John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 125 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 125 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


interesting and attractive village of Hellam.
This place had long been the site of a hotel
and one or more stores. For several years
past the mercantile business has been con-
ducted by John W. Gable, who also served
as postmaster, and by George Paif, who was
recently appointed to this office. Hellam
(but why not call it Hallam?) has a number
of new and handsome residences. A large
number of cigars are made in the town and
vicinity, which tends to increase the prosper-
ity of the community.

Large crops of an excellent quality of to-
bacco are annually raised in this township,
the soil being specially adapted to the culti-
vation of tobacco. The York & Wrights-
ville Railroad crosses the township; one of
its leading stopping jjlaces is Hellam Station,
one-half mile from the village. George
Loucks is the agent. A neat and cozy sta-
tion house has recently been erected.

A new United Brethren Church was
built in the village in 1885. The church of
the Evangelical association is toward the
east end of the township.

Dr. John Houston began to practice
the healing art in this vicinity, in 1770. The
present physicians are Drs. Deisinger and
Armstrong.

HISTORICAL NOTES.

The old homestead of Gen. James Ewing,
of Revolutionary fame, is situated in the
east end of this township.



HISTORY or YORK COUNTY.



Near the present site of Wrightsville, was
a Quaker meeting-house nearly a century ago,
of which mention is made in the articles ou
the Friends in this work.

The beautiful valley was the habitation
of Indians before the settlements of the
whites. Indian relics have been found at
different times and places, especially along
the streams. In 1835 a brass medal, a humaa
scull and several other articles were dug up
near Wrightsville. The medal had carved
on one side the words "George, King of Great
Britain, and on the other an Indian, with his
bow and arrow in the act of shooting a deer.
It appears to have been worn as an ornament
for the nose or ears. There were also found
near by a brass kettle, a string of white
beads, which was one and a half yards in
length, some red paint and twenty-live rings,
one of which was dated 1716.

Id December, 1819, Jacob Strickler,
of Hellam Township, sent a hired man to
Baltimore with a load of clover seed. The
man absconded with the proceeds — $400.

Christian Noel was killed while hauling
logs in Hellam Township, near Wrightsville,
November 6, 1819.

lEON ORE INTERESTS.

In certain sections of this township are
rich deposits of iron, ore and ' large
amounts have been taken out. Wilton's
Bank, one and a quarter miles southeast
of Wrightsville, was opened in 1850; about
12.000 tons of brown hematite ore were
taken out by Henry Wilton, who leased
the property of Jabez Jenkins. It was
afterward owned by Harris Wilton.

Benjamin Strickler's Bank was opened
about 1852 by Mr. Bahn, and then leased to
Mr. Musselman. of Marietta, who worked it
for several years. It is now abandoned.

The Stoner Bank, situated three and a half
miles southwest of Wrightsville, was opened
in 1850, and from that date to 1875 there
were forty-two. Seven hundred and fifty
tons of ore were taken out by Musselman
& Watts. Shafts were sunk at this bank,
whose area is about three-fourths of an acre.

Rudy's Banks are situated a half mile west
of Stoner's, and cover an area of about one
and one-fourth acres. This bank was opened
in 1862 by Musselman & Watts, and
worked as an open cut. There were 9,872
tons of ore taken out here, which contains
41 per cent of metallic iron.

Ruby's Bank, four and a half miles south-
west of Wrightsville, was opened in 1860,
and worked four years by James Meyers, of
Columbia, as lessee. The bank, though now



caved in, was an open cut, at one place 180
feet deep. Near by was Keller's ore pit.

Hiestand's Bank is a very large one,
situated along the Glatz Ferry road. It
covers an area of an acre. Large amounts
of ore were taken out by Musselman &
Haldeman as lessees. Samuel and Jacob
Dietz's Banks \rere leased by Stephen F.
Eagle, of Marietta, in 1868, and 3,000 tons
of ore taken out.

Fritz's Bank was opened, in 1864, by
Meyers & Benson for five years, and after-
ward by Benson & Cattrell. A twenty-horse-
power engine and twenty men were employed.
The ore contained 44 per cent of metallic
iron.



THE TOWNSHIP OF SPRING GARDEN.

