John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 110 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 110 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


infirmities of old age, but continued to re-
side in the town. He died April 17, 1879,
beloved by all and honored by all; and his
body was interred in Prospect Hill Cemetery.
His wife was Miss Charlotte Prescott, a near
relative of the historian. She died June 22,
1880, aged eighty-one years.

The Rev. William P. Orrick was called in
1866. He continued in charge for seven
years. During his administration the parish
building was erected on the church lot, thus
giving suitable accommodations for the Sun-
day schools and the other parochial organi-
zations.

The Rev. Octavius Perinchief was rector
from 1873 to 1874. Mr. Perinchief was one
of the ablest preachers in the American
Church and attracted, wherever settled, uni-
versal attention.

Rev. Edward L. Stoddard succeeded to the
charge of the parish in 1874 and remained
until 1877, when he gave place to Rev. W. T.
Wilson, who served the parish from 1877 to
1878. The Rev. Henry W. Spalding, D. D.,
assumed charge in December. 1878, and con-
tinued until 1883. The Rev. Arthur C.
Powell was called to the rectorship in June,
1883, and still administers to the parish.

The parish had assumed such proportions
in 1883, that it was deemed imperative to
make a radical enlargement of the church.
This was begun in September of that year.
By this, the third improvement, the edifice
was signally changed and improved, until it is

I now one of the most beautiful in the country.



BOROUGH OF YORK.



535



A new organ, new pews and new chancel
furniture were added, so that, while on the
ancient site, St. John's is practically a new
church, though the original church is so in-
corporated as to leave portions of its walls
still standing.

The entire expenditure, including hand-
some memorial windows, was about $17,000,
which amount was fully raised by the gener-
osity of the members, and the church was pre-
sented for consecration to Ri. Rev. M. A.
DeWolfe Howe, D. D., LL. D., Bishop of the
Diocese of Central Pennsylvania, on Thurs-
day, April 16, and in the presence of a
large audience was solemnly set apart for
religious worship, according to the rites and
ritual of the Episcopal Church. The instru-
ment of donation, on this occasion, was read
by the Hon. John Gibson, and the article of
consecration by the rector (to whom we are
indebted for this sketch).

St. John's Parish has arrived at such
strength, that it ranks among the largest and
best parishes in the diocese.

The First Presbijferian Church.— Its begin-
ning may be traced back beyond the date of
the Declaration o'f Independence. For several
years a little band of Presbyterians, without
any formal church organization, were minis-
tered to by the Rev. Mr. Hanna, of the Pres-
bytery of Carlisle. In 1785, George Irwin,
William Scott and Archibald McLean pur-
chased the lot on the corner of High and
■Queen Streets "in trust, for the use of the
Religious Society of English Presbyterians."
On this lot, in 1790, the first house of wor-
ship was erected, a plain brick building. In
Mai'ch, 1793, this congregation was united
with the Round Hill Church, in Hopewell
Township, in a call to the Rev. Robert Cath-
cart, of the Presbytery of Philadelphia, which
was accepted. Of the twenty -four signers of
York to that call no descendants remain, ex-
cepting those of Jennet Grier and William
MeCIellan. William Harris, another of the
signers, was grandfather of Hon. S. Morrison
Harris, of Baltimore, and Hon. James Smith,
another, whose remains are in the church-
yard, was one of the signers of the Declara-
tion of Independence.

