John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 126 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 126 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Daniel Strickler.

Peter Shultz.

Peter Smith.

Michael Shreiver.

John Shreiber.

Jacob Smith.

Jacob Smith (Tory law-
Peter Senger. [yer).

Philip Snyder.

Peter Snyder.

Adam Shenck.

John Stab.

Frederick Shindel.

John Sherb, Sr.

John Sherb, Jr.

Henry Shultz.

James Spikeman.

Jacob Smyser.

Col. Michael Smyser.

Michael Sprenkle.

Samuel Updegraff.

Ambrose Updegraff.

Nathan Updegraff.

Joseph Updegraff.

John Updegroff.

Widow Wogan.

John Welsh.

Francis Worley.

Henry Wolf.

Michael Welsh.

George Weller.

Nathan Worley.

James Worley.

Daniel Worley.

Francis Worley.

William Willis.

Jacob Worley.

Peter AVolf, Esq.

Adam Wolf.

Nicholas Wyand.

Philip Wolf. .

Sebastian Weigle.

Simon Witmeyer, Sr.

Simon AVitmeyer, Jr.

Martin Weikle.

Leonard Weikle.

George AVitterricht.

Michael AVittericht.

Philip Wintemeyer.

Jacob Weaver.

Casper Walter.

Jacob Wagnor.

Adam Wilt.

George Welsh.



MANCHESTER TOAVNSHIP.



513



try Winiger.
, Wahl.



Frederick Wever.
Valentine Wild.



Henry Walter.
Jacob Zigler.
Philip Ziegler Jr.
Killian Ziegler.



SINGLE MEN.



John Oldham
John Kanu (blacksmith)
Christian Reinhart.
George Manges.
Philip Christ.
Andrew Zeigler.
Daniel Meyer.
George Lekron.
Michael Kauffman.
Martin Koppenhefer.
John Brown.
Frederick Heak.
Jacob Miller.
Adam Lichtenberger.
Nicholas Snyder.



David Bruckhard.
Philip Mobr.
Christian Mobr.
Andrew Kohler.
Jacob Bohn.
Conrad Ginder.
Jacob Miller.
Frederick Ehresmai
Jacob Ginder.
Ludwig Driver.
Frederick Shindle.
Frederick Hummel.
Jacob Meisel.
Joseph Kohler.



NEW HOLLAND VILLAGE.

Frederick Day, an English Quaker, made
a plat of iifty-two lots and disposed of them
by lottery, in 1804. The town he called
New Holland. In 1814 he laid out an addi-
tional section of 162 lots, which in the
printed deeds, was denominated "New Hol-
land continued." The village is located on
the Susquehanna River, at the mouth of one
of the branches of the Conewago Creek,
familiarly called "The Gut," and about three
miles from the mouth of Codorus Creek.
Some of the first settlers in this locality, in
1732, were Quakers, and for a time, a tract
of land was reserved by the Penns for a
meeting house. For about thirty years
New Holland was known as an important
lumber emporium. Teams came many miles
from the south and west to purchase pine
lumber, which was brought dowa the river
and landed at this point. In 1807, Fred-
erick Day built the large stone house now
owned by Jacob Lichty, who has conducted
the village store since 1S63. A man by
name of Hyder kept the first store. New
Holland became a post town named Day's
Landing, in 1825, with Peter Dessenberg as
postmaster. When a postoffice was estab-
lished at Mt. Wolf, two miles distant, this
one was discontinued.

Adam Wolf, Esq., was for many years a
prominent justice of the peace, and had a
large lumber yard and tannery here. Fred-
erick Gable kept a store and owned a lumber
yard. Joseph Schmidt also had a lumber
yard. There were at one time four hotels in
the town. None have been kept since 1870.
"Silver Lake Island," a famous place for
shad fishing years ago, is located on the Sus-
quehanna, near New Holland. The popula-
tion of this village is about 250. In the
early part of this century, it was supposed



that New Holland was destined to become
large, but its lumber interests ceased after
the Northern Central Railway was completed.
The cigar business is now an important
industry here.