SPRING GARDEN was formed from por-
tions of Hellam and York Townships, in
the year 1822. It lies nearly in the center of
Springetsbury Manor. The name, however,
was suggested, it seems, from the similarity
of its location to York, in comparison with
Spring Garden District, originally situated
north of the city of Philadelphia, but now
within its limits. It is bounded on the
north by the Borough of York (to which two
sections of it were recently annexed), and
Manchester and West Manchester; on the east
by Hellam, and ou the south by Wind-
sor and York, and contains an area of fertile
and productive land, mostly limestone,
which is unexcelled in Pennsylvania.

In 1880 Spring Garden contained a popu
lation of 4,110. In 1883 the number of
taxable inhabitants was 1.232; valuation of
real estate, $2,265,670; county tax, $8,810;
State tax, $372. For wealth and population,
it is the banner township in the county.
Within its limits are many beautiful subur-
ban homes. The history of the villages of
this township was written by C. H. Fry,
Esq., of Freystown.

THE VILLAGE OF FREYSTOWN.

Freystown, now East York, is situated in
this township, adjoining York. It was
named Freystown in honor of Godfrey Frey,
who laid out part of the town, about 1814.
The principal highways are East Market
Street, of York extended. Low and East Phil-
adelphia extended. The town is about one
mile in length and one-half mile in width.
The first house was built over 100 years ago,



SPRING GARDEN TOWNSHIP.



and was known as "The Fort." It was a {
two story stone building, thirty-six feet j
square, with an arched cellar under the
whole building. The lot of ground, upon
which this house was erected, was surround-
ed with large sycamore trees. The property
was at one time owned by Rev. Dr. Oath-
cart, and then by Thomas C. Hambly, and
next by Henry Kauffelt, fi-om whom it was
bought, in 1867, by C. H. Fry, who tore out
the arched cellar. The property is now
owned by John Miller. The first engine
house, a one-story frame building, stood
between Hartman's hotel and George W.
Shefler's store, and where the pump on the '
street now stands. It was bought by Henry
Wolhoif, who sold it to John Ness, whose
widow now uses it as a summer kitchen.
The lot on which the present engine house,
a brick building, stands, was bought from
John Sleeger by Daniel Loucks, president of
the fire company, in 1857, and the company
was named "The Good Will Fire Company
No. 1." The implements and machinery
used to outen a fire were a hand engine, ,
leather buckets and ladders. The hand en-
gine was made by Morris Gardner. The
members of this company were called by the '
nickname of "Rats," and afterward "Hor-
nets." They participated in extinguishing [
some of the large fires in years gone by, such
as the Luttman Hotel fire, Motter's fire, west
of the bridge, at which they were second to
throw water. This company was organized
December, 1839. The first president was
Jacob Neff; secretary, Christian Sheifer, and
treasurer, Michael Boeckel. The officers at
present are Emanuel Frey, president; Mar- ;
cellus Fried, vice-president; C. A. Boyer,
secretary, and John Miller, treasurer. Num-
ber of members at present, thirty -two.

The Spring Garden Band was first called
"The Spring Garden Silver Cornet Band."
It was organized in 1855, with William
Frey, president; Emanuel Boeckel, secretaiy,
and John Miller, treasurer. The band enlist- !
ed, during the late war, with the Eighty-sev-
enth Pennsylvania Volunteers. The present ,
officers are E. D. Zeigler, president; L. '
T. Deininger, A. A. Wasson, Jacob Hose,
Elias Eyster, Grier Hersh, and B. C. Pentz,
vice-presidents; John Miller, treasurer; Cal.
A. Boyer, secretary; Emanuel Kissinger,
leader; L. H. Grenewald, drum major. \

The Spring Garden Relief Association
was incorporated December V2,, 1866, organ-
ized January 1, 1867. The officers are Will- ;
iam Frey, president; Ed Blauser, vice-presi-
dent; John Miller, treasurer, and Emanuel
Frey, secretary. Membership is ninety-five.