In the year 1813, the congregation, was
incorporated by the legislature. In 1835,
near the close of Dr. Cathcart's pastorate, the
old church edifice was remodeled and pre-
pared for the accommodation of the synod of
Philadelphia, which met in October of that
year. This synod became famous for the
trial of Rev. Albert Barnes, the distinguished
commentator, for alleged heresies of doctrinal
•opinion and teaching. The entire commu-



nity became greatly interested. The trial
terminated in a vote of suspension by a
majority of the court, to which the accused
meekly submitted until it was set aside by
the general assembly in the following May,
and he was restored to the exercise of his
ministry. The sympathies of a large propor-
tion of this people were undoubtedly with
Mr. Barnes, and when, in 1837, the great
division of the Presbyterian Church took
place, they, with their pastor.for the most part
adhered to the exscinded or new school branch.
A minority, however, who preferred connection
with the old school, organized a board of
trustees, and made an attempt to obtain
possession of the church property. An action
for ejectment was brought by them in the York
County Court (April, 1840, Judge Hays of
Lancaster, presiding), but was decided for the
defendants, which decision was affirmed by
the supreme court at Harrisburg, May, 1841.

For several years the old school party kept
up a separate organization under the pastor-
al care of Rev. Stephen Boyer, but at length
the enterprise was abandoned and most of its
supporters returned to the other church.

Dr. Cathcart, owing to the infirmities of
age, resigned his long pastorate in 1837, and
was succeeded by Rev. Benjamin J. Wallace,
of the Presbytery of Muhlenburgh, Ky. He
continued until September, 1845, when he
accepted a professorship in Delaware Col-
lege.

In November of that year, Rev. Daniel Hop-
kins Emerson commenced his labors as pastor
elect, and continued until April, 1855, when
failing eyesight obliged him to accept an
agency. He was succeeded by Rev. Charles
J. Hutchins, a licentiate of the Presbytery of
Erie, whose pastorate of four years was
marked by large additions to the church, and
by initiatory steps for the erection of a new
house of worship.

In December, 1859, Rev.Thomas Street, of
Philadelphia, was chosen pastor, and the four
years of his ministry are memorable for all
the excitement and changes growing out of
the war of the Rebellion, and also for the
activity and enlargement connected with the
erection of the jDresent beautiful church.

In December, 1864, Rev. Henry E. Niles,
then located at Albion, N. Y., was called to
the pastorate. He was installed by the Pres-
bytery of Harrisburg in April following, and
during the twenty years of his ministry just
finished, the church has enjoyed an almost
uniform course of prosperity.

From Dr. Niles' recent anniversary dis-
course it appears that from 117 attending
members the church has grown to 440. Its



536



HISTORY OF YORK COUiN'TY.



Sabbath-school, missionary societies, and
work in the mission chapel are well sus-
tained, and it has recently sent out twenty-
six of its number to form the beginning of
the Calvary Presbyterian Church in the
southern part of York.

The Presbyterian Church building is de-
lightfully located on East Market Street.
The Smiday-school has been ably superin-
tended by Dr. J. W. Kerr for more than a
quarter of a century. The parsonage adjoins
the church.

Calvary Presbyterian Church.. — This
church is located on South Duke Street. It
grew from a Sabbath -school, opened on the
6th of August, 1SS2, in a cooper shop, lo-
cated on South Duke Street, just beyond
Cottage Avenue. On the first Sabbath of its
meeting, there were present twenty-seven
scholars and seven men and women interested
in the work. These persons were Mr. and
Mrs. J. C. Luitweiler, Hattie Luitweiler,
Clara B. Cross, Maggie W. Cross, Samuel
Small, Jr., and H. S. Myers. Mr. Small was
chosen superintendent. The next Sabbath a
number were added, viz. : Mrs. B. F. Willis,
Mrs. Dr. McDougall. Mrs. Annie Stair, Miss
Mary Edie and Miss Belle Small. On a
piece of ground, donated by Samuel Small,
Sr., wasj built a chapel at a cost of §2,500.
by a few members of the Presbyterian
Church in the town; and on the 19th of No-
vember, 1882, the school left their quarters
in the cooper shop, and went to the new
chapel, which seated about 250 persons. In
the spring of 1883, when the work had been
carried on only a few months, it was felt
necessary to secure the services of a minister.
Rev. George L. Smith, then pastor of the
First Presbyterian Church, Cedarville, N. J.,
came permanently in August, 1883.

