John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 127 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 127 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


owned by the society.

SCHOOLS.

The present schoolhouse was built before
the town was incorporated. In 1870 the bor-
ough board organized by electing John Kohler,
president; Peter M. Altland, secretary, and
Jacob Hartman, treasurer. Jacob Smith was
appointed teacher of the secondary school at

i a salary of $35, and Miss Mary Free teacher
of primary school at a salary of $33 per
month.

The school board for the year 188-1-85
was as follows: Dr. J. C. May, president;

I D. A. Schriver, secretary; Dr. H. V. Gress,

I Michael Gross, Michael Kunkel andDewease
Warner. The teachers were A. S. Quickel
and A. C. Hartman.

j An Old School House. — The north end of
the building, for nearly half a century, was
occupied as a schoolhouse, in which the
youths of the vicinity received the rudi-
ments of their education. Many old people,
now living, have a tender recollection of
James Cabot, familiarly called "Jimmy
Caboot," who, after having seen much of
the "round world," as an English sailor, for
many years taught school. He was a jolly,
good-natured personage, who fondled and
petted the little folks, even carrying them on
his back to and from school. He was at
home anywhere and everywhere, and had
but one fault — in his own language, he
would sometime get "corned," and that, too,
on Sunday, so that his Monday's work was



618



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



not well done. He could play the violin for
a midnight party, or assist in a religious
meeting, just as the notion suited him. One
summer day, while engaged in religious devo-
tion, a hornet stung him. This scientific ex-
periment of one little insect was sufficient to
disturb and break up the entire meeting,
and caused Jimmy to be more impetuous
than reverential. For many years the chil-
dren of the neighborhood, both winter and
summer, attended Jimmy's school, until one
paueful day in June, more than half a cen-
tury ago, they laid him peacefully to rest in
the burying ground adjoining the "Union
Church, in Liverpool. He was one of the
tirst to be there interred. The old burying
ground was near the Mennonite Meeting
House. Asa Johnson and John Anstine
taught in same building.

CONFEDERATE INVASION.

On the 28th of June, 1863, Gen. Early,
while advancing on York, and when at Wei-
glestown, sent Col. French, with a detachment
of the Seventeenth Virginia Cavalry, across
Manchester Township, to the mouth of the
Conewago, to burn the railroad bridges
there. They halted, for a time, at Liverpool
and Mount Wolf. They took from the
stores, boots, shoes, hats, and some other
clothing, paid for them in Confederate cur-
rency, which they proudly affirmed would
soon be "better than your greenbacks, as we
are now on our way to Harrisburg, Philadel-
phia, and New York, and the war will soon
be over."

They cut down the telegraph poles, de-
stroyed a number of small railroad bridges
and the two large ones. They compelled
Benjamin Miller, an intelligent farmer, to go
with them and direct them to the bridges,
which they set fire to with coal oil. In the
afternoon they went to York.

About 400 Union soldiers had been en-
camped on Col. Hoff's farm, to guard these
bridges, but they crossed over the Susque-
hanna during the early morning of the same
day, fearing the approach of a large army. A
few shots were tired at the last boat load by
the Confederates.

MOUNT WOLF VILLAGE.

Mount Wolf is a thrifty and prosperous
village, on the Northern Central Railway,
one-half mile northeast of Manchester Bor-
ough and seven miles from York. The
grade here to the '"Summit," about two miles
south, is fifty feet to the mile. This is the
highest point on the railroad between York



and Bridgeport. In the year 1850, soon
after the completion of the railroad to Har-

j risburg, a postoffice was established one-

i quarter of a mile south of the present rail-
road station, and named "Mt. Campbell."
In the year 1852 the firm of Adam Wolf
& Sons, opened a store and began purchas-
ing grain, and started a coal and lumber
yard. The business was continued under
this firm until 1863, when William W. Wolf,
one of the sons, was elected sheriff of Y'ork
County, and removed to York in November
of this year. He died before his term of

j office expired. Adam Wolf, the father and
senior member, retired from business. Since

i then, George H. Wolf has been sole pro-
prietor, and has done an extensive and
prosperous business. Large quantities of
wheat, from the surrounding fertile and pro-
ductive country, are annually purchased.
Some is manufactured into fiour at a mill
which he owns near by, and much shipped to
Baltimore and elsewhere. Since the decline
of New Holland and Eib's Landing, as lum-
ber depots, Mt. Wolf has become an impor-
tant center for this trade. During the past
few years the firm of George H. Wolf & Co.,
with which John Wogan was associated as
partner, purchased large quantities of tobac-
co, an important product of this township.
A few houses were erected soon after Mt.
Wolf became a business center. The town
was laid out in 1867, by Samuel Hoff, on an
area of thirty acres, with 165 lots, from a
survey made by Daniel Ettinger, of York,
At present there are about fifty dwelling
houses, a church, and a two story school-
house. A few of the houses are brick, but
most of them are frame, of attractive design,
newly painted, and everything around indi-
cates neatness and prosperity. The large
grist-mill, a short distance north of the vil-
lage, now doing such effective service, was
built in 1813, by John Bodes, a Mennonite
preacher. It subsequently passed into pos-
session of John Gross, George Mathias, and
George H. Wolf, the present owner.