The Lutheran Church is a brick building
on East Market Street. The land was do-
nated for the same by Daniel Loucks. He
stipulated in the deed of conveyance that
the church was only to be used by the Lu-
therans. The membership is 90; Sunday,
school, 150 pupils. Bethany Chapel, a
union meeting house, is on Low Street, and
has a membership of probably 50, and a
school of perhaps 100. Ridge Avenue Meth-
odist Episcopal Church is a frame building,
and is located on corner of East Philadelphia
Street and Ridge Avenue. It was built in
1882, and has a membership of about 60»
and Sunday-school of about 140 pupils. Th&
present minister of the Lutheran Church is
Rev. M. J. Alleman, and of the Methodist
Church, Rev. O. S. Metzler. Bethany
Chapel has no regular preacher. There are
three good brick schoolhouses in the place j
in one of the buildings there are four schools;
two in the second and one in the third.
There are seven schools of about 50 pupils
each. The population of the town is about
1,500. In 1865 the population was only
about 500; the greatest increase has been in
the last seven years. The town has eleven
stores, including one drug store and one
hotel. The manufactures are Billmyer &
Small's Passenger Car Shops, which are the
largest in the State of that particular kind
of shop; York Paint Manufactory, and Sash
Factory. There are a great many persons
living in Freystown who are more than
seventy-five years old.

The basket making business is a great in-
dustry on Low Street, as nearly every house
of the fifty-five along this street, on both
sides, is a basket manufactory, employing
from five to ten hands. This street is known
through all York County, and at a great
many places outside of the county, as "Bull
Frog Alley." This name was given to it
about sixty years ago, by one John Frey,
who, with his father, lived in a small, one-
story frame house — the only one then on the
street. The adjoining land then was swampy
and marshy, and contained a large number
of frogs, so that they kept up a continual
noise during the evening and night, and
John Frey above mentioned, a boy of about
twelve years of age, claimed that he
could not sleep on account of the croaking
of the frogs, and that he wanted to move
out of that "Bull Frog^ Alley." This inci-
dent gave to Low Street that name, by which
it is best known ever since. The industry
of basket-making on this street yearly amounts
to considerable money. The manager of one
of these shops reports that he sold in 1884.>,



HISTOKY OF YOBK COUNTY.



of his own manufacture. S3,000 worth of
baskets. In 1880 he sold -15,000 worth.
These basket-makers are nearly all German,
and are industrious and prosperous. Those
people in Low Street who do not follow the
basket-making business, are called gypsies,
and have their winter residence on this street,
but as soon as spring comes, they pull out
with horse and wagon, and roam over the
country, the men trading horses and the
women telling fortunes, returning in the fall
with greatly replenished purses.

PLEASUREVILLE.

PleasurevilJe, known all over York County
"until a few years ago as ' 'Possumto wn. " John
Myers lived at the place half a century ago,
when there were only a few houses, and the
surrounding country was covered with a dense
forest. His only occupation was "coon and
possum hunting," and he had constantly
nailed on the front of his house scores of
opossum skins, and from this circumstance the
town got its first name. The town is situated
on the road leading from Freystown to
Rudy's Mill (formerly Brillinger's Mill),
about two miles and a half, northeast from
York, and has a population of nearly 300.
The houses in the place are nearly all
frame, and the number of dwellings at
present is sixty-three. The town has a two-
story brick schoolhouse, in which are a second-
ary and primary school. There is also a large
three-story frame hall in the place, in which
the Mount Zion band meets (of which William
Leightoer is leader, and has nineteen mem-
bers), and the Pleasureville Relief Association,
which has been in existence some fifteen years
and numbers eighty-four members. There
is a tine frame church in the place known as
the United Brethren Church, of which Rev.
Jacob Smith is pastor — membership eighty-
four. A. Bowers is superintendent of the
Sunday school and it numbers 130. There
are three stores, one blacksmith sbop, one
shoe- making shop and four cigar manufac
tories.

THE C4LADES.

The place, known as the Grlades, is situated
along the public road from Freystown to
Vinegar Ferry, about seven miles northeast
from York. The name of Glades was given
to it seventy years ago, by travelers going
from York to the river on account of it
being an open passage or space, in what was
then a forest for miles around. This region
now covers an area of about one mile and a
quarter long by fourteen miles wide, and con-



tains about thirty houses, with a brick school -
house, one store, one blacksmith and wagon-
maker shop, and one cigar manufactory.

