John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 120 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 120 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


There are now no remains of this, the second
church building, in which the congregation
so long worshiped, except the outlines of the
foundation. In the center of the graveyard,
marked by a marble headstone, rest the re-
mains of Rev. Eager. He died in 1791,
aged sixty-sis years. A few of the old tomb-
stones are marble, but most of them sand-
stone, with the inscriptions generally carved
in the German language. The familiar
names of Young (Jung), Welsh, Slagle,
Schlentz, Karl, Metzger, Etzler, Aulebaugh,
etc. , are found on the tombs a hundred years
old. In 1801 a new church was begun on
the site of the present one in the town of
Hanover. The lot was donated by Hon.
Jacob Eudisill. Col. Henry Schlegel,
George Carl and Henry Schultz were the
building committee. It cost £1,992 16s. 2d.
The spire, which still stands, was completed
soon afterward at a cost of $1,300. The
dedicatory services lasted three days, and
took place in 1807. Eev. Melsheimer was a
learned man, and much respected by the
congregation, which he served twenty-five
years. His remains lie in the church-yard
adjoining the present building. His son,
Eev. John P. Melsheimer, succeeded him,
and continued twelve years. In 1827, when
Eev. Jonathan Euthrauff became pastor. En -
glish preaching was introduced. The name
of the church was changed to St. Matthew's,
and a charter obtained.

Eev. Jacob Albert was elected in 1837.
During his pastorate the church was re-



BOROUGH or HANOVER.



modeled and repaired. In 1848 Rev. Charles
A. Hay. now of Gettysburg Theological Sem-
inary, was called. He remained one year.
The congregation was two years without a
pastor, when Rev. D. P. Rosenmiller served
six years. After his resignation Rev. M. J.
Alleman was elected, in 1857. The most
noteworthy event of his pastorate was the
organization of St. Mark's Lutheran Church,
in 1865, from the large membership of St.
Matthew's. Rev. Alleman became the pas
tor of St. Mark's, and Rev. Samuel Yingling
was called to St. Matthew's. The building
was partially destroyed by lire, which broke
out on Sunday morning during the regular
services. The loss was about $1,000. Rev.
J. C. Roller, the present efficient pastor, en-
tered upon his work in 1877. The next year
the old brick church, which had stood aljout
seventy-five years, was torn down, all except
the spire, and the present one built at a cost
of about $20,000. It was dedicated in No-
vember, 1879.

The present membership of the church is
800 communicants, the largest congregation
in York County. The Sunday-school numbers
400 pupils and teachers. Since Rev. Mr.
KoUer has been pastor, 425 members have
been added, and there has been a net gain
during that time of 220 members. A par-
sonage was built in 1884, at a cost of
$3,500.

EmanueVs Keformed Church. — The Re-
formed Church at Hanover, though not for-
mally organized before 1775, dates its local
origin from an earlier period, prior even to
the founding of Hanover. As early as the
5th of May,1747, the Reformed people of the
vicinity partook of the holy sacrament at the
hands of the pioneer missionary. Rev. Michael
Schlatter, in a schoolhouse, situated where
Christ's Church now stands, near Littlestown,
Adams County.

The next place of worship was in a build-
ing one mile northwest of Hanover. Here,
conjointly with the Lutherans, they built a
small church, where, at irregular intervals,
they enjoyed the ministrations of Rev. Ja-
cob Lischy, of York.

As soon as the Reformed people learned
of Richard McAllister's intention of found-
ing a town, they secured from him a plat of
ground for a church, a parsonage, a school -
house, and a grave-yard. Though the deed
was not drawn and signed till April 13, 1771,
the Reformed members, six or seven years
previously, had taken steps toward the erec-
tion of a church. A subscription list,
amounting to £78, was secured in 1764-65.
The list is headed with a subscription of £5



by Philip Meyer, followed by smaller sums
from Abraham Hull, John Starck, Conrad
Hoke, Conrad Starck, John Nicholas Forney,
Philip Forney, Marks Forney, Richard
McAllister, Adam Forney, Michael Carl, Ja-
cob Slagle, Adam Eichelberger, Henry Sla-
gle, Esq., George Zacharias, George Wine-
brenner, Michael Newman, Peter Shultz,
Henry Eckert, George Motter, Nicholas
Fisher. Nicholas Newman, Conrad Felty,
Henry Forney, Ludwig Schriver, etc., most
of whom have living representatives in the
present congregation.

