John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 133 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 133 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


The firm is also engaged in the undertaking
business.

H. Deitz has a coach shop in Anderson-
town.

Monaghan Township has three saw-mills:
P. Laucks' near Bowmansdale; Levi Lantz's
on the Yellow Breeches, and L. T. Fortney's
on a small stream a short distance southeast
of Mount Pleasant.

One of the first grist-mills within the pres-
ent limits of Monaghan Township was a
small log-structure, with an undershot wheel,^
built by William Parks on the Yellow
Breeches. After some years the log-building
was torn down, and a stone one was built,
with the same undershot wheel for motive
power. John Gardner, Esq., of York, once
owned this mill. The undershot wheel was-
exchanged and a "center discharge" was
used up to 1882, when P. Lauck put in twa
thirty- inch turbine wheels. The capacity of
this mill is 1,200 bushels per day (twenty-
four hours).

Watts' Mill is situated three-fourths of a



CAKROLl. TOWNSHIP.



649



mile northeast of Siddonsburg. Robert
Bryson built a grist-mill on the site of
Clark's saw-mill, but taking fire it was de-
stroyed, after which the present mill was
built by Mr. Bryson. who also built oveus
for drying corn and manufactured it into
meal; he furnished hundreds of barrels to
the city market.

LANDIS' ORE BANK.

The farm of Daniel Landis was first sur-
veyed by Roger Cook, in pursuance of a
warrant dated June 23, 1746, by Thomas
and Richard Penn, Esqs., and after the lapse
of over one hundred years, the first ore was
discovered, when the land was in the posses-
sion of Mrs. Mary Knisely.

A.n Englishman by the name of Bosworth
eflected the first lease on the property in the
year 1839, but did not develop the mine,
and sold his lease to ex -Gov. Porter, of
Harrisburg, who worked it successfully and
hauled the ore to Harrisburg on wagons for
a few years, and after that to Shiremanstown,
and the ore was shipped over the Cumber-
land Valley Railroad. The Kniselys re-
ceived 25 cents per ton royalty. About the
year 1873, the farm and ore bank came
into the possession of the present owner,
and his first lease was given to H. O. Shelly
April 18, 1874, who mined about 1,300 tons,
when he sold out to Jackson C. Fuller of
Philadelphia, January 10, 1875, for $2,500.
At this time there was only one opening,
and no machinery; about 500 tons of ore
mined. Mr. Landis made a lease to J. C.
Fuller, January 15, 1875, who held the
property under lease until November, 1882,
and mined about 7,000 tons of ore. In
October, 1883, Mr. Landis leased the bank
to H. O. Shelly. The vein is from ten to
fourteen feet in thickness. The ore is mag-
netic.

FEUIT CULTURE.

Monaghan has an enviable reputation for
the cultivation of fine fruit in great abun-
dance. Small orchards were planted early ,
in the history of the township, but it is
within the recollection of the older inhabi- i
tants of this section that fruit culture became j
so prominent an industry. Jacob Coeklin
originated the business here. He planted
his first orchard in the township, in the year j
1827, and became a citizen of it the follow- j
ing year (1828), no other nursery being
nearer than Carlisle. Since that time he has
introduced and grown over 180 varieties of I
apple, 120 varieties of peach, 80 vai-ieties of I
pear, 40 varieties of cherry and 10 varieties



of apricot trees, besides many other kinds of
fruit, timber and ornamental trees. He
planted the first vineyard here, importing a
great number of his vines from Germany,
but was unsuccessful in cultivating the for-
eign fruit. The greatest amount realized in
one year from his peach orchard was in 1846;
commenced gathering August 4, and finished
October 10, and sold over 1,500 bushels
for $980, and thirty-five barrels brandy at
75 cents per gallon. Nearly all the farms in
the township have apple orchards, and some
have been engaged in cultivating the peach.
The growing of small fruits, such as the
raspberry, strawberry, blackberry and grape,
has engaged the attention of quite a number
of the inhabitants, and a profitable business
has been developed. Thousands of dollars
come into the township annually by this in-
dustry alone. The following is the yield for
1884, as nearly as can be ascertained
by actual canvass: strawberries, 73,000
quarts, or over 2,280 bushels; raspberries,
89,900 quarts, or over 1,246 bushels; black-
berries, 3,000 quarts, and about seven tons
of grapes were marketed.