STONY BROOK.

Stony Brook is a hamlet of recent origin
along theWrightsville Branch Railroad, where
it crosses the York & Wrightsville Turnpike.
There are ten houses there, including some
very tine ones, store, postoffice, coal yard and
warehouse.

The Mennonite meeting house is a distance
south of this place.

THE SCHOOLS.

The public schools of this township have
an excellent reputation and are under good
management. The entire valuation of school
property is §2 1 ,000. The names of the schools
are as follows: Freystown (high school. King
Street and Philadelphia), Hyde's, Glat-
felter's, Gotwald's, Plank Road, Lefever's,
Stony Run, Miller's, Slount Zion, Glade's,
Pleasureville and Hiveley's.

MOUNT ZION CHURCH.

Mount Zion Church is located in Spring
Garden, about three and a half miles north-
east of York, and is owned conjointly by the
Reformed and Lutheran denominations. It
is a frame structure, built in 1852. The
building committee representing the Re-

; formed congregation were Z. Spangler and
Jacob Dietz; on the Lutheran, Thomas Plow-
man and A. Sipe. The Reformed congrega-
tion was organized by Rev. F. yV. Vandersloot

j in 1852 with eighteen members. Its elders
then were "William Spangler and Daniel
Byerts. A. Dougherty was the tirst deacon.
April 17, 1852, the first communion was held.
Since its organization, the following-named
ministers of the Reformed Church have served
this congregation as pastors : F. W. Vander-
sloot, D. Bossier. R. Smith and A. Wanner, D.
D. The last named became supply to this con-
gregation in 1870. He served in this capacity
until 1882, when Mount Zion congregation
became united with the Kreutz Creek charge,
of which Dr. Wanner was then pastor. At
the tirst communion he held, in 1870, twenty-
two persons communed. The congrega-
tion now (1885) numbers 102 members, and
is in a nourishing condition.

A charter was obtained for the two con-
gregations in 1867. It gives them equal
rights in the ownership and use of the church
property. The trustees then were Jacob
Miller, Christian Gingerich and John Knaab
from the Reformed, and D. Heidelbaugh,




cl.6a^ Cl-i^



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



Samuel Gingerich and John Flory from the
Lutheran congregation.

A large and flourishing Union Sunday-
school has been kept in the Mount Zion
Church since 1867, and for many years it has
been the largest Sunday-school in York Coun-
ty outside of the villages. It now (1885)
numbers, including officers and teachers,
about 200 in average attendance. The pres-
ent superintendent is Jacob Drohrbach. The
original plat of ground contained one acre,
subsequently six additional acres were pur-
chased, and a large cemetery laid off. In No-
vember, 1852, Kev. C. J. Deiainger organized
the Lutheran congregation with eighteen
members, which, at the time of his death, in
1885, had increased to 200 members. In his
official work for this congregation Eev.
Deininger, during his thirty- five years as
pastor, baptized 656 infants and 25 adults,
confirmed 271 persons and officiated at 215
funerals. Some of the prominent members
of the Lutheran congregation who have
taken an interest in the church work were
Daniel Heidelbaugh, John Fritz, Henry
Kunkle, Henry Smyser and Michael Dietz.
Eev. J. Henry Leeser was elected pastor in
1885.

CHUKCH OF THE EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION.

This is known as Green Hill Church, and
is situated in the southern part of this town-
ship. It originated in 1868, first as a Sunday-
school and prayer meeting, in a carpenter
shop on the property of Michael Shellen-
berger. The same year and the year following
Kevs. Rearick, J. C. Smith and J. Bowersox,
of York, conducted services here. In 1869
Mr. Shellenberger died, and his heirs deeded
a tract of land to a committee for a church
and cemetery. In 1870 a building was erect-
ed at a cost of 11,300. Rev. Farnsworth was
then pastor.