The names of the streets running at right
angles with the Susquehanna, on Day's
draft, when he founded the town, were King,
Queen, Prince, York and Market. Those
running parallel with the river, were Water,
Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Streets.
It will thus be seen that plans were made
for a large town. Frederick Day was buried
in a conspicuous spot in the town and his
tomb is marked by an unpretentious head
stone, but there are no other graves near his
silent resting place.

Physicians. — When New Holland was a
prominent lumber market, there were always
one or two physicians in the village. Dr.
De Lassel. a Frenchman, located here in
1810. He was followed by Drs. Rouse,
Richardson, Massey, Charles, Cook, Ehrhart
and Watson. Dr. William Graifes was the
last practitioner, twenty-five years ago. Physi-
cians of this town attended the sick of Eib's
Landing and Liverpool.

Geological Curiosities. — The geological
formations around New Holland afford a
pleasing diversity. Limestone crops out on
John Wogan's farm, which is valuable when
burned into quicklime. The old red sand-
stone formation is quite prominent. A short
distance west yellow sandstone protrudes to
the surface. In the bottom of the stream,
and on the clifl's, excellent specimens of
dolerite are quite numerous. Along the cliffs
on the south side of the stream are twin
rocks, forty feet in thickness, almost entirely
exposed. They are huge specimens of sili-
cious conglomerate formation. Near by is a
rock of similar structure 100 feet in length,
forming an inclined plane with the stream.
While musing along the shore, trying to
read "the testimony of the rocks," in the
alluvial soil on the north side of the creek,
the writer was delighted with the discovery
of fine specimens of Indian beads, arrow heads
of flint, and a large battle ax. In this
island, not long since, while workmen were
making excavations, at the depth of about
three feet, a number of these curiosities were
found in close proximity. It was doubtless
the grave of an Indian warrior, and his sur-
vivors, following the custom of their race, in-
terred his implements of war and of the chase
with his bones, that he might use them,
according to their belief,

In the Island of the Blessed
In the Kingdom of Ponemah
In the land of the Hereafter.



HISTORY or YORK COUNTY.



Cfesarville is the name given to a collec-
tion of half a dozen houses, near the mouth of
Eocies Creek, where it flows into "The Gut."
Aboiit half a century ago, an aged negro
slave by the name of Csesar, who had been
freed, dug a cave in a bank at this point, and
used it as his place of abode. The old saw-
mill here was erected in 1812 by Frederick
Zorger. For many years it was owned by
the late Daniel Ivi-aber,of York and, was con-
nected with Eib's Landing Lumber Yards.

eib's landing.

Among the early settlers west of the
Susquehanna was Peter Eib, who took up
the fertile land forming a delta between
the mouths of the Conewago Creek. As the
lumber interests up the river were developed,
a section of his farm, now owned by George
"W. Ilgenfritz, of York, became one of the
most important landing places for this valua-
ble product along the stream. There was a
demand for pine timber, and from this land-
ing place York, and a broad expanse of
country, were largely supplied for more than
half a century. I3ut the glory of Eib's Land-
ing declined when the steam saw-mills were
built at York Haven and at Goldsboro, and
when the Northern Central Railway was
completed. Old citizens of the neighborhood
recalled the time when as many as seventy- five
teams were in waiting to load lumber in one
day. For one mile along the bank were contin-
uous piles of boards and building timber. The
price, on account of the abundance, was very
low in comparison with present prices. Ex-
cellent shaved shingles could be purchased
at .|6 per 1,000, and a fine quality of boards
at !S8 and $10 per 1,000 feet.

