John Gibson.

History of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present online

. (page 134 of 218)
Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 134 of 218)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1878 reorganized it as a National Bank.
Joseph Deardorff, Esq., became president in
1875. and upon the death of Geo. Dick,
Esq., his son. Edward Dick, was elected
to his place in the board, while A.
G. Blackford, Esq., was elected to fill
the vacancy caused by the retirement of N.
G. Miller, "Esq., on the failure of the Farm-
ers & Mechanics Bank of Shippensburg,
Penn., and in 1877 Mr. William Beitzel sold
out his stock to M. J. Blackford, who upon the
retirement of Daniel W. Beitzel, Esq., the
first teller of the bank from its organization,
succeeded him as teller. In September,
1878, a charter was obtained for the Dills-
burg National Bank, and on November 1,
commenced business as a National Bank with
the following officers : President. Joseph
Deardorfl^ ; vice president, Jacob Coover ;
cashier, John N. Logan : teller, M. J. Black-
ford ; directors : Joseph Deardorff, Jacob
Coover, A. G. Blackford, Andrew Bentz,
Henry Bowman, William Sadler and Ed-
ward Dick. Paid up capital. §50,000.
With the advent of better times came
gi'eat prosperity, and those of the stock-
holders who stood by the old institution
lived to see a flourishing business built up in
the new bank. The officer bought the fine
business house of T. L. Spahr and removed
the bank there and conducted the business in
that house until 1884, when they bought the
present building in which the bank is now
situated. In 1880, Mr. M. J,, Blackford, the
teller, was elected to the Pennsylvania Leg-
islature, and George W. Cook, Esq., a
nephew of Mr. Deardorff, was elected teller.
In 1880 the capital stock was increased to
160,000. The National Bank has been
quite a success, and the business grew
from a small deposit in 1878 of $20,-
000 to $120,000 in 1884. In the winter of
1884 Mr. Logan's health failed, and he was
obliged to tender his resignation as cashier ;
but it was not accepted by the board of
directors until August of the same year, when
Mr. G. W. Cook was elected to succeed him.
When Mr. Logan retired the bank had a
capital of $60,000. Surplus and undivided
profits of $5,000, a deposit of more than
$100,000. The present officers are Joseph
Deardroff, president ; George W. Cook, cash-
ier; John B. Firestone, teller. Directors :
Joseph Deardorff, M. J. Blackford, Andrew
Bentz, Henry Bowman, Jacob Coover, Lewis
Strayer and William Sadler.*

*The Dillsburg Bank item is contributed by J. N. Logan.



The tannery business was carried on by va-
rious parties at an early date and there were
several distilleries in the vicinity. Daniel
Bailey owned a tannery for many years. The
Underwoods manufactured their celebrated
whips in Dillsburg for a time. Jacob Heiges
was known far and wide as a chair-maker.

General stores were kept by Jacob Lau-
man, Johnson Moore, Eleock Metzgar &
Co., Henry Sidel & Son, who are now
prominent citizens of Minneapolis, Minn.,
Lewis Spahr once owned a dry goods store.
Calvin Riegle and John Arnold started
the first hardware store. Beitzel & Bend
er, M. Arnold & Son and A. D. Altland now
own dry goods and grocery stores; J. A. Ar-
nold, hardware; L. H. Watts, drug store;
Noah Heiges and J. F. Reai'ick, shoe stores;
John A. Smith & Co., stove and tin store; J.
M. Porter, clothing store; F. Lau, flour and
feed store; S. N. Bailey & Bro., and AV. H.
Bryson, warehouses; Augustus Hursh and
Attieks & (!o., lumber yards. There have
been a number of coach shops and cabinet-
maker shops at different times.

The Nelson House, for a long time the site
of Sidei's tavern, was built in 1863. The
Howard House has long been a hotel stand.

After the completion of the Dillsburg &
Meehanicsburg Railroad, the business inter-
ests of the town began to increase rapidly,
and it has since been known as an important
grain market.

The Dillsburg Bulletin is a wide-awake
local journal, under the proprietorship and
editorial management of E. W. Shapley.
Special attention is paid to its local depart-
ment, and it has thus become one of the es-
sentials of the town and surrounding coun
try, enjoying a large pati-onage, and is much
valued by its readers. The paper was start-
ed in 1876 as the Neiv Era by G. W.
Nichols.

