John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 128 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 128 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


twenty-five years later this building was en-
larged and remodeled. In 1855 the present
large and commodious church was built;
while the Lutheran congregation was under
the pastoral care of Rev. C. J. Deininger,
and the Reformed under Rev. D. Ziegler.

The ministers present at the corner-stone
laying of the present church, were Revs. A.
G. Deininger, A. Burg and J. O. Miller; at
the consecration were Revs. A. H. Lochman,
A. G. Deininger and J. Bossier. The succes-
sive pastors of the Lutheran congregation
were Revs. Hornell, Bager, N. Kurtz, Jacob
Goering, J. G. Schmucker, J. Oswald, A. G.
Deininger and C. J. Deininger. Rev. Leeser
has lately succeeded to the pastorate. Rev.
Deininger ministered to the congregation
here from 1846 to 1885, the time of his death,
during which period, in connection with his
preaching, he baptized 1,010 infants, thirty-
nine adults, ofiiciated at 275 funerals and
confirmed 611 persons — all connected with
the Lutheran congregation of this church.
The present Lutheran membership is 400.
The Reformed congregation was first served



NEWBERRY TOWNSHIP.



by the pastors from York, including Revs.
Liscby, Geistweite and others. Of later date
Revs. D.Ziegler, W. Kehm, Jacob Ziegler, and
I. S. Weisz succeeded each other in the order
named. The Reformed membership is about
300. The church is located in a rich agri-
cultural region, about five miles west of York,
one-third of a mile south of the "old five
mile house" originally owned by Peter Wolf,
on the York & Gettysburg Turnpike.

The attendance at Wolf's Church is very
large, and it has for 120 years been a central
point of interest in this township.

SHILOH CHUKCH.

In 1883 this beautiful brick church was
built along the Dover road, in this township,
and when dedicated, May 27, of the same
year, was given the above historic name.
The officiating clergymen at the time of ded-
ication were Revs. J. O. Miller, I. S. Weisz,
G. W. Enders, P. Anstadt. The cost of the
church was $4,600. The building committee
were Jonathan Wilt, George Leckrone and
Jesse Heilman.

Religious services had been held in Nei-
mau's school-house for many years before
the church was built, by Revs. Lochman
Warner, Anstadt and Lenhart. Rev. W. S.
Porr is the pastor of the Lutheran congrega-
tion of seventy- five



AN HISTOEIC OLD MILL SITE.

The mill on the road from York to Dover
is a very old structure. To the right of the
road, on the Little Conewago, and 400 yards
northeast from the present old building, was
built, about 1738, one of the very first mills
in York County, by Martin Weigle, who,
only a few years before, had emigrated from
Germany. He had tried first to build a mill
on the Codorus, near York, but found that
stream too large for his pioneer adventure.
The Indians, who were his neighbors, came
to view this encroachment upon their terri-
tory with weird astonishment.

The ingenious German gave them a
draught of whisky. They^ soon became
lively, and then went to work to assist in
digging the mill race. For a considerable
time that was the only mill west of York.
The old stone one now standing was built
before the Revolutionary war. The owner
of it, during that period, was not very patri-
otic toward the new government, and on sev-
eral occasions was censured for uttering
words that were questionable. About the
time the Revolution closed, a company of
soldiers on their march westward and toward
their homes, put up with him several days,



encamped in a meadow near by, and made
the well-to-do host prepare for them the best
food his tine flour and other farm products
would make. The mill was later owned by
Michael Beltzhoover, and in 1802 bought by
Dr. J. G. Schmucker. Daniel Gross and his
son, Samuel, were subsequent owners, and
in 1847 George Neiman purchased it. John
Neiman, the present owner, purchased it in
1856.



THE TOWNSHIP OF NEWBERRY.



EARLY HISTORY.