The following ministers have since served
J. Manbeck, H. W. Shenberger, A.W. Shen-
berger, J. Snyder, H. Conrad, N. Young, E,
S. Brownemiller, D. P. Kline, S. Aurand
George Garothers, W. H. Lilly, S. Aurand,
W. H. Gross, A. Grouse, C' F. Kephart
S. Rearick, C. W. Finkbinder, C. H. Good
ling, H. N. Greeninger, M. J. Snyder and
L. E. Crumbling.

The church trustees are George Druck,
John L. Snyder, S. D. Shellenberger, Henry
Campbell and B. S. Shellenberger. Church
membership in 1885 was forty. A Sunday-
school has been kept in this church, of which,
at different times, the following persons have
been superintendents: A. Sipe. A. G. Sim-
mons, H. Kreidler, H. Conrad, J. A. Wise,



J. S. Geist, J. S. Billet, Amos Druck
Walter Brown.



THE TOWNSHIP OF MANCHESTER.

MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP was laid
out under the authority of the Lan-
caster County Court, in 17-12, by Thomas
Cookson, deputy surveyor^ and his assistant.
Its original limits are not clearly defined, but
seem to have included an irregularly formed
parallelogram extending across the north-
central portion of what is now York County,
then a portion of ' 'Lancaster County, west of
ye Susquehanna." Some land, as far west as
the Bermudian Creek, was taken up within
the original limits of Manchester Township.
In 1748, its area was confined to its present
territory, and that of West Manchester. It
then contained possibly 300 inhabitants, a
number of cleared and cultivated tracts, and
here and there a few Indian wigwams. The
native forests were a dense growth of oak,
chestnut, hickory ash, etc. It then formed an
irregularly shaped polygon extending diag-
onally from the Susquehanna toward the
center of the county, near which it terminated
in a point Its length was fifteen miles and
its breadth four and a half miles, with the
"Great Conewago and Little Conewago'' as
its northwestern, the Codorus as its south-
eastern and the broad Susquehanna as its
eastern boundary, thus being almost sur-
rounded by water. Newberry and Dover
Townships were north and Hellam and Spring
Garden, south of it. The first settlers in
the northern part of the township were En-
glish Quakers, but the greater portion, was
settled by German emigrants, who soon be-
came thrifty farmers. In 1783, it contained
267 houses," 218 barns, 21 mills, small and
large; 10 negro slaves, 3 redemptioners,
1,465 inhabitants, and 29,723 acres not va-
cant. The northern boundary of Springets-
bury Manor passed nearly through the center
of the original township, south of the
40th parallel of north latitude, which crosses
the county a short distance south of Emigs-
ville. The township of West Manchester
was formed from Manchester, in 1799, leav-
ing within Manchester, 350 taxable inhabit-
ants.

The township at present is one of the
most fertile and productive in the county. It
contains very little woodland, and no waste
land.



613



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY".



The northern part is within the mesozoic
sandstone region and the southern part in
the limestone belt. Grain of different kinds
produce well, and within the past ten years
an abundance of fine tobacco has been
raised in the eastern part of the township.

In 1883 the number of taxable inhabitants
was 835; valuation of real estate $1,766,464;
number of work horses and mules 647, valued
at $55,075; number of cows 802, valued at
$20,050; State tax $521; county tax $6,738.
The population in 1880, including the bor-
ough, was 4,066. In point of real estate val-
uation it is exceeded only by Spring Garden,
and in population is third on the list. Spring
Garden and Hopewell being ahead.

TAXABLE INHABITANTS IN 1783.

The following is a complete list of the
taxable residents of Manchester, which in-
cluded West Manchester, in 1783:



Philip Amend.
Reinhardt Bott.
Jonas Bott.
Abraham Bookhard.
Michael Bentz.
Daniel Bekemer.
John Brown.
Conrad Becker.
Isaac Brenneman.
James Britches.
Andrew Bedman.
Widow Bierly.
Jacob Brown.
Valentine Bohn.
Nicholas Bahn.
George Bumbach.
Julius Brukhardt.
.Joseph Bixler.
William Burns.
Philip Benedict.
.Tames Berden.
Widow Cronmiller.
John Croll.
Nicholas Deh.
Andrew Dabber.
Thomas Dunn.
Michael Driver.
Michael Doudel.
Widow Doudel.
John Deltmer.
Peter Dinkel.
Frederick Ficheberger.
Michael Ehert.
George Ej'ster.
EliasEyster.
John Emig. Sr.
Valentine Emig.
George Eisenhardt.
Conrad Eutzminger.
Philip Ettinger.
Peter Elenberger.
Jacob Ehrman.
Michael Ebert, .Jr.
Martin Ebert.
Philip Ebert.
Widow Eichelberger.
John Ehmig, Jr.
Michael Egy.
Michael Finfrock.
Godlieb Fackler.



