumps at this time. This
organization flourished and possessed at the
1st of April, 1885, ninety members and an
invested capital of $1,755.

Ganaga Tribe, No. 226, of Jefferson
Borough was organized on the 2oth of Sep-
tember, 1874. It, however, never gained
a foothold in the community and ceased to
exist three years later.

The last one of the tribes of Red Men,
Minnewaukuru, No. 250, was instituted on
the 7th of January, 1884, • at Hanover.
Thomas A. McDowell, then great sachem of
the jurisdiction, raised the following chiefs:
sachem, D. D. Ehrhart; prophet, D. F.
Stair; senior sagamore, George W. Thomas;
junior sagamore, C. W. Gebeusleben; chief
of records, A. C. Wentz; keeper of wam-
pum, John D. Jenkins. This tribe prom-
ises to be one of the most active in York
County, being principally composed of young
men.

KNIGHTS or PYTHIAS.

The introduction of the order of Knights
of Pythias into York County took place on
the 11th of November, 1869. Some thirty
citizens, principally members of the order
of Odd Fellows, organized a lodge of this
fraternity, and for that purpose repaired
to Columbia, there to receive the required
degrees to enable them to procure a charter,
which degrees were conferred by Evergreen
Castle. The application for a charter was
granted, and "White Rose Castle," No. 211,
located at York, was the first to disseminate
the principles of friendship set forth in the
well-known poem of "Damon and Pythias.'"
The order flourished for some years, and
castles or lodges were established at Han-
over in 1870; at Glen Rock in 1871; at
Seven Valley in 1876; at Siddonsburg in
1879. Some time during 1874 a difficulty
relative to a certain obligation occurred be-
tween a number of subordinate castles and
the Grand Castle, or its officers, which caused
considerable dissension in "White Rose
Castle" and finally led to its dissolution.
Hanover Castle met with severe losses, finan-
cially. The castle at Siddonsburg surren-
dered its charter three years after its organ-
ization, and Zion Castle, No. 447, of Seven
Valley, and Friendly Castle of Glen Rock,
No. 287, are the only two whose condition
at this time is of such a nature as to warrant
the belief that the order will retain active
defenders in the future. Friendly Castle.
according to its last report, had sixty mem
bers, and Zion Castle retained only twenty-
four members in good standing.



The order at one time promised to take
the lead of all the secret organizations pos-
sessed of the beneficial feature; but internal
dissensions soon followed and all efforts to
remove or dispel them have so far proven
inelTectual.

OTHER SECRET ORDERS.

The county of York may be deemed one
of the most fertile spots for the growth of
secret organizations in the common wealth.
Independent of the comparatively large num-
ber of lodges representing the Masonic, Odd
Fellow and Red Men Fraternities, there exist
at present circles of the Union Brotherhood at
York and Hanover; a conclave of the American
Order of Mechanics; a conclave of the Junior
Order of Mechanics; a colored Odd Fellow
Lodge,whose charter emanated from the Grancl
Lodge of Canada; a lodge of the Independ-
ent Mechanics; a branch of the Brotherhood
of Engineers; a lodge of the Mystic Band
of Brothers; a lodge of the Knights of the
Mystic Chain; a lodge of Artificers; a lodge
of the Sons of St. John; a lodge of the
Knights of Labor; a lodge of the Heptasophs
or Seven Wise Men; Independent of these
there exist three semi-secret associations, viz. ;
St. Mary's, St. Joseph's and the German.
Laboring Men's Beneficial Association.



FIRE INSURANCE COMPANIES."

PREVIOUS to 1840, there was very little
insurance on property in York County,,
even in the town of York. The business had
not yet developed in this country. Before
that time a subscription paper was circulated
among the people after a fire, and money
collected for the benefit of those who were-
unfortunate in losing property by fire. This
plan is now almost totally abandoned, and a
great amount of the property in town and
county is insured. Besides our local com-
panies, whose history is herein given in
chronological order, there are many other
large and substantial companies represented:
by agents in different sections of the county^

YORK CODNTY MUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE COMPANT.

