John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 119 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 119 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


3 persons 588

Henry Will, 3 persons

John Wisler, 117 acres, 2 horses, 3 cattle, 5

sheep, 6 persons 684

Henry Waltman, 15 acres, 3 cattle, 3 sheep, 6

persons 145

Jacob Wine. 5 acres, 1 cow, 3 persons 35

Peter Will, Jr., 5 acres, 1 cow, 4 persons 89

Nicholas Walter, 5 acres, 1 horse, 1 cow, 1

trade, 2 persons 71

Nicholas Walter, Jr., 1 horse, 1 cow, 6 persons. 81

Michael' Will, 133 acres, 1 person 750

Martin Will, 50 acres, 3 horses, 4 cows, 8 sheep,

4 persons '. 344

Jacob Will, 130 acres, 2 horses,6 cattle, 10 sheep,

1 mill, 9 persons 983

John Will, 100 acres, 3 horses. 3 cattle, 6 sheep,

6 persons 533

Philip Werking, 1 lot 135

Valentine Weisang, 1 lot, 1 horse, 1 cow, 1

trade. 5 persons 319

Peter Weinbrenner, inn-keeper, 1 lot, 1 horse,

1 cow, 3 persons 341

Anthony Weaver, 1 lot, 2 persons 106

Jacob Wolff, 1 lot, 1 horse, 1 cow, 5 persons. . . 139

Erhart Winter, 1 lot, 3 persons 125

Balthaser Werner, 7 persons 13

Peter Walter, 1 lot, 1 horse, 1 cow, 6 persons .. 276
Peter Welsh, 1 lot, 1 horse, 1 cow, 1 still, 8 per-
sons 236

John Walter. 1 trade, 3 persons 50

Henry Welsh, inn-keeper, 1 lot, 1 horse, 1 cow,

1 slave, 6 persons 341

Henry Wershler, 300 acres. 3 horses, 4 cattle, 13

sheep, 6 persons, £893 12s.
Peter Young. 300 acres, 4 horses, 5 cattle, 10

sheep, 1 still

Adam Young, 5 acres, 1 cow, 6 persons 64

Michael Zimmer, 8 acres, 1 lot, 1 horse, 3 cattle,

9 persons 320

George Zlegler, 1 lot, 1 cow, 7 persons 134



SINGLE MEX.



^ Jacob Munder.
Nicholas Great.
John Miller.
Jacob Kook.
Jacob Chambers.
Adam Bridge.
John Breechner.
Michael Blintzinger.
David Bixler.
Jacob Bixler.
William Fauler.
Andrew Pink.
John Fink.
Henry Felly.
Jacob Gunkel.
Adam Ganshorn.
Peter Guhn.
Lawrence Hofman.



Edward Hentz.
Jacob Houck.
Frederick Heisley.
Christian Hoover,
Jacob Hosteller.
Jacob Heagy.
Andrew Smith.
Frederic Ungefehr.
Henry Wine.
Casper Jlelhorn.
David Mel horn.
Francis Weigel.
.John Eckert.
Dewaldt Young.
Adam Obold.
John Ungefehr,
Jacob Swope.
Jacob Young,



HISTORT OF YORK COUNTY.



GROWTH OF THE TOWN.

Hanover prospered for the first few years
of its existence, although the houses were
mostly built of logs. It was quite a village
when the Revolutionary war began, but the
war hindered its further growth. From 1790
to 1808 houses were erected more rapidly.
The Neiv and Universal Gazetteer, in 1800,
says that Hanover "is the second town in
York County for size and wealth. It contains
about 100 houses, mostly of brick, a German
Calvinist (Reformed) and a German Lutheran
Church. It consists of five principal streets,
two smaller ones and alleys. In the centre
of the town is a spacious square." A steady
increase in buildings and population contin-
ued until about the war of 1812-14, after
which the town remained nearly stationary
until 1840. Then there was a slight yearly
improvement until 1852, when the building
of the railroad to Hanover Junction caused
a sudden impetus, and the town doubled its
population in the next twenty years. Be-
sides the many new and handsome buildings
erected during this period, many of the
ancient log edifices were replaced by brick or
frame ones of modern architecture.

NOTED IMPROVEMENTS.