A few years ago Mr. Wolf built a large
house for a depot and store. This being the
station for Manchester Borough. New Hol-
land, Starview, and the thickly settled
surrounding country, it is an important
stopping place for passenger trains. The
name, Mt. Wolf, originated in 1852, when
the postoffice was removed from Mt. Camp-
bell to its present place. The population of
the village, in 1885, was 200. About 1820,
Christian Rodes built a fulling-mill a short
distance above here. It is now owned by a
grandson, Zebulon Rodes.



MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



Church of the United Brethren in Christ.—
The members of this denomination built a
house of worship, in the year 1870, Under
the direction of Henry Hoff, Sr., JohnSpahr,
and Samuel Bear, as a building committee.
Including bell, it cost §2,800. It was dedi-
cated the' same year by Rev. William B.
Kaber. The; church membership is about
eighty,' and the Sunday-school membership
150, with Jacob G. Kunkel as superintend-
ent. The pastors since the church was built
were W. H. Craumer, S. T. Wallace, George
W. Beatty, Alexander Tripner, A. H. Kice,
I. H. Albright and Thomas Garland.

EMIGSVILLE.

Emigsville is a prosperous village, with a
population of 125. Soon after the comple-
tion of the York & Cumberland Railroad, in
1850, now the Northern Central Railway, this
became a prominent business center and sta-
tion for the surrounding rich agricultural
region. A vast amount of quictlime has been
burned from valuable limestone of the vicin- j
ity. The town lies on the York & Harrisburg j
Turnpike, four miles from York and three
miles from Manchester Borough. The late
John Emig, after whom the village was
named, was engaged for many years in the
mercantile business at this place, and was
also a prominent farmer. The same inter-
ests are now continued by his sons. East of
the railroad is an attractively built Union
Chapel and near by is the village school.
E. K. Emig & Co. manufacture agricultural
implements here.

Round Town is a hamlet of twenty or
more houses, about three and one-half miles
from York, on the York and Lewisberry
road. The houses are built nearly in the
form of a circle, from whence originated the
name. A fine brick school-house was built
here in 1884. Frederick and Peter Kern
were among the first to own the property at
this place.

Foustown is a collection of houses in the
western end of the township, amidst a very
fertile region.

One of the military companies of the
township was called "The Manchester
Guards," commanded by Capt. Rodes in
1834. George Jacobs was first lieutenant, and
Jacob Rudy second lieutenaat. It existed
for seven years. Manchester Township gave
200 votes majority for Gen. Harrison for
president. In 1856 there were but three
votes for Fremont for same office.

MUSICAL.

The Manchester Silver Cornet Band is a



musical organization composed of eighteen,
members, and has had a prosperous existence,
since 1880.

The Conewago Citizens Band, composed,
of seventeen members, was organized in 1881.

Starview Band, composed of fifteen mem-
bers, with German silver instruments, waa
formed in 1883.

New Holland Band, cornposed of twelve
members, was organized in 1884.

Mt. Wolf Cornet Band was started in 1879.
It is composed of fifteen members.

Emigsville Band is an excellent musical
organization.

EEFOEMED AND LUTHEEAN CHDHCH (HOOVEk's).-

On the 29th of February 1822, Philip
(Huber) Hoover and Peter (Huber) Hoover
deeded 44 perches of land for a consideration
of 11, to Martin Rudy, Michael Bisler,
elders and trustees of the German Re-
formed congregation, and Peter Moore
and Valentine Schultz, elders and trustees of'
the Lutheran congregation. On this land'
had been already' erected a house of worship ,
called "Christ's Church," in which by special
requirements the services were to be held in
"the German language and no other; to be
used by the German Reformed and German
Lutheran congregations, and a society called
Maniests. " All services in the first church
were to be held "before candle light." This
church is located on one of the land-marks of
Manchester Township, now in the young
village of Starview, two miles southeast of
Mt. Wolf. It is widely known as "Hoover's
Church." The exact time when the first,
log-church was built is not definitely known,
though supposed to be in 1819. The present ,
house of worship, which cost 82,200, was built
in 1875. The building committee were Jacob
Hartman and John King, Reformed; Harris,
Gingerich and John Fry, Lutherans.