Physicians. — Dr. Ai-mstrong Dill, a young
man of great promise in his profession, and
a graduate of the University of Pennsylva-
nia, died here December 31, 1788, at the age
of twenty- seven years.

Drs. William Wireman and Solomon Mar-
teemie lived in the vicinity when the town
was laid out and many years later. Drs.
Armstrong and Torbet owned a drug store in
the village in 1826. Dr. George L. Shearer,
a man of fine intelligence, and great public
spirit, practiced medicine in the village for
fifty-two years, and died in 1880. The names
of other physicians who have practiced here
are James Shearer, Ebert, Ziegler, Longeck-
er. Free, W. H. Coover, W. W. Farrell, P.
i D. Baker, W. D. Bailey, M. L. Wolford,




1a:^y77&



CARROLL TOAV^^SHIP.



655



George P. Arnold, George Carmony and J.
O. Hoffman.

Postofflce. — The postoffiee was established
at Dillsbnrg in 1815. Mr. Gillen was
postmaster before 1828, and during that
year Dr. George L. fjhearer was appointed
and served seventeen years. His successors
in order of appointment were J. B. Hurst, in
1845; Mrs. Mary Stewart, 1849; Henry
G. Sidel, in 1853; Alexander Wentz,
in 1858; Dr. T. L. Cabhcart, in 1861;
Augustus N. Eslinger, in 1863, and served
with great acceptability until July, 1885,
when Lemuel Koss was appointed.

CHUKCHES.

Dillsburg Presbyterian Church. — The Pres-
byterian Church in Dillsburg, ecclesiastically
known as the ''Monaghan Church," derives
its name from the township in which it was
originally located. The exact year of the
organization cannot be -determined, but
preaching services were held as early as 1737.
Hence, it is one of the very oldest churches
in the county.

The original house of worship was a log-
structure, and stood about a quarter of a
mile southwest of the present site at what is
known as "the old graveyard." The com-
mittee to judge of the location was appoint-
ed in 1760, and it was likely built during
the following summer. Tradition says that
for some years -after the church was built
the Indians continued to lurk in the regioo
near to it, or make hostile incursions into
the neighborhood, so that for the sake of
protection, ramparts were built around the
church, and a part of the congregation were
accustomed to bring their firearms with
them. It also says that the Kev. Dr. John
McDowell, afterward provost of the Univer-
sity of Pennsylvania, attributed his conver-
sion, when but a youth of eight years of
age, to a sermon preached in that first house
of worship by Eev. George Duffield, from
Zech. ix: 12: "Turn ye to the stronghold, ye
prisoners of hope;" in which he took occa-
sion to illustrate, from the surrounding for-
tifications, the fact that the Lord Jesus
Christ is the only sure defense for sinners.

The first settled pastor of this church, of
whom there is any knowledge, was Mr. Duf-
field, above referred to. Since 1761 he had
been pastor of the Presbyterian Church in
Carlisle, and in November, 1769, he was in-
stalled over the church of Monaghan for one-
third of his time, at a salary of £50 a year.
He continued till 1772, when he accepted a
call to the Third Presbyterian Church of
Philadelphia, where he is said to haye estab-



lished the first prayer meeting ever held in
any Presbyterian Church in that city. Mr.
Duffield was a man of marked ability, and
an earnest and fearless advocate of civil and
religious liberty. He was for a while chap-
lain of the Continental Congress; was one of
two who, under the direction of congress,
superintended the printing of the first Amer-
ican edition of the Bible in English (pub-
lished in Philadelphia in 1782); served as
colonel in the Revolutionary war; and was
the first stated clerk of the Presbyterian
General Assembly. His portrait hangs in
Independence Hall. His second wife was a
sister of Gen. John Armstrong, the hero of
the battle with the Indians at Kittanning,
Penn., whose son was secretary of war under
President Madison.

Monaghan Church was very loth to part
from this her first pastor, and Andrew Mc-
Dowell, James Dill. Col. Matt Dill, Kobert
Stephenson and Joseph Dodds were sent to
Presbytery to remonstrate against his re-
moval, but he felt constrained to go.