THE TOWNSHIP OF CARROLL.

THIS township was formed out of eastern
part of Franklin and western part of
Monaghan. The viewers appointed to make
the division were William Caldwell, John
Aughenbaugh and George Darron. The
court confirmed their I'eport in 1831. The
names of the petitioners for the new town-
ship were Henry Logan, F. Eiehelberger,
Isaac Prosser, Alexander Cathcart, Samuel
Anderson, W. Elcock, Andrew Mumper, John
H. Carl, Robert Hamersly, Michael Bender,
John Bentz, John Eiehelberger, M. Arnold.
John Hursh, Henry Smyser, Jacob Lau,
George Klugh, Noah Mumper, James Black,
Jacob Shearer, Jacob Knisley, Abraham De-
huif and Aaron G. Blackford and others.

Carroll joins the county of Cumberland on
the north, the townsfhip of Monoghan on
the east. AVashington on the south, and Frank-
lin on the west. The land, which is quite
undulating, slopes to the north and is drained
by the Dogwood Run and Stony Run, tribu-
taries of the Yellow Bi-eeches. The soil in
general is very fertile and productive. This
township contains some of the finest homes
and farms in the county. There are valua-
ble deposits of iron ore, much of which has



650



HISTOBY OF YOEK COUNTY.



been taken out. A bed of marl was found on
the farm of John Dill in 1799.

The population of Carroll, including Dills-
burg, in 1880, was 1,338: the number of tax-
ables in 1884, in township alone, 348; valu-
ation of real estate, $569,465; county tax
S2,146; State tax, §65.

The Harrisburg & Potomac Railroad crosses
the upper end of this township, and the
Mechanicsburg & Dillsburg Railroad pene-
trates to the last-named town.

The iron interests of Carroll are of special
importance, and future developments promise
still more favorable results. The following
article was carefully prepared by John N.
Logan, Esq.

IRON ORE MINES OF CARROLL.

Iron ore was discovered in Carroll Town-
ship by Abraiiam Mumper, about the year
1847, and very soon afterward by John Mum-
per. These were the first known deposits of
magnetic ore west of the celebrated Corn-
wall mines in Lebanon County, Penn.,and they
are supposed to be continuations of the same
iron belt. The Mumper farms lie directly
east of the town of Dillsburg, and the mines
are but one mile from the town. The early
discoveries consisted of large deposits lying
very close to the surface of the ground; in
fact, one of the very best pockets was only
covered by about two feet of sand or gravel.
These beds, or pockets of ore, were worked
very successfully by the Messrs. Mumper and
their sons for a number of years, and the ore
hauled on wagons to Mechanicsburg, Penn.,
a distance of eight miles, that being the
nearest railroad station, and in many in-
stances it was hauled much farther.

Mining operations were conducted with
varying success by other parties in the town-
ship and a great influx of prospectors followed,
but with the exception of the beds of ore just
mentioned, nothing of any magnitude was
discovered, except a mine on the farm of
Martin Smyser, adjoining Messrs. Mumper,
and a deposit near the Yellow Breeches Creek
in Monoghan Township, near the present
mine of Mr. Landis. Subsequently Henry
Sidle made a discovery on what is now known
as the Price farm, near the mines now worked
by Mr. D. W. Cox. The hemetite mines
west of Dillsburg were of a much more re-
cent date, and the deposit much more exten-
sive, and the late developments have clearly
shown that they are practically inexhaustible.
Dr. Lewis Heck, of Dauphin, Penn., who,
bought the Knaub Mine some ten years ago,
has proved, beyond doubt, that the hematite
ore on the south side of the South Mountain,



is both much richer and very much more
abundant than was at first supposed, and the
McCormick Mine and the Wolf Mine now
operated by Maj. H. D. Markley are both
showing up rich and abundant deposits of a
very superior variety of hematite ore, and
the best territory is yet supposed to be un-
touched. These mines are situated about
three miles west of Dillsburg.