Early in the present century the work of
paving the sidewalks with flagstones or brick
was begun, although there was no regularity
of grade or width, and at many places there
were no pavements at all. But as the town
grew, the jDeople becoming more prosperous
became more progressive. On the 14th of
April, 1838, the residents of York Street
presented a petition to the town council,
asking for better pavements. Consequently,
Mayo. 1838, the council passed an ordinance,
decreeing that all lot-holders on York Street,
from Dr. Hinkle's (now Metzger's corner) to
John Kroh's property (fourth lot beyond
third alley), both included; and on the other
side (north side) from the corner to the
house of Frederick Gable (now Lewis
Michael's), both included; and on Baltimore
Sti-eet, from the house of Christian Wirt
(now Weutz & Overbaugh's corner) to that
of Peter Shultz (now Middle Street), and
from George Gift's (now J. W. Gift's) to
Gerhard Yost's (now Samuel Shultz's), were
to pave their sidewalks at a uniform grade,
the pavements to be laid with brick or flag-
stones, not less than four feet in width, from
the gutter. Carlisle Street asked for a simi-
lar ordinance in 1841, and the request, was
granted, the ordinance fixing the limits from
D. Barnitz's (now Bucher's corner of the
square) to Rev. Jacob Albert's (now George



D. Klinefelter' s), and from Jacob Metzger's
(now Grumbine & Brockley's) to Mrs. Ban-
ner's (now John S. Young's). We are unable
to find any record of the paving ordinance of
Frederick Street, but the points above given
will enable the reader to fix the built up
limits of the borough, about forty _years ago.
These limits had been so far extended in
1851, that the pavements on Carlisle Street
were ordered to be laid as far as the borough
line, and on Baltimore Street as far as the
residence of Adam Forney (now Michael
Strubinger's).

In 1872, while L. F. Melsheimer was chief
burgess, the streets and pavements of the
borough were thoroughly regraded; all the
streets were macadamized, and the pavements
relaid at a uniform grade and of the width
of twelve feet. Since this date the roadways
and sidewalks have been kept in good repair,
and during the past few years iron bridges
have been placed over the gutters crossing
the streets, and iron foot bridges at the
street crossings. It is now the boast of the
people of Hanover that no city or town in
the State possesses better pavements or more
level and solid streets. The beautiful
fountain which ornaments the square was a
gift to the town by Mrs. Jacob Wirt, A. W.
Eichelberger and Jacob Forney. The total
assessed valuation of real estate for the
borough of Hanover, in 1883, was 11,009,711.

INCORPORATION.

The town of Hanover formed a part of
Heidelberg Township from the time it was
first laid out until 1815. On the 4th of
March, of that year, it was chartered as a
borough by the legislature. The first elec-
tion was held at the house of Jacob Eichel-
berger, on Frederick Street, and resulted in
the selection of George Nace, as burgess;
Henry Winebrenner, Peter Winebrenner,
Jacob Ritz, George Frysinger, John Scholl,
William Young and Daniel Barnitz, council-
men; John Bart, was chosen constable. The
following- named persons have served as
chief burgesses since the incorporation to the
year 1885.

1816 — Jacob Eichelberger.

1817 — Hon. Jacob Hostetter.

1818— Dr. Peter Mueller.

1819— Hon. Jacob Hostetter.

1820 — George Frysinger.

1821 — Charles Barnitz.

1823-24-25— Jacob Eichelberger.

182(5— George Eckert.

1827 — George Barnitz.

1828— Henry Wirt, Sr.

1829— Luther H. Skinner.



BOROUGH or HANOVER.



579



1830— David Shnltz.

1831— Jacob Kline.

1832- George Trone.

1832 to 1888 no records.

1838— Joseph W. Schmidt.

1839— John Flickinger.

1840-41— William Bair.

1842 — George Young.

1843 — Charles Barnitz.

1844— Michael Bucher.

1845— Jacob Wirt.

1846— David Slagle.

1847 — Jesse Frysinger.

1848— Charles Barnitz.

1849- John Bair.

1850— George Trone.

1851 — Christian Smith.

1852— Jacob Wirt.

1853— Joseph Althoff.
.1854— David Bixler.

1855 — George Metzger.