Application was made to the Presbytery
of Westminster, September 25, 1883, for the
organization of a new church, to be called
the Calvary Presbyterian Church. A com-
mittee, consisting of Rev. Dr. Niles, Rev. T.
M. Crawford and Rev. Eby (ministers),
Samuel Small, Sr., and Mr. Purple (elders),
to meet on the 9th of October, and organize
the ehurch. Stephen Cunningham, "William
Gamble, J. C. Luitweiler and B. F. Willis
were elected elders.

On the 17th of October the new congrega-
tion called the Rev George L. Smith, who
had for a time been laboring among them,
and on the 30th of the same month the Pres-
bytery at Westminster met in the Calvary
Chapel, and Mr. Smith was installed
pastor. At the installation service. Rev. Mr.
Eby, of Columbia, presided; Rev. Dr.



McDougall preached the sermon; Rev. Dr.
Stewart gave the charge to the pastor, and
Rev. Dr. Niles the charge to the people.

The Sabbath -school grew so thai the build-
ing was too small, and hence during the
summer of 1884, by the gifts of Samuel
Small, Sr., and his nephew, Samuel
Small, Jr., the building was enlarged and
improved, giving additional accommodations
for perhaps 100 pupils.

On the 7th of October, 1884, Isaac W.
Allen was ordained a ruling elder.

The present membership of the Sabbath-
school is 250, and that of the church eighty-
seven. Dm-ing the summer of 1885 a hand-
some new church was built by this congre-
gation.

The Moravian Church. — Among the first
Germans who purchased lots in 1741, at the
laying out of the town of York, were a num-
ber of Moravians. Services were held in
this county by Moravian missionaries as
early as 1744. Many years earlier than
this, missionaries of this denomination
conducted services among the Indians andi
the first settlers. Before there were any per-
manent settlements there was a trail or route,,
for the devoted missionaries of this church,
from their famous settlement at Bethlehem
across York County to their settlements in
Maryland. Rev. Jacob Lischy who, in 1744,
was the first pastor of the German Reformed
Church in York, was originally a Moravian.
His first membership was composed of Ger-
man Reformed and Moravian people. In 1751
Rev. John Philip Meurer was the first regu-
lar pastor, and during that year organized a
congregation. The same year a clergyman
of this faith, whose name cannot now be
given, organized a congregation in Codorus
Township, which existed for a time. The
York congregation worshipped in private
houses, until 1755, when a stone house was
built on what was then the outskirts of the
town, but now located on the corner of
Princess and Water Streets. In the adjoining
burying- ground are interred the remains of a
great many of the early residents of York
and vicinity. These graves are all carefully
arranged in rows, and numbered according
I to the original rules of the denomination.
The tombstones are all of the same height,
and of the same quality of stone. The
stone building, erected in 1755, and dedicated
on December 21, of the same year, was
used as a dwelling house for the minister,
and in a large hall in it, the religious services
I were held. A church was built in 1828.

The names of the pastors in order of suc-
cession since 1751 are Revs. Meuer, Engel,



BOROUGH OF YORK.



537



Neisser, Soelle, Schlegel, Schmidt, Herr,
Lindemeyer, Krogstrup, Scliweisliaupt, Roth,
Eeineke, Huebner, Bochler, Molther, Beck,
Eoudthaler, Miller, Loeffler, Kluge, Dober,
and Van Vleck.

From 1835 to 1861 the congregation was
served by the following named pastors in the
order mentioned: Kev. W. L. Lennert, 1835
to 1847; Rt. Rev. Samnel Reineke, 1847 to
1853; Rev. Ambrosius Rondthaler, 1853 to
1854; Rev. F. F. Hagen, 1854 to 1861; Rev.
S. M. Smith, 1861 to 1866; Rt. Rev. H. A.
Shultz, 1866 to 1868; Rev. W. H. Rice, 1868
to 1876; Rev. J. Blickensdorfer, 1876 to
1879; Rev. L. F. Kampman, 1879 to 1884;
Rev. E. W. Shields, 1884.