The next pastor was Kev. Samuel Waugh,
who began his labors in 1782, and whose
charge consisted of Monaghan and East
Pennsborough (Silver's Spring) Churches. He
was a native of "Carrol's Tract," in Adams
County, Penn., graduated at Nassau Hall in
1773, and on the 14th of April, 1783, was
married to Eliza, daughter of David Hoge,
of what is now Hogestown, Penn. "He was a
sound divine, a very acceptable preacher, and
highly esteemed by his people,'' — " a most
worthy and excellent man.'' He remained
pastor of Monaghan Church till his death in
1807.

The following is a copy of the subscrip-
tion paper for Mr. Waugh's support. The
original is in the hands of Mr. John O'Hail,
of Dillsburg :

"We, the subscribers, do promise to pay,
the sums annexed to our names yearly, on
the 1st of May, unto the Rev. Samuel
Waugh, or any collector, for his use while
he continues minister of the united congre-
gations of East Pennsborough and Monaghan,
and we continue in the bounds of said con-
gregation, or in case any of us fail to make
payment on the 1st of May aforesaid, we
will, before the administration of the sacra-
ment in said year, give a note for said pay-
ment on short credit.

"Witness our hand April 28, 1791. ■



George Dickey . 15

William Barber 10

.James Crocket 10

George Crocket 7

John Crocket 15



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



Matthew Trotter 7 6

William Scott 1 -^ ••

Samuel Scott 7 6

Thomas Haines 15 ..

RobertLeech 10 ..

John Lamb 15 10

William Ross 15 ..

John Nesbit 1 8 ..

Alex Nesbit 15 ..

William Nelson 15 ..

Alex Ross 13 6

John McClellan 1 .. ..

William Mitchell 1 10 ..

Andrew Sana 7 6

Allen Torbet 17 6

Charles Brewster 15 ..

Peter Leman 15 ..

JohnFulton 10 ..

Daniel Williams 1 5 ..

Andrew Wilson 1 .. ..

John Anderson 18 9

Graham Anderson 10 ..

Andrew Bailey 10 ..

Samuel Nelson 1 13 6

Henry Logan 12 6

Alex"Hannah 10

Edward O'Hail 1 .. ..

William Wall 5 6

Isaac Wall, Jr 5 ..

James Blair 15 ..

William Gillespie 7 6

Jus Dennison 13 6

William Fan-a 1 .^ ..

John May • • . ■ 15 . .

Thomas Black 15 ..

Thomas Gray 8 4

John Cross 15 . .

Joseph Dickson 1 .. ..

James McMuUen 1 3 ..

RobertMoody 10 6

Thomas Dill 10 ..

Thomas Campbell 1 10 . .

James Dill 3 .. ..

Robert Cunningham 1 .. ..

John Caruthers 1 10 . .

Daniel Carpenter 17 6

James Kennedy 17 6

ThomasBonner ..7 6

John Bonner 10 ..

George Robinett 15 ..

George Smith 10 ..

AlexSanderson 15 ..

John Moorhead 10 . .

Louis Williams 1 10 ..

Lawrence McCafEerty 10 ..

William Porter 1 . . . .

John Porter 12 6

Abram Williams 12.^

Joanna Young 7 (i

Jessie Fulton 7 d

Daniel McCurdy 1

John Devlin 11 S

George Dill 10 ..

MattDill 2 10 ..

Joseph Roseberry 12 C

William Trimble 13 i

John Swan 13 f.

John Williams 3 10 ..

Robert Elliott 7 C

Thomas Dill 17 (

John Wilson 1 10 ..

John Bailey 15 ..

Joseph Elliott 17 (

.John White 7 1

John Bronkerhoof 7 t

William Dorsou 7 t

John Blair 7 (



-A



William Fleming 14

Paul Thompson 15 ..

John McCormic 5 ..

Francis Boggs 15 10

George Burns 8 4

John Daugherty 11 3

Joseph Bradely 1 1 3

Daniel Glass 15 ..

David Ayres 15 ..

James McKin 7 6

John Mitchell 15 ..

William Parks 15 ..