The date when the log church was begun
cannot be ascertained, but there are records
which .show that it was in an unfinished state
in 1766, though occupied for purposes of
worship. The bell was imported from Eu-
rope at a cost of £62; Col. Richard McAllis-
ter and two others contributing £3 each
toward it.

For nine yeai's thei-e was no regular pas-
tor. Rev. Jacob Lischy, founder of the
church in North Codorus Township, took
great interest in the new Hanover Church,
and doubtless rendered occasional services.
A baptism administered by him, in 1769, is
on the church record. The first notice of
the administration of the Lord's Supper is
under date of 1770.

1775-81. —April 28, 1775, the hitherto
shepherdless flock secured a pastor. Rev.
Carl Ludwig Boehme. Rev. Boehme,
who was of foreign birth, had previous-
ly served the Reformed Church at Lan-
caster (1770-1775), from which place he
was called to Hanover, where he remained
till 1779, resigning to accept a call to Balti-
more. It was under Pastor Boehme that the
Reformed people at Hanover were formally
organized by the election of a consistory —
David Newman, Christian Muehlheim, Phil-
ip Meyer, as elders; Peter Winebrenner,
Jacob Clay, and Abraham Hull, as deacons,
were set apart to their respective offices, Oc-
tober 29, 1775. In connection with the
Hanover Church, Rev. Boehme Supplied
Christ's Church and the Abbottstown and
Lower Bermudian congregations. A school-
house built of logs, adjoined the parsonage
and church. It is yet standing, being one of
the oldest buildings in Hanover. The fact
that fifty-eight persons were confirmed by
the first pastor, during a ministry of less
than four years, is an evidence of his ear-
nestness and zeal, and of the youthful vigor
of the Hanover congregation.

1779-1807.— Rev. John Christopher Go-
breeht, the second pastor, was born in Ger-
many, came to America when a young man



HISTORY OF YORK COUIJTY.



of twenty years, and at tiie age of thirty-
three, according to his own words, "was led
by the Holy Spirit to enter the ministry, and
to win souls to Christ." In 1779 he was
called from Lancaster County to Hanover,
where he continued twenty-eight years, when
he was compelled, by the infirmities of age,
to retire from active service. He died here,
aged eighty-two years. His remains rest in
the burial ground belonging to the congrega-
tion. Kev. Gobrecht was an ardent patriot,
and a faithful servant of the church. His
field of labor in the Hanover charge, already
large when he entered it. was increased from
time to time by the addition of other congre-
gations. In his time the old log church at
Hanover was displaced by a new brick struct-
ure.

1809-14. —Rev. Charles Helfenstein, son
of a minister of the church, became the
third pastor and served about live years. Of
his ministry there is no account in the rec-
ords of the congregation, escept the bap-
tisms administered by him. But at Hano-
ver, as throughout his ministry of nearly
forty-two years, he honored his calling by a
consistent, devoted life. During the war of
1812 his love for his country impelled him
to urge men, publicly and privately, to rally
to the defense of the nation. His "political
preaching" aroused partisan hostility, and
to some extent weakened his' influence.
Though sustained by a majority of his con-
gregation, he concluded to withdraw, not
loving strife.

1815-26. — The foui-th pastor was Rev.
Jacob H. Wiestling. After serving several
congregations in and around Manchester,
Md., for a period of three years, he was
called to Hanover. Because of some dilii-
culty having occurred during his former pas-
torate, he stood disconnected from the synod
for some years. But because of his social
qualities, and more than ordinary jaulpit
talent, and notwithstanding the action of the
synod, his congregation retained him. In
1822, he was received again as a member of
the synod. His death occurred on the 25th
of February, 1826. He was buried in the
graveyard belonging to the congregation,
whence his remains were recently removed to
Frederick, Md. During Rev. Wiestling's
ministry the first parsonage was torn down,
and a brick building erected in its place.