The church built in 1828 was used until
1867, " when under the pastorate of the Rt.
Rev. H. A. Shultz a site was purchased
on North Duke and the jsresent church
erected. It was dedicated by bis successor,
Rev. W. H. Rice, in 1868. Rev. E. W.
Shields, who at present ministers to the con-
gregation, entered upon his duties on the '20th
of Aiagust, 1884. In 1885, the church was
remodeled, the interior converted into one
large auditorium, into a basement story for
Sunday-school purposes, and a second story
for the church auditorium. The cost of these
repairs was $5,000. The congregation has a
total membership of 250 persons; a. communi-
cant list of 150.

St. PauVs Evangelical Lutheran Church.
— The services of the First Lutheran Church
for nearly a century were all conducted in
the German language. In the course of
time, however, the English language
unsurped the place of the German, and it be-
came necessary, especially in order to retain
the young, to conduct part at least of the
public services in English. Of this ne-
cessity no one was better aware than the Rev.
Dr. J. G. Schmucker, then the pastor of the
First Church, and hence, as early as the year
1825, he introduced occasionally English
preaching, and in the year 1828, established
also an English Sunday-school. This school
was held in the old brick schoolhouse which
stood in the rear of the chm-ch. The super-
intendent of this First Lutheran Sunday-
school in York, was the late Charles A. Mor-
The necessity for English preaching
1, and, in 1829, a call was extended
to Rev. Jonathan Oswald, then a student in
the Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg, to act
as joint pastor with Dr. Schmucker, and to
ofBciate in the English language. Mr. Os-
wald entered upon his duties in July, 1829.
He labored in this capacity for about seven
jears, until 1836. Shortly before the latter



date, it became evident, however, that the
demand for the use of the English language
was not being fully met by the occasional hold-
ing of English services in the German church,
but that there was a necessity for the establish-
ment of an exclusively English church. The
first meeting for this purpose was held Feb-
ruary 18, 1 836. Dr. Luke Rouse was elected
president; Frederick Baugher and Adam
Eichelberger, secretaries. A board of trust-
ees was apppointed, consisting of Daniel Kra-
ber, Charles Eppley, Luke Rouse, Michael
Sowers, John Immel, Adam Eichelberger,
Christian Hildebrand, Christian G. Pfahler,
George S. Ziegler, Conrad Shultz, Benjamin
Johnston and Abraham Forry. At a meet-
ing held February 26, 1836, Charles Weiser,
Luke Rouse, George P. Ziegler, Charles A.
Morris and Adam Wert, were appointed trus-
tees, Lewis Rosenmiller was appointed treas-
urer. A congregational meeting was held
on Sunday, February 28th, in the lecture
room of the Reformed Church, at which the
first council of the church was chosen as fol-
lows: Elders, Frederick Baugher, Jacob
Weiser, Abraham Forry, Adam Wert, Dr.
Luke Rouse, and G. P. Ziegler; deacons
Robert W. Long and John Immel. On Feb,
ruary 26, 1836, a constiution was adopted and
signed by sixty-eight male members. The
number of female members who entered into
the organization was about thirty. The Sun-
day-school was organized in November, 1886,
with Rev. J. Oswald, president; Daniel Kra-
ber, superintendent; Charles A. Morris, treas-
urer, and Mrs. C. A. Morris, female superin-
tendent.