But to return to the Magnetic Mines re-
ferred to in the beginning of this article.
The panics in the iron trade variously etfected
them, and although the Messrs. Mumpers
worked veiy successfully, they had many ob-
stacles to overcome, and after mining thou-
sands of tons of the surface ore, and reap-
ing handsome fortunes, finally abandoned
the mines, believing the jjaying ore had all
been taken out, and that the cost of further
search, and the long haul upon wagons
would eat up all the profits. Little mining

I was done for a number of years, and Messrs.
McCormick & Co., of Harrisburg, Penn., did
the most of it. In 1867 Alexander Under-
wood, Esq., a son-in-law of Abraham Mum-
per, bought the Abraham Mumper farm,
Messrs. McCormick & Co., having become
the owners of the John Mumper ore lands.
Mr. Underwood, with his characteristic en-
ergy, determined to investigate the property
more fully, and sunk a shaft through the
"Trap rocks.'' and was rewarded by the dis-
covery of the magnificent mine now owned
and worked by him. This was a wonderful
event in the mining history of the country,
and exploded all former theories regarding
the finding of ore in this region. Whilst
the building of the Harrisburg & Potomac and
the Dillsburg & Mechanicsburg Railroads
afforded a much needed outlet, by way of
transportation to market, for the ore. Mr.
Underwood's principal find was made in the
fall of 1872, and was succeeded the next
year by the important discovery made by
John N. Logan, Esq. Mr. Logan had in-
herited from his father. Col. Henry Logan,
a tract of land known as the '' Cotton farm,"
lying directly east of the Mumper farms,
but sold it at a very ordinary price, as the
land was not supposed to be worth much,

1 and the "practical miners " thought there
was no ore on it. But as soon as he learned
of the find of Mr. Underwood, he at once
set to workto make a very careful survey of
the surrounding country, and came to the
conclusion he had sold the best iron laud in
the township, and that the great body of the
Underwood vein of ore would be found on
that tract. He at once determined to buy it
back, and paid to Mr. Hafner, what at that




e^yf-Ayy^



CARROLL TOWNSHIP.



651



time was considered a most fabulous price,
and became the laughing stock of the coun-
try for being such a fool as to throw away
his money on so hazardous an investment.
But Mr. Logan was not to be driven from
his purpose by any such impediments, but
went immediately to work, and after what at
that time seemed almost unsurmountable dif-
ficulties, sunk his shaft on a line directly
east of Mr. Underwood, and at a depth of
thirty feet, found the same vein of ore, and
proved to the country that his ojsinions were
well founded, and that he had not worked on
a mere speculation. This was the advent for
a wholesale influx of prospectors, and almost
every piece of land that was supposed to
contain ore, was leased by some party. But
the terrible financial panic of September,
1873, struck a severe blow to the iron busi-
ness, and the numerous failures that followed
delayed greatly the development of the iron
interests. But the advent of better times,
revived business, and an industry of so much
importance, could not lie dormant. Messrs.
McCormick & Co., leased Mr. Logan's mine,
and have worked it for ten years, and im-
proving the mines both of Mr. Underwood
and Mr. Logan, have shown a deposit of ore
varying from five to fifty feet in thickness.
After these discoveries the Smyser Mine
was opened, then the Bell, next the McClure,
the Price (which was operated by Mr.
Cox,) and last and most important of all the
mine opened, and the prospecting of Mr. G.
A. Longnecker. Mr. Longnecker leased a
considerable tract of land from Messrs. Un-
derwood, Fleming and Logan, and after
thoroughly developing the mine on Mr. Un-
derwood's land, proceeded to drill down on
Mr. Fleming's land with a "Diamond Drill"
to a depth of more than 1,000 feet,
and although the results of his operation
have not as yet been made public, sufficient
is known to warrant the statement that an
immense deposit of ore has been found at
great depth, and that the quantity is sup-
posed to be inexhaustible. And we are now
led to believe that our mining interests are
after all only in their infancy. The quality
of the ores have been given by other parties;
sufdce it to say, they are very rich in metalic [
iron and quite free from impurities, thus
proving their great value.

It is learned that during the last twelve
years, more than 120,000 tons of magnetic
iron ore have been shipped from the mines
referred to, and the amount of money paid
out for labor alone, during that time, will
exceed $250,000. There is no doubt
very much more territory containing val-



uable deposits of both varieties of iron
ore, as yet untouched, and all that is want-
ing is increased railroad facilities and more
capital and energy to develop the untold
wealth that must at some day return remu-
nerative profits to the diligent investors.

TAXABLE INHABITANTS.