1826-27.— May 28, 1826, Frederick W.
Bindeman tendered his services to the Re-
formed people, which were accepted; but in
less than a year, he was ignominously ex-
pelled from pulpit and parsonage.

1828-37.— February 19, 1828, the Rev.



Samuel Gutelius became pastor, and con-
tinued till June 19. 1837, when he resigned
on account of ill health. He was the first
pastor who preached in the English language
in Hanover.

Rev. Gutelius' ministry was acceptable to
the mass of the people. Few men of the
Reformed Chui'ch were more extensively and
favorable known than he. From the begin-
ning to the end of his public life he enjoyed
the general confidence and esteem of the
church. At Hanover, as in the seven other
charges which he served during his ministry
of forty-four years, he exhibited that fidelity
and energy which distinguished him as a
minister of the gospel.

1837-59. — This period of twenty-two
years marks the pastorate of Rev. Jacob
Sechler. There are many members of the pres-
ent congregation who enjoyed his ministra-
tion, and who bear testimony to his upright-
ness, earnest piety, and faithfulness in the
discharge of his pastoral duties.

Rev. Sechler closed his labors at Hanover
March 1, 1859. After his resignation, the
Hanover charge, then consisting of four con-
gregations, was divided into two charges,
named Hanover andLittlestown; Rev. Sechler
becoming pastor of the latter. During the
latter part of Rev. Sechler's ministry in
Hanover, the second church was torn down,
the old site abandoned, and the third (and
present) church built at the more eligible
location on Abbottstown Street, near the
center of the town. The dedication of this
building occurred May 25, 1856.

1859-82.— Rev. William K. Zieber D. D.,
became the eighth pastor of the congregation,
taking charge August 1, 1859, and continu-
ing his labors till May 1. 1882, when failing
health compelled him to retire from the
active ministry; though at the present time
serves his church officially as stated clerk of
the newly constituted Gettysburg Classis, to
which the Hanover charge belongs.

At first Rev. Dr. Zieber served two con-
gregations; the one in town, the other in the
country seven miles distant.

By action of classis, May 1866, the coun-
try congregation was discontinued, and the
Hanover Church, for the first time since its
foundation, a period of 100 years, was con-
stituted a charge by itself.

In 1870 a new parsonage was built on the
lot adjoining the church — the third built by
the congregation. In 1877 the present
church building was thoroughly renewed in
the interior, and handsomely furnished.
Dr. Zieber's pastorate embraced not only the
momentous controversial period in the Re-



BOROUGH OF HAKOVEE.



585



formed Church, but a period also when his
own eoQgregation, with others, was exposed
to the high-tide of unchurchly emotionalism
and religious sentimentalism which ignored
the efficacy of the sacraments, and paid little,
if any, regard to the divine factors in the
constitution of the church. Planting him-
self firmly upon what he regards as solid,
churchly ground, Dr. Zieber, by his positive,
christocentric preaching, succeeded in edu-
cating his people up to an acceptance and
intelligent appreciation of his own position.
During his ministry the services came grad-
ually to be prevailingly English; there being
but one German service a month at the close
of his pastorate.

The present pastor Kev. J. C. Bowman (to
whom we are indebted for this sketch), took
December 1, 1882. At the annual
ing of Gettysburg Classis, May 1883, at
the suggestion of the pastor of the Hanover
Church, a committee was appointed to take
preliminary steps toward organizing a second \
Reformed Church in Hanover. This move-
ment resulted in the organization of Trinity j
Reformed Chui'ch before the close of the year. |
The fii'st church contributed to the second
all of its German membership, together with j
a few others (seventy -five in all), and also a
liberal amount of money toward the erection
of church buildings.