The exercises of the Sunday-school and of
the congregation, from the time they left the
old church until they began worship in the
lecture-room of their own church, were held
in the lecture-room, and on special occasions
in the main room of the German Reformed
Church, which had been kindly tendered for
that purpose. A building committee was ap-
pointed, consisting of Charles Weiser, Dr.
Luke Rouse, Charles A. Morris, George P.
Ziegler and Adam Wert. The board of
trustees purchased the lot on the southeast
corner of Beaver and King Streets, of James
S. Conallee. The corner-stone was laid on
May 29, 1836, the Rev. Drs. H. L. Baugher
and J. G. Morris, together with the pastor
and other clergymen of the town officiating.
On the lyth of the following December, the
first worship was held in the lecture-room of
the new building. Rev. Dr. H. L. Baugher,
officiating. But "the great day of the feast,"
in the early history of the church, was June
11, 1837, when the finished building was



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



dedicated. The ministers officiating, besides
the pastor, were the Rev. Drs. Benjamin
Kurtz, J. G. Morris, H. L. Baugher and C.
P. Krauth. The size of the church was
50x75 feet.

The present charter of the church was ob-
tained on the 24th of May, 1839. In Janu-
ary, 1842, a parsonage was purchased, at the
northwest corner of George and King Streets,
for §2,500. On January 1, 1856, every dol-
lar of the church debt was paid. And from
a report then prepared and made to the con-
gregation by Daniel Kraber, it was ascer-
tained that since the formation of the con-
gregation, up to thattime, the sum of §15,287
had been collected and paid. On December
9, 1S57, the organ was bought, and ths gal-
lery lowered and other repairs made, the en-
tire cost of which was $946.

In 1858 the church was remodeled, the
walls frescoed, gas and furnaces introduced,
at a cost of 12,500.

On the 4th of November, 1868, a com-
mittee was appointed, consisting of Dan-
iel Kraber, David Emmit, ^yilliam Smith,
George W. Ilgenfritz and M. B. Spahr, for
the purpose of building a new church. The
design for the new building was one presented
by S. D. Button, of Philadelphia. Nathan-
iel Weigle was superintendent and builder;
Charles S. Weiser, treasurer. April 4, 1869,
the last services were held in the old church.
It is an interesting fact in this connection
that whilst, as already mentioned, Dr. H. L.
Baugher preached the first sermon that was
delivered in the old building, his son. Prof.
H. L. Baugher, preached the last one in it;
and as the father preached at the dedication
of the first house, so the son preached the
sermon at the dedication of the chapel of the
second house.

The corner-stone of the old building was
relaid June 12, 1869. At the same time a
new corner-stone was also laid. The dedi-
cation of the chapel took place January 9,
1870. on which occasion, in addition to the
$26,000 previously subscribed, $10,000 more
were subscribed.

The dedication of the church took place
March 12, 1871. The ministers officiating
besides the pastor, were the Rev. Drs. H. A.
Pohlman, J. A. Brown, F. W. Conrad and J.
Oswald, together with Revs. Solomon Oswald,
B. C. Suesserott and Prof. H. L. Baugher.
Dr. Pohlman preached the sermon; Dr. J.
Oswald, read the dedicatory services. The
line bell, weighing over 3,000 pounds, and
costing $1,400 was the handsome Christmas
gift of the church's faithful treasurer, David
Emmit. The cost of the building was about



$60,000. The Sunday-school has steadily
grown; it numbers at present about 440
pupils. During the year 1884, the average at-
tendance of the school was: officers, 14; teach-
ers,36; scholars, 180; infants, 83; total 312.

The present treasurer of the church, David
Emmit, tilled this position for more than
thirty years. The old organ, which was
bought in 1857, was, in 1882, replaced by a
much larger one, costing $3,600.

The first pastor was Rev. Dr. Jonathan
Oswald, who still worships with the congre-
gation. Chosen pastor by the little band,
which almost a half century ago colonized
from the old German Church, Dr. Oswald
continued most faithfully and successfully to
serve the congregation for more than twenty-
five years, until June, 1861, when his labors
were suddenly interrupted by serious illness.
With unfeigned sorrow, his devoted people
were obliged to accept his resignation on De-
cember 31, 1861. In a recent communication,
among other things, he writes as follows:
•'The old pastor is yet living, and he asks
nothing of this generation but that only
which John asked of the disciples of his
day: 'Little children, love each other.' He
wishes for nothing in behalf of this church
but that only which Paul supplicated in be-
half of the Ephesian Christians. And for
himself he asks nothing but that he may
worship with the children, whose fathers he
so often directed in the way of truth."