Dm-ing the spring and early summer, busi-
ness was most flourishing. For many years
there were three hotels to acommodate team-
sters and lumbermen — "Yankees," as they
were termed, who brought the rafts of lum-
ber down the Susquehanna. At times ar-
dent spirits flowed profusely, and occasions of
boisterous hilarity were very frequent. Much
sawed timber was conveyed in teams by mer-
chants who owned lumber yards in York,
Hanover, Abbottstown, East Berlin, and as
far away as Frederick, Md. There is
nothing now left to mark this, probably the
most historic spot in Manchester Township,
except the dilapidated remains of a few old
buildings at a place where millions of feet of
lumber were annually sold.

A Paper City. — On Ipart of the original
Eib's Landing property, now owned by
Jacob Hartman, about the year 1800, a town
was laid out, which the founder, from the



number of streets planned, expected to grow
into a prosperous city. It was laid out as the
"Town of Manchester." Eighty-one lots of
this proposed town, 50x200 feet each, were
advertised to be sold for the direct tax of the
United States, at Harrisburg, December
3, 1818. The town was planned at a time
when the lumber and fishing interests of the
Susquehanna led many visionary land owners
to suppose that their farms were to be the
sites of flourishing cities in the near future.
The same ideas that characterize many ven-
turesome and deluded people of our Western
States and Territories, were prevalent in
Pennsylvania eighty years ago. Two small
houses, long since torn down, and an abut-
ment beginning a bridge, is all there ever
was to represent the " Old Town of Manches-
ter on the Susquehanna."

The Gut, is a singular freak of nature.
Some time, not long before the settlement of
York County by the whites, the Big Conewa-
go Creek, on account of high water, over-
flowed its banks, and cut a deep channel two
miles in length, causing this, the southern
branch, to flow into the Susquehanna at New
Holland, while the main branch of the creek
flows into the river, three miles farther up the
stream at York Haven. During times of high
water the Gut is a rapid stream, but in dry
seasons it is sluggish and sometimes alto-
gether dry. Within this irregularly shaped
delta, is contained about five square miles of
excellent alluvial soil. " The Eiver Gut " is
a branch of half a mile in length, passing
from the Gut to the Susquehanna. A singu-
lar phenomenon is illustrated: When the
river is high it flows toward the creek, when
the creek is high it flows toward the river.
It is a true bifurcation.

Floods. — The first flood on record, occurred
in 1744; the second in 1758; the third in
1772; the fourth in March, 1784; the fifth,
known as the "Great Pumpkin Flood" of
September, 1786, when all the low places
along the river were strewn with pumpkins
that had floated down the stream. The sixth
flood occurred in 1800; the seventh in 1814;
the eighth in August, 1817.

In the spring of 1830. of 1865 and of 1875,
the ice floods did considerable damage along
the river. Huge piles of ice were forced on
the river banks and islands, at different points,
and the greatest excitement jsrevailed. Im-
mense numbers of floating logs have been
landed along the river when the booms broke
at Williamsport and Lock Haven.

Shad fisheries. — Nothing gave more
interest to the river settlements in early days
than the extensive shad fisheries, an industry



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



now almost unknown above the dam of the
Svisquehanna Canal at Columbia. Shad fish-
ing has greatly declined south of the dam
too, of late years, all caused by injudicious
management. On account of the purity of
the water and the absence of many manufae-
turies along this river, which caused refuse
matter to flow into it, the shad of the Susque-
hanna River have long been famous for their
delicious flavor, large size and nutritious
qualities. From York Haven to the mouth
of the Codorus, the limits of the eastern
boundary of Manchester Township, there was
almost one continuous line of valuable fisher-
ies. The season lasted from five to seven
weeks. Usually, if the season were short,
the largest amount of shad were caught.
The shad pass up the river annually in large
schools from the salt water of the Atlantic
Ocean and Chesapeake Bay into fresh water
to spawn. They cease to go up after the
middle of June, and sometimes about the first
of June. A few have been caught in fish-
baskets on their return to the salt water late
in the season; but they then are scarcely
edible. It was a most interesting sight for
fishermen to watch for a "school of fish" to
come up stream, and then row around them
in a skiff, leaving out a long seine, made with
a network of large meshes especially for
shad, and quickly pull the seine to shore by
the skiff, freighted with hundreds and some-
times thousands of this large fish. Before
catching a large "draught of fishes," all
fishermen were as still and motionless as
possible, as the sense of hearing with fish is
very keen; but when a large "haul" was made
it was a grand signal for a triumphant cheer,
and the jolly fishermen were active in counting
the number caught. As far back as 1815,
these shad brought as high as 12|
and 15 cents apiece by wholesale. Dozens
of wagons, owned by anxious purchasers,
were always ready to buy them at that
figure, and take them fifteen or twenty
miles south and west to dispose of them.
Some of the fisheries were along the shore,
but the most profitable ones were near the
small islands. The right of fishery was pur-
chasable; sometimes the owners of islands in
the river sold them, but reserved the right of
fishing for shad. Lichty's two fisheries, near
the mouth of the Conewago, were famous —
1,500 shad were caught at one haul there
in 1825; "San Domingo," a small island
of two acres surface, had a noted fishery.
The entire island was swept away by an ice
flood in 1830. The next in order down the
stream was known as "Santa Cruz;" "Black
Eoek," so called because it was used by