Since the organization of Trinity Church,
the services in the mother church have been
exclusively English.

The present membership is 275. The Sun-
day-school, in both departments, 220 scholars,
taught by thirty teachers.

In addition to the Sunday-school library
there is a congregational library, open to
all the members of the church. This libra- '
ry numbers nearly 800 volumes of choice
books. I

A missionary society, composed of mem-
bers of the congregation and Sunday-school, \
meets once a month. It has enrolled about ,
200 members, "and contributes from $300 to
$400 annually to the support of missions.

Emanuel's Reformed Chiu'ch is justly
considered one of the most vigorous and
active congregations of the synod. Its
members sympathize with every advance :
movement, and liberally support the literary ;
and benevolent institutions of the church. \

St. Mark's Lutheran Church. — This con- j
gregation was organized in 1864, by mem-
bers of St. Matthew's Church, who desired
all religious services in the English lan-
guage. Rev. M. J. Alleman, who was then
the pastor of St. Matthew's, was elected pas-
tor of the new congregation. A building com-



mittee consisting of "William Young, Sr. ,
David Wortz, John Grove, David Myers and
Isaac Loucks, purchased a lot on the east
side of Carlisle Street, of William Beard,
for 12,100. The corner-stone of the church
was laid July "20, 1864. The clergymen at
this service were Revs. Daniel J. Hauer, C.
A. Hay, Rosenmiller, Henry and Alleman.
The building, which cost $14,261, was conse-
crated, September 24, 1865, by Revs. Hay,
Conrad, Hauer, Alleman. Albert, Rosenmiller,
Sheuer and Houck. Rev. Alleman continued
pastor until 1868, and was succeeded by Rev.
George Parson, of Milton, Penn. A bell
which weighed 1,017 pounds, was bought for
$600 in 1865. In 1871 an organ was bought
for $500, and a parsonage on Baltimore Street
for $3,400. This parsonage was sold, and a
new one built on Abbottstown Street, in
1885, at a cost of $8,000, including lot. In
July, 1875, Rev. Parson received a call to
Williamsport, Penn., and Rev. Daniel Shin-
dler, D. D. , became the j^astor, and served
the congregation until the 13th of May, 1883,
when he moved to Lancaster, Ohio. Rev.
George Scholl, D. D., of Baltimore, assumed
charge of it in January, 1884, and is
now the pastor. The membership under
him has greatly increased, and now numbers
275 communicants. The church building,
during the year 1884, was remodeled and en-
larged, at a cost of $13,000, including a
large pipe-organ, purchased in Boston. The
oriole bell of Baltimore, weighing 2,000
pounds, was presented to the congregation by
William Grumbine, of Hanover, in 1884. It
is also the town clock. The Sunday-school
which was organized in 1865, now numbers
300 pupils. J. F. W. Sleeder is the super
intendent. There is a library of well selected
books in connection with this church.

Methodist Episcopal Church. — Rev. James
Reed, in the year 1808, first preached the
doctrines of Wesleyan Methodism in Hanover,
holding services in a log-house on Frederick
Street, owned by Richard Chester. He
preached once a month for nearly a year,
when the services were discontinued, and
Methodist preaching was not again regularly
heard in Hanover until 1825. In that year
a young man from Hagerstown, Md., visited
Hanover, and ari'anged for services. The
first minister who came was Rev. Kennerly,
an eloquent speaker. In December, 1825, a
schoolhouse that stood on Carlisle Street,
where John S. Young now lives, was used.
Shortly after a schoolhouse on Frederick
Street (now used as the Spectator office) was
rented from Mrs. Ritz, and therein services
were held for five years. In 1827 Hanover



5S6



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



was placed in the Gettysburg Circuit under j
Eevs. Samuel Clark and George Hildt, and in
September of that year the first class was
formed of four members. By the end of
1827, the class had doubled its membership.
The class meetings were held at the house of
Abraham Lammott, on Baltimore Street, and
afterward at the house of Alexander Mcllvane,
on York Street. In 1827-29 Kevs. W. O.
Lumsdon, T. H. W. Monroe and J. H. Brown,
were circuit preachers. In 1829-30 Revs.
Samuel Kepler and John C. Lyon, and, in
1830-31, Eevs. J. Monroe, R. Clark and
Wesley Howe.