Thomas Hummer 7 6

William Morril 7 6

Widow Dorson 7 6

In 1782, the first year of Mr. Waugh's
pastorate, a new church was built and the
location changed to the one at present
occupied. This was a stone structure, about
50 feet long, 40 feet wide, and 15 feet high
to the ceiling, entered by two doors, the one
at the south and the other at the east. The
pulpit, which was small and elevated, with a
sounding board suspended overhead, was at
the north side. A small stone building about
fifteen square, with a fire-place in the north-
west corner, was attached to the north side
of the church. This was called "the study,"
but was also used as a school -room, a session-
room, a prayer-room, and a fuel-room.

In March, 1809, the Rev. John Hayes —
antecedently Professor of Languages in
Dickinson College, where he was graduated
in 1805 — became Mr. Waugh's successor, and
continued till 1815. He was a poet of no
mean reputation. In 1807, he published a
volume entitled " Ritral Poems, Moral and
Descriptive, to which are added Poems on
several Subjects." He resigned his charge on
account of ill health and died a few months
afterwards, among his friends in Cumber-
land, Md.

During the pastorate of Mr. Hayes (1813),
the church building, described above, was
burnt, the fire originating in the small build-
ing attached, but in the following year it
was repaired, and entirely remodeled inside.
After Mr. Hayes retired this church seems
to have had no regular pastor for fifteen
years. But during much of that time the
pulpit was supplied by many different minis-
ters. Among these were Rev. Dr. Alexander
McClelland, and Rev. Nathaniel R. Snowden,
grandfather of Col. A. Louden Snowden.
The Rev. Nathaniel Todd, afterward a
venerable preacher and teacher in western
Pennsylvania, supplied the congregation for
some time, and it was during his incumbency
that the old and long cherished Rouse version
of the Psalms gave way to the Psalms and
Hymns of Watts — a measure which occa-
sioned no little dissatisfaction and



CARROLL TOWNSHIP.



some of the members from the church. Of
the others who supplied during this long
vacancy may be mentioned Rev. Drs. Cath-
cart, of York; Krebs. of New York; Duffield,
of Carlisle, and DeWitt, of Harrisburg.

The next pastorate was that of Rev. Ander-
son B. Quay, Which extended from 1830 till
1739. In 1831, this church, in common
with the other churches of Carlisle Presby-
tery, enjoyed a season of refreshing. The
meetings at this church, in 1831, were so
largely attended that on one occasion, while
Rev. James Williamson, of Silver's Spring,
was preaching to those who found room
inside the church, Mr. Duffield, of Carlisle,
was preaching it to those outside. It was
during this pastorate, perhaps, that there
occurred the first agitation of the temperance
cause in this neighborhood. One Sabbath
morning as Mr. Quay was about to enter the
pulpit, a note was put into his hand asking
him to announce an anti -temperance meeting
to be held in the church on a certain day.
When the proper time came Mr. Quay read
the note and then announced: "There will
be no anti -temperance meeting held in this
church, or, if there is, I will take my little
family by the hand, and leave the place im-
mediately 1" That anti-temperance meeting
was held outside of the church.

Mr. Quay's pastorate was succeeded by
an interval of stated supplies; among them
Rev. A. T. McGill, D. D. of Princetoa Theo-
logical Seminary, and, for two years, Rev.
Edmund McKinney, who afterward went as a
missionary among the Indians.

April 13, 1842, Rev. Joseph Murray, D.
D., then a licentiate of the Presbytery of
Carlisle, was ordained and installed and re-
mained sixteen years. His was not only one
of the longest pastorates, but, in many re-
spects, the most noteworthy and interesting,
though the salary at that time was only
$450 per year, this was his first and only
charge and was relinquished on account
of impaired health. W. D. Patterson a
young man then supplied the pulpit for about
eighteen months when he died. For a time
then the pulpit was filled by Rev. John R.
Agnew, an uncle of Mr. Patterson, and in
June, 1863, Rev. John 0. Proctor was in-
stalled as pastor. He, resigning in 1865,
was followed by supplies, among whom were
Rev. S. S. Orris now of the Princeton Col-
lege faculty.

In October, 1872, Rev. A. W. Hubbard,
now a missionary of the American Board
Christian Foreign Mission in Sivas, Turkey,
began a most earnest and fruitful pastorate
of eighteen months. He was followed by



Rev. J. Q. A. Fullerton, who remained from
June, 1873, till May, 1879, during which
time the present very tasteful and commodi-
ous parsonage was built. The present in-
cumbent, Rev. I. P. Barbor (to whom we are
under many obligations for this sketch),!
his labors in the autumn of 1879 and
installed pastor June 14, 1880.