colored people as a fishing station for a time.
The Indians were accustomed to catch shad
here with large "dip-nets." In the days of
its prosperity, Black Rock Fishery was owned
by William Reeser, founder of the town of
Liverpool. Haldeman's pool in the Chestnut
Riffles, near the mouth of Codorus, "Forge
Island," "Center," "Silver Lake," "Small
Island," and "Bald Eagle" fisheries were
very profitable for many years.



THE BOROUGH OF MANCHESTER.

This beautifully situated and neatly built
town for nearly half a century was known as
"Liverpool," after the historic English sea-
port, first named so by its sturdy founder, Will-
iam Reeser. The situation is truly interesting,
and the view over a large extent of country fas-
cinating in the extreme. Immediately to the
east is a narrow and fertile valley, nearly in the
center of which nestles the thriving village of
Mount Wolf, and through which passes a
great bighway-the Northern Central Railway.
The burghers on the hill must be on the
alert or else their neighbor town, which they
now look down upon, will outgrow their own.
One seems to be climbing up the hill and the
other sliding down. They may soon join hands
and form one borough. Farther to the east
is the broad expanse of the Susquehanna, and
the adjoining counties of Dauphin and Lan-
caster are unfolded to the observer's view.
The Conewago hills loom up to the northeast
of Manchester, and to the southwest is the
northern part of the great York Valley, un-
rivalled for its beauty and fertility.

Founding of the Toion. — The land upon
which the town stands was taken up under a
land warrant issued to John Nickey about
1740. William Reeser purchased a consider-
able tract in 1814, on which was then two
or three small houses; York Haven Company
had just been formed; the York & Cone
wago Turnpike road had recently been com-
pleted; Eib's Landing and New Holland
lumber and fishing interests were then in their
zenith. All these made this a central point
of the different thoroughfares to these places,
and led the new owner to follow the example
of a number of other adventurers about that
time, to found a town. He secured the serv-
ices of Gen. Jacob Spangler, of York, who
surveyed and made a plan for a town in 1814,
the original of which is now in possession of
Jacob Mohr, son in-law of the founder. The
inscription on it reads as follows: "A plan
of the town of Liverpool, situated in Man-
chester Township, on the York and Conewago
Canal Turnpike road, including the Junction



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



oJ the road leading to the old town of Man- |
Chester." The original plan of Liverpool |
contained 100 lots. Tickets were sold at
§100 each one of which drew a lot. The draw-
ing took place, July 30,1814. Founding a town
by lottery was a common custom about that
time. The ingenious founder it is said cleared
$4,000 by his venture, and in 1816 built the
large brick mansion at a cost of §5,000, on
the angle formed by the union of the "old
road" and the turnpike. Here he lived until
the time of his death, a few years ago, having
reached the advanced age of four- score and
two years. His widow, Elizabeth Shelley
Eeeser, survived him but a few months.