An act passed April 4, 1843, incorporated
the York County Mutual Fire Insurance
Company. Michael Ebert, Peter Peters,
Michael Smyser, Sr., George Loucks. Michael
Doudel, Joseph Smyser, David Smyser,
Henry Ebert, Jr.jDaniel Loucks,Henry Smy~



HISTORT OF YORK COUNTY



3er, David Beeler, John G. Campbell and
SeoTge Loucks (^miller) were the incorpora-
tors. Septembers. 1843, Gen. Michael Dou-
Ael W8S elected president, and John G. Camp-
fcelf, secretary. John Vogelsong, Samuel
Wagner and John Sleeger were elected mem-
feera of the board of managers. Thirty-three
persons the same day made applications for
insurance, aggregating to §156,200. Philip
Smyser was elected first treasurer. Gen.
Boudel and John G. Campbell served in
their positions lantil September 30, 1854,
Trben Abraham Forry was elected president,
and Joseph Garretson, secretary. John Weyer
was secretary from 1856 to 1865, when the
present secretary, Silas H. Forry, was elected.
Abraham Forry continued as president until
his death in 1872, when Jacob Stair was
elected.

The present board is composed of the fol-
lowing named members: Jacob Stair, W. H.
Kurtz, David Jamison, E. K. Ziegler, Mat-
thew Tyler, Eli Myers, George W. Wantz,
John H. Small, B. F. Hantz, W. Latimer
Small, R. F. Polack, P. F. Wilt and Robert
A. Stair. When the company was first organ-
ized, all insurances was taken on the mutual
plan. Premium notes were given, and not
nnach cash required. The original charter
was granted for twenty years, and on Feb-
Jiaary 14, 1863, an act was passed extending
it' j^venty years. Ou February 7, 1883, the
charter was renewed perpetually.

On November 5, 1873, by application to
bhe court, an amendment to the charter was
obtained, authorizing the company to issue
policies on a cash basis as well as on the
mutual plan. At present the amount of prop-
erty insured and in force on the mutual plan
is $331,052.83, and on the cash plan $131,-
237.50. Total amount in force $462,290.33.
The assets of the company amounted to $53,-
(iy09. 19. Risks are taken fi-om one to five
years.

The names of the treasurers of the com-
pany in order of succession are as follows:
Philip Smyser, Charles Weiser and Charles
S. Weiser. the present treasurer. Insurance
is taken in York County only. The company
is conservative and careful in taking risks.

FAEHEKS INSURANCE COMPANY OF YORK.

This company was incorporated on the 6th
day of April, 1853. The directors for the first
year were Daniel L. Gehly, H. G. Kauffman,
John Landis, Eli Kindig and Karl Forney.
Daniel L. Gehly was elected president, H. G.
Kauffman, secretary, and John Landis, treas-
urer. At the expiration of the first year H.
Kx-aber, Jacob Diehl, Frederick Sultzbaugh



and D. Strickler were elected directors. The
oJficers for the second year were as follows:
H. Kraber, president, who continued in the
same position until 1874; D. Strickler, the
present secretary, who has served continuously
since 1854; John Landis, treasurer, who
served from the time of the organization until
1867, when D. Strickler followed him; G. Ed-
ward Hersh succeeded to the presidency in
1874.

Insurance to the amount of $428,124 was
taken, $104,636 received in premiums and
$10,468.42 in premium notes received during
the first year of business. There were no
losses the first year. The total income for
1S84, was $269,118.79; the amount of losses
paid $184,472.35; the amount of property
insui-ed $23,954,490. The entire amount of
losses paid since time of organization in 1853
to 1885, is $2,959,496.67. Amount of insur-
ance in force is $38,114,751.

Business is done in Maryland, Pennsyl-
vania, New Jersey, New York, Indiana,
Illinois, Missouri and Iowa. Insurance is
taken by this company with or without liabil-
ity to assessment, but mainly on the all cash
plan. No assessments have ever been made.
The assets on Januaiy 1, 1885, were
$438,179.93, unpaid losses and other debts
$21,157.52.

The board of directors for the year 1885 is
as follows: G. Edward Hersh, president;
William Wallace, vice-president; D. Strick-
ler. secretary and treasurer; David Small,
Eli Kindig, George D. Ebert, Charles F.
Winter, James Keller and D. H. Detweiler.
The home office of the company is in the first
story of their own building, No. 29 East
Market Street, York, Penn.

FARMERS MUTUAL INSURANCE COMPANY OF PARA-
DISE.

This company was incorporated March 24,
1854. The names of the original directors
were John Roth, president; Joseph W. Kraft,
secretary; Michael Fishel, Samuel Roth, Sr.,
George Myers, George Hoke, Nathaniel
Spangler, Henry Hoke, Joseph Hoke, Henry
Shireman, George Sprenkle (miller), Henry
Raber.

In the year 1874, a new charter was granted
by the court. Daniel Heneise was elected
president in 1874 and served until 1876,
when he was succeeded by Peter Keihl, who
continued until 1882, when Martin Eichel-
berger was elected. Benjamin Lease became
secretary in 1874, and continued until 1881,
when Philip S. Bowman, of Penn Township,
near Hanover, the present secretary was
elected.