A charter was obtained in 1844; Andrewr
Dessenberg and Jacob Fry of the Lutheran,
and Christian Hartman of the Reformedi
congregation were trustees.

Samuel Rudy, now ninety-two years old'
and a most worthy member, was one of- the-
first deacons of this church. The present,
church officers are Jacob Hartman andl
George Kann, elders; Abraham Hartman andl
Mr. Diehl, deacons.

Revs. Mayer, James R. Reiley, John Cares,
David Bossier, Rhinehart Smith, of the Re-
formed Church have officated here. This
congregation, of fifty-three members, since
1879, has been under the pastoral care of
Rev. A. Wanner, D. D., as supply.

The Lutheran congregation was served by



630



HISTORY OF YORK COUXTY.



Eev. C. J. Deininger from 1858 to 1866.
Its pastors have been the same since then as
at Manchester Borough, who in order of
succession were as follows: Rev. P. Wanner,
Peter Austadt, E. Lenhart and W. S. Porr,
who is the present pastor; members, sixty-
tfive.

A schoolhouse stood by the side of the
first church, and a parochial school kept in it
for many years.

The church was remodeled at a cost of
$1,300 lately. There is a Tnion Sunday-
school of 150 pupils, of which Henry Kunkel
is superintendent.

Jerusalem Church, is located between Mt.
Wolf and New Holland, and was built about
1880, on land donated to the congregation
by John Dessenberg. It was once burned
and afterwai-d rebuilt.

ejiig's grove campmeeting grounds.

June 21, 1880, a charter of incorporation
was granted to the Emig"s Grove Campmeet-
ing Association, the object of which was " to
maintain the worship of God in gatherings
■or assemblies for religious purposes, accord-
ing to the discipline and belief of the Church
of the United Brethren in Christ, and other
Evangelical Churches." Fourteen acres of
land were purchased of the late John
Eraig. Thirteen acres have since been added.
The location is one mile south of Mount
Wolf Station on the line of the Northern
Central Railway. The association organized
with Rev. C. T. Stearn, president; David
W. Crider, J. C. Smith and Daniel G. May,
vice-presidents; J. R. Hutchison, secretary;
Col. J. A. Stahle, treasurer, and Henry M.
Everhart, John Shepp, Charles Lafean, M.
L. Duhling, Henry Reeser. J. B. Rentzel and
A. H. Rice, directors. The same officers have
held their positions continuously since organi-
zation. The directors for the year 1885 are
M. L. Duhling, P. Mathias, H. M. Everhart,
H. W. Stefifey, Joseph Wagner, Henry Reeser,
and H. D. Musser. Excellent board tents
have been built, and a large number of peo-
ple meet annually, during the month of
August, for the purpose of worshipping the
<jrod of their fathers in the serene atmosphere
of this beautiful grove — one of "God's first
temples."

In one corner of the grounds, in a secluded
spot, is a mysterious tomb of a soldier of the
civil war. It has been sympathetically remem-
bered by some patriotic members of the Camp
Meeting Association, and marked by a neat
and appropriate headstone. His remains
were found and interred near the spot, about
Ls time that the Confederate Gen. Early '



took possession of York, but " of his name
and his fame no one can tell." He was clad
in the uniform of a Union soldier, the but-
tons of which contained the coat of arms of
Pennsylvania, and his cap the number 65.

ADOPTION or THE COMMON SCHOOL SYSTEM.