1856 -David Slagle.

1857— Eufus Winterode.

1858— Washington Bair.

1859— Henry Wirt.

1860 — William Grambine.

1861-62 — Jeremiah Kohler.

1863— Joseph Slagle.

1864— Stephen Keefer.

1865— David S. Tanger.

1866— Henry C. Schriver.

1867— Cyrus Diller.

1868— William Bange.

1869— Henry Wirt.

1870— Allowies Smith.

1871— D. S. Tanger.

1872-73-74— L. F. Melsheimer.

1875-76- Dr. F. A. H. Koch.

1S7< — Daniel S. Barnitz.

1878— A. G. Schmidt.

1879— Dr. F. A. H. Koch.

1880— W. F. Stair.

1881 — George Bange.

1882— L. F. Melsheimer.

1883 —William Boadenhamer.

1884— Charles Young.

1885— Stephen Keefer.

Members of the present council: John
Warner, Alexander J. Gitt, Samuel Schwartz,
Lewis A. Utz, W. Chester Stick, John D.
Jenkins, George S. Krug, William Anthony;
J. H. Brough, secretary.

THE PUBLIC COMMON.

Col. McAllister died in 1795. The origi-
nal draft of the town having been lost, his ex-
ecutors, Archibald McAllister, Jesse McAllis-
ter and Jacob Eudisill, caused McAllister's
entire tract, including the town site, to be re-
surveyed in 1797, and sold off all the land



and town-lots belonging to the estate. The
tract known since as the " Public Common "
belonged to the estate and was partially
covered with timber. The citizens deter-
mined to secure this tract, which contained
twenty-three acres and seventeen perches, as a
public common; the executors agreed to sell
it for £351 Is. lOd. Over 100 persons sub-
scribed to the purchase money in sums rang-
ing from 7s. 6d. to £8. July 17, 1798, the
land was granted by the executors to George
Carl, Paul Metzger, John Hinkle, Henry
Welsh and William Gitt, as trustees, to be
held " in trust for the proper use of an open
air and free public common for all and every
one of the citizens and inhabitants of the
town of Hanover and their successors for-
ever, and for no other use or purpose what-
soever. " The land was used for a public
cow pasture for many years; at length, about
1839, lots began to be leased by the borough
authorities. Parties who leased them gener-
ally refused to pay the rent, claming that
the land did not belong to the borough, but
to the iDeople of the town of Hanover. Suits
were commenced and continued for years,
with offers of compromise made and
agreed to and then rescinded. In 1852, when
the Hanover Branch Railroad was built
across the common, a depot, warehouse, etc.,
were built upon the public ground. The
borough authorities ordered the railroad com-
pany to stop work until the damages were
assessed. In 1853 the damages were fixed
by a jury at $775. The company would not
pay; the borough council entered suit, and
then offered to compromise for half the dam-
ages awarded. Finally, March 17, 1858, the
matter was settled, the company paying $50
cash, and agreeing to pay a yearly rent of
$12 forever. The railroad being opened, lots
on the common, near the railroad, were in
demand. This led to a proposition to sell or
lease, in perpetuity, the entire tract. The
legislature was appealed to, but that body
was opposed to having lands leased in per-
petuity. Efforts were then made to get au-
thority to sell the tract, and Michael Bucher
surveyed it and layed it off into streets and
building lots, there being eighty of the
latter. A strong party of the citizens opposed
this scheme and desired to see the land
remain a public common. To sell this land
1 in lots would doubtless result in removing
the center of the town business thereto, and
in thus reducing considerably the value of re^l
estate in parts of the town remote from the
railroads, the people of which had contributed
liberally toward the building of the roads.
The other side urged the unproductive-



HISTORY OF YOEK COUNTY.



ness and uselessness of the common as it was,
argued that it might easily be made a source
of revenue to the borough, and considerably
reduce the burden of taxation. Many trips
were made to Harrisburg by representatives of
both sides, but all attempts to secure legisla-
tion failed. In 1854, lots began to be leased
at §14 each. Then, in 1S58, a contract was
made with Evans & Mayer, attorneys of York,
to secure a title equal to a fee simple title, to
the land for the borough authorities for the
sum of $500. An order was obtained from
the court, appointing F. E. Metzger trustee
for the people of Hanover: and soon after,
in accordance with an order of the court,
Mr. Metzger offered the tract at public sale.
It was bought by Henry "Wirt for the bor-
ough at the nominal sum of $5,400. Under
this title the borough to-day holds the Public
Common. Many lots are leased to sundry par-
ties, and on them have been erected dwellings
and other buildings. Larger tracts have
also been leased for lumber and coal yards,
cattle yards and to the railroad.