Jacob Feid.
John Fetter.
Peter Faust.
George Frier.
George Fry.
Stephan Finfrock.
Frederick Felker.
Joseph Grebill.
Dewald Gross.
Gerard Gavote.
Andrew Grass.
.John Greybill.
Jacob Gottwaldt, .Jr.
Samuel Gross.
George Geiss.
Henry Gray.
Christopher Greenewald.
Michael Qinder.
Jacob Gottwaldt, Jr.
Jacob Gardner.
John Guikes.
Hermanns Guikes.
David Greer, Esq.
Philip Heckert.
Philip Heltzel.
Barnet Holtzapple.
Nicholas Hentz.
Andrew Hentz.
Erasmus Holtzapple.
Emanuel Harman.
Andrew Hershy.
Jost Herbach.
Christian Heiver.
George Hake, Esq,
Andrew Heak.
Jacob Heak.
John Humrichhauser.
Jacob Hahn.
Frederick Hoffman.
Jacob Heikler.
Michael Hahn, Esq.
Ludwig Heetig.
Christian Herman.
Andrew Hoke.
Peter Hoke.
George Heihler.
Christian Heit.
John Heit.
Philip Hoffman.
Col. Thomas Hartly, Esq.



George Ilgenfritz.
Martin Ilgenfritz.
George Irwin.
Jacob Jonathan.
Robert Jones, Sr.
Robert Jones, Jr.
Francis Jones.
James Johnston.
Elisha Kirk.
Caleb Kirk.
Valentine Krantz.
John Kauffman, Jr.
John Kauffman, Sr.
Godfry King.
Casper Kerver.
Henry Keifer.
Philip Kreber.
Mathias Klein.
Jacob Kauffman.
Simon Koppenheafer,
Jacob Klingeman.
Jacob Philip King.
Jacob Knab.
Simon Koppenheafer,
Conrad Klein,
Henrj' Kauffman.
Christian Keller.
John Kitch.
Michael Kolb.
Valentine Kohlman.
Peter Knuab.
Baltzer Koler.
George Ivr-antz.
George Klingman.
Jacob Kern.
Andrew Kohler.
Henry Kreber.
Christian Landis.
Anthony Lehman.
Michael Low.
Leonard Leckron.
Ignatius Leituer.
Frederick Leuhardt.
Peter Long.
Andrew Long.
Christian Leib.
George Liebenstein.
Killian Lichtenberger.
Caspar Lichtenberger.
George Lichtenberger.
George Lewis Lefler.
Ludwig Myer.
Frederich Miller.
Peter Marks.
Peter Menges.
George May.
George Maurer.
George Millen.
Michael Mehlhorn.
John Miller.
Samuel Miller.
George Metzger.
Nicholas Moore.
Adam Miller.
Charles Martin.
Jacob Kopp.
Michael Klein.
Henry Klein.
Nicholas Klasser.
Casper Knaab.
George Nailor.
Jacob Neaf.
Abraham Neaf.
Jacob Oettinger.
Peter Oettinger.
John Oettinger.
Henry Ort.
Jacob Opp.



Adam Quickel.

Frederick Remer.

Dietrich Rupert.

Stephan Reitinger.

Michael Romig.

Andrew Ritter.

Jonas Rudisilly.

William Reis.

John Reif.

Anthony Roth.

John Roth.

.John Rosenbaum.

George Ringer.

Michael Ringer.

Baltzer Rudisilly.

Peter Riel.

Isaac Stoner.

Peter Sprenkle.

George Sprenkle.
Jr.Mathias Smeiser.

John Shrom.

Christopher Shlegle.

Andrew Smith, Sr.
Sr.Andrew Smith, Jr.



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 125 of 218)