There were other subscription schools
similar to the one at the Mennonite Meeting
House already described. Before the present
public school system was accepted in this
township a local plan was adopted and so-
called "free schools" were established.
They did not however aiford equal privileges
to all classes. The poorer children were neg-
lected. Several attempts were made by en-
terprising citizens to secure enough votes,
to accept the system under the provision of
the act of 1834, but all such efforts were un-
successful. The legislative act of 1848
which virtually recognized that every district
in the State had already accepted the system,
brought Manchester into the ranks. At the
spring election of 1849 which was then held
at Ludwig Kohr's Hotel, near Emigsville,
the system was accepted, and Daniel Rodes,
Henry Metzgar, George Mathias, John Emig,
Dr. Adam Eisenhart and Andrew Lightner
were elected directors, all of whom are now
dead, except Daniel Rodes. who, at his ad-
vanced age, is in the full possession of his '
mental and physical powers. It was greatly
through his determined efforts that the organi-
zation of the schools on the present basis was
then eifected The confiict that arose was
typical of what took place in some other
townships, especially in the German sections,
where many of the people were averse to
accepting the common schools, and preferred
the subscription schools or parochial schools.
Many, in fact, preferred a shorter term than
the law then required. A great conflict arose
when the directors met in Liverpool to organ-
ize. A large number of people assembled ; most
of them came for the purpose of presenting
objections to the plans. After some of the
directors conferred, all excejst two determined
to resign. Daniel Rodes, who was elected
president, then read the la%v, which gave that
officer the power to appoint any persons he
selected to fill the vacancies, which resulted
in holding the board together. At this
juncture Jacob Kirk of Fairview, who after-
ward became the first county superinten-
dent of schools, happened along on his way
to York. He was an ardent advocate of the
system which had been in force in his town-
ship fourteen years. He argued in its favor
from experience as a director and teacher. The
board then went into executive session and



WEST MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP.



621



]aid a small tax; John Bower was appointed
tax collector. His duty was not a pleasant
one. In some cases he was obliged to levy
on personal property in order to collect the
tax, so violent was the opposition. In one or
two instances a horse was sold. Eleven
schools were put into successful operation
and the State appropriation, $100, received.
The Mennonite meeting house was rented.
One schoolhouse in the township could not
be rented. A house was built at Foustown.
Aughenbaugh's meeting house, now used by
the Dunkers, was rented, as was also a Meth - ,
odist meeting bouse at New Holland. The
rest were opened in such houses as could be
obtained. The system soon jjroved a great
success. One of the most singular features of
this history was that the president of the board
was publicly reprimanded by his fellow church
members, and an effort made to have his
name stricken from the church roll, on ac-
count of the interest he took to advance the
cause of education. They failed then, as
many now do, to recognize that education and
religion go hand in hand. A faithful pastor
came to his rescue and prevented action.



TOWNSHIP OF WEST MANCHESTER.



FORMATION OF TOWNSHIP.

WEST MANCHESTER was formed out
of Manchester Township. A petition
from a large number of signers was presented
to the September Court of 1799, Judge John
Joseph Henry, presiding, asking for the
appointment of viewers to report a division
of Manchester Township, which at that time,
in the language of the petitioners, "is fifteen
miles in length, which is three times its
breadth; that there would be 350 taxable in-
habitants in the remaining part of township
after the proposed division; with such ex-
tended limits, it is diiScult for road super-
visors, tax collectors and other officers to per-
form their necessary duties." They, there-
fore, asked that the request in petition be
granted. It was favorably considered by the
court, and Martin Kreber, Jacob Spangler,
John Sharp, Esq., John Rudisill, John Roth-
rock, and John Henisen were appointed
viewers. They made a report recommending
a division, which was approved by the court
December 3, 1799. The draft of the sur-
vey is described as follows: "Aline begin-
ning at a post on the banks of the Codorus, on



Jacob Gardner's land, thence through the
lands of Joseph Uppdegi-aff and William
Willis, across the great road leading to
Prunk's Mill (now the site of Goldsboro),
across Peter Sank's mill dam and lands of
Daniel Worley and James Worley, along
Green Brier Road to the Little Conewago
Creek, crossing lands of Jacob Hahn, John
Dobbins, Peter Lindt, and Philip Kreber;
thence up the creek to Philip Wolf's planta-
tion to the corners of Dover and Paradise
(now Jackson) Townships; thence nearly due
south to the west branch of the Codorus
Creek; down this stream to its union with
the south branch of Codorus, and down the
Codorus to York Borough line, to place of
beginning." The board of viewers, at the
instance of petitioners, requested that this
new district be called West Manchester.

The following letter, concerning the early
settlement of this township, will be of inter-
est.

York Town, April 33, 1746.
To Richard Peters ;

Secretary of the Province of Penusylvania.

The Bearer, Paul Dittenhaver, has purchased an
improvement about three miles west from York,
and paid £150 for it. The land was settled by
Adam Dickinson, who it is said has an entry on youi'
books, by ye Proprietaries Order for set"tling the
same on his obtaining license from .ye Indians, who
lived thereabout. He applies for a warrant or
Order of survey. You may suppose, from ye price,
that it's a valuable improvement, and has been
Long Settled. If there is any such Entry, I Doubt
not the Proprietaries granting it. The land adjoins
Casper Springer, Adam Fiel, Jacob Heestand and
Nicholas Baghn. As these people have ye Proprie-
tors' Grants, they are enroaching upon this Planta-
tion on every side & destroying ye Timber so that
if he does not Get an Order of survey, the place will
be much injured."