THE POSTOFFICE.

The present United States postal system
went into force in 1790, when the capital of
the United States was at Philadelphia. The
statistics of the Post Office Department, at
Washington, given below, show that the hrst
quarterly report made by Henry "Welsh, the
first postmaster at Hanover, was sent in Jan-
uary 1, 1795. His appointment was evi-
dently three months before this time. The
following letter illustrates that the income
for the quarter mentioned was not very large:

Gexeral Postopfice. )
Philadelphia, May 1.5, 1795. \

.Sir— Yours of April 19. with your quarterly ac-
couut, and one dollar and seventy-five cents, was
duly received. I am Sir,

Your obedient servant.
To Henry Welsh, Charles Burrill.

Postmaster, Hanover, Penn.

James Bolton was the second appointee.
George Nace. the third postmaster, had the
office in a building on the lot on Carlisle
Street, now owned by Samuel Michael. Dr.
Peter Muller succeeded, and kept it first on
Baltimore Street, where John Bair now lives.
He removed it to Frederick Street, and there
kept it until his death, in 1842, when his
daughter, Mrs. Theresa Myers, received the
appointment, holding the office until 1864. ~
The postoffice was thus held by members of
one family for over half a century. The
Postoffice Department at Washington fur-
nished the following information:



Poslmasler. Date of Appoinlmciil .

Henry Welsh *. January 1, 1795

James Bolton January 1. 1796

George Nace April 1. 1799

Peter Muller February 26. 1813

Theresa C. Myers November 4. 1843

Vincent C. S. Eckert March 11. 1861

William F. Stair August 39, 1864

John S. Forrest August 28, 1866

AutJiony J. Smith August 4, 1868

William F. Stair March 14. 1873

Mahlon H. Naill May 26, 1877

The following statistics, compared with
report of Postmaster Welsh, in 1795, will
give an idea of the growth of the business
of the office. In the third quarter of 1872,
there were sent 19,766 letters, and 3,000 pa-
pers; and 22,730 letters, and 4,200 papers
were received. This did not include county
papers received, nor town papers mailed from
the newspaper offices. In the third quarter
of 1884, 7,186 1 cent, 25,044 2 cent, 348
4 cent, 229 5 cent, and 222 10 cent stamps
were sold; besides 8,369 postal cards and
stamped envelopes, amoitoting to $177.37.
Money orders issued, 179, amounting to $2.-
106; paid, S3, amounting to $1,261.86. Postal
notes issued, 252, aggregating $525.74, and
51 paid, aggregating $140.03. Registered
letters sent, 118; received, 212.

The money order system went into force
in 1864; Hanover became a money order
office August 6, 1866. The office, for many
years, was kept in the Newman property,
west of Central Hotel. It is now on Carlisle
Street.

Dr. Peter Muller, who, for a period of
thirty years, less one day, was postmaster at
Hanover, was born in Coblentz, Germany,
May 17, 1765. He received a classical and
medical education in France, was well in-
formed in Latin, Greek and Hebrew, and
could converse in three or four modern lan-
guages. He immigrated to Norfolk, Va., in
1802; during the following year came to
Hanover, and began the practice of medicine
there, which he continited until his death,
October 14, 1842, having for a period of thir-
ty-nine years, enjoyed a large practice in
that community.

HANOVER SAVING FUND SOCIETY.