IN 1717, one year before the death of
Willian Penn, Sir William Keith, then a
distinguished Scottish nobleman, became
lieutenant-governor of the Province of Penn-
sylvania. Soon after this event, and before
a complete title to lands west of the Susque-
hanna had been obtained from the Indians,
a tract of laud in the northern part of the
present area of York County was designated
as "Keith's tract, called Newberry." June
15, 1722, Gov. Keith, met the chiefs of
three tribes of Indians — the Conestogoes, the
Shawanese and the Ganaways — a few miles
below the site of Columbia, and formed a
treaty with them. A few days afterward he
directed the survey of Springetsbury Manor,
which included the territory now around York.
Gov. Keith, in his letter of instructions to the
surveyors, directs that the northern limit of
the manor shall be the southern boundary of
his settlement, called Newberry, which seems
to have been in the present territory of Man-
chester Township. June 23, 1722, he wrote a
letter here, which was carried by a messenger
to the governor of Maiyland. It related to
the troubles and conflicts likely to arise con-
cerning the settlement of lands west of the
Susquehanna, now embraced within the
county of York. This letter was written at
"Newberry." He closed it as follows: "My
fatigue in the woods has brought a small
fever upon me, which an ounce of bark has
pretty much abated, so that to-morrow I shall
return home by slow journeys, directly to
Philadelphia, where I should rejoice to see
you." The exact location of the Newberry
Settlement can not be definitely stated. It is
quite evident, however, that the first author-
ized settlements, within the present limits of
York County, must have been made by ad-
venturers, who were on peaceful terms with
the Indians, and located on Keith's tract



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



with some kind of permits to locate land for
permanent occupancy.

TOWNSHIP FORMED.

Newberry Township was officially laid out
by the authority of the court at Lancaster, in
1742, and previous to the erection of York
County. It then included within its bound-
aries nearly all of Fairview and the eastern
third of Conewago. In 1783, when its
boundaries were still unchanged, it contained
33,107 acres of assessed land, had 15 grist and
saw-mills. 296 dwelling houses- -3 more than
the town of York then, and more than any
other township in the county. The popula-
tion at this period was 1,704, a large propor-
tion of whom were English Quakers, and an
intelligent and industrious people. Even
though of a non-resistant class, they early in
the Revolution championed the cause of
American freedom, and many of the sturdy
sons of this township bravely fought in
that war. Since the formation of Fairview
from it in 1803. and of eastern part of Cone-
wago, in 1819, its area is less than one-half
of the original size. It is at present of an
irregular shape. Its northern boundary,
separating it from Fairview, is an artificial
line: on the east is the Susquehanna River;
on the south Manchester and Conewago
Townships, with the Conewago Creek as the
boundary line; on the west is a portion of
Fairview and Warrington, with the Stony
Run as a dividing line.

Newberry Township contains much fertile
land, but the vast portion of it is quite hilly,
and there is considerable woodland.

In 1884 there were 672 taxable inhabitants,
with a property valuation of $727,645.
County tax, $2,758.

The population in 1880 was 2,244.



NEWBERRY



1783.



John Ashton, Cephas Atkeson, James
Bain, Jacob Burger, Andrew Donaldson,
Joseph Thatcher, Henry Krieger, Christopher
Heingardner, Adam Holtzapple, William
Hanna, John McCreary, Thomas McCad-
dams, Hugh McKee. George Michael, John
Ross, Jacob Rife, George Spence, Adam
ShuUar, Hugh Danner, Herman Uppdegraff,
James Willis, William Willis. Jesse Wick-
ei-sham, John Wilson, Thomas Watkins,
Absolom Hall and Thomas Whinnery, all
residents of Newberry (which then included
Fairview), were weavers. There were at this
time 821 sheep owned by the farmers of this
township. Jacob Eppley was a chair-maker;
William Baxter and John Driver were wheel-
rights; Adam Collpretzer, William George,