Incorporation. — The town was incorporat-
ed by action of the court August 27, 1869.
At this date it was known as "Liverpool."
The charter of incorporation changed the
name to Manchester, by which the postoffiee
had many years been called. At the fii-st
municipal election Jacob Mohr was chosen
chief burgess, and Dewease Warner, George
Yinger, Jacob Good, Elias Hartman and
Jacob Ramer, members of the council; Henry
Metzgar, secretary.

Borough officers for 1885 are Frank L.
Jacobs, burgess; J. M. Glatfelter, M. L.
Duhling, Peter Mathias, J. Smith, Peter
Neimanand Jacob Eamer, councilmen.

There are 135 voters; a population of 630.

The number of taxable inhabitants in 1884
was 177, and total valuation of real estate in
borough §133,154.

Business Places. — Charles Bishop, Sr.,
kept the first store in the village. It was
located on the site of George Machlin's house, i
and was burned. Stores were kept, after this [
one, by Mrs. Jacobs, Joseph Kraft, John
Drayer (for many years), George Beck and
by others whose names cannot be recalled.

'in 1885 J. M. Glatfelter, S. A. Bear &
Bro., Jacob Rudy, are merchants; Duhling &
Brown, butchers; F. J. Lory, tin and
stove store; C. Kauffman & Co., cigars; E. A.
Shriver and J. B. Rentzel, cigar manufac-
turers — each employ a number of workmen;
D. S. Quickel, dentist; H. S. Bear and M. L.
Duhling, justices of the peace; Messrs
Frank Yinger, P. M. Altland, John S. Yinger
and others are identified with the business
interests of this beautiful town. The old
"Reeser mansion" has been turned into a
hotel. Many years ago it was a hotel with a
large sign on which was a picture of LaFay-
ette. This French patriot passed through
Liverpool in January, 1825, on his way to
Harrisburg. I

Mrs. Elizabeth Quickel Kuehn, aged nine- [
ty-six, lives near Manchester.



Postmasters. — A postoffiee was established
at this place in 1822, with Charles Bishop as
postmaster. In 1832 J. T. Fbil succeeded
him, and was followed by George Beck, John
Drayer, Dr. L. M. Lochman, M. L. Duhling,
David S. Quickel and Stephen A. Bear.
When application was made for a postoffiee
it was found that one by the name of Liver-
pool had been granted in this State to a
town by same name in Perry County. The
name Manchester was then selected, which
was adopted as the name of the town when it
was incorporated. John Drayer was recently
appointed.

Physicians. — Dr. Conner is remembered as
the first physician of this village. He was
succeeded by many others, among whom were
Drs. Roe, Kilgore, Beck, Hall, Haldeman,Ahl
(now of Pittsburgh), Hay, Houser, Lochman,
Bishop, Prowell.Kain, Warren, Deisinger. Dr.
Hall, a successful practitioner built the house
now occupied as a store by S. Bear & Bro.
Dr. Andrew Prowell, a very skillful and
highly esteemed physician, died here in 1871,
after several years of successful practice.
He was a graduate of Jefferson Medical
College, Philadelphia, and of Bellevue
Medical College, of New York City. His
death at the age of thirty-four, was deeply
felt by the entire community that he had
served so faithfully. Dr. Ehrman, a disciple
of Hahnemann, successfully introduced homoe-
opathy about the year 1839; after several
years of practice he moved to Wrightsville.
The physicians at present are Drs. Gress &
May.

CHUECHES.

Union Church of Manchester. — In Novem-
ber, 1820, a number of the citizens of the
town met at the house of William Reeser,
for the purpose of effecting an organ-
ization to build a Union Church and
schoolhouse. At a subsequent meeting
held March 28, 1821, Charles ':M. Poor, Will-
iam Reeser, Jacob Fink, John Gross and
Daniel Gotwald were chosen trustees and a
building committee. The church was built
in the summer of 1821, at a cost of $612, and
dedicated January 21, 1822. Rev. Robert
Cathcart, Presbyterian, and Rev. J. G.
Schmucker, Lutheran, both of York, were the
officiating clergymen. The church was first
used by the two denominations mentioned
and afterwai-d by others also. Some of the
merchants and managers of the mills at
York Haven were Presbyterians. A school-
house was built on same lot.