The following is a list of the taxable in-
habitants of Monaghan in 1783, which then
included Carroll and Franklin:

Henry Anidorf, 130 acres £ 200

James Anderson, 1 still 211

Michael Alker ^

John Anderson, 50 acres 2.5

Albert Andrew, 1.50 acres 242

Daniel Brinkerhoof 8

Edward Brady 2

Michael Brady, 20 acres 20

Daniel Bailey, 50 acres 116

Wendal Baker 42

Adam Brumer 27

James Brawly, 43 acres 53

Christian Baker, 50 acres 76

William Beans 88

Robert Bole 23

.John Brown 28

Hugh Beans 24

Thomas Beans, 100 acres 150

James Beans, 100 acres 116

Samuel Beans, 100 acres 100

Robert Beans, 100 acres 100

Thomas Beans, Jr 146

Richard Blackford, 182 acres 148

Charles Byars, 100 acres 148

Elizabeth Braken, 140 acres 151

Joseph Bash, 30 acres 48

Jesse Cook, 105 acres, 1 tanyard 148

Taylor Conrad, 140 acres 166

Amelia Cleveland 13

Robert Cunningham, 74 acres 98

AVilliam Colston, 100 acres 173

Charles Colston, 300 acres 583

David Colston, 100 acres 161

AVilliam Camion, 160 acres 200

Christian Coiner, 24 acres 33

Patrick Campbell, 118 acres 162

Archibald Campbell

Henry Coiler, 70 acres 23

John Carothers, 297 acres 395

Benjamin Cable, 166 acres 209

Thomas Campbell, 200 acres 200

William Crawford,' 42 acres 25

Robert Crawford 16

Nicholas Coulson, 100 acres 172

Ann Daugherty, 80 acres 80

Jacob Deardorff, 132 acres 465

Jacob Deardorfl, 180 acres

Isaac Deardorff, 150 acres 485

Henry Deardorff, 100 acres

Joseph Dixon, 1 tan-yard 80

Alexander Donaldson, 1 tan-yard 9

Thomas Dill, 130 acres 173

Col. Matthew Dill, 350 acres, 1 slave, 1 still. . 564

John Develin 21

MathewDill, Jr 19

James Dill, 650 acres, 2 slaves 992

John Eickinger, 50 acres, 1 tanyard 104

David Eyres

Isaac Elliot, 1 tanyard 46

Benjamin Elliot, 100 acres 192

Robert Elliot, 200 acres 270

Joseph Elliot. 250 acres 335

Henry Pinley 8



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



George Fry £59

Thomas FuHerton 12

William Fisher 3

Joshua Fresher 126

Anthony Fisher 18

James Fisher. .50 acres 91

William Godfry, 6i2 acres, 1 slave 797

Alex Galacher 18

William GaiTettson, 290 acres 362

William Grist, 100 acres 488

Daniel Grist 550

Casper Groob, 100 acres 58

George Heikes, 103 acres 143

Isaac Hodge 19

Stoffel Hoffman. 90 acres 68

Peter Haushalter, 309 acres, 1 slave 533

George Heikes, 100 acres 119

George Hopple, 50 acres 90

Bailiff Kennedy, 170 acres 203

John Kerr, 100 acres 123

John Kneisly, 58 acres 53

Philip King 23

Christopher King, 250 acres 360

James Kitely 194

John Kennedy, 76 acres 99

Peter Keiser, 100 acres 129

George Lenhardt, 100 acres 78

William Lemer, 103 acres 82

Mathew Long 14

Abraham Lobach, 126 acres 270

Jacob Lerew, 100 acres 258

James Livingston 12

WUliam Lemer, 200 acres 394

Henry Logan, 150 acres 444

Bryon McDonnel 8

Joseph McDowel 16

William Mitchel, 308 acres 371

Hugh McMullen, 50 acres 103

Hugh Moore

Samuel McClure 40

Henry Miller, 10 acres 37

John 'Miller, 190 acres, 1 still : 257

George Miller, 100 acres 101

John Miller 13

Stoffel Moody, 50 acres 45

Michael Mumper, 400 acres, 1 slave, 1 still 637

George Messersmith, 40 acres 82

John McGriffith 4

Peter Mvers, 3 acres 10

Daniel Sliller, 140 acres 162

George McMullen, 80 acres 140

Daniel McCurdy, 107 acres 147

Robert Moody 16

William Mills 6

Samuel Nelson, 161 acres 290

Jerey Newman 5

Samuel Nisely, 100 acres 80

Edward O'Hail, 70 acres 80

JohnO'Hail 143 acres 168

John Oldshoe, 30 acres 169

Benjamin Oram, 150 acres 169

Lawrence Oats, 40 acres 38

Andrew Peterson, 100 acres 17

William Patterson 17

William Potter, 139 acres 159

Philip Bence 4

John Prince, 240 acres 334

William Porter, 80 acres 188

William Parks, 190 acres 309

Richard Peters 1,300 acres 975