James Hancock, George Kay, coopers; Thomas
Warren, Samuel Nelson, John Mills and
John McMaster, carpenters: Samuel Grove,
gunsmith; Joseph Taylor, wagon-maker;
Jacob Burger, James Eliot, Jacob Manly,
Andrew Miller, Ellis Rogers, George Snyder,
cordwainers (shoe-makers); John Willis and
David Jenkins, masons; Edward Jones, sad-
dler; Isaac Bennett, Jesse Hays, Matthias
Riistler and William Randals, tailors; Eliza-
beth Chesney, (widow of William Ches-
ney) owned 4 houses, 470 acres of land. 1
distillery, 7 negro slaves 6 horses, 7
cows, 20 sheep and a ferry — entire, val-
uation £2,620 in money, which was the
highest in the township. The ferry men-
tioned extended across the Susquehanna below
the present site of New Market, in Fairview,
and the land owned was afterward known as
the Simpson property, later as the Halde-
man estate. Eli Lewis who afterward
founded the town of Lewisberrv owned
850 acres of laud, 6 dwelling houses, all
valued at £1,018; John Prunk owned 3
dwelling houses, 250 acres of land, a saw-
mill and a grist-mill, 3 horses and 6
cows — all valued at £1,104. His property
and mill were located at the site of Golds-
boro. The town was not built until sixty-live
years after this date. Henry Geiger owned
seventeen acres of land, a ferry, and the
I property at the Conewago Falls, where,
through individual enterprise, considerable
improvement had been made. It was after-
ward the site of Conewago Canal Company,
and later the York Haven Company. Entire
valuation of Geiger's property was £1,018.
Henry Forry owned land valued at £l,00(j;
John Harman a tanyard and 200 acres of
land, valued at £863; John Nicholas 250
' acres of land and two dwelling houses worth
i £664. Saw and grist mills were owned by
, Christian Fox, Godlove Fisher, John Har-
man, William Love, James Mills, William
Michael, John Prunk, Martin Shetter and
William Willis. The blacksmiths of the
townships were Jacob Highman, James Han-
cock, Samuel Keller, Yv'illiam Malsby, An-
thony Moore, Anthony Philips, Valentine
Shultz, Frederich Shurger, Nathan Thomas
and John Wire. Edward Jones was the only
saddler; Dr. Robert Kennedy was the only
physician regularly authorized to practice,
who then resided in the township, which then
had a population of 1,704. Lawrence Frost,
who came from Chester County, taught a
successful school for the Quakers, during the
Revolutionary war, and for twenty years
before. There are yet living people of that
section who heard their ancestors speak of



NEWBERRY TOAVNSHIP.



his virtues. He was possessed of a good
English education. James Webb owned the
Middletovva Ferry which was chartered in
1762. Some of the prominent land owners
and farmers, whose descendants still reside
there, were William Ashton, John Atticks,
Thomas Brinton, Adam Bower, William Brat-
ton, Christopher Coble, Simon Crone, Jacob
Drorbaugh, George Ensminger, Philip Fet-
row, John Fetro, Joseph Glancey, Cornelias
Garretson, John Garretson, William Gar-
retson, Jacob Hart, John Harsh, Joshua
Hutton, Robert Hammersley, William Hunt-
er, Andrew Klein, Michael Kern, Henry
Kiester, Ezekiel Kirk, Hugh Laird, John Mills,
John McCreary, Robert Miller, George Maish,
Jonathan McCreary, George Miller, Henry
Mathias, George Mansberger, John Nich-
olas, William Nailer, Samuel Nelson, John
Plow, John Postlewait, Michael Pollinger,
John Rankin, Samuel Ritcheson, Jacob
Rife, William Prowell, John Singer, Jacob
Shelley, Christian Stoner, John Starr, James
Shannon, Abraham Shelley, William Thor-
ley, George Thorley, Joseph Taylor, Jacob
Tate, William Thorp, Nathan Thomas, Dar-
riuk Updegrofif, Samuel Vernon, Joseph
Welsh, William Wilson, Robert Walker,
James Welsh and Andrew Welsh.

NEWBERRYTOWN.