A charter for the organization of this
banking institution, was granted April 14,
1835, the cash capital being $10,000, with
the privilege of increasing it to $50,000.
The commissioners under the charter were
Benjamin Welsh, W. D. Gobrecht, Charles
E. Creamer, Daniel Barnitz, Dr. Hem-y C.
Wampler and Matthias N. Forney. The first



BOKOUGH OF HANOVER.



election was held July 1, 1835, and resulted
in the choice of Jacob Eichelberger, Jacob
Forry, Martin Klunk, D. P. Lange, Jacob
Young, John Sholl, Jacob Newman, Dr. H.
C. Wampler and Daniel Gobrecht, as direc-
tors. The board organized with Jacob Eich-
elberger as president; Matthias N. Forney,
as treasurer, and F. E. Metzger, as secretar_y.
The presidents, in order of succession, have
been Jacob Eichelberger, Jacob Wirt, Henry
Wirt, R. A. Eichelberger. The treasurers
have been Matthias N. Forney, F. E. Metz-
ger, Matthias E. Trone, R. A. Eichelberger,
and J. N. Slagle.who is the present treasurer;
H. Y. Sprenkle, teller; Paul Winebrenner,
book-keeper. Board of directors for the
year 1884: R. A. Eichelberger, president;
Henry Wirt, vice-president; R. M. Wirt, sec-
retary; Henry A. Young, Samuel Hostetter,
Conrad Moul, J. P. Broekley, W. P. Little,
Reuben Young. The deposits, August 25,
1875, were $590,228. The bank then paid
5 per cent interest on deposits. Deposits
September, 29, 1884, were 1502,332. The
interest on deposits then paid was 3 per
cent. The bank now owns a handsome large
new building.

Robert M. Wirt was elected president of
this institution in 1885, upon the death of
R. A. Eichelberger.

THE FIRST NATIONAL B.iNK.

This institution was organized 20th day of
November, 1863, through the efforts of
F. E. Metzger, Jacob Forney and Henry
M. Schmuck, there being^leven subscribej's to
the capital stock of $50,000.

At the same time Jacob Fc)rney was ap-
pointed chairman, and Henry M. Schmuck,
secretary, when the stockholders adopted and
executed the certificate of organization, and
articles of association.

November 25, 1863, Jacob Forney wf^s
elected president, and F. E. Metzger, cashier.
The latter resigned as cashier February 28,
1866, when J. H. Aulabavigh succeeded until
December 1, 1868, when Stephen Keefer
was elected, and served till March 19,
1873, followed by C. W. Fornev, serving till
May 3, 1876, and succeeded by J. H.
Alleman, the present cashier. George Kline-
felter is clerk and Frederick Stambaugh
assistant and



March 16, 1874, capital stock increased to if 100,000
April 28, 187.5, " " - '-$300,000

March 7, 1877, " |300,000

•Jacob Forney served as president until
January 13, 1875, when Dr. J. P. Smith
was elected. He was followed by Henry M.
Schmuck elected January 19, 1881.



The present board of directors is composed
of Henry M. Schmuck, president; Vincent
O'Bold, A. S. Himes, George D. Gitt, A. J.
Snively, G. H. Shirk, Andrew Rudisill, John
Krug and Samuel Basehore.

This institution, now in a very prosperous
condition, a few years ago built a large iron
front building, in which the bank is kept.

CHURCHES.

St. Matthew's Lutheran Church. — The first
German emigrants to this section of York
County, about 1731, were soon followed by
their religious teachers, and their first serv-
ices were held in private dwelling-houees.
In 1738,* Rev. David Candler, according to
the church record books, now in the posses-
sion of Rev. J. C. Koller, pastor of Sc.
Matthew's Lutheran Church, preached here.
He was a clergyman of very fair ability,
having been educated for the ministry in Ger-
many. The first permanent organization
was effected by him in May, 1743, and called
the "Evangelical Lutheran Church of the
Conewago." Rev. Candler organized "The
Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Monoc-
acy," near Frederick, Md., the same year,
and then became the regular pastor of both
congregations, but resided near Hanover,
about one-half mile, northwest of the site of
the present town. A log-church and school-
house combined, was built the same year of the
organization. The location of this building
and the graveyard that adjoined it, was on the
fork now made by the Hanover & Gettysburg
Railroad and the turnpike to McSherrystown.
The first elders were Lenhart Barnitz, Johan-
nes Morningatar, Andrew Hergar and Freder-
ick Gel wix. Among the principal contributors
to the erection of the church were Philip Morn-
ingstar, Michael Karl, Nicholas Biedinger
(Bittinger) and Christopher Schlegel (Slagle),
the last of whom was the heaviest coutribntor,
giving £1 3s. 9d. — each of the others gave £1.