In 1829 a lot on Baltimore Street was
bought for $60, from George Himes. A
brick church was built at a cost of about
§1,000, and was dedicated November 27 and
28, 1830, Rev. Monroe, ofBciating. In 1859
Hanover was made a station. In 1863 "Will-
iam Wirt presented to the congregation a lot
of ground on Frederick Street, and in the
spring of 1864 the erection of a new church
was commenced thereon, which was dedicated
June 11, 1865. The old church on Baltimore
Street was sold to St. Joseph's Catholic con-
gregation, and is now used for parochial
school purposes. In 1867 the church at New
Oxford was added to this station. In 1883
the audience chamber was remodeled and the
walls frescoed. Church membership, 100.
The Sunday-school is superintended by F. A.
Ziegler; it numbers 150 members.

The following is a list of the names of
ministers in charge during the years named:

1832-33— Charles B. Young and J. L.
Pitts.

1834-35 -Charles B. Young and J. W.
Richardson.

1835-36— R. Bond and C.'J. Housewest.

1837-38— A. Smith and J. H. Brown.

1838-39— Amos Smith and J. M. Jones.

1839-40— H. Furlong and J. M. Jones.

1841-42— J. Forrest and Wesley Howe.

1842-43— T. McGee and H, Hoffman.

1843-44— T. McGee and T. Reese.

1845-46 — D. Hartman and J. Boggs.

1846-47— D. Hartman and T. W.^Ewing.

1847-48 — J. Bards and W. Mewinger.

1848-49— J. Bards and J. W. Etcheson.

1850-51— F. Dyson and F. S. Cassaday.

1851-52— F. L. Switzer, William Butlei
and Henry Bellman.

1852-53— F. L. Switzer and John B.
Dean.

1853-54-J. R. Darborow and D. ^V.
Price.

1854-55— J. R. Darborow and D. Monroe.

1855-56 -W. M. Gwynn and W. A.
Snively.



1856-57— W. M. Gwynn, R. E. Wilson and
J. C. Stevens.

1857-58—0. Ege and J. C. Stevens.

1858-59—0. Ege and G. W. Dunlap.

1859-60— Edward Kinsey.

1861-62— J. P. Swauger.

1862-63— J. S. McMurray.

1863-64— A. W. Guyer.'

1864-65— J. C. Stevens.

1865-66— W. A. Houek.

1867-68— J. A. Ross.

1868-69— F. Gearhart.

1869-70— J. A. Dixon.

1871-73— W. H. Keith.

1873-76— Milton Frost.

1876-79- A. W. Miller.

1879-81— A. F. Gibson.

1881-83— William McKendree Reily.

1883- J. C. McCord.

St. Joseph's Catholic Cliurch. — St. Joseph's
draws its existence from an humble origin.
Between 1820 and 1830 the first mass, of
which there is any record, was celebrated by
Rev. Father De Barth from Conewago
Chapel, a shop being used as a place of wor-
ship. Father De Barth exchanged Conewago
for Baltimore in 1S28, and no traces are left
of any service till 1853, when Rev. Father
Cotting gathered the Catholic children for an
occasional instruction in catechism. With
the removal of the father from the chapel,
the instructions ceased. An entire decade
passed away, till Father Dompieri, in 1863,
made a successful attempt. The holy sacri-
fice of the mass was once more offered up,
some thirty persons being in attendance.
The place of worship was in the dwelling of
the late Jacob Hilt, on Carlisle Street, now
the house of Mrs. Joseph Dellone. His zeal
and untiring efforts established a regular
weekly divine service, held on Wednesday.
The room, changed into a chapel, did not
grow in dimensions as Catholicity waxed in
numbers; and no St. Gregory Thaumaturgus
being at hand to push out the walls, the
good father, the year following, purchased
the Methodist Episcopal Church on Balti-
more Street for S900. After the proper re-
pairs of the building, the Wednesday service
was increased by mass and sermon twice a
month, on Sundays. The divine seed did not
fall upon stony ground. In 1868 the church
was enlarged by an addition of 40x35 feet
at a cost of $2, 145. The old church served also
as a' schoolroom. The school had nearly
100 children, taught by Miss Alice Dellone.
A cupola was built and a bell of 1,834 pounds,
costing $945, was placed in it. It was the
largest in the town until 1884.