The names of the ruling elders of this
church prior to 1830 cannot now be given,
but the following is a complete list of those
who have served since that date: George
Crockett, James Porter, James Black, G. W.
Howard, Goorge Dare, William Ross, Wash-
ington Jones, Jacob Ritner, Jacob B. Hurst,
James (Jlark, Daniel Bailey, Matthew Porter,
Washington Williams and John N. Logan.
Of the many sons and daughters of this
church who have gone forth to honorable
service in other fields, may be mentioned Revs.
Calvin W., John and Robert Mateer of China,
Rev. Thomas Black, Rev. Thomas Elcock,
now a venerable pastor in Van Wert, Ohio,
Rev. George L. Shearer, D. D., of the Amer-
ican Tract Society, New York, Rev. Fred.
E. Shearer, editor of The Occident, San
Francisco, Rev. W. H. Logan of Millerstown,
Penn., and Rev. B. B. Blair, who, with Rev.
Thomas Blaek, died soon after entering the
ministry.

October 23, 1882, the 100th anniversary
of the occupation of the present site of
the church was made the occasion of a very
delightful reunion of former members and
friends, most prominent among the exercises
of which was the delivery of historial ad-
dresses by Rev, Drs. Joseph A. MuiTay and

i George L. Shearer, from whose manuscripts
are gleaned most of the facts given above.

Methodist Episcopal Church. — The first
Methodist preacher to visit Dillsburg and
hold services, was Elisha Butler, from the
Gettysburg Circuit, about the year 1834.

i The first preaching services were held in the
house of Mrs. Marks on Main Street, west
corner of first alley west of public school

' building. Preaching was afterward held in
a small house on corner of public square,
where now stands the store room of John

! Smith. After this, in a small schoolhouse

' east of town, near the old York road. Revs.
Brown and Jones were then pastors.

The first class was organized about the

! year 1836, in the house of Mother McGuire,

! on South Railroad Street, and was composed
of William Burns, leader, Mrs. Burns,
Mother McGuire, Widow Marks, and Miss

I Eliza Johnson, (now Mrs. Alex Billifelt).
In 1843 the church, on West Main Street,
was built. Rev. Thomas Myers was then pas-



638



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY.



tor, with Thomas Fulton, class leader. Mr.
Fulton afterward entered the ministry, and
John McMullen became leader.

The original board of trustees was com-
posed of Thomas Jones; John S. McMullen,
Jacob Dorsheimer, John Hyer, Jacob Byer,
George Webbert and Eobert Nelson.

The church was dedicated by Dr. Durban,
then president of Dickenson College.

The first Sunday-school was organized in
the church by Miss Rebecca Culver, then a
teacher in the public school, from Carlisle,
and Miss Eliza Johnson.

The church was repaired and enlarged in
1879.

The congregation was served by the fol-
lowing pastors, viz. : Revs. Elisha Butler,
Young, Monroe, Jones, Brown, Myers, Kel-
ler, Cook, N. S. Buckingham, C. Graham, R.
Norris, (Bishop) Hurst, G. W. Dunlap, Pret-
tvman, Alem Brittain, Moorehead, Melville
Brittain, J. A. Ross, J. W. Feight, J. B.
Shaver, H. R. Bender, C. W. Marshall, G.
M. Hoke, F. Rogerson, Dr^Clark, W. A.
Carver, R. H. Gilbert, J. Eckersley and J. F.
Anderson, present pastor. Present member-
ship is sixty-five, with Alex Billifelt as class
leader. The Sunday-school numbers 115
with John Mumper as superintendent.