This village was laid out by Cornelius Gar-
retson, in the year 1791. It is located near
the center of Newberry Township, on a ridge
of trap formation nearly two miles in width,
and extending from a point north of Lewis-
berry to York Haven. On many parts of
this ridge are huge boulders of dolerite
(granite) and the familiar "iron stone." A
short distance west of town, at a point called
"Roxbury," these boulders present to the eye
of the observer a novel and interesting sight.
A survey was made and forty-three lots laid
out by the founder of the town. Soon after-
ward the following-named persons purchased
one or more lots: James Garretson, Henry
Krieger, Esq., John Wilson, William Kline,
William Wickersham. Samuel Miller, Will-
iam Bratton, Chi-istopher Wilson, Herman
Kline, William Underwood, Zephaniah Under-
wood, Elisha Kirk, Cornelius Garretson, John
McCreary, Samuel Garretson, Jane Willough-
by and Eli Lewis. Nearly all of these persons
named were Quakers, some of them, or their
ancestors, had located there and in the vicin-
ity about fifty years before the founding of
the town. Henry Krieger was of German
origin, and for many years served as a jus-
tice of the peace. Zephaniah Underwood



and his son were teachers among the Friends.
They belonged to the Warrington Meeting.
The streets named in the original plat were
Main, on the road to Glancey's Ferry, on
which the town is built; Union, Mill and
Front Streets. Being located on the road
leading from Lancaster to Carlisle, crossing
the Susquehanna at a ferry chronologically
known as Galbreath's, Lowe's, Glancey's and
finally as the York Haven Ferry, Newberry-
town became an important stopping place.
In 1794 about 1,000 soldiers, known as the
"Whisky Boys," passed through the then
young village on their way to Carlisle, where
they joined the army that was reviewed by
President Washington, and marched to the
western part of Pennsylvania, to quell the
whisky insurrection. Benjamin House ac-
companied them as a volunteer soldier. He
lived somewhere in the immediate vicinity.
There were others who did the same, but
their names cannot now be ascertained. The
soldiers came from Philadelphia and the
eastern counties. It was daring the month
of October, They encamped one night in a
meadow one mile northeast of Lewisberry,
and the next day crossed the Yellow Breeches
Creek at Lisburn, thence to Carlisle.

Among the Revolutionary soldiers of New-
berry and vicinity were William Kline and
Frederich Boyer (Byers).

William Kline, always known as "Billy"
Kline, was one of the original lot owners of
the village. In the Continental army he served
in Col. Anthony Wayne's regiment, Capt,
Eraser's company, from December, 1775, until
March, 1777, He lived to a good old age, and
died about 1830, He was accustomed to tell
many thrilling stories of the daring bravery
of his famous commander, and tradition
says he afterward, in 1781, joined Gen.
Wayne's army at York, on its march to the
Soath.

Frederich Byers served in the detachment
under Col. Almon, from 1777 to 1779, when he
enlisted in a corps of cavalry under Capt.
Selinki, and under command of Gen. Pulaski,
he served in the corps until nearly the whole
of it was destroyed. He lived until after
1820. The nick-name "Hessian," applied to
him, was altogether inappropriate, except
that he nobly assisted to capture a number of
them in the battle of Brandywine, These
soldiers both became pensioners under the
act of 1818.

This village did not grow rapidly, as it is
now nearly a century old and does not exceed
200 in population. It is the voting place of
the township.

The historic old Quaker meeting house



«26



HISTOEY OF YORK COUNTY.



and burying ground are in the east end of
■the village. For the history of it, the read-
er's attention is directed to the article on the
"Friends," in this work, page .

The first place of meeting was a log-build-
ing near the present site of Mrs. Lydia
Crull's house.

A short distance north of the village, Isaac
Taylor, during the civil war and some years
later, manufactured a considerable amount of
sorghum.

Public Well. — Cornelius Garrettson and
Hannah his wife, in 1803, for a consideration
of 5 shillings, deeded to "the inhabitants of
the town of Newberry, and for and in behalf
of those persons who may at any time here-
after attend the meetings of the Society of
■Friends, or for persons who may pass
'through the town for divers other causes,"
■a well of water lying near the meeting house
of Friends. The well is still in public use,
and yields good water. It is near the old
meeting house.