Scarcely seven summers had passed, and the



BOROUGH or haistover.



58T



new structure completer! by Kev. Fr. Manns,
proved to be too short and too narrow for
the growth of the Catholic population. Ad-
joining lots were secured, with a two story
brick building, which was remodeled for
school purposes and a dwelling for the teach-
ers. A draft was made for a new temple,
the limits were staked off (140x54) in spring
1877, and in October following the corner-
stone was laid in the presence of several
thousand people. The late Rev. Joseph
Euders of Conewago Chapel presided on the
occasion, being the chief promoter of the new
edifice. Some folks - became prophetic, that
by Christmas the building would be under |
roof. Their intention was praiseworthy, but
material aid did not keep pace with their
wishes. The work lay dormant till May,
1S7S, when it was plied in earnest and with
vigor. Toward the 4th of July, the walls
and tower had reached their proper height,
the roof was framed, and in the fall the
church was covered. The pastor was pressed
on all sides to hasten the work. Money was
offered in abundance, but with a little clause
— at 6 per cent. Every offer was thankfully
declined. The pastor's determination not to
contract debt was like a wall of brass. His
principle is at present admired by all. It
was consecrated November 1, 1880. The
extire expense, together with tower and
steeple and stained glass windows, reached
the sum of a little less than $20,000. The
present congregation counts 700 souls, under
the pastoral care of the venerable Father
Emig.

Trinity Reformed Church — This congre-
gation was organized on the 4th of January,
1884, with a membership of 125. Of this
number, seventy-five were members of Eman-
uel's Reformed Chui'ch, of Hanover, who
joined the new organization. The first eld-
ers elected were Dr. O. T. Everhart, Abra-
ham Baker and Jonas Rebert; the first dea-
cons were Wi iliam Hoke and Jacob Siegfried.
The congregation unanimously called as
their pastor. Rev. H. Hilbish. who, at the
time, was pastor of several congregations
surrounding Hanover. His charge was re-
constructed when he accepted the pastorship
of Trinity Church, and still continued to
preach for two other congregations, viz.:
Sherman's and Bartholomew's. Trinity con-
gregation worshipped for a time in the
United Brethren Chapel, on Abbotstown
Street. A building committee, composed of
Samuel Swartz, A. Baker and Charles Bow-
man, was appointed; a lot on York Street was
purchased of Peter Flickinger, for $1,800.
The corner-stone of the church was laid on



Whit Monday, 1884. The chapel was dedi-
cated October 19, of the same year, by Rev..
Clever, of Baltimore, and Rev. Dr. Santee,
of Cavetown, Md. The church, in August,
1885, is not quite completed, the chapel be-
ing still used as a place of worship. The
cost of church, when completed, will be
$15,000, The congregation, under the pas-
toral care of Rev. Hilbish, is rapidly increas-
ing in its membership, and now numbers
235. The Sunday-school of 165 members is
superintended by Dr. O. T. Everhart.

United Brethren in Christ. — A church was
built in 1847. The board of trustees and
building committee were Martin Lohr,
George W. Stouffer and Simon Bishop. The
church was dedicated October 24, 1847, by-
Bishop Russell. The other clergymen pres-
ent were Revs. George Miller, P. E., John
Fohl. Samuel Enterline and J. C. Smith.
Rev. J. Fohl became the first pastor. A



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 120 of 218)