FIRE INSURAKCE COMPANIES.



509



The names of the first directors under the
charter of 1874 were as follows: John Lentz,
J. Stover, Benjamin Myers, Christian Bow-
man, Peter Keihl, Simon Walter, Henry
Weaver, Jacob G. Myers, Daniel Heneise,
Henry Bowman, Daniel Bentz and David
Martin.

Since 1854 there have been 7,579 policies
issued. For the year 1885 there were 1,712
in force. The amount of insurance in force
on January 1, 1885, was $3,070,358. . For
the year 1885 the board of directors are as
follows: Martin Eichelberger, of Heidelberg
Township, president; Philip S. Bowman, of
Penn Township, secretary; William H. Mil-
ler, of Spring Garden Township, treasurer;
Henry Hoke, of Jackson; Michael Striewig,
of Warrington; Josiah M. Jacobs, of Para-
dise; Henry Hoff, of North Codorus; Will-
iam Eyster, of West Manchester; Moses H.
Dierdorfif, of Washington: A. J. Myers, of
Manchester; Washington Lauer, of Dover;
and Michael Saubel, of Manheim.

The agents of the company at present are
George W. Brown, Henry Moul, Michael
Strievig, Daniel S. Dubs, Edward T. Bentz,
Henry M. Spahr, Andrew Sauter, M. H.Dear-
dorff, George F. Saubel, William Eyster,
and Benjamin Gross.

CODORUS AND MANHEIM MDTQAL.

Codorus & Manhiem Mutual Protective
Insurance Company was organized May 24,
1-856. The board of directors consisted of
the following-named persons: Henry Stick,
Dr. William Allabaugh, Henry S. Keller,
Charles Shearer, Jacob W. Werner, Jacob
Klinefelter, Adam Miller, John Weigand,
Jesse Wentz, Valentine B. Wentz, Cornelius
B. Wentz, Jesse Bortner, and John S. Dubs.

When the company was organized the ter-
ritory over which insurance on property was
taken, was confined to Codorus and Man-
heim Townships, of this county. As the
company began to prosper, the range of ter-
ritory was extended to include other sur-
rounding townships, and eventually the en-
tire counties of York and Adams, excepting
boroughs and villages where houses are
built in blocks of three or more. Premium
notes are taken from each applicant by this
company from 4 to 25 per cent of the insured
value. This company now carries risks to
the amount of $2,996,483; holds premium
notes to the amount of $151,556.14, and since
organization has paid over $40,000 in losses.
In 1885 the board of directors consisted of
the following members: Jesse K. Wentz, of
West Manheim Township, president; L. W.
Hershey, of New Freedom, secretary; J. H.



Lamott, vice-president; J. D. Ziegler, treas-
urer; Levi Dubbs, M. M. Hutchinson, Eli
Miller, Jacob Diehl, Casper Weigand, John
F. Bopp, Charles Grote, Henry Anstine,
John B. Gemmill.

DOVER, CONEWAGO, NEWBERRY, EAST AND WEST
MANCHESTER MUTUAL.

The^Dover, Conewago, Newberry, East and
West Manchester Township Mutual Fire In-
surance Company was incorporated in 1856.
The directors were E. Melchinger, Henry Ben-
der, John Hoober,William S. Picking, John
Eeeser, Samuel M. Eisenhart, John A. Hoo-
bor, Joseph M. McCreary, Jacob F. Krone,
Daniel Gross, Sr. , William W. Wolf, Benjamin
Myers, John Neiman, Jonas Stough and David
Smyser. A meeting of the commissioners nam-
ed in the act of incorporation was held at the
house of Henry Hake, innkeeper in Conewago
Township, York Co., Penn., on Saturday,
the 14th day of June, A. D., 1856, for the pur-
pose of organizing the company. Joseph Mc-
Creary was appointed president for the ensu-
ing year, William S. Picking, secretary and
David Smyser, treasurer. The directors for
1885 are Dr. William Lenhart, Alfred Weaver,
David Meisenhelter, John Neiman, Charles E.
Smyser, George D. Beeler, Morris M. Hays,
John Lease, BenjaminHohr, George Heilm an,
Henry H. Kochenour, Henry Haines, John H.
Wogan, Edward Smyser and A. G. Throne.
The officers are John Neiman, president; Dr.
William Lenhart, treasurer; A. G. Throne,
secretary.

SOUTHERN MUTUAL.

The Southern Mutual Fire Insurance Com-
pany of York County, was chartered about



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 104 of 218)