The Postoffice. — When York Haven was in
its glory as a manufacturing center, the mail
for Newberry and vicinity was obtained at
that place. In 1826 Thomas Wickersham se-
cured the establishment of an office here.
It was on account of the postolSce that the
name then became Newberrytown. At this
time John Hays, then a youth, obtained a
■contract to carry the mail from York Haven
to Newberrytown, once a week. Thomas
Wickersham contiuued postmaster for ten
years or more, and was succeeded by Adam
Stevens, Jesse Hays, John Crall, Jacob
Wolf, John B. Crull, Dr. Alfred Myers,
Mrs. Crull and Servatus Hays.

Stores. — The first store in the village was
kept by Henry Krieger nearly a century ago,
in the house which has since been remodeled,
and is now owned by Mrs. Jane Herman.
Henry Kister, Charles Bishop, Mills Hays,
Jesse Hays, Joseph McCreary, John Crull,
Martin Crull, J. Miller, George Beck, David
ITpdegraff, Servatus Hays and Ambrose Bru-
baker have each condacted the mercantile
business in Newberrytown.

The Cigar Industry. — During the year
1831, Jacob B. Wolf introduced the manu-
facture of cigars in Newberrytown. He came
from Strinestown, and brought with him a
number of workmen, who had learned the
trade. At that time all cigars made in York
County were of an inferior quality of tobac-
co, and most of the cigars themselves were
familiarly called "tobies." A better kind
was soon manufactured. This new industry
added greatly to the material interests of
the village, and soon furnished employment



to a lai'ge number of the citizens of both sex-
es. Chri-stian Shelley married a daughter of
Jacob Wolf, and embarked in the business
on quite an extensive scale. Abraham Brin-
ton and Joel Brinton did a large business.
and Alexander Frazer. at one time, employed
about fifty workmen. Some of the other
manufacturers of importance have been as
follows: Julius Kister, Kurtz & Taylor, D.
H Kister, David Updegraff, C. E. Bare, H.
S. Byers, A. K. Whisler, R. W. Lease and
Koch & Son; Crull Hays at present is en-
gaged in the manufacture of cigar boxes.
For the past twenty years fine qualities of ci-
gars are made.

A Pottery. — A lost industry to the village
is the manufacture of pottery ware, which
was begun by Thomas Wickersham, who for
many years employed about half a dozen
men. He began his pottery about 1830. and
continued until 1851, when he moved to
Keokuk, Iowa. In 1838, and one or two
years following, he became prominently iden-
tified with the raising of the silk mulberry
trees, but like the experiments of many oth-
ers in the Kedland Yalley, and in fact in
many other places, it did not prove a success.
Jesse May purchased the pottery and worked
it. He was followed in the same business
by Jesse and Julius Meredith. It has been
discontinued for a number of years. The
clay used was an excellent quality, obtained
along the Hay Run, in Newberry Township.

Fo/-fc County Rangers was the name of a
volunteer military company, organized in
Newberrytown about 1825, and drilled seven
years. Alvin ^Vard was captain; Peter Beard
first lieutenant; Ezekiel Sankey, fifer; Eman-
uel Sipe, John Funk and D. K. Nooll (now
of York), drummers. The company consist-
ed of fifty men. The captain became a lo-
cal preacher, and the company disbanded.

The Newberry Volunteers were commanded
by Capt. John Crull. The Captain and
most of his company entered the Union ar-
my during the civil war.

"Paddletown" is a familiar name for a
small collection of dwellings near the old
meeting house. A long while ago Abigail
Miller, of Newberrytown, bad two married
daughters, who lived at this place. Their
many children "paddled" back and forth to
visit the affectionate grandmother, who gave
their home the name long since used.