Among the baptismal records we find that
of John Frederick Gelwix, in 1734, and Rev.
Candler's own children in 1738. The first
recorded baptism after organization was that
of Jacob Euler. The first marriage was .Jacob
Rohrbaugh to Margaret Bart. Her name is
written Bartliu; the termination "in," the Ger-
man ending to denote feminine gender, was
frequently added to the name of an unmarried
female at that time.

This church was the Second Lutheran
Church built in Pennsylvania, west of the
Susquehanna, taking its beginning a century
and a half ago, when Pennsylvania was an
infant colony, under George II, of England.

*See history of First Lutheran Church at York.



583



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



It was organized under the unaltered Augs-
burg Confession.

The original log-church lasted thirteen
years. Kev. Candler died in 1744, and his
remains were interred in the graveyard
adjoining the church. There are now no
traces of the chui-ch, and not even of the
historic graveyard. The land is now culti-
vated. Kev. Lars Nyberg, a Swede, was the
second pastor, under him Peter Schnltz,
Andrew Hergar, Michael Karl and Geoi-ge
Sponseiler were wardens. Rev. Nyberg was
at the same time pastor of a congregation at
York and Lancaster. He was not true to the |
Lutheran tenets, and seems to have been
justly accused of trying to introduce the
Moravian faith. He retired in 1746, and
Eev. Nicke preached during the interim,
until the election of Eev. Valentine Kraft.
During his pastorate the Monocacy Church !
was separated from this charge.

In 1752 Eev. -John Geoi-ge Eager, the an-
cestor of the Baughers of the Lutheran |
Church, became pastor. He was then thirty-
eight years of age, an emigrant from Nassau,
Germany, in which country he received his
education for the ministry. He preached in
the old log-church until 1756, when a new
!og-ehurch was built about one mile from
Hanover, near the Carlisle pike, on the farm
now owned by the heirs of David Sprenkle.
It was built eight years before the town of
Hanover was laid out by Eichard McAllister,
and seven years after York County was
erected, and was named St. Michael's Church.
The German Eeformed people were allowed
to hold services in it, and any other denomi- j
nations having regularly ordained ministers.
This was about the time of the rise of infi-
delity in America; hence we find recorded on
the old church books that atheists, deists,
unitarians, and such as profess no faith, were
forbidden the use of the church. It was
dedicated in 1756, and the following-named
persons selected as church officers: Nicholas
Bittinger, Frederick Gelwix, Philip Morn-
ingstai* Jacob Schlegel (Slagle), Jacob Ber-
lin, Jacob Lipp, Ludwig Miller, Henry
Schlegel, Michael Weybreoht, and Thomas j
McCartney. Eev. Eager officiated until 1763,
when he resigned, and for a time was pastor !
of a church in New York, and Christ's Luther- |
an Church at York. He returned again and
lived in the vicinity, when he became enfee-
bled and died. Karl Frederick Wildbahn, a
parochial teacher, who had been engaged to
teach in Winchester, Va., but was driven j
away on account of a raid made by the
Indians on that settlement, came to Hanover
and was licensed to preach by the special j



request of the congregation. He remained
from 1765 to 1782. The first date marks the
passage of the Stamp Act, and the last the
close of the Eevolutionary war. Among
the list of names above recorded as church
officers we find several who were sol-
diers of that war. AVheu Eev. Wildbahn
resigned, Nicholas Bittinger went to the
synod, which met in Philadelphia. He was
delegated to secure a pastor. Not succeed-
ing, he was authorized by that body to read
printed sermons from the pulpit, and, if
necessary, to perform other ministerial duties.

Eev. Daniel Schroeder became pastor in
1784, of whom not much is known, and for
the succeeding six years, the history is not
very deiinite. There are records, however,
of Eev. AVilliam Kurtz of Baltimore, and
Eev. Jacob Goering of York, occasionally
preaching. In 1790 Eev. F. Valentine Mels-
heimer was called. At his first communion
he reports 1 17 members. The congregation was
still worshiping in the log building, which
served them forty -five years. The graveyard
which surrounded this church is still enclosed.



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 119 of 218)