St. PauVs Lutheran Ctiurch. — The first
religious services under the auspices of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Dillsburg,
were held in the sehoolhouse, and were con-
ducted by Rev. J. R. Focht. On the"25th of
August, 1855, a meeting was held for the
purpose of taking into consideration the
question of building a church. Nine per-
sons were appointed a committee to solicit
subscriptions. Of this number but two, H.
C. Smyser and George Lau, are now living.
December 1, $760 were raised,aQd on the loth,
a building committee was appointed, and on
the same day a lot was purchased on which to
build a church, which, by contract, was "to
be forty -five feet long, thirty- five feet wide,
and eighteen and one-half feet high. The
comb of the roof to contain a gallery on one
side." The contractor was George Lau.
The building was to cost $1,250. The
corner stone was laid May 3, 1856; and
the church dedicated November 16, of the
same year. Rov. Benjamin Kurtz, D. D., of
Baltimore, preached the dedicatory sermon.
The congregation was not properly organ-
ized, until the spring of 1857, when twenty-
four members signed the constitution. The
following pastors have served it : J. R.
Focht, from March 5, 1855, to March 5,
1859; Aaron Finfrock, from May 26, 1859,
to November 26, 1864; J. E. Groff, July 16,



1865, to October 1866; J. T. Williams,
from November 9, 1866, to July 16, 1867;
August Babb, from April, 1868, to March,
1869; J. K. Bricker, from March, 1869, to
February 1, 1871; D. Sell, from January 1,
1872, to May 10, 1874 ; H. D. Kuntz.
from April 1, 1874, to January, 1875; E.
Studebaker, from February 18, 1875, to
January 1, 1876: J. F. Dieterich, from Janu-
ary 1, 1876, to October 1, 1877; E. Minter,
from November 15, 1877, to March 29, 1881;
D. Stock, from May, 1881, to November,
1881; Adam Stump, from November 1, 1881,
to present^ time. Some of these persons
were only supplies. The Sunday-school is in
a good condition.



SCHOOLS.

Tbe schools of Dillsburg have long had
an excellent reputation. The site of the
old school building is where the present
one stands. In that building Prof. S. B.
Heiges andhisbrother.George W.Heiges,Esq.,
who are natives of this village, taught, and
greatly assisted in popularizing the cause of
education in the town and vicinity. A num-
ber of other persons who have since gained
more or less prominence, taught here.

The fine two-story, brick sehoolhouse, lo-
cated in the south end of Baltimore Street,
was built in 1877, at a cost of 13.500. The
teachers of the grammar department since
then, have been George W. Nichols, W. W,
Grove, M. R. Beck, J. B. Firestone, R. For
rest and S. H. Bradley; of the primary de-
partment, Ida M. Diller, J. C. Mumper, J,
B. Firestone, Kate Gohn and Sallie J. Kerr
The board of directors for 1885 are Dr.
M. L. Wolford, president; M. J. Bailey, sec
retary; S. M. Chronister, L. H. Watts, John
Atticks and Samuel Altland.

CONFEDERATE INVASION.

During the invasion of 1863, on a Sun
day evening in June, a detachment of Gen.
Ewell's corps of Confederate soldiers, com
ing from Carlisle, entered Dillsburg un
der command of Col. Jenkins. They en
camped south of town a quarter of a mile,
and sent out foraging parties through the
country and in the mountains to capture
horses. There were many horses concealed
in the South Mountains, which were taken
by them. The day after the engagement
at Hanover, a portion of Stuart's cavalry,
under command of Gen. Fitz Hugh Lee,
passed through town toward Carlisle, and ac-
companying them was a part of same troop,
under command of Gen. Wade Hampton.
The two leading stores were robbed of about



CARROLL TOWNSHIP.



$300 worth of goods, and $30 were demand-
ed of the postmaster. They encamped for
the night on John Mumper's farm, north of
town. The camp was waked up just after
midnight, and one party of them took the
Mountain road, and the other the State road
toward Gettysburg, where the great battle
had already begun.

MILITARY.

Dillsburg was a noted place for mili-
tary parades, Fourth of July celebrations,
and encampments of the volunteer compa-
nies. Jacob Spidel, half a century ago, had a
well drilled company, and Col. S. N. Bailey,
at a later date, became a skilled military offi-
cer. On battalion days he was frequently
the commander of all the militia and volun-
teer soldiers that assembled here and at Lew-
isberry. During the civil war he entered the
service as colonel of the Seventh Pennsylva-
nia Reserves.

Henry Logan, Thomas Campbell, J. Will-
iams, James McClure and J. Eslinger, father



Online LibraryJohn GibsonHistory of York County Pennsylvania From the Earliest Time to the Present → online text (page 134 of 218)