Henry Pearson 193

Pearson Vincent 14

Samuel Pedan, 190 acres, 2 slaves 228

James Quigley 51

Jacob Reever, 162 acres 202

George Riess, 45 acres 63

Jacob Richardson, 85 acres, 2 slaves 448



George Ross, 280 acres

William Renolds, 50 acres

Thomas Robinson, 100 acres

George Steel, 300 acres

Isaac Steel, 10 acres

Henry Lever, 100 acres

Jacob Shull, 100 acres

Jacob Smith, 150 acres

William Squib

Daniel Spontle

Philip Smith. 5 acres

Gabriel Smith, 100 acres.

Henry Staufler, 200 acres

Henry Shafer, 93 acres . .

David Shoeman, 3 acres

Nicholas Shadow, 150 acres

Rudolph Stiers, 60 acres

Godfry Steel, 107 acres

Barnet Sneider

Andrew Sans, 30 acres

I Daniel Stanton

John Thompson, 100 acres

Francis Travlet

Allen Torbet. 350 acres

John Trough.

Andrew Wilson, 600 acres, 2 slaves

Lewis AVilliams, 180 acres

Andrew Wilson, 387 acres

John Wilson

John AVilliams, 200 acres

Joshua Williams

AVilliam Webster

Daniel Williams, 300 acres, 1 still, 1 slave.

John Williams, 100 acres

James Wilson, 110 acres

John Wilson, 300 acres

Abraham Williams, 247 acres

Andrew Williams

Joseph Wilson

Amos Williams

I Edward Williams

Henry Wales, 130 acres

Ludwig Zimmerman, 445 acres, 1 still



220
375



SINGLE MEN.

Peter Brunner. William Turner.

Jacob Brunner. Alexander Wilson.

Jacob Wagner. Robert Torbet.

John Heiser. Henry Deardorff.

Joseph Moulen. Obediah Pedan.

George Ross. Joshua Williams.

Richard Ross. Robert Ayers.

THE BOROUGH OF DILLSBURG.
This town which bears the honored name
of the most prominent Scotch-Irish settler
of the vicinity, was laid out by one of his
descendants in the year 1800. For more
than half a century before this event, the
immediate vicinity was quite densely popu-
lated and the home of the Dills and the
Presbyterian Church near by, were the center
of interest to the "Monaghan settlement."
The town is situated on the old Harrisburg
and Baltimore road, and consequently at a
very early day, was on the line of a much
traveled route. There was an Indian trail
and trader's route at a still earlier period,
extending north and south over nearly the
same lin«. Two miles to the west and
northwest of the town at an elevation of



CARROLL TOWNSHlJf.



1,000 feet above the sea level extends the
southern ridge of the South Mountains,
whose picturesque vpooded height casts its
evening shadow ujDon the honest villagers at
an early hour of the winter's day. Natvire
in the long ago, by a great convulsion and
upheaval, formed this, as it now seems to be,
tutelary monitor of the destiny of its sur-
roundings, clothed it in vernal beauty and
made it the abode of the bear, the wolf, the
deer, and the wild turkey. These and the
palatable fish that swam in Dogwood Run
and the Yellow Breeches,* furnished most of
the necessary food for the red man of the
forest, who was the first human inhabitant
of this region and built his wigwam along
these winding streams. From 1755 to 1758,
during the French and Indian war, this
settlement was several times threatened by
the invasion of hostile Indians. As late as
1780, the township assessor reported that
Elijah Adams, Adam Brunner, John Dick-
son, Philip King, Robert Moody, William j
MeCadger, Alexander Wilson, Peter Brun-
ner and Jacob Brunner who lived along the I
mountains were "drove by the Indians" from i
their lands which could not be assessed for
that year. |

Dillsburg when first laid out did not grow
rapidly yet, it became an important stopping
place on the routes between York and Car- ,
lisle, and Harrisburg and Baltimore. One
or two taverns were kept there and the Dills
and others conducted a mercantile business. \
During the Revolutionary period this was a [
very important section of the county.