The second pastor was the Rev. Dr. W. M.
Baum. He began his ministry January 1,^
1862, and continued for twelve years, resign-
ing in February, 1874. The present beauti-
ful church edifice is largely the monument of
his tact, perseverance, and ability as a pastor.
A large part of the present membership of
the church was brought into it through his
instrumentality.

The present pastor, the Rev. Luther A.
Gotwald, D. D. , began his labors in this
church on the first Sunday in April, 1874.
After an experience of eleven years, he states
that he has found the congregation kind,
united, liberal and faithful in the discharge
of their Christian duties. St. Paul's Church is
one of the finest and one of the most delight-
fully located churches in Pennsylvania.

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church of York.
— This congregation was organized October
19, 1847, as the English branch of the First
Lutheran Church. About 100 members of
the old congregation joined the new, and
elected E. G. Smyser, Adam Klinefelter,
George A. Barnitz and Alex. Demuth, elders ;^
and W. F. Shetter, Benjamin Ziegler, John
Busser and Adam Bott, wardens.



BOROUGH OF YORK.



The causes which brought about this or-
ganization were, the demand for larger
church accommodations, and, on the part of
many members, a demand for preaching and
worship in the English language, exclusively.

Under^ the arrangement made by the old
and new organizations, there were certain
franchises granted by the "corporate ves-
try",'to the new or English branch. All the
church property was held in common. This
arrangement continued until March 3, 1860,
when a committee was appointed, consisting
of George A. Barnitz and E, G. Smyser, to
procure an "act of incorporation" for the
English branch of the congregation, which was
granted by the court. This same committee
was intended to confer with a similar commit-
tee of the "corporate vestry" in relation to a
division of the church jaroperty. On April 6,
1S61, the committees of the two councils met
and arranged articles of agreement on the pay- !
ment of certain church debts,and on the divis-
ion of the church property, and such other
matters as pertain thereto, which articles were
signed by the committees as representatives of
both congregations. Afterward these articles j
of agreement were ratified by the respective
church councils. In 1863, the "corporate j
vestry" of the First Lutheran Church exe-
cuted a deed, conveying the church lots |
fronting on South Duke Street, with Zion
Charch and the parsonage erected thereon, I
together with the graveyard, and all the \
ground then enclosed in fences to the
"Second English Lutheran ■ Church" — the j
corporate title of the English branch.

The first pastor was Rev. J. A. Brown, of i
Baltimore, elected January 22, 1848, and
resigned May 10, 1849. Rev. A. Essick, of
the Theological Seminary, Gettysburg, was
the second pastor. He served from Sep-
tember 11, 1849, to- April 6, 1850. Rev. j
Charles Martin, M. D. , of New York, was
called and entered upon his pastoral work.
February, 1851. During his ministry the
church on South Duke Street was finished.
The corner-stone was laid August 15, 1850,
while the congregation was vacant. Rev.
Dr. Lochman, pastor of the parent church,
conducted the exercises of the corner-stone
laying, and contributed much in counsel,
encouragement and sympathy, and the par-
ent congregation assisted largely in the erec-
tion of the building, and both pastor and
people continued in the most friendly and
sympathetic relation with the young congre-
gation during the entire ministry of Dr.
Lochman in the old church.

The church was dedicated July 13, 1851.
Its dimensions were 72 feet in length, and 52



in width, with basement, affording ample ac-
commodations at that time for church and
Sunday-school purposes. It cost $6,800, and '
was dedicated Zion Evangelical Luthera
Church.

Rev. Dr. Martin resigned in January



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 110 of 218)