Thy friend,

Thomas Cookson,
Deputy Surveyor for Lane. County.



topography.

The township thus laid off is the form of
an irregular triangle, with the northeast bor-
der as a base, resting on Manchester Town-
ship. The western boundary is nearly a per-
pendicular line resting against Dover and
Jacskon Townships. The southeastern bound-
ary line follows the sinuous course of the
placid Codorus, and forms a very crooked
hypothenuse for our hypothetical triangle.

The land of this township has long been
noted for its fertility and productiveness, and
is part of the limestone belt which diagonally
crosses York County. Nearly every acre of
this township is under the highest state of
cultivation, and all kinds of cereals grow lux-
uriantly. The characteristic large bank barns
and brick houses, which indicate the pros-



HISTORY or YORK COUNTY.



perity of the Pennsylvania German farmer,
are very thickly set. During the months of
May and June it is one continuous garden of
beauty and plenty.

The York & Gettysbm-g Turnpike crosses
this township, as did also the old "Monocacy
Road" laid out in 1731), passing through
Wrightsville, York and Hanover to Mary-
land. The Hanover & York Railroad also
traverses it. A considerable business is
done at Graybill's and Bear's Stations. There
are a number of large flouring-mills and one
Hint-mill within its boundaries. Since the
annexation to York of Smysertown, with a
population of 998, and Bottstown with 401,
there are now no villages in the township.

The original settlers were largely German
Lutheran, Reformed, German Baptist and
Mennonites, many of whose descendants now
occupy the lands taken up by their worthy
ancestors a century and a half ago. There
were, however, some English settlers, as the
above letter indicates.

ASSESSMENT OF 1800.

The first assessment roll of West Manches-
ter, in 1800, contains 150 taxable inhabit-
ants, who were land owners, and 27 single
men who. paid a poll tax of SI. The entire
propert}^ valuation then was $97,500. The
largest land owner was Frederick Eichel-
berger, who was assessed with 1,025 acres,
valued at $7,925. Frederick Eichelberger
was elected to the State senate in 1819.

Martin Ebert owned a distillery, tannery
and 500 acres of land. Weirick Bentz,
George Eyster. Valentine Emigh, Philip
Ebert, Peter Hoke, Jacob Hoke, Michael
Lau, Mathias Smyser, Adam Wolf ^nd
George Philip Ziegler, Esq., owned distil-
leries. Much o£ the grain then raised
in the township was manufactured into
spirits, and sold in Baltimore. Henry Wolf
and Thomas Eichelberger owned tanneries.
Henry Bare a fulling mill and hemp-mill,
Jacob King, Alexander Underwood and Jacob
Steiner owned grist-mills. There was but
one colored slave assessed — "Tom,'' tradition
says a good fellow, and outlived his master.
Col. Michael Smyser, of Revolutionary fame,
who was several times elected to the house
of representatives and once to the senate of
Pennsylvania. He was one of a committee
of twelve men from York County, who col-
lected money to send to Boston in 1775, ob-
taining £6 'is. Id. from his township. The
last years of his life he spent quietly and died
in 1810 on a farm, on what is now the Berlin
road about three miles from York.



One hundred and ninety horses were as"
and 270 cows in 1801.

The census of 1880 reports this township
as having a population of 2,476, being ex-
ceeded in number of inhabitants, only by
Spring Garden, Hopewell, Chanceford, Man-
chester, North Codorus and Lower Windsor.

ASSESSMENT OF 1884.

The assessment taken in 1884 gives a valu-
ation of $1,740,000 of real estate and $48,880
of personal property. Number of taxables:
773; horses and mules 473, and their valua-
tion $27,325; cows 658. and their valuation
$16,450; aggregate amount of valuation
assessed for county purposes $1,852,000, ex-
ceeded onij by Spring Garden and Manches-
ter. Martin Miller was the first supervisor
of the roads and highways of Bfanchester
Township, in 1749; upon his resignation
Henr}' Bott was appointed by the court to
succeed him.



ST. PAUL S LUTHERAN AND REFORMED CHURCH.

This church is locally known in this town-
ship as Wolf's Church, after Peter Wolf, an
early settler.

In 1762 two and one-half acres were pur-
chased from Adam Ziegler for £5 6s. 5d.
for church property. In 1763 a congrega-
tion was organized by Rev. Nicholas Hornell,
then pastor of the First Lutheran Church at
York, and a frame church was built. About



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 127 of 218)