INCOEPORATION.

Dillsburg was incorporated with limited
powers in 1833. At the first election John
Lynch was inspector, Jacob Heiges and
Charles Stough, judges, George L. Shearer
was chosen chief bm-gess; Daniel Ahl, assis-
tant burgess; Daniel Bailey, Robert Ham-
mersly, John Bradley, Mode Griffith and
Charles Stouch, councilmen; Peter Leit-
ner, high constable; Jacob Heiges, collector,
and Alexander Cathcart, clerk. The names of
the chief burgesses in order of succession
are as follows: George L. Shearer, 1834;
James O'Hail, 1835-30; Jacob B. Hursh,
1838; James O'Hail, 1839-40; Abraham
Dehuff, 1841; David Bender, 1842; Daniel
Baily, 1843; J. B. Hurst, 1844; Christian
Pf abler, 1845; Thomas Campbell, 1846;
Francis Leas, 1847; John Weimer, 1848;
Frederick Ditmer, 1849; Jacob Lau, 1850;
Daniel Bailey, 1851; Jacob Heiges, 1852;



Joel G. Underwood, 1853; James G. Moore,
1854; Benjamin Knaub, 1855; Joel G.
Underwood, 1856; Alexander Billifelt, 1857;
John M. Heiges, 1858-59; Thomas L. Spahr,
1860; Henry C. Smyser, 1861; John A.
Smith, 1862-63; Frederick Ditmer, 1864;
Samuel P. Nelson, 1865; Frederick Ditmer,
1866; George W. Reed, 1867; Frank Dit-
mer, 1868; Robert A. Moore, 1869; Samuel
Wagner, 1870; Abraham' Lunkert, 1871;
Frederick Ditmer, 1872-73; Samuel Ross,
1875; D. W. Beitzel, 1876; John A. Arnold,
1877; George Lau, 1878; H, C. Smyser,
1879; George Ditmer. 1880; A. Billifelt,
1881; James Porter, 1882; J. A. Smith,
1883; H. C. Smyser, 1884; M. J. Bailey,
1885.

The council for 1885 is as follows: E,
W. Shapley, president; Lemuel Ross, J. H,
Graff, A. D. Altland, Peter Spathe and H.
R. Spahr; Emanuel Myers, is clerk to coun-
cil and is also justice of the peace. The
other justice is William Beitzel. Popula-
tion of borough about 600; number of taxable
inhabitants, 220; valuation of real estate in
1884 was 1119,528.

BUSINESS INTERESTS.

The Dillsburg Bank organized as a private
banking institution under the style of Miller,
Deardorff & Co., began business September
4, 1873.

Andrew G. Miller, then cashier of the
Farmers & Mechanics Bank of Shippens-
burg, Penn., and James N. Blair, Esq., a capi-
talist of Dillsburg, Penn. , were the projectors
of the institution. When the object of their
enterprise became known they were joined by
Jacob Cover, Joseph Deardorflf, William Beit-
zel, George Wick and John N. Logan. A per-
manent oi'ganization was effected September
4th, 1873 in the house of David Sheffer of
Dillsburg, which had been secured for the
business. Captain William E. Miller (son of
A. G. Miller, Esq.), a leading hardware
merchant of Carlisle, Penn.,was elected presi-
dent, and held the office for two yeai-s.
Joseph Deardorfl", Esq., the leading capitalist
I of Carroll Township, was elected vice-presi-
dent and John N. Logan, Esq., was elected
the cashier. The board of directors con-
sisted of William E. Miller, A. G. Miller,
Joseph Deardorff, William Beitzel, Jacob
Coover, James N. Blair and George Dick,
The early history of the bank was a very try-
ing one. Scarcely had' the new enterprise
been started, when the terrible panic of
1873 plunged the whole nation into the
: greatest financial crisis in our country's his-
1 tory. And the years L873-78 were such as



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



to severely try the solvency of any financial
institution. But the principal stockholders
stuck to it with a determined will, and in



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 133 of 218)