At the second election William Reeser,
Henry Grove, David Nelson, Charles Bishop,
Charles M. Poor and Samuel Inloes were



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



617



chosen trustees; Henry Metzgar was for many
years secretary.

The old meeting house was removed in
1879, and the present Union Church was
built. This is used by different denomi-
nations. The German Baptists hold occasion-
al services. ■

The Evangelical Association is one of the
denominations that at present hold services
in this church. A class was organized in
1858 by George Young and Frederick Alt-
house. The preachers who had charge of
the circuit to which this congregation be-
longs since then, have been as follows: S. D.
Bennington, George Brickley, E. S. Brown-
miller, H. Conrad, George Carothers, George
Dellinger, Adam Ettinger, John Edgar,
Charles Hammer, Peter Heis, Daniel
Kreamer, John Kreamer, J. C. Link, L. May,
Moses McLean, H. R. Price, H. H. Ream,
P. H. Rishel, J. Harlacher, J. Zimmerman,
E. Storabaugh, Hornberger, D. L.Reeser,W.
Detwiler, J. M. Ettinger, N. Young, A.
Krause, Steyman, D. P. Kline, S. Aurund,
W. H. Lilly, H. W. Gross, S. Yearick, C.W.
Finkbinder, C. F. Gephart, C. H. Goodling,
H. N. Greninger, M. J. Snyder, L. E.
Crumbling.

Manchester Lutheran Church is a
brick building located on Main Street to-
ward the south end of town. It was built
under the direction of Rev. Dr. A. H. Loch-
man, of York, in 1857. The congregation was
organized in December of the same year by
Rev. C. J. Deininger, and served by him
until December 1865. He was succeeded by
Revs. P. Warner, P. Anstadt, E. Lenhart and
the present pastor — Rev. W. S. Porr. The
cost of the building was $6,000. In 1883
valuable improvements, costing .f 1,100
were added and the interior of the church
beautified. Membership is about 110.
Trustees, Samuel Gross and Henry Cassell.
A Sunday-school of 100 pupils is superin-
tended by John Frank, with Jacob Smith as
assistant superintendent, who is also leader
of the Church choir. Miss Emma Eisenhart
is organist.

United Brethren Church. — About the year
1832 Rev. William Brown began preaching
the doctrines of this denomination in Liver-
pool; an organization was effected in the
Union meeting house, which was used until
the erection of the new and handsome church,
in the year 1878, at a cost of $1,700. Of this
building George Y'iuger was contractor, J. A.
Dempwolf, architect; Col. J. A. Stable, H. M.
Everhart, Charles Mathias, Jacob Eppley and
John B. Rentzel, the building committee.
The church was dedicated the same year by



Bishop Glossbrenner. The following clergy-
men have ministered to this congregation
since the church was built: G. W. Kirakofe,
A. H. Rice, I. H. Albright and T. Garland.
Church membership about sixty, and a
Sunday-school of 100 pupils, of which Col.
Stable is superintendent.

Mennonite Meeting House. — Half a mile
north of Manchester stands the old Mennon-
ite Meeting House. Some of the early set-
tlers of this locality, were members of that
religious society. Among them were the Kel-
lers, Leibs, Reiffs and Rodeses. Until 1810
religious services of this denomination were
held in private houses and in the Union
Meeting House, on the site of Hoover's
Church. It was during the summer of that
year that the present old relic was built, of
native yellow sandstone. Mr. Keller fur-
nished the land free, and, characteristic of
this kind-hearted, economical people, the
other members associated together and com-
pleted the building with their own hands.
From 1810 to 1850, it was regularly used,
since then, only occasionally. It is still



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 126 of 218)