Union Meeting House was located a short
distance northeast of Newberrytown. In 1833
the house was built by the Methodists, United
Brethren in Christ, Baptists and Church of
God. It was used until 1884. The first
Sunday-school of the vicinity was organized




-nJ M, MoAJ



j<






NEAVBERKY TOWNSHIP.



in it, and tlie same building, for a long time,
■was also used as a schoolhouse. Jacob G.
Kister, John S. Nichols and John Machlin
were the first trustees. Mills Hays was
secretary and treasurer. The land was pur-
chased of John Ort.

The Bethel Church in the village was built
in 1856, and dedicated during the following
^February. Rev, Carlton Price was then pas-
tor. The building committee were Jacob F.
Krone, Christian Shelley, Jacob B. Wolf and
Samuel McCreary. This church is a part of
the East York Circuit of the Church of God,
and is served by the same pastor as Goldsboro
Bethel.

St. PauVs Church, of the Evangelical As-
sociation, was biiiltof an excellent quality of
native sandstone, under the auspices of the
Evangelical Association, in 1873. The build-
ing committee were the pastor, Rev. A. W.
Kramer, H. S. Bjers and H. M. Whisler.
The cost was $2,500. Rev. U. T. Swengel
preached the dedicatory sermon, in February,
1874. Rev. Kramer was succeeded by Revs.
John Irvine, E. Swengel, Stapleton, Samuel
Davis, Anthony and L. Dice. The church
■occupies a commanding position on an emi-
nence overlooking the beautiful Fishing
Creek Valley, to the north; the picturesque
Susquehanna and the fertile fields of Dauphin
aud Lancaster Counties, on the east. The
trustees are Washington Ort, Jacob G. Brin-
ton, AYilliam Simmons and H. M. Whisler.
A Sunday-school is held in the chui-ch.

GOLDSBORO.
In the year 1738 Nathan Hussey, an intel-
ligent Quaker, from New Castle County, Del,
who, in 1749, became one of the commission-
ers to lay off York County, obtained a grant
for land on which the village of Goldsboro
now stands, and a short distance above he
opened a ferry across the Susquehanna. In
1743 a road was opened from Walnut Bottom,
now in Cumberland County, then in Lancaster
County, through Fishing Creek Valley, to Hus-
sey's lerry. • A grist-mill was built at the
mouth of the creek as early as 1750. The fish-
ing interests on the islands of the Susquehanna
became profitable, and Col. James Burd, of
French and Indian war fame, who lived at
his mansion, called "Tinian," located above
Middletown, became the owner of the river
lands, Nathan Hussey having moved to York,
where he became one of the founders of the
Friend's Meeting there, in 1 764. The mill,
for more than a third of a century, was owned
by John Prunk, and was known as the "Red
Mill." Joseph Glancey, who was elected
county commissioner in 1804, lived near this



place, and erected a mill further up the
stream, and, according to tradition, " had the
roads run over hill and valley, to suit him-
self." There was a continuous road from
York to Harrisburg, along the Susquehanna,
as early as 1800, but it was not a much trav-
eled route until the turnpike was completed
from York Haven to Harrisburg, when it then
became a prominent stage route. The ex-
change stables were at Crull's tavern, one
mile below the site of this borough, and an
important stopping place for exchanging
horses was at Henry Etter's tavern, one mile
north of the town. This is now known as
Free's Distillery, an important industry begun
there in 1856 by the present owners, H. Free
& Co. Henry Etter, as early as 1838, secured
the establishment of a postoffice at his tavern,
which was named Etter's. When the York &
Cumberland Railroad was being constructed,
in 1849-50, over the line of the turnpike, the
stage line for a year or two left the turnpike
route at Etter's tavern, and extended up the
valley to Harrisburg.

Before 1848 there were two competing
stage lines over the pike from Harrisburg to
York. At one time passengers were conveyed
from one place to the other for fifty cents
each and a good dinner in the bargain.

The site of Goldsboro, down to 1850, con-
sisted of three or four houses and the "old
Red Mill." Martin P. Burger conducted a
small store east of the turnpike. This col-
lection of houses was humorously called